TVLine Items: NBC Orders Maya Rudolph Variety Project, Totally Biased Cancelled and More

MayaRudolphVariety is the spice of life — and Maya Rudolph is bringing her special brand of it back to primetime.

NBC has ordered a pilot for a variety series toplined by the Saturday Night Live/Up All Night vet, our sister site Deadline reports.

The project — exec-produced by SNL boss Lorne Michaels — is slated to air as a special following the Winter Olympics.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• FXX has cancelled Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell, Deadline reports. The low-rated late-night program will air its final original episode this Thursday.

Laura Prepon is back for even more Black. The Orange Is the New Black star was previously slated to appear in just one Season 2 episode of the Netflix hit, however Buzzfeed has learned that she’ll return for four of the comedy’s upcoming 13 installments.

RELATEDOrange Is the New Black Promotes Actress

• After 28 seasons of the same ol’ same ol’, The Real World is switching things up — starting with its name. Per EW.com, the MTV staple’s upcoming San Francisco-set cycle, titled Real World: Ex-Plosion, finds seven strangers experiencing a typical season — until they return from a one-day trip to find their exes have moved in.

• NBC will preempt The Blacklist on Monday, Nov. 18, and will air in its place a special clip-show episode of The Voice, TV By The Numbers reports.

RELATED | Orange Is the New Black Submitting as Drama, Not Comedy, for Globes, Emmys

• Lifetime has given the green light to Under the Gunn, a new fashion competition series hosted by — you guessed it — Project Runway‘s Tim Gunn. Runway alumni Mondo Guerra, Anya Ayoung-Chee and Nick Verreos will act as mentors on the show, which finds the aforementioned trio coaching teams of designers until only one is left standing. Designer Rachel Roy, celebrity stylist Jen Rade and Marie Claire senior fashion editor Zanna Roberts Rassi will act as judges.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I still don’t understand why Laura Prepon wasn’t contracted for a second season. She was much more likeable than Jason Biggs’ terrible Larry (who, PS, was NOTHING like the jerk on the show), and I was really pulling for some Alex/Piper romancing. Of course, happy couples don’t sell shows… but I didn’t want her to LEAVE!

• Leigh says:

Co-signed. If her presence in only 4 episodes for *this season* means she will, indeed, return for Season 3, then fine. I can deal with the Alex deprivation. But to never have her back in the show would really alter my excitement for OITNB overall. Just bein’ honest.

• Annie says:

Forget Jason Biggs’ character, Alex is a better and more interesting character than Piper.

2. DL says:

Aww no Blacklist this Monday? The preview for next episode looked amazing!

• Larc says:

They are preempting quality for junk, but that’s nothing new for NBC.

• tara17 says:

I’m amazed they’re postponing the fantastic Blacklist for a clip show… of The Voice?? Blerg.

• Delirious says:

I really don’t get why they tout the upcoming episode, which really seems to be quite huge, and then preempt it for a Voice clip show. I wish I knew the reasoning for that.

Especially considering they would be up against episode 2 of FOX’s Almost Human, if I’m not wrong, and you could battle such an episode with a bang?

3. Poppy says:

Dear MTV, when you have to change up the Real World, it may be time to throw in the towel.

4. gdv says:

Yay! More Tim Gunn in my life!

5. Daisy says:

Totally Biased was way too new to be able to carry late night for a new network. Moving it to FXX was a mistake.

6. Metoo says:

Another Voice clip show NBC? You’re trying really hard to kill The Blacklist, aren’t you?

• Jon says:

Geez…this is the first break The Blacklist has taken since its premiere. And it’s for one week. Given that there are only 22 episodes for a nine-month season, what else are they supposed to do? I hardly think this will “kill” the show.

7. Chris says:

No The Blacklist next week has me very disapointed, It’s my favorite new show, NBC must be trying to streach out the remaining episodes. It’s the only thing that makes sense.Stupid move really.. I guess I won’t be watching NBC at all next week.

8. Aprilcot26 says:

NBC finally has a hit (that isn’t The Voice) and they preempt it for…The Voice. They’re losing my eyeballs Monday.

9. C4 says:

Maya Rudolph is not funny or entertaining so I don’t understand why she would get a show. Lorne Michaels seems to be very loyal to his old SNL cast.

• Tom B says:

Oh, see, I always thought she was hilarious and fantastically talented, but thanks for clearing that up for me! Hadn’t realized how wrong I was all these years.

10. bonesfan says:

so mad about the blacklist being preempted. .ugh..especially since it’s for a stupid clip show.

11. Sheila says:

Why is Blacklist being preempted? Are they trying to stretch out the season? It’s doing okay ratings-wise, right?

12. Jillian says:

I have been watching the Real World since the 8th season and I am kinda mad that MTV is changing it. If you’re going to change it, just cancel it and keep the challenges, those perform better anyways and they’re more enjoyable. If they were to do another Fresh Meat they could make the challenge last until season 30 and then end it there.

As for OITNB, Alex was my favorite character in season 1 (along with Taystee) so I am pretty upset that they’re not bringing Laura Prepon back for the whole season. Piper is super boring and shallow and just not a strong lead for a show whose supporting characters are incredible. It literally feels like Piper is just a plot point for each of the supporting stars around her.

13. Androme says:

For those who are pissed that The Blacklist is pre-empted next week:
    IT’S ONLY FOR ONE WEEK. You can’t expect one show to air all episodes in a row; They have to be stretched out throughout the season. And yet you act like someone killed their parents. I know someone else explained it already, but it needed to be said. You all know better.

14. Bob says:

Is Maya Rudolph going to stay un-pregnant long enough to have a show??? Seems like every time she gets going with a project, she ends up pregnant and the show gets canned. Coincidence? I think not.

15. Lara says:

That’s why I hate NBC. Take the one good show you have on the air for reality crap that no one likes. WTF?!

16. Alice says:

Pre-empting my favorite new show Blacklist. I am so annoyed, I hate the Voice!! Oh’ well I will have to watch Castle on ABC!! I usually DVR it, but not this nite!

17. JenInChicago says:

Come on….NBC already pre-empted Parks and Rec’s Halloween episode – on FREAKING Halloween and now another great show for more of The Voice? I know you have t o milk that cash cow for as long as it’s viable, but if you keep pulling on that teet, it’s gonna come up dry.