Once Upon a Time Casting Mystery: Who Is Christopher Gorham to Emma...?

Once Upon a Time Christopher GorhamCovert Affairs may now be between seasons, but Christopher Gorham is still spying… a mysterious role on Once Upon a Time.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season — Scoop on a New Teen Heroine

In Season 3′s midseason premiere, Gorham will guest-star as an “important character in the life of Emma Swan,” EW.com reports.

And though Gorham’s gig on the ABC drama is described as brief, EW.com also says it could lead to additional future appearances.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Henry’s Expanded Family Tree Will Grow Even More

Once Upon a Time‘s spring premiere, which airs March 9 (following a 12-week winter hiatus), is titled “New York City Serenade” — name-checking a city only visited before in conjunction with Neal. But then again, series cocreator Adam Horowitz, when sharing the episode’s title, teased it’s “not what you think”:

Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis previously worked with Gorham on Popular, where they were writer-producers.

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time’s Regina Adopts Baby Henry — So Why Is He So Sad?

It’s late on a Friday, the end of the work week, and I’m feeling a bit punchy, so I’m going to go with my knee-jerk reaction and just lob out this theory: Gorham is playing a grown-up Henry. Maybe in a vision. Or a flash-forward. Or, amid unconfirmed rumblings that some nasty new curse is uncorked going into the show’s winter break, maybe Peter Pan unleashes some sort of utterly ironic rapid-aging spell.

What’s your theory?

1. Lynn says:

I think he’s one of Emma’s foster brothers, tbh.

2. He looks like he could be a grown up “Henry”

3. Lysh says:

I just hope he’s a normal human who isn’t from or related to someone from a fairy tale land.

4. David4 says:

He will play Santa Claus who will be the bad guy for the later half of the season.

5. the girl says:

He could totally be a grown up Henry! Now that I see it I can never not see it.

6. M.d says:

Grown up Henry. I just hope they don’t kill Neal

7. I dont really watch OUAT but Chris has played 2 other characters named Henry before. So it would be hilarious (from my standpoint) if he did an older Henry.

8. Amanda says:

I can’t trust him if he’s grown-up Henry! I’ve seen Harper’s Island.

• Lynn says:

God, I love Harper’s Island so much. I need to marathon it again.

• Britt says:

OMG I didn’t realize he was on that show. It was soooooo good. I remember Katie Cassidy on there as the fiancee and the black with the dreads, who is on Graceland now.

• Lynn says:

Whoa, how am I just now realizing that Jake from Graceland was on Harper’s Island? I’ve watched the show like three or four times already! You’d have thought I’d have realized this sooner.

• Michael Beechan says:

^^^^^^^^^ this may be my favorite comment EVER! I absolutely love Harper’s Island. Def can’t trust older Henry. Major twist.

• Olivia says:

Haha A+ comment! ^^ (and now #SaveHenry became ten times funnier… *IT’S A TRAP!*)

Harper’s Island was so good. I love Chris Gorham, I know that I will love to see him on OUAT regardless of the character he will play.

• H says:

Me either!!!

9. Devin says:

Whoa whoa whoa, we have to wait til March?! What the heck!

10. Eunice says:

I think he’s Emma’s foster brother, from the first family that adopted her, a.k.a. The Swans. It’d be kind of odd that big chunks of Emma’s past (first foster family, Neal/Bae) would be stuck in one state, but obviously they’ve had a huge impact on Emma’s life and she’s always carried them in her heart. They are responsible for a great deal of her identity, so it’d be great to see that part of Emma fleshed out on screen.

Also, I agree with one of the commenters who said that Adam’s “It’s not what you think,” refers to “New York City Serenade” not being a musical episode. Pretty sure that’s what everyone was thinking when the title was revealed.

• Shandelle says:

Absolutely agree with all you’ve said. That was my first thought, that he was probably going to be the biological son that her foster family ended up having, which caused them to send her back. I think it’s crazy that Emma is the main character on the show but they’ve never properly fleshed out her character or shown very much of her backstory prior to meeting Neal. Even her last name hasn’t technically been revealed on the show (only answered by JMo on twitter). So knowing all this, I think it’s very very likely to be someone she was close to from her childhood.

• Lauren says:

We desperately need to see more of Emma’s past, so I hope you’re right!

11. Liz says:

A flash forward and grown up Henry is an AWESOME idea!!!

12. kelly says:

I think Chris or Jason Dohring would make a great grown up Henry.
    I thought the next curse though sends everyone who was cursed the first time back to the enchanted forest leaving emma,neal,henry,hook,tink and august in storybrooke

13. Babybop says:

My first instinct was foster brother. I wouldn’t put it past the LOST-boys to do something time travelly though…

14. Et al says:

God, I miss Mary Cherry. Just had to say that. Carry on.

15. A.B. says:

Please NO musical episode! Don’t have this show fall to that gimmick. YEA, Auggie!

• Lysh says:

I don’t want a full-on “Once More With Feeling” type of thing, but if one of the guys wants to pull out their guitar at some point, I’d be all for that. I don’t know why but I really want to see Josh Dallas sing (besides that ten second clip on YouTube).

• Diandra says:

Considering OMWF was easily one of the best episodes of Buffy, I think if OUAT came even close to something similar, it would be awesome.

16. xx says:

I hope he’s not Henry because I hope they kill him off for real.

• shandelle says:

I feel bad hatin’ on Jared Gilmore cause he’s just a kid. I do hope they age Henry up, though, cause the kid is growing way too fast for the pace of Once’s timeline! Which is hilarious given the Neverland/no aging plot for the first half of this season. ;)

• Mary says:

I don’t want adult Henry. Age him up to Jared’s age would be fine, but not to adulthood.

• shandelle says:

Agreed. We already have enough to deal with in regards to Emma being the same age as her parents and many other weird age things with other characters (like Hook & Neal being hundreds of years old but physically in their 30s and the Pan/Rumple thing). We definitely don’t need weird things where Henry is now the same age as both his parents, grandparents and great grand parents. lol. But yes, they will need to address Henry’s age with regards to the child actor hitting puberty very soon.

• xx says:

It’s not so much the acting as the writing. Not Gilmore’s fault the writers think his character is so unbelievably stupid as to listen to Pan instead of his whole damn family.

• Shandelle says:

Agreed with bad writing when it came to Henry in Neverland and doing what Pan says. That was pretty stupid. But I think they’re trying to go for the kid having a hero complex since his mom is the Savior and he feels pressured to do something ‘heroic’ himself by ‘saving magic’ (which doesn’t really make a lot of sense, given his past issues with people using magic aka Regina). Regardless, it was hard to swallow and the writers could have done so much better.

17. Ashley says:

My theories
    1. He could he Derek like in the swan princess my guest for Emma’s last name.
    2. He is merlin.
    3. Emma normal foster brother

18. agnes says:

As long as he doesn’t get in between Emma&Hook, it’s all right.

19. Pat says:

I am not sure who he is going to be, but I really do like him on Covert Affairs. So I will keep watching in anticipation, to find out what character they will give him. Some of the commenters think he could be a foster brother of Emma’s and if that is true her life in foster care seemed to be a very sad one, which she seems to never want to talk about. So this might not be a good reunion for her.

20. Ash says:

I wish they would make a musical episode of once! That just screams fairly tale Disney what nots :) and I’m loving the adult Henry theory so I’m going with y’all on that one!

21. Emgee says:

I can see the “grown up Henry” resemblance.

22. Ian says:

I think the hints they give about the role make it more likely to be a grown up Henry than anything else. The fact that the role is brief but with a possibility of more appearances, why would Emma be seeing her foster brother that briefly and not again? It would make more sense if it’s just a quick magical reason she’d see a grown up Henry before he became a child again. And then he might be aged again for whatever reason down the road. And you really can see the resemblance.

It’s just a bummer though, because I like Covert Affairs and it’s not ending, so it’s not like Chris could really join the cast of Once.

23. Amanda says:

I totally think he’s Emma’s foster brother. Either through the Swan family, which Jen did confirm on Twitter was the name of the foster family that sent her back and Adam said we’ll get more info on Emma’s past, or he was another who grew up in the foster system with her after August left. Which also another connection to “Covert Affairs” as Eion Bailey and Gregory Itzin have been on both shows now too.

24. Sara Arnoldi says:

I hope he’s a fairytale character but if he’s related just to Emma he might be part of her past life in the Real World.

25. Nay says:

I’d love for him to be Emma’s foster brother, but he probably is grown up Henry. One thing I’ve noticed is when the writers go on a “#notwhatyouthink” twitter campaign…it’s what you think i.e. Neal/Baelfire last season and Peter Pan/Rumple’s Dad this season.

26. Anne says:

This is the one show were a musical makes sense. Screw all you hipster, this show needs a musical episode and to kill of Bae and Hook.

27. kate says:

Since it is only supposed to be brief…grown up Henry makes sense. Just open the episode like you did Season 2 when we saw Neal for the first time but have him living a totally normal non magic life. And either don’t provide us any info or its just We need to go back again. But probably not anything that requires future commitments since I actually think Cover Affairs begins filming soon. Humorously when onPopular…he didn’t quite look like he does now…

28. Ian says:

They must have specifically cast Gorham because of his resemblance to the child Henry actor. It can’t be coincidence. There’s no way he’s not playing grown up Henry.

29. Ian says:

It’s sad though really, because if Chris is indeed playing a grown Henry, no one’s going to want to go back to the child version even more than they want the kid gone now. I don’t mean to be too hard on Jared Gilmore, but they didn’t get the child casting right for Henry as well as they did for say, Robbie McKay as Peter Pan. Jared drags the show down for me.
    They might just be better off casting an older teenager version of Henry that could come in a take over the role full time, or an adult actor that resembles Jared like Chris does but isn’t committed to another show so he’d be able to be a regular.

30. Lauren says:

If this is Emma’s foster brother, maybe he is one of the spots on the family tree they were teasing?

31. JM says:

Hmm, the EPs did say that wanted to explore the Oz world. I think he would make a great ‘Wizard’ or ‘Scarecrow’. Maybe Emma travels to see the wizard to get him to save Henry?

32. Brandy says:

I don’t get all hate for Henry/Jared.Hes actually one of the only kid on tv shows I can stand.CG looks like he could be a adult Henry.Can’t wait to see where ths goes.

• Cory says:

I agree, I don’t understand the Henry Hate either. Henry is a wonderful character. I can understand people finding him annoying, but he is a kid… he’s supposed to be annoying and get into danger. I will say I would love to see him become a little more mischievous…besides, because of Henry we get some great Emma/Regina scenes!

33. Dave says:

That is one hell of a hiatus!

34. Amie says:

I’m hoping he’s not adult Henry, because that would put Henry, his bio mother, his bio father, grandparents, stepmother, possible step-grandmother (Belle) and possible mother’s boyfriend (Hook) all looking like they belong to the same age group, with his great-grandfather the youngest of the bunch. At least when Henry is physically little, we know where he belongs.

For me, “‘New York Serenade” doesn’t make it sound like it’s a musical episode, but a romantic episode for Emma and Neal. After all, all we’ve seen in NY is their story. So maybe the episode has nothing to do with the Emma/Neal romance.

I’m not coming up with anybody Chris Gorham could be, though. Foster brother sounds interesting. I would love it if Emma’s foster mother was the Old Woman Who Lives in a Shoe, although I suppose Mother Goose or the Swan princess would fit the Swann name better. Unfortunately, the Swan princess’s story is an awful lot like the Little Mermaid, plus the animated movie wasn’t a Disney product, so… Thinking Derek and Odette will not be making an appearance. And the OUAT spinoff kind of kills the Caterpillar or the White Rabbit or the Cheshire Cat. I’ll say Scarecrow. Dorothy did miss him most of all.

My other thought is that Gorham will play an escaped Lost Boy who knows how to take down Pan once and for all. Or maybe he’s Pan after whatever cataclysmic event happens at the end of the season. Amnesiac Pan, aged a few years, shows up in NYC…

35. Christine says:

Older Henry.

36. Ellyn West says:

It’s a Jake 2.0 reunion with the Blue Fairy!

37. Maggie says:

Theory Time:

Pilot episode:

Emma: Oh, you wanna know what sucking is? Being left abandoned on the side of a freeway; my parents didn’t even bother to drop me off at a hospital! (Begins to break down) I ended up in a foster system and I had a family until I was three but then they had their own kid so they sent me back.

In the lightning round Nov. 21st, 2013:

Are we ever going to find out why Emma goes by the last name Swan?
    Horowitz: Yes.

Information on Chris’ character:

As usual, producers are keeping quiet about the details of the role. All we’re told is Gorham plays an “important character in the life of Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison).”

Is it possible that Chris is _____Swan? The child that they gave her back for? Could he be working for the Home Office?

38. Stormy says:

Am I the only one who thinks Rumpel is in the box instead of Henry? Rumpel entered the cave before Pan talked to Henry. Where? Pan talked to Rumpel and put him in the box. Where was Henry? Could Rumpel have switched bodies with Henry so the heart would be useless to Pan and Henry is safe in the box?

39. amintt says:

All I want is Emma/Hook to actually happen.

40. Wow! Thank you! I continually needed to write on my website something like that.
    Can I implement a part of your post to my site?

41. Gracie says:

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post iis written by him as no one
    else know sujch detailed about my problem. You’re amazing!

Thanks!

42. fantastic points altogether, you just won a logo new reader.

What would you recommend about your put up that you simply made a few
    days in tthe past? Any sure?

43. actually I have another idea as to who this guy could be….well we know Snow and Charming will be having another baby…what if this child is a boy and can time travel? What if this guy is him? Convincing Emma to go back to Storybrooke to save their parents?

• KerriCatt says:

OMG Alexandria, thats brilliant. Snow is definitely already pregant, I mean she is in real life and its tough to hide it, maybe they’ll write that in and Gorham will be Emma’s real brother?? I love it! Love Christopher Gorham!!
      I also like another person’s comment on another site thinking that maybe Gorham is the Wizard of Oz and he’ll help Emma and Henry to get their memories back and/or get them back to the Enchanted Forest. Can’t wait for March to roll around!!!

44. Tris says:

Maybe this guy comes from the EF… Eddy and Adam said that this guy has a connection with both Emma and the upcoming Rapunzel. He’s from Emma’s past. What did Emma do in her past? Steal. Maybe this guy helped her steal to survive for a while. What person that has a connection to Rapunzel AND steals? Flynn Rider! Maybe this guy is Flynn Rider, and he was a brother figure to Emma.

45. Leny1 says:

I like Chris Gorham, esp In Covert Affairs (cant wait to see that back)
    I think he is could be her… foster brother or some brother from where she was as a child, i kinda hope he will be what August failed to do and be,,,, that brother to always look out for her i guess. Maybe a bailsbond person also? I kinda do think he could be a FTL character as well
    I certainly do not think he is a love interest as per say! For me the story for Emma, is obviously her own jounrey to her family/home… but also Emma/Hook! I mean the fact he has fallen in love with her and came to FIND her in the finale amongst all the other things as well.

46. Gil says:

Thx Matt!
    Firstly can i say i love Chris Gorham (he is great, as i watch Covert Affairs) When is it back that show back ;)

Who could he be…. boyfriend, foster brother, bailsbond person, married lover lol – personally think its a Foster brother, i hope he is a good guy really! I do not want to see older Henry, abit too much lol. Anyhow look forward to the episode
    Also i think this episode word serenade and the meaning of Serenade is – a piece of music sung or played in the open air, typically by a man at night under the window of his beloved… (Only thing i can think of is Hook following Emma around (as we see her daily life is with her/Henry, get a feel of that)… and trying to get her to atleast give him some time, to listen to him and what he has to say etc) Well Hook did find her and tried a true love kiss which we know doesnt work on memory loss that was big thing to put it (having that fail which we know it would… i can only assume next one will succeed, because there is no way you put in a TLK to fail and then not follow it with the big one, successful one)
    Anyhow rooting for Hook to bring her back to her family and home, like Henry did when he turned up at her door in season 1. Rooting for Emma/Hook!