Hot Video: Meet NCIS Newcomer Ellie Bishop

She’s “quirky” and “determined,” and she’s on track to join Leroy Jethro Gibbs’ team.

Emily Wickersham makes her NCIS debut next Tuesday, Nov. 19, and TVLine has the new promo touting the newcomer’s arrival.

RELATED | NCIS Boss Previews Ellie Bishop’s Debut, Three Returns and More

Wickersham, whose previous credits include The Bridge and The Sopranos, plays Eleanor “Ellie” Bishop, an NSA analyst who two years ago predicted a security breach that comes true when SecNav is bugged during a confidential briefing. To suss out the snoop, she’ll at first work alongside Gibbs’ NCIS team, then ultimately score a full-time gig. (Wickersham in turn was recently promoted to series regular on TV’s most watched drama.)

Check out the new CBS promo, then read on for more:

Loading video...

RELATED | NCIS: New Orleans Casting Update via Matt’s Inside Line

“[Bishop] possesses an interesting mind, an intellectual, smart way to approach doing what this team does — not with kicks and punches and knocking down doors but by really thinking,” show boss Gary Glasberg told TVLine. “She’s very much a thinker.”

She’s also a person with “interesting quirks and idiosyncracies in the way that she processes and what she does while she thinks,” Glasberg says. “Emily really brought some fun stuff to the table in terms of who this character is and how she works.”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (56)

• Thank you! Loved the TV preview and this one even more since it was a tad bit longer. I can’t wait to meet her since from the preview I like her already “Got any food around here?”.

Comment by Joni – November 12, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she will be great :D

Comment by Mel – November 12, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m usually not one to judge on 30 second promos but….I already like her.

Comment by Wheelz (@Joey_C523) – November 12, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is DULL DULL and BOREING!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Janell Walker – November 14, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL – considering you haven’t seen her yet, that’s a bit premature….

Comment by as524 – November 14, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least most of the people that don’t like Ziva had 8 years to decide & didn’t make a snap judgement like you & others!

Comment by BJG – November 14, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to meeting her. I like quirky!

Comment by ncisfan – November 12, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited to see her debut! She seems very interesting and very original. Can’t wait!

Comment by Rachel – November 12, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! I think she’s going to work out just fine!

Comment by tejas (@tejasjulia) – November 12, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just based on that, I like her so far. Which….color me pleasantly surprised. I didn’t have high expectations.

Comment by JC – November 12, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested to see how she turns out, but I did they really need to throw the fact that she’s apparently quirky in our faces? Show, don’t tell…

Comment by Lola – November 12, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like quirky. Can’t wait to Move On and meet the new probie!!

Comment by BJG – November 12, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, we had Tiva, so now will we have Bony?

Comment by dan – November 12, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. No, my understanding is Bishop is happily married to a lawyer.

Comment by BJG – November 12, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep! Ellie is happily married to an NCIS lawyer.

Comment by Joni – November 12, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops, mean to type NSA but typed NCIS out of habit.

Comment by Joni – November 12, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks interesting and it looks like Gibbs will choose her rather than being ordered to take her. Can’t wait.

Comment by Patricia – November 12, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not bad, l like her too.

Comment by Annie – November 12, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing that cracks me up about the promo is that Tony is like why did you hit him with car and we all know that both Ziva and Kate would have pulled a move like that in the right situation.

I like her already, but seriously people either pluck her eyebrows or have revert back to her very obvious brown hair because her eyebrows being the wrong color is really obvious.

Comment by Alicia – November 12, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • people like you are why young girls feel they are held up to extremely high standards… WHO CARES!!!

Comment by Britty – November 13, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would it have killed her to fix her eyebrows? It looks horrible!!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – November 13, 2013 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have fair hair but darker eyebrows. No big deal. Going after someone’s looks is really low class.

Comment by Joni – November 13, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My daughter has natural blonde hair and brown eyebrows, so it is possible that Emily is actually a blonde.

Comment by Ann – November 15, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she’s going to be a refreshing change for the show. I like her already!

Comment by Britt – November 12, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First impression’s a good one.

Nice follow on to this week’s episode.

Comment by John 1138 – November 12, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In case anyone didn’t hear it, her NSA job is to “dream up threats that haven’t happened yet” not that she dreamed that it happened.

Comment by Joni – November 12, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Food in the morgue? How… original (sarcasm intended).

Comment by Jon – November 12, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well yes. :-) In ‘Power Down’ NCIS employees were storing their food in one of the body drawers. Besides, she was making the statement in general about NCIS not asking if there was food in the morgue.

Comment by Joni – November 13, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping she strikes up a strong friendship with Abby. I miss the girl power like Abby & Kate used to have. I like the look of her. Seems like she’ll be a great fit for the team.

Comment by Kate – November 12, 2013 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you pause the video on the bullet-proof vest that Gibbs hands to Bishop, you can see that it has a bullet hole where Kate took a bullet for Gibbs right before she died. I may be wrong, but it looks like that was Kate’s vest.

Comment by Brittany – November 12, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I can see there is a hole in the vest.

Comment by Daniel – November 13, 2013 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that is very fitting! If you recall, when Gibbs gave Ziva her first NCIS hat she asked him why it had a hole in it and he said “venilation”! I think it’s his way of breaking in the newbie and making them aware of what they’re getting into.

Comment by guest – November 13, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not Kate’s vest. If there’s a hole in it from a bullet, that means the bullet went through and would have injured or kill the wearer. It might be a reference to it though. You don’t continue to wear a bullet proof vest when it’s been breached because it doesn’t offer as much protection anymore.

Comment by steve – November 20, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The bullet went through the material but it didn’t penetrate the armor. I still think it was Kate’s vest with all the other references to Kate. But then again, that’s just my opinion.

Comment by BJG – November 20, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, I think Abbey is quirky, intelligent and a caring person. I don’t think you need another quirky person. You need someone more stable, like a Ziva and Kate. She looks annoying- of course there is no replacement for Ziva- Does Gibbs really need someone like this on his team; she doesn’t seem very professional either. I think she should just get a trial run at how well she connects with the team. I think you should have Catherine Bell join the team; she is one classy actress.

Comment by paula – November 13, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since WHEN was Ziva ever stable?! Her life was a mess, her boyfriends all turned out to be evil, and she had severe anger management issues. I think the new girl looks great and I’m happy to give her a chance.

Comment by Jeox – November 13, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well since she’s been promoted to series regular she very obviously already connected with the team – off camera – which is the most important part.

& ziva? stable? in what fan fic….that was the MOST unbalanced character ever created, written & portrayed on screen.

Comment by as524 – November 13, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Catherine Bell joined, I would stop watching for sure.

Comment by Jeannie C (@JeannieC83) – November 13, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already hate her! Hope she dies soon!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – November 13, 2013 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And people who didn’t care for Ziva/Tiva are called Haters – unbelievable.

Comment by BJG – November 13, 2013 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole quirky thing brings to mind Vincent D’Onofrio’s character from L&O: CI–which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I won’t make any decisions on Ellie until we’ve gotten to ‘know’ her a little better. But I will admit that the NCIS mojo has felt a bit off for me w/o Ziva.

Comment by SHL – November 13, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the glimpse & can’t wait to see the whole thing next week…

Hoping Ellie joining the team ends the endless mourning, whining & gnashing of teeth over she who chose to leave. It’s past time that the show, cast & characters moved on

Comment by as524 – November 13, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who are you referring to? Besides one or two comments about the show feeling off without Ziva, for the most part negative comments have come from people like you who are still putting down a character who is no longer on the show. Die hard Ziva fans have been mostly silent since many aren’t watching anymore. I miss her but I
      am looking forward to meeting Bishop. There will be no crying and gnashing of
      teeth on my part. I’ve moved on. Perhaps
      those who dislike her should move on too
      instead of constantly talking about how
      much they didn’t like Ziva on a weekly
      basis. You won. Shes gone. Stop beating
      the dead horse. And this is the first time I’ve
      made any comments since she left.

Comment by guest – November 13, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Obviously you don’t read many other sources or get around much in the NCIS fanbase if you haven’t heard or seen the goings on of the ‘campaign’ and other activities on line….

& I highly doubt ‘die hard ziva fans’ are silent because they’ve quit watching….they are anything but quiet

Here’s hoping once Ellie debuts there is no more mentions anywhere of the ex character or anything else associated with her

Comment by as524 – November 13, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am on message boards and have been reading them for a couple of years now. I am referring to this season’s episodes. Ziva fans, for the most part talk about missing her without criticizing other characters. You, however, have shown up on these pages on a weekly basis slamming a character that is no longer on the show. Believe me, I’ve read all your hateful comments. And fyi, on Cote de Pablo fan message boards several people have stated that they are no longer watching.

Comment by guest – November 13, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Surely you know that what people say & what they do are 2 very different things…unless you’re hinting that oh so many fans returned to the show once a certain character was written off….

Beyond that, if you’ve frequented boards & other social media areas since July then you already know the very awful behavior of many ziva and/or tiva fans within the fandom against the network, TPTB and the cast….it has been, by far, worse than anything you could ever claim that I’ve said about a FICTIONAL character.

Comment by as524 – November 13, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
  • I stopped watching NCIS (seen all the previous seasons and 1-6 multiple times) after the Ziva leaving announcement because I am a huge Tiva shipper (and even bigger Tony fan) that felt TPTB blew it by not getting Tiva together when it should have happened in S7 (won’t go down that dark path :)).

I have only been reading the recaps this season to follow. But after this promo I think i might give it a try.

But those eyebrows, please dye them!

Comment by TonyisAwesome – November 13, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t think gibbs tim and tony need anyone the three of them have been doing great on there own. if anyone the coastguard women would have been great her and gibbs have chemistry

Comment by barbara – November 13, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To all my fellow Ziva lovers, please do not take out your frustration on new cast member Emily Wickersham. Mean comments are rude and unnecessary. Diane Neal, who plays Agent Borin, is good friends with Cote and asked on Twitter for those of us who miss Ziva to please be nice to the new girl as it is hard to be the new
    kid on the block, especially when there are
    big shoes to fill. And Michael Weatherly
    said that Cote is very happy and she feels
    like she made the right decision by leaving. He also said it wasn’t about money but that she needed a break. I don’t think Cote
    would like us to be mean spirited. It’s time
    for us to pull up our boots and move on. If
    you are a true fan and want to support Cote then this is what we need to do. At least it
    is in my opinion.

Comment by guest – November 13, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nicely put. she had a hard time filling Kates shoes and kate was dead let alone that shes still alive and will have to kinda fight for her right to be there.

Comment by Angel – November 19, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why would Ellie have to fight for her right to be there? Cote/ziva quit & now the show is moving on…with any luck, Gary will quit the idiotic references to the empty desk or trying to hint at Tony being upset due to ziva…way past time for the team to move on…should have happened by ep 5

Comment by as524 – November 19, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel the same way. Cote chose to leave. Yes, we miss her but if she felt it was in her best interest to do so then we should be supportive of that. I’m hoping that Cote gets the break she feels she needs and hopefully will be ready and willing to return in the future at least for a few guest spots. If not, I just want to wish her the best at whatever else she chooses to do. It is definitely time to move on. It might have been a bit easier if we knew last season that Cote was leaving as fans would have had more time to adjust. However, I’m looking forward to giving Emily a chance to see what she can do. The show will be different but I’m hoping still fun. Also, I don’t think Cote or anyone else from NCIS would like us to be mean spirited towards Emliy.

Comment by marysue – November 18, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t missed a showin the past,if this is the best you can do I will be missing all the rest. She is annoying and NOT even close to s Zeva..

Comment by Woody – November 19, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t know what show you were watching but I found her refreshing. She’s smart, pretty, down-to-earth & humble. She took responsibility for her actions. And she gets along with “the boys” great. She was having fun with Tony and the movies with no snarky answers!!

Comment by BJG – November 19, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is a very poor addition to the series – very annoying. I will stop watching this show.

Comment by Rex H – November 20, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her. Reminds me of myself, actually. She is a very smart character and I think, in the times to come, we will all love her. She is NOT replacing Ziva. At all. Just like Ziva never replaced Kate. Kate and Ziva will live on in out hearts forever but it’s time they have another team member that can participate.Kate and Ziva will always be a part of the team, even if they aren’t there.

Comment by Taylor S – November 24, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post