Blue Bloods Scoop: Tom Cavanagh Cops Role, All My Children Alum to Play His Wife

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Blue Bloods Tom CavanaghFresh off visiting The GoldbergsTom Cavanagh will next surface on CBS’ Blue Bloods.

TVLine has learned TV’s erstwhile Ed will guest-star on the family drama/procedural as Mickey, a longtime pal of Danny’s who comes into town harboring ties to a crime family.

RELATED | Friday Ratings: Blue Bloods Draws Second-Largest Audience of the Season

Meanwhile, All My Children alum Rebecca Budig has been tapped to play Mickey’s wife Connie, a lovely woman who has moved back East with her family, ostensibly to be near her ailing parents.

Since bidding Stuckeyville adieu, Cavanagh has recurred on such shows as Royal Pains, Eli Stone and Scrubs (playing bro to Zach Braff) and co-headlined the TNT drama Trust Me.

Budig played AMC‘s Greenlee on and off for more than a decade. Her other TV work includes appearances on Castle and CSI.

Cavanagh and Budigs’ Blue Bloods episode is scheduled to air Friday, Dec. 20 at 10/9c.

Want more scoop on Blue Bloods, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (14)

• I’m still waiting for ED to be released on DVD. I’m getting a bit impatient.

Comment by Steven – November 18, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol. That is the first and only thing I think about when I see tom’s name.

Comment by Rebecca – November 18, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I found it (less than legally) on a Web site a few years ago. It’s better than nothing, but I still want the real deal. I’ve followed his career since Ed, too, so I might have to check him out on Blue Bloods, even though I’ve never seen it.

Comment by Lindsey – November 18, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this news, but someone needs to give Tom Cavanagh his own show again STAT. And dangit, now I need to rewatch Ed. I miss that show!

Comment by TVIsMyPacifier.com (@tvismypacifier) – November 18, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He had a very short lived show called Love Monkey. That’s when I became a fan. Couldn’t get into Ed.

Comment by tp – November 18, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I became a fan through watching him on Scrubs reruns as a pre-teen. A few years later I discovered his podcast, Mike and Tom Eat Snacks where he and his Ed costar Michael Ian Black review various snacks. I’ve been a loyal follower of his ever since. Funny guy. I might tune in for his guest appearance.

Comment by Eric – November 18, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be tuning in just for Rebecca Budig! I absolutely loved her on AMC and am so excited to see her on another show. Great news!

Comment by Becca – November 18, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo. I watch the show anyway but I love that both are going to be on.

Comment by Jennifer – November 18, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t Ed available on DVD??? Love Tom Cavanaugh

Comment by lizz – November 18, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will he be back on The Goldbergs?

Comment by D'oh – November 18, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ed and Greenlee!

Comment by Leah – November 19, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never watched blue bloods but might watch this episode, if i can remember.

Comment by leahbh – November 19, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay!!!!!! love tom loved ed.

Comment by barbara – November 24, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Monkey was the best show! and he was great in the Trading Christmases Christmas movie. What can I say, I’m a sucker for sappy Christmas movies. Glad to see him on BB. Looking forward to it. The Goldbergs is a fantastic show – hope it sticks around.

Comment by Mary Beth – November 26, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post