The CW Picks Up The Originals Plus 2 Other Freshman Series For Full Seasons

The OriginalsThe Mikaelson clan’s centuries-long lifespan shows no signs of ending: The CW has picked up Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals for a full season. Additionally, the network has also extended back-nine orders to its two other freshman dramas — Reign and The Tomorrow People.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The network previously ordered additional scripts of all three series.

The Originals has been performing solidly in the ratings, nearly matching venerable lead-in Supernatural most weeks. Tomorrow People and Reign haven’t fared nearly as well, although both shows held steady in their most recent outings (and, in case you didn’t get the memo, flat is the new up).

Which of the three pickups are you most excited about? Sound off below.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Full-Season Pick-Ups, News

1. Elyse says:

yes! I watch all 3 so I’m extremely happy about this news!!!! :) :)

2. Kate says:

I have a bizarre attachment to Reign, despite the CW-ness of it all. Hurrah!

• Anonymous says:

Same. I like Reign, and I’m a history major! Happy for all 3, I haven’t watched Tomorrow People but plan to catch up over Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

• Rita says:

Same here! I’m sooo happy about Reign! Thank god it’s been picked up! :D

• Ava says:

Same here. I love Reign and have been hoping for a full season. It may not be historically accurate but it is thoroughly enjoyable.

• Leila says:

Reign deserves a second season. I’m so addicted.

• Alice says:

I feel the same. I have nothing to justify why I like it. I just do.
      Must be love.

• Jake says:

I felt the same during the first season of The Vampire Diaries when I caught up with the show a few months back on netflix. I’ve got a friend who says I own him my “man-card” for liking the show, but I don’t really care because I find it enjoyable.

Also I’m happy to know that The Originals will be getting more episodes. I think that show is quite good and can’t wait to watch it.

I also am sadly behind on The Tomorrow People, but plan to catch up at some point in the near future.

• Ally Oop says:

Lol I’ll have you know that my husband, who is as “manly” as it gets–he’s a construction worker who only wears camo and spends hours watching the hunting channel (sigh)–spent over an hour on the phone talking about Vampire Diaries with his hunting buddy who apparently is also a fan. Also, our old farmer neighbor, a 67-year-old former bull rider, also is a big fan of the show, as is his brother. Vampire Diaries fans come in many types.

• cas says:

Haha I wish I could get my husband to watch it. That would be amazing because then I wouldn’t have to DVR it!

• Elyse says:

a male work friend of mine loves TVD and we talk about it at lunch all the time! i think it’s awesome that guys watch the show!

• Tom says:

Add another guy who’s a big fan of TVD and The Originals! I’m not even ashamed one bit. I mean come on! The show has attractive people of both sexes. ;)

• dude says:

Ahhh LOVE Reign! It’s so addictive and soapy, I can’t get enough. It’s bad but I’m actually rooting against Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries just so it can get a second season.

• jojo says:

There’s something about Reign that I LOVE!! Yes, bizarre attachment :) jojo

• anonymous says:

I totallyy agreee, reign is so addictive.. their clothes, fashion, story line is completely different from anything cw has done before .

3. Annie says:

Yeah Originals!!!

4. radiomuse says:

Finally!!!

5. nate says:

about damn time

6. Ruth says:

Love the Tomorrow People. Hope it stays with us.

7. Mike R. says:

CW is having a pretty solid year all things considered, but honestly they should have never renewed B&B and Carrie diaries last year.

• marilyn says:

If you do not like BATB that is your right but there are alot of us who really love this show, so please do not say that it should have never been renewed.

• Brandy says:

Mike has a right to his feelings/opinions just as you do.Just cause you don’t like what he has to say dosent mean he dosent have rights of free speech,free press just as you do.He didn’t say he didn’t like BatB but I thin he meant from a ratings standpoint BatB shouldn’t have been renewd.

8. alistaircrane says:

Only The Originals will return for a second season. Mark my words. Seriously. Come back to this post in May and I will be proven right! Also, where will they slot their midseason shows if their new fall shows have full season orders? Surely not on Fridays!

• Farley Ong says:

The Carrie Diaries only have 13 episodes and Nikita will have 6 episodes to end this year. So, both midseason shows will take the Friday slots.

• LE says:

I think it’s possible that Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast move to Fridays and Star Crossed & the 100 to Mondays on midseason.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s my guess, yep. THE 100 is very fun.

• Alice says:

No! Not Hart of Dixie! It’s my favorite CW show!

• alistaircrane says:

…yet stars an out-and-proud homophobe (Isaiah Washington), so I won’t be watching.

• Ally Oop says:

My guess is that Supernatural moves to Mondays and airs with The 100 and Star-Crossed gets put after The Originals on Tuesdays. I predict Beauty and The Beast and Hart of Dixie move to Fridays.

• K. says:

I saw Star Crossed at Comic Con. Reign and The Tomorrow People are stronger shows in comparison.

• Temperance says:

I’m not sure how TP could be stronger than Staarcrossed – I did a very rare thing and literally turned off TP mid-episode because I’ve read high school sophomore work with better plot and dialog. I really wanted TP to succeed, but it’s so very bad. And I though Reign was going to be lousy, but it’s actually decent (but I doubt it will get renewed).

• Ashbash says:

I’m thinking that beauty and the beast will either be cancelled before mid-season or move to Fridays and hart of Dixie will be paired with star-crossed and the 100 will be on Fridays. I’m definitely not seeing a Friday move for hart of Dixie though

• Brandy says:

They’ll move other shows to Fri but new scripted shows will NOT be on Fri

• alistaircrane says:

They are never, EVER going to launch 2 brand-new series on a Friday night. What fantasy world are you living in? My guess? Beauty and the Beast and Reign will move to Fridays, with The 100 on Mondays and Star-Crossed on Thursdays.

• dude says:

The CW doesn’t generally cancel too many shows per season. They’ve never been one to clear house. In fact, in the past three years, they’ve only cancelled two shows per season that premiered in the Fall so (assuming their mid-season shows don’t fare well) I predict Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries will be cancelled and Reign and The Tomorrow People will be spared (The Tomorrow People’s ratings justify a renewal regardless). However, it’s likely Reign will be cancelled next season anyway.

• Phantom says:

I love Beauty and the Beast. It is better this year than last year. I also like Reign, The Tommorrow People, Arrow, and The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

• Brandy says:

Actually , including non scripted shows, they’ve cancelled 5-6 shows a season since Pedowitz has been here.

9. kevin says:

i don’t recall CW having such a good fall, The originals is seriously a hit, TTP and Reign may not be as stellar in the ratings, but as a freshman drama, they are GOOD! i do wonder what this means for mid season ones though.

10. Viv says:

Yes! The Originals is great (i think I like it better than TVD). It´s more grown up and I´m not 16 anymore. And The Tomorrow People is becoming better with each episode. Really happy about those news! Now I can go to bed with a smile on my face (its 23:11 over here).

11. rod says:

What about The Carrie Diaries?

• Brandy says:

It’s a limited series , only 13 episodes Pedowitz said when it was renewed according to one article.But another said he said”it has 13 episodes for season two.We may or may not go more than that”.

12. ScorpionGlow says:

The Originals & Reign are excellent. The Tomorrow People lost me, but it was mostly out of exhaustion. I can always catch up with CW’s app when and if I have the time.

• Leila says:

Exactly. Reign is way better than I thought it would be. And the Originals is as good as I was hoping for.

• ScorpionGlow says:

I wasn’t expecting to like Reign, but there’s something about the period and the costumes that sort of drew me in. I think it’s very well done, and unique for The CW because they don’t usually go in that direction.

I knew I’d love The Originals right from the start of the episode that they originally aired as a Vampire Diaries episode. It’s actually become a more important show to me because I prefer Joseph Morgan as the lead. I’m thrilled it’s been picked up for a full season.

• Temperance says:

The Originals is actually much better than anything they did on TVD – the worldbuilding works so much better. Reign is much better than the total disaster I expected. And as a huge disappointment, Tomorrow People is plotted and scripted so very horribly. The redo had great potential, and they totally botched it.

• Marie says:

Same here!!! I was tired of the originals being on TVD, but with their own show, it is excellent indeed. I had no expectations whatsoever with Reign and I LOVE it. I stopped watching TTP after the pilot. I may or may not have a marathon over Christmas, but as of now, they lost me too.

13. wrstlgirl says:

The Originals is solid so it’s a no brainer that it will get a second season. Tomorrow people and Reign are finding their footing so it’s good that they are getting more episodes.

14. Pati says:

Yes for the originals and Reign. I really love Reign, love the costumes, the actors the music everything

15. James says:

Im sad for the 100. :(

16. Gilded Lady says:

Originals, for sure. The spin off has done wonders for the characters that left and given TVD the kick it needed. Looking forward to news of renewal!

17. mac says:

surprised about Reign and TTP…was sure both would get the can

18. Roger says:

Awesomeness for The Tomorrow People! Loving this take on the franchise.

19. Margaret Johnson says:

Oh yes!!! The Originals returning, great news.

20. Kyle C. says:

Great news! All three of those shows are great. They really bring a new sleek, fresh approach for the CW.

21. kim says:

Love Reign!

22. A.D. says:

Beauty and the Beast is boring and goes nowhere…same with Reign and the Tomorrow People. I really wanted TP and BATB to be great, however they are boring and Pointless. Originals, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, and Arrow are awesome!

• Rita says:

Reign is boring? Lol, I bet you haven’t even tried to watch it, otherwise you’d for sure not be saying that. But ok then… I just hope not many people are thinking like that & will give it a try! (so worth it)

• Francine says:

I can’t speak for the original poster, but sorry… I find Reign to be boring and I’ve watched from the beginning. It’s just about individual taste. I gave it a chance but its not for me. Good news for those who like it though.

23. TL says:

WOO-HOO!!!! Loving The Tomorrow People!

24. Riana says:

I was hoping Reign would be cancelled so we could get Star-Crossed early.

25. Brandy says:

So happy for TO & Reign!Love them both.But I wonder where Star-Crossed,The Hundred,Famous in 12 wil go then at Midseason since AArrow,VD,SPN,HoD,BatB,TTP,Reign,Reign all have full seasons.?Maybe BatB,HoD Reign or TTPmove to Fri?

26. Phantom says:

Great that all three are being renewed. They are good shows. Also love Arrow, Beauty and The Beast, and the Vampire Diaries. The CW is doing good this fall. Its nice to have shows that aren’t all about police, hospitals, or doctors. All of these shows are about something different for a change. GOOD JOB CW!!!

27. Drew says:

I hope The Tomorrow People picks up. Right now it is pretty cookie-cutter. And for the love of all things good in this world, someone tell their writers what “species” means. These people are not a new species, but they keep saying that they are!

• Scott says:

They’re simply sticking with the “species” concept from the original British show. That was a children’s show though so I doubt if the audience would have been bothered by it.

• Drew says:

Yeah, probably not. But when I see people who are supposed to be so smart that a normal computer just isn’t good enough for them, things like that become distracting. Especially since it is the central plot of the series.

28. Jody says:

WoooooHooooo Reign!!!! I love that show!!

29. Lorena says:

Yay!! now the next for a pick up is Reign

30. Nick Efron says:

so happy for the full season of The Tomorrow People

31. Jared says:

Great News! The Originals is better than I expected and TP has been solid so far. Not a fan of Reign but happy to see it get picked up. The CW will only have a Friday timeslot open come mid season. Does that mean The 100 or Star Crossed may not premiere until the Summer?

32. So damn happy for the full seasons of Reign, The Tomorrow People and The Originals. What about The 100 and Star Crossed?

33. Joey says:

So happy The Tomorrow People getting a full season. Love the show.

• Brandy says:

They’ll have both fri slots open.CD is limited series of 13 episodes and will finish in Jan,Nikita will have 6 episodes and air the series finale a couple days after Chritmas and Top Model finishes its 20th cycle this fri.

34. Lisa Ray says:

Yay my new favorites, the Originals & Reign! Very happy about this! Now, what about the Carrie Diaries? Too early to tell? Please let me know!

35. the originals leads in Supernatural so that’s wonderful.

36. Brandy says:

Yes it’s too early to tell if CD will be renewed.TO & Reign weren’t renewed just given more episodes for the current season.CD is a limited series so it won’t get additional episodes for the current season.

37. Vampires still rock says:

Loving Originals (more than TVD, actually), and really getting into Reign. I’m having more trouble getting excited about TTP, but I watch it weekly. Glad to hear we get full seasons. Now all I need to hear is that TCD and ANTM won’t be coming back next season and I’ll be happy as a clam.

38. Jon says:

Great news for The Originals. It has grown on me. Can’t say the same for The Tomorrow People. Stopped watching it.

39. Mare says:

YAY for more Elijah!!

• ChrisGa says:

My thoughts exactly–both Joseph Morgan(Klaus) and Claire Holt(Rebekah) kill it every week but Daniel Gillies(Elijah) is EVERYTHING IMHO. So glad for this pick-up, it’s easily in my weekly Top 5 shows(and is a lot better than TVD right now).

40. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    So happy for the full season of my favorite three freshman series Reign, The Tomorrow People and The Originals!

41. Sonia says:

Love The Tomorrow People!! Especially now that Nikita will be done soon…which makes me very sad… I need a new gritty ass-kicking show and TTP will fill the unfortunate void for me. Not to mention I love Like Mitchell (John) especially from his days on Home and Away!!

42. A says:

Very excited about Reign. I am a history teacher and I know full well how historically inaccurate it is. I’m stoked for what the CW can do with Mary’s crazy story. I hope they take it all the way to her love affair with the pirate and her eventual death. CW style, this could be so epic

• Ally Oop says:

I know. Me too! I always did find the true story of Mary quite fascinating and honestly, the historical inaccuracies don’t really bother me at all. It’s like when you watch a Shakespeare play, unless it’s a film or big time professional production, the players aren’t wearing Shakespeare-era clothing, just old-fashioned duds to give the illusion. It’s not about the props or costumes, it’s about the characters and dialogues.

43. Razzy says:

So happy about The Originals, it’s such a great show!

44. jm says:

it is funny, i was one of the few who was interested with Reign before it aired… with the previews and so on, and i have no time to watched it yet. Glad it goes so well. I dont watch VD neither the originals. I watch Tomorrow People. Glad for them.
    CW has/had some of my favourite shows. (ARROW, NIKITA) But i am still angry about The Secret Circle. It was picked up quickly for a full season and then it was not renewed for another season.

• Karina says:

I totally agree – i fell in love with the secret circle & then no season 2! They left so many things un-answer. So upsetting! But Reign is absolutely worth it, every episode is better than the last. I watch the tomorrow people but i don’t LOVE it.

45. Jen says:

I LOVE, LOVE, the Originals.

46. steve smith says:

The Originals especially because it’s a spin off of The Vampire Diaries just shows how you know that one show is a blast, another get you more in tune and excited to see them reunite at the end or they flip from show to show. I hope it turns into one show and they both share cast members. cancel them, I’ll boycott CW. ;) good luck Tyler

47. Bruce says:

if the baby is a vampire/werewolf how will it grow since a vampire cannot age?
    And one more question in tvd or the originals has there been a kid vampire that is like 10 years old?

48. Ronald says:

Tomorrow people ,good!

49. Karina says:

I love love love Reign! I have been a TVD fan since season 1 and therefore HAD to watch the Originals – its only right. I have to say though, Reign is quickly becoming my fave show on TV. Between the costumes, the dialogue, the love triangle (its CW – there is ALWAYS a love triangle), the supernatural element – it has everything CW has been missing. I would HATE to not have a season 2. I know it is not historically accurate but who cares? If you really want accuracy you should not be looking for CW to find it. It is entertainment television afterall. Now i do watch the Tomorrow People but I am not in love with it. I can live with it being canceled. Reign & the Originals should be renewed.

Seeing as Carrie Diaries & Nikita are both headed towards ending this season – that gives way to the 2 midseason shows. Here is to hoping CW doesnt do what they did with the secret circle & cancel some amazing shows!

• Diana says:

I really hope CW will listen to its fans because we want Reign to have second season. Why you ask? because Reign is an amazing show!