AMC Renews Hell on Wheels for 'Super-Sized' Season 4 -- What About Low Winter Sun?

Hell on Wheels Season 4Here’s some heavenly news for Hell on Wheels fans: AMC is bringing back the period drama for a fourth season — and with an increased episode order to boot, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The series’ recently-concluded third season averaged 3.3 million viewers, a surprisingly strong number considering its shift to the TV graveyard known as Saturday night. To reward its solid performance, AMC has expanded Season 4 (bowing next summer) to 13 episodes — up from 10 for the first three seasons.

“AMC has served passionate Western fans for three decades, so it is particularly gratifying to see these viewers capping off their Saturdays with an original Western on what has historically been a tough night of the week for television,” noted AMC president Charlie Collier in a statement. “Our commitment to the genre is unwavering and we look forward to continuing to super-serve this audience with an expanded fourth season of Hell on Wheels.”

Meanwhile, an AMC rep says no decision has been made on the fate of rookie drama Low Winter Sun.

1. YES!!!!!! This is excellent news. Still a crying shame they killed off Lily, but at least there is a successful Western on television these days.

2. LisaB says:

The best news of the day for one of the best shows on TV!!!!! Can’t wait for its return!!

3. Et al says:

Spoiler: Low Winter Sun gets cancelled. AMC could get better ratings with Talking The Talking Dead – The Walking Dead post show post show.

4. PJL says:

Great news!! Your gut was right Michael, just a week off, Happy about the extra episodes too, :)

5. Boriqua1ny says:

FINALLY and with extra episodes too :-) loving this show and Bohannon in particular.

6. wrstlgirl says:

YAY!!!!!

7. Mel says:

8. Shaun says:

I thought the show would feel lifeless without lilly,but it still has some kick.

9. Teag says:

Season 3 was the best season so far, I’d say.

10. Ben says:

I love this show! Smart move, AMC!

11. jimmy says:

All right! I like it. Now just come through with a “Glades” 2 hour wrap up movie…

• queerbec says:

Never happen. Networks really don’t care about a handful of viewers being upset by a lack of resolution. They just assume they’ll be able to “take you in again” with their next series which they will then cancel without resolution. They assume that, like them, we didn’t develop any type of interest in the characters and that we’d be just as happy to get the series off the network as they are. Except that who wants to invest their time and attention to another Mystery of Edwin Drood.

12. Chris Hughes says:

had 1 season here in the uk of hell on wheels havent seen it yet loved that series,hasent returned,so why did they bother putting it on in the first place,never know now what happened after lilly was killed,wish it would come back

13. Lisa says:

So excited but not going to be the same with Common.

• ajintexas says:

Ehh, he is a medicore actor. Besides, he may not have been dead in that scene. I assumed he was, but you know how TV works. All they showed was the dead bear and him laying there. Could’ve still been alive. Unless you read somewhere else that he isn’t coming back? I haven’t seen anything but I might have missed it.

• Lisa says:

I haven’t read anywhere about common not coming back.

• sandy says:

Im so glad its coming back!!!! Yeh . is common dead??? i don’t think so. how will cullen find him 2 save him? I hope the reporter is not back. what will become of Eva? to new York? love anson mount. no better looking actor on the face of the planet. lv u anon mount

• Robert says:

My feeling is Common is still alive. He’ll be found by the indian he let go in the beginning of the episode and nursed back to health. The indian does this out of respect for a great warrior who can kill a bear with his bare hands.

14. Tania says:

Low Winter Sun has potential. I don’t think that it’s an awful series. I do hope that AMC shows some faith and gives this series another shot.

15. Sheldon W. says:

What a shame that this dismal excuse for a show has lasted longer than Deadwood. I’m sure Al Swearengen might have something appropriate to say about that.

16. Marc says:

Glad to hear about Hell on Wheels. As with Copper, the historical overlay on the drama adds to my interest. As for Low Winter Sun, I had them all recorded or my lousy Time Warner Cable DVR which now thinks it is just a cable box. The hard drive is fine but inaccessible and TWC won’t do anything but replace the whole thing, If it gets renewed, I’ll have to catch them on demand if they reappear. But, as, they said on Weekend Update, Low Winter Sun was probably what dies at the end of Breaking Bad.

17. Rich says:

I really like HOW but I REALLY like low winter sun

18. Derek Johnson says:

Low Winter Sun deserves to get canned. I’ve never seen show that was more obviously full of network notes.

19. Bart says:

About time!! I love this show and glad to see it coming back.

20. Heathers says:

I’m glad to hear HOW is renewed. And for those of us who are just civilians, and do not work in the industry or know the language, just what does “full of network notes” mean? I really hope they do bring back Low Winter Sun and give us a better resolution.

21. Tyler says:

Now they should buy the rights to Deadwood of HBO, revive it and have a heck of double pairing

• sandy says:

That would b good. maybe they could clean up the terrible language. id watch it then. how will always b my fav . bring a woman 2 mend cullen heart. the little 17 yr old won’t do. he needs a real woman. me!!! where is lily bell when she’s needed???

22. cindy spangler says:

I saw two episodes of Low Winter Sun because I loved Lennys performance on The Walking Dead as Morgan. He is a cherished character by many fans. Lenny is also set to reappear again on TWD this season but we dont know how many episodes…Low Winter Sun is awful..Lenny was fabulous. Cancel Low Winter Sun and give us Morgan back permamantly….

23. I am so happy it’s coming back and we get to watch more shows I just wish we didn’t have to wait so long for the next season but that’s what happened with breaking bad.

24. Sandy says:

That is great about Hell On Wheels. I have been looking every day to see what was going to come of the show. Very Happy I love the show That I watch it over and over on my Roco

25. Dolores Kitz says:

BEST SHOW VERY ADDICTIVE!I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT EPISODE,THANKS FOR BRINGING BACK HELL ON WHEELS.

26. cattyfan says:

I had been hoping for this for weeks. I was thrilled to get the AMC e-newsletter with the announcement. HOW is one of the best shows on TV…and pretty much the only thing worth watching on Saturdays.

27. CaliKat says:

Just watched the finale of season 3 of hell on wheels. Good stuff but I want to know if common will return in season 4 .

28. Oliver T says:

‘Hell On Wheel ‘ is my favorite show! Sorry to say I just discovered it during the marathon. Common and the bad language gives the show credibility and accuracy to the time period.

29. Lou says:

GREAT NEWS! This show is excellently written and acted. I really wish it was on Sunday night at 10PM, but I’ll take Saturday.

30. Anna Wu says:

Great news. Love this series especially bohannon and common. Even the swede is an excellent character

31. shawn dover says:

Man I am so happy to see they added another season of Hell On Wheels this show is the best western on TV and is so under rated. I hope the sweed gets whats coming to him this season. Poeple PLEASE GO TO NETFLIX AND WATCH FROM THE BEGINNING. You WONT be disappointed!

32. shawn dover says:

BEST WESTERN EVER! Hope to get at least 9 seasons.

33. shawn dover says:

I hope the sweed gets whats coming to him this season! Hell On Wheels is awesome!!!!

34. willie wonka says:

GREAT NEWS!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW…

35. Jenna says:

I am thrilled about the renewal and extra episodes. I can’t wait !!!!!
    YAY !!!!

36. angie says:

Awesome!!!!!! I can’t wait!!!!!

37. Wayne says:

Best western since Silverado!

38. Jim says:

I am looking forward to the fourth season of Hell on Wheels but they should find some creative way of bring back Lilly (my favorite).

39. Jen says:

Yay! Love this show! Looking forward to it’s return. More shows like this and less “reality shows”

40. Bishop Gilmore says:

I love this show I can’t believe there was any chance of getting cancelled!!!!… I hope to see even a 5th season and more and more programming like this old westerns are great good family entertainment especially when you have some historical valuecan’t wait I wish the episodes for start this weekBishop Robert gilmore

41. Cassandra says:

Season 3 was mind-blowingly good. I hope Louise Ellison and Eva get together. They would be so sweet together. <33

42. John says:

Started watching this show last year on the recommendation of my brother in law. Loved it from the start… had to watch all episodes thru season 3 almost non-stop. Even the theme song during the opening credits is great. Highly recommend this show, but… Bohannon lost his cool hat along the way and he needs to get it back. That’s part of his character’s charm…

43. Anna easterday says:

I can’t wait for the new season of hell on wheels.i love good westerns. Does anyone know when the new season starts?

44. Carolyn says:

When is Hell on Wheels returning for its fourth season?????

45. Ann says:

Record all of these shows. But I agree with missing Lily! She was great!

46. J Caster says:

So Happy HOW will be back on. It starts Aug 2, 2014. AMC needs to show those dynamite commercials of HOW prior to show starting, Got my attention & that’s why I started watching it.

47. rims and says:

A typical card in the first series (cards #1 – #160) of the “Wheels” set can be found from dealers
    or online for as little as $1 each. Buying an air compressor can be a pretty expensive investment and with so many brands and types on the market determining which brand and type is the best product to serve your needs requires
    a little bit of research, sized incorrectly or with insufficient options to meet the needs of your specific application and you will know it almost immediately.
    The cars certainly add style and comfort to the whole journey
    while at the same time being a convenient option that can be used.

48. Valecia Johnson says:

Very Happy to know you’re bringing back Hell on Wheels. My family loves this show. Thank You

49. Daniel Padilla says:

I love westerns great cast Hell on Wheels is a great show keep it goingtop notch acting

50. Wanda says: