AMC Renews Hell on Wheels for 'Super-Sized' Season 4 — What About Low Winter Sun?

Get More: Renewals

Hell on Wheels Season 4Here’s some heavenly news for Hell on Wheels fans: AMC is bringing back the period drama for a fourth season — and with an increased episode order to boot, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The series’ recently-concluded third season averaged 3.3 million viewers, a surprisingly strong number considering its shift to the TV graveyard known as Saturday night. To reward its solid performance, AMC has expanded Season 4 (bowing next summer) to 13 episodes — up from 10 for the first three seasons.

“AMC has served passionate Western fans for three decades, so it is particularly gratifying to see these viewers capping off their Saturdays with an original Western on what has historically been a tough night of the week for television,” noted AMC president Charlie Collier in a statement. “Our commitment to the genre is unwavering and we look forward to continuing to super-serve this audience with an expanded fourth season of Hell on Wheels.”

Meanwhile, an AMC rep says no decision has been made on the fate of rookie drama Low Winter Sun.

Comments (66)

• YES!!!!!! This is excellent news. Still a crying shame they killed off Lily, but at least there is a successful Western on television these days.

Comment by Austin Wildcatter (@atxwildcatter) – November 14, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He has a new wife and she’s mighty purty!

Comment by Shaun – November 14, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought the same thing but are they married because the Swede isn’t really a minister?

Comment by Ieshia Jones – January 23, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best news of the day for one of the best shows on TV!!!!! Can’t wait for its return!!

Comment by LisaB – November 14, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wonderful news, I was going to suggest more episodes as we can hardly wait for the next one from one week to the next. Great job writers and cast for Hell on Wheels
      Keep them coming. 4

Comment by Rose Smith – January 12, 2014 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! My compliments to the writers AND the actors. The historical details are pretty accurate too.

Comment by Jenna – January 19, 2014 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When is this on? I can’t seem to find it. Is season 4 over?

Comment by Larry – January 24, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I would also like to know when Season 4 is coming back on?, I can’t seem to find any information on when it is supposed to come back on. Please leave us a post.

Comment by Janet – February 8, 2014 06:30 AM PDT
          • if you find out please let us know. Thank you for your help

Comment by Janet – February 8, 2014 06:32 AM PDT
          • Season 4 starts in April 2014

Comment by Christine Edwards – February 23, 2014 07:34 PM PDT
  • Spoiler: Low Winter Sun gets cancelled. AMC could get better ratings with Talking The Talking Dead – The Walking Dead post show post show.

Comment by Et al – November 14, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny, I had to read that twice though.

Comment by Mel – November 14, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha love it. They could start a reality show about the making of Breaking Bad, it would definitely beat the ratings of the silly security one

Comment by Sara – November 14, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!! Your gut was right Michael, just a week off, Happy about the extra episodes too, :)

Comment by PJL – November 14, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY and with extra episodes too :-) loving this show and Bohannon in particular.

Comment by Boriqua1ny – November 14, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 14, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Mel – November 14, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show would feel lifeless without lilly,but it still has some kick.

Comment by Shaun – November 14, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 was the best season so far, I’d say.

Comment by Teag – November 14, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! Smart move, AMC!

Comment by Ben – November 14, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All right! I like it. Now just come through with a “Glades” 2 hour wrap up movie…

Comment by jimmy – November 14, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never happen. Networks really don’t care about a handful of viewers being upset by a lack of resolution. They just assume they’ll be able to “take you in again” with their next series which they will then cancel without resolution. They assume that, like them, we didn’t develop any type of interest in the characters and that we’d be just as happy to get the series off the network as they are. Except that who wants to invest their time and attention to another Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Comment by queerbec – November 14, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was really sorry to see Magic City cancelled. It was very good. Can’t remember what network that was.

Comment by Jenna – January 19, 2014 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • had 1 season here in the uk of hell on wheels havent seen it yet loved that series,hasent returned,so why did they bother putting it on in the first place,never know now what happened after lilly was killed,wish it would come back

Comment by Chris Hughes – November 14, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited but not going to be the same with Common.

Comment by Lisa – November 14, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ehh, he is a medicore actor. Besides, he may not have been dead in that scene. I assumed he was, but you know how TV works. All they showed was the dead bear and him laying there. Could’ve still been alive. Unless you read somewhere else that he isn’t coming back? I haven’t seen anything but I might have missed it.

Comment by ajintexas – November 14, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t read anywhere about common not coming back.

Comment by Lisa – November 14, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Im so glad its coming back!!!! Yeh . is common dead??? i don’t think so. how will cullen find him 2 save him? I hope the reporter is not back. what will become of Eva? to new York? love anson mount. no better looking actor on the face of the planet. lv u anon mount

Comment by sandy – December 13, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feeling is Common is still alive. He’ll be found by the indian he let go in the beginning of the episode and nursed back to health. The indian does this out of respect for a great warrior who can kill a bear with his bare hands.

Comment by Robert – November 15, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good thought.

Comment by sandy – December 13, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I thought the same thing, and though I love this show… it is a tad predictable.

Comment by art – January 21, 2014 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Low Winter Sun has potential. I don’t think that it’s an awful series. I do hope that AMC shows some faith and gives this series another shot.

Comment by Tania – November 14, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame that this dismal excuse for a show has lasted longer than Deadwood. I’m sure Al Swearengen might have something appropriate to say about that.

Comment by Sheldon W. – November 14, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I enjoyed the first season. It’s a gritty, hardcore cop drama, and I believe a second season would create a solid fan base. The writing and acting were excellent.

Comment by Cliff – November 16, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dismal!!! i sooooo disagree!!!! Deadwood used way toooo much bad language.

Comment by sandy – December 13, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also was a diehard deadwood fan…always hate cancelled shows..

Comment by Christine – February 23, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear about Hell on Wheels. As with Copper, the historical overlay on the drama adds to my interest. As for Low Winter Sun, I had them all recorded or my lousy Time Warner Cable DVR which now thinks it is just a cable box. The hard drive is fine but inaccessible and TWC won’t do anything but replace the whole thing, If it gets renewed, I’ll have to catch them on demand if they reappear. But, as, they said on Weekend Update, Low Winter Sun was probably what dies at the end of Breaking Bad.

Comment by Marc – November 14, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like HOW but I REALLY like low winter sun

Comment by Rich – November 14, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Low Winter Sun deserves to get canned. I’ve never seen show that was more obviously full of network notes.

Comment by Derek Johnson – November 14, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About time!! I love this show and glad to see it coming back.

Comment by Bart – November 15, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to hear HOW is renewed. And for those of us who are just civilians, and do not work in the industry or know the language, just what does “full of network notes” mean? I really hope they do bring back Low Winter Sun and give us a better resolution.

Comment by Heathers – November 15, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now they should buy the rights to Deadwood of HBO, revive it and have a heck of double pairing

Comment by Tyler – November 15, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would b good. maybe they could clean up the terrible language. id watch it then. how will always b my fav . bring a woman 2 mend cullen heart. the little 17 yr old won’t do. he needs a real woman. me!!! where is lily bell when she’s needed???

Comment by sandy – December 13, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw two episodes of Low Winter Sun because I loved Lennys performance on The Walking Dead as Morgan. He is a cherished character by many fans. Lenny is also set to reappear again on TWD this season but we dont know how many episodes…Low Winter Sun is awful..Lenny was fabulous. Cancel Low Winter Sun and give us Morgan back permamantly….

Comment by cindy spangler – November 15, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy it’s coming back and we get to watch more shows I just wish we didn’t have to wait so long for the next season but that’s what happened with breaking bad.

Comment by Melanie Anderson – November 17, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you live under a rock?

Comment by Mel – November 17, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is great about Hell On Wheels. I have been looking every day to see what was going to come of the show. Very Happy I love the show That I watch it over and over on my Roco

Comment by Sandy – November 19, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST SHOW VERY ADDICTIVE!I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT EPISODE,THANKS FOR BRINGING BACK HELL ON WHEELS.

Comment by Dolores Kitz – November 24, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had been hoping for this for weeks. I was thrilled to get the AMC e-newsletter with the announcement. HOW is one of the best shows on TV…and pretty much the only thing worth watching on Saturdays.

Comment by cattyfan – November 25, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the finale of season 3 of hell on wheels. Good stuff but I want to know if common will return in season 4 .

Comment by CaliKat – November 30, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Hell On Wheel ‘ is my favorite show! Sorry to say I just discovered it during the marathon. Common and the bad language gives the show credibility and accuracy to the time period.

Comment by Oliver T – December 16, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS! This show is excellently written and acted. I really wish it was on Sunday night at 10PM, but I’ll take Saturday.

Comment by Lou – December 30, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Love this series especially bohannon and common. Even the swede is an excellent character

Comment by Anna Wu – January 1, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man I am so happy to see they added another season of Hell On Wheels this show is the best western on TV and is so under rated. I hope the sweed gets whats coming to him this season. Poeple PLEASE GO TO NETFLIX AND WATCH FROM THE BEGINNING. You WONT be disappointed!

Comment by shawn dover – January 11, 2014 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST WESTERN EVER! Hope to get at least 9 seasons.

Comment by shawn dover – January 11, 2014 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the sweed gets whats coming to him this season! Hell On Wheels is awesome!!!!

Comment by shawn dover – January 11, 2014 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW…

Comment by willie wonka – January 19, 2014 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled about the renewal and extra episodes. I can’t wait !!!!!
    YAY !!!!

Comment by Jenna – January 19, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!!!!!! I can’t wait!!!!!

Comment by angie – January 20, 2014 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best western since Silverado!

Comment by Wayne – January 23, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to the fourth season of Hell on Wheels but they should find some creative way of bring back Lilly (my favorite).

Comment by Jim – January 27, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Love this show! Looking forward to it’s return. More shows like this and less “reality shows”

Comment by Jen – February 13, 2014 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show I can’t believe there was any chance of getting cancelled!!!!… I hope to see even a 5th season and more and more programming like this old westerns are great good family entertainment especially when you have some historical valuecan’t wait I wish the episodes for start this weekBishop Robert gilmore

Comment by Bishop Gilmore – February 15, 2014 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 was mind-blowingly good. I hope Louise Ellison and Eva get together. They would be so sweet together. <33

Comment by Cassandra – March 2, 2014 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Started watching this show last year on the recommendation of my brother in law. Loved it from the start… had to watch all episodes thru season 3 almost non-stop. Even the theme song during the opening credits is great. Highly recommend this show, but… Bohannon lost his cool hat along the way and he needs to get it back. That’s part of his character’s charm…

Comment by John – March 7, 2014 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for the new season of hell on wheels.i love good westerns. Does anyone know when the new season starts?

Comment by Anna easterday – March 22, 2014 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post