ABC's Midseason Plan: Revenge Is on the Move, Killer Women Target Tuesday, Suburgatory's Back

ABC Midseason Schedule 2014Revenge will be served a little bit later when the ABC drama returns from its winter hiatus.

Per the midseason schedule released by the Alphabet network, Revenge will return as originally planned — on Sunday, March 9 — but in a later time slot, 10/9c.

Taking Revenge’s place in the 9 o’clock hour is the Omar Epps-fronted freshman drama Resurrection, which bows that night.

As previously reported, Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal are airing split seasons, and thus will have prolonged breaks after airing their winter finales on Dec. 12 and 15. (Nashville, however, will maintain a presence throughout the winter with four episodes airing across January/February.)

Also of note: Suburgatory will premiere Season 3 on Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 8:30 pm, while The Quest, which was to replace Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, is being held for summer. Season 2 of The Taste will instead claim Thursday’s lead-off spot. (Wonderland airs its winter finale Dec. 12, returns in the spring.)

RELATED | ABC’s Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs Get Full-Season Orders, Super Fun Night Extended, Back in the Game to End

All told, ABC’s midseason plan lays out like this:

THURSDAY, JANUARY 2
8 pm The Taste (two hours, every week)
10 pm The Assets [new series]

The Assets is an eight-part limited series based on the real life events of CIA counter-intelligence officer Sandy Grimes (played by Broadchurch’s Jodie Whittaker).

MONDAY, JANUARY 6
8 pm The Bachelor

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7
10 pm Killer Women [new series; click for details]

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15
8:30 pm Suburgatory

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 26
9:30 pm Mixology [new series; click for details]

SUNDAY, MARCH 9
9 pm Resurrection [new series; click for details]
10 pm Revenge

TUESDAY, MARCH 11
10 pm Mind Games [new series; click for details]

1. JB says:

Not sure I like that move for Revenge…doesn’t bode well for its future, IMO. Everything else they have put in that slot the past few years has tanked miserably. Then again, those were new shows without a dedicated fanbase. Hope it works out well!!

• iMember says:

Revenge is on it’s 3rd season, it only needs one more season to reach syndication and it is owned by ABC. It’s 4th season is pretty much a sure thing.

• ggny says:

Since when do Drama get sold into Syndication? Soapnet isnt around anymore Revenge isnt gonna get sold into Syndication

• iMember says:

There’s WE, there’s Lifetime, there are other places besides SoapNet. lol

• TL says:

Clearly you don’t watch SVU marathons on ANY channel, eh?

• johnhelvete says:

In fairness to GGNY, I doubt Revenge does that well in syndication. Lifetime would be a good fit and after that the options are probably a lot less lucrative. I doubt WE, Ion or MyTV pays that much for programming.

• Elizabeth says:

What do you mean Soapnet isn’t around anymore. Pretty sure I’m watching Veronica Mars on that channel right now.

• DenverDean says:

SoapNet has been winding down for a couple of years. It’s scheduled to shut down in a couple of months.

• Kristopher says:

I think there TVLine just had an article about it shutting down in Jan.

• Meg says:

SoapNET was supposed to be gone completely in 2012. Some markets still have SoapNET, the channel will be off the air completely by December 31, 2013. It’s being replaced by a Disney Junior station.

• dude says:

I’m pretty sure Revenge will be renewed for a fourth season at the very least to get it to syndication.

• wingsstef says:

Moving Revenge might be a good idea. I guess it depends on what other people are watching at the 10pm time slot though. Still, I knew about the extended hiatus, but what are they airing in the meantime?

• Bad Samaritan says:

I thought so too. If Revenge isn’t directly against The Walking Dead, they might get some of their old viewers back.
        I’m a little curious about what ABC is airing until March too?

• Theresa says:

I don’t like it either! March why so long?

• Ileana says:

I hate all these mid-season schedules. It used to be a show would start in September and run through May, and that was it. Now we have mid-seasons. We get less episodes, and I’m sure the stars’ salaries are going up, not down.

Also, didn’t Revenge actually already come back several weeks ago, but then disappear again? Do the people in charge realize they are risking a loss of fan base? I, personally, am starting to lose interest. I know the show came back when we discovered the star survived the shot, and we had 2-3 episodes, then they went away again. Why do they do this?

I don’t know if i’ll even bother watching whenever it does come back? And what is this about a change in time? That’s the first sign that things are not going well.

2. Isaac says:

I’m actually excited for Mixology; if it’s done right…

3. JP says:

In my opinion, this is actually good for Revenge. It won’t be going up against The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, both of which are hugely popular cable shows.

• dude says:

I don’t know if either of those shows have huge cross-appeal with Revenge though.

• iMember says:

On the surface it may not seem like it, but they do. I’m someone who enjoys Revenge and The Walking Dead and have interest in starting GoT.

• wrstlgirl says:

I watch all three.

• Bad Samaritan says:

Let me tell you something “dude”, Revenge and The Walking Dead do have huge cross-appeal. I know because I watch both of them! It’s easy for me because I don’t work Mondays, so I can stay up and watch TWD’s encore, but most people don’t have that option. Not being on at the same time means they’ll both get a boost for that first airing.
        As for cross-appeal, consider this: I also watch The Simpsons and Bob’s Burgers! Think about that while I enjoy my Sunday viewing.

4. well I wanted Revenge to move to 10pm but was hoping Wonderland would be moved to Sundays at 9pm starting in March just the boost up the ratings… oh well :/

5. iMember says:

Good luck, Ressurection! Sundays @ 9 is such a tough time slot. There is just too much going on then. I’m totally okay with Revenge moving. This season has been on fire lately and I think it might just fix ABC’s Sunday @ 10 problem since it has a steady fanbase. Plus, it used to air at 10PM anyway, just on Wednedays.

• majamababe says:

Am watching the original French series, The Returned, on Sundance Channel that this is based on. Great premise and good show. Unfortunately, this will be up against The Walking Dead, so don’t know how it will fare.

• johnhelvete says:

Les Revenants (The Returned) is a great series, my personal favorite from this year. It might get a US remake on A&E. Resurrection it based on a book by Jason Mott that has a similar premise.

6. Susie says:

We have missed Suburgatory – really looking forward to having it back!

7. George says:

I read on another site this morning that “Revenge” was going to air 3 episodes in January and then go back on hiatus until March. Is this still the case (or was this EVER really the case)?

8. nancy says:

Why do we need a mid season break anyway???

9. Zorkel says:

So do we have any idea when Wonderland returns?

10. Ray says:

Matt, will you be preparing a handy dandy midseason TV grid like you did for fall?

11. ScorpionGlow says:

That’s a seriously long break for Revenge. Putting it opposite The Mentalist when it returns is going to be challenging. Thank God for the DVR!!

12. Pia says:

Suber excited for Suburgatory! (See what I did there.) Is Revenge on hiatus already? I’m a few weeks behind and noticed there were no episodes scheduled to record.

• iMember says:

Revenge is not on hiatus, but it will be airing its last two episodes of the [fall] season in three weeks (Dec. 8th). CATCH UP THOUGH BECAUSE IT IS GOOOOOOOOD!!

13. Apres Ski says:

This puts Revenge opposite The Mentalist on Sunday nights! I don’t have cable because it’s too expen$$$$$ive. I might have to buy a DVR or put it on my Online Watch List.

14. Bobby says:

I’m not complaining about getting more episodes of Trophy Wife, but why renew it for a full season and then leave it in a spot where it’s doing badly? I don’t get it.

15. Drew says:

And word on when Agents of SHIELD will be going on and coming back from hiatus? Everything I can find only goes up to December 10 and I’ve been curious to see what the plan is, since the show is still in a delicate situation ratings-wise.

• Tamim says:

Im also curious about S.H.E.I.L.D. I find myself in the “I want to believe” category. I think it’s currently okay, but with so many other things to watch I am afraid that eventually I will find myself putting off watching episodes until much later. I need that show to pick up the energy and really threaten the characters. I hope it safely goes all year, but I also hope it finds its legs and start to run soon… And I hope they don’t let it get moldy during the Olympics, though that might be a good time for reruns.

• Drew says:

I’ve pretty much given up on the show itself. I watch, but I’ve never really liked it. I am interested in how it performs though, just out of curiosity. I think that if ABC pulls the series for too long, it will come back with a huge loss of viewers (not unlike V). It hasn’t stabilized in the ratings yet, so I think it might actually be smarter to let it air during the Olympics and lose some viewers than to just take it off and allow people to forget that it ever existed.

I was comparing the overall look of Almost Human to SHIELD the other day and it’s strange that while SHIELD is set in the present day, with much more familiar surroundings, it had an oddly fake, plastic feel to it. Y’know, like when you watch an old 1980’s action series and you can tell that it’s obviously being shot on a studio lot, with really unnatural stunts and too-perfect lighting? I think SHIELD needs more atmosphere (not its only problem, but the one I’m commenting on now for the heck of it)

• Lisa London says:

I agree with you on all of this.

• Tamim says:

You know, I’m glad you mentioned the fake 80s feel. I have been trying to describe the impression I have been getting from the show and I think that’s it. The dialogue also goes fairly slow I think compared to a lot of other shows, so sometimes it seems like the show “knows” that i won’t be able to keep up, so it goes slower for me – meanwhile we have shows like Scandal where things will turn on a dime (or even a penny) and it’s your job to keep up, which you totally can because the show draws you in and doesn’t really let go.

16. ana teresa fernandes says:

One ABSURD, Revenge only one season in Brasil!!!! I wish look all the serie and ABC ONLY SELL ONE SEASON.! Dont is all brazilians can see Sony.One ABSURD THIS ESTORY!!

17. Jacqi says:

What about Betrayal?

• carlycane says:

I don’t think Betrayal is coming back. I mean, they may finish their episode run around January/Febraruy before Revenge is coming back March 9th, but other than that, I don’t know.

• wrstlgirl says:

The end of Sunday’s episode could stand as the end of the series IMO. Don’t want to elaborate in case someone hasn’t seen it.

18. Ram510 says:

Suburgatory does not deserve to be back on Wednesdays it should be The Goldbergs or Last Man Standing in that spot.
    And is ABC really going to bother airing the rest of Wonderland in the spring? Nobody’s watching! That show should’ve been pulled off the air weeks ago! Something tells me they aren’t going to air it in the spring and no one will miss it anyways

19. Hate that move just because I won’t be able to watch it live anymore. :(

20. Tamara says:

Someone spell it out for me: how worried do I need to be that Revenge might not come back for a fourth season? The renewal score card says too soon to tell, which is terrifying. Last year Go On was a safe bet and ended up cancelled so I’m wary. I’m enjoying this season so much and don’t want to get too attached to the idea of another year of it if it’s not likely.

21. webly3 says:

now I’ll be able to watch Revenge live! The moves they made are smart and I honestly predicted all of it mostly correct besides the Revenge move. However, I did not realize that Mixology was a comedy airing in Trophy Wife’s slot. I will be sad once Trophy Wife’s brilliance leaves television too soon. :( Netflix should pick it up or something!

22. GuessWhat says:

interesting. i do NOT and will NOT watch any of these shows listed.
    so this has ZERO impact on my life.
    carry on!

23. Et al says:

Anyone who believes the back half of Wonderland will actually air, lives in wonderland.

I hope this move helps Revenge. I could see it going either way…

24. Citizen of the Internet says:

What’s the deal with “Killer Women” and “Mind Games” sharing the same time slot only two months apart? Does the former have a ridiculously short season, move, or is my math wrong?

25. Apples says:

ABC clearly thinks both KW and MG unlikely to make any impact then…

26. anonymous says:

Resurrection is gonna majorly crash and burn just watch
    then ABC will put Revenge back where it belongs

27. stang119 says:

Hey, here’s a radical thought. Instead of having shows on a long hiatus why not just have 2 shows alternate weeks? Imagine 44 weeks of new episodes without months of losing interest. Well, actually this is not so radical. Shows in the ’50s did it. Jack Benny Show, for example, ceded every other week to other shows and those became hits on their own.

28. Joe Petitjean says:

Killer Women is a 6 week limited series

29. wrstlgirl says:

People give me whiplash. For weeks all I’ve heard is people complaining that ABC was killing Revenge and needed to move it to a different time slot and now that they have people are complaining that it’s a bad move *head desk*

30. PFitzDC says:

NOT a good sign for Nashville fans. A split season would be so much preferable to 4 episodes scattered across 8 weeks…. I think Season 3 optimism just fell….what a shame, because I think show is getting better…

• wrstlgirl says:

Agreed, I kinda spied that as a bad sign too. The show has a hard time keeping momentum as it is. Just when I start to really get into what’s going on it’s preempted for a week or two.

31. Jared says:

The fact that ABC owns Revenge and is already in its 3rd season pretty much guarantees a 4th. Syndication plays a major factor. Even if Revenge loses a couple tenths of a ratings point ABC could still use this series as spackle for next season. Fans shouldn’t worry at all.

32. Matt C. says:

Since Revenge’s midseason finale will be its 10th episode, does that mean it’ll only return with 10 episodes starting March 9? Or will there be 12 to make it a full 22 episode season?

33. Gail says:

So when do Once Upon a Time and Grey’s return?

34. Gail says:

How come in the 1970’s shows could run straight through without interruption except for Christmas week and an occasional special and end their seasons in February or March,
    Now we get reruns or the show disappears for over 2 months in the dead of winter when people are home because it is dark early and cold in most of the country.

• stang119 says:

Because of the bull$#*! May Sweeps. Eliminate the sweeps!!! Have good programming all year!

• N tTVf says:

Yep, this is true. I was pretty young to remember the scheduling back in the 1970’s, but it is true – I did some research. Many shows in the 60’s and 70’s wrapped up around March. I read an article on the Internet a while back, that had the ‘big-3′ networks during the 1965-’66 season already deciding what their fall ’66 schedule would look like in March ’65. Pilots were pushed through very quickly to make those March decision deadlines. The May sweeps (added to the Feb and Nov sweeps) changed much of that.

Also, shows used to film up to 39 episodes per season – check out some of the older 50s and 60s shows like Bewitched and Beverly Hillbillies- they really worked hard and had long seasons. I recall some series then going down to around 32, and then 26 episodes per season, and now most are at/around 22. That can make the difference between rolling through Dec/Jan with new shows, and having a ‘hiatus’ to try to ‘limp’ up to mid May.

That said, I like having shows reach May with new episodes, making the tv-season a full September to May affair. I enjoy the long haul, mirroring the old school year and summer-break. Remember, back in the ‘old day’s, the networks had plenty of top-notch summer-season series rolling each year, so great variety series and other shows would run from April/May right up to September. Costs (and declining ratings and the growth of cable tv) have made that programming practice very hard to do in our current television landscape.

• stang119 says:

I still think that 2 shows alternating weeks is a good solution. No long breaks and new programming all the way through. And no losing interest and no repeats.

35. Susan Honig says:

What happened to sing your face off that was already filmed and suppose to air in jan ?

36. Chablis says:

Matt how annoying is to keep telling people to read your copy so they don’t have to keep asking the same question? Oops that was a question :-)

37. A says:

I would have liked to see Once in Wonderland move after Once Upon a Time and Revenge move to Wednesdays after Revolution. Keep happy ending with happy endings and questionable morals with questionable morals.

38. Great now I have nothing to watch @ 8 and 2 things on @ 9 when I watch The Mentalist and so now I’ll have to wait and stream Revenge the next day. I liked it where it was

39. Ava says:

I will follow Revenge to the new time slot. It is fabulous this year. I am surprised they didn’t move Nashville to the Sunday at 10E/9C slot.

40. abz says:

Okay I’m really starting to think this whole split season thing may just be a lie. A three week break till the next Revenge? Why?

41. mc says:

I guess I’m the only one with high hopes for Resurrection. But there’s also a weird dynamic between OUAT + Revenge. I can’t put my finger on it but I see them as a pair. I dunno.
    But hey, if it works for Revenge, perhaps Emily Vancamp owns the hour. Isn’t it the same hour Brothers and Sisters also used to air?

42. Cassie says:

Great move~ Now all us Good Wife fans can watch both shows. 9 pm on Sunday nights is where the networks put all the good shows. Madmen is on at 9pm – so are all the Sunday night HBO shows… This will give it a fighting chance.. Why they didn’t keep it on Wednesdays where there is absolutely nothing else on – I guess we will never know.

43. Lauren says:

So if Revenge is moving to 10pm slot, what does that mean for Bretrayal????? :/

44. sarah says:

What is the reason that ABC is giving for this? I am not sure how well it will work for split seasons! What date is Grey’s back? 3 months or so without it is silly!

45. ana teresa fernandes says:

then this Revenge to go in March/2014.God me to deliver.! I that dont stay hoping for know The end this estory. .ABC THAT HAVE RESPECT for TELEVIEWER!!!

46. Any thoughts on the new twist and turns on “Scandal”? I can’t wait for Thursday’s to come,
    so I review last week’s episode on BET on Wed. at 6PM. – just to refresh my memory.

47. Brian says:

What happened to “Undateable”??

• N tTVf says:

NBC series – I don’t believe NBC has made their full spring announcements yet, but I’m assuming they’ll need to before the holiday break. NBC has ‘Believe’ and ‘Crisis’ already slotted into the Sunday night grid as NFL football wraps up in January. Community has also been given their return slot on Thursdays for January (?). However, the others – ‘Undateable’, ‘About a Boy’, ‘Family Guide/Fischer’, ‘Night Shift’, thus far, no word. Chicago PD? Not sure about that one either.

48. Absurdist says:

And here’s the ugly:

Scandal’s pregnancy-shortened order makes things a bit weird come May sweeps…

49. bob says:

Kids watch revenge too puting it at 10 wont be good because then the kides will stop watching it youll lose a lot of watchers and it wont be good

50. Joann says:

Killer Women was a smart/sensitive show. The story line mixing professional and family dynamics was interesting and left me waiting for the next episode. In addition, the cast mixed well with the characters they portrayed. Canceling in the middle of a good story line is disheartening, disrespectful to its viewers and disrespectful to the cast and crew who have worked hard.

After a long day, it is nice to sit down and watch a show that allows you to not think and just enjoy the characters, story line and action.

Please bring the show back.

Thank you!

• Joann says:

One more comment… to introduce a new show in the middle of the Olympics was not fair. Most of the TV stations were running re-runs.