Dracula's Victoria Smurfit Previews 'Brutal,' Bruising Sex Scene With Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Dracula Season 1 Spoilers Victoria SmurfitWhen one of Dracula‘s old, undead pals shows up in this week’s episode of the NBC drama (Friday, 10/9c), Lady Jayne Wetherby wastes no time picking up the visiting vampire’s trail.

Will the huntress’ efforts lead her to discover the true, sunlight-shunning nature of  her lover, Alexander Grayson? And why does the independent Lady Wetherby keep coming back to Grayson when he doesn’t always treat her so well?

TVLine talked all of this — as well as injury-inducing sex scenes, belief-suspending bathtubs and the elusive Lord Wetherby — with series star Victoria Smurfit. Read on for the bloodsucking good time.

RELATED | Exclusive Dracula Video: Vlad, Meet Immortality

TVLINE | For Dracula being a period drama, you have two women – Lady Jayne and Mina – who are subverting gender norms of the time in very interesting ways. Was that something that attracted you to this project?
When I heard it was a costume drama, I thought, “That’s fantastic.” But they took it a stage further and made it much more palatable to modern audiences, because we’re not trying to do Downton here, even though it’s made by the Downton people. We’re not sticking to the details of the [myth] by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve got Veronica Lake hair, I’m swathed in silks and peacock feathers, and we’re making entertainment… As Lady Jayne, I get to be the glamor society queen who expects what she expects when she expects it, thank you very much. But she’s got this other world that exists, that nobody else really knows about, because she works with the Order of the Dragon and, by the way, kills vampires.

TVLINE | What do you think draws Lady Jayne to Alexander ?
The minute Lady Jayne sees this extremely glamorous, handsome entrepreneur, this man who exudes power, money and danger, that is exactly what’s been missing in her life… For eight years, she’s been training other huntsmen for the eventual onslaught of vampires coming back, and they haven’t, and she’s bored. There’s nothing she can’t do, she keeps herself fit – she’s got this dojo with a vampire track down at the bottom of her house where she keeps herself limber — and she’s bored. So the minute this electric man arrives, she’s captivated and she wants him.

TVLINE | It should be noted that your character is one of the only people who gets to have sex in this show.
Thank god! [Laughs] Well I quite like that. To me, she’s the flipside of Dracula, because she’s just as aggressive, brutal and dark as him, and she’s also a terribly physical human being. I mean you can’t kill vampires for a living and not need a release.

RELATED | Stephen Moyer Talks ‘Scary’ NBC Sound of Music Gig

Dracula Season 1 Spoilers Victoria SmurfitTVLINE | She’s the consummate vampire hunter — and yet when she comes face-to-face with the ultimate vampire, she’s doesn’t realize it.
We all have that one completely dodgy bad guy, that you know the minute you meet him that he’s going to steal 10 bucks from your bedside table after he leaves, he’s not going to say thank you, he’s going to leave the door open and he might take your car. [Still,] if he calls for the next booty call, you’d say yes. In my head, [Grayson] was that guy for her.. Her extraordinary flaw is the fact that she thinks that she cannot be beaten, and he does just that, simply by conning her every time.

TVLINE | Are we ever going to see Lord Weatherby? We hear about him being on his sickbed, but I’m not convinced he actually exists.
[Laughs] You won’t see him in this [season], no.

TVLINE | Jonathan Rhys Meyers told us about the sexy, violent scene in tonight’s episode. He ripped your clothes during shooting, and then you cold-cocked him?
I whacked him a good one. [Laughs] …I mean, the amount of shirts I went through — we were decimated by the end of it. It was quite hilarious, but it’s pretty brutal. I have to tell you, I had bruises everywhere… The great thing is, as actors you can trust each other. You’re going to go as far you can go without actually damaging each other. But I did give him a good old belt around the shelf. I can’t be too delicate!

TVLINE | Later on, Lady Jayne snuggles up on him in the bathtub. Does she not notice there’s no heartbeat under her hand?
That’s a very good point. Sometimes, you have to let some stuff slide… Let’s just say that she’s far too busy looking at his lovely chest.

TVLINE | That part of your job may not suck.
When you show up to work and your outfit for the day is a flesh-colored thong, there are moments when you go, “What am I doing?”…But you’re right, to be in a bath with Johnny, it’s not a bad day at the office.

Comments (11)

• Love, love, love this show! Can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode. :)

Comment by Alanna – November 14, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing against the actress but she is my least favorite character on the show. I want Drac to kill her :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 14, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fear not. Its a pretty foregone conclusion that she will be bitten and turned.

Comment by The Kaibosh – November 14, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but will we see that this season … or ever? The ratings are in the dungeon.
      This show is visually stunning and good fun but I don’t think it’s long for this world – pun intended. :D

Comment by grey – November 14, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was never meant to go on. It’s always been billed as a 10-episode limited series.

Comment by alistaircrane – November 14, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show is really good and jrm is hot!

Comment by nada – November 14, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dracula is my favourite new show of the fall season, but I am not surprised it’s struggling in the ratings. NBC gave it the worst-possible timeslot—Fridays at 10—when their core demo is out for the evening! I would have launched it after The Voice on Monday or Tuesday, but I think it would have worked on Wednesday or Thursday as well.

Comment by alistaircrane – November 14, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy sex scene, Batman! Its funny to hear what the actress has to say about it. This is GREAT tv as far as I’m concerned. Suspend reality people, and forget its about Dracula. Just enjoy a rollicking good story. Leave it to JRM to go all-out!

Comment by suzi – November 15, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent storyline, acting, and sets! To hell with the ratings… everyone is talking about this show. JRM is a master of his craft – the man is an artist and each week he leaves us with a yearning to see the next episode. Need another season next year!! Please!!!

Comment by mike – November 26, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People keep saying that Dracula was only supposed to be a ten epub. Mini series, but I’ve read tons of reports that say that JRM signed a contract that has him locked down for years playing Dracula. It can’t be both, either it was planned to be more than one season or they were just gonna see how well it did b4 committing to more seasons. I hope that they give it at least one more season to grow and put it in a better time slot. I love love love JRM and I want this to work for him, for his sake! He is a brilliant actor, to me he’s one of the best of our time. He’s pretty flawless..on too of being a superb actor, he’s gorgeous! I read all the time where people will say Oh, he’s not as good looking as he used to be. Um, what? Even in his worst day he’s still a knock out. He’s gonna get older, that’s just life, but I feel like the older he gets the more ruggedly handsome he gets instead of just being a pretty boy. So much about him reminds me of Johnny Depp. They don’t really look a lot a like, but they both pick good solid interesting roles, they are both intense genius actors,, both are called Jonny by friends,,. JD went through a wild phase when he was younger drinking and tearing up hotel rooms and JRM has been wild the last few years and also has had trouble with alcohol, even their relationships with women are similar where as JD dated Wynona and they were known for their epic fights, JRM had a long term gf Rena and they also were known for their epic fights even in front of other celebs, both are known to date models, both are still gorgeous ( although tbh JD looks like he’s had a face lift and he looked better aging naturally, I hope JRM doesn’t mess with his gorgeous face)..the only thing that JRM hasn’t done similar is dated a super young starlet like amber heard yet! Anyway, I hope that JRM career continues to do well and that Dracula continues. I will say I think Dracula would of done better on a cable network so they could of amped up the sex and danger:) I’m really surprised that a cable network didn’t fight for it. If nothing else they could do like Friday Night Lights did and release the season on Netflix b4 it hits tv… That seemed to work out ok for FNL. Either way, I wish JRM tons of success bc he’s so extraordinary and deserves to be A list all the way.

Comment by brooke99infiniti – December 20, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last I heard, JRM was dating a 24 yr old. Not that she’s too young for a 36 yr old actor but……. I sincerely hope he’s settled down so producers & directors will give him a chance to show what a committed actor he can be. He really does give his “all” to a role. imo he can be funny, creepy, or dangerous – whatever the role requires and be believable. Good luck to him.

Comment by suzi – December 20, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post