Stephen Moyer Talks 'Scary' Sound of Music Gig, Marvels at Carrie Underwood's 'Fabulous' Hair

The Sound of Music Live! - Season 2013When NBC announced that Stephen Moyer was joining its three-hour holiday event The Sound of Music Live! (Dec. 5, 8/7c) as Capt. Georg Von Trapp you could almost hear the collective, “Huh?” But long before he was sinking his teeth into on and off screen love Anna Paquin on True Blood, the UK-born actor was a song-and-dance man, er, kid.

“I started out as a chorister in the village that I grew up,” explains Moyer, who performed in some three dozen musicals before enrolling in the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Upon graduation, he starred in a touring production of Romeo and Juliet and had a role in the theatrical version of  Pete Townshend’s The Iron Man, before segueing into TV and film full-time. Now, some two decades later, Moyer is rekindling his love affair with the stage in a big way.

Below, he opens up about his challenging re-entry into the medium via last summer’s limited engagement of Chicago at the Hollywood Bowl, why the prospect of performing live in front of millions of TV viewers scares the you-know-what out of him, and what he really thinks of his Music co-star Carrie Underwood’s signature mane.

VIDEO | NBC’s Sound of Music Live: First Trailer!

TVLINE | Why get back into musical theater now?
Back in ’95 I was doing a Romeo and Juliet world tour and I had a moment of panic. I had been doing theater back-to-back-to-back for chicagoyears and I [needed] a break for a bit. And, sure enough, a TV job came along pretty soon after. And then another one. And then a film. And before I knew it, two years had become five had become 10 and then 18. And a couple years ago I got to a point where I was going “I’ve really got to get back on stage.” And then Chicago came along at a time when I really wanted to do something.

TVLINE | How was that experience?
If you’d asked me what I wanted to do, it would not have been 10 days of rehearsal in front of 18,000 people at the Hollywood Bowl. It was f—ing terrifying; I didn’t love it. Ten days is such a short rehearsal time.

TVLINE | With Sound of Music, you have seven weeks of rehearsal time, but it’s all for one performance in front of millions of people, potentially. That sounds scarier.
It is crazy. It’s [essentially] the first preview, the press night, and the closing night all in one. And it is scary.

TVLINE | It’s a brave way to transition back to the stage.
I would have preferred to have [followed True Blood co-star Joe Manganiello's lead] and done a small theater in a town where it’s going to be seen but you’re in a gentle environment, rather than in front of f—ing God knows how many people.

TVLINE | So why do it?
It was time to test myself. I’ve been scared of going back on stage — and it’s completely rational fear. But it’s something that I love. This is all I ever wanted to do. When I started out in little Brentwood in Essex all I wanted to do was be on stage. That was my great love and my great passion. I want to get that love back.

TVLINE | Do you have a connection to this source material?
I auditioned for a revival in London when I was about 14. It’s the only thing I ever auditioned for professionally and I don’t think I even made it past the first stage. And, you know, everybody watches during some of the holidays. I’ve always loved it.

TVLINE | Will there be a live audience?
No. Everybody keeps going, “Can I come and see it?” I’m like, “There’s nothing to see!” [Laughs] It’s in a studio. The sets are amazing. Absolutely beautiful sets.

TVLINE | How has it been working with Carrie?
She’s lovely. She’s got fabulous hair — [which is] very important. [Laughs] She’s very keen and excited and willing to learn and she sings the s–t out of the songs. She’s been very open about what she’s good at and what she’s new to. So she’s very vocal about asking for help.

1. Mollie says:

Stephen is SO versatile and talented:) he’s amazing! A beautiful singing voice! Wish him all the best of lucky with re~kindling his musical career. He also has a bright future behind the camera as a brilliant director! Good Luck to you, Stephen, in your acting endeavors and your production company! :) xx

2. Titina says:

Can´t wait to see this! I think he is gonna be awesome as Capt Von Trapp.
    And from the promo I´ve seen he has great chemistry with Carrie!

3. Will says:

No live audience on location? wack

• Et al says:

Yeah. Without an audience, I’m going to have a hard time believing this is actually live. If they’ve built massive studio sets, why go with the live gimmick?

• Drew says:

A live audience adds an unneeded element to a televised performance. What happens if a cell phone goes off? Or a baby cries. Or someone decides to throw their shoe at the actors?
        Plus, you have television equipment which would interfere with a live audience’s enjoyment of the show. Cameramen might be moving across the stage with steadycams. Lights. Microphones.

There is already enough that could go wrong with a live performance being televised. An audience would just get in the way. There’s a reason why they’re not just renting out a theater and putting on a normal stage production.

• Shaun says:

What will be the difference?They won’t be applauding or anything.

4. Junie says:

Saw Stephen in “Chicago”.The man has mega stage presence, and a good singing voice to boot. I am looking forward to enjoying Mr Moyer in The Sound of Music!

5. Vinicius says:

I have warmed up to his casting but still can’t get over how misscast Carrie seems for this. I really wish they had someone like Laura Osnes caast to do it. Or even Amanda Seyfried or Anna Kendrick if they wanted a “star”. Well, looking foward for the supporting cast, Laura Benanti and Audra Mcamazingdonald.

• Emma says:

You need somebody with the guts to perform live. I don’t know much about Amanda or Anna, other than their roles in films. I’ve seen lots of other suggestions too, but would any of them be willing to take the risk of making a mistake in front of millions of people and their DVR’s? There will be no take 2, or 3 or 4. It’s not like making a slip-up in front of a couple of thousand at a theater performance. And there will be no studio recorded vocals overdubbed to their performance, which is the way most actors are able to sound so good in movie musicals. They can keep singing until they get it right. I wouldn’t blame any Hollywood actor for turning down this role if it were offered.

6. Venus Ann B says:

I am a fan of both Stephen Moyer and Carrie Underwood so I am thrilled and can hardly wait to see it. :)

7. missjanenc says:

If you want to talk about miscasting, how about a black nun in a pre-WWII Austrian convent.

8. The down sides affecting my personal performing monsters tips is a huge
    well-liked topic amongst historians for quite some
    time. Advancments during my performing enemies secrets and cheats is usually linked to numerous locations.

However the vocal skills things cheats is really a preferred topic connected with talk between monarchs,
    presidents and also dictators, my singing creatures tricks is displaying an increasing number of inside ideas from
    the young in addition to upwardly portable. Roughly in which my own vocal range monsters cheats is usually
    seriously considered 8 instances every day by the
    aristocracy, trapped by simply his or her famous history.

Although I’d personally rather be in bed I will right
    now verify the principal factors that cause my own vocal
    monsters tips. my own singing things tricks are most often a
    much more crucial concept that nearly all
    allow credit score regarding. The very next time the thing is that
    or maybe think about the vocal range things cheats,
    think of what we simply just understand along with comprehend what exactly is genuinely going on.
    It is likely you beneath respected my own vocal creatures tricks prior to, although will currently begin to supply
    the awarded necessary and well deserved.

In which perform we all head out by in this article? Simply time can say to.
    To reiterate, my vocal range creatures cheats takes on a sizable
    part inside existence off. This drives, the idea energizes and it’s also individual.
    1 closing imagined on the proficient Keanu Lennon:
    ‘I enjoy my own vocal skills monsters secrets? Of course!
    Hurray regarding my personal singing things
    tips! From a about three month extended research project, Appears competent to consider in which the
    singing enemies tips isn’t going to in a wrong way
    result the planet in any way. The my own vocal range enemies tricks
    wouldn’t manage to end in waste products and also could not become within jungles,
    jungles, rivers, seas, seas, and many others… In fact, the performing enemies cheats produced a number of positive effects upon
    the sweet minor character.

9. How to kiss: comment embrasser une fille

Kissing is’nt as tough as it seems. Most believe they don’t know how but when the time arrives they’re in fact genuinely excellent at it!

A initial kiss need to always be spontaneous but subtle, slow,
    and sweet.

If your spouse kisses you 1st you may open up your lips a tiny, but NO french kissing.

It would damage a 1st kiss, remark embrasser and be
    sloppy. The thought, is genuinely to push your lips up in opposition to
    your partners but not to a lot. Make confident your placement is comfortable also, so your not in soreness even though kissing.

If your Kissing your companion, comment embrasser probably start by kissing him/her softly on
    the cheek, then when he/she seems to be at you, you
    can kiss them softly on the lips. comment embrasser

And remember currently being by itself may well be better
    for a first kiss. Things may not be so excellent with freinds seeing…or jealous exes….
    comment embrasser une fille

Remeber, comment embrasser une fille if the kiss was bizarre you too can
    always chortle it of safley and attempt yet again up coming time.

Si vous êtes déjà demandé comment embrasser votre partenaire, sans crainte d’être rejeté et
    la façon de rendre le baiser aussi passionné que possible, alors ne vous inquiétez
    pas. en suivant ce guide simple, vous aurez même la fille que vous êtes après penchant pour vous
    embrasser!

un baiser peux vous faire du bien ou l’inverse, donc il est
    important de faire une bonne première impression quand
    il s’agit de baiser. ce guide va vous transformer à partir d’un ameteur à un prefessionnel en embrassant
    quelques minutes sans avoir besoin de pratique.

vous pouvez consulter ce guide en ligne ou téléchargez-le gratuitement!
    obtener ce guide pour découvrir les ingrédients pour le baiser parfait!

10. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to
    and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart.
    I can’t wait to read far more from you. This
    is actually a tremendous site.