Scoop: Five-0 Ups Chi McBride to Series Regular

Get More: Casting News

Hawaii Five-0 Chi McBride Series RegularChi McBride‘s visit to Hawaii just got extended.

CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 has promoted the beloved TV vet to series regular status, after his appearance thus far in three Season 4 episodes as SWAT Captain Lou Grover.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

“I know this sounds corny but the only thing I ever wanted in my career was to be on CBS, the home of my idol Jackie Gleason,” the Pushing Daisies/Boston Public/Human Target alum said in a statement. After a run on the network’s short-lived Golden Boy, which shot on the same stage as The Honeymooners, “CBS graciously invited me to be a member of the cast of Hawaii Five-0, and it’s been wonderful. The cast, crew and production have been so welcoming to me, and so my love affair with CBS continues.”

RELATED | Hawaii Five-0 — The Latest Word on Kono’s Return to the Team

“After his first guest spot, we knew we had something special here,” says executive producer Peter M. Lenkov. “He just fit seamlessly into the fabric of Hawaii Five-0 and viewers are enjoying the spirited, if sometimes antagonistic, interaction between him and McGarrett. We are so thrilled to welcome Chi into our Ohana.”

RELATED | Hawaii Five-0 Spoilers — Danny’s Mother Comes to Town, With a Surprise

Hawaii Five-0‘s season continues this Friday at 9/8c.

Comments (43)

• What about Kono

Comment by Tiffany – November 21, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s coming back in episode 12.

Comment by Shirley – November 21, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it goes without saying that any TV character with the name “Grover” is a keeper.

Comment by JeffDJ – November 21, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him and was wondering where he would go after Golden Boy. The interaction with him and McGarrett is awesome.

Comment by Pam – November 21, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. He fits in the show perfectly. I’m glad he’s a regular. The Steve/Danny bickering is getting tiresome. The McGarrett/Grover bickering is like a breath of fresh air. Good move on H50′s part.

Comment by Lee – November 21, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I loved him in Human Target, and anything else I saw him in. He will be a great addition to this cast.

Comment by Bella – November 21, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him and his interaction with McGarrett. Question…..where is Dano? I must have missed something somewhere :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 21, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just adds to my suspicions that Scott Caan is the subject of the character death Blind Item.

Comment by Jane – November 21, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ausiello said it wasn’t any of the major networks. CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX.

Comment by tp – November 21, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the death was on CBS and it happened last night..will say no more.

Comment by Anne – November 21, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oops not last night Tuesday, sorry got my days mixed up.

Comment by Anne – November 21, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They said that wasn’t it.

Comment by tp – November 22, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
    • I think the death featured in the blind item was on FX earlier this week, not CBS.

Comment by GoodieGoddess – November 21, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this is how they get rid of Scott? Don’t get me wrong, I love Chi. But really, how many people does he need to have a spirited, somewhat antagonistic relationship with?

Comment by junebug – November 21, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point, couldn’t agree more.

Comment by Danna – November 22, 2013 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really used to like this show but lately I;m like…ehh. I like Catherine but in small doses. I don’t think she should have been made part of the team. I LOVE Chi McBride. I have since Gone in 60 Seconds. I don’t like his character this time. I’m really on the fence about continuing to watch. One reason to keep watching is because Friday nights are dead for me. I work early Saturday mornings so Friday night is a school night for me. I guess time will tell. Happy he’s working though, he’s an awesome actor.

Comment by tp – November 21, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Catherine becoming a series regular is the reason why I stopped watching honestly. She was fine in a few episodes but overall, she doesn’t work for me at all, and I find her so boring. I wish they focused more on Kono then bringing in Catherine, whose purpose only seemed to be McGarrett’s love interest (while she is bad ass, I love Kono a lot more).

Comment by Maya – November 21, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does anyone know what the deal is with the show and Kono? First they brought in that Lori Weston woman and now they’ve made Catherine part of the team. Why? Kono is so much more interesting than either of them. Catherine is at least a bit more natural of a fit because she already was established as having a relationship with Steve, but I just find her a bit bland. I was beginning to wonder if Grace Park didn’t want to have to wear bikinis and short shorts any more and Michelle Borth was maybe more willing? But Lauren German didn’t dress all that sexy… The biggest mystery on this show is why Kono has become such a small part.

Comment by KiP – November 23, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kono will be back in episode 12 of this season. As for why Grace Park has been out, the common belief is that she was pregnant, and that this storyline with Adam was written to accommodate her maternity leave (I’ve never seen reliable confirmation of that though, so it may just be rumor). Whatever the case for her needing leave, she will be back this season. As far as the rest, I think they’ve been determined to add a second regular female cast member since sometime in S1 (in addition to Kono, not replacing her). I think Jenna was their first try, Lori was the second, and Catherine has been the third (and in my personal opinion the most successful of the three, though Jenna grew on me before they killed her off).

Comment by JC – November 23, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. After they made her part of 5-0, I quit watching. It used to be can’t miss TV, but without the Steve/Danno dynamic and the Ohana as a whole, I just lost interest. Don’t get me started on how they changed Steve’s personality either.

Comment by junebug – November 21, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Changed his personality how? I’m very curious. I’ve been trying to figure out why I don’t seem to like the show as much. Somethings just not the same, maybe it’s Steve.

Comment by tp – November 21, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I gave up when they promoted Catherine to a regular. She’s much better recurring / off my screen.

Comment by Magreeda – November 21, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It does kind of make me wonder whether they’re working toward a Scott Caan exit. Not enough for me to get very worked up about it at this point, but it crossed my mind. There have been two episodes so far this season where it looked like they were writing around his absence. I don’t know – maybe it’s nothing, and Grover will end up being like Max.

Comment by JC – November 21, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chi McBride is great. I liked him in Human target and he was great in Golden boy. I still don’t understand why they cancelled that show, maybe the ratings weren’t great, but the show was fantastic!!!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – November 21, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool keep mcbride he’s awesome but pretty please kill of catherine she is killing this show and making not want to watch

Comment by sarah – November 21, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have there been rumors/discussion about a Scott Caan exit? H5O wouldn’t be the same without Dano.

Comment by TW – November 21, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never worried about Grace Park as she was pregnant and the physical demands of the show she can not be on for more than a few minutes and that is why they have the Kono and Adam on the run and her finding him now, storyline.
    I am worried about Scott Caan, I have heard that he is doing a play in LA that is taking up more time than he expected. He also took over a theater that his mom was part of before she died and he is carrying on her legacy.
    I hope that is true as the show would not be the same without him!

Comment by sarah – November 21, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So can you tell me have they written out Dano or is he just off somewhere with his daughter or something storywise?

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 21, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am not sure myself, and I watch this show regularly. But I mean, you can’t leave out the “Danno” character, as that character was always a big part of Hawaii Five-O, including the original. If Scott Caan leaves, could they possibly have another actor play Danny?
        It would be foolish for CBS to kill off Danny altogether. Danno and McGarrett, with Kono, and Chin Ho, ARE Hawaii Five-O.

Comment by Keith A. Long – December 31, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!! Chi McBride…love him!

Comment by Lori F. – November 21, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know for sure about Grace Park but I suspected as much.. Claire Danes can do her show since she didn’t have to move too much but H5-0 is too much high action… I don’t think Danno is going anywhere… they just want to mix it up and Chi is great in whatever he’s in… Great character actors in this show in recurring roles like Richard Jones as the Gov Denning ( the gov’s name on the old show).. It looks to me like they are rotating everybody….

Comment by Doug H – November 21, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well guess i’ll start watching again

Comment by meatwad – November 21, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Chi’s character to be around the next time Five-0 goes after Nick Jonas’ character, and now he gets to. Yes.

Comment by Kathy – November 21, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. He’s been good on the show this season.

Comment by Joey – November 21, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news about Chi/Grover. Now if they only would get rid of Catherine or put her back as recurring that would be great. Michelle is a good actress but her character just doesn’t cut it. With McBride now a regular there will be 7 regulars. So maybe she will be shipped out somewhere. Show would be better without her. Just an opinion.

Comment by Lynn – November 21, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. Without her there would be only one female regular cast member to (now) five male regulars, and none at all until Grace Park returns. I for one am not interested in the all-boys show. I love the guys, don’t get me wrong, and Steve is my favorite character, but the show is already unbalanced enough. There’s nothing wrong with having another woman on board.

Comment by JC – November 21, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Catherine & think she fits in fine with the show. I miss Kono as much as the next person, but think the show is well balanced with 2 ladies, plus I like that Catherine does keep Steve in line. I love Catherine’s fight scenes. I like her way more than I ever did Laurie!

Comment by wednesday – November 22, 2013 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Until Kono comes back, it’s only one woman on the cast – Catherine. That’s what I meant. But yes, I like Catherine too, and yes, I think she’s much better than Lori. And her fight scenes are far more convincing. ;) Lori was one of those characters where they kept trying to tell us what a badass she was, but it just wasn’t ever really believable.

Comment by JC – November 22, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I like his character; Steve sometimes needs a reality check.

Comment by arial2 – November 21, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like Catherine, i wouldn’t want her to leave, their wouldn’t be enough female characters on the show without her. Plus did you see that bathroom fight.

Comment by adam – November 21, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow…really? Catherine’s character made you quit the show? LOL and SMH I don’t even like Scott Caan playing Danno, but I still watch because of Steve, Kono & Chin. By the way, I agree with arial2 – Steve needs a reality check from time to time.

Comment by Will Cariño (@cold_brewer) – November 21, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad that I read this post. Here I thought I was the only one who did not like Catharine or her joining Five 0. I was hoping she would get killed instead of her partner/boss. She brings nothing to the show but I am so happy that Chi is now a regular but I still want Scott Caan. He is a hoot.

Comment by E. Williams – November 22, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chi and steve have great chemistry hope they keep him. i also like catherine she fits also. i hope danny doesn’t leave we need our danno but I’ve read befor in tv guide he doesn’t like living in hawaii when filming i sure wouldn’t mind

Comment by barbara – November 23, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post