John Oliver Leaving Daily Show to Host 'Topical Weekly Comedy Series' at HBO

Get More: Late Night TV, News

John Oliver Leaving The Daily ShowJohn Oliver is greener pastures-bound.

The actor-comedian is leaving his longtime perch at The Daily Show to headline a  topical weekly comedy series at HBO, to launch in 2014. The program — which will air on Sunday nights — will take a satirical look at the week in news, politics and current events. (Sound familiar?!)

VIDEO | The Daily Show With John Oliver: The 5 Best Bits

“We weren’t otherwise searching for another weekly talk show, but when we saw John Oliver handling host duties on The Daily Show, we knew that his singular perspective and distinct voice belonged on HBO,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “We are extremely excited that John has agreed to make HBO his home.”

PHOTO | First Look: John Oliver Does The Simpsons

Added Oliver: “I’m incredibly excited to be joining HBO, especially as I presume this means I get free HBO now. I want to thank Comedy Central, and everyone at The Daily Show for the best seven and a half years of my life. But most of all, I’d like to thank Jon Stewart. He taught me everything I know. In fact, if I fail in the future, it’s entirely his fault.”

Comments (23)

• this had to happen after how great he was during the summer.

Comment by Alan – November 14, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. So happy for him yet sad to see him go.

Comment by Lori – November 14, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 100% agree.
        he was a blast this summer.

Comment by Polly – November 14, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him and am so excited for his new show, but I will miss him on The Daily Show. As long as he never ever ever stops doing The Bugle I wish him all the best.

Comment by Erin – November 14, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Sound familiar?” Are they going to call the show Limey Real Time with John Oliver?

Comment by HAP – November 14, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d be fine with Bill Maher’s pompous a** going away and never coming back.

Comment by Paul – November 15, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy for him even though I will miss him dearly on TDS. Wish it was on basic cable :(

Comment by Deena – November 14, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Two words: Online Viewing.

Comment by Zach – November 14, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss him so much on TDS but great for him, he deserves is own TV show.

Comment by Magali – November 14, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This a bittersweet news

Comment by knd – November 14, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See I was wondering if Comedy Central was going to do something like give him a Friday slot for Daily Show Fridays or something. This works too.

Comment by Spinning Maze – November 14, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss him on The Daily Show, but all I could think of while watching him over the summer as the fill in host was that this man should have his own show. I will be setting my DVR to record this. Also it will be nice to see him without all the censoring. I wish they would leave the daily show “unbleeped”.We are all grownups here, and it is on late.

Comment by Mary Ann – November 14, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not on the West coast. It’s on at 8 pm, with reruns running at 4:30 pm the next day.

Comment by S. – November 15, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I want to know is when do we get him back on ‘Community’

Comment by Ron – November 14, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this season, he is going to be in something like 5 episodes.

Comment by Alan – November 14, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am SO excited for him to come back to “Community”!
        As for this news, as others have said, I’ll miss seeing him on “The Daily Show”-he was always my favorite correspondent on there. But he did such a brilliant job this past summer, so it was obvious someone would snap him up for his own show eventually. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for the new show when it debuts next year, and wish him luck with it!

Comment by Angela – November 14, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the answer, but I find myself asking this a lot these days: why does everything on cable have to be on Sunday nights!

Comment by TV Gord – November 14, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because that’s the night when more people regularly watch television (while dreading getting up on Monday morning). Of course it’s also the quickest way to insure that network shows we love get deep-sixed. (Goodbye, the Good Wife, Farewell, Revenge, your programming geniuses thought you could take viewers away from Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Sunday Night Football, but there’s just too much counter programming going on)

Comment by queerbec – November 14, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, they didn’t count on the Walking Dead being a juggernaut. The scripted shows on the networks will go up in ratings after Walking Dead finishes the fall half of its season.

Comment by Sg. Grant – November 15, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “DANGER!”

Comment by stevie – November 14, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome. He really was very funny over the summer.

Comment by bobbie – November 15, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He sure will be missed, but I do looking forward to this new program! :D

Comment by me – November 15, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big loss for the Daily Show. This guy is awesome, he’ll be bigger than Jon Stewart soon.

Comment by Steppy – November 16, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post