Bones Exclusive: [Spoiler]'s Returning!

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Bones Season 9Bones is sending Booth and Brennan a belated wedding present in early 2014 — and it’s fair to say this particularly item was not on their registry.

TVLine has learned exclusively that an early 2014 episode of the Friday-bound Fox dramedy will mark the return of the man, the myth, the menace… Pelant!

No joke.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

Despite having been killed off last month, the Big Bad — once again played by Andrew Leeds — will resurface for at least one episode.

Don’t worry. He’s still dead. (We think.)

“He’ll be back in the flesh,” confirms exec producer Stephen Nathan, “but somewhat ethereal in the show.”

RELATED | Bones Season 9 Casts Charlie Worsham in Boreanaz-Directed Episode

Might Pelant be returning to posthumously pass the torch to the forthcoming Ghost Killer — a villain he cryptically warned Booth and Brennan about before his demise? “Brennan is the type of person who is not going to forget the words of warning that were given to her by Pelant,” Nathan told reporters earlier today in a conference call. “We will see… how immersed and overwhelmed Brennan is by the idea of this new serial killer.”

Thoughts? Theories? Reactions? Hit the comments!

Comments (78)

• Oh crap, not super villain again.

Unless he shows up on the dissection table I’m not having much patience with this guy.

Comment by John 1138 – November 11, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I … what? No, seriously WHAT is this show’s problem with the insistence on the supernatural? It’s SO jarring. And this guy in particular? THIS is the guy you want to “bring back from the dead”?? Are you NUTS? UGH.

Comment by Annie – November 11, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. No more Pelant please!!! If he comes “back from the dead”. I will not watch it.

Comment by Normitac – November 14, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t Pelant (the actor) on American Horror Story: Coven?? maybe he was brought back from the precipice between life and death??

Comment by Mel – November 15, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally disagree. Pelant is best serial killer on tv. So scary. So fun. Can’t wait for more. I always love the pelant episodes.

Comment by Pete – November 11, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, great actor!

Comment by Susan – November 19, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ..so unbelievable – the stuff he was able to do would have made him more dangerous than any terrorist group, yet no one was looking for him but the Jeffersonion crew? Ridiculous, preposterous, etc.

Comment by Jake – December 20, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Ghost Killer is going to be Red

Comment by Mike – November 11, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVE PELANT!!!!!!!!! SO SCARY! I cried when he died. Like for real.

Comment by jilly – November 11, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed – ridiculously powerful villain, but for some reason never really pursued by the FBI or Homeland Security – total BS character…

Comment by Jeff – November 11, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree 100%!!!!!!!!!

Comment by barbara – November 14, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. We don’t need another super villain. It’s been so over done. I didn’t watch any of the Pelant eps after the first and I won’t watch anything he’s in and if they do another super villain I might give up on the show all together.

Comment by SuzieQ – December 19, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No no no no no no no no. Please no.

Comment by Aly – November 11, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like it’ll be a video or something.

Comment by courts – November 11, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a second I thought Zach was coming back. I got excited.

Comment by tp – November 11, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would have been FAR more welcome than this news.

Comment by Annie – November 11, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did too. I was so hoping that before the end of this series they would do justice to that character. :(

King of the lab.

Comment by CK – November 11, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already said Zack is not coming back. I wish people let it go already. It’s been six years…

The actual spoiler: lol, what is that even mean? :D

Comment by Adele (@AddieO_93) – November 11, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *does
        don’t know why I typed “is”, sorry for that.

Comment by Adele (@AddieO_93) – November 11, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t read many of the spoilers anymore. I didn’t know they said that.

Comment by tp – November 11, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So done with Pelant et al. Not likely to continue watching if that’s the case. Really don’t like these prolonged arcs with serial killers. That’s why I believe the show is starting to fail and may not make it past spring.

Comment by Calishamanka – November 11, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i love all the serial killer arcs they’ve done. gravedigger, and pelant are my faves. Pelant gives me the creeps. so much better than the hokey-jokey eps they do.

Comment by g.r. – November 11, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY
    the least interesting villain this show ever had…

Comment by mac – November 11, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hiw many people wanted it to say Zach returning?! Sigh….

Comment by Stevio – November 11, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Opinions opinions…why must people express their opinions as universal truths?

Comment by Mar – November 11, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Message to the “Bring back Zack brigade “YOU ARE FAR FAR FAR FAR MORE ANNOYING THAN ANY SERIAL KILLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!” Please give the sane Bones fans a break once in a while. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ForTheLoveOfGod – November 11, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you are supposed to be the sane one? your comment is far more offensive than any of theirs, let people ask whatever they want to

Comment by Ev – November 12, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll just ask why? And will ask it over and over again….

Comment by CA – November 11, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God dammit. I thought they rid of him. they should learn to just leave it be

Comment by Maeve O'Brien – November 11, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the famous word of Luke Skywalker
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment by PEL – November 11, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …That was Darth Vader, or Anakin Skywalker if you’d prefer, but definitely not Luke.

Comment by will – November 11, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Zac!

Comment by EDHWoman – November 11, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Bones is going to Friday, wonder what is going bye-bye. I quit on Bones just this last week, finally had enough of her. She seems to be devolving into something worse than what she was in the beginning of the show. Then at least she was clueless but never mean, now.. she is just worse than ever. Hope they fix that, but if the show is being pushed to Friday, that’s usually the slow kiss of death.

Comment by Sheila – November 11, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I quit a couple years ago for the same reason. I watch the early seasons and she actually is somewhat human and at least spoke like a normal person (not the words, but ‘how’ she talked). Now she talks like a robot and yes, seems to have devolved in her ability to understand anything beyond literal interpretations of what anybody says. Or maybe that hasn’t changed so much as it’s just how she talks. I find her her tone and inflections extremely annoying and kind of fake.

Comment by Jo – November 11, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The very reason why I stopped watching. The way Brennan is now and the whole Pelant thing completely turned me off. I tuned in for the end of Pelant and the wedding.

Comment by tp – November 11, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We never saw a dead body, just one that was shot. It could be possible, but I hope not. I’d rather see them choose 1 intern instead

Comment by Brad – November 11, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally love the idea, Bren will want to figure out the answer, Pelant will haunt her until she does. Like Pelant said that he will end when they both end. Bren might be looking at his bones and Pelant might have done something to not be forgotten.

Comment by Chris – November 11, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha, wow, it’s hard to think of a least welcome item of news among the bones fandom. The writer’s love stirring the pot don’t they. I’d rather they brought back Hannah, and that’s saying something!

Comment by sophia7470 – November 11, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so over pelant i thought he done i hope this is some sort of video or flashback sequence

Comment by Karen – November 11, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they ever explain why Pelant was in the house and what was with the alarm clock? Or did I just miss that?

Comment by Doane06 – November 11, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • to my knowledge they didnt maybe thats why they are going with this

Comment by Karen – November 11, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have far off the pulse of their fandom are they? Penlant is the most hated bad guy ever, not loved to hate but HATED…So they kill him and now they’re bringing him back? I just don’t get this show anymore :(

Comment by Josh – November 11, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when we thought the whole Pelant debacle was over…

Comment by Mark – November 11, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Just no.

Comment by Kristin D – November 11, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So remember back when the fandom was actually gullible enough to believe that Pelant was dead… ;)
    LONG LIVE PELANT
    DEATH TO BOOTH & BONES

Comment by McVickers – November 11, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every has fogotten about the clock radio that P-lant tampered with, and was never explained by the writers as to what significance it had? Well, P-lant returns as the morning wake call in a message set to go off at some time after his death…stay tuned! :)

Comment by Jeff – November 11, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks like nobody paid attention to the clock in the Season 4 eps. 26, where Booth is in a coma and dreaming. Check out the beginning of this eps.(first 5 sec.), when Brennan comes home at night/morning and goes to bed… see the clock? 4:47 and it was before we saw Pelant doing it…

Comment by D – November 14, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t believe it more of stupid pelant what’s wrong with these shows just like red john. well they didn’t show his body to prove 100percent he was dead but if he’s back that’s just too much. these long storylines are getting ridiculous.

Comment by barbara – November 11, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barbra if you hate pelant so much why do you still watch bones if you stop watching bones it’s just one person out of over 20 million people who stopped watching bones because if they listen to you and they kill off pelant then me and everybody I know will stop watching bones so just stop posting comments about hating pelant.PELANT ROCKS

Comment by gloria – November 16, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t like Pelant – BUT he made a decent overwhelming villan. My main issue was the way he died…Someone who could manipulate things the way he did certainly died in an easy & straightforward manner. Personally I don’t mind the idea of him caoming back as in a series of pre-recorded videos but that’s all…

Comment by gryssy – November 11, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t we have Zach back? He’s the only reason I would tune in again.

Comment by Becky Ann – November 11, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he returns in the episode that ends the show. I swear he’s gotten progressive worse in each episode. Pelant needs to STAY dead.

Comment by MzTeaze – November 11, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They said he’s really dead so its probably some kind of sensor activated video, maybe down in bone storage where there aren’t any security cameras. I think the clock was just some kind of surveillance device not a bomb.

Comment by Julianne Sawyer – November 12, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they ever explain what Pelant did to the clock in Booth and Brennan’s house? If they did I missed that.

Comment by AT – November 12, 2013 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pelant was the reason I quit watching the show with this season after being a fan for years. Last season was terrible and not resolving the Pelant story in the finale was a huge mistake. Looks like I made the right choice in dropping the show.

Comment by Todd – November 12, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh- NO NO NO! Pelant was the most ridiculous serial killer on this show. If you had to bring ANYONE back from the dead, it SHOULD be the Gravedigger.

Comment by Meg – November 12, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sick of pelant or not
    I admit this he is the best villian on tv so far

Does pelant have appertince??

I wonder who is his appertince to continue his work

Comment by Ellenz – November 12, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sick of the super psycho serial killer. To me that seems to be a sign of the show’s creators & writers not having faith in the show’s loyal fans. I’m also disappointed in how Temperance seems to be more robot-like, less empathetic, & less understanding than she was in earlier years & she seems to be a lot more rude & obnoxious now. I used to love this show so much & now not so much. Something needs to change & soon or I am done with this show.

Comment by Jennifer – November 13, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please NOoooooooo no more pelant

Comment by barbara – November 13, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t!!! I beg of you!

Comment by An@Kr (@AnastasiaK74) – November 14, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so over serial killers. Every show has a serial killer. What I like about Bones is solving the unusal murders or unpredictable motives and methods.

Comment by Lilian – November 14, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LIKE PELANT. Best killer on Bones. When I found out that Pelant was coming back I was super happy and excited. When I saw the episode where Booth shot Pelant (The Sense in the Sacrifice) at first I was like WHAT just happened, I couldn’t believe it. I knew he was going to die but I was still shocked. Then I was upset that Booth “killed” him. So after that episode I wasn’t so happy with the show anymore only the wedding episode, but after that the show wasn’t the same without Pelant. Pelant brought all the drama in the show. BUT NOW that Pelant is coming back I will watch Bones excited. I am still very, very, very excited that Pelant is coming back. :) PELANT IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!! I AM SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!! :)

Comment by daisy – November 15, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • daisy I agree with you so much he is the best killer BUT I don’t agree about him messing with booth and bones it’ll super funny if they got divorce I’ll still watch bones if they did or didn’t get divorce but I agree with you about the best killer ever comment. GO PELANT YOU ROCK!!!!

Comment by gloria – November 16, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he might be good actor but bringing back pelant just ridiculous!!!!!!! I’ve been a fan since it started but starting to lose interast real fast. why can’t they just have regular crimes to solve each week without serielkillers especially one that was supposed to be dead. if its a video or some kind of message ok if not just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!

Comment by barbara – November 16, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too lost interest in the show BUT for another reason, When Pelant “died” (even though I knew he wasn’t, it was to easy for someone like that) I started to lose all interest in the show but, now that he is “coming back in the flesh” (Steven Nathan’s words) I got really really very excited. My interest is coming back slowly. I’d have to see a sneak peek with Pelant in it but, in person not a video he left for the team nor a message IN PERSON. Then I will have my interest back.
      GO PELANT!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by daisy – November 16, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HEY THE RURLES ARE NOT TO SAY BAD WORDS BARBRA!

Comment by gloria – November 16, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll just say that this is nonsense… I’ll keep watching, though.

I’ll watch Bones until its last episode.

Comment by Fun – November 16, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard that Pelant is going to be in MCSI LA but I don’t like any other show only Bones. I think the other shows in my opinion dumb. Pelant coming back on Bones is the best thing on Bones and also Booth and Brennan’s wedding too.
    Pelant better come back because if not sorry Bones but I’ll stop watching Bones for good.
    And if anything happens to Booth and Brennan’s marriage I’ll stop watching Bones.
    GO PELANT!!!! NO I MEAN COME BACK PELANT!!!!!!!

Comment by daisy – November 16, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think what could happen with Pelant’s return:
    On another Steven Nathan interview he said ” Pelant will be reintroduce when Hodgins goes back to a old family friend.” So I think:
    Hodgins goes to his friends house to say sorry for their lost. Then his friend invites him in the house. Then his friend tells him to sit and in the house there are other family members. Then Hodgin’s friend introduces his now friend to everyone in the room including Hodgins, Hodgin’s friend says” Everyone this is my new friend Christopher Pelant” Then then Pelant walks in the room! So Hodgin’s tells his friend that he has to go. So Hodgins goes to the lab where Booth, Brennan, Angela, Cam, Sweets, and Caroline are. And Hodgins tells them that PELANT IS ALIVE!!!!!!
    That’s what I think should and could happen. I really don’t care how it happens as long as Pelant is alive and it should be dramatic.
    OR Peant could be Hodgins secret family member. That would be cool and funny. I also read that Hodgins secret family member will be shocking to him Personally and professionally. And it also said that whoever it is it will be shocking to the viewers too. So it could be Pelant.
    MAYBE?

Comment by daisy – November 16, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok get me a weapon I’ll get rid of pelant

Comment by barbara – November 16, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH YEAH PELANT IS BACK NOW! I CAN START WATCHING BONES AGAIN! PELANT ROCKS NOW I CAN TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO START WATCHING BONES AGAIN!
    TRUST ME WHOEVER MAKES BONES YOU’LL SEE A HUGE CHANGE IN THE RATING (NOT A BAD ONE) YOU’LL GO FROM 4 1/2 STARS TO FIVE STARS! WHOEVER THOUGHT OF BRINGING BACK PELANT YOU ARE THE SMARTEST PERSON WHO EVER CAME UP WITH ALL THE BONES IDEA’S I HAVE SO MANY COMPLEMENTS FOR YOU THAT YOU’D GET TIERD OF READING SO LET ME JUST SAY YOU ARE THE SECOND BEST(PELANT IS THE FIRST) AND REMEMBER THIS NOMATTER WHAT THESE CRAZT PELANT HATERS SAY NEVER KILL HIM OFF! AND TO EVERYONE WHO HATES PELANT I THINK YOUR TOO CRAZY TO SEE THAT HE IS THE BEST!YOU ROCK PELANT! OH AND ONE MORE THING I HEARD THAT HE MIGHT BE NCSI L.A (A MAIN CHARATER) I HATE HATE NCSI ANY TYPE OF NCSI BUT NOW THAT HE MIGHT BE IN IT I WILL ONLY WATCH THE EPISODES WITH ANDREW (PELANT) IN IT. YOU ROCK PELANT YOUR THE BEST CHARATER IN BONES EVEN BETTER THAN BONES AND BOOTH!AND YOU KNOW IT. NO MY COMPUTER IS NOT STUCK ON CAPS IM JUST SO EXITED SO EVERYTHING MUST BE ON CAPS PELANT DESERVES IT. GO PELANT!!!

Comment by gloria – November 16, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish Hart Hanson wasn’t busy developing shows every year, because Stephen Nathan has ruined Bones.

Comment by Bridget – November 19, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I thought it was just me. A heroine who starts out as a naive genius, is exposed to wonderfully abnormal normal fellow genius coworkers and family over a period of years and evolves, not into a wonderfully unique person with quirky insights, but into a mean spirited, sometimes just mean, soccer mom with THE only perfect baby and a penchant for finding unrealistic super-villains who can write readable code on grape leaves and monitor every environment in real time (I’m assuming that’s done with a spoon). Come on!

Maybe she’s moved to Friday for rehab.

Comment by Farmer40 – November 20, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just starting to enjoy Bones without Pelant and now he is going to resurface. What is with you guys. I have watched Bones from the beginning but if Pelant comes back I am done. It is so boring with him already.

Comment by Barbara Rudnick – November 26, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox and today if a comment is added I’m four emails with the exact same comment. Is there any way you can eliminate me from that service? Thanks!

Comment by Habibi – November 27, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not that guy again! Puh-leese! can’t he find work anywhere else? I’ll watch again when he is NOT on there.

Comment by Tuesday Pm – December 20, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post