Almost Human: Is Its Future Bright or Bleak?

Almost Human Series Premiere RecapFox’s Almost Human made its debut Sunday at 8/7c, bringing viewers into a dark Los Angeles of the near future and introducing us to an unlikely pair of cops.

Now that you’ve seen the first night of the series’ two-part premiere, will you partner up with the futuristic buddy-cop drama?

VIDEO | Almost Human Cast, EPs Detail a Lesson in Human Nature, Courtesy of Androids

Before you answer, a brief recap: The J.J. Abrams/J.H. Wyman-helmed series opens on Los Angeles Police Det. John Kennex (Star Trek‘s Karl Urban) in a firefight with a gang of bad guys who end up killing one of his fellow officers and blowing off Kennex’s leg. It then cuts to a glowing close-up of Kennex’s lovely ex-girlfriend holding him near. As we soon learn, the traumatized amputee is undergoing a dangerous form of regression therapy in an effort to recall the event that put him into a coma for 17 months.

Kennex spends his days popping pills, fixating on his missing love and cursing his new, tempermental robotic leg. A call from his boss, Chief Maldonado (played by Six Feet Under‘s Lili Taylor) brings him back to the station: A crime organization called The Syndicate is wreaking havoc in the city.

The detective returns to work alongside colleagues both human — like Richard Paul (Michael Irby, The Unit) and Valerie Stahl (Minka Kelly, Friday Night Lights) — and android. Given the skyrocketing crime rate, each flesh-and-blood officer has been paired with a MX-43 combat-model android for protection and backup.

RELATEDAlmost Human EPs J.J. Abrams, J.H. Wyman and Cast Preview Fox’s Futuristic New Drama

Kennex loathes his humorless new “synthetic,” and wastes no time getting rid of him (in rather violent fashion). So Maldonado partners him with Dorian, a decommissioned model android (played by Common Law‘s Michael Ealy).

“Wait a minute, that’s one of the crazy ones,” Kennex complains to the department’s robot wrangler Rudy (Mackenzie Crook, Game of Thrones). Rudy corrects him: The DRN series, of which Dorian is a member, was taken out of the workforce because of some “bugs” regarding emotional regulation.

RELATEDAlmost Human Taps John Larroquette for Recurring Role

Those issues make Dorian much more human-like than his MX-43 counterparts, a situation that Kennex doesn’t appreciate… at first. But as the pair investigate a robbery/kidnapping/terrorism plot exacted by The Syndicate, and when Dorian saves Kennex’s life during another bad memory trip, the android’s bugs — including his ability to intuit — are what eventually help save the day.

Now that Almost Human has established its characters and its slick, tech-filled world, we’re looking forward to seeing Dorian and Kennex’s work relationship — and dare we suggest friendship? — evolve. And what the heck is the deal with Kennex’s missing ex?

Enough about what we thought. It’s your turn. Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice.

1. Tran 2.0 says:

I give Almost Human an A. One of the best new shows of the season and it does have potential. I looked at this series as part RoboCop part Blade Runner with a mix of buddy cop movies like Lethal Weapon and a few others and this is the real reason why Almost Human is pure entertainment at its finest. Can’t wait for tomorrow night’s episode. :-)

• my friend’s sister makes $64 every hour on the internet. She has been without a job for 9 months but last month her income was $15256 just working on the internet for a few hours. his comment is here========>>> J­O­B­S­2­5.C­OM

• ajintexas says:

I really liked it. It has a little Robocop with the leg thing, but a LOT of Blade Runner in it. Of course since it is sci-fi and I really like it, it will get middling ratings lol. Will definitely be returning.

2. Kristi says:

Am I the only one who thinks of Kleenex every time I see Kennex? :)

Great Premiere!

3. wrstlgirl says:

That was incredibly good. I’m in :-)

4. Kim Maxwell says:

Didn’t watch live – I don’t have a good feeling about it lasting. Waiting to hear good news on it first.

• i think you’re gonna hear good news
      i loved it

• Ali says:

Me too. After the whole cancellation of Firefly, I don’t trust Fox and won’t commit until it goes one full season. I’ll DVR all episodes and store them and then possibly watch next year. If it gets canned, I delete the whole mess. “If” it becomes popular after it’s death, then I can buy the DVD’s.

I really think there has to be a major change in the television industry as the current method doesn’t work well and isn’t fiscally sound. Or, once a TV pilot is picked up, it should be contractually guaranteed to run two full seasons. Then, and only then can it be cancelled.

There is so much crap on the air, my idea wouldn’t really change anything. If a crappy show gets two years, who cares. Some percentage will succeed.

• madhatter360 says:

The problem is that if everyone works the way you do, only watching once they know it’s been picked up, then nothing will ever get picked up.

• mainecane says:

thing is they did good by fringe despite so so ratings. i think fans today are much more into genre stuff too. Look at all the marvel movie success.

• Firefly was cancelled by Gail Berman. She doesn’t even work for FOX anymore. Terminator: TSCC had awful ratings, I really can’t blame FOX for axing it. Fringe was excellent, and FOX gave it a 100 episode run.

• Hana says:

GOD!!! Thank you. When are the Firefly groupies going to stop living in the past? The people who cancelled Firefly are GONE from Fox. Kevin Reilly has shown a great commitment to sci-fi on Fox. As a Fringe fan who respects Fox for their support of Fringe, I would be really pleased if Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow – two shows with Fringe lineage – were breakout hits for them.

• Ann says:

I watched last night. The way I think of it is…it’s better to watch a good show and feel the heartache of an early cancellation than to never have watched the show at all. But saying this…the thing I fear most about this show is that it looks expensive. For the high production value that this show has….it really needs to have good ratings and high ratings for the key demographics to remain on the air, which scares me because this show probably only targets a small niche of tv watchers.

5. D says:

Excellent. Everything was well done – writing, acting, musical score and cinematography. Loved the storyline and the many secrets and back story mysteries. The chemistry between Kennex and Dorian is wonderful. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy bring depth and passion to their characters. I’m hooked. Can’t wait until tomorrow.

6. Joe says:

They should have named them Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.

7. It was as wonderful as I hoped it would be! I’m so glad, and can’t wait to see more!

8. sandy says:

Really good first episode….

9. my friend’s sister makes $64 every hour on the internet. She has been without a job for 9 months but last month her income was $15256 just working on the internet for a few hours. his comment is here========>>> J­O­B­S­2­5.C­OM

10. Matthew says:

One of the best pilot episodes ive seen in a while. The pacing was good, the fact they didnt explain everything/mostly anything was even better. Let the audience work it out! Thanks. Im also worried with it being on Fox but I really did enjoy it.

11. Kidwynn says:

Loved the pilot episode of Almost Human and gave it an A.

12. James D says:

I absolutely loved it. Has a very Blade Runner feel to it, with Wyman and Abrams twist, what can be better than that. I’ve been missing Fringe like crazy, this so far looks like it will fill that void. I’ll take the next five episodes right now thank you.

• rubix says:

The Canadian produced “Continuum” was a fantastic replacement for Fringe in my opinion. It airs on scifi in the US. The first 2 seasons were excellent and I would rate it higher than any other scifi drama the US has going right now..

• Lisa London says:

Hum… First season was ok but I lost interest early on in the second one. It was convoluted at times for no good reason and generally poorly acted and scripted. Not on par with Fringe, for sure.

• Hana says:

Nothing can ever replace Fringe. Sorry, but it’s true. That show was one of a kind. I still want it to come back some day!

• CBWBDK1 says:

I like Continuum, but to call it a fantastic replacement for Fringe is a little too much .

13. Shane Saylor says:

It was good. But personally, I want the former love interest to be a bad guy. To have as an undercover agent or a double agent would be lame, imo.

14. Jewels says:

For as much promotion as Fox did for this show…I almost expected the premiere to be lackluster. I love Michael Ealy and was ecstatic to see him back on a series. I have to admnit that this was a solid hour and it leaves me wondering and invested in the characters which…is no easy feat for a premiere. Looking forward to the next epi!

15. Ray says:

Is this another cop procedural? If so I have no interest.

16. Sarah says:

A very good start to a show I had hoped would be wonderful. I’m sticking around for sure with great enthusiasm. It can only get better from here. Definitely a mashup of Fringe, Blade Runner and any buddy cop action movie under the sun. The visuals were stunning, the score was unique, I’m digging all the characters so far and can’t wait to learn more about everything.

• meresger says:

I liked it. A good mash-up of various sci-fi genre shows and movies. But as a cop show, it kind of falls into a weird gray area between serial and procedural, so I wonder how that will do, particularly when, as others have noted, Fox has scrapped several hyped sci-fi/fantasy shows over the past few years. Fringe was the only one that did well, though it was also a niche series.

On the Fringe front, is it just me or was the apartment/hallway from the trip-wire scene the same building used in Fringe’s pocket universe?

17. Tahoe Mike says:

What idiot put it up against the KC/Denver game tonight, and MNF tomorrow?? Did they think anybody would watch it?

18. M3rc Nate says:

Loved it. I will say i dont think the bad guys/syndicate mystery stuff has me yet..its no Fringe in the “who are the bad guys?! Who are the observers?! WHATS GOING ON!??!?!!?!” department. But idk might be a good thing ratings wise for that to be the case (that its fairly simple so far). So far it seems whats best about it is the chemistry of the two partners, and the Fringey style it has. The sci-fi effects and world etc.
    I give it a A though. My only other issue, basically 80-100% of the great lines and scenes were shown in the promos/trailers. I hate that. I get that they are trying to pull as many people in as possible so i cut it slack, but i basically knew the entire episode from the multiple promos.

19. Tran 2.0 says:

BTW, big thanks to The Crystal Method for composing the series’ music.

20. TK says:

I really liked it. It made me think of irobot. You know that Will Smith movie.

21. holly says:

I’ve been waiting for a good sci-fi series. The production looks good and Karl Urban’s in it. What else is there to say? I’m on board for the series!!!

22. Bark Star says:

So / So.

Not very clever, not very original. Re-hashed ideas and re-used plot elements. This one is carried by Urban and Ealy who go a long way towards making it more interesting.

The less that idiot Abrams has to do with it, the better it will probably get.

• OohRah Mama says:

@Bark Star: Can you elaborate on your post? Plot ideas are universally reused; it’s in the re-formulation and in the redevelopment & character creations by the actors that those things can have life and depth and interest. Could you add anything that might help us understand why you dislike Abrams’ work other than that one-word insult of his intellect? I’d like to hear why you have this viewpoint.

23. justsaying says:

Good epi, I’ll continue as long as they have me.

24. Did anyone else keep scanning the background for Observers?

25. Dan says:

Their best asset is the chemistry between Urban and Ealy. They make a very believable duo.

26. Jenna says:

I wasn’t wow’ed, but I definitely enjoyed it. I liked the chemistry of the cast, especially the two leads, and Lili Taylor (yay!). Excited to learn more backstory, and has lots of potential. I think this one’s a keeper, for sure. Monday nites are must see tv for me thanks to FOX’s AH and SH.

27. OohRah Mama says:

I was interested in seeeing what the premiere would have to offer. I’m very impressed. Strong actors developing characters who are eminently interesting combine with good story foundation & wonderful effects. This has the makings of a successful series. You’ve put this much into it, Fox – don’t jackhammer it and take it away.

28. Rob says:

Yes it’s not particularly original, but I’d like to see it succeed. Problem is, Fox has a horrible history with genre shows. I don’t want to get invested in a show only to find out that it’s fallen to the Fox axe again. Shows like, John Doe, Millennium, Brisco County, Terminator, Brimstone, Roar, Angel, and yes, Firefly. Anyway…I’ll probably give it a shot anyway, without holding any hope that Fox will renew it or support it beyond the first 11 or 12 episodes.

29. Rusty says:

I too was looking forward to this show and was not disappointed. Great choice of a cast. I like that they brought in the actor from Dexter that was such a jerk. A good actor who is getting type cast as a snarky cop unfortunately. Not too laden with gee whizz toys or special effects. The lead actor is a great choice for this character. He is the only cast member from Star Trek (ST) that hits his (ST) character right on target. I am not too fond of JJ Abahms either. He has a tendency to over re-imagining things. If he stays in the back ground and doesn’t get heavy handed in the production, I can see this show lasting a few more seasons. It is a very good replacement for the Bones time slot.
    Just thought of something funny, “Bones” was replaced by a series that has a character that is named “Bones” in another show. Hmmm, me thinks it’s a plot….JK. Look forward to enjoying this show for the rest of the season.
    How many episodes at present, is it contracted for? How soon will they make a decision to extend or renew?

30. Partisan says:

Bit Blade Runner (OK a lot of Blade Runner) some robocop, some Mann & Machine (look it up) not a bad start. I’ll be giving it an honest try. If only it wasn’t up against How I Met Your Mother.

And it’s Insyndicate not The Syndicate. Picky I know but since it looks like they;’re the big bad you might want to make a note.

31. I haven’t seen the show but this sounds like a reworking of an old sci-fi series called “Total Recall 2070.”

32. Ricardo Gray says:

I hate fox and I mean I really hate FOX
    And I hope they CANCLE this show because
    It’s REALLY REALY good
    GOD I HATE FOX
    WHY such a good show have to be on FOX
    GOD I can’t wait for them to cancel the show
    So I can go back to SKIPPING FOX

AHHHHHHH AAHHHHHH DAM& IT

33. Max says:

Well I think it looks more like a reboot of This 1999 show called Total Recall 2070 It has a similar plot. In TR2070 A police loses his partner he was shot by a gang of Androids, and then soon after his partner is replaced by an Android at first he doesn’t like the idea but they turn out to be buddy s. But I do agree it also looks like Blade Runner a very dark future with Androids. I wish that this show lasts for a long time, we need sci-fi shows like this !