Post Mortem: Revolution Boss on Aaron's 'Dangerous' Vision, Rachel/Miles' Future and More

Revolution Season 2 SpoilersWarning: The following contains major spoilers from this Wednesday’s episode of Revolution.

On Wednesday’s fall finale of Revolution, the source behind Aaron’s special abilities is revealed to be… a small child?

Technically, it’s nanobots coming to Aaron in the guise of a childhood friend. When he turned the power on, he woke up the ‘bots and so they wanted to protect him, the little boy explains.

After Horns shoots Cynthia, Aaron commands the child to kill all the Patriots, who go up in flames, but the A.I.-like tech stops short of healing Aaron’s girlfriend. He doesn’t understand why Aaron would want him to leave and then come, kill and then heal, etc.

Below, co-showrunner Rockne S. O’Bannon breaks down what the “dangerous” nanobots mean for our heroes. Plus, he previews Miles’ romantic future with Rachel, Monroe’s search for his son and Neville’s changing agenda in light of reuniting with wife Julia.

VIDEO | Revolution Season 2 — ‘Lost’ Rachel and Miles Kiss

TVLINE | Talk to me about the thinking in the writers’ room behind the nanobot twist.
The nanobot twist is something that really launches us into how we’re viewing the latter half of the season, which is kind of its own standalone event. People should be prepared for the last part of the season to really crank up all the show’s mythology on all sorts of levels. [There are] very big plot moves relative to the nano, but also in terms of the Patriots and what their game is and all the lengths that we have to go to to stop that. Character relationships — all that stuff is going to be wildly dialed up. The nano is one of the most exotic ideas about this world. [Aaron is] the perfect front man to lead us into that world. Where the nano takes him upcoming is fascinating and extremely emotional. We’re really going to be putting Aaron through the ringer in that regard.

TVLINE | When the little boy says, “You woke us up,” referring to when Aaron turned on the power, does that mean that technology was awake in the world, not just in Aaron?
Yeah. The nano is everywhere. There’s trillions of them. They not only infuse the atmosphere, but our bodies, as well. But it was Aaron’s actions at the tower that initially signaled him to be special. And then there’s other things that we’ll discover. There are other reasons why Aaron has been singled out by the nano.

TVLINE | Has the nanotechnology now developed a mind of its own?
It certainly seems that way.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed?

TVLINE | It seems to be able to think on its own, because it’s making decisions.
Yeah. There was a hint of that when Aaron saw Ben a while back. But at that stage, the nano was young enough or new enough that it could pull Ben from Aaron’s memories, but it couldn’t really do much more than appear to him. Now, in Episode 9, it’s managed to manifest, but manifest as a child, someone who Aaron knew from his youth, representing the nano as a young entity. It chose to come to him as a child who is very curious and asks lots of questions and to be a little bit petulant and potentially maybe even dangerous.

TVLINE | Has the nanotechnology abandoned Aaron for good?
It surely seems like that, coming off of [Episode] 9. But it’s still out there. Another potential takeaway from [this episode] is: We want to go away and think about what we’ve just experienced. [We're] not sure how we feel about Aaron’s individual actions, but also what that means in terms of how human beings act and react to things. There’s a potential for an uncertain, possibly judgmental nanotech that’s out there, and the danger is, it’s literally everywhere.

TVLINE | And Aaron can’t control it anymore.
Yeah. It would do his bidding because it chose to help him and do what he wanted it to. But now, at least as of the climax of [Episode] 9, it’s not going to do that for him anymore, at least in the short term — which is a huge relief for Aaron, obviously, but also a very scary proposition. If it’s not relating to him in any way, what is it thinking? What is it doing?

TVLINE | One last Aaron-related question: Is Cynthia definitely dead?
There are deaths and resurrections on our show. As of the conclusion of [Episode] 9, yes, she’s dead. But I can’t promise that there won’t be some really unique twists and turns in regards to that.

TVLINE | Neville and Miles have been fighting the Patriots on two separate fronts. Are the two groups going to intersect and team up?
There’s a natural magnetism involved in terms of always wanting to bring our characters back together. They are fighting the Patriots on two different fronts with two different agendas. Neville just got this gigantic whallop in discovering that Julia’s still alive. That becomes a major twist in his motivations. Avenging her death is his entire reason for going after the Patriots and wanting to assassinate the President in particular. He was totally on track to follow that mission, a very personal mission, and now suddenly, here’s Julia showing up as he’s approaching the White House.

So the next few episodes are really very fraught as he reunites with Julia and his agenda shifts, relative to the position that she’s in now with someone very high up in the Patriot hierarchy. It’s always bubbling under the surface, that notion of how and when are our characters will start to come together and clash. You can certainly expect that to be happening some time as we get into the latter half of the season.

Revolution Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | What’s in store for Monroe in terms of his search for his son?
Monroe, as we met him at the beginning of the season, was a lost soul, someone who had lost his nation and, essentially, his reason for being. Discovering that he has a son really lights a fire under him. That becomes a strong passion for him. He’s a man with a very strong mission. That sets him off on an adventure, in which he entangles others of the team to join him to seek out and reunite with his son, whom he’s never met and has no idea what situation he’s in. It’s really quite surprising what he discovers.

TVLINE | Miles’ confession in this episode turned a page for him and Rachel. How will their relationship evolve?

1. Dan says:

Any idea when this show comes back?

2. Kissan says:

Does anybody know when the show is coming back? At the end of the episode they showed a promo for The Blacklist instead.

• Carla Krae says:

Yeah, this is the mid-season finale. Probably January, then taking a break for the Olympics…..or they’ll wait for after the Olympics.

3. Oscar says:

This is crazy!!

4. Rose says:

Rachel and Miles is so forced, it drives me nuts. Just the two lead characters being thrown together. I wonder if the show is ever going to address the fact that Miles tortured Rachel, attempted to punch her and grabbed her neck. Oh and he also destroyed her family. Everyone forgets he destroyed the life of the woman he loves when he decided to go after Ben.

• Valerie says:

I disagree… Love Rachel and Miles together, he was her first choice and I also think that they have a lot of chemistry, but i guess you’re right about the tortured thing… Need more explanations.

• Rose says:

I know they love each other. They are meant to be. It doesn’t make them less forced. Miles and Rachel are very different from each other. They were put together because Miles is the main male character and Rachel is the main female character. I guess Miles needs to have a daughter too, apparently. Just like Monroe has a son. I truly believe this is the main reason Miles and Rachel were thrown together. So Charlie can be his daughter. Well, chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don’t think they have chemistry. Elizabeth Mitchell had wonderful chemistry with Charles Mesure, Josh Holloway, Kyle Chandler and even David Lyons (Monroe), just to name a few. I just can’t see the chemistry between her and Billy Burke.

• Cass says:

I disagree that they were “forced” together just because they were the male and female leads (also disagree that they don’t have chemistry, but that’s another matter). Remember that Charlie was originally meant to be the female lead of the show, and the Rachel character was just background. Then they reimagined the character and recast with EM. But either they retooled Rachel when they got the idea of giving her a past with Miles, or they added the romance once they saw EM/BB’s chemistry. In either case, it was an organic development.

• Dennis says:

I disagree you can tell they have strong feelings for each other and a very complicated history, I keep thinking Charlie is going to end up being his daughter.

• Express says:

This Rachel and Miles relationship is a case of writers giving shippers what they want. I felt it was forced from the get go. I just never understood it.

There’s something really wrong with Rachel to long so much for someone who tortured her. Left her with Monroe and never made any attempt to go rescue her. He could have gathered people who wanted to take down Monroe and train them. He chose to hide. He only reluctantly went back because of Charlie.

• Rose says:

To be fair with Miles, he saw a body and thought Rachel was dead. It was a forced way to lessen Miles’ role in destroying Rachel’s family. Now everyone thinks Monroe did all the bad things against Rachel and forgets Miles also did bad things to her. It’s not gonna be surprising if we learn he actually never tortured her, when it was implied he did it. Which is not going to work because Miles wanted to torture Rachel anyway. I believe this Rachel and Miles relationship is to reveal Charlie is Miles’ daughter. What shippers want is Monroe and Charlie together, which is something that is not going to happen. So Rachel and Miles is not about viewers, it’s about doing what the writers want, probably to reveal that Miles is Charlie’s father. Either way it’s very forced. They are a romantic pairing, so let’s forget everything Miles did against Rachel because they love each other. Rachel’s character is the one destroyed here. Completely destroyed because of a forced romance.

• Alan Bareiro says:

I actually think, Liz has great chemistry with everyone, including Billy. But I don’t see such thing from him, for some reason. Maybe a little more this season, but still. I actually think Bass and Rachel would have made a superior couple. The chemistry in there is just from another world.

5. Big Mike says:

Jeez this show is a mess. I feel like every week they get a brand new room of writers and say “Okay now what YOU do to the story”? It has gotten so convoluted and far removed from it’s original premise, the only reason to watch is to see how BIG of a train wreck it will become.

• Carla Krae says:

A premise that the audience assumes exists doesn’t have to equal what the creator has in mind – in this case, Eric Kripke. And since he had a 5-year plan for Supernatural, I’d be surprised if he didn’t have a long outline for Revolution, as well. We were always heading here.

6. h says:

If Cynthia comes back, th e n i want Nora back

7. Alison says:

I only care about Monroe

8. Hi says:

Did Miles die? I’m confused, at the end of the season finale, it showed Miles closing his eyes and lying there and he did not wake up when Rachel tried to.

• Meghan says:

He’s unconscious. I doubt he’s dead.

• Bob says:

No, he’s not dead. That would be too big a character to kill off this early. As was said in the interview:

“Despite all the fronts that they’re fighting on… there’s a real opportunity for their attraction to each other to take root and blossom. Viewers can look forward to seeing that occurring in the midst of all the fraught Patriot action. It’ll be nice to see that relationship starting to solidify.”

9. Alichat says:

I actually like Miles and Rachel together this season. And that flashback scene to 6 years prior to the blackout, when Miles got choked up, I think that scene was very well done by Burke. Rachel annoyed the crap out of me last season, so I’m glad they changed her character up a bit this season. I’m not 100% sold on the nanobot becoming AI….although Aaron’s Haley Joel comment cracked me up….but I’ll wait and see how it turns out. Not that interested in Neville’s story anymore. I’m not sure why.

10. Jing says:

I love this show so much. It looks like it’s going to heat up a lot in the second part of the season, thankfully. The technology / electricity drama is a big reason why I like this show, so it’s good that they are going back towards that direction. I love Aaron, he’s my favorite and it’s good to hear that this isn’t the last he’ll ever see of the nano AI.

I also really hope Monroe and Charlie hook up. They look good together and have similar personalities. It might be cheesy if they make it an all out relationship but at least write in some tension / jealousy / a fling / something into the story between them.

• I think Charlie is going to end up being basses daughter’ I think Miles was told by someone Monroe had a son and whoever told him was mistaken that it had been a girl and it was Charlie. If anyone remembers in the first episodes when Monroe had Rachel as a prisoner —- he seemed like he had known her intimately by his looks and actions. Who knows what he did to her—-maybe that’s why she dislikes him so much.

• Ally Oop says:

If that was the case then I would stop watching the show. I know it’s cometely wrong but I want Monroe and Charlie together. Tracey and David have so much onscreen chemistry. And I think it doesn’t help that they’re only like five years age difference in real life. Also, if Monroe and Charlie were to develop a relationship it would create a lot of interesting conflict between all the h.

11. Cass says:

I love Miles and Rachel, but it almost seems like things are going too easily for them (minus Miles dying from gangrene, which we know isn’t going to happen). It’s a problem when their biggest obstacle this season has been that her daddy doesn’t like him–pretty silly when we’re talking about people in their forties, especially given all the baggage they have (Ben/Nora/Rachel’s imprisonment). On the other hand I hope the obstacle isn’t that he reacts badly to the inevitable reveal that Charlie’s his daughter. Dude doesn’t have a lot of room to complain considering that he’s the one who broke it off with Rachel AND that he’s been hiding the truth about Monroe’s kid from him. BB and EM have crazy chemistry and a complicated, tragic backstory–I just want their present-day story to be worthy of that.
    Things are looking super-rough for Aaron, on the other hand, and while I can’t say I love the fridging of Cynthia, I do love that they’ve found this throughline for him.
    Is Ted Beineke the president? Or maybe they can get Bryan Cranston…?

12. Dennis says:

“I’m Batman” I laughed so hard at this it was awesomely unexpected

13. Richard says:

The bots are looking for a new hosts. “Oh look, Miles has died. Lets bring him back to life and inhabit his mind and do his thinks”

14. Baileigh says:

Am I the only one who finds it a bit suspicious that Monroe keeps “leaving” the scene when it comes to fights with the Patriots? He isn’t even being shy about it, he saw an exit and after a few side glances at Charlie who took off….only to come right back. Even in the ship yard with Aaron he was more concerned with himself and what would happen to him if he was caught then the people he was supposed to be protecting. It just seems odd that Monroe who never runs from a fight is suddenly running from fights. I am assuming that the Patriots still think he is dead right? So maybe he is holding on to that advantage of being dead. No one is looking for him, no one expects him to be there.

15. kim kardashian baby girl yahoo says:

You just need to be sure that you’re consuming the right kinds of fats.
    Kim Kardashian has at all times been in controversies for one
    or the opposite reason. The people who put their arms around you and tell you that you’re right, the world isn’t fair and your excuses
    for not succeeding are perfectly valid are not your friends.

16. Nancy says:

Miles and Rachel’s relationship is boring.

17. NancyM says:

I’m looking forward to the development of the Rachel/Miles relationship and some flashbacks to their past. I think BB and EM have great chemistry. Billy Burke, Elizabeth Mitchell and David Lyons are the main reasons why I watch the show. I like the fact that no character is all good or bad, they all have pretty complex histories. My absolute favorite relationship is the bromance between Miles and Monroe. I hope they have some good scenes together as well.

18. Gina says:

I absolutely hate the idea of Monroe and Charlie. It is wrong on so many levels. No way!