Scoop: Five-0 Ups Chi McBride to Series Regular

Hawaii Five-0 Chi McBride Series RegularChi McBride‘s visit to Hawaii just got extended.

CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 has promoted the beloved TV vet to series regular status, after his appearance thus far in three Season 4 episodes as SWAT Captain Lou Grover.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

“I know this sounds corny but the only thing I ever wanted in my career was to be on CBS, the home of my idol Jackie Gleason,” the Pushing Daisies/Boston Public/Human Target alum said in a statement. After a run on the network’s short-lived Golden Boy, which shot on the same stage as The Honeymooners, “CBS graciously invited me to be a member of the cast of Hawaii Five-0, and it’s been wonderful. The cast, crew and production have been so welcoming to me, and so my love affair with CBS continues.”

RELATED | Hawaii Five-0 — The Latest Word on Kono’s Return to the Team

“After his first guest spot, we knew we had something special here,” says executive producer Peter M. Lenkov. “He just fit seamlessly into the fabric of Hawaii Five-0 and viewers are enjoying the spirited, if sometimes antagonistic, interaction between him and McGarrett. We are so thrilled to welcome Chi into our Ohana.”

RELATED | Hawaii Five-0 Spoilers — Danny’s Mother Comes to Town, With a Surprise

Hawaii Five-0‘s season continues this Friday at 9/8c.

1. Tiffany says:

What about Kono

2. JeffDJ says:

I think it goes without saying that any TV character with the name “Grover” is a keeper.

3. Pam says:

Love him and was wondering where he would go after Golden Boy. The interaction with him and McGarrett is awesome.

• Lee says:

Agree. He fits in the show perfectly. I’m glad he’s a regular. The Steve/Danny bickering is getting tiresome. The McGarrett/Grover bickering is like a breath of fresh air. Good move on H50’s part.

4. Bella says:

Great news! I loved him in Human Target, and anything else I saw him in. He will be a great addition to this cast.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Love him and his interaction with McGarrett. Question…..where is Dano? I must have missed something somewhere :-)

6. Jane says:

This just adds to my suspicions that Scott Caan is the subject of the character death Blind Item.

7. junebug says:

So this is how they get rid of Scott? Don’t get me wrong, I love Chi. But really, how many people does he need to have a spirited, somewhat antagonistic relationship with?

8. tp says:

I really used to like this show but lately I;m like…ehh. I like Catherine but in small doses. I don’t think she should have been made part of the team. I LOVE Chi McBride. I have since Gone in 60 Seconds. I don’t like his character this time. I’m really on the fence about continuing to watch. One reason to keep watching is because Friday nights are dead for me. I work early Saturday mornings so Friday night is a school night for me. I guess time will tell. Happy he’s working though, he’s an awesome actor.

• Maya says:

Catherine becoming a series regular is the reason why I stopped watching honestly. She was fine in a few episodes but overall, she doesn’t work for me at all, and I find her so boring. I wish they focused more on Kono then bringing in Catherine, whose purpose only seemed to be McGarrett’s love interest (while she is bad ass, I love Kono a lot more).

• KiP says:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the show and Kono? First they brought in that Lori Weston woman and now they’ve made Catherine part of the team. Why? Kono is so much more interesting than either of them. Catherine is at least a bit more natural of a fit because she already was established as having a relationship with Steve, but I just find her a bit bland. I was beginning to wonder if Grace Park didn’t want to have to wear bikinis and short shorts any more and Michelle Borth was maybe more willing? But Lauren German didn’t dress all that sexy… The biggest mystery on this show is why Kono has become such a small part.

• JC says:

Kono will be back in episode 12 of this season. As for why Grace Park has been out, the common belief is that she was pregnant, and that this storyline with Adam was written to accommodate her maternity leave (I’ve never seen reliable confirmation of that though, so it may just be rumor). Whatever the case for her needing leave, she will be back this season. As far as the rest, I think they’ve been determined to add a second regular female cast member since sometime in S1 (in addition to Kono, not replacing her). I think Jenna was their first try, Lori was the second, and Catherine has been the third (and in my personal opinion the most successful of the three, though Jenna grew on me before they killed her off).

• junebug says:

Yeah. After they made her part of 5-0, I quit watching. It used to be can’t miss TV, but without the Steve/Danno dynamic and the Ohana as a whole, I just lost interest. Don’t get me started on how they changed Steve’s personality either.

• tp says:

Changed his personality how? I’m very curious. I’ve been trying to figure out why I don’t seem to like the show as much. Somethings just not the same, maybe it’s Steve.

• Magreeda says:

Yeah, I gave up when they promoted Catherine to a regular. She’s much better recurring / off my screen.

9. JC says:

It does kind of make me wonder whether they’re working toward a Scott Caan exit. Not enough for me to get very worked up about it at this point, but it crossed my mind. There have been two episodes so far this season where it looked like they were writing around his absence. I don’t know – maybe it’s nothing, and Grover will end up being like Max.

10. CBWBDK1 says:

Chi McBride is great. I liked him in Human target and he was great in Golden boy. I still don’t understand why they cancelled that show, maybe the ratings weren’t great, but the show was fantastic!!!

11. sarah says:

cool keep mcbride he’s awesome but pretty please kill of catherine she is killing this show and making not want to watch

12. TW says:

Have there been rumors/discussion about a Scott Caan exit? H5O wouldn’t be the same without Dano.

13. sarah says:

I was never worried about Grace Park as she was pregnant and the physical demands of the show she can not be on for more than a few minutes and that is why they have the Kono and Adam on the run and her finding him now, storyline.
    I am worried about Scott Caan, I have heard that he is doing a play in LA that is taking up more time than he expected. He also took over a theater that his mom was part of before she died and he is carrying on her legacy.
    I hope that is true as the show would not be the same without him!

• wrstlgirl says:

So can you tell me have they written out Dano or is he just off somewhere with his daughter or something storywise?

• I am not sure myself, and I watch this show regularly. But I mean, you can’t leave out the “Danno” character, as that character was always a big part of Hawaii Five-O, including the original. If Scott Caan leaves, could they possibly have another actor play Danny?
        It would be foolish for CBS to kill off Danny altogether. Danno and McGarrett, with Kono, and Chin Ho, ARE Hawaii Five-O.

14. Lori F. says:

YAY!!!! Chi McBride…love him!

15. Doug H says:

I didn’t know for sure about Grace Park but I suspected as much.. Claire Danes can do her show since she didn’t have to move too much but H5-0 is too much high action… I don’t think Danno is going anywhere… they just want to mix it up and Chi is great in whatever he’s in… Great character actors in this show in recurring roles like Richard Jones as the Gov Denning ( the gov’s name on the old show).. It looks to me like they are rotating everybody….

16. meatwad says:

well guess i’ll start watching again

17. Kathy says:

I want Chi’s character to be around the next time Five-0 goes after Nick Jonas’ character, and now he gets to. Yes.

18. Joey says:

Great news. He’s been good on the show this season.

19. Lynn says:

Great news about Chi/Grover. Now if they only would get rid of Catherine or put her back as recurring that would be great. Michelle is a good actress but her character just doesn’t cut it. With McBride now a regular there will be 7 regulars. So maybe she will be shipped out somewhere. Show would be better without her. Just an opinion.

• JC says:

I disagree. Without her there would be only one female regular cast member to (now) five male regulars, and none at all until Grace Park returns. I for one am not interested in the all-boys show. I love the guys, don’t get me wrong, and Steve is my favorite character, but the show is already unbalanced enough. There’s nothing wrong with having another woman on board.

• wednesday says:

I love Catherine & think she fits in fine with the show. I miss Kono as much as the next person, but think the show is well balanced with 2 ladies, plus I like that Catherine does keep Steve in line. I love Catherine’s fight scenes. I like her way more than I ever did Laurie!

• JC says:

Until Kono comes back, it’s only one woman on the cast – Catherine. That’s what I meant. But yes, I like Catherine too, and yes, I think she’s much better than Lori. And her fight scenes are far more convincing. ;) Lori was one of those characters where they kept trying to tell us what a badass she was, but it just wasn’t ever really believable.

20. arial2 says:

Great! I like his character; Steve sometimes needs a reality check.

21. adam says:

i like Catherine, i wouldn’t want her to leave, their wouldn’t be enough female characters on the show without her. Plus did you see that bathroom fight.

22. Wow…really? Catherine’s character made you quit the show? LOL and SMH I don’t even like Scott Caan playing Danno, but I still watch because of Steve, Kono & Chin. By the way, I agree with arial2 – Steve needs a reality check from time to time.

23. E. Williams says:

I am so glad that I read this post. Here I thought I was the only one who did not like Catharine or her joining Five 0. I was hoping she would get killed instead of her partner/boss. She brings nothing to the show but I am so happy that Chi is now a regular but I still want Scott Caan. He is a hoot.

24. barbara says:

chi and steve have great chemistry hope they keep him. i also like catherine she fits also. i hope danny doesn’t leave we need our danno but I’ve read befor in tv guide he doesn’t like living in hawaii when filming i sure wouldn’t mind

25. Sara says:

Grover used to be kickass vs Steve… But was anyone happy that he was the central character of the season finale? And Steve will now be his boss. TERRIBLE DECISION. Chi could have been kept on but not as Steve’s underling. Are they trying to recreate the rapport Chi had with Mark Valley on Human Target? I agree with all those who say Chi should be used IN MODERATION because the show doesn’t need another Dano. Are they really adding Jorge Garcia too? Too many clown characters on this show: Max, the shrimp guy, even Chi sometimes, now Jorge Garcia too? Colorful, even idiosyncratic characters should not mean Clowns.