The Killing Lives! Netflix Orders 6-Episode Final Season of AMC's Cancelled Drama

Get More: Renewals

The Killing Season 4The Killing has cheated death yet again.

Just months after AMC cancelled Veena Sud’s mystery drama (for a second time!), Netflix has swooped in and ordered a fourth and final season, TVLine has learned.

The streaming giant and home to critical darlings House of Cards and Orange is the New Black has commissioned a six-episode wrap-up to the series.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

“The rich, serialized storytelling in The Killing thrives on Netflix, and we believe that it is only fitting to give Sarah Linden and Stephen Holder a proper send off,” said Cindy Holland, vice president of original content for Netflix in a statement. “We are looking forward to offering fans — both existing and new — a series that we know is perfectly suited for on-demand viewing.”

Added David Madden, president of Fox Television Studios, which produces The Killing: “It’s a true testament to Veena Sud, and the stellar cast led so compellingly by Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman, that fans remained so passionate about the show. We’re gratified that our partners at Netflix recognized this, and are giving us the opportunity to complete the story in a way that will be satisfying to our loyal audience.”

AMC famously pulled the plug on The Killing after its much-maligned second season, only to change its mind several months later. The show’s recently-concluded third season garnered mostly favorable reviews and solid-ish ratings.

Thoughts? Relieved Linden and Holder are getting a final chapter? Weigh in below!

Tags: ,

Comments (186)

• YES YES YES!!!!!!

Comment by Nate – November 15, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FANTASTIC NEWS! I was toying with the idea of discontinuing my Netflix but not now!

Comment by Allen – November 15, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great News re The Killing!!! Guess I’ll have to subscribe to netflix…

Comment by Kate Farrell – November 15, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Best news!! I was just angsting over that finale’s lack of resolution and how awful it was that Hell on Wheels was renewed when the superior Killing wasn’t. It’s like Netflix was in my head and did me a solid!!

Comment by Patricia – November 15, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YAY More Linden/Holder!

Comment by Louise Monroe (@Louisewatchestv) – November 15, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What does Hell on Wheels have to do with The Killing? If you don’t like it don’t watch it!!! Geez.

Comment by Frank – November 16, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Some people are too feeble minded to be able to praise a show they like without insulting another show.

Comment by Debra – November 16, 2013 09:19 AM PDT
          • Well, they’re both on AMC and were both up for either renewal or cancellation around the same time. If it were up to me, I would have picked “The Killing” as well, no offense intended.

Comment by Wendy Testaburger – November 16, 2013 12:58 PM PDT
          • I have been a fan from day 1 of both shows. I was not happy when The Killing was not renewed, but I was not that surprised. It’s all about the ratings. For AMC is what not a choice of “shall we cancel The Killing or Hell on Wheels?” The 2 shows are completely distinct from one another, with regard to both subject matter and audience.

Comment by Frank – November 16, 2013 02:50 PM PDT
        • Just finished Season 3 of the Killing and I am dying for more. Thank you Netflix, I love the original shows! Why only 6 more episodes? I want more!!!!

Comment by Beth – January 7, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just started series about three weeks ago–knew nothing about it. Got so hooked that it was not unusual for my husband and I to begin watching at 10:00 p.m., and finally agree to quit and get some sleep about l:30 a.m. Loved, loved, loved it. Just finished last season yesterday and have been moping around all day until I found this site and learned about a Season 4. The acting and writing is so incredible I could watch 20 seasons! Actually not much of a tv watcher, this one got me!!

Comment by J. Harris – February 10, 2014 06:10 PM PDT
          • I am also glad to hear of the season 4!!!!! I can’t wait to start watching !!!! When is going to be out to watch?

Comment by Sharon – April 10, 2014 09:03 AM PDT
        • This show is the bomb couldn’t stop watching on Netflix ending to season 3 could have been much better. Wish it would just go on and on.

Comment by Russell – March 20, 2014 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I cannot end the way it did! Leaving us wanting more! Unanswered questions! Where is Kallie and what about all the other bodies???

Don’t cancel this Netflix. Bring it back for a full 4th Season!

Comment by Tonya Warren – November 26, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto

Comment by Warner Gaffney – December 13, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is difficult for ratings when the main character is an OCD, unattractive woman. When the show is new and refreshing, its not such a big issue. But after the same ol’, same ol’ plot , the show ends up focusing on the main characters. Even Holder was more interesting than Linden, but both were not attractive enough to maintain a loyal following.

Comment by depotnator – March 5, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is just stupid to say…Who cares what they look like..It is the plot and the acting that counts…GEEZ!!!

Comment by Michelle – March 11, 2014 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea!!!!! The Killing is one of my all time favorites….I love it….Lindin and Holder make my day!!!
      Thank you Netflix.

Comment by kristi Medeiros – March 17, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot possibly love this news enough!!!!!!!!!

Comment by MrMank – November 15, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for them! The Third Season will probably be ignored awards season despite being amazing!

Comment by Anthony – November 15, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What absolutely FABULOUS news! My husband and I are both thrilled!

Comment by Bobbi – November 15, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me so happy! Even if it’s only 6 episodes and it’s being called a “wrap-up” so there’s no possibility of more, to get Linden & Holder back is amazing! Thank you Netflix!

Comment by Rebecca Parker – November 15, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All hail Netflix!!!

Comment by luke – November 15, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So HAPPY!!!! Thank you Netflix!!

Comment by Lisa Montgomery – November 15, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it amazes me the tripe that can last for 8, 9, 10 seasons on network tv … but we have to fight to keep high quality shows like The Killing alive. all hail, Netflix!

Comment by Dave – November 15, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH! LINDEN AND HOLDER ARE BACK!

Comment by k. (@Kareen_T) – November 15, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMGosh, this gives me life!

Comment by pete – November 15, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ZOMG – between BatKid and this, DAY=MADE.

Comment by Annie – November 15, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best…News…Ever!!! 6 more episodes of “Holderisms” Nahm-sayin?! haha YES!!!!!

Comment by DonDraper – November 15, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG yes!!! Love the Holder-isms .. best one ever –
      “ohh snap!! Linden got a booty call.. dial 1-900-LINDEN”
      Hahahhahahha frigen awesome
      I don’t want this show to end. Please Netflix !!! Please keep making more seasons
      Blows CSI out of the water…

Comment by Susan – December 16, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t have said any better than you. We need quality shows like this and Holder-isms rock!!!

Comment by Johnny Hawes – January 3, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYAYAYAYAY !!

Comment by debbinla – November 15, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought season 3 (last season) sucked hard. The choice to focus on a child murder again was so repetative. And I missed the atmosphere of season 1 and 2 with all the rain and moodiness (less the dirtiness of season 3) so hopefully they can get the show back to that look. It’s also fitting because I watched season 1 of this show on Netlix binge style! TGI netflix!

Comment by cj – November 15, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! Too bad I don’t have Netflix. :(

Comment by Bridgette – November 15, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only $7.99 a month, and well worth it – especially if they keep putting out excellent new content!

Comment by Rebecca Parker – November 15, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Websites like couchtuner have netflix shows on them.

Comment by dys – November 15, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god WHAT!? This is absolutely amazing news. Between this, Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black, Netflix have found a customer for life.

Related tangent: I don’t get all the season 2 hate. Episode 1 of The Killing established several things:
    One episode per day of the case. The Richmond campaign/the upcoming election was in some way connected to the murder. The election was in 26 days. There are 13 episodes in a season.
    I honestly don’t get how people didn’t deduce it’d be a two season case. To me it was clear they were going to have the case parallel the campaign.

Comment by RyanC – November 15, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention its not like it was unexpected that the story would be split over two parts as that’s exactly what season 1 of the original Danish version did. Episode 10 aired on the 11th March and Episode 11 on the 23rd September. So it seemed fairly obvious that the US version wouldn’t be able to do it in 13 episodes

Comment by Wakey – November 15, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never caught on that the election was in 26 days. I mean, it’s obvious now. I’m not sure that was necessarily the showrunner’s original intent, though. Or if it was, she was coy about it. It had been hinted that they would solve the Rosie Larson case mid season, while giving Linder and Holden a new case at the beginning of the season (a move I felt was brilliant). To address your initial issue, though…people have no patience when it comes to shows. Character development and solid writing mean nothing to a lot of folks, unfortunately.

Comment by MrMank – November 15, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it was AMC’s “All will be revealed!” advertising that threw people and caused the fury. AMC’s marketing strongly implied that the case would be solved by the final episode. Most people didn’t catch the 26 days to the election angle, and it certainly wasn’t fodder for discussion here and elsewhere on the web.

Comment by Marc – November 16, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll add this is so awesome because with Netflix we now have the opportunity for shows that have fun a few years and play well on netflix, but for whatever reason were cancelled on TV, for netflix to give the series a proper sendoff. This is great news for fans of said shows and smart for netflix as more people will watch the shows there if they have endings.

Comment by cj – November 15, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope someone(either Fox or Netflix) demanded more Arrested Development for this

Comment by hello – November 15, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I am glad it is being resurected again. Go Netflix.

Comment by Sue Craig – November 15, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Killing must do some big business for Netflix. I’ve never seen a series get cancelled than picked up then cancelled and renewed again! Talk about nine lives!

Comment by Jared – November 15, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s hoping that netflix will get such good ratings for the killing that they’ll decide to continue on with the series…….I’m grateful they have picked it up, they seem to know what all of us do, this show is awwwwwwwwwwwwwesommmmmmmme!

Comment by searita – November 17, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show will make vampires blush, it keeps coming back from the dead again And again And again!

Comment by Khaira – November 15, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I am very excited….

Comment by lola – November 15, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG I am thrilled!

Comment by Goat Girl – November 15, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMF THANK YA NET NET FIX FIX!! ALL HAIL NETFLIX!!!!! ALL HAIL NETFLIX!!!!

Comment by Hazel – November 15, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put it to rest already….

Comment by Jared – November 15, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could not be happier. I still long to find out what happens at Deadwood. At least we get to clear up Seattle. Thank you so much, Netflix.

Comment by Alan Dvorkis – November 15, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now all Netflix has to do is give us a 6 episode sendoff for The Glades!

Comment by Chuck – November 15, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Glades was a silly show that had no concept of geography in the state of Florida.. However, I watched it and it’s not good that the plug was pulled after they shot Jim and left him on the ground.. But it’s not alone in having a show getting yanked on a cliffhanger….

Comment by Doug H – November 16, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, if that was so. It appeared that as soon as the Jim/Callie wedding became a part of the story, the station cancelled. I really liked the show though.

Comment by Warner Gaffney – December 13, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU NETFLIX, thank you! Thank you for recognizing talent and quality! Gash, i am so happy right now!

Comment by Sarah – November 15, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL. I love this! More Holder…thank you.

Comment by mandy – November 15, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. This show has 9 lives. Well, OK, 3, but still.

Comment by Liz985 – November 15, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix is my god now.

Comment by Et al – November 15, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now. They need to do the same to Happy Endings!

Comment by Kyle C. – November 15, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hot f**kin’ damn!!

Comment by Jennifer – November 15, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Netflix,

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Love,

Pete

PS: #yesyesyes

Comment by mantua – November 15, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the way, if there is any justice the show will receive acting nominations in ALL four Emmy Drama categories for the third season : Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman in lead, Peter Sarsgaard and Bex Taylor-Klaus in supporting.

Comment by mantua – November 15, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget Amy Seimetz!

Comment by Bruno – November 15, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, joining netflix tonight

Comment by Roberta – November 15, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now my love for Netflix could only grow if they ordered a fourth season of Veronica Mars arresteddevelopment-style AND maybe resurrect the underrated little gem that was Bunheads AND at least a shortened ‘wrap-up’ season for the wonderful Pushing Daisies…oh, snap, I AM a greedy SOB, aren’t I ? Oh, well…

Comment by mantua – November 15, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has more lives than a cat! Yay for Netflix!!!

Comment by Aimee – November 15, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First there’s info about the mentalist’s episode on Sunday. Now this awesomeness?! Day made. Thanks Netflix!

Comment by enri – November 15, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this news! Thank You Netflix. Can’t wait to see season 4.

Comment by Joey – November 15, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Glades and Life?

Comment by prish – November 15, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very smart Netflix! I know what I’ll be watching!.

Comment by Angie S – November 15, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!!!!!! Love Linden and Holder!!!!!

Comment by Jen – November 15, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that Holder goes back to his street vernacular, He was amazing and it played well off of Sarah’s deadpan gaze. He is hilarious, and I hope we can let Sarah go out happy whole and sane! The two of them together again-Bravo NETFLIX

Comment by Julia – November 15, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Netflix! What great news. So grateful we will get to see Linden and Holder wrap things up.

Comment by HNW – November 15, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one think it sucks that you get hooked on a show and then they go to Netflix or Direct TV or some other place that not all of us have access to nor do we want to be forced into subscribing to in order to be able to see the shows that we have grown to love.

Comment by June Martin – November 15, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get used to the real world honey. A lot of things suck!! This will come out on DVD at the very least. If you really care, rent or buy it. Or maybe make a friend that has Netflix.

Comment by Jason – November 15, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when is Firefly coming back?

Comment by Jason – November 15, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled. Killing got a lot of flack over time for nothing. Acting at its best!

Comment by Terrie1000 – November 15, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Comment by Alichat – November 15, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy! Happy! Happy!!!!!

Comment by susan duran – November 15, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! More Linden and Holder. Woohoo!

Comment by DanielleZ – November 15, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post