Post Mortem: Is The Mentalist's Red John Saga Truly Over? And 7 More Burning Qs Answered

Get More: Scoop, Spoilers

The Mentalist Red John Sheriff McAllisterWarning: The following contains red-hot spoilers from this Sunday’s episode of The Mentalist.

The hunt is — at long last — over.

This Sunday on CBS’ The Mentalist, Patrick Jane (played by Simon Baker) got his man, and then some. Meaning: Red is dead.

RELATED | The Mentalist‘s Amanda Righetti Confirms Exit, Teases ‘Surprise’ Send-Off For Van Pelt

Heading into the pivotal hour, with Reede Smith having turned himself in and snitched on The Blake Association, there was only one living suspect left from Jane’s list: CBI boss Gale Bertram. But with his bureau involuntarily disbanded and the FBI watching the agent’s every move, Jane laid low — until Bertram reached out to set up a meet.

With some doing, Jane gave the Feds the slip and confronted Bertram (with his lackey Cordero) in the chapel at the cemetery where his wife and daughter, both victims of Red John, were buried. Thing is, Bertram isn’t actually the serial killer Jane has hunted all these years. After after being put down by Cordero, the real Red menace reared his head, approaching from the back of the sanctuary.

Sheriff Tom McAllister, whose death had been presumed-slash-faked in the explosion at Jane’s house.

RELATED | The Mentalist Promotes Emily Swallow to Series Regular Ahead of Dec. 1 Debut

Jane seemed not surprised, nor was he — as he would explain, he knew that whatever “truth” was presented in the wake of the explosion had to be a misdirect. In fact, Jane was wholly prepared for McAllister, deftly depositing some bread crumbs in the sheriff’s palm before producing a pigeon from his coat pocket, siccing it on his ornithophobic adversary. Jane then whipped out a gun he had proactively strapped beneath the front pew and winged Red John, only to see him slip away when a femme follower (clumsily) charged at him from the back with a knife.

Jane would catch up to his wounded archenemy, pinning him down on the grass in broad daylight and asking if he was afraid to die (answer: yes), before proceeding to choke the life out of him, their decade-long dance ended. And as the hour closed, we saw Jane leave a message for Lisbon that he’s OK and will miss her, before fleeing the scene, running off to…?

CLICK TO PAGE 2 FOR ANSWERS TO BURNING QUESTIONS ABOUT RED JOHN, THE MENTALIST‘S FUTURE AND… THAT BIRD

Pages: 1 2

Comments (260)

• i was disappointed i expected a better showdown
    & was really hoping it was going to be stiles
    but even after the reveal i expected more out of Xander Berkeley i know he can play psychopath better than that. it’s almost they waited until the very last minute to choose who red john was then didn’t have enough time to write a proper ending

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – November 24, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very well said, Michael ~

The ending did not measure up to the depth of the story. I can honestly say I have no interest in Mentalist 2.0

Comment by DeeDee – November 24, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, and my wife and I will not watch either. The writing and the way it played out made for a poor resolution to such a long story line. I, along with the largest audience in TV history at the time, watched the finale of The Fugitive TV series back in the 60′s and it was so much more satisfying. At least we knew who the “one-armed man” was long before the final episode, which enhanced rather than diminished the ending.

Comment by GregK – November 24, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • At first I was a little let down, then several things hit me.
          Frist: Red John wanted the “Game”, Jane wanted revenge plan and simple, the more twists the more it gave power to Red John, by not allowing it to turn into something more, the simplicity of revenge is what allowed Jane to defeat Red John.
          Second: Red John assumed that Patrick was an ego pride driven man like himself, he killed his family because of it, Jane won because in the end Jane took him out without fanfare.
          Third: This was not a series ender so answering all the questions is just lazy writing, leave them wanting more.
          I was expecting more, and in the end, I was left feeling a little unsatisfied, however, I think that is what made it work so well, after all Jane could not save his wife or child, he change what happened. He could make it go away, and for a man who started out seeking the world’s praise and attention, he walked away quietly and alone, mission accomplished. I wanted a bunch of answers as a viewer, but in the end it was not about answers it was about revenge and justice.

Comment by Mike – November 25, 2013 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Another quick thought: The taking down of Red John was played out of the past several episodes, no more Tyger, Tyger, no CBI for info, Jane forced the hand of Red John, by taking down all that made him powerful, what we saw is what was left, he was bleeding and wounded before this episode began in a sense.

Comment by Mike – November 25, 2013 01:20 AM PDT
          • Wanting the game is a good insight.

Comment by prish – November 25, 2013 10:22 AM PDT
          • Well said.

Comment by susan – November 25, 2013 04:12 PM PDT
          • you need a life..If you read what bruno heller (show writer) was thinking writing this episode and those before it, you would know your going way overboard.

Comment by john – December 1, 2013 06:12 PM PDT
      • I agree, the sheriff was actually likeable. He did not fit Red John at all but I will continue to watch this entertaining show.

Comment by Janice – November 29, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why the smily face,why kill his family,why face on barn when he younger.so many questions horrible ending.

Comment by joe – November 25, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He killed Jane’s family after Jane called him out on T.V. back when Jane was still running his psychic/con-man scam. That was made clear in the pilot and in several other episodes of the past 5 1/2 seasons.

Why the smiley face? No idea. Whey the smiley face on the barn? Probably because that was where he first killed someone while a member of Visualize.

Comment by Jack Sweeney – November 25, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very disappointed with this episode. It sucked…

Comment by Alex – November 24, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. So long Simon Baker, and the most boring actors in the history of television.

Comment by Jinko – November 25, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • GUYS SHERIFF IS NOT RED JOHN
        It’s the woman!!!
        Red john only kills with a knife- like the woman had
        Bertram said he had never met/know who red john was- him and sheriff are friends bc they talk a lot at work
        If red john was so powerful, SHE could have so many people working for her and they never see her real face.
        Woman serial killers are very rare, therefore making this case even harder
        It shows the woman 3 times in a 5 min range and clearly focused the camera on her knife
        At the very end when Jane had sheriff pinned down, and asked for him to blink once if yes and twice if no
        Sheriff blinked twice for if he was sorry for killing he’s family and if he was the one who did kill them and sheriff blinked twice for both of them and genuinely looked shocked and innocent
        SO RED JOHN IS STILL THERE, and she’s a woman.

Comment by SHERIFF IS NOT RED JOHN – November 26, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Do you who the “woman” was? Susan Tunney, Robin’s (Lisbon) real life sister. I don’t think this was great casting and if she was RJ, Patrick foiled this great serial killer with an Alter candle.

Comment by Cast member relative – November 28, 2013 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The woman in the chapel was played by Kamala López-Dawson. I think Susan Tunney was the woman walking around outside in the cemetery.

Comment by GeekinTexas – November 30, 2013 08:50 AM PDT
        • No, he asked him to blink once for No and twice for Yes.
          The sheriff blinked twice, to say that he was sorry for killing Jane’s wife and daughter.

Comment by fghjklsdrghdey – December 1, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To me it either Lisbon Patrick himself or a family member from the circus

Comment by Seba – December 5, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I just set my expectations too high, but this was a bit of a letdown. The choice of McCallister as the identity of Red John was OK though I expected more twists in the plot and maybe for Red John to be a bit more maniacal. The fact that he was such a coward begging Jane not to kill him also didn’t fit with a character would who so deeply embedded in the lore of this show.

Comment by nowwhat – November 24, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I disagree that begging for his life was out of character for Red John. It’s not uncommon for people who get off on controlling others, planting fear and seizing power to actually be quite cowardly when it comes to their own mortality. In that moment Jane flipped the table. McCallister was no longer the one with the upper hand. He was no longer in control and pulling strings. He wasn’t the one with the power to take life or give it. I would imagine that for someone that thrives on being in control of life and death, suddenly losing control is terrifying.

Comment by mrsdp – November 26, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with “nowwhat”…”WHAT” Heller portrayed for 6 seasons forgot to show for the finale, because the creator knows his creation is about to be no more. The ratings were bad enough before this fiasco…who wants to ride the now untrustworthy and illogical bus to nowhere but the “john”! Again, please flush and wash your hands. Like Johnnie Cochran once argued in the OJ trial…”If it does not fit, you must quit.”(Heller version) The final portrayal of RJ just did not match what had been presented for 6 seasons. If it (the RJ finale) were a dinner plate I had not ordered, I would not send it back. I would personally run like Patrick back into the kitchen and throw it in the cook’s face. Blink once or blink twice, I don’t really give a rat’s ass, but here it comes…POW!!!!!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 27, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think the ending was week , the sherif real sense red john mh ,but i think the mole should be Telesa Lisbon

Comment by kenny – November 27, 2013 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I honestly didn’t like the red john closure at all I mean we waited for years to know more about him and the only thing that gets revealed is basically his identity.. I wish they would’ve made a double episode of just Jane interacting with red john in which we would find out more details about the show which would be told by each of their perspectives.. It was just so disappointing to me and now it’s like the show just went back to normal like nothing happened tbh. Completely killed my interest in the show. And I honestly hope they don’t make some kind of plot twist where we find out there’s some other red john bc that would just be plain ridiculous

Comment by HF – February 19, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy moly! What an unbelievable episode! After last week, I was firmly in the somebody faked their death camp. That scene with McA at the end was so intense. I’m so satisfied with this resolution, and as much as I want to know about the immediate aftermath, I can’t wait to see Mentalist 2.0.

Simon Baker deserves every acting award on Earth for those last five minutes.

Comment by Brad Kimberly – November 24, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your points. I feel great with this ending.

Comment by Even4601 – November 29, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmm…
      1. Proper use of grammar throughout the comment
      2.No offense but your name sounds made up
      3. You only give extremely positive comments, probably to counterbalance all the negativity

I conclude that this is a comment made by someone who is associated with the making of the show, done to shine a more positive light in the finale. This is commonly done to make the show seem more liked by the audience.

Anyway I enjoyed the finale, despite a few of the flaws
      i.e Jane was searched before entering the chapel, the man found a gun but not a pigeon in his pocket? The ending, running off in slow-mo was rather “cheesy” in my opinion. I will however continue to watch the mentalist as it usually a great show.

Comment by StJohn the grate speller – December 13, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wish I worked for the show. Seriously. That would be amazing.

I spell well because I paid attention in school. Name isn’t made up as a simple Google search would reveal (I’m related to the people who make Kleenex). I posted almost 10 minutes after the episode concluded. Not enough time to see the negative posts.

I’m still happy with the episode all these months later. That said, I would have LOVED to see an episode where we saw one or more past events from Red John’s perspective.

Comment by Brad Kimberly – February 24, 2014 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been following the fan outrage for the past few days ever since the morons at CBS placed the full episode unprotected on a public website. It’s amusing to see fans of a dumb procedural be outraged that they were given a dumb resolution. What did you expect?

Comment by Red John – November 24, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the episode was good. But the fact that Heller says that he isn’t going to explain anything about Red John is ridiculous. We waited six seasons, for no explanation of the whole reason for the show? While I think Berkeley is a good choice for Red John, there was no context or character development of Red John this season (even after all 8 episodes had parts about him). The end of season 3 and Whitford was a better ending.

Comment by Derek Davis – November 24, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The Red John saga should have ended with Whitford. There were so many illogical steps and leaps of faith that one took with this finale…I stopped watching after the Whitford wrap-up, and only watched tonight’s episode to see if I’d made a mistake in prematurely ending my interest in the show. Nope, no mistake – pretty craptacular. Especially with Red John doing the 7-minute mile after being shot in the abdomen….

Comment by octopus – November 24, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. The red John crap should have ended with Whitford,who at least had red hair. I liked earlier than that, the flashbacks to Janes early days as a kid, giving background and motivation to his career and insigts into cases. The best part was showing the “psychic” field to be a major con and how it is like Magik meets pickpockets.

Comment by reidh – November 25, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. Whitford was a worthy Red John. It should have ended with him. Charasmatic, controlled. The writing was beautiful. I watched it over and over. Why they had to draw out the story line with this unrealistic crap is the real mystery. The 7 possible Red Johns suspects was pathetic. I can’t make the leap to believing gorgeous women were willing to kill for any of these six over the hill seniors. I was hoping it was Cho or Rigby or CBI’s own redhead, Van Pelt. Any one of these could have pulled it off. Very disappointing end to an overdrawn story line. Really does make you not want to invest anymore time in this poor story telling…Unless, Van Pelt is the daughter of Red John…
        Hmmm…

Comment by Anita – November 26, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ” I can’t make the leap to believing gorgeous women were willing to kill for any of these six over the hill seniors.”

I take it that you do not know who Xander Berkeley is married to then…? :-)

Comment by Kennybhoy – December 18, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought the final was good. it was also final. nice jumping off point in future. Ill admit part of me will miss the red john story though.

Comment by mainecane – November 24, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a horrible episode and a joke. Seriously, we are supposed to believe he had that bird in his pocket the whole time…car accident, running etc and it never got loose or made a noise or anything? After watching the last person of interest episode which was amazing, watching this shows huge reveal and biggest episode ever felt like amateur hour!

Comment by Nicole – November 24, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show has always had a magician in control mood. The bird seems fitting. This is not Criminal Minds, SVU, or other gruesome shows. This is more Magnum, P.I. meets Miami CSI.

Comment by prish – November 24, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He had a rabbit in his other pocket, and a big long scarf too.

Comment by Jamie – November 25, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With that kind of build up, that ending was weak.

Comment by sladewilson – November 24, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “One of the things you discover when these figures of great evil are unmasked in real life is…. they tend not to be very interesting…”

Sorry, but I think that’s a huge cop-out. This isn’t life; it’s television. Is it really so much to ask that Heller make good on his promise of the past six years? Red John was built up to be Hannibal Lecter, a truly brilliant and fearless mastermind. Yet he turned out to be a sad little wimpy whiny man who’s afraid of pigeons, and who inexplicably brought a lady with a knife to a gunfight. /sigh

I think I’ll try to erase the past three seasons of The Mentalist from my memory and remember the excellent Bradley Whitford as a much better Red John.

Comment by DL – November 24, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said. I really expected more and I’m not even one of those people who were demanding the end of the Red John storyline. The Bradley Whitford finale was aweosme and far superior to this ending They really should have stuck to that.

Comment by tripoli – November 25, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But if Timothy Carter was Red John, how to explain Red John’s many connections inside the police (CNI FBI…) ? When I saw all these evidences stolen, these accomplices shot or burnt alive before they could talk, I thought that it was impossible to have all this achieved by one single man. It was like some kind of Pr. Moriarty ! A large organization of dirty cops, each one owing something to the others, each one unable to denounce the others without denouncing himself is somehow more plausible. And Red John ends up being indeed less a crime genius than the “ugly, sad little man” Jane had imagined at first. Not a bad ending on that point of view.
      On the other end, as Mc Alister has no charisma at all, it’s quite hard to imagine him seducing women as different as Rosalind and Lorelei.

Comment by Liz – November 25, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that Mc Alister had no charisma and was not believable as “Red John” the powerful cult leader, who could control people, especially women, and get them to do his bidding. Seriously, all the women who supposedly loved him and sacrificed their lives to keep his secret??? He didn’t fit the image of Red John that was portrayed in the story line all these years.

Comment by susie s. – November 26, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Liz, don’t forget that it never had to be Red John himself who seduced Rosalind, Lorelei etc., but rather only one of the compliant members of the Blake Association. This is why I would not be surprised if Red John were the woman with the knife, especially since she was seen evading police and fleeing the scene. Perhaps this short shot of her escaping was only to tie up a loose end, but at the same time, why keep her alive and free if she were inconsequential, and her escape were only for the completeness of the plot? With all that said, I believe McA made a convincing Red John plot-wise (and Jane believes/believed he was Red John – after all the confusion, surely Jane would make sure he killed the right guy this time?!). It would be a great shame to have yet another misfire in the Red John saga. Yet I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see more of that woman…(for those who continue watching!!)

Comment by BakerBoy – December 17, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the CBS page “who is Red John?” the Sheriff’s picture was in the middle and was the only one looking straight ahead. Another suspect photo from CBS also had him in the middle. Subtle clues if they intended it that way.

Comment by 2 years into the Future – November 24, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care how friendly that pigeon was. It should have been found when Jane was patted down outside the chapel. Seriously dumb stunt, even dumber way for Jane to outsmart Red John.

Comment by RockGolf – November 24, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He had a rabbit in his other pocket, and that really long scarf too.

Comment by Jamie – November 25, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So funny. You’re right.

Comment by Anita – November 26, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a ridiculous episode. The fact that this “poll” suggests anything better than an F is a joke. Horrible ending to this story line. I’m going to close my eyes and pretend “Strawberries and Cream” was the real end to this show and leave it at that. What a waste of three more years for nothing.

Comment by TKD – November 24, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you TKD…you just made my night with that comment…bless your heart! LOL

Comment by 3 kids under 4 years – November 24, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by Bianca – November 24, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve decided Bradley Whitford was Red John. That was a much more satisfying episode and resolution.

Comment by HWah – November 24, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the things you discover when these figures of great evil are unmasked in real life is…. they tend not to be very interesting….

IM sorry Bruno but that is just a major cop out. Red John as Built up to be this great evil master mind yet you reveal him to be this whiny old man come on Bruno this is Television for heaven sake not real life.

Bradley Whitford reveal at end of season 3 was so much better so you proved you could write a good red john ending.

Comment by steve – November 24, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I imagine they decided this was not going to be the Red John Show. They gave the monster as much air time as he deserved, imho.

Comment by prish – November 24, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched every episode at least once, some several times. All I can say is the good will Heller built up over the years by presenting us with filet mignon quality of creativity, surprise and suspense all went down the “JOHN” with this embarrassing finale. I regret having spent the last week bloviating about the clues and potential identity of all the list characters. Heller seemed to have awakened some morning a couple weeks ago and said, “oops, almost forgot, we have to reveal Red John. Put something together, WHATEVER, and don’t forget to flush and wash your hands”!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 24, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! This finale was so freaking ridiculous that I was in shock for couple of hours. I still am. I cannot believe they thought they can get away with some bs like this. I mean seriously if you don’t wanna do it, don’t start it from beginning. All that time wasted…

Comment by Bella – November 25, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking it was going to be Haffner…butt all in all the episode was pretty good. I was more bummed by the promo.

Comment by enri – November 24, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A very big letdown after all these years. The burning unanswered question that Jane would want to know. Why was his wife and child killed? But here with the killer about to expire in his hands, he never asks.

Comment by niky – November 24, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he killed them because jane called him out on national TV we’ve known that from day one
      jane tried to up his celebrity by riding red john’s publicity & it cost him everything

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – November 24, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Biggest disappointment I could have imagined. McAllistar was uncharismatic, unremarkable and exuded none of the superior intelligence that Jane does. I’m done with this show and it’s fast and loose writing. It could have been so good but the writers had no idea themselves who their megalomaniac villain was going to be until it was too late to tighten up their mess. What a waste. They don’t deserve Baker, he’s too talented and intelligent for their fumbling.

Comment by Michelle – November 24, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some murdering monsters are uncharismatic and unremarkable, with slug size and shape personality development. That’s why RJ had to go after Jane’s wife and child. Looking to be as big as his reputation. RJ kept shrinking inside. The more he killed, brilliantly, the more he shrank, more slug like. It works that way, sometimes. Some of the wimpiest worms have done the most horrific things.

Comment by prish – November 24, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can understand that inside he may have become a shrunken man. His soul, surely. Maybe the effects of a life of evil even took their toll physically. But for a man who was able to a.) get fanatical followers to risk prison time, or their lives, or even die at his whim; b.) create a network of thousands of dirty law enforcement officials who operate to cover themselves, true, but also function to protect his identity and cover his tracks, however heinous the injustices they must commit to do so; and c.) be genius enough to stay two steps ahead of our brilliant Jane for six seasons (genius that proved him capable of hypnotizing a woman into thinking she was dead – I mean, c’mom!) – for a man who was all those things, he was remarkably DULL. Someone capable of all of that ought to have some kind of draw, don’t you think? I saw nothing in McAllistar of that man, that flame to a moth, that master of a horde of psychotic and dedicated followers. I agree with what has been said over and over again here: the fake RJ from the end of season 3 – THAT man, I bought. Wholly. He too was nothing special in appearance. It was his MANNER that drew you in. All that confidence, that charisma, poise and intelligence. He just looked RIGHT sitting opposite Jane in a fitting picture of their rivalry. McAllistar could have looked like Joe Schmoe my neighbor for all I cared, as long as he had the presence. And he didn’t.

Comment by Michelle – November 25, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are lucky if you have never seen even a hint of what is underneath a wimpy worm looking person that has done horrific things. Keep your job. I find it interesting never to read posts by people working in certain fields that might have. Their electronic footprint is probably monitored, I guess. I imagine it was hard for the producers to come up with something that would work for both fans of Criminal Minds, SVU, Walking Dead, cable channel gruesomes, etc. and for the fans that can’t stand those kind of shows and never watch them. They might have let the Red John thread go on too long, but hey, that’s what an artist does — overdoing then refining. This was not perfect, but it was decent. Did you ever watch Glades? Worse calculations are out there, believe me.

Comment by prish – November 25, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nope, never seen Glades. I’ll have to take your word for it that it was worse. I’m not saying this episode was the worst I’ve ever seen. But compared to the season 3 finale and that version of RJ, this was IMO a wreck. And I work in a psych hospital so trust me, I’ve seen some things lol.

Comment by Michelle – November 25, 2013 06:44 PM PDT
        • Michelle very well written and you’re bang on.

Comment by Anita – November 26, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Patrick Jane character annoys me. It irks me to see him dressed every week as if he is a Saturday Night Fever wannabe. Is Jane supposed to be American? He dresses like what an Aussie thinks an American dresses like. Only thing he is 36 years behind the times.

Watched tonight to see what the hype was about but the character keeps me from getting in to the show.

What happens now that the main storyline is over? Are we supposed to care? This seemed like it was a series finally. How do you continue and keep interest. It’s like if McGarrett catches and gets the truth behind Wo Fat in season 1. What is the point of continuing?

Comment by ejknight – November 24, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He doesn’t dress a thing like any character from Saturday Night Fever!

Comment by Alex – November 24, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nobody does not force you to watch this series.

Comment by Karo – December 1, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in denial about how disappointing this episode was that I went back to watch all the Red John episodes. I have to say there was no excuse not to write brilliant episodes like those ones. It really was a joke. I cannot believe it. I feel betrayed as a dedicated fan. It isn’t so much the actors performances. It’s the writing and the narrative. Not only does events in the episode not make sense. But if you put a mystery up. You solve it. I’m sorry. An excuse such as “We wanted to make RJ look like a normal human being and it is just the fact that Patrick says ‘the rest is details’ does not cut it. If they could coin up an explanation for any normal episode the fans deserve explanations for the major storyline that has driven the show since day one. Quite frankly, it is what makes the Mentalist so different from the other crime dramas and don’t kid. Is the reason why fans are hooked in the first place. The only reason that some fans are sick of the RJ storyline is because its gone on too long not because they didn’t enjoy the story itself. Because it is this underlying story that dictates how the actors portray themselves that people have feel in love with. But even these fans I would imagine would have wanted a more satisfying end. They just wanted it to not drag on any longer. Doesn’t mean to say they didn’t want a quality story.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m OK with not making the red john killing the artistic masterpiece of the century episode.

Comment by prish – November 24, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said and very true. If they insisted upon dragging it out they should have delivered to the fans who have patiently waited all this time, and awaited with the expectation that the end of this saga would make SENSE. I keep reading that it’s a ‘procedural show’ as if that’s an excuse for the lack of freshness and creativity of the past three seasons. Very well if that’s your excuse as to why I’ve been bored to tears the past three years. But if it’s a procedural show, you’d darn well better write me an ending with a logical, believable pattern and a mastermind villain I can buy. ‘The rest is details’ my butt.

Comment by Michelle – November 24, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. IMO the suspense and explanations in the first 3 season were absolutely brilliant. I have to admit the Tiger Tiger concept was amazing. But its the execution and finer details that they completely butchered. If you are to make something that grand you have to tie up the loose ends. I’m not just saying this either. Both you and I and many other fans like us can come up with a list of unanswered questions that are reasonable for us to expect an answer to. It is not so much what happened in this episode that I was dissatisfied with it is more to do with what didn’t happen in this episode as well as the post reveal scenes that made absolutely no sense. The bomb explanation and Brett Partridge explanation made sense. I cannot believe that there were no flashbacks. I cannot believe this. One of my favourite things about the mentalist is that they have those flashbacks to explain exactly what happened. But in the most integral storyline of the series there wasn’t a single one. I didn’t care so much about how he got the list. But I wanted to know how he became RJ. What was his history? What was his connection to Visualise.. and how did he manage to setup the Blake Association. How did he leave Kristina Frye in a catatonic state? What was the need to kill Bret Partridge if he was a Blake Association member? Why is it we didn’t get any of the past clues coming up and considered? What did He is mar mean? Did Dumar O Laughlin and Todd Johnson have tattoos? If so how did Grace not notice? Why isn’t both Sophie and Rosalind’s clues brought up to explain to us that Patrick knew all along it couldn’t have been Bertrum. How is it that Kira Tinsley saw the Tattoo when he was killing her? Was it a mistake?

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Bazzle: He is mar most likely means “He is marshall.”

Anyways, Strawberries and Cream was the last episode of The Mentalist, the rest is just a bad dream.

Bruno Heller, you just killed this show and you will see ratings drop by 70%.

Over and out.

Comment by Ultradissapointed fan – November 25, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the way it was set up to be a “secret organization” of bad cops and political figures.
    But the last show did not stay true to this story line. I also thought that Red John should
    have been someone who at one point in time personally knew Jane and harbored some
    kind of vendetta toward him, which he settled by killing Jane’s wife and daughter. Then
    using that to taunt Jane which brought his revenge full circle. I was really surprised that
    it was a no name character who was really not very clever or smart, which makes me wonder how he evaded Jane all this time. Disappointing.

I do however love the character of Patrick Jane and I am looking forward to the next show.

Comment by Clara – November 24, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The whole reason for killing Janes wife and daughter was that he had dared to judge him without even knowing him…did you miss that whole thing? He even mentioned it in the episode.

I think Hellers got something up his sleeve, it was all too easy….

Comment by Stephen Wales – November 25, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the way kudos to the actors. Despite the tremendous mess of the writers. The actors did a fantastic job. Simon Baker and Xander Berkeley I thought did an amazing job. You have to remember than Berkeley was incredibly restricted by the script. It was absolutely crap.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m incredibly furious with Bruno Heller’s interview responses too. He sounds incredibly sure of himself and that he isn’t sorry for the episode. Man if I could chuck a rock at him I would.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it! there were way too many commercials though. Was it just me? It seemed like an abnormal amount. I wanted McCallister as Red John for ages now because I liked him. He was a like-able guy. So when he showed up I cheered. Really interested to see where they take this but… that minion chick of his being shown walking off. Please tell me we’re not gonna see Red Jane emerge.

Comment by Garnet74 – November 24, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the ending was right on. In real life, psychopaths (Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahlmer, etc,) can hide in plain sight. They’re not out on the streets raving and ranting. How many times do you read about or hear about neighbors, family and friends identifying a killer as being the nicest person in the world? They don’t expect to be caught or to die. They’re just cowards. I do agree that some of the show was stretching it a bit with the pigeon and that Red John could run that distance wounded as badly as he was.

Comment by JanT – November 24, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you on it being a fitting episode, with a tweak. I thought there could have been a little flaying around, during the choking. There are such mild mannered monsters in plain sight. I had a tutor that told me about his mother’s best friend’s body being found, years ago, and they never found the head. Eventually, after a lot of bodies had shown up they figured out who it was. When they spoke with his wife, she said he was always wonderful to her, never a cross word. This was in a small town that I won’t mention, and it is not “famous” but true. In the 80′s, I lived near a city lake with nice homes. One of the top lawyers in the area had a house. A mild milktoast knocked on the door, then someone answered it, then he steps in and shows a gun, then the lawyer tells his family to cooperate, then they all get down on the floor, then the guy zaps them with chloroform, then he kills them all. He had had a toy gun. So, I say tonight’s episode had a ring of truth.

Comment by prish – November 25, 2013 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Move over David Lindelof, Heller is much worse than you

Comment by AcE – November 24, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One flaw, for sure, in the pigeon in Jane’s pocket is that when Cordero shook him down and took the gun, how did he miss the bird? I guess I need to watch again and see if the gun was a diversion – Cordero found the gun and stopped patting him down, huh?!

Comment by Sandra Hedden Schumann – November 24, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jane told Lisbon that the gun was going to be used as a prop. The whole point was to use the obvious gun as misdirection so that he’d miss the true weapon.

Comment by Kendall – November 24, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And he only checked Jane’s legs and the lower half of his jacket. He stopped after he found the gun and never checked the upper torso or arms.

It’s funny how incompetent that guy was these last two episodes. The only thing he did right was fooling Bertram.

Comment by Kendall – November 24, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But you can only do your best and put it out there. I know that everyone here is happy and pleased. Sometimes you’re forced to hate the conclusions or the wrapping things up in silly, absurd ways or in fact — naming no shows — it turns out they didn’t have any idea how they were going to end the show or what the secret was or why there were polar bears. We have the answers and it’s very important to us, for those people who have been following us from the start, to reveal not in a series of cryptic moments that leave a lot of questions begged. We’re going to tell the story and explain who Red John is and what happened and what is going to happen as clearly as possible because the audience deserves that.

EITHER HOLLYWOOD REPORTER IS INCREDIBLY DECEITFUL OR THIS IS THE BIGGEST LIE FROM ANY DIRECTOR EVER. I FEEL LIKE HELLER IS A FINANCIAL CORPORATE THAT HAS LOST ALL MY INVESTMENT. PLEASE SOMEONE WHOS IN LA GIVE HIM WHAT HE DESERVES. AT LEAST EMBARASS HIM NEXT TIME HE IS IN THE SPOTLIGHT.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT A ARROGANT HYPOCRITE HE IS. MAKING FUN OF OTHER PEOPLES SHOWS and then GIVING US THIS CRAP.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 24, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I was spoiled by the promo since it had McAllister’s hand appear in it. promo monkeys should have been more careful.

This makes me sad that Stiles and Haffner were innocent all along.

I wish Reed Diamond was included in Mentalist 2.0

Comment by fabaa – November 24, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please keep the team together!! And Jane and Lisbon need to get together!! seriously ill die happy.I love this show thank you guys!

Comment by angel – November 24, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Van Pelt and Rigsby are both due to take their final bows this season, possibly before it has it’s full run. :( Such a bummer. I love them both. Who could possibly replace them?

Comment by Michelle – November 24, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aha, so I may be right. Redhead Van Pelt may be the daughter of Red John. She certainly would be a more interesting choice. Or could it be Rigsby, and Van Pelt has to kill another man she loves?

Comment by Anita – November 26, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Van Pelt was the daughter of a football coach, and if I’m not mistaken, quickly appeared on the screen one episode. Let it go…both will be gone shortly.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 27, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So many fine series I have watched, end up in the same way.
      A brilliant start, a clear goal and purpose, possibly a sensible quick conclusion.
      Then the show gets popular, so the ‘ money’ guys move in and demand it goes on and on, the plot gets thinner and invariably the finalise leaves the fans disapointed.
      Quite likely series three was ‘supposed’ to have been the last…but then…
      One of the first casualtys of this type of ‘stretching it out’ was. The British series ‘the prisoner’ with Patrick Magohan, who many years later admitted they had completely run out of ideas by the end…
      I suspect in years to come they will admit the same with this otherwise excellent series..
      The annoying thing is they ‘ could’ have finished red john in series three and still had people just enjoying individual shows, maybe introduced a CBI v FBI power leadership theme, whatever, and left us all looking forward to the next season…but now..?!
      Sigh…

Comment by Steve – December 21, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole episode was meh. It’s one of the rare times I’ve fast forwarded through some of it; nothing with dialogue though. The story of Red John was dragged out far too long and at this point, it’s almost like, who cares. What was Red John’s motive for killing Patrick’s wife and daughter, or any of the victims for that matter? How and why were they chosen? How did Red John rise to “fame?” What’s his backstory? He didn’t seem very scary at the end. I did like that Patrick dealt with Red John with own bare hands. There’s sort of a poetic justice in that. I guess time will tell how The New Mentalist fares in the future.

Comment by MP – November 24, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As already pointed out, motivation for killing Jane’s family was to teach him a lesson. Jane was was using the RJ case to up his “cred”, and RJ decided he didn’t like that, so killed his wife and daughter. This has been know from the very first episode.

Comment by SilkBC – November 24, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And Blinking Red Light was basically the sequel.

It would have been too much exposition if they went over it yet again.

Comment by Kendall – November 24, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • silkbc,..your reply to the question of “what was the motive for killing PJ’s wife and daughter,” was in reply to a RHETORICAL question. Motive encompasses much more than the simple reaction of a serial killer, let alone one who is a mastermind of manipulation. One could tell from the original comment that it was made by a person in the know. Just don’t take everything on surface values.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 25, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone see Patrick contemplating suicide in the few seconds after he killed Red John? Or was it just me?

Comment by Patrick Maloney – November 24, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seemed that way but of course would have been end of the show and dismissed it immediately.

Comment by GregK – November 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i saw it he pulled the gun up for a few seconds then changed his mind

Comment by barbara – November 25, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Long ago, Patrick said that after he killed Red John, he would end his own life because he felt he no longer had a reason to live. As you mentioned, he started to put the gun to his mouth, as if to kill himself, but you can clearly see the change of heart he has as he presumably begins to realize he has much to live for and that he has valuable relationships with his friends. This shows a growth in character for Patrick Jane.

Comment by Teresa – November 25, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon Baker did an amazing job.

Comment by enri – November 24, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. He was surprisingly restrained throughout most of the episode, but the expression on his face while he killed Red John made the episode for me.

Comment by shagamu – November 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. You could see all the emotions on his face.

Comment by enri – November 24, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they ever reveal what that coded message was that the team found in Red John’s storage locker last episode? I didn’t catch it if they did.

Comment by A So – November 24, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that all the acting was great. Kudos to Simon Baker. But I am also disappointed in the way the writers handled the ending of Red John. It showed their complete disregard for all of us fans who have been keeping up with all clues. I’m thinking of starting my own “association” to see to it that Bruno Heller is never allowed to work again!

Comment by timetogo – November 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please do this… end that guys career. I mean everything he’s done up to now is great. But this final episode completely eliminates all that and is the ultimate betrayal.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 25, 2013 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supported. Still, let’s just have that little faith that Mr. Abbot may bring up something about the RJ case resolution in “My Blue Heaven”. I feel (and hope) Heller still has some surprise(s) on his pockets.

Comment by AnnCst – November 25, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the wighting at the last was very poor. the whole thing about red john. dates back to a very old story . the one armed man . with a actor named david something. cant remember. the mentelist just borrowed from old tv land mistery show. it gets boreing . because as long as the show runs the bad guy will get away till next time. what can isay. you can only want to chase the same old bad guy so many times. you really need to get someone as good s the guy that wrote most of west wing. that made you think and was provoctive. the show scandel is a very little bit like it. but not even close wrighting. good mistery wrighting is hard to come by in tv land. here is one more wrighter thats really good is the one that wrights downton abby. just look at hot they keep every one comeing back . having to wait a long time and still they cant get enough. that might tell you.sorry i’m not good at spelling . sign gail riggins

Comment by GAIL RIGGINS – November 24, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cwazy rabbit spelling, but I’ll bet you can cook! What time is thanksgiving dinner?

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 27, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • May I be of service? “The writing at the last was very poor. The whole thing about Red John dates back to a very old story…”The Fugitive”…the one-armed man, with an actor named David Jansen. “The Mentalist” just borrowed from an old TV Land mystery show. It gets boring because as long as the show runs, the bad guy will get away ’til next time. What can I say…you can only want to chase the same old bad guy so many times. You really need to get someone as good as the guy who wrote most of “West Wing.” That made you think and was provocative. The show “Scandal” is like it, but not even close writing wise. Good mystery writing is hard to come by in TV Land. Here is one more writer who is really good…he writes “Downtown Abby.” Just look at how they keep everyone coming back. Having to wait a long time and still they can’t get enough. That might tell you. Sorry, I’m not good at spelling. Signed, Gail Riggins”

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 27, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so glad that Patrick got his man. I loved the choking bit and I truly could understand why he would do it that way. The gun would have been too simple and painless. Can’t wait to see what Patrick is up to next.

Comment by Norma – November 24, 2013 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would have preferred Patrick to have thrown Red John in a wood chipper. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 25, 2013 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it. I am satisfied and happy to finally have closure to the story. I had a feeling that it was him but so what if I saw it coming. Now lets get Jane and Lisbon Married, they have a daughter, name her Angela Charlotte Jane and there we go and proper ending.

Comment by shayhicks4515 – November 24, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Lisbon and Jane gets married and has a kid. Then another serial killer kills both of them and Heller will have to redeem himself with this next serial killer and the cycle begins all over again.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 25, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was pretty awful. After promising questions would be answered and making fun of the LOST finale, Heller gives us Red John with no answers. And then says no answers are forthcoming. What a jerk!! And a RJ who begs for mercy, calls 911 (?!), has a random backup backup lady armed only with a knife, says he’s psychic, and then gets bested BY A PIGEON! Come on… A pigeon who somehow survived a mile of running and a car chase and somehow remained undetected during a frisk patdown.

And great job by the CBS tech guys, leaving the episode out on their server apparently so anybody could just look at the source code and find it. And then putting out a promo picture with Jane on top of McAllister!! WTF man. I thought it was supposed to be a “reveal.”

Comment by ST – November 24, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • would it really be asking much for them to make something up. It’s not that hard. I mean there was a massive amount of theories on http://www.whoisredjohn.com and they were all valid?! It’s just laziness. What a bad job he made of it.

Comment by Maryberke – November 29, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Red John killed his wife and daughter–the ending where Red John knows–is consciously aware–he is to die at the hands of his victim is a fitting conclusion. Patrick Jane placing the gun in Red John’s hand betokens of a suicide–and in a sense Red John killed himself pyschologcally when he killed Patrick Jane’s wife and child, a trope as old as the Greek dramatists…

Lesser dramatists would have a bullet between his eyes in the church–a quick and ready and suitable execution. But without the perpetrator having the insight to make a relationship between his death and his evil deed, it is simple execution. That avenging relationship between Patrick Jane and Red John and Red John’s moment of insight elevates Red John’s death into a theologcal statement worthy of Dante.

Comment by StevenTorrey – November 24, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does nobody remember there was an article out in August that Heller stated we would be disappointed?? I kind of expected not such a big hype. It is kinda sad, but expected. Everything was fine but I do wish Lisbon witnessed Jane killing Red John so t hat she had that image and had to deal with that. That would make it more satisfying to me.

Comment by Sarah – November 24, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The reveal wasn’t all that disappointing. It was everything else. Instead of a Moriarty level evil mastermind, RJ came off as a very weak baddie of the week villain. I mean, he got beat by a pigeon and then begged for his life. Not the pure malevolent heartless sociopath we’ve been expecting. Plus all the questions that went unanswered – how did Stiles know where Kristina Frye was? What did RJ do to Kristina and Rosalind? Why did RJ kill Partridge? How did RJ create PJ’s list BEFORE PJ? What the heck was “He is MAR?” How did RJ get the bombs into PJ’s house? Under his hat?

Comment by tstephen51 – November 24, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you are right. Lots of questions to be answered. I hope the writers don’t fall flat and will answer those.

Comment by Sarah – November 25, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is exactly my point. Why don’t others get it. Its not the actual reveal that infuriates fans. Its the fact that everything else doesn’t get answered and the final showdown made absolutely no sense.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – November 25, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, and inquiring minds want to know what exactly was in LaRoche’s container! By the way, I thought the actor who played him was brilliant! And just where is Katrina Frye! Faked deaths, like McCallister’s, are writers’ cop outs. Heller completely insulted my disappearing intelligence. Maybe THAT’S what’s in LaRoche’s container. PS…Was LaRoche in with the Blake Association? I hope they bring him back to work with the remaining old CBI gang at their new investigative firm.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – November 25, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you saw the end of the episode with the tupperware box it shows lisbon going to question the man that was in prison. His mother tells lisbon how he got his tongue cut off. Earlier in the episode la roche says he kept the box to show how low a man can go

Comment by hdjdjd – December 4, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously cannot believe I waited SIX YEARS for this lame episode. This show had an amazing storyline with so much potential…and then they blew it. Excuse me, but Heller really thinks this episode was “closure” for fans? Because I’m sure as hell it doesn’t feel like that!

Comment by Bianca – November 24, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he really cared passing out an episode like that, how could he.

Comment by Maryberke – November 29, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It was good.” says the husband, so the episode passed muster. “Boy, he choked that guy right to death. Yah, he had to die, for all the things he did to people’s life. Did you hear him cry for his life? What a sissy he was. He choked him to death. After what he did to Jane’s wife and daugther, he had to. If he went to prison he would keep his secret police organization going, so he had to die. Now, he is actually free to do the things he wants to do. He doesn’t have to worry about that psychopathic murderer.”

My husband has good plotting instinct, so I’m passing on his thoughts.

Comment by prish – November 24, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bird under Jane’s jacket and the gun taped to the bench were kind of a stretch, the writers should have done a better job at a more credible ending to the Red John saga specially after making us wait for 6 seasons

Comment by Firedragon1964 – November 24, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The gun did surprise me, “Huh?” But I’m assuming that Jane was way ahead of everyone, just maneuvering Red John into the open. The lady with the knife was awkward, though. Maybe it was an editing dilemma.

Comment by prish – November 25, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Compare this ending to how Charles Widmore of Lost was dealt with, remember how weak his demise was?

Comment by Robb – November 25, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed with the lack of answers, well portrayed by both actors though. Think they’re going to lose more than a few viewers after this and it won’t get renewed. Well done Bruno Heller you’ve just killed your baby

Comment by jay Atkinson – November 25, 2013 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand when McAllister and Jane were in the chapel and he changed his voice to sound like Brett Partirdge for one line? Am I the only one who heard this??

Comment by Jamey Arnold – November 25, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you’re not the only one who heard it. RJ has always been reputed to have a soft, effeminate voice. It was one of the earliest things Jane dug up about him. Dates back to the episode in season 1 (maybe 2?) where he finds a blind woman who had a fling with RJ and could only describe what she knew of how he felt and spoke. And anytime Jane spoke with him after that, like on the phone or when RJ rescued him at the end of season 2, he used that voice. But the voice was just a cover. So McAllistar used it mockingly that one time then returned to his normal voice. Which disappointed me because that voice was marvelously creepy and the one I’ve been waiting for!

Comment by Michelle – November 25, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To me that voice seemed like it was that of Brett Partridge….I really thought it was the actor Jack Plotnick’s voice!

Comment by Jamey Arnold – November 26, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Everything was a let down

Comment by Maryberke – November 29, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? His voice was always like that!!

Comment by Stephen Wales – November 25, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this would have made a good stand alone episode, but as a conclusion to the entire Red John story, it felt short. Simon Baker was great when he finally got to take his revenge, but other than that, it was pretty mediocre. The fake Red John that Patrick killed in the mall was far more menacing and would have made for a far better conclusion. I did notice the woman from the church sauntered away there at the end. I imagine we will be seeing her at some point in the future.

Comment by msecaur – November 25, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post