TVLine Items: Last Comic Standing Lives, SCTV Alum to Headline NBC Comedy and More
Last Comic Standing will laugh another day.
The long-shelved competition series is slated to return NBC this summer, with funnylady Wanda Sykes attached to executive produce.
RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard
After bowing in 2003, Standing aired on-and-off — and was even cancelled and revived — through 2010.
NBC has yet to name a host for the series’ eighth cycle.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• NBC has given the green light to Working the Engels, a 12-episode comedy following a family that bands together after their father passes away and leaves them in debt. Andrea Martin (SCTV), Kacey Rohl (Hannibal), Azura Skye (American Horror Story) and Benjamin Arthur (Less Than Kind) co-star.
• The CW has teamed with George Lopez on Star Crazy, a new musical drama. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the project follows a young Latina singer on her rise from poverty to super-stardom. The Wonder Years‘ Bob Brush and Mel Harris (thirtysomething) will pen/exec-produce the pilot alongside Lopez’s Travieso Productions.
• Nickelodeon’s rescue-pup-centric animated series Paw Patrol has received a Season 2 order, per our sister site Deadline.
• Syfy has put into development a drama series based on the classic poem Beowulf, Deadline reports. Penned by Matt Greenberg (1408), the project examines the titular hero’s rise to power and his feud with the monster Grendel.
• PBS has renewed the Tavis Smiley show through 2015.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?