John Oliver Leaving Daily Show to Host 'Topical Weekly Comedy Series' at HBO

John Oliver Leaving The Daily ShowJohn Oliver is greener pastures-bound.

The actor-comedian is leaving his longtime perch at The Daily Show to headline a  topical weekly comedy series at HBO, to launch in 2014. The program — which will air on Sunday nights — will take a satirical look at the week in news, politics and current events. (Sound familiar?!)

VIDEO | The Daily Show With John Oliver: The 5 Best Bits

“We weren’t otherwise searching for another weekly talk show, but when we saw John Oliver handling host duties on The Daily Show, we knew that his singular perspective and distinct voice belonged on HBO,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “We are extremely excited that John has agreed to make HBO his home.”

PHOTO | First Look: John Oliver Does The Simpsons

Added Oliver: “I’m incredibly excited to be joining HBO, especially as I presume this means I get free HBO now. I want to thank Comedy Central, and everyone at The Daily Show for the best seven and a half years of my life. But most of all, I’d like to thank Jon Stewart. He taught me everything I know. In fact, if I fail in the future, it’s entirely his fault.”

1. Alan says:

this had to happen after how great he was during the summer.

2. Erin says:

I love him and am so excited for his new show, but I will miss him on The Daily Show. As long as he never ever ever stops doing The Bugle I wish him all the best.

3. HAP says:

“Sound familiar?” Are they going to call the show Limey Real Time with John Oliver?

4. Deena says:

I am happy for him even though I will miss him dearly on TDS. Wish it was on basic cable :(

5. Magali says:

I will miss him so much on TDS but great for him, he deserves is own TV show.

6. knd says:

This a bittersweet news

7. See I was wondering if Comedy Central was going to do something like give him a Friday slot for Daily Show Fridays or something. This works too.

8. Mary Ann says:

I will miss him on The Daily Show, but all I could think of while watching him over the summer as the fill in host was that this man should have his own show. I will be setting my DVR to record this. Also it will be nice to see him without all the censoring. I wish they would leave the daily show “unbleeped”.We are all grownups here, and it is on late.

9. Ron says:

All I want to know is when do we get him back on ‘Community’

• Alan says:

this season, he is going to be in something like 5 episodes.

• Angela says:

I am SO excited for him to come back to “Community”!
        As for this news, as others have said, I’ll miss seeing him on “The Daily Show”-he was always my favorite correspondent on there. But he did such a brilliant job this past summer, so it was obvious someone would snap him up for his own show eventually. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for the new show when it debuts next year, and wish him luck with it!

10. TV Gord says:

I know the answer, but I find myself asking this a lot these days: why does everything on cable have to be on Sunday nights!

• queerbec says:

Because that’s the night when more people regularly watch television (while dreading getting up on Monday morning). Of course it’s also the quickest way to insure that network shows we love get deep-sixed. (Goodbye, the Good Wife, Farewell, Revenge, your programming geniuses thought you could take viewers away from Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Sunday Night Football, but there’s just too much counter programming going on)

• Sg. Grant says:

Well, they didn’t count on the Walking Dead being a juggernaut. The scripted shows on the networks will go up in ratings after Walking Dead finishes the fall half of its season.

11. stevie says:

“DANGER!”

12. bobbie says:

awesome. He really was very funny over the summer.

13. me says:

He sure will be missed, but I do looking forward to this new program! :D

14. Steppy says:

Big loss for the Daily Show. This guy is awesome, he’ll be bigger than Jon Stewart soon.