The Killing Lives! Netflix Orders 6-Episode Final Season of AMC's Cancelled Drama

The Killing Season 4The Killing has cheated death yet again.

Just months after AMC cancelled Veena Sud’s mystery drama (for a second time!), Netflix has swooped in and ordered a fourth and final season, TVLine has learned.

The streaming giant and home to critical darlings House of Cards and Orange is the New Black has commissioned a six-episode wrap-up to the series.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

“The rich, serialized storytelling in The Killing thrives on Netflix, and we believe that it is only fitting to give Sarah Linden and Stephen Holder a proper send off,” said Cindy Holland, vice president of original content for Netflix in a statement. “We are looking forward to offering fans — both existing and new — a series that we know is perfectly suited for on-demand viewing.”

Added David Madden, president of Fox Television Studios, which produces The Killing: “It’s a true testament to Veena Sud, and the stellar cast led so compellingly by Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman, that fans remained so passionate about the show. We’re gratified that our partners at Netflix recognized this, and are giving us the opportunity to complete the story in a way that will be satisfying to our loyal audience.”

AMC famously pulled the plug on The Killing after its much-maligned second season, only to change its mind several months later. The show’s recently-concluded third season garnered mostly favorable reviews and solid-ish ratings.

Thoughts? Relieved Linden and Holder are getting a final chapter? Weigh in below!

1. Nate says:

YES YES YES!!!!!!

• Allen says:

FANTASTIC NEWS! I was toying with the idea of discontinuing my Netflix but not now!

• Kate Farrell says:

Great News re The Killing!!! Guess I’ll have to subscribe to netflix…

• Patricia says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Best news!! I was just angsting over that finale’s lack of resolution and how awful it was that Hell on Wheels was renewed when the superior Killing wasn’t. It’s like Netflix was in my head and did me a solid!!

• Frank says:

What does Hell on Wheels have to do with The Killing? If you don’t like it don’t watch it!!! Geez.

• Debra says:

Some people are too feeble minded to be able to praise a show they like without insulting another show.

• Wendy Testaburger says:

Well, they’re both on AMC and were both up for either renewal or cancellation around the same time. If it were up to me, I would have picked “The Killing” as well, no offense intended.

• Frank says:

I have been a fan from day 1 of both shows. I was not happy when The Killing was not renewed, but I was not that surprised. It’s all about the ratings. For AMC is what not a choice of “shall we cancel The Killing or Hell on Wheels?” The 2 shows are completely distinct from one another, with regard to both subject matter and audience.

• Beth says:

Just finished Season 3 of the Killing and I am dying for more. Thank you Netflix, I love the original shows! Why only 6 more episodes? I want more!!!!

• J. Harris says:

Just started series about three weeks ago–knew nothing about it. Got so hooked that it was not unusual for my husband and I to begin watching at 10:00 p.m., and finally agree to quit and get some sleep about l:30 a.m. Loved, loved, loved it. Just finished last season yesterday and have been moping around all day until I found this site and learned about a Season 4. The acting and writing is so incredible I could watch 20 seasons! Actually not much of a tv watcher, this one got me!!

• Sharon says:

I am also glad to hear of the season 4!!!!! I can’t wait to start watching !!!! When is going to be out to watch?

• Russell says:

This show is the bomb couldn’t stop watching on Netflix ending to season 3 could have been much better. Wish it would just go on and on.

• Tonya Warren says:

Yes! I cannot end the way it did! Leaving us wanting more! Unanswered questions! Where is Kallie and what about all the other bodies???

Don’t cancel this Netflix. Bring it back for a full 4th Season!

• depotnator says:

It is difficult for ratings when the main character is an OCD, unattractive woman. When the show is new and refreshing, its not such a big issue. But after the same ol’, same ol’ plot , the show ends up focusing on the main characters. Even Holder was more interesting than Linden, but both were not attractive enough to maintain a loyal following.

• Michelle says:

That is just stupid to say…Who cares what they look like..It is the plot and the acting that counts…GEEZ!!!

• Holly says:

I don’t think their looks have anything to do with it, that’s just ridiculous. Their acting is amazing they make you believe it. I love this show and not going to lie I cried when bullet died :(

• Robin says:

Unattractive? Sorry but I completely disagree. Both characters are attractive, interesting and well done. I am thrilled that Netflix is going to give us more. I hope that The Killing will continue on. Looking forward to August!

• dobreedee says:

Such a misanthropic opinion!

• kristi Medeiros says:

Yea!!!!! The Killing is one of my all time favorites….I love it….Lindin and Holder make my day!!!
      Thank you Netflix.

2. MrMank says:

I cannot possibly love this news enough!!!!!!!!!

3. Anthony says:

Happy for them! The Third Season will probably be ignored awards season despite being amazing!

4. Bobbi says:

What absolutely FABULOUS news! My husband and I are both thrilled!

5. Rebecca Parker says:

This makes me so happy! Even if it’s only 6 episodes and it’s being called a “wrap-up” so there’s no possibility of more, to get Linden & Holder back is amazing! Thank you Netflix!

6. luke says:

All hail Netflix!!!

7. So HAPPY!!!! Thank you Netflix!!

8. Dave says:

it amazes me the tripe that can last for 8, 9, 10 seasons on network tv … but we have to fight to keep high quality shows like The Killing alive. all hail, Netflix!

9. HELL YEAH! LINDEN AND HOLDER ARE BACK!

10. Annie says:

ZOMG – between BatKid and this, DAY=MADE.

11. DonDraper says:

Best…News…Ever!!! 6 more episodes of “Holderisms” Nahm-sayin?! haha YES!!!!!

• Susan says:

OMG yes!!! Love the Holder-isms .. best one ever –
      “ohh snap!! Linden got a booty call.. dial 1-900-LINDEN”
      Hahahhahahha frigen awesome
      I don’t want this show to end. Please Netflix !!! Please keep making more seasons
      Blows CSI out of the water…

12. debbinla says:

YAYAYAYAYAY !!

13. cj says:

I thought season 3 (last season) sucked hard. The choice to focus on a child murder again was so repetative. And I missed the atmosphere of season 1 and 2 with all the rain and moodiness (less the dirtiness of season 3) so hopefully they can get the show back to that look. It’s also fitting because I watched season 1 of this show on Netlix binge style! TGI netflix!

14. Bridgette says:

This is great news! Too bad I don’t have Netflix. :(

15. RyanC says:

Oh my god WHAT!? This is absolutely amazing news. Between this, Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black, Netflix have found a customer for life.

Related tangent: I don’t get all the season 2 hate. Episode 1 of The Killing established several things:
    One episode per day of the case. The Richmond campaign/the upcoming election was in some way connected to the murder. The election was in 26 days. There are 13 episodes in a season.
    I honestly don’t get how people didn’t deduce it’d be a two season case. To me it was clear they were going to have the case parallel the campaign.

• Wakey says:

Not to mention its not like it was unexpected that the story would be split over two parts as that’s exactly what season 1 of the original Danish version did. Episode 10 aired on the 11th March and Episode 11 on the 23rd September. So it seemed fairly obvious that the US version wouldn’t be able to do it in 13 episodes

• MrMank says:

I never caught on that the election was in 26 days. I mean, it’s obvious now. I’m not sure that was necessarily the showrunner’s original intent, though. Or if it was, she was coy about it. It had been hinted that they would solve the Rosie Larson case mid season, while giving Linder and Holden a new case at the beginning of the season (a move I felt was brilliant). To address your initial issue, though…people have no patience when it comes to shows. Character development and solid writing mean nothing to a lot of folks, unfortunately.

• Marc says:

I think it was AMC’s “All will be revealed!” advertising that threw people and caused the fury. AMC’s marketing strongly implied that the case would be solved by the final episode. Most people didn’t catch the 26 days to the election angle, and it certainly wasn’t fodder for discussion here and elsewhere on the web.

16. cj says:

I’ll add this is so awesome because with Netflix we now have the opportunity for shows that have fun a few years and play well on netflix, but for whatever reason were cancelled on TV, for netflix to give the series a proper sendoff. This is great news for fans of said shows and smart for netflix as more people will watch the shows there if they have endings.

17. hello says:

Hope someone(either Fox or Netflix) demanded more Arrested Development for this

18. Sue Craig says:

I love this show. I am glad it is being resurected again. Go Netflix.

19. Jared says:

The Killing must do some big business for Netflix. I’ve never seen a series get cancelled than picked up then cancelled and renewed again! Talk about nine lives!

• searita says:

Here’s hoping that netflix will get such good ratings for the killing that they’ll decide to continue on with the series…….I’m grateful they have picked it up, they seem to know what all of us do, this show is awwwwwwwwwwwwwesommmmmmmme!

20. Khaira says:

This show will make vampires blush, it keeps coming back from the dead again And again And again!

21. lola says:

Great news! I am very excited….

22. Goat Girl says:

OMG I am thrilled!

23. Hazel says:

OMF THANK YA NET NET FIX FIX!! ALL HAIL NETFLIX!!!!! ALL HAIL NETFLIX!!!!

24. Jared says:

Put it to rest already….

25. Alan Dvorkis says:

I could not be happier. I still long to find out what happens at Deadwood. At least we get to clear up Seattle. Thank you so much, Netflix.

26. Chuck says:

Now all Netflix has to do is give us a 6 episode sendoff for The Glades!

• Doug H says:

The Glades was a silly show that had no concept of geography in the state of Florida.. However, I watched it and it’s not good that the plug was pulled after they shot Jim and left him on the ground.. But it’s not alone in having a show getting yanked on a cliffhanger….

• Oh, if that was so. It appeared that as soon as the Jim/Callie wedding became a part of the story, the station cancelled. I really liked the show though.

27. Sarah says:

THANK YOU NETFLIX, thank you! Thank you for recognizing talent and quality! Gash, i am so happy right now!

28. mandy says:

LOL. I love this! More Holder…thank you.

29. Liz985 says:

Wow. This show has 9 lives. Well, OK, 3, but still.

30. Et al says:

Netflix is my god now.

31. Kyle C. says:

Now. They need to do the same to Happy Endings!

32. Jennifer says:

Hot f**kin’ damn!!

33. mantua says:

Dear Netflix,

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Love,

Pete

PS: #yesyesyes

34. mantua says:

By the way, if there is any justice the show will receive acting nominations in ALL four Emmy Drama categories for the third season : Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman in lead, Peter Sarsgaard and Bex Taylor-Klaus in supporting.

35. Roberta says:

Yay, joining netflix tonight

36. mantua says:

Now my love for Netflix could only grow if they ordered a fourth season of Veronica Mars arresteddevelopment-style AND maybe resurrect the underrated little gem that was Bunheads AND at least a shortened ‘wrap-up’ season for the wonderful Pushing Daisies…oh, snap, I AM a greedy SOB, aren’t I ? Oh, well…

37. Aimee says:

This show has more lives than a cat! Yay for Netflix!!!

38. enri says:

First there’s info about the mentalist’s episode on Sunday. Now this awesomeness?! Day made. Thanks Netflix!

39. Joey says:

So happy about this news! Thank You Netflix. Can’t wait to see season 4.

40. prish says:

How about Glades and Life?

41. Angie S says:

Very smart Netflix! I know what I’ll be watching!.

42. Jen says:

Awesome!!!!!! Love Linden and Holder!!!!!

43. Julia says:

I hope that Holder goes back to his street vernacular, He was amazing and it played well off of Sarah’s deadpan gaze. He is hilarious, and I hope we can let Sarah go out happy whole and sane! The two of them together again-Bravo NETFLIX

44. HNW says:

Thank you Netflix! What great news. So grateful we will get to see Linden and Holder wrap things up.

45. June Martin says:

I for one think it sucks that you get hooked on a show and then they go to Netflix or Direct TV or some other place that not all of us have access to nor do we want to be forced into subscribing to in order to be able to see the shows that we have grown to love.

• Jason says:

Get used to the real world honey. A lot of things suck!! This will come out on DVD at the very least. If you really care, rent or buy it. Or maybe make a friend that has Netflix.

46. Jason says:

So when is Firefly coming back?

47. Terrie1000 says:

I am thrilled. Killing got a lot of flack over time for nothing. Acting at its best!

48. susan duran says:

Happy! Happy! Happy!!!!!

49. DanielleZ says:

This is great news! More Linden and Holder. Woohoo!