Parenthood Exclusive: Jason Ritter Set to Return

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Jason Ritter Parenthood Season 5Real-life Gilmore Girls triangle update: Lauren Graham is wresting Jason Ritter back from Alexis Bledel!

TVLine has learned exclusively that Ritter has inked a deal to reprise his role as Mark Cyr, estranged boyfriend of Graham’s Sarah, during Parenthood‘s current fifth season.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Ritter will reappear in Episode 19, slated to air on April 24, when Mark has a chance encounter with one of the show’s characters (not necessarily Sarah, although — come on — their paths will undoubtedly cross).

As of now, Ritter is on board for just one episode.

The actor was last seen at the end of Parenthood‘s fourth season when Mark had his heart smashed into a million pieces by Sarah, who chose to be with Hank (Ray Romano) instead. (And we all know how that worked out.)

Ritter, of course, segued to the new Fox comedy Us & Them opposite Graham’s Gilmore daughter Alexis Bledel. That series recently had its order drastically cut back, freeing up Ritter to return to Parenthood.

Comments (56)

• Why does he keep fighting being on this show? He’s on, then he leaves for his own thing, that gets cancelled, he comes back, he leaves tries another show on his own it gets cancelled and now he returns. Just stay on the show! Be a series regular. We love his character, he has great chemistry with Lauren Graham. I know he keeps trying to get a show on his own, and that’s great, but he should really just stay with this show. I think it would be interesting to see Sarah(Lauren Graham) in a marriage or really being with him with no other triangle, no ex husband, no Ray Romano. I hope Jason Ritter decides to stick around, because I’m sure the Parenthood people want him to stay.

Comment by Stacie – November 14, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. SO tired of this merry-go-round. I really like them in their initial run together, but the character was beyond played out with the Hank rivalry.

Comment by FatherOctavian – November 14, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Ugh” was gonna be my exact comment on this

Comment by Maris – November 14, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. I like Jason Ritter as an actor, but put this storyline to bed already!

Comment by DL – November 15, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yup. Frankly, I’d rather they use the time they’ll waste on Mark’s story focusing on a Braverman. Like the completely-forgotten-about Haddie. EW speculates she must have joined a cult, since she’s never mentioned.

Comment by Audrey – November 16, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For all we know Mark could be married and have a pregnant wife. They didn’t say he would come on and instantly want to start a relationship with Sarah and have to fight to win her.

Comment by Rook – November 15, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy he’s coming back to the show. Can’t wait to see his return on the show in April.

Comment by Joey – November 14, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I know we shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth but one episode, 5 months away is toooooo few and far away. Mark and Sarah forever!! (Sorry Hank)

Comment by Elly – November 14, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! love that Mark is returning. Hoping it’s for more than just 1 episode though. I prefer Sarah with Mark, not a fan of Hank.

Comment by Rebecca – November 14, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not quite everybody loves Raymond.

Comment by BenM – November 14, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This storyline is getting old. Personally I thought the most intriguing part of their relationship was when Amber was involve/liked him too. Outside of that, their chemistry and storyline has been weak. Nothing against Jason Ritter, but they need to give Lauren Graham someone new. She’s a better actress than to be just getting the same “break up, get back together, break up, get back together etc” storyline.

Comment by Tina – November 14, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Rebecca – November 15, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they are giving her someone new… the man in her apt. building.

Comment by kyle – November 15, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m kind of over it too. i think it would be interesting to see him run into sarah and then she asks if he wants to maybe try again but he tells her he’s married now. with cyr married, amber getting married, all her other siblings married, it might motivate her to take a relationship seriously. and not with hank per se, but in general.

Comment by tess – November 14, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FFS, either make him a regular or stop bringing him back.

Comment by Meg – November 14, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would really like to see Mark in more than just 1 episode. But if 1 is all we get, then yay, it’s better than never again. If it’s just 1 scene, I’d rather it not be with Sarah though. Someone else would be more interesting. ;)

Comment by justlosefaith – November 14, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah needs to move on. No more Mark, no more Hank, as much as I like those characters, she needs a new trajectory when it comes to men and career.

Comment by Jill – November 14, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’ve ruined it = (.
    I loved them together sooo much. I loved them when there was the added drama of Ambers crush on him, I love them when they back together after the first breakup, and I loved them when they got engaged… but the show is ruining him&the couple by constantly bringing them together and pulling them apart. Bringing Mark back, and sending him on his way. Can they stop and just choose what they want to do with him, and do it, once and for all?

Comment by Courtney – November 14, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved* them when..

Comment by Courtney – November 14, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh. please no. sick of him dropping in and out whenever he flippin’ feels like it.

Comment by Elyse – November 14, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on, Katims, it’s clearly destiny…time to find the dollars to give this man a regular contract. NBC will help you find the money, we promise!

Comment by JohnD – November 14, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like they’re letting personal feelings get in the way of what’s best for the show. They’ve all talked about how much they enjoy working with Jason, so they’ll bring him back whenever he’s available&wants to… failing to realize it’s a bad thing for the show.

Comment by Courtney – November 14, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring him back, make him a regular and marry Sarah. Hank is the worst!

Comment by Holly – November 14, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As annoying as Sarah’s relationship may be at this point, I have always enjoyed his interplay in the storylines. Glad to have anyone return to the show, now if only they would even mention Haddie’s existence that’d be cool.

Comment by schu – November 14, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gasped with excitement at this headline. All this negativity needs to get gone. MARK CYR FOR LIFE. I’ll take whatever I can get.

Comment by Kate – November 14, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys, it doesn’t say he’ll interact with Sarah! We don’t know that they’ll touch on the Sarah/Mark romance in person at all. So…..I’ll be happy to see him. There are a lot of Mark fans, and he did get a Guest Star Emmy Nomination for the show before.

Comment by Carla Krae – November 14, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mark!

Comment by Amy – November 14, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of the day. Is it a “rumor” that Jason Ritter’s new series Us and Them over on Fox is going to move forward once it premieres during mid-season?

Comment by Tran 2.0 – November 14, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, just no!

Comment by Parker – November 14, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And where the hell is Hattie????? Why was the character permanently forgotten????

Comment by Stang119 – November 14, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s at Cornell, 3000 miles away.

Comment by neha – November 14, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh I liked them together at first but I’m so over them. Too many breakups and getting back together for my taste.

Comment by Ruby – November 14, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they get back together I
    Like Jason better then Hank.

Comment by lisa wagner – November 14, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For one epsiode and one epsiode only: ok.
    For yet another go at Sarah/Mark: HELL NO!

Comment by Arien – November 14, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a lonely minority that has hated his character since the beginning and is one of the reasons I briefly stopped watching. This storyline needs to end, please stop reviving.

Comment by Tamara – November 15, 2013 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not completely alone. I don’t totally hate his character – I liked him as Amber’s teacher/mentor – but I’ve never liked Mark/Sarah. I wouldn’t mind if he came back as a character (Doesn’t Max start high school in a year or two?) just as long as it’s not as Sarah’s love interest.

Comment by anya – November 16, 2013 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the last chance Katims, get rid of Hank and bring Sarah and Mark back together…no playing around, no hurting each other. You could still make it believable that he takes her back now

Comment by Line – November 15, 2013 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be great to have Hank taking photos for Mark’s wedding to someone else. Max could be assisting and have some great comments.

Comment by NE – November 15, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Jason Ritter and if he ends up on for more that one episode I really hope they have Sarah and him get back together for good! Otherwise I think I will be fine with just the one episode.

Comment by sarah – November 15, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESYESYES!!! I’ve been waiting for him to come back and even though it’s just one episode, I take what I can get. Hopefully, Mark and Sarah will cyrvive in the end!

Comment by Jocelyn – November 15, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must be in the minority here as I thought there was NO chemstry between Mark and Sarah and he always looked like he was young enough to be her son. I never was a Ray Romano fan till I saw him on Men of a Certain age, but love his chemistry with Sarah and Max on Parenthood and hope he can stay on the show. He clicks better with Sarah and after all her past bad relationships he would be someone who would stand by her and love her thru thick and thin. She needs to settle down. I’d love Ray to be part of the Braverman family, and would love to see him hang out with them.

Comment by tnsmoke – November 15, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand romano’s character on parenthood!!!! Love Jason Ritter!!! BUT If Jaspn can’t come back for more than one episode let him go! Someone new for her and rid of Ray!!!!

Comment by Judy – November 15, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish they could hire Kyle Chandler(Friday Night Lighta) for a Sarah love interest. He is the right age for Sarah.

Comment by Ronnie Cragin – November 15, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! That is a brilliant idea – Kyle would be perfect opposite Lauren’s character!

Comment by Louisa – November 15, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kyle would be perfect opposite a paper bag.

Comment by neha – November 15, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Hank and Sarah were getting back together eventually. Don’t bring back Mark. That story is over. I love Hank and Max together. Been waiting for something to happen between him and Sarah. This season has not been my favorite. I don’t care about Amber’s wedding, just do it and get it over with. I don’t care about the the mayoral election either. My favorite stories have been Crosby and the new baby, and anytime with Hank and Max. Not crazy about Joel and Julia being pulled apart either.

Comment by shar – November 15, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Ritter is gorgeous, charismatic, and a fantastic actor. He can do whatever he darn well pleases — just bring him back and keep him there.

Comment by Jo-Ann Moss – November 15, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Ritter’s cute but not enough depth to keep an interesting story line. I want to see interaction between Jake and Hank – they’re both funny and weird. And, yes, Kyle Chandler would be a great love interest for Sarah!

Comment by Karen – November 15, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Mark, and I’m happy to hear he’s coming back. I just hope they’re not gonna try to get him back together with Sarah yet again. It was nice while it lasted, but it’s over. Move on. Give him a different storyline. I feel the same way about Hank. I love Ray Romano, and I love seeing him on the show, and I liked him with Sarah, but I’m glad he’s doing his own thing now. I like his scenes with Max. I think they work well together. In fact, I’d like it if they give Sarah’s love life a break for a while. Why does she always have to be in a relationship, or have a potential new man like that guy in her building? It never ends well, so either give her someone who’s endgame or give it a rest for a bit. But that’s just my long-winded opinion. (:

Comment by Casey – November 15, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No he should not return…I am over it. Sarah has the worst storyline on the show. Marks role has just played itself out.

Comment by Jeanna – November 15, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree!! I didn’t think Mark and Sarah looked like they fit together at all. I LOVE her with Hank. I think it’s a relationship that’s good for both of them. I, too, think this role is Ray Romano’s best. I was never a fan until I saw him on here.

Comment by Debra Turner – November 16, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Jason Ritter isn’t coming back to be with Sarah, don’t bring him back at all! There’s no point. They need to be together. Actually, I think she’s a little stupid for him, but he is good for her. Not interested at all if they don’t wind up together. Sorry. Just sayin’.

Comment by Patricia Barrett – November 16, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hank! Mark is too young for Sarah; and it always causes awkwardness with the school kids. Hank is age-appropriate, his maturity/wisdom and grumpiness is a perfect foil for Sarah’s flakiness, bad decision-making and easy-going nature. And there is a sweetness between Hank and Max that is subtle and adorable. Yes, by all means bring back Mark, but give him a better storyline than a cougar’s boytoy.

Comment by Che (@SiNewsOnTheNet) – December 1, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post