Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dips Again Yet ABC Sitcoms Rise, The Originals Hits Highs, POI Ticks Up

Ratings Person of Interest HighThe CW’s The Originals conjured up 2.4 million total viewers this Tuesday night, rising 17 percent to hit a series high.

The Vampire Diaries offshoot also was up two tenths in the demo, matching its series high of 1.1.

Leading out of that, Supernatural (2.35 mil/1.1) inched up 9 percent and two tenths, per finals.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Agents of SHIELD, with 6.7 mil and a 2.2, spied what portends to be its sixth consecutive decline, down 8 and 12 percent. Next week: Thor 2 “crossover”! (Fox notes that Sleepy Hollow this week, for the first time this fall, has outrated ABC’s own buzzy freshman.) Even so, The Goldbergs (5.2 mil/1.7) and Trophy Wife (3.8 mil/1.2) both managed to add eyeballs and tick up in the demo.

RELATED | Hot Video: Meet ‘Quirky’ NCIS Newcomer Ellie Bishop

CBS | NCIS (19.2 mil/3.0) ticked up a tenth, NCIS: LA (14.8 mil/2.4) was rock steady and Person of Interest — which really has evolved into a fantastic, dramatically rich show this season — rose 6 percent and a tenth to 12.5 mil/2.0.

RELATED | NCIS: LA Exclusive: Bones Baddie Andrew Leeds Joins Season 5 in Recurring Role

NBC | The Biggest Loser (6.3 mil/1.8) shed three tenths in the demo, The Voice (11.4 mil/3.4) was steady and Chicago Fire (7.8 mil/2.2) returned up a tenth.

RELATED | The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: ‘Instant’ Karma’s Gonna Get You

FOX | Mindy Project (2.6 mil/1.4) ticked down one tenth in the demo, Dads (3.2 mil/1.2) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.4 mil/1.4) both lost some viewers and slipped two tenths, and New Girl (3.3 mil/1.7) fell three tenths.

1. Dick Whitman says:

On occasion, I’ll have the pleasure of catching Person of Interest shooting scenes here in and around Union Square Park. I love this show and all it’s characters.

2. Dennis says:

Too bad about Shield last nights episode was great the show seems to improve with every new episode.

• Kim R says:

Yes…I really like it and I wasn’t even planning on watching Shield. I like the high tech gadgetry and the humour. Kind of like Get Smart but little more serious. I think it gets better every week as well. :)

• I agree! Sucks that people only gave it a couple of episodes then gave up. They are starting to get their groove now and I truly think it will get better with a bit more time. Come on SHIELD!! We can make it!

3. Lisa says:

I tried Joss, I really did.

• Lala says:

LOL, me too. I really wanted to like this show but it just bores me to tears. Oh well, next time I’ll know better than to get caught up in “buzz”.

• Elyse says:

I wanted to like it… but I just don’t! I actually gave it more episodes than I give most shows.

• ChrisGa says:

I gave it four episodes and then I just couldn’t anymore. It’s not offensively bad or anything like that, it’s just kinda there. And Coulson works much better as a supporting, comic relief character, not a lead.

• grey says:

Count me in with you. It’s not a bad show but it’s like when you cook something and even though you put in all the ingredients, and in the correct portions, and cooked it exactly as the recipe says the end product still tastes like something is missing, you know? I think “AOS” is in need of the writer equivalent of MSG. :-/

• Amanda says:

Me too. I’m sticking with it for this season, but really hoping it improves. The characters just don’t grab me the way I hoped they would and I just don’t like Skye or Ward the wooden agent and they spent so many episodes with a focus on them – ugh. I like Coulson, but the other comments here might be right maybe he’s just only a supporting character and cannot anchor a show. Overall this show needs tweaking, hopefully it’s not too late by the time someone actually does it.

4. Kat says:

disappointed to hear that SHIELD dropped again…the show has gotten pretty good. last night’s episode was great. Fitz vs the door? fantastic.

• Christina says:

OMG the Fitz-door scene. SO great.
      SHIELD needs to stop hemorrhaging, it’s not as bad as it’s being made out to be. Yes, it’s not as good as the buzz, but it’s improved these past few episodes.

• John 1138 says:

Agree about the main challenge being the distance between the buzz and the show’s actual accomplishments. I suspect the “buzz: attracted the wrong audience (now expecting the superheroes) and repelled possible appreciators of it’s more procedural nature.

5. I guess next week will really be the the test for SHIELD, with the much hyped Thor aftermath episode if it still drops in ratings they are in danger of not getting a second season.

• Alice says:

But if you haven’t seen Thor 2 yet- it pretty much begs “Don’t watch me until after you see the movie or you’ll be spoiled.” So it could have the opposite effect for the less active Marvel fans who don’t rush out to see the movie in it’s first 2 weeks. Now we shouldn’t watch the show.

• LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

That annoys me of the timing of the Thor 2/AoS crossover…a reason why I temporarily stopped watching AoS (I’ll just binge watch in summer after Thor 2 comes out on DVD). They should’ve done it after it’s been out on DVD for a while)

6. Dani says:

trophy wife is so good!

7. mike says:

cw doing good Tuesdays

8. Greg says:

This clinches it. With SHIELD its a case of too little, too late. The last two episodes were very good, but by now it has lost audiences by the droves.

Whedon’s MO of not developing characters right from the get go appears to be the death knell for SHIELD

• liz says:

I really dont think thats Whedon’s MO – but more from the way tv shows are expected to be structured these days. Networks want shows that their first few episodes are like the pilot over and over again so new people can jump in after the ‘buzz’ has kicked up. But that system isnt working anymore. It just alienates the people who are already watching.
      Sleepy Hollow didn’t do that, and its doing pretty well. Its second episode recapped a bit of the pilot, but not much and then each episode after has just built on what came before – not acted as more psuedo-pilots. Similarly, Beauty and the Beast was forced into that setup and once it got its season one backorder, GONE was the procedural element and every episode became a connected season-long story.
      Why networks refuse to adjust to the new viewing styles is beyond me. People like HAVING to watch every week and long storylines. So I think more of the blame falls on the system than on Whedon himself.

9. Eric7740 says:

Way to go Originals!!! Great episode last night!!! So sad for SHIELD, a show that had all that hype and couldn’t deliver!!!

10. wrstlgirl says:

I tried to watch Shield last night but found myself easily distracted with other things, I just couldn’t stay focused, it wasn’t interesting. I have it on the dvr though so I may get back to it at some point. I’m trying too Lisa :-) I just don’t know why. On a much higher note, I loved Chicago Fire, great episode all the way through. Glad it’s back, I missed it the last couple weeks.

11. SHIELD is getting really good, and I hope people who gave up early on will come back. The writers are starting to find their groove, and taking the focus off Ward and Skye has helped tremendously. The character arcs are getting better, and they are using Melinda May more (we need flashbacks, ABC!!). It has so much potential, and I have faith.

• Drew says:

At this point, I think a dramatic rise in ratings would be a minor miracle. The ratings need to stabilize more than anything else. The problem is that the winter break is coming up and more people are probably going to drop the show than pick it up. I don’t know how long they plan to be on hiatus, but the longer the break, the worse for the show. Really anything past January will probably kill the show this season, while I actually have been expecting it to be renewed for next year despite the dropping ratings (Disney wants the show to work as publicity for their movies after all)

• liz says:

I agree its going to get renewed – they aren’t going to give up this easily. I think that’ll help them. A dvd set will be out, people can catch up and the Powers that Be can reflect on what went wrong/what went well and then come at us with a great second season.
        It also might not hurt them to throw a character or two from the series into one of the movies. Other than Coulson. Melinda May seems to be the best option. Put her in the next Avengers or heck, maybe she’s in Captain America. Get some reverse crossover attention.

12. wrstlgirl says:

Also, I’m loving The Originals. Another great ep last night.

• ChrisGa says:

The Originals is the best thing going on the CW right now(I know, faint praise). And Elijah, as embodied by the great Daniel Gillies, is one of the best written characters on television.

13. Carrie says:

Why aren’t people watching “S.H.I.E.L.D.”?? It’s such a breath of fresh air. How disappointing.

• mac says:

because to me it felt like a badly written sturday morning cartoon with too much hype behind it. I gave up after episode 3 because the show did NOTHING for me.

I loved Buffy and Angel (as well as Firefly and Dollhouse) but SHIELD is just horrible in my eyes.

• Eric7740 says:

I agree Mac!!! I was done after episode 3 too. Horrible writing and acting, (and I love Ming Na and Clark Gregg) Buffy, was Joss’s best, IMO. I just think that Joss has too much on his plate at the moment, and SHIELD fell by the way side.

• Miffay says:

Because it’s a crappy, boring stinkbomb.

• Robin says:

The show does really well in DVR viewings. Usually goes up to 4.4 range. I’m not worried.

14. Liz says:

The originals and Chicago Fire rocked last night!!! Can’t wait to see more of both shows!

• Jon says:

Agree about Chicago Fire! It was fantastic last night. So emotional…I have to admit I was tearing up in the last 5 minutes. Love that show!

15. Drew says:

B-99 and New Girl were great last night!

16. HeatherC says:

Happy for Chicago Fire to have returned from that break to a decent number! I loved the episode last night (Taylor Kinney was fantastic) and I’m SO happy it’s back for a while with new episodes. I’ve really missed it the last few weeks! I’m also happy for The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife which have become two of my favorite new shows this year. Glad ABC all ready gave them full season orders and that they seem to be finding their audiences now! =)

17. GS says:

I love The Originals and it’s really getting it’s groove in storytelling! I also love The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife. Both are very funny and I hope they survive what seems to be the ABC curse.

18. Logan says:

SHIELD has become a really good show, only reason I can see why it continues to drop is because people were expecting iron man, Thor, CA, and Nick Fury to be on there every single week and that was never the plan. It’s just set in the same universe with occasional crossovers. I wish people would give it a chance and just throw out that it’s even part of the marvel cinematic universe

• Greg says:

Well that’s hard to do when the next episode is tied in with the recent Thor movie

• Apples says:

The first 4 episodes were badly written, with clunky dialogue, wooden acting and heavy-handed teambuilding “lessons”. I quit watching then. I’ve heard subsequent eps are better, but I’m not motivated to tune back in.

• Drew says:

The complaints that I’ve seen are more about bad characters and poor writing. If those things were stronger, nobody would care that Iron Man wasn’t on the show. If people are still thinking “Where’s Captain America?” after this many episodes, the show is in trouble.

• C. says:

Thank you! It’s frustrating when people keep saying that those who have stopped watching are only whining because SHIELD is not like a Marvel movie… Bland characters are the main reason many people gave up on the show so early (mainly Ward and Skye, and isn’t there a problem somewhere when the leads are the ones you can’t get invested in?). That and yes, the writing..SHIELD could easily be set in any other universe than Marvel, that’s how generic it is.

19. Ashley says:

People are really giving up on SHIELD fast. I think they waited too long to focus on the more interesting characters. People just really aren’t that into Skye and Ward.

• Greg says:

I agree. When I first saw the pilot, the thing that interested me was the dynamic between Fitz and Simmons. The seemed like brother and sister and yet there was a sense that UST could develop. And what happened when they started to shine some light into that relationship? The show got interesting.

• Also, Coulson and Melinda May’s relationship is awesome. They have an intense, quiet kind of relationship that reflects both trust and respect and yet being aware of each other’s limitations. I love every scene that they are in together. Actually, any scene with Melinda May is better. I agree with a poster above that they should work her into the movies. I want it in the next Avengers movie that they find out that Coulson is still alive. That would be excellent. I foresee Melinda having to defend Coulson from the pissed off Avengers when they find out he survived and nobody told them. I also think that Tony will figure out that he is just a life model decoy of the real Phil who did actually die. Just my theory. There are so many more interesting relationships on the show I’m glad they are focusing on them. Skye is even interesting when she is interacting with Phil or Simmons. Just not with Ward.

20. Lala says:

The Originals should do more crossover episodes, it seems to be working for them. May I suggest Caroline next time…..

21. dude says:

I may be the only one but SHIELD is exactly what I thought it’d be and I’ve never thought it needed to change. I’ve always liked it.

22. Apples says:

I’m one who gave up on SHIELD and I have no interest in coming back. B99 is one of the best freshman shows of the year, I hope it ticks up in the finals and finds a steady audience.

23. kd83954 says:

A friend and I marathoned The Trophy Wife over the weekend and I gotta say, it’s incredibly funny! The writing and the acting is top notch (the dynamic duo of Bert and Warren is too much fun). I haven’t watched the other Tuesday ABC comedies so I’m not sure what the feel of those shows are but Trophy Wife has a Modern Family feel to it; I wonder why ABC didn’t pair the two up? I would think the ratings would shoot up if it was following the monster that is MF. What’s currently airing after MF?

24. Babygate says:

After last week, SHIELD was officially off my DVR. I started watching live, then DVR but now it’s not even worth my time. It’s just bad. Honestly, the writing on any of these superhero franchises is not that great. It’s full of cliches and unrealistic dialogue. But you overlook that because the action is good and the characters are compelling. But in this case you’ve got nothing. I understand we were never going to get the superheros, but we don’t even get the cool gadgets. And the characters are horribly bland and have zero chemistry. I tried. ABC is my network, but I just couldn’t. The only show on Tuesdays that I watch is The Goldbergs which actually makes me laugh out loud. It’s like The Middle on adrenaline. I enjoy it every single time. Person of Interest and Chicago Fire are pretty great. Glad they are doing well.

25. Sarah says:

OMG Fox, more specifically New Girl.

26. Isis71 says:

Last nights Agents of Shield was really good, much better then it has been. I actually chuckled out loud a couple of times. I hope they stick with it a little longer, they need a big story arc with a super villain and all will be good. On another note, I am ecstatic that Supernatural is up again. Love me some Winchesters.

27. Et al says:

So happy Goldbergs and Trophy went up. Last night’s Goldbergs was especially good.

28. Alex says:

SHIELD is getting much better. But I agree and was one of those people that were really disappointed in the beginning. The producers made some huge mistakes: lack of more familiar names & characters from the Marvel universe (use C level characters), Ward should be the muscle of the group not the focus and the character and casting of Skye almost singlehandeddly sunk the show. Putting more focus on Coulson, Fitz & Simmons was the best thing they could’ve done. It can still recover but it’s going to take the mouth to mouth buzz to build up again.

• Babygate says:

Last week they put the focus on FitzSimmons and this week the ratings tanked. Coincidence? I for one hated that dynamic from episode 1. You can barely understand what they are saying between the accents and the techno babble and they are just boring. Never liked them and always felt they should have stayed in the background. Not that it matters, I gave up on the show already.

• CBWBDK1 says:

The whole cast is terrible! They needed at least one big name. Coulson can’t carry a show. He’s not leading material. He’s the funny guy that shows up a couple of times in a movie, nothing more.

• I disagree. Coulson isn’t a “funny guy”. He’s a badass, who happens to yes, be funny. Coulson is one of SHIELD’s best agents, which is why we saw so much of him in the movies. This show is /about/ SHIELD. He’s the perfect person to take the lead.

29. Britt says:

Does anyone else think that Jillian “cheating” on The Biggest Loser was just an excuse to bring Rueben back on the show? I mean this isn’t here first time on the show, so it seems suspect that all of a sudden, she’s giving her team caffeine supplements.

30. Meghan says:

Everyone who bailed on SHIELD after the third episode? You can go back now, it’s gotten better. I promise.

31. Jared says:

Awesome news for THE ORIGINALS!

32. Maria says:

Matt, your observation about POI evolving into a “fantastic, dramatically rich show this season” is spot-on.

• spmsmith says:

Amen – it’s criminally offensive how this show is ignored by the press. My favourite show, neck and neck with Game of Thrones.

33. sarah says:

Great news for Originals, Chicago Fire (which was so great) and Person of Interest (which was great too).

34. Alice says:

Way to go Sleepy Hollow. Little, bizarre show that could. :)

35. David says:

Didn’t watch the Originals last night, i am not excited for Tyler to start so i skipped it. will watch it tonight though. I am excited the ratings are going up. Disappointed by New Girl but I can already tell, Coach is going to ruin this show. There is a reason his character was cut and recast. I didn’t watch lasts night but I think lasts weeks episode with him back was awful.

• Radha says:

Uh, Coach was not cut and recast. Coach had to leave the show because he already was involved with Happy Endings and the show got renewed unexpectedly in the 11th hour. Winston is a WHOLE OTHER BLACK PERSON. Not Coach 2.0.

36. steven says:

Well Shield, get ready to meet No Ordinary Family up in TV heaven.

37. sarah says:

Let the countdown begin until SHIELD is cancelled! I tried watching the first episode and it was not as great as they made it out to be. They really pushed so hard do that show before it aired as the best fall show and it has seemed to be a big let down.

38. Jen says:

The Mindy Project is just getting better and better! It used to be that New Girl was priority of the two, but Mindy has taken a huge lead. I actually deleted New Girl last night before I even finished watching.

39. ollie says:

Yay for the originals and supernatural. Super great for poi but I disagree , I think it has always been fantastic and rich in story. They know how to do mythology without beating you over the head with it. It would be great if more people gave it a chance and watch it. It’s nothing like the normal procedure shows on cbs. Can’t wait to see the next 2 episodes, so worried for carter and fusco.

40. SK says:

I, too, have really tried watching Shield even though I never saw any of the Marvel movies. So it’s not the lack of superheroes that is making me not want to watch it anymore. I was on the fence for the first few episodes but I think last night’s episode might be it for me. I really do not like Skye at all. She annoys the hell out of me. Too bad, because I do like the others.

41. Jimpy says:

A thought or two on SHIELD via a digression. I was reading an article on Arsinio Hall, one TV exec said the show was in a death spiral. Someone countered that he was just trying to find his audience. The reply to that was, he had his audience on day one and everything he’s done has lost more and more of them. I think this may be happening here.

In part I feel too many people thought SHIELD was going to be something it wasn’t, a superhero show. It was never promoted as such and those involved always said it was going to, well, about the agents of SHIELD. Normal people in extraordinary situations. I have seen quite a bit of chatter on the internet about cameos and crossovers. Few of which happened and this alienates a section of the fan base that wasn’t looking at the show with a sense what it really was.

One place that the show’s promotion may have hurt itself was the conspicuous use of Cobie Smulders in the promo for the pilot. I was going to make a joke that maybe they should send Thor to beat up How I Met Your Mother and take her back, but it occurred to me that I’d much rather see Robin Scherbatsky than Maria Hill at this point.

Two shows from now is a key week, they are going to have to grab and hold a lot of people with next weeks crossover. I’ll be watching, but not live, assuming I’m not tied up late at work I’ll be watching NCIS.

A final note, all that SHIELD has done thus far is make me dust off my Firefly DVD collection and watch it again.

42. Andreia says:

The Originals is PHENOMENAL ! this series has a great storyline and amazing characters.
    Joseph Morgan who plays Klaus is a brilliant actor. Congrats to him and all cast and crew, the show is really great.

43. DavidSask says:

Is ABC the new Fox with renewing comedies with low ratings, Trophy Wife is lower than Happy Endings?!! The Shield should not be back for second season, even if ABC owns it!

44. Hopefully people that may have written SHIELD off after the first couple episodes give it another shot. It’ has steadily improved in quality.

45. OnceFan316 says:

I Think Shield is just in a Crappy Time slot its up against NCIS that’s not a show any show wants to go up against if it gets Renewed for a 2nd Season I think they either need to change the time that it is on or change the day that it on. I think getting better with each episode but it doesn’t help that it goes up against that juggernaut of NCIS

46. Cee says:

SHIELD is ok-ish I love coulson, May, and the 2 Brits they have. Ward I’m indifferent to. Now Skye I think she’s a really big problem w/ the show. At least for me. I dread seeing her. Everything seemed to revolve around her then her and ward which is a bad idea. The casting of Skye isn’t that great honestly. She’s annoying!!! If they want to keep the character on they need to recast her w/ a stronger actress or at least a believable bad ass. I can’t remember the actresses name but she played Alex on Nikita. She’s be great as Alex and the actress is great

47. Charlotte says:

I thought this week was the best episode for Agents of shield! I really hope that people keep watching and will last longer than one season.

48. cj says:

Person of interest is amazing. I was worried with all the characters they have this year but they nail it. It’s like the opposite of shield. So well written that it elevates the show.beyond its concept and roots whereas shield has such bad writing it brings it down. No sympathy… Jeff Loeb is a loser and nepotism doesn’t pay.

49. Mikael says:

I’m a huge Marvel fan, so I wanted to love this show, and I’ve been defending it, saying that’s a slow burn and gets better each week, but it’s still in “ok” status. I hope that the back 9 is when we’ll see them having tweaked the show. Skye & Ward being the focus was a horrible decision. They could have used characters from the massive library of Marvel characters instead of making up new ones. I have a feeling that the announced Netflix shows featuring actual superheroes will be better-received. SHIELD would benefit from adding at least 1 superhero and maybe having a big plot instead of being a procedural. Fringe learned that lesson halfway through their 1st season and it became a great show. Season 2 and 3 were amazing! Sleepy Hollow set up a mythology immediately and it worked too. SHIELD has made a few mistakes. I just hope it’s not too late.