The CW Changes Plan for The Flash Pilot -- Plus: 7 Photos from Barry Allen's Arrow Debut

The CW is tweaking its plan for The Flash, by giving the Scarlet Speedster a formal standalone pilot versus a planted pilot toward the end of Arrow Season 2.

RELATED | Arrow Meets The Flash: Burning Questions Answered

The plan to introduce Barry Allen — an assistant forensics investigator working for the Central City police department — via the sophomore drama Arrow remains unchanged. As seen in the photos below, the character (played by Glee’s Grant Gustin) will debut in Episode 8, “The Scientist” (investigating a seemingly impossible robbery at Queen Consolidated’s Applied Sciences Division) and also appear in Episode 9, “Three Ghosts.”

UPDATED: Once again, with feeling: These scenes below are set at Queen Consolidated’s Applied Sciences lab.

But whereas this season’s Episode 20 was to be a Flash-heavy [insert iPad joke] look at the costumed crimefighter, our sister site Deadline reports that The CW instead will forego that third Arrow appearance and shoot a standalone, David Nutter-directed pilot co-written by DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and Arrow EPs Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti.

1. brycealexander says:

I really cannot stand that actor. I did not like him on Glee. I do not find him attractive. And I don’t think he has the right build.

2. He looks more like Kid Flash than Flash.

3. kreshb says:

So are they going to make a spin off?

4. Nicole says:

Looks good so far. Excited to see him in action.

5. mac says:

So the Flash is a 12 year old kid ? Sure goin’ to be a great spin-off…

• Josh says:

Ha, I said 16 below but he looks CRAZY young. He barely looks 21….I don’t get the CW. The guy playing Green Arrow isn’t out of Teen Beat, so why this?

And given that he was known for being a bad actor on Glee, we know his acting ability has nothing to do with it. I mean, for people to point you out on being the bad actor on Glee means you’ve got to be PRETTY bad.

6. Lore says:

Wait, this means officer Lance knows the secret? that Olliver is the Arrow?

7. MDS says:

Not sure about this, the casting isn’t entirely right in my opinion

8. dude says:

I wasn’t fond of Grant on Glee at first but after seeing him in that Lifetime movie with Jessica Lowndes, he really won me over. He’s capable of being incredibly likable and charming so I’m confident he’ll do well as The Flash.

9. Freddie says:

Well, if there ever was doubt that Lance knows Oliver is The Arrow, those pictures remove for me. (I’m behind on épisodes, so if it’s been confirmed that Lance knows, mea culpa!)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, the above scenes take place at Queen Consolidated’s Applied Sciences Division, not the Arrowcave; edited for clarity.

• Freddie says:

Okay, fine! LOL

Care to explain why Oliver Queen needs his “black driver” and “administrative assistant” there then?

(I’m just teasing. I’m sure they’ll come up with a pseudo-reason. This is getting to be shades of Season 1 with Dig and Oliver finding lame reasons Felicity needed to look up stuff for them.)

• Mary says:

I thought those scenes were funny, because Felicity clearly didn’t believe them. If Felicity had fell for all those lame lies then I would have groaned every time.

• crest says:

Yes I thought the last season of Oliver lying to Felicity to use her expertise to do something for him were so funny and understandable, I wouldnt have minded if it had last all season long before they brought Felicity into the team. Comical opportunities wasted imo they could have waited until this season for Felicity to know the secret and join the team, it was too early and they wasted good opportunities for some comical scenes

However this season Im finding the reasons why these three have to be in scenes together so forced and weak

• Ronnie says:

Anyway, I think he does know! (even if he doesn’t want to let them know that he knows :P). I mean, in a recent episode (Broken Dolls I think), when he asks The Arrow for help, both Felicity and Diggle were there (and unless i’m mistaken Quentin saw Diggle there), so he shouldn`t have much trouble connecting the dots on who the arrow is, since he knows Diggle is Oliver’s bodyguard and that Felicity now works for him as assistant. And in case he hasn’t do the math yet, he should after seeing the 3 of them together in this ep.

10. Drew says:

He does look rather young for the Flash, but I’m willing to withhold judgement until I see his episodes.

But I do have a hard time believing that the CW will pick up both an Arrow spinoff and a Supernatural spinoff. I’m eager to see what Supernatural has planned (I always thought that a spinoff which takes place in the past would be cool. Or a series which follows different hunters and tells their stories)

• Fred says:

Well by looks of how Beauty And The Beast is doing, and The Carrie Diaries has been canceled and that this is Nikitas final season, there is a shot that they will pick both up (if there does not come in some other sissy CW show tho.)

11. Barb says:

Time to re-watch The Flash with John Wesley Shipp. Tired of the de-aging to bring in younger viewers. This proposed pilot is more kid flash.

12. Maki says:

he looks a lot like Tommy , I mean about 10 years younger. Seems like he intergrates well into the group.

13. cinthy says:

i hope he has something with felicity, give the girl something (so oliver gets jelous :P )

14. Annemijk says:

Isnt the actor in his twenties? Seems like the American audience is so used to twenty something (or even thirty somethings) playing teenagers that they get confused when they get a part playing their real age. Since the character is a trainee twenty something seems like the right age.

15. Will says:

Phew so glad this won’t consume an episode of Arrow.. I hate backdoor pilot episodes they’re so blatant and mess up the flow of the series (especially when viewed again in syndication or on DVD)

Hopefully Flash can take Roy with him when he leaves…..

16. Dimitri says:

Everyone comlpaining about this kid as the flash i think he deserve a chance, i know he looks young and skinny that’s the point his character is like spiderman young and skinny and funny i trust that they cast him for a reason

17. Dewsterling says:

They do realise that these photos spoil that Lance knows Oliver’s identity as Arrow, right? Merde. The publicity for this show and the decisions made by the producers are cringeworthy.

• Sam says:

except that scene is obviously at Queen Consolidated. get some glasses.

• brb123 says:

A) please read this episode description. It speficially says the cops and Allen are there because of a robbery at Queen Consolidated.

B) The publicity and decisions made by this show are awesome, thus bringing its ratings to its highest peak since episode 1.07 last week(!)

C) Do you really think Quentin doesn’t know Oliver’s secret? He’s not dumb you know. But do you really expect him to open up to the man he used to hate? It’s hard enough for both of them to acknowledge each other as it is so they both prefer to keep their status quo.

• Redk says:

Exactly, I for one Im tired of seeing all male superheroes with unrealistic and steroid lite physiques. I think kids too need to look up to superheroes like spiderman, who look just like the average guy on the street. I welcome this casting, i think he looks the part of a scientist geek guy and a superhero hero thats supposed to run very fast.

Those who want to see your typical hypermuscled superhero you have Arrow, some of us want something for a change and would like to see some brains and legs saving the day.

18. Josh says:

Why does that 16 year old boy have a badge?

19. @heather_kaye says:

So he’s definitely happening with Felicity, right? Two young tech people, she’s ready to get some revenge on Ollie…

20. Aleana says:

Seriously can we get a TV SHOW SUPERHERO WHO A WOMAN

• Lauren says:

Seconded.

• brb123 says:

Maybe they’ll do a Black Canary spin-off with Sara later if The Flash succeeds.

• Jon says:

They have the material on Arrow to do another take on “Birds of Prey” if they like, If Dracula doesn’t last on NBC and Jessica De Gouw becomes avalible to reprise The Huntress (and the character gets some serious therapy) joined by Caity Lotz’s Canary and then have Felcity step into the Oracle role.

• KCC says:

Will people watch? Charlies Angels and Bionic Woman failed. Nikita does so-so on the ratings. Is there a business case to do a female super hero tv series?

• Bren says:

Black Canary is part of Green Arrow world and supporting cast, there is too much that will overlap better thats its pointless to do two shows.

If they want a female led superhero show, they should be working on Amazon or they can give Huntress her own spin off. I think there is so much they could do with her.

Cw is looking to pick up Izombie, a Dc property though not a comic superhero , it has a female hero and lead sounds interesting seems like a cross between ghost whisperer and Tru Calling.

21. Rizty says:

I had no idea an infant could join the force:(

22. I absolutely love The Flash/Barry Allen, so I am SUPER EXCITED they are introducing the character. I’m glad they’re doing a stand alone pilot versus a backdoor too! I can’t wait to see his dynamic with Oliver, and for Felicity to get to flirt a little. :)

23. Ms Thing says:

I always liked Grant. Excited!

24. Ray says:

But where is his Warbler blazer?

25. Jared says:

I’ve never been a big fan of planted pilots so im glad it’s getting a traditional pilot from the CW instead. Either way LOVE Arrow, LOVE Grant and most likely will be watching Flash when it debuts next Fall.

26. Ram510 says:

They need to recast this mess ASAP

27. Neethi says:

I’m not sure about going ahead with Flash (all the best to the show though) but Arrow has been freakin’ amazing this season. And I freak literally! Looking forward to Barry Allen at least in his episodes on Arrow :)

28. felicity says:

I hope Oliver gets jelous of barry and Felicity

29. Janeen says:

Not to overly nitpick here but: Barry Allen (being one of my favourite characters in the DC universe) should be older, slightly broader (he is definitely not hiding a strong but lean build under there, he’s just uber skinny), blond hair and blue eyes. It’s like they weren’t even TRYING to cast someone similar to the character. Plus, despite how I enjoy Glee at times, he was a terrible actor. Oh DC I can just taste the betrayal…

30. Arrow has a dark tone, very understated. I hope this new DC show is a bit flashier.

31. dean says:

flash 2013 from what I saw he would make a good flash, its not about what you think should be, its about seeing this TV show from a different aspect so give its chance

32. fan of comics says:

Yay flash, Barry Allan OK, waiting for green lantern too!!

Then batman and superman in season 11 of green arrow!!!

Yay!

GL can come season 4-5 onwards.

I wonder if Barry will tell olly about his superpowers, then make him feell inferior , ’cause olly is only human.

33. Mytwocents says:

Mytwocents:
    1. Think of the Flash intro as another step to a Justice League movie, suggesting that the next ‘new’ character somewhere has to be Wonder Woman, since The Bat and Superman are already current in the public eye through movies.
    2. Ah-uh, I’m going to hold back on obviously who the ‘blur’ is that saved Barry’s lif the night his mother died: just noting the sideways reference to a different emerging hero in Smallville called ‘The Blur,’ and also pointing out a need to know what Barry Allen’s father (or mother) did for a profession.