The Voice Top 12 Performance Night Recap: Another Day for You and Me in Paradise?

Cole Vosbury Adorn The VoicePrediction: Tuesday night’s installment of The Voice will be as painful as cardboard paper cut, as unpopular as the words “Paris Hilton’s pop-culture comeback” and as unwelcome as the “shot through some sorority chick’s ‘heart fingers'” camera angle employed during Matthew Schuler’s Top 12 performance of “Hallelujah.”

Believe it or not, I mean this in no way as an insult to NBC’s juggernaut singing competition. It’s just that, with not a single singer bellyflopping into the very deep talent pool Monday night,  the prospect of two impending eliminations seems somehow illegal, or at the very least heartbreaking.

RELATED | Parks and Recreation Cast and Creator Preview ‘Very Sad’ But ‘Really Funny’ Ann/Chris Sendoff

I know, I know…now I sound even more relentlessly cheerleader-y than our four coaches, who actually attempted a few mild criticisms tonight: Blake and Adam correctly noting that the studio audience has zero rhythm — not that it stops Mark Burnett & Co. from zooming in on their utterly distracting displays of SwayBotics — and Xtina calling out a few instances of obvious vocal difficulty. (Thanks, girl, for subjecting yourself to audience rancor in the interest of constructive feedback!)

So who is going to be/should be in jeopardy? Let me first weigh in with my letter grades and reviews for the night’s performances:

The Voice Kat RobichaudCaroline Pennell (Team Cee Lo): Avicii’s “Wake Me Up” — Grade: B+ | There’s a wide-eyed openness to Caroline’s delivery and a warmth in her tone that distinguishes her from the rest of her competitors. But while Cee Lo’s choice of “Wake Me Up” picked up the tempo from her prior efforts, I feel like it’s even more vital that he allow his team’s pacesetter to explore different moods. How would her ethereal voice play when juxtaposed with dark and stormy lyrics? Can she embody a woman scorned or a woman obsessed? Is Caroline capable of tackling one of those “message songs” Cee Lo loves so much? If the kid can answer a few of those questions in the coming weeks, it could mean the difference between a trip to the finale vs. a shocking too-early exit.

Josh Logan (Team Xtina): Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” — Grade: C+ | At Xtina’s request, Josh dialed back the absurd avalanche of runs that buried his Live Playoffs rendition of “Crazy.” Alas, though, Josh threw out any sense of originality and emotional connectedness along with the bathwater. The end result was an exercise that was, at best, perfunctory, and at worst, a white flag in the face of some very stiff competition.

James Wolpert (Team Adam): The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside” — Grade: B | James’ vocal this week was solid — and even occasionally thrilling, particularly when he dropped to his knees toward the end and brought to life the angst of the lyrics he was singing. I just wish he and Adam had worked a little harder at finding ways to deviate from the Killers’ original. Indeed, in a season where the competition is this close, survival is going to require more than the ability to trace the contours of somebody else’s work, but rather to create a masterpiece of one’s own making.

Austin Jenckes (Team Blake): Travis Tritt’s “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” — Grade: B- | That high note Austin tackled toward the end of his first country outing proved he’s a rangier vocalist than we’ve seen over the course of Season 5 thus far. Still, I’d be lying if I said that six weeks from now, I’ll have vivid memories of this performance from the contestant Blake says is most likely to win the “Who Would You Want to Sit Down and Have a Beer With” prize. And as any veteran reality competition fan can confirm, in the early weeks of a season, you’re better off being memorably awful than merely decent. (In other words, a panicked fan base votes harder than a sleepy one.)

Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina): Jack White’s “Love Is Blindness” — Grade: A | Can a child be haunted? (I didn’t see Insidious, but that’s what the previews seemed to imply.) If so, then I’d like to know the identity of the masterful, slightly maniacal torch singer who possesses Jacquie every time she opens her mouth to sing. That ghost or phantasm or whatever she is built “Love Is Blindness” slowly, deliberately, wonderfully — bringing to life the ache of the verse before unleashing the full power of her voice in a way that had me hooting and hollering at my TV for a second straight week. And if Xtina keeps up the excellent song choices, that streak is likely to continue well past Thanksgiving.

Ray Boudreaux (Team Blake): John Legend’s “All of Me” — Grade: B+ | Xtina wasn’t wrong that Ray’s voice crumbled in spots like cereal flakes at the bottom of the bag — particularly in that series of falsetto notes that ended the performance. In the context of the song, though, such vulnerabilities and imperfections worked kinda brilliantly, turning his twist on “All of Me” into more of a whispered confessional than an announcement over the loudspeakers. “It’s gonna destroy women’s lives,” Blake declared of Ray’s undeniably sexy moment. Well, either that or cure them of Bieber Fever. (Sorry for invoking “Bieber.”)

Kat Robichaud (Team Cee Lo): AWOLNATION’s “Sail” — Grade: A- | I’m not sure that in the history of reality singing competitions, we’ve seen many contestants who’ve made as much week-to-week progress as Kat did leaping from last week’s listless, pitch-challenged “She Keeps Me Warm” to this week’s wonderful, almost animalistic “Sail.” Like Blake said, girlfriend was a lion on that Voice stage, but a lion who is capable of falling backwards into a crowd-surfing moment without missing a note in the process. (Side note: Kat’s death stare into said pit prior to her leap was a thing of unhinged beauty.) As Xtina correctly declared, “Kat came to play today!” And I’d like to cordially invite her to do more of the same in Top 10 week.

Jonny Gray (Team Cee Lo): Phil Collins’ “Another Day in Paradise” — Grade: B | This was hardly Jonny’s finest Voice moment — that distinction still goes to his “All These Things That I’ve Done” in the Blinds — mostly because he kept dropping the consonants at the beginning of words (especially those starting with the letter “h”). But I appreciated that the jangly, guitar driven pace was a departure from Phil Collins’ dreary original, and that the Cee Lo’s favorite former soldier made little melodic choices (like the way his voice went upward on the “thinks” on the chorus) to give his cover further reason to exist outside the competition.

Tessanne Chin (Team Adam): Emeli Sande’s “My Kind of Love” — Grade: B+ | Adam invoked the words “godliness,” “Xtina,” and “Whitney” in describing Tessanne’s powerhouse instrument, and I can’t even pretend dude was exaggerating. The former background singer wields her glory notes like Thor’s hammer, throwing down with such force that her emotions come at you in waves, never missing a note in the process. So how come I only gave her a B+? To be honest, it might have more to do with song choice (that Emeli Sande   track is kinda one-note) than execution, but then again, Tessanne’s excessive amounts of quaver took me out of the moment a few times, as well. Yes, yes, I’m being nitpicky, but with so little separating the top tier of singers, those kinds of picayune details count. (Also: Whoever was responsible for Tessanne’s unfortunate “explosion of side curls” hairdo needs to be put in the penalty box for next week’s episode. Sorry, but it had to be said.)

Matthew Schuler (Team Xtina): Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” — Grade: A- | I’ll be honest: I winced when I heard Matthew was tackling one of the most overdone ditties in the history of reality singing competitions (at this point, it’s neck and neck with “I Have Nothing” and “Against All Odds”) and winced again at the too-literal church facade the set designer had placed behind him. (Am I crazy, or was that backdrop recycled from a prior season?) Luckily for Matthew, he’s got a voice so transcendent that the rulebook simply doesn’t apply. The smokey tone he used in the  opening verse showcased a softer, gentler side of his voice — without in any way compromising his pitch (a problem that plagues a lot of big belty singers when they rein themselves in). And from that point out, almost every musical decision he made was flawless: The exquisite phrasing, the deft use of falsetto, the depth of emotion and the pleasing restraint had coach Xtina practically levitating with excitement. And who could blame her?

Cole Vosbury (Team Blake): Miguel’s “Adorn” — Grade: A | Show of hands: Was anyone expecting Blake’s bearded soul man — the contestant most likely to be mistaken for a real-life Muppett — would be the one to bring serious sexytimes to the Voice stage? But with his gravel-tinged twist on Miguel’s supersmooth R&B ditty, Cole not only proved he’s got heartthrob potential, but also the kind of audacious creativity that veers away from safe, expected song choices and arrangements. His fearless leap into falsetto at the end of the performance was a risk that paid off handsomely, and his articulation of every word of “Adorn” made the song come to life for me as if I was hearing it for the first time. That’s not an easy task when you’re covering a recent radio hit, but it proves Cole is a contestant who simply can’t be underestimated.

Will Champlin (Team Adam): Imagine Dragons’ “Demons” — Grade: B+ | Will’s third brush with elimination last week seemed to trigger an added urgency in his stage presence and delivery, which only served to intensify his cover of “Demons.” The guy’s voice is massive — on par with Matthew and Tessane in terms of raw horsepower, really — but now he needs to fully own it. When Will waded into the (dreadful) SwayBot pit toward the end of his performance, he lost control of his upper register a little, putting a little ding in an otherwise terrific effort. I’m not sure if that’s what caused Will to look so panic-stricken during the judges’ feedback, but in future weeks, he needs to remember that voters are swayed by every action in every second he’s on stage — singing or not. A well placed smile — or at least an unclenched jaw — might do him a lot of good with the speed-dialing set.

Should Be Bottom 3: Josh, Austin, Jonny (Josh & Austin going home)
Will Be Bottom 3: Josh, Ray, Tessanne (Josh & Ray going home)

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 12 performance night? Who were your faves? Who surprised you? Who will and should be at risk? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. gailer says:

@jasoncastro still owns Hallelujah on shows like this, Sorry Matthew

2. rowan says:

I disagree that Jacquie was better than Matt or Kat. I haven’t liked Kat all season and this performance kind of sold me on her. It was so cool and sexy, she looked great. I also thought Matthew absolutely SMASHED it. I have a feeling Jacquie is your new favorite and she’ll be like, the new Hailee Reindhart or something, haha. I feel like she was really great, but not as amazing as Matt or Kat who pushed it.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Absolutely loved Kat tonight. I wasn’t expecting that. I was kinda over her. And I just LOVED her.

• ETG says:

I really liked her too. MUCH better than Jacquie

• Davey says:

Kat seemed much more authentic than Jacquie Lee tonight who sadly may win this thing because she is THE YOUNGEST CONTESTANT on the show, which they keep reminding us.

• Tyler says:

Agree. I really don’t understand the Jacquie love-fest. Again, I found her too screechy to the point that I couldn’t even understand what words she was singing in the chorus.

• Jay says:

There’s something about Jacquie’s voice that grates on my nerves – kind of a ‘losing buzzer’ sound – and she tries too dang hard. She just doesn’t come off as genuine.

• SharMac1000 says:

Honestly, Jacquie’s emotions may not be authentic, but she’s extremely talented. If anyone can hit the notes she hits, talk to me. Otherwise, leave her alone.

• MC says:

It was nice to see Kat do better tonight. I haven’t loved her since the blinds, but this was a step in the right direction.

• Tom22 says:

I’m not big into the either/or discussions at this point.. .. if you’re discussing an aspect, yes comparing the power notes is fair enough. The Genres were too different to assess in more than a “favorite” kind of way. I gave max 10 votes to 3 contestants, 5 to two others and 3 votes to 2 or two. The 10 votes were my favorites the 5’s were those that I liked 2 a few performances in the past but might let go when I need to choose and the 3’s were great performances that I didn’t really like .. to help them stay around on merit. Wen we get to 6 I’ll start narrowing my votes obviously but even then .. as the over all talent rises I’m not sure it will be “better”vs “worse” but “I loved it” or “great, but didn’t connect” .
        When you look at it that way, it is a lot easier not to get bitter. When the masses disagree, I look at it as a sign that “I’m special” ; )

• Nelson Neto says:

Agreed! I love reading Slezak’s recaps, except for the parts of his chosen ones… I didn’t understand how he could be soooo in love with Haley back in the day. It’s the same thing with the people he doesn’t like. Doesn’t matter if they slay dragons on shows, he still keeps hating them.
      Well, anyhow, Kat really nailed it tonight!

• Michael Slezak says:

Sir, I think my A- for Kat — someone I have not cared for all season — disproves your theory that I am unable to recognize good/great performances from folks who aren’t my “chosen ones”! Well, unless it’s [REDACTED, but rhymes with Fanny Hokey].

• lynn says:

Slezak is always spot on with his “chosen ones” too..

I mean, Amber/Michelle, Candice, Haley, Allison…all a bunch of badass mega talented ladies who earned their “chosen one” status.

He’s got good taste.

• Justin says:

Don’t forget Skylar and Crystal.

Maybe on Idol he will have a male favorite this year…

• HTGR says:

Well still hold that he was nuts with his Skylar pick though and Crystal was good but she seemed plain to me since I was around coffee houses a lot right before that and ones that had Crystals all over the place so she didn’t stand out that much too me, she was good though. I wasn’t totally crazy crazy about anyone that season, although Didi had a good Rhiannon and a few other songs and Siobhan rocked it out quite often. I liked Siobhan more than Crystal even if she sometimes overdid that one thing a bit too much by the end.
            And back to Skylar’s year, well Elise was a billion times better (I mean just listen to her Led Zeppelin!) and Jessica had a vastly superior voice even if her connection was a bit robotic to start and I’d take Lauren from the year before (and certainly Kendra and here he agrees big time) as a far better country singer than the all over the place Syklar, yeah she bounced all over, but out of control and vocally too half the time. I like Rachel Potter from xfactor this season a lot better too.
            But yeah the ones he often totally locks behind are generally the best or one of the very good ones at least (I still think Candice overdid runs and sometimes took away power and messed up her vocals that could have been out and out amazing though so I had to put Angie just ahead by the end) and don’t forget he was also way behind the awesome Amanda Brown (although curiously hyper-negative, I mean you didn’t have to love Sasha or even like her, but many weeks it seemed pretty over the biased against Amanda’s friend Sasha).

• Nelson Neto says:

The thing with Kat was not that you didn’t like her, you just didn’t care for her, like you just said. One thing I forgot to add is that now I actually am a fan of Haley, and loved her Listen Up album. I didn’t mean to be obnoxious with that comment. On the contrary, I was just trying to make a harmless joke.
          And, not to make this a big one, I was very happy to see that you took the time to answer to our comments here. I don’t usually write here, so I was glad to see that it’s not an area without recognition.

• HTGR says:

Haley was sort of the best though and getting so much BS from the judges and production, pretty much all the bloggers were all for her and certainly at least as much as any of them, Michael, with good reason.

• analythinker says:

Where’s Dan (Haleyloony)?? :D

• Scamp says:

I love Love LOVE Haley Reinhart and I wanted her to win Idol! She was amazing on that show and way better than the country kids who won. I went to see Haley perform in NYC for I <3 Radio and the audience loved her as much as I did. I love her album and I even bought her Christmas video. I so enjoyed Slezak loving Haley. His passion was great fun.

• I'm just saying says:

Ya, well, those “country kids” both still have their record deals with Interscope and Haley doesn’t so…

• So there says:

And Scotty just sold more of his second album in two weeks than Haley sold of her debut album in total.

• Dont take it so seriously says:

Actually, Haley wasn’t always Michael’s chosen one, in fact his initial assessment of her was, and I quote, “Haley Reinhart is going to be a train wreck”. She won him over on the show but unfortunately in the real world, his initial assessment was accurate. Her debut album flopped and now she has no record label and no prospects. Just goes to show that being lauded by bloggers of these silly singing competitions doesn’t mean squat!

• HTGR says:

Yeah well that is not how it works. A TRACE of backing doesn’t make someone an instant star just because they are talented. Or that everyone that sold tons just boom took off. Wasn’t it Pearl Jam that flopped longer than Haley has despite somewhat stronger early support and was just about dumped off and forgotten forever and then boom they got the right play on MTV night shows and caught on among college crowd and next thing you know they sold a billion albums. They aren’t entirely my thing, but they sold a ton and are crazy popular and yet after their first few months I believe they were tracking even lower than she, so it just goes to show you how capricious the business is. Not that I’m saying she’d explode like that, since almost nobody does, certainly not these days, but there is no saying that given the right everything at once that she couldn’t potentially sell pretty well. There are all sorts of artists, some amazing, who for one reason or another, some just luck and right place/right time or right sound/right time or whatnot never make or alternately do make it. It’s a messy thing. Weak support and putting out the only song she didn’t write and the one that didn’t have the strongest radio catch and a dump after a few months doesn’t say much about whether it’s possible for her to have big success or not and it sure doesn’t say anything about whether she is good or not.
          And if call all she did a train wreck than you are a foolish poser, who thinks everything Randy and JLo (later on, notice the curious 180 degree flip she made) and Nigel had to say and the lack of instant gigantic sales (which no non-winner has had from the show for a while BTW, even the semi-finalists haven’t sold so much, unless you win now you don’t get the push needed) means wreck.
          Don’t forget that train wrecks typically don’t get personally invited by jazz greats to sing at Carnegie Hall or get invited to sing at Muhammad Ali’s birthday bash with Slash or become the only Idol contestant anyone ever invited to sing at Lollapalooza. And even the dopes running the show had to admit the she the best performance of the night practically each of the last few weeks (despite somehow managing to twist it into she needs to be the first one sent home so the productions pets would make the top spots). And Led Zeppelin have only personally approved a few contestants to sing any of their songs and she was one of them. And don’t forget one of the Idol’s vocal coaches, on record, called out the judging and production and what they were doing to her a total disgrace (as did Steven Tyler, pretty much, one night after the whole Randy incident).
          Don’t forget that Idol is not The Voice, and they will eat and damage contestants if they feel it furthers their script or could create some drama.
          Anyway back to this season of The Voice which is what this is about tonight.

• Dr.Phil says:

you need therapy

• HTGR says:

OMG Dr. Phil in da house!!! Dr. Phil in da house!!!! Sweeeeet!!!!
            Don’t take things so seriously! Wow. So genius Dr. Phil!!! Dr. Phil in the house!!!
            Why I do declare that I feel ever so honored.

• Tom22 says:

Her album actually has had some success with the songs she wrote being used commercially on ESPN College football, on TV show promo’s, and other tv show spot, and still actively played in stores as “bump music.. ambiance music” . One of her songs has been used internationally as an audition song for people who’ve made it to TV round on singing shows unaffiliated with idol She gets paid for those commercial uses and she has a small cult following of fans .. a few who even who travel by air to go see her play in different cities. Haley might find her first big moments as a song writer that another star picks up or with some original song she writes sings for a movie (and her publishing house – no promotion label but a rights management company actively placing her work on the above mentioned.. 4 songs of the 14 have been used in multiple commercial ways). Haley’s career in the music industry and potential future is alive and well… even if she didn’t rocket up to being a pop-star right off the bat.

• Terry says:

You can believe whatever you want but it’s impossible for me to get excited about any of that. I want to be able to buy her new music, I want to hear her on the radio, I want to see her in concert. But alas, I have come to terms with the fact that none of that is ever going to happen. Sadly her fate was sealed After Interscope dropped her. I really wish they hadn’t given up on her so quickly. I thought she had so much promise coming off of Idol and it’s sad to see talent go to waste and potential go unrealized.

• erin says:

The reason that Slezak was so in love with Haley back in the day was that she was (and is) AMAZING. I’ve never fan girled over any reality TV singing contestant the way I did with Haley. She was perfection that whole season.

• Cassandra says:

ITA. I was really pissed she made it last week over Tamara and Amber, but CeeLo picked the perfect song for her. CeeLo must have read some comments online of how crappy his song selection was last week, because he completely stepped up his game. He even managed to pick a Phil Collins song that I’d never heard before on a singing competition show(can we please retire Against All Odds).

• Jon says:

Agree with @Rowan…Matthew was INCREDIBLE tonight. Twitter was deservedly ablaze with his admirers and he trended worldwide several times. I bought his iTunes single (he’s currently #11) and can’t see how Slezak could rank him at A- (below Cole and Jacquie). I love Jacquie Lee and think she’s hella talented, but IMO she was better last week. And Kat was my biggest surprise this week — “Sail” didn’t have that much actual *singing*, but she performed the HELL out of it.

• Enise says:

I disagree, Jacquie has had 2 “moments” already, on the show.

• Temperance says:

Jacquie was absolutely better than Matt – he did better than I expected, and he still did Hallellujah like a 20 year old frat boy… which isn’t saying much. I’d give Kat the slight edge of the three because at least her song suited her age and voice; Jacquie’s voice was good, but the song choice was too strange (and I like usually like strange). I’m also not agreeing about Boudreaux today – he proved x-over potential in a really solid, controlled, emotional song that wasn’t swamp pop.

• Jon says:

“…a 20 year old frat boy.” Really? Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I thought Matthew’s version of Hallelujah was flawless — heartfelt, lovely, and passionate without being overdone. In fact, I am sick to death of that song on singing competitions, and I STILL bought Matthew’s version on iTunes (along with a lot of other people — it’s currently #2).

• Nedsdag says:

I like Kat WAY BETTER than Jacquie the Banshee. Jacquie has to find a way to tone down her style of singing. But then again, she’s a cute young girl so it doesn’t matter what I think.

3. Petreanna says:

Tessanne will NOT be in the bottom 3.
    Nuff said

• Teeny Bikini says:

I hope not. I am not ready to see her go.

• ETG says:

Not sure why, but to me, she is definitely in the lower half of the final 12. She can sing her butt off, to be sure, but that’s all she EVER does. I’d like to see a little more versatility.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@ETG. I just can’t put my finger on it. She’s tried vulnerability. And she has got the talent for days. I just don’t want her to go home yet. But I can’t figure out why I am connecting with others so much more. I think part of it is I can respect her technical prowess and ability to belt with precision, but I really do like nuanced performances – that are like quiet poetry – and not about “just belting.” Maybe she could try no music at all… I am just yammering now… It does mystify me though…

• ETG says:

I think you are on to something with the “just belting” comment. I sorta hate to use the much-overused “not connecting with the song” line, but to me, that’s her biggest problem. She is concentration so much on a technically perfect performance that the words and music emanate from her head and not her heart.

• ETG says:

“concentrating”, I should have said, lol

• lovinthavoice says:

Tessanne connects more with the songs than most of the other singers in the competition. The few glimpses I see of her face I know that, her inflection and tone also changes int the songs. It’s production guys. How often do you get to see shots of her face like they do when Caroline sings? On stage it’s broad movement or facial expressions that work for connecting an audience. The show chooses who they want to feature more, and how they want to show them. A live audience would have a different opinion for sure. Food for thought.

• Tyler says:

I’m with lovinthevoice. What I like about Tessanne is how intense she gets in her songs–like Tina Turner and Bono. I got the self-confidence boost she sang in Try. I got the struggle and hardship she sang in Stronger and Many Rivers To Cross. I don’t think she’s the “nuance” type of vocalist–like Joni Mitchell or Suzanne Vega. Can you picture Bono singing a song like Both Sides Now or Tom’s Diner or Luka? Speaking of Bono, I would love to hear Tessanne sing One Tree Hill. I think she’ll smash it.

• Debi miller says:

I thought I was the only one who felt disconnected to her. Tess is so talented, I love to hear her sing and yet, for some strange reason, I could care less if she stays or goes. Another one, that confuses me is Kat. For me I can’t figure out why everyone says she is so good. I think her singing is just blah.

• Jay says:

Yeah, for me there’s something missing from the Tessanne equation. She looks too aloof, too accessorized and polished, too Junior League. She doesn’t look like she needs to win this competition. I think she might go the way of Judith Hill because people will have a hard time connecting with her.

• TC says:

I hope not! She’s amazing. I liked hers, Will’s, and Matt’s performances tonight.

• Anastasia says:

exactly

• SharMac1000 says:

I second that motion.

4. Canadian Fan says:

Ray is charting well on iTunes already, only a few spots behind Caroline Pennell. So your prediction is off again this time. I actually liked his performance of “all of you”. Xtina was quite mean-spirited tonight! back to her normal bitchy self. I knew she wouldn’t pretend to be nice for long. Lol.

• gailer says:

When I see Ray, I see the Righteous Brothers. He’s got that look down.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Eh. Honest is not bitchy. He cracked pretty bad in the first two lines, but he rebounded like crazy for me. Definitely his best performance. And incredibly sexy. Like Blake, I was crushing hard. But no way, he’s going home. I think he’s found a sound that could really pay off him. Yay Ray.

• Kaba says:

What was mean spirited about her? She was even absolutely polite and everything with her intonation. God forbid SOMEONE retain some sort of honesty.

• Jon says:

Kaba, AMEN. Twitter was full of people saying Xtina was being a “mean girl” and “bitchy” again, and I just can’t see it. Just because she’s giving constructive criticism, she’s a bitch? I enjoyed Ray’s performance (and bought his single last week), but he wasn’t perfect tonight.

Adam had a few non-cheerleader comments as well, and no one called him “mean” for saying them. The double standard at work…

• ETG says:

Xtina did seem distant tonight; not sure I would say “bitchy”, but she was detached.

• Tom22 says:

? she seemed really connected to me. And happy and willing to enjoy all the music. Given how positive she was about so many contestants (while choosing the words and ommiting words to still say something within the compliments) I can’t see how peopple would jump on her for a few words (actually you didn’t , a couple above did)

• TC says:

Just because Xtina was giving some constructive criticism doesn’t mean she was being bitchy and mean-spirited. And some criticism actually makes the singers work harder and better for future performances.

• PB says:

For F’s sake. It’s not that criticism is waged…..it’s HOW that criticism is imparted. That’s where Christina has a problem and where she cam come across as petty and pretentious. That may not be her intention and perhaps she is just poor at communication skills (besides being an amazing voice), but she had a bad night and experience has shown that it effects her team. This is a contest and every little thing matters and we’ve seen that although it’s overblown that people will consider the coaches when they vote.

She’s done a good job this season of being more gracious and accepting. Her publicist did an outstanding job with her on her break, but tonight we got a little taste of old Christina. I actually cringed for her b/c it makes me laugh, but it definitely turns off a lot of other people…..Regardless, if anything is said about how she communicates some things, you get the Xtina police to come in and protect her. She’s a big girl, she doesn’t need your help.

I actually agreed with her at first. Ray was a tad flat and pitchy in the first few lines but I thought he recovered nicely and actually got much stronger as the song went on. He ended top notch. I think Josh and it pains me to say, Johnny (considering he’s an Austin boy), should go home. They weren’t bad, they just weren’t as good as the others……Matthew started an octave too high for me but his power notes are just too undeniable. Kid is quite a talent. Love Kat’s performance, but I’m a sucker for that song. I have no idea what to do with Cole. It was a strange choice, but he sort of nailed it.

• MC says:

You’re right, but this is an interesting situation. We should all remember that Tony Lucca created plenty of friction between Christina and Adam. Christina then purposefully attacked Adam’s singers (especially Melanie and Amanda) in order to exact revenge on Adam. This season is different, however. First of all, I know for a fact that Christina’s best friend on the show is Blake and she adores him. She would never cavalierly criticize one of his singers unless her comments were from the heart and legitimate. Most of Ray’s supporters admit that he was “a tad flat and pitchy in the first few lines.” A coach who hears that has every right to mention it, especially since “a few lines” can be a relatively large portion of these edited song versions.

• LB says:

Christina seemed patronizing to me.

• Zosipher says:

Love Ray

5. Sasha says:

Jacquie was amazing!!!!!!!! She much raw talent for someone so young. Her range gives me goosebumps.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Isn’t she the cutest little powerhouse ever? This is the first time I’ve wanted to vote for at least 6 artists in earnest. This Top 12 is killer.

• sara says:

Amazing? She screeched the entire song. Screeching is not singing.

• ETG says:

I agree with you. She does not yet have the kind of control over her voice that impresses me. But, the “halo effect” affects a LOT of people here, and they like her because of her age.

• Winkles says:

And i’m trying to figure out what was so different about her vocals last week then..or do you felt she screeched that time as well?

• will says:

I agree! Screeching is not singing. Good thing she hasn’t ever once done anything resembling “screeching”

• lynn says:

She’s not screeching, she’s in control. No, it’s not always pretty. It’s not supposed to be. (that’s not to say she doesn’t have some issues she could improve on. She does. And she has worked on a lot.)

Amazing how every other type of singer..country, indie, WGWG..gets to sing their style every week, but a vampy bluesy belter isn’t allowed to sing her style..

• Sara says:

While I wouldn’t say that she was “screeching,” I would say that she was not in control. She completely lost the rhythm of that song tonight towards the end because of her vocalizations. As you said, she has some things to work on, and that is one of them.

• Tom22 says:

I understand the “screeching” comments yet think it fell well short of that but her voice isn’t beuatiful up where it gets “thinner?” Her low register is beautiful to me and she’s able to very expressive in the middle of her range. I think she was in control on the high notes.. they were really on pitch (they would have called that out. they call those things out regularly)… and they were powerful but her voice doesn’t have the undertones up there that would round the sound out. (I think that’s it.)

• HTGR says:

Yeah, I’d to listen again, but I don’t recall her losing control. She seemed pretty tight on those notes that some are complaining about. Super controlled on some to be honest. If there was anything maybe it was actually a few of the tiniest little things earlier on, but that’s splitting hairs. I didn’t mind the tone myself, it wasn’t an annoying sort of tone to me but one that gave it a bit of a unique coloration and almost like a rockers upper tone which I thought actually ended up really working, she’s not mellow in tone on those, but in her it doesn’t bother me and tonight I was actually out and out digging it, it was powerful and biting in a very good way. I may try to listen to it on something else for curiosities sake (I was listening on considerably flat headphones and not ones or speakers that are shrill and boost up certain treble aspects, although this is probably not the reason for differing opinions in this case).

• HTGR says:

When you hit the notes and do it with emotion and change dynamics and have a somewhat distinctive tone from that, almost like a touch of a rocker voice mixed into her style which could instead be taken as a plus, I’d call that singing!

• Nedsdag says:

I call her Jacquie the Banshee.

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

Agreed. Probably the first time a sixteen year old has been my favorite. (No, I did not watch season 8 of Idol, so don’t yell at me Allison Iraheta fans)

• zaza says:

I had a hard time believing that song from her. It’s a dark song and here she is with her little cutie-pie face and her perfectly curled hair and she even smiled a couple times during the song in reaction to the crowd. It just didn’t work for me on an emotional level. I don’t think she connected to the song at all (which is actually a good thing, lol. Hate to think someone so young would feel that pain.)

• Terry says:

Ya, I agree. Christina needs to pick better songs for her, but she’ll have plenty more opportunities to do so cuz Jacquie ain’t goin anywhere anytime soon!

6. Teeny Bikini says:

Lot of well-deserved A’s going out tonight. I think you got it right this week as well. I was little surprised at how sexylicious Cole was singing Adorn. That was hot. Let’s just say I downloaded that IMMEDIATELY ;) Also, surprised at how Kat finally hit her sweet spot tonight – dramatic, precise and over-the-top without being obnoxious. Really cool. Downloaded that too. Great show! Even the boring ones (Jonny, Austin, Josh – for me) weren’t so terrible that I want them to go home. Yeesh, it’s just getting tougher and tougher to send people home.

7. Lalybot says:

Tessanne in the bottom 3??? No way in hell!!!

• Temperance says:

Sorry, I just don’t get the appeal. We already have a Kelly Clarkson and a Pink, and neither are going anywhere soon, and Tessanne hasn’t shown us why she’s different or better (or equal, really).

8. Chablis says:

Not a fan of Wolpert. But then again not a Killers fan.

• Teeny Bikini says:

He just seemed “under” or off for half of the song. Too bad. I am not a fan either, but last week found his niche and he sang beautifully. I think he should run with it. I know that I don’t buy his rocker persona as much as I buy his alternative folk persona. I think he is just more accurate and more authentic behind a guitar.

• AlyB says:

I think you just nailed it. That Killers song was not good for him at all and I do love that song. I was impressed with him last week but I’m back to somehow being put off by him this week. He may really want to be the guy that looks like a geek then rocks out on stage but vocally, it’s just not what best shows off his voice. There’s something strangely disconcerting about James that I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe it’s just that he reminds me of the Michael Douglas character in that movie Falling Down.

• Zosipher says:

Agreed. Adam needs to pick better songs. Dude.

• Mary says:

I enjoyed his performance last week, this week not so much. This was a bad song choice for him, especially since he doesn’t sing like a rocker.

• will says:

Love that song, and have liked James, LOVED him last week, but honestly this performance was just kind of a flop, especially knowing what that song normally sounds like and where the pocket is. Definitely not a good choice for his voice at all.

• Timmah says:

The best this song has ever been done on one of these shows was Marty Casey on Rock Star:INXS. Unfortunately it just does not suit James’ voice and demeanor. He needs to stop trying to be a rocker IMHO.

• LucyM says:

So so true! Love that version — even more than the original.

• will says:

INXS is one reality show I never watched, so I went back and looked this version up. Unfortunately, I think you’re looking back at the past with rose-colored glasses, because that cover was objectively worse than James was. Especially in the pitch department.

9. Kaba says:

Jacquie appears to be getting labeled as a “screamer” which…I don’t have a hard time seeing why, but I can’t really say I’d deem her that personally.
    (this is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbtF11V6h7k)
    I’d just like to applaud the work ethic this girl has. She told Christina she’d deliver…girl gave the emotional grit of a scorned single mother of 4.
    Matt was just….everything…yes. I’m glad this wasn’t one of those “POWER NOTES EVERYWHERE!” versions of Hallelujah (Carly Rose….you :/) it was so well taken care of.
    Cole…as a guy…even I desperately looked for panties to throw.
    Idk with Tessanne..I thought this was her best performance but it seems more like Adam is just blatantly stuck on only playing into her power note register. Which is great, but idk…I love Tessanne, but I’m not throwing stuff crazy about her.
    Will…idk? It was very good!
    James…hasn’t sold me in the WGWG agenda yet.
    Kat…redeemed girl!

Onto Blake….he’s an evil genius. Outright said he’s pulling Austin into the country side just for votes. Ray sang his song for the female vote. Cole…idrk

• Teeny Bikini says:

Seriously, Cole – good god… that was HOT.

“Caroline…that would have been a superb performance…had it been much slower. I’m not trying to dance when I hear Caroline, I’m just trying to hear Caroline.” THIS!!! Thank you.

• ETG says:

I didn’t like Cole’s karaoke “Maggie May” last week, nor his whatever he sang THIS week. No energy, no grit, no emotional appeal. Nothing there.

• LB says:

I listened to the Jacquie YouTube link you provided and found her soooooo much better. Xtina needs to give her songs like that (ie, songs that don’t focus so much on her upper register, which is where the unpleasantness occurs).

• MC says:

Xtina tends to prefer songs that emphasize the upper register for herself and her proteges. It will be interesting to see if she deviates from that pattern.

• Adam says:

Did by “not sold you in the WGWG agenda” you mean, James is sort of putting on an act? If so, then I’m with you. Something about him just doesn’t seem genuine to me.

• Winkles says:

Adam needs to establish exactly who he is as an artist immediately. This week and last weeks performance don’t add up. It doesn’t make sense, I simply don’t get it. Then to make things more annoying he’s running this geek squad, best buy employee look and the voice is beyond content on reminding us that. :/

• Sade says:

The Jacquie Lee you posted is amazing. Hope Xtina will showcase her softer side soon.

10. analythinker says:

It seems like a pretty even playing field now. Combined with each contestant’s social media activities and iTunes placement, some predictions will miss.

11. Mateo says:

josh has a great voice…he keeps getting/choosing the wrong song choices. seems he ain’t getting any love on this show…but me and xtina are feeling him fo sho.

• Teeny Bikini says:

It’s definitely the songs choices. And tonight seemed no different. It’s too bad because I really think he has talent. If lasts past tomorrow – he really needs to find his niche – and fast.

• Zosipher says:

I totally agree, it’s all about the song choices. Not only do they have to be great songs everyone loves, but they have to fit their voice. I also do not like screeching.

• analythinker says:

I agree with this and with Teeny. Hope if he’s in the Bottom 3 tomorrow, he’s the one who’s going to be saved by America. I heart Jonny as a person, but musically, I feel like I’ve seen everything of him. Same goes with Austin. With Josh, I think he still hasn’t had that breakthrough moment.

• Mikko says:

Just watched from YT Josh to perform this same song in the spring 2012. So his song choice was not an accident. He has performed this song a lot. Personally, I do not think it was bad at all, although maybe not like fabulous.

12. Scarlett says:

For me, best vocals tonight go to Cole, Will and Matthew. Don’t normally like her much but best performance (energy etc) goes to Kat.

• Sly says:

Ok, but they weren’t good. Flat notes and bad song choices all through the night. Only a true believer can be excited about this night.

• Temperance says:

Yeah, I’m not agreeing there at all. Austin and Cole were so very boring, and Matt wasn’t much better – and the whole squinting frat-boy thing is a non-starter. Will and Kat did a great job as usual.

13. Kathy says:

I think it will be Josh, Jonny, and Austin in the bottom three. Remember the instant save so it will be interesting who America saves.

• Canadian Fan says:

Agreed. Josh and Jonny will probably go home. Austin might be saved by the country base. Hard to say. Definitely two of these three going home.

14. jason says:

Matt and Jacqui already charted in the top 100, with Matt at number 23. He’d probably make the top 10 this week. Ray surpassed Caroline so he won’t be eliminated. Kat and Cole are also high.
    All in all, Team Christina is slaying it this year. Josh and Jonny will be in big trouble.

15. evejill says:

I try really hard to like Tessanne but her voice is so unforgettable… Also blake openly admits tonight that he is trying to hijack this season into another horrible rendition of “wagon wheel”

• Mikko says:

She is a sweet person and has a wonderful voice – but something is lacking to me, too. I am also “trying really hard to like” her – but something is lacking. I wish she could bring that flowing Jamaican atnosphere, that she has in her talking, to her singing. Now her personality is undeniable, but her singing voice however great it is, a bit without personality.

• HTGR says:

Yeah it’s weird. She sings great but that magic like Jacquie and Matthew had recently that magic pull somehow just isn’t always there as much. I guess her voice isn’t entirely distinctive either. She is great and yet there are at least two others who more make me motivated to vote by all methods and all.

• zaza says:

“I guess her voice isn’t entirely distinctive” I think you nailed it, HTGR. She’s one of those “technically flawless” singers, which means she sings the song the way it should be sung but doesn’t push out of her comfort zone or try something new. There is nothing…I don’t know…surprising about her performances, so they end up being, well, almost boring. I hate saying that because she seems like such a nice gal.

16. Winkles says:

*patiently waits for that angie commenter to come in and flame Kat*

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. I am waiting too… :) The night won’t be complete without it…

• Angie_Overrated says:

HA! I’ve made a mark, which wasn’t my intention. I’m done with this season til Kat is gone, so I didn’t even watch the show. Seriously, Stephanie Anne Johnson gone and Kat gets saved?! NO!!!!!!!!!!! Decided to read Slezak’s review and the comments. Kat redeemed? You mean to tell me that this is her first of 5 performances where she did not sound like a mentally retarded goat? I refuse to believe this development.

• Winkles says:

Possibly the most knuckleheaded reason to not watch a show lmao.
        I guarantee you Stephanie wasn’t going to last, I’d give her at most one week…if even 2

• Angie_Overrated says:

You have your reasons, and I have mine. Regardless of how long she was going to last, she was amazingly talented. When people like her go and people like Kat stay, it makes me want to no longer watch the show as I believe the show loses any legitimacy it might have had. Having to be sold a bevy of lies like Kat is a “powerhouse” or the Swon Brothers are “important” vocalists, doesn’t just make want to vomit, it makes me want to stop watching the show.

• Winkles says:

Then I imagine you don’t watch much reality TV singing competitions once the live rounds start because all the shows are guilty of allowing someone of questionable singing prowess (not saying I believe Kat constitutes as one of those) into the top __ and they tend to last a loooong time.
            Cece Frey
            Lazaro
            Paige…whatever her last name was on Xfactor
            And then the list for American idol is near endless
            Erin Martin
            Swon Bros
            Vedo
            etc.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Every single one of those names you put down is better than Kat. My problem isn’t that they let bad singers through, it’s that they shower bad singers with praise when they do. Idol and X-Factor at least have the good sense to smack down their mistakes (which Cece Frey was not one of them. Annoying with histrionic personality disorder is not the same as untalented). Did Lazaro Arbos ever get called a “powerhouse” or “important” vocalist? No, the judges were publicly self-flaggelating for allowing that hot mess through in the first place.

• Winkles says:

All of them better than Kat? Lol okay. Ooookay

• Angie_Overrated says:

Did I stutter? Yes, that’s what I said: all of them are better than Kat.

I’m the idiot here. You bated me, I took the bate, and now you are feebly attempting to “school” me when it’s clear that you have no idea what you’re talking about. Debating the finer points of music and/or singing with someone who has a peculiar combination of belligerence and no aesthetic capabilities is not a good use of my time. Good day to you.

• Winkles says:

Actually you’re just reading into it a whole lot more than needed.
            I had no interest in debating with you, gave up that petty bull a while ago when I realized it’s a tv singing competition, not some high end opera singer or something along the lines of such. And to be pretty simple about it, I only said that you must have a hard time watching other shows then. Please, tell me where exactly did I imply that I wanted to “debate” with you about The Voice? It’s just The Voice. I wish these people nothing but the best of luck in their endeavors, that’s about it.

• HTGR says:

You almost sound serious. Anyway I wouldn’t want to face you in poker that’s for sure. William Huang and Lazaro are much better singers in ever regard than Kat…. said with a 100% straight face. Man you must clean up at the table! Either that or at the comedy club. Either way it’s all good.

• HTGR says:

(btw, since you didn’t watch, this week she leapt into the audience and crowd surfed on her back without missing a single beat or having any change in tone or support)
            (listen I’m not saying she is the Whitney Houston of vocals, nobody here is saying that, but they are not THAT bad by any means at all and she has great connection, energy, performance)

• will says:

You think she’s sounded like a “mentally retarded goat” in all of her performances and refuse to even watch the show just because she’s on it and you think OUR reaction is the absurd one? Sheesh.

17. Melissa says:

Loved Cole tonight. Awesome!

18. Christobel says:

So what was going on with Cee lo…ooops I mean Zoro tonight.All he needs is a horse and sword and he’s off!
    Anyway Jacquie and Matt gave me chills and that seldom happens to me on any voice type show.I’m actually warming up to Tessanne because this weeks performance didn’t seem as forced as last week and I was glad to see rocker Kat back.
    Unfortunately I felt Ray was a bit of a snoozefest and Caroline was a little wobbly vocal-wise.But I do agree with Michael that it will be heartbreaking for the two that will be voted off tommorrow!

19. Dan (Haleyloony) says:

When a sixteen year old girl auditions, I may say something along the lines of, “WHY can’t you just wait THREE more years? So does it make me a hypocrite that my favorite right now is Jacquie, with Caroline being in my top 3 as well (not based on tonight’s performance, but overall body of work).

• Tom22 says:

Haha Me Too! I normally hate kids that young singing about stuff they haven’t really had time to experience but….she’s got me on board. Part of it is, that I really don’t think she’s interpetting the songs in ways that need experience she hasn’t had (love is more a word of adoration and conviction – barriers feel real like a teenager has real indignation (they’re indignate because you won’t let them wear a short skirt but, they ARE indignant). Anyway.. she brings in complex emotions from a place that must hit her.. instead of play acting what she things an adult will feel.

In the end, by interpreting the words in ways that fit her growing experiences (maybe stuff like getting a role in a school play which feels like a heavy rejection to a kid even if it pales in importance later) … she makes the songs sound FAR more mature than if she faked an adult.

• HTGR says:

True, although it’s a bit of a myth that high school kids can’t feel real love either. It’s also interesting to note that an out of proportion percentage of long term marriages or marriages or one or the other or both, I forget, actually end up eventually being with the person someone loved the most in high school and that is not likely to be the case if it was always nothing but silly nonsense puppy love. Not that I want to get too carried away it either, but people tend to go a little overboard 100% minimizing the chances for all people that age to get, feel, or understand things. Again I’m not saying there is nothing to do that, but don’t go completely overboard with it as it seems a great many do once they get to be too far removed from that age.

20. Annalise says:

Why would Tessane be in the bottom 3? She slayed the Emeli Sande song — and she was voted through by the public last week. She seems to have viewer support.

21. Sly says:

Grim, grim, grim night. Horrific even.

22. lizzieB says:

Hmm. Didn’t really dig that version of Adorn. Im really not feeling Ceelo’s choices for Caroline. Ray’s All of Me really did fall short for me. Kat rocked it!!! I felt like Jacquie just sort of tried to relive her performance last week. I dunno, hearing a 16 y.o singing “im so sick of love” just didn’t digest well with me. But then again there’s T.swift…so i guess i just belong to a different generation. But gosh. JAMES. Im so in love with him!

23. danin says:

Dude, Michael.. James&Jackie have been my favorites.Just got done listening to MP3 of all their performances.KAT SLAYS ABSOLUTELY SLAYS THIS WEEK. You are off mate. TOTAL A+ for her this week.

24. Zosipher says:

I love all of Blake’s team plus Jaquie, Jonny, and Josh.

What I would really like to know is what the HECK is happening with the much loved energies between the coaches, the entire reason I started watching the show! Carson hardly ever gets Blake’s take anymore and all of them are ganging up on him, I guess because he has braggin’ rights and used them? What makes the show fun is their camaraderie and jesting, to me anyway. It is not fun to watch someone being out of the group now, as it was such a great one. Come on guys, he has earned his place there and more, it does not become you.

25. HTGR says:

Team Xtina FTW. Man Jacquie again! And Matthew!

26. kavyn says:

I’ve been rooting for Kat since day 1 and it’s so satisfying to see her get the praise (I feel) she deserves! Kat ROCKED it!

27. HTGR says:

Also Tess, Will, Kat (see! I told you! and were like F—- she needs to be gone and now this week not so much the F————— you gave her and she brought something else nobody else did), Cole also did really well.
    Everyone did at least decently.
    Maybe add Caroline as an honorable mention.
    Anyway Jackie A+++, Matthew A++,Kat A

28. Chablis says:

Mathew iTunes #15

29. Hyde says:

How the hell is Will Champlin above Tessanne Chin in the polls????

• Teeny Bikini says:

…because he went last? He is also far ahead of her on iTunes. Interesting stuff…

• betsy says:

I like Tessane and I think she has a beautiful voice when the song is right, but we had to turn down the TV last night when she was singing because we felt like we were being screamed at and it was unpleasant.

• Annalisa says:

Adam needs to give her a softer song where she doesn’t have to go full tilt the entire song. Hopefully, if she survives, he does that next week. I do like her tone but it’s hard to really appreciate it when she’s belting it out full force like that.

30. Davey says:

I really liked Jacquie Lee last week but tonight she seemed fake. I gave votes to Will, Tessanne, James, Cole, Kat and Jonny tonight. Matthew was fine tonight but he does not need my votes.

The audience between swaying, bad clapping and heart fingers drove me nuts tonight.

• evejill says:

Hahaha oh man the audience was the worst. It wouldnt shock me if Carson was the one who orchestrated the finger hearts from the skybox…

• Zosipher says:

I’m wondering if the speakers and mixing is a little off? I know sometimes I am like, turn the instruments down, and their mike up! It is called the Voice!

• Tom22 says:

They’re clapping was so bad.. I was yelling to my kids about it in the first number before Blake opened his mouth to say the same thing.

They really need to tell the audience not to clap in unison or sway their arms together.. … the sharp tightness of the beat and hearing the precise isntant the stick hit s the rim of the drum or the slight latency off the beat a piano lick starts at makes the difference between average run of the mill music and top quality pro performances. The audience can clap or shout and ooh and ah.. just don’t try to set the beat unless invited to by the singer at certain points of certain types of songs.

31. Laurie says:

My personal Top 3 were Matthew, Jacquie and Kat (who I loved for the first time tonight). Nearly everyone was pretty good though! Three worst were James, Caroline and either Jonny or Austin.

• HTGR says:

+1 (although I wouldn’t put Caroline in the bottom group)

• HTGR says:

(and I was saying all along that Kat needed to be on CeeLos team, even if I seemed to have be the only one other than CeeLo saying that last week in particular hah).

• Laurie says:

I had Caroline at the top last week and like her a lot. However, I thought this was a terrible song selection from Cee-Lo. She seemed to get swallowed up in it and it moved too fast to showcase what’s good about her voice.

• HTGR says:

I think he got nervous that people were starting to say she only does the same thing and if you look at Dia and so on they never won in the end. She does seem to struggle a bit outside of her main pocket though, it is a very well carried out pocket though for sure.

32. analythinker says:

iTunes placement:
    13 Matthew
    55 Jacquie
    80 Cole
    102 Ray
    113 Caroline
    115 Kat
    116 Will
    132 James
    152 Tessanne
    264 Austin
    274 Josh

Can’t find Jonny’s… the site is crashed, heh.

• Canadian Fan says:

Josh and Jonny in trouble. Boys are heading home tomorrow. Heals!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Poor Jonny. I blame it on CeeLo’s completely ridiculous song choice. He either picks a perfect song or a bad song + a weird arrangement that does nothing to elevate the singer’s voice in any way whatsoever. Caroline is lucky she has so many fans b/c he’s kind of screwing that up too…

• analythinker says:

I wonder if he’s even thinking. Seems like he doesn’t go in with any strategy at all. Last week, even the first few notes in, I felt like Kat’s song choice was not right for her voice. How did Cee-Lo not see (hear) that??

• HTGR says:

I think he just was trying to pre-empt critics from going on later on about how she was all performance or super rocking and doing it while she was basically guaranteed to be safe. So it might have been strategy of sorts, although whether it worked is hard to say, it got her grief, but it might still save her from such claims later on when it matters?

• analythinker says:

Will has passed Kat & Caroline. It’s now Matthew / Jacquie / Cole / Ray / Will / Caroline / Kat / James / Tessanne / Austin / Josh / Jonny.

I’m amazed at how not that far apart most of these guys are.

• Teeny Bikini says:

You’ve got me totally hooked on watching the rankings now on iTunes. I am totally blaming this new obsession on you :) It’s totally fun though… Cheers.

• analythinker says:

Aww… sorry/thank you? Not sure which one, lol.
          Honestly, I wouldn’t bother looking at the charts if they weren’t so spot on in the past season(s). I would think (or hope) that Tessanne gets more phone votes than iTunes ones, though (are The Caribbeans eligible to vote?).

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. What’s interesting about iTunes right now for me is that the only 2 songs to break into the Top 10 are quieter, nuanced performances? It’s hardly a pattern yet, but I wonder if it’s indicative of what stands out most to the buyer’s right now… Time will tell :)

33. Mikko says:

Matthew, Cole and Jacquie.
    Matthew has all the time been a great singer, but I have not cared about him. Now his fabulous singing touched me.
    Cole has been my favorite since he sang that Passenger song. He is very creative and has non whatso ever fear when performing, it seems. His voice can be very tender – but also raspy. And he is cool.
    Jacquie was her “usual amazing self”. Somebody wrote, that she could also pull a little bit back, not to belt it out constantly – maybe true, but I can`t complain.

About Kat: I started to enjoy Kat already a week ago, but unfortunately I just happened to see one music video of hers in YouTube, and with her having very few clothes in it, I felt it was so silly and profane, that it influenced me for not taking her seriously now, just could not help it – but obviously she did quite fine also tonight.
    Many disappointing performances tonight. James and Caroline are great, but this time not so marvelous. Josh was amazingly good. I really like and love Jonny, but he might be in trouble, and it’s a shame, because I feel he could become really important artist.

• JM says:

Glad someone else is hitting YouTube. It gives you a chance to hear the artist’s original work (if they have any).
      Of the ones I’ve listened to (all but Matthew, Tessanne), Jonny has the best original songs, then Caroline. It’s really too bad they can’t sing their own songs on the show!
      Random thoughts on others: All of them need to get better videocameras/sound, some of the videos were horrid. Can’t even see Jacquie sing her original, but it sounded good. Only one though. Will’s songs had so much background noise (from being in a club) that I really couldn’t tell if his originals were good. Austin has two good originals. Kat’s turned me off, like you said, Mikko, plus the songs just weren’t good. James was just okay. I couldn’t find any originals from Cole. And Josh hasn’t improved one bit since Rockstar:Supernova.

34. EAP says:

1. Cole
    2. Jacquie
    3. Matthew
    4. Kat
    5. Ray
    6. Tesanne
    7. James
    8. Caroline
    9. Will
    10. Josh
    11. Jonny
    12. Austin

Austin gets the last spot because I always have a hard time remembering him (and Tesanne). Kat was great tonight. I was kind of over her, but with the right song choice she can be awesome.

35. Andrew says:

Adam really disappointed me with that song choice for Tessanne.. I hope he realises what he’s doing

• Teeny Bikini says:

Adam is ruining it with Tessanne. She’s not gonna belt her way to the finals. That get’s old and fast. But I am not sure what the right direction is either…

• Tyler says:

Tessanne should sing U2’s New Year’s Day, Pride, One Tree Hill, In God’s Country or Mysterious Way; Police’s Message In A Bottle; New Order’s True Faith; or Cure’s Just Like Heaven. As you can see–i think she needs to go more New Wave. Maybe even something from Eurythmics like Would I Lie To You.

36. JM says:

My grades for coaches:

Blake: B, 2 good and 1 bad song choice for Austin

Christina: C, 1 good one for Jacquie and 2 overplayed songs–so sick of hearing both of these songs!!!

CeeLo: A, all good choices, but only Kat succeeded vocally

Adam: F, all bad, IMO.

Singers grades:

Caroline: B, she didn’t reach some of the high notes. CeeLo tried to stretch her, but she wasn’t up for it.

Josh: C, nothing special with a tired song

James: B-, terrible song choice.

Austin: C, again terrible song choice, and he didn’t do anything special with it. He needed a country-rock song not this overly sunny one.

Jacquie: B-, LOVE this song choice, but she screeched way too much this week.

Ray: B, this song was a good challenge for Ray, and I think he met the challenge in the end. Why Christina chose to criticize him and not some of the others who I think were worse is beyond me.

Kat: B+, for vocals, but a D for melodrama. Am I the only one who thought she was too over-the-top? The crouching, falling in the audience, dropping to the floor at the end…one or two of these actions would be okay, but all three was just a bit much.

Jonny: B, I think Adam was right that the audience through him off in the beginning (they were soooo annoying), but he finished strong. Still, he could have done more with that great song choice.

Tessanne: B-, poor song choice, because she had to belt out all the notes. She needs more nuance.

Matthew: A, way overdone song choice, but this kid STILL managed to put his own spin on it and make it sound fantastic. Kudos!

Cole: A+, great song choice from Blake designed to show a very different side to Cole, and Cole met and surpassed the challenge delivering a performance better than the original, IMO.

Will: B, bad song choice. That song was just too hard for Will, and Adam should have known it.

On a side note: Did anyone notice the ad for the voice about auditions? It showed Usher and Shakira with Blake and Adam. Does this mean they’re coming back in the spring? And does this mean we’ll NEVER get a break from Blake and Adam???

• Jeremy says:

Yes, They’re coming back. It has been confirmed a long time ago, which is a shame because I just started to like Christina. Maybe putting her in Shakira’s spot will be better overall.

• HTGR says:

Or why not for Usher? Shakira and Christina and Blake and Adam. Or for one of them, Blake maybe? I did like Shakira so I wouldn’t want her out. Or even to mix it up CeeLo, Christina, Usher, Shakira or Adam for Usher if you want a second original anchor. But yeah it is a shame to lose Christina now.

• Canadian Fan says:

Good. Shakira and Usher are much missed. Xtina and Ceelo are getting on my nerves a bit…

• Jenny says:

Ikr!! I think its time to get a break from Blake and Adam , I mean I LOVE them, but gotta shake it up more.

37. evejill says:

Was i not the only one who had a “wtf” moment when kat jumped off stage?!? I started hysterically laughing like is this girl for real?? But in all seriousness that performance was insane, and Im pretty convinced her and Ceelo are on the same level of insanity.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Never has a coach and singer been a better match. And yes, when she falls into the crowd – I rewound it 3 times :)

• Jon says:

Cee Lo had the same rapport with rocker Juliet Simms in Season 2, and she was the runner-up that year. I loved Juliet, and Cee Lo had the same joyful look on his face when he watched Kat tonight. As you said, a perfect match.

• Tom22 says:

The parts that made if more than a cheap gimic and instead truly good showmanship was that she kept singing with the excact same sound and passion on her back ANd THEN, as they put her back up, she took her time slowly being elevated back to her feet and in the same stalking pace resumed as if it had never happened.. Not a jump up, “that was fun now its over” thing.. which would have still been ok but the way she did it gracefully in character made it so much better still.

• HTGR says:

Yeah that was pretty impressive. Many lose it at both of those stages. So she knew what she was doing and it wasn’t some whim.

38. MamaLis says:

I haven’t seen the show yet here in AZ. But reading through the posts, I feel slightly compelled to say, WOW! And, What a difference a week can make – much?

Last week, literally, I think it was like Kaba and me and probably…. 4 other people that weren’t all, “Flog Kat! Boo Hiss Kat!” I actually liked her performance last week so I guess I’m gonna REALLY like it tonight!?

So ya… guess she doesn’t suck after all. ;-}

39. MA says:

Jacquie!! Really great! I thought Kat, Ray, and Matthew were very good too. Something about Caroline’s song didn’t work completely for me, but she sure does have a beautiful voice.

40. Winkles says:

I like how just because Christina didn’t pull a Demi Lovato watching Emblem 3 or JLo watching any moderately attractive man sing a tender song. You know…how they throw criticism to the wind and speak something along the lines of “you just made ALLL the ladies happy!” and nothing more?
    She actually said something useful, but now she’s a bitch. ok

41. Timmah says:

I must have been the only one who was completely bored by Cole. Favorites were Jacquie (by far my #1), Caroline, Matthew (in spite of the song choice).

42. DavidSask says:

Am I the only one who is not a fan of the Hallelujah cover or the person singing it?

• Enise says:

I’m sick of hearing that song. Also could someone tell the artists to quit falling to their knees, it’s as cliché as Hallelujah

• Tom22 says:

It is a very intimate song. I would expect different people to like different versions of it. Ididn’t really relate to this performance but I thought it was a great peformance that I know others would relate to… it sounded very very genuine to who he was (and he didn’t miss a note and has a beautiful voice.. which to me is secondary) I like the kid a lot. He seems very clean cut and friendly and I’d wouldn’t mind having him around bunking in my son’s room if he were doing a summer study program in my city. That being said, that doesn’t mean he speaks to me musically. Personalities and “kindred spirits” and stuff like that are real mysteries. There are lots of really great people that wouldn’t interpret things as I like em.

• Temperance says:

You explained it: he’s a 20 year old frat-boy, and let’s be honest: they don’t have a clue as to how to sing Hallelujah.

• Winkles says:

Not really sure many “frat-boys” have a heavy religious background like he does.
          I just think you don’t want to admit he sang it very well simply because it’s that song.

• Terry says:

Nope, you are definitely not the only one.

43. LIKED: Cole & Matthew. BOTTOM 2: Josh & Jonny SAFE: Everyone else

44. kelly says:

Anyone else think that a stripped down Adam Lambert song, maybe acoustic, would work great for Tessanne?

• Timmah says:

I think Tessane needs to let her hair down — maybe literally as well as figuratively — in order to have a breakthrough performance. She just strikes me as being really uptight and overly controlled.

• Lee says:

You mean not screechy like jackie?!

• Timmah says:

I don’t find Jacquie “screechy”, though there’s no doubt she doesn’t yet have the polished, professional voice that Tessanne has. But what I think Tessanne lacks, and Jacquie has in spades, is the ability to give a raw, passionate performance where she spills her guts all over the stage.

45. Enise says:

Tonight really sucked in terms of song selections. The coaches all state they want to help the artists grow by taking them out of their comfort zone. It just did not work tonight for me. Maybe Blake should get up there and sing a little Gaga to demonstrate how it is done. Anyway still think Jacquie is the most interesting artist, but do tend to agree with others comments about screechiness. She has to be careful not to lose control.

• MC says:

Agreed. I can only imagine if some of these same performances had been on American Idol or the X Factor. I think we would see more C and C+ grades for these same performances. The Voice is hot right now and people understandably don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them.

• analythinker says:

Jack White, The Killers, Travis Tritt, AWOLNATION, & Avicii (among others) suck? Okay.
      I would agree on Hallelujah and Man in the Mirror, however.

46. evejill says:

When Christina was speaking i had a flashback to Tony Lucca season 2 … *covers eyes*

• Sara says:

As someone who was a fierce Tony Lucca supporter during season 2 (and therefore fairly anti-Christina), I must say that I did not get that vibe from Christina last night. She was giving the guy constructive criticism until Blake tried to step in and defend and then she got a little defensive and tried to say (perhaps a wee bit oddly) that she was trying to critique professionally. This had not shades of Tony Lucca. The guy hit some wonky notes and needed the note.

47. Jim says:

Does Cee Lo know what to do with Caroline’a incredible instrument? Does “Hallelujah”‘ always off as the most emotional song ever, even if a rendition lacks emotion and is sing only kind of well (at least there were no creepy bagpipe players in this rendition)? Did a 40 year old demon of a soul singer occupy Jacquie Lee?
    If I’m choosing three favorite finalists right now, I’m picking Jacquie, Will, and Cole for the finale. Never gonna happen, but one can hope.

48. Jenny says:

Tonight was so darn entertaining!!! The top 12 stepped it UP! So impressive. My faves were Jacquie, Kat, and James. I really think Austin and Josh should go home, they were unfortunately the weakest of the bunch. I think Ray has much potential and could really bring it should he get another chance.

• Annalisa says:

It was a good show! No vocal disasters to speak of, really solid episode all around. I hope Michael is wrong about Ray going home, that would be a shame.

49. sd says:

Jacqui screeched too much and the song was much too dark and didn’t suit her bubbly personality. It felt fake like a little girl playing dress up.

As usual Adam was not that great with song choice. Will was in over his head with Demons, James was awkward on Mr. Brightside and Tesanne needs to change things up fast (from the belting) before she loses the audience. Adam should give her something softer or more fun for her to sing.

I think Josh & Jonny are in trouble and possibly Austin.

I thought Ray was fine so I was a little surprised by Christina’s criticism. It came across as bitchy due to the timing as she’d just praised & praised & praised her singer Jacqui so it seemed very self serving to attack the singer that came on after her. Especially as he was obviously getting a warm judge (Blake) and audience reaction. It made it seem like she was back in defensive mode like when she could never say a nice thing to Amanda Brown.

Others: Matthew was good but please retire Hallelujah already.

Kat was fun to watch but not much to the vocals (sail sail sail sail) I do like the song however.

Cole–that was different and kind of interesting

• MC says:

I mostly agree with you. It seems like you and I watched the same show. I do think Christina was spot-on with her criticism of Ray, however. He always seems to sings under the notes and I find him to be either very loungey or just plain forgettable. Everything else you said was right on target.

• Annie says:

You’re spot on, in my opinion! I loved Ray tonight, besides that one part in the second line. I bought his iTunes single and I actually have been listening to it since.

• Canadian Fan says:

Spot-on! Xtina became worried about Ray’s appeal to female voters, especially when Blake said that Ray can win the whole thing. So Xtina attacked Ray quite forcefully.
      It seems that her attack did not work well in her favor. Ray is charting very well and won’t be sent home.

50. sd says: