Tomorrow People's Robbie Amell Previews Hook-Up Aftermath: 'Things Really Fall Apart'

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersHoly awkwardness, Tomorrow People!

On last week’s episode, Stephen and Cara sealed the deal while her boyfriend John was conveniently out of town. But the brunette isn’t exactly cuddling up to Stephen the morning after, previews star Robbie Amell.

Plus, Cara’s significant other won’t be MIA in Wednesday’s outing (The CW, 9/8c), which means “payback” is in order when the Tomorrow People leader finds out about the indiscretion.

Below, Amell also weighs in on what Jedikiah knows, the search for Stephen’s father and where Astrid fits in.

RELATED | The CW Picks Up The Originals, The Tomorrow People and Reign for Full Seasons

TVLINE | The Stephen/Cara hook-up happened a lot sooner than I was expecting. What was your reaction when you read the script?
It happened sooner than everyone was expecting. [Laughs] I was very surprised, as well. You find out in Episode 7 that it totally works. It really ends up being just a small part of the ongoing love triangle between the three of them.

TVLINE | John and Cara weren’t exactly broken up when it happened.
No. Stephen’s a homewrecker.

TVLINE | Where does that leave Stephen and Cara in the next episode?
It picks up the morning after Episode 6. Stephen and Cara  are waking up in a hotel room. Stephen thinks that everything’s great, they’re going to be together, and she couldn’t shut it down fast enough. She puts an end to it right away. She tries to figure out a way to tell John. Stephen goes to Ultra and has to deal with the loss of another partner. He’s having a really crappy day and says some things to Jedikiah and just needs to step away from Ultra. Things really fall apart at the beginning of Episode 7.

TVLINE | When John gets back, does he sense that something’s happened?
He starts to figure that something happened. The first time that Stephen and John see each other in Episode 7, John doesn’t know. There’s a weird, awkward conversation. And then John does find out. He has a little bit of payback with Stephen at a basketball game. Then they have an old-fashioned fistfight.

PHOTOS | Arrow Season 2 Spoilers — Grant Gustin as The Flash

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | John and Stephen have had a contentious relationship from that start of the series.  Does this only add fuel to the fire?
Absolutely. No matter what way you cut it, I slept with John’s girl. That’s all you need to know. We’re not going to be buddies anytime soon. But by the end of the episode, for the survival of our species, we put our [issues] aside, and we’re going to work together to try to find my dad.

TVLINE | Does Stephen’s placement in the underground Tomorrow People world get shaken up as a result of all of this?
Definitely. Everything is getting shaken up and falling apart because of the situations he’s been and the situations he’s put himself in. Whether it’s at Ultra, having lost partners and being surrounded by death… People are starting to see him like a parasite at Ultra. Nobody wants to be affiliated with him. At the Tomorrow People, only John and Cara know about it, but those are the two leaders of the Tomorrow People. It throws a wrench in everything there. Really, the only person Stephen can be himself with and confide in is Astrid. And he manages to screw that up in Episode 7. He screws things up with everybody who’s close to him in Episode 7 and pushes everybody away.

TVLINE | Now that Stephen has this thing with Cara, is there any possibility of him and Astrid? Or does he not have romantic feelings for her?
You get to see a little heart-to-heart in Episode 7 that really shows how Stephen and Astrid feel about each other.

PHOTOS | The Originals Season 1 Spoilers — Hayley Comforts Elijah

TVLINE | Does Stephen telling Astrid about his powers put her in a difficult position going forward? Does he regret doing that?
Regret would be the wrong word. He didn’t want to, but he’d rather have her know and be his friend than not tell her and lose her. The only problem is, now he has the superhero syndrome where you tell somebody closest to you and it’s only just a matter of time before somebody else finds out and they’re used against you.

TVLINE | Stephen was just getting the hang of his powers, and this week, Jedikiah takes them away. How does Stephen deal with that?
It starts with everything falling apart, and then Astrid says, “If I had these powers, I would have fun with them.” So you get to see a different side of Stephen. He steps away from Ultra. He steps away from The Tomorrow People. He’s being an 18-year-old kid with powers, using them to become popular, win basketball games and hook-up with girls.

Jedikiah, obviously, says, “That’s not what your powers are there for. You can’t use your powers in public. Let’s see how you deal without your powers,” and slaps a suppression cuff on him. It really doesn’t change much in regards to Stephen’s mindset. He’s still very bullheaded. He runs into things face first. He ends up going after the breakout of the episode, a Tomorrow Person rapist, without his powers and tries to take him down himself.

TVLINE | How long can Stephen keep working at Ultra without his uncle realizing he’s a double agent? Jedikiah’s no dummy…
No, and I think Jedikiah is blissfully ignorant about certain things. I think he knows something’s going on, but if he doesn’t know what it is, then he can’t be held accountable for it. Ultimately, there’s a hierarchy above Jedikiah that really makes the decisions. And Jedikiah doesn’t want to see Stephen end up the same way his father did. I think he is protective of him, even though he has an odd way of showing it sometimes.

TVLINE | In terms of Stephen’s search for his father, how is he going about finding him?
It moves very quickly. At the end of Episode 7, you meet my dad for the first time that’s not in a flashblack. It really becomes the catalyst for Episode 8 and 9 and for the rest of the season.

TVLINE | One of the upcoming episodes is called “Death’s Door.” Should we be worried for someone’s fate?
Yeah, you should be worried for my fate. Stephen has some very close encounters with dying in Episode 7 and 9.

Comments (23)

• And with that overdose of soap: I’m slipping out of here.

Not overly surprised, soap story lines are all the favorite now it seems for various writers.

Best of luck, liked the actors well enough, not the writing choices.

Comment by John 1138 – November 19, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so mad at last week’s episode! Cheating is the worst and for Cara to have no respect for John really irked me. I don’t know if I will watch from here on out–I guess I will see how they handle it, but cheating seems like a) lazy writing and b) the writers don’t have any respect for the characters they created. :(

Comment by Eileen – November 19, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eeech. They really ruined all the potential of this series with a long set of awful decisions. The cast is likable individually, but the three leads have zero chemistry in any combination (even the most interesting combo, Stephen/John, is still boring), and with all the cool things Tomorrow People can do, these folks have no brains at all if they are being nearly exterminated. The whole Stephen and Ultra is an awful choice – it kills the moral underpinning of the lead. Such potential killed by such horrible choices. It’s rare for me to do for a genre show, but I dropped this one.

Comment by Temperance – November 19, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knock-off the love triangle!

Comment by Me – November 19, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why?

Comment by Songpop Lover – November 20, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because they are lame and Cara and Stephan are just wrong, they don’t eork no matter how hard they try to shove it down our throats.

Comment by Dmac – November 20, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That whole hooking up thing was weird, since Stephen is still a kid more or less. But the series has played it really awkwardly to begin with, having him work in Ultra as though he isn’t a teenager… He had this weird professional life on one hand, then on the second hand he’s being grounded when he’s late for dinner and his mommy gets pissed in his kid life, then he’s sleeping with the older girlfriend of the older leader of the wild band of mutants (not a new species!) on the third hand.

The show really lacks focus. It’s telling a dozen different character stories at once, with one main character. Plus, am I the only one who thinks it’s weird how TV shows are suddenly making it seem like no big deal to go around stealing stuff?

Comment by Drew – November 19, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So pissed about the cara/stephen hookup.thought it would happen in the 16th or 7th ep or there about.I wanted him and astrid to date..
    I dunno if the writers want us to hate John,but I actually really like him.he’s very logical in his thinking,plus he’s hot.he’s actually my fave.
    Am not really pissed beacause cara cheated,boys in tv cheat all the time so its kinda different to see a girl cheat.

Comment by meah – November 19, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we all love John :D

Comment by Songpop Lover – November 20, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it would be great if they switched the John and Stephan actors. I know it wouldnt really make sence but John is way hotter ;D

Comment by Songpop Lover – November 20, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t help to think that there is more to the relationship with Stephen and Cara. Stephen loved both Astrid and Cara, yet he has a connection wit Cara that is more than the fact that they’re the same species. As sick as it sounds I’m starting to think that they are related. What else could explain this special bond they share? Maybe farfetched but just an idea, that would make it more interesting (though disgusting) than him hooking up with her instead of Astrid. Cara and John fit better.

Comment by Nicegirl – November 26, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not crazy about how the show has progressed. It should have focused on John (which is what the original series did) and the others not Stephen. I don’t need another soapy triangle. Too bad. It had been one of the shows I looked forward to this season.

Comment by Barb – November 19, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up on this after episode 2. I just couldn’t care about the characters.

Comment by woodyinho – November 19, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF, does every show on the CW have to involve a live triangle. This was so completely ridiculous and made me dislike Stephan and Cara. He is way too young for her and she has suddenly turned into a brainless wonder. I am surprised they put so much emphasis on the Stephan character, sure he is good looking but I personally don’t think he has what it takes to carry this show. All around disappointment.

Comment by Dmac – November 19, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well youre right in one way, John is a much better boy for Cara :)
      But I do like the love triangle, its just something that has to be in shows like this. it clompletes it :D

Comment by Songpop Lover – November 20, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whatever, if the writers are good triangles are not needed. This isn’t Twilight and I am sick if shippers and lovesick fandoms l

Comment by Dmac – November 20, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll no to this love triangle. I kind of saw Cara and John as his mentors. The parents who need to teach the kid. Except now kid slept with mommy and it’s just weird and awkward and damned unnecessary!

Comment by Naazneen – November 19, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching this show after the last episode.

Comment by Hodan – November 19, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love some more John scenes and some more romance :D Still like the show its really awesome!!

Comment by Songpop Lover – November 20, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love ‘The Tomorrow People’ please don’t cancel it!!

Comment by Wendy – December 2, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really dislike stephen/cara! he is like such a kid! the more they try to make us hate john,the more i actually love him:) the CW needs to stop with the love triangle. its just so stupid. can we just focus on the storyline? oh but wait?what storyline? :(

Comment by Ayanna – December 6, 2013 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me, or is this series getting more awkward…?!. cara kicking john out of the herd??!! how long does she thing they gonna survive under her brainless stupid f***** leadership??

Comment by leony luiz – February 25, 2014 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post