Glee Recap: Shake, Rattle and…Joel! [Updated]

Chord Overstreet Shirtless Naked“Oh no, no, no — don’t you dare. Over my dead body will you inexplicably shoehorn in another Billy Joel song just to punctuate one of your weekly lessons that inevitably veers off into an acrid barrage of angst and affirmation.”

Thus spoke Glee‘s Sue Sylvester, attempting to put a halt to the lively musical vibe that percolated throughout “Movin’ Out,” a tribute to pop music’s Piano Man that brought with it the return of the Jake-Marley-Ryder triangle, a possible series endgame for Becky and the introduction of unexpected, possibly unwelcome sexual chemistry between Rachel and Sam. (I know, I know…too soon. But my guess is the attraction is more one-sided, Sam-to-Rachel, than the other way around. Time, of course, will tell.)

RELATED | Glee Sneak Peek: More Puppet Pics!

While you ponder the possibilities of Samchel — ¡¡¡OR NOT!!! — let’s quickly recap this week’s key plot points:

* A McKinley career fair allowed Sue to mock the idea of a career in the arts, but it didn’t stop Blaine and Sam from visiting NYC to pursue what even Mr. Schue admitted was a dream with “zero job security and impossible odds.” Blaine nearly backed out of his NYADA audition, but Kurt sweetly identified his boyfriend’s reluctance (and sudden discussion of a pre-med track) as simple fear. Off screen, Blaine apparently nailed the audition, but I say if there’s something within the kid that craves a broader liberal arts-based future, maybe his fiancé should roll with it. (One of ‘em could probably use a steady income in the future, no?)

RELATED | Person of Interest EPs Defend Shocking Twist, Talk Unscripted Kiss, Tease ‘Messy’ Aftermath

* Sam did not fare as well in his interview with a Hunter College admissions dean, to put it politely, and later admitted to Rachel he really wanted to be a male model. Rachel arranged for Funny Girl’s staff photographer to take some sample (shirtless) shots, which was enough to get him on the radar of a hilarious Tyra Banks as the head of the Bichette (bee-shay?) Agency. In the end, though, the toned himbo (with some help from Blaine, Kurt, Santana and Rachel) decided the aforementioned she-devil’s edict to lose 10 lbs wasn’t worth it. But an end-of-episode dance with Rachel during “Just the Way You Are” raised Santana’s psychic Mexican third eye(brow). Mine too, for that matter.

* Artie, much to Sue’s chagrin, stoked Becky’s dreams of college, eventually taking her to the University of Cincinnati to check out their programs for handicapable students. Sue’s “Beckretary,” despite her insecurities, loved the place, and decided she’d outgrown the “high school bitches” of McKinley.

* Marley rejected Jake’s peace offerings, which made the cheating Puckerman get all huffy and self-righteous. Ryder, meanwhile, siezed the opportunity to take Marley out on a date — but she cut him short when he misinterpreted their good time as a signal that she was ready to go steady. (I know, the kids probably don’t call it “going steady” anymore, but deal with it anyway!)

GRADES FOR THE WEEK’S MUSICAL NUMBERS
Sam & Blaine, “Movin’ Out” — Grade: B (their emergence from that Subway station was no match for Santana’s “Girl on Fire,” alas)

Blaine, “Piano Man” — Grade: B+

Jake, “My Life” — Grade: C+ (not sure why dude thinks he gets to be indignant!)

Artie, “Honesty” — Grade: A- (one of Artie’s best vocals in recent memory, yes?)

Ryder, “An Innocent Man” — Grade: A- (wow, that kid has nice teeth — and a nice voice!)

Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Rachel and Sam, “Just the Way You Are” — Grade: B (I love the NYC characters’ dynamic and voices, but I just can’t get with Samchel)

EPISODE’S BEST QUOTES
“So, you’re black. That must be interesting.” –Sam, whiffing his Hunter College admission interview

“Carmen Tibideaux is a classicist, so for your audition let’s try to avoid shocking patterns and anything that says ‘Look at me, I’m the center of attention — and this primary color proves it!'” –Kurt, advising Blaine on his NYADA audition

“If you cheated on me again, I will not accept sex addiction as an excuse.” –Kurt, pondering worse case scenarios as Blaine prepares to confess something

“Your midwestern eyes have the vacant stare of a cow’s. I don’t have any of those on my roster.” –Modeling agency head Bichette (Tyra Banks), sizing up Sam

“I’m not gonna be able to survive if you and your Hagberry are gonna be tickling those ivories, belting out gay hits from Rent and Showboat all day.” –Santana, reacting to Blaine’s purchase of a piano for Santana, Kurt and Rachel’s apartment

“I don’t have any feelings, Becky.” –Sue, reacting to Becky’s concern about hurting her coach’s feelings

“Well, that is just the ‘Screw you!’ spirit employers love.” –Sue, responding to Sam’s announcement that he refuses to lose 10 pounds to please the head of a modeling agency

And with that, I turn things over to you…

What did you think of “Movin’ Out”? What was your fave musical number? Were you intrigued or alarmed by the Rachel-Sam chemistry? Sound off in the comments!

1. Brian says:

Just the Way You Are- Love it!

• I loved it too. Lea would not agreed with it if she did not feel ok about it. It was just a look nothing more. Maybe it is ok for her to feel special again. Finchel was my favorite and they were endgame but i dont want Rachel to be sad all the time so if Sam could make here feel good thats nice.

• mina says:

lol slezak doesn’t even bother to grade new direction’s performance of ‘You May Be Right’ at the end anymore xD

2. Dave says:

First off,

INB4 the following…

*Chord Overstreet sucks and brings down the show.
    *A Sam in NYC is horrible.
    *BLAM sucks.
    *Chord is a bad actor, singer, and had no charisma.

And now to the big INB4…

RACHEL AND SAM? How dare the writers? Are they on crack? WTF? I am no longer watching this show (as they proceed to set DVR’s for next Thursday). How could Lea and Chord agree to a story like that (because you know they have so much creative say)?

Okay, now that I said what will be the majority of comments in this thread, allow an UNPOPULAR opinions…

If Rachel (whom I don’t want to be a nun forever) has to be in a relationship or have a connection to someone, I would much rather it be Sam than Brody or some cliche affair with her director or a new NYADA student we have no investment in. Sam has been around since season two, they have a minor past together, and from what I saw tonight (which was very little and just the show touching on it), a cute little chemistry developing.

I actually believe at the end of the day, it will be one or both who end up saying to the other that they should just remain solid friends and nothing more but I hope the show does indeed go there for storyline potential. The incredible hate Chord/Sam gets on GLEE message boards is insane. I know the old saying that the haters always speak louder than the fans but for once, I would just like to put my Chord/Sam appreciation out there before all the vitriol stars.

Anyways, very cool episode. Adore Billy Joel tunes, so loved the music. A bit PSA with Becky and the whole models shouldn’t be paper thin but GLEE does PSA a whole lot, so whatevs.

• No says:

Did you seriously have this reply prepared? LMAO

• Dave says:

Yep, as pathetic at it may seem, I wanted to get it in so that the hate comments that follow (as evidenced below already) look painfully obvious. :)

• may says:

Nah!! It´s just that you know Sam/Chord very well LOL

• Dave says:

Untrue. The fact remains, the haters will always speak louder and be more venomous than those who enjoy someone or something. This thread will have over 100 replies (hopefully more, you go TVLINE) and 80 percent of them will be obvious Chord/Sam-hate threads. I’m just glad to put one out there on the positive side.

I wish the people who hate the actor and character would quit watching though if his presence annoys them so much because Chord and Darren are both going to end up graduating and being in NYC, so he ain’t going anywhere.

• Martina says:

Just a thought: if all criticism is “hatred” maybe you shouldn’t read anything and just got to some Chord fan Appreciation board like the Glee Forum. Just saying. I suppose the ratings explosion for the episode will verify that negative comments have no validity. So how high is the Demo rising for you?

• Dave says:

Umm, if you go by demo/ratings for Glee to determine whether or not fans are happy with the plot, you are making a big mistake. The show could do an entire episode in NYC without a single Lima character and still attract a low demo. That’s just where the show is at right now when it comes to ratings. It isn’t what it once was. It will be lower in the spring and will return even lower next Fall (for the final season). The only episode this season that was marginally impressive ratings-wise was The Quaterback and the reason for that is obvious and understandable.

Also, I never said all criticism is hatred. I said that I knew the obvious things the majority would say before they even did. Same thing occurred in the past when the “in” thing was to hate Blaine because RM gave him so much screen time and when the “in” thing was to hate “Sue Vs. Shue.” It just the same wash, repeat, rinse formula. Something new will eventually come along that everyone jumps on the bandwagon to hate. This is why writers/show-runners need to stay away from message boards, twitter, tumblr, blogs, etc… Never write for the approval of the audience and never write to spite them. Just do your thing because you can’t please everyone.

• karenb says:

+1 Dave

• lol irl says:

go back to gleeforum

• dosqueen says:

Go back to ONTD_Glee or TWOP :)

• Dave says:

Sorry, don’t know what ONTD or TWOP is. And for all those suggesting I go here/there…chill. I am a regular at TVLINE and enjoy it here just fine. It was just my moment to get the positive feelings out before the bashing began.

• Trevor says:

This was so pathetic I actually laughed out loud so thanks for that. I love how Glee fans always play the victim when if you go into any other article on this site there are the same kind of comments and bickering between fans. If you can’t handle reading something critical maybe internet message boards just aren’t for you!

• Rook says:

I think the Rachel/Sam has huge potential. As a couple? Oh god no, they are so wrong for each other. More as a hook up one time thingy, I think it would be reasonable for Rachel to be with someone she is more comfortable with and then realize she might need a little more time or be one step closer to moving on after Finn.
      Loved Santana’s face after the group song.

• dosqueen says:

I think I love you Dave. God, I’ve been wanting to post a reply here to one of the regular HATERS for a long, long, looooooong time. Sam/Chord (and Darren/Blaine) are my favorites and I really enjoy watching them on Glee but I don’t go around expressing how much I hate the other characters whom other fans love. Why rain on someone else’s joy so much? The show is called “Glee” after all.

There are more of us out there too afraid to post positively perhaps because they’re afraid of being bullied by the haters (particularly here at TVLine). Today you helped me to stop being silent.

• Jess says:

Are you okay?

• O'Brien says:

PREACH.

I think Chord is great on the show. It is hard to play a character that isn’t so quick on the uptake, and he’s infused Sam with a lot of fun and charm. I also think Samchel makes a lot of sense – maybe not to go all the way to the end, but Sam probably feels like a pretty safe person to Rachel at the moment, because they’ve known each other a long time, and he knows everything she’s been going through. Additionally, he has an appreciation of her whole past with Finn, and I can’t imagine him not being respectful of that. Sam is a really, deep down, very good guy, and since the news that Finn would die on the show broke, I thought Sam might be the best guy to at least have her lean on a little bit, outside of Kurt. I think, at the very least, if they make them great friends, I’d be all about that.

I thought the Billy Joel of it all was fabulous. However, I’m so over Jake and Marley that I sort of tune out when they come on. Ryder remains adorable. And Artie can sing virtually anything.

The NY side felt like a backdoor pilot for a show I’d enjoy watching. Just saying.

3. Tess says:

I’m sorry I just really didn’t enjoy the whole Sam and Rachel thing. Isn’t he supposed to be dating that Penny nurse anyways?

4. Mel says:

It seems really random to have Sam or Rachel be interested in each other at this stage. I’m totally not on board with this development.

5. screen time says:

Way too soon for Rachel to move on from Finn and with Sam of all people. He is one of the worst developed characters in sGlee. Has Glee forgotten last seasons episode where Sam did not want to be known just for his body? Where is Sam’ girlfriend?

6. Marta says:

I think that this whole Samchel thing is so unnecessary. A girl (especially a girl in the Rachel’s situation) can be single, but it seems like in the Glee Universe a single girl is a witch that have to be burn.

7. Alison says:

People are ridiculous with their hate of Chord/Sam.

I think its kind of random. But I welcome it. Better him than some strange NYADA person. There is history with them. If they do a slow build, then it could work. And I was a Finchel fan. But at some point its gotta be ok for her to be attracted to and date other guys. Finn would want that and a good guy like Sam I think he would give his blessing to

• may says:

LOL a good guy who has a girlfriend/love of his life every season and who told Rachel she wasn´t his type when she asked him to prom with Mercedes? The same Sam who can´t be dumber even if he tries? You really know Rachel LOL
      I know Chord is Lea´s friend but storywise Sam and Rachel doesn’t make sense and is already doomed.

• Brigitte says:

Even though I completely agree it is too soon, Finn wasn’t a Mensa member. He was a very sweet honorable guy who knew how to be a solid friend/boyfriend. Sam is the same kind of character. Actually kinda makes sense.

• Thea says:

I’ve been with the man I plan on spending forever with for five years. I’ve known him for 9. If you would have asked me even a year after getting to know him if he was “my type” the answer would’ve been a resounding no. Alas, people change. I’m not saying Sam will or should be Rachel’s endgame now (personally, I prefer her with Puck compared to anyone else from her Mckinley days), but it is not an impossibility.

• Ashes says:

LOL Sam told Rachel she wasn’t his type because he was homeless and embarrassed and couldn’t afford prom. Did you even watch that episode, or did the whole purpose of it go over your head??

• mary says:

LMAO Did YOU watch it?? Didn´t he choose Mercedes even though “he was homeless and embarrassed and couldn´t afford prom”??? Or are you implying Mercedes was just some kind of Plan B? Yeah, right!

• Amelia says:

Rachel asked Sam to prom twice. The first time no one knew he was homeless, so he said he probably wasn’t going to prom at all, and when she pushed he said “sorry, you’re just not my type.”. After everyone found out, she and Mercedes asked him together and he took BOTH as friends and did it on a budget. It was actually really sweet, and in my experience more realistic than everyone having a date.

Rachel and Finn were the ones who brought Sam some clothes and got his guitar back from a pawn shop when they found out how poor he was. Rachel helped him quit his job in the sex industry and convinced him to come back to McKinley so he could focus on finishing high school with his friends. She told his parents he could live at her house if necessary, and he did end up living at Finn’s that year. There’s a lot of shared history between them, it’s just been a while since the characters were in the same place and had overlapping plots. I don’t think Sam would disrespect Finn’s memory by inappropriately pursuing Rachel before she’s ready to date again, but if something develops between them over time it could be cute.

• katielou0907 says:

Totally agree with you!!

• abz says:

What is so wrong with some strange NYADA person? That would be so much better than the tired and annoying character that Sam has become. Plus, a NYADA person would help expand that side of the show further. While I love the trio there, eventually the will need to branch that side out and have more people there especially people from NYADA so that the original characters can have newer interactions with different types of people. And if they plan a complete shift to NYC next spring, then additional new NY cast members will definitely be needed.

8. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

I’m glad Becky found a place to grow as a person. I was just recently talking about how I thought Becky was with Sue for too long and the only reason she stayed was because she thought that being Sue’s secretary was her only employment opportunity and it would be impossible to get work elsewhere (thats’s what I thought HER reasoning would be)

9. Lol says:

Sam/Rachel so soon is tacky, Sam’s character is dumb, worthless (and apparently now racist?), Chord is a boring actor, Blam sucks, etc. If this is a preview of NY going down the tubes next year? No thanks.

10. ronnie says:

Rachel will eventually have a relationship with her Funny Girl co-star or they will bring back Jesse St. James to win her heart. This thing with Sam will never be anything except a plot blip to help her get back in the dating scene after Finn. That’s just my take on it all.

• LilAngel says:

I hope so, I like this development

• scooby says:

I love Ioan Gruffudd (he’s great in the Horatio Hornblower miniseries) and he can sing well so normally I’d be all sign me up for more of that, but scenes with him, Lea, and Peter Facinelli are hella awkward for some reason. I feel like they’re self-conscious for some reason. I’d rather Funny Girl stuff happen offscreen unless they build up Ioan’s character more. Right now he exists solely to be a prop for Rachel’s FG numbers. I can’t for Rachel to yell “I’m in tech!” because that’s when things stop being polite, and start getting real. :p No Samchel please. Finn wasn’t the sharpest tool either and I want someone different than we’re seeing. Either a new person or nobody. Maybe someone not in entertainment. How about a teacher like Finn was going to become? An NYC public school teacher.

11. LilAngel says:

Samchel is confusing but there’s chemistry (and a lot of chemistry)…. But if she must date someone from Lima, bring Puck or St James back please.
    And yes, I want Rachel to have a love interest (she can’t stay single forever)

12. Pam says:

Sam was terrible, total waste of time. Horrible double standards with Klaine, I can’t even talk about it. Loved Piano Man and Just the way you are minus horrible Chord. He need to go away. Give me my all NY with Klaine, Rachel and Santana. Couldn’t care less about Becky or the rest of Lima nonsense.

• Disgusting says:

“Couldn’t care less about Becky” God forbid you give a crap about something outside of your precious Blaine. Her storyline was actually useful and relevant to the disabled community, unlike the whiny excuse of a character you prop up.

• nope says:

I don’t agree with any of this, I loved Klaine but I also just loved all five of the characters on the NY side in this episode, including Sam. And Becky was the saving grace of the Lima side.

13. JG says:

This was my favorite episode of Glee in a long time. I liked the little crush with Sam and Rachel though I know I will be in a minority. Ryan Murphy and Lea Michele said Rachel won’t be dating anyone for awhile and I believe it. At the same time it’s a good thing to see Rachel heal, find happiness, and with that will be new crushes. I think it’s a nice possible set up that when Sam comes to NY down the line that they could explore those characters relationship as friends or dating. The next guy who comes to close with Rachel will be scrutinized by fans. At least fans know Sam is a good guy and they were sweet together. Again liked that nothing happened now and they will be separated for awhile but intrigued to see where they go in 2014.

• JJ says:

Sam is not a good guy. And even if he were doesn’t mean he has to hook-up with Rachel. He has dated Quinn, Santana, Brittany, Mercedes, Penny and now Rachel? He needs to stop falling in love and proposing/getting married to/falling in love with any girl who gives him the time of day. It’s about time they stop giving Sam Evans (who is as basic as they come) to every girl on the show.

• may says:

And don´t forget:”He wants to do me” re: Blaine. Yeah! A good guy LOL

• Ashes says:

OMG if people could stop overusing the term “basic,” I would be so happy. It’s like you can’t think of anything that’s ACTUALLY wrong with him, so you have to use a dumb term made popular by Internet trolls.

14. Jenny says:

Sam/Rachel….NO THANK YOU

• Youn says:

+1000000000000. I boycott all samchel scenes from now on. It’ was disgusting to see him exchange the look with Rachel. Finn was his close friend, ugh. Dunno what was in writers mind

• DE says:

Disgusting? Really that is extreme. Why wouldn’t a guy like Rachel rubbing oil on him? It was just a look or two calm down.

• Youn says:

You don’t have to agree with it that was my personal opinion. The minute he came to NYC I was already side eyeing this SL. The minute he stripped down his clothes(for like, a million times) i started rolling my eyes. And then Rachel rubbing oil on his body then Sam giving that meaningful look was just too much I don’t even want to look at it.

15. JJ says:

Didn’t care for the episode. I usually don’t care for the episodes where Sam Evans gets a heavy plot. Sorry, but I think he is a boring unncessary character that should have graduated already and went bye-bye. The fact they even hinted at a Sam/Rachel relationship to begin with is gag-worthy and I pray to GOD they don’t go there. Can someone put Sam in therapy because it’s not healthy for him to crush on every girl he talks to. Stop pairing him up with every Glee girls, that’s enough! Especially with Rachel whom is still grieving her dead boyfriend and literally got a tattoo of Finn’s name on her body last episode.

I liked Blaine in NY. He works there. Sam, not so much. Like, why? Anyways like I saw every single week. NY is better than McKinley. The Lima high school side needs to go already. It’s getting boring, redundant and annoying.

Hurry up and move Blaine and Artie over to NY with Santana/Rachel/Kurt and be done with everyone else.

• scooby says:

Wait, I’m confused, I thought Rachel went to get a tattoo and didn’t have the nerve to go through with it. Kurt got “It’s get better” and she got nothing. Was there some small moment where we saw she really did get something?

16. Single ladies says:

I agree that the most problematic thing with the whole Samchel storyline is that a single, independent girl on Glee is shown to be an almost offensive thing. In this case it’s even more ridiculous because the supposed love of Rachel’s life just died.

• Leslie says:

Exactly. A girl can’t be single on this show. And apparently they can’t have Sam be single for more than 3 episodes either without wanting a soulmate or someone new to propose to. I don’t get the fascination with that character or why they feel the need to pair him up with every girl on the show and treat it like some epic romance (Quinn, Brittany, Mercedes). I’d rather he be gone and killed off the show then have Samchel happen.

• Sean C. says:

A straight girl can’t be single, I think you mean. Santana goes long stretches without a girlfriend, and when she has one there’s never any focus on it.

• Bobbi says:

There’s no such thing as a “single” girl on Glee, there are only girls in need of a guy to teach them all the lessons of life.

17. aa says:

You know what, if they’re planting seeds for a future Sam and Rachel relationship, I’m all for it. Obviously they aren’t going to be in the same city for awhile, so it won’t happen anytime soon. When Rachel does eventually start dating again, I’d rather it be a character I know (and like) rather than them write a new one and have him end up like Brody.

I just wish the New York side of this episode was more dominant. I’d love to see the show focused on the five of them living together in the Big Apple, and I couldn’t have cared less than less about Marley’s boy troubles (though it was nice and unexpected that she kind of kicked them both to the curb).

• may says:

The problem is Sam is Brody 2.0 LOL. Another man ho who can´t be faithful. Rachel deserves more. Damn, ANY girl deserves more than that. Why settle with the first so so guy?

• aa says:

Sam’s never cheated on anyone. If you consider being a stripper on the same level as being a hooker, you should think long and hard about that.

• mary says:

Wait a minute!…Isn´t he dating Penny?,,,,,Oh, snap! LOL….and I´m not talking about the stripper thing but about the….Nah! If you need me to explain it….

• Jaime says:

Still never cheated with anyone. He can be dating Penny and have a dance with Rachel. Nothing happened with Sam and Rachel the episode just showed a crush developing. No one acted on anything yet.

• Seanny says:

If Sam flirting with/dating Rachel is the small price we have to pay for an exclusive NYC focus in the second half of this season we should all jump for it.

• Taylor says:

Lol No! Sam shouldn’t even be in the New York side. Annoying character that doesn’t fit in with that group.
        This is a character that should have left already or atleast stay in Lima. It’s because of Blam (having them joined at the hip) that he’s going to NY.

If this episode was a taste of what it will be like with him there, then I don’t need to watch anymore.

So, no to Rachel and Sam. That thought is laughable and gag worthy altogether.
        No to Sam.

18. Taylor says:

Kitty’s Marilyn Manson quote better be one of your favs!!

19. igo says:

#saynotoBLAMinNYC #dontletBLAMruintheawesomeNYCcrew
    Also I reaaaally dislike this sam rachel development. He just had a crush with school nurse now suddenly he has interest in rachel? Sam has been irritating me since last season and I don’t want him to have romantic relations with my favorite glee character since the beginning of glee. if rachel finally moved on I DON’T want her to date someone from glee club. Let him find a mature man in NYC I’m sure there are a lot of that and see the development with the love interests handling with rachel emotional baggage from finn’s died. I think it would be more interesting

20. kd86953 says:

Any lingering feelings I had for Lima went out the door in this episode. Glee needs to become 100% NYC stat. I greatly enjoyed watching Sam and Blaine with Kurt, Rachel, and Santana. And those five have a TON of history and chemistry. “Just the Way You Are” was so lovely and is everything I want with Glee. Please please PLEASE get rid of Lima! When it comes to a love interest for Rachel, Ryan Murphy has said that he won’t do anything without consulting Lea Michele first. Keep that in mind. My guess is that they wanted to plant that seed, so to speak, to see how people would react to it. Sam won’t be in NYC for awhile anyways so I doubt we’ll see more of the Samchel relationship.

• Single ladies says:

NYC is fine without Sam and Blaine. They suck out all the air (screentime) of a show, and as soon as they hit NYC it’ll be all Blam all the time. No thank you.

• Treda says:

I feel the same. Everyone seems to love New York. I do! But that’s because it focuses for 8 minutes a week on the three characters I like. Bringing in BLAM (ugh!) may give New York more focus but it’s going to suck all the joy and life out of that location too.

21. Libby says:

All I know is Chord makes me want to hit the salad bar and exercise like a maniac!

22. Leslie says:

Whoever’s bright idea it was to have Sam Evans aka Chord Overstreet be a main character who got lots of screentime and storylines on this show needs to be fired. The fact he gets more screentime over fan favorites like Rachel, Santana and Kurt is a joke and a reason why ratings and viewers have tanked so much these last couple seasons.

There is no appeal to him. Just because he takes his shirt off every 5 minutes doesn’t mean people will tune in for that or actually want to see that. His acting is horrible. He mumbles and goes through his lines too fast. His character is boring and should’ve graduated a season ago and left. And it’s getting really annoying how much they pair him up with nearly every girl. And now they want to move Sam Evans over to New York where he doesn’t belong or gel at all with the group and try to force some random relationship with Rachel out of nowhere? No, Glee! No!

• mary says:

All that “Sam´s shirtless” is because he can´t act

• Ashes says:

Oh, is that why he was consistently the most acclaimed by critics last year? Because he was overall, and that’s a fact. Out of everyone in Season 4, Sam got the most attention from the critics for his acting and performances, but you continue to blather blind hate like the rest of these trolls.

• Sean says:

You mean the few reviewers left that are on Glee/Fox payroll? Lol

They were trying so hard to make Chord/Sam happen all through season 4, with the constant tweeting about how great he is. They were trying to boost him as the new male lead but he is anything but.
          Didn’t change the fact that it was undeserving praise for a terrible actor.

• TJ says:

LOL what critics? The only actor consistently acclaimed by the critics last year was Lea Michele and its the same this year.

• karen says:

You do realize that most of the critics, are people that have created their own blogs. They don’t have any journalism backgrounds or even entertainment backgrounds. Most of the real reviewers stopped watching Glee awhile ago. Most of Chord’s praises came from his castmates, they were trying to convince us how good he is suppose to be. Most real reviewers wanted to know why Cory and Lea did not have more scenes together, because their onscreen chemistry was off the charts and never boring. So be careful who you believe.

• Ashes says:

Um, no. Look at EW, TVGuide, Eonline, this website, etc. They consistently pointed him out in their episode coverage. The cast always praises each other, but idiots in the fandom like to pick out who they hate and pretend like they are somehow being pimped because the show is trying too hard. But in the very next episode when it is their fave getting praised by Chord and the rest of the cast, it is because xyz is flawless…. Double standard?

• Sam's abs says:

Sam has to be shirtlesss, it’s Chord’s only real talent.

23. Steph says:

I liked the episode for the most part. I’m getting tired of the Sue/Will battles, but they did a good job; it’s just predictable, after 5 yrs. Loved the Artie/Becky storyline. VERY well done. Past ready for Lima to be gone, though I’ll miss Sue, Beiste, Figgins, Becky..still get Burt & Carole, thank heavens. Ryder’s An Innocent Man was nicely done, as was Artie’s Honesty. Very well done, for both. Moving Out was fun.

MORE than loved the NYC segments-! Kurt and Blaine actually had an excellent talk and Kurt encouraged Blaine to audtion for NYADA, after all. That being said, I’ll be angry if Kurt and Rachel (very talented) failed to get in. Though Rachel blew her audition, Kurt nailed his with “Not The Boy Next Door” and THAT was NOT just a shallow piece of showmanship. There was passion, defiance and even joy/pride in that number. But Blaine seems to ALWAYS get EVERYTHING he tries, with no failure at all. And very little conflict, either. Since Blaine came to McKinley, he’s never been bullied, slushied, verbally harassed…nothing. He nails everything. Even the Prom King loss was staged, to get Tina (and not Blaine..why not get TWO Glee club “losers”?) only. Finn’s issue with Blaine was always an alpha-male territorial thing, not bullying. All of that being said, it would be NICE if (for ONCE), Kurt got to succeed at SOMETHING when Blaine was around. Kurt nailed his impromptu NYADA audition & won Midnight Madness…when Blaine wasn’t there. Kurt was the reason I started watching Glee and is the reason I still watch it. I wish to heaven there had been a Kurt character and/or openly gay performer when I was in high school.

Sorry for the venting; I did love the Klaine scenes. Very much. They were wonderfully performed and charming, as were the Diva Dorm song fest. THAT was fantastic: Just The Way You Are was GREAT. Everyone was right on the money and sounded great. I particularly loved Kurt and Santana. Blaine and Rachel were great, but we get to hear them so often that it’s not something important/noticeable. Kurt was smooth as silk and Santana was cinnamon warmth. Sam was a comfortable support, but uninspired & uninspiring. The awkward glance between Sam and Rachel was …ewwww…Maybe (MAYBE) it might be OK later, but it’s far too soon. I don’t have a problem with Chord at all, but Sam just bores me. Same with Blam. I AM looking forward to KElliott ;) Some major chemistry there…

24. Carlos Alvarez says:

I actually liked the chemistry between Sam and Rachel. If she’s gonna like anyone I would rather it be someone we know. I enjoyed the whole episode

25. gleemark says:

Didn’t like this episode AT ALL!!!!!! 1. Samchel? seriously??? This is one of the worst things the writters have done… IS TOO SOON!!.. OMG I just can’t believe it, why Lea agreed to do that. 2. What ABOUUUUT Tina’s Future? This is getting so annoying, nobody mention anything, Rachel would have helped her to get into NYADA just the way Tina helped Rachel in season 3, but instead of that we have NOTHING about Tina’s future, and she was ignored in this episode again, if she don’t go to NY I will get really really mad, I don’t want to loose another original. 3. Im not a Blam fan at all, I would have prefer to see Tartie in NY instead of them, but well I hope we see the 4 seniors in NY soon, not only Blam.

26. YeMo says:

Honestly why is everyone acting like Sam and Rachel suddenly hooked up or something? Sure they had a few awkward ‘we may like each other’ moments but nothing has happened. And I doubt anything serious will happen. It may just end up be one sided (Sam likes Rachel hopefully not the other way around God forbid) or hopefully be a plot to get Rachel to think about moving on after Finn (but not with Sam just thinking about dating anyone in general) but if samchel happens suddenly no offense as much I like the show, but it would be cracked up and just bad attention to plot (Sam and Nurse Penny are sort of dating right) (also I know this isn’t the only plot problem but it may be one of the last straws)

• Lyria says:

Thank you! I’m guessing Ryan Murphy wanted to test out the reaction to this pairing, but it won’t necessarily go anywhere. I saw it as just a little bit of attraction because Sam has a really nice body.The scene with the oil to me looked like – Sam: They’re good pecs, right? Rachel: Yes… and now I’m slightly uncomfortable. Sam isn’t even the worst character on the show, so I’m not sure why there’s so much hate.

27. Fiona Goode says:

I don’t give a crap what anyone says at this point. Chord is hot, Sam is adorbs, and there’s nothing wrong with Rachel having a little crush.

This is Glee, not the second coming of Breaking Bad. It is dang mediocre tv show where kids sing and dance, sometimes in the school cafeteria. I don’t take it seriously and i find hating on any actor or character on a tv show like this to be totally insane. Just enjoy it for what it is. If you hate, loads of other stuff on the boob tube and internet to enjoy.

• Jade says:

I can’t say for sure since I never cared for the couple but my guess is the idea of Sam/Rachel is offensive to some Finchel fans because not only did they get a lot of pointless drama for their couple over the years, but none of it really got resolved in a satisfactory way due to Cory’s passing. Those fans invested years into a couple and probably don’t want that to be just brushed aside. Honestly I think the show might have done better to wait until after graduation to even float the idea since by spring the actor/character’s death wouldn’t feel so fresh.

• Fiona Goode says:

That’s just my point, LOL. Being “offended” by a fictional couple being together on a tv show is so funny to me. It is a tv show. And a HS one at that, where characters are bound to at some point, sleep around with everyone for the sake of drama and plot. It is just so funny how over the top “fandoms” get with their anger to any television character or couple.

• Martina says:

So now objecting to lack of narrative sense and poor scripts and acting is “over the top fandoms.” Wow. Nice way to minimize anything that isn’t gushing worship for the show. If a show sucks, that/s the break, it’s not “fandom”s fault. It happens.

• really says:

But nothing has even happened Sam and Rachel looked at each other. Maybe Sam will be used to future her grieving process. How long is long enough for Rachel to have to mourn her dead EX boyfriend?

• Angela says:

Thank you. There’s legit critique, which is totally fine, and then there’s just insane overreaction.
      I’m not a “shipper” for this show so I’m not bent out of shape one way or another about Sam/Rachel-if it happens, cool, if it doesn’t, that’s okay, too.
      As for me, I liked the music, the photo shoot stuff was fun, and I’m liking how Marley’s standing her ground in regards to Jake. I fully understand her still feeling conflicted about her feelings for him-that happens with many couples who go through big problems-but I like that he’s got to work a bit to regain her trust. If he can.

28. Ruby says:

I’m really weirded out by the Sam/Rachel thing. I like Chord and have found him unexpectedly hilarious this season, but if they HAVE to pair Rachel up again, I wish it would be with a guy who was at least *somewhat* equal to her musically. Cory, though I loved him to death, was never near her caliber (musically) either. What I’d love is if they cast Josh Groban as a sexy professor or if Adam Lambert’s character unexpectedly turned out to be straight. Both those guys have tremendous voices and are as great in their own genres as Lea is in hers. Before this show is over, she deserves that.

• scooby says:

Oooh I like where your head is. Josh can act. I liked his part on Ally McBeal a long time ago. That’s where I first heard of him. I really think a teacher would be a great way to pull in the type of person Cory wanted to be. You know those PS22 videos with the kids choir in NYC? (check ‘em out on Youtube) Have Josh be a teacher like that so that he’s found a way to do singing in school but not a show choir. That way we can get singing and covers. Rachel could do Broadway and get to make a difference with kids. Perfect. I agree Cory was no match for her vocally really. He was great, sweet, talented, but they acted like Rachel’d finally found someone who could rise to her level and it was purely on paper because the show needed him to be that. He could never hold his own with her unless he had some autotune help and even then it felt like she’d always outsing him. I’d rather Adam’s character be allowed to just be and not put him in a relationship with anybody. Someone on this show needs to be on their own. Starchild is cool and I’d like to appreciate him without some romantic entanglement.

• Ashes says:

Josh Groban has already been on Glee as himself twice.

• really says:

or just bring back Jesse St James.

29. Jillian says:

It’s just too soon and with somebody too close to the situation. Sam has literally been with EVERY original female on this show except Tina. Enough is enough. Rachel needs time by herself to a. mourn, b. grow, and c. focus on her career. It’s like being single in the Glee universe if catastrophic. Plus, Sam already has a girlfriend so this was just unnecessary. The only thing that was OK about this development is that if they go in this direction, this episode served as a subtle opening to the relationship. If they get together in like 5 episodes from now, no one can say that it was completely out of left field.

30. Shannon says:

My opinion? Rachel should hook up with Elliott. He’s so obviously a great guy and can keep up with her talent-wise. And Adam Lambert is unbelievably and deliciously sexy. If NPH can play a hound dog, AL can play straight. Just sayin’.

31. TB says:

Just the thought of Sam and Rachel has be running for the vomit bag.

32. g says:

Bye. I feel so bad for Klaine fans after this episode.

33. Brigitte says:

Wow!! How did Unique not know who Billy Joel is? Not only does he stand on his own as an iconic singer/songwriter, but his tours with Elton John are legendary!!!

34. Bryan says:

I tuned in tonight to try and give Glee another chance, but I’ll tune back out again if they are going the Sam and Rachel route. Just no.

35. Pam says:

I’m not against Samchel. I’ve liked the idea of them together since Season 2. For everyone saying it’s too soon, of course it is, but this is a television show. It’s sad that Cory died (I loved the guy) but because of this, Finn is no longer a character on the show. Finchel can’t be endgame if one half of the couple isn’t there. A television show based on teens/young adults thrives on romantic relationships. Do I think Sam and Rachel should hook up immediately? No, but it doesn’t mean they can’t throw hints here and there. Lea and Chord have good chemistry and I wouldn’t mind seeing their characters together eventually. Rachel is the female lead. There is going to be a romance eventually. Why not Sam?

36. scooby says:

I thought the line “Classic BJ—Billy! Billy Joel!” from Sam was funny.

37. Babygate says:

I was looking forward to this episode because I’ve always been a huge Billy Joel fan so I watched the whole thing without fast-forwarding the Lima scenes. Although I’m not interested in her story, I think it’s fitting and sweet that they are giving Becky a promising future. Anything else in Lima, with the exception of anything that Sue says, was uninteresting and irritating but thankfully, did not take over the entire hour. Loved NY. Didn’t even mind Sam being there. I’m not a fan, I think he’s one of the most insipid characters ever written, and the whole ‘I love me just the way I am’ it’s totally unrealistic. You can love yourself, but if you want to go into a certain industry, you have to follow their rules. So, choose. That being said, it kind of makes sense for Sam and Rachel to kind of end up together. He is dumb as a rock but he’s sweet. And Rachel needs that to help her heal. Completely loved the last NY scene where they are all singing. That scene felt right. Like that’s what the show should be about. Add Adam Lambert and Demi and you got the potential for something great. And how great is it that the show is going back to Tuesdays. They should have never, ever attempted to put it on Thursdays at 9.

38. igo says:

I just realized what makes NY storylines so enjoyable, it’s because there’s no BLAM in there. Once they move there all the dynamics and the interaction with santana, kurt and rachel will be ruined. And don’t start with the try hard character named sam. He likes every female characters on the show and samchel is can’t even have the chemistry that finchel had it just so weird watching him. And this is coming from non finchel fan

39. Highroller says:

#BLAMFOREVER

40. omar says:

Michael where’s the grade for “you may be right” by Mr. Shue, Kitty, Artie, Jake and Ryder?????

Favorite song? “An innocent man”.

I dont like Blam. Loved Santana and Tyra. Loved Becky’s storyline. I liked that Marley stayed single.
    About Rachel+Sam, Im gonna kill myself if this is real.

41. para says:

Chord really needs some acting lessions, he is really really unlikeable.

42. abz says:

Rachel and Sam better NOT happen! NO ONE WANTS TO THAT!
    And PLEASE Glee people, cut Sam and Ryder’s hairs!!!

43. abz says:

Also, I really wish they would have actually went that Blaine med school or non-NYADA route. It’s really annoying the fact that they all want to go into entertainment. In reality it’s definitely not like that, and yeah I know already not to expect realism from Glee, but it’s still annoying.
    Is it just me or has Sue really changed since she became principal? I mean she’s still a nutjob, but more than half the time I think she’s more appropriate than Will. Which reminds me, I really miss Emma. I wish they didn’t let her go.

44. RUCookie says:

I Absolutely loved tonote’s episode. Thought all the strings were strong. The billy Joel catalogue really suited Sam well ( and Artie, Blaine, Kurt, and the other 2 guys). Could have b-slapped Monique when she pretended not to know Billy Joel- how is that freaking possible? And I totally love the idea of a Sam/Rachel hookup…she needs a post Finn moment to help her move on. And I though the scene at the loft showed us a strong cast for the inevitable NYC move…cuz really the HS triangle is not exciting….

45. Diz says:

Sams my favorite so bring on Samchel.

• Dawn says:

Sam fans will always be happy as long as he keeps sponging off popular characters that gets him more screen time.

I don’t know why the writers are trying to make this character happen. He gets worse every episode.

46. Trouty Mouth says:

Ryder is a tool, can’t stand his whole “I’m such a good guy, I’m so innocent” crap. He’s almost as bad as Brittany was.

47. Ony says:

Wow glee writers are trying really hard to make people NOT watch their show, are they? After Lima, They can’t resist to also destroy NY characters. Whether you like the characters or not, it’s very inappropriate for the to even HINT any romantic interests for Rachel because it’s only a little over a month after Finn died and Sam just had a crush with a nurse. Give it a time, writers why are you trying so hard to make every female characters to be in such a need for boys. Rachel has A LOT of potential story lines that don’t include love interests if you guys are really trying to make a good show. I still watch the show just for the sake of Rachel. But if they force this samchel thing, I don’t even think I will watch glee anymore completely. Tonight’s episode is the new low for the glee writers, but I’m sure they will break their records since they always find the way to do that. Never expected that new writers, chord and Darren will do such a damage to a show that was my favorite Back then

• Tracy says:

Ever since the new writers came in this show has been getting worse and worse. Plus the overexposure of the characters Blaine and especially Sam makes Glee impossible to watch and enjoy.

I personally think Sam is just not the right character to be in NY side, it’s just so forced. No offense to Chord, I’m sure he’s a great guy, but his acting is terrible. Sam was a character that worked in small doses, a plot here and there.

Also next weeks episode with the puppets? Why? This show is just done now.

• Ony says:

Have you read one of the glee writers reply(Michael Hitchcock) in twitter about the upcoming “unaired” Christmas episode? The explanation about that episode timeline from him was so absurd and didn’t make any sense I can’t believe FOX agreed with their ideas

• Tracy says:

The writers of this show ran out of ideas a long time ago. It’s got to the point where they don’t know how to write and move storylines (if you can call it that) along.

All the show is now is cracky ideas that serve no purpose for future episodes. Plus a messed up timeline because they really shot themselves in the foot with extending the school year. That’s the reason for this out of place Christmas episode.

The writers are literally making it up as they go along and I can’t believe Fox has let it get this bad.

• Sean C. says:

The decline of this show predates the new writers. Indeed, pretty much all the problems are signature features of Ryan Murphy’s other shows (tonal inconsistency, getting bored easily with plots and characters, etc.).

48. A says:

I loved this episode. The NYC stuff was great, I’m just sad graduation is so far away. Lima had its moments, Ryder’s song was nice. As for Samchel, they just had a few little things here and there, not really a huge deal. I think it would be nice to see her move on eventually, and Sam is a great guy. Kurt and Blaine didn’t get much, but I liked what they got. Santana coming into the song at the end was funny.

• TJ says:

Rachel is 19, she doesn’t need Sam and Sam will always be Rachel’s second choice and the one she settles for. It’s tacky for Sam to move in on Rachel so soon and It’s pretty crappy of the writers to do this and all it did was make me despise Sam.

• Ashes says:

Did you watch the episode? He didn’t “move in on her”…. All he did was freaking LOOK at her. She looked at him, too! So is she tacky as well? Seriously, good lord.

49. No more Glee for me says:

I think it’s disrespectful to Cory to use Sam as a Finn replacement 3 episodes after Finn dies not to mention cruel to Finchel Fans. I’m done, time to move on from this show, this episode made me realize everything I like about NY will end once Blam takes over, add the Samchel and it’s watchable. Good luck to those sticking around.

50. Taylor says:

Glee is just so bad now that the only thing that keeps me watching is the NY crew with Rachel, Santana and Kurt. Plus Adam and Demi.

Now they want to add Blaine and Sam (two of the biggest screen time whores) in the New York side. That is enough to make me stop watching altogether.
    The NY side gets limited focus as is at the moment. 10 minutes if were lucky. As soon as Blam get there, they will take over.

Not here for that!