Soaps Dish: All My Children, SOAPnet Scrubbed

All My Children CancelledIn news that may only surprise those who still believe in the Pennsylvania Ocean, the online reincarnation of All My Children won’t live to see another day.

Word of AMC‘s (second) passing began spreading over the weekend, when veteran cast member Debbi Morgan (who plays Angie) tweeted the news that the show was “officially done” and cancelled.

RELATED | The Young and the Restless Adds Lost Alum Cynthia Watros

On Monday morning, our friends at Soaps In Depth confirmed the news (citing well-placed sources), and then another AMC fave, Cady McClain, shared via Facebook, “[We] were very recently contacted and told that, with great regret, AMC won’t be going back online this year, or in this particular incarnation.”

AMC‘s sister sudser and partner in online rebirth, One Life to Live, itself went on indefinite production hiatus more than two months ago, reportedly due to complications endured as the result of an ongoing legal squabble between “savior” Prospect Park and ABC.

Both OLTL and AMC banged out about 40 half-hour episodes before their Season 1/series finales.

Also this past weekend, it was announced to the Los Angeles Times that SOAPnet — which launched 14 years ago and once upon a time was quite a boon to daytime-TV fans — would be going 100-percent dark at year’s end. (In recent times, the channel’s SOAPNet programming lived on only on select cable systems, with the balance of them instead switching over to a Disney Junior feed.)

1. Megyn says:

So sad. The online incarnation of All My Children was written better than most of AMC’s final years on ABC. Agnes Nixon’s heart breaks again. :(

2. MC says:

Sad that once again it is the fans that gets screwed over. When ABC cancelled the shows, instead of allowing the shows to be ended as the writers and the fans wanted them to be, PP cajoled (forced) ABC to write “cliffhangers”. Then they pushed back the start dates for a year. Now once again, the fans are left hanging. Too bad since the soaps are having a bit of resurgence on Broadcast and talk/reality shows seem to be floundering once again.

• dude says:

Prospect Park has done nothing but screw up since they started this misguided mission. They told everyone that their efforts failed and that the project was dead so GH rescued some of their actors, then PP found a way to bring it back after all and sued GH for making creative decisions that (could have been easily reversed) they didn’t agree with. Not to mention the fact that their incarnation of OLTL was utter crap. Glad this is dead and can be forgotten.

3. Tookie Clothespin says:

No more SOAPnet is a little depressing. Where else am I going to be able to watch 12 hours straight of Beverly Hills, 90210, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Veronica Mars reruns?

4. kevin says:

I did not watch the online version after FX Canada stopped airing the series. But for me with all the behind the scenes crap that was going on it is not surprising that these once beloved soaps meet their ends once again,

The other sad part is that General Hospital was forced to give up OLTL characters because of reboot and lawsuit. The actors were forced off the show and new characters developed. The OLTL characters would have given OLTL fans some satisfaction that at least some part of OLTL would live on

Prospect Park has never been honest to the fans of these soaps. I feel bad for the ones who worked on the shows who are now looking for work. And for the fans who have fought to keep the shows alive

• Julie says:

Interested to know whether GH will so ehow try to revive the characters or Starr, Todd, John McBain. And if so how they’ll do it.

• Meg says:

I don’t think so. Roger, Kirsten, and Michael are all new characters now. It would be silly of them to get rid of these characters and bring back Todd, Starr, and John.

• MLO says:

For all intents and purposes, Todd and Starr are still on GH – just going by different names. Their personalities are basically the same – so much so that I still (and probably always will) think of and refer to Roger’s character as Todd. He’ll always be Todd to me. Just more of the crap that us soap fans have to put up with.

5. andrew hass says:

I didn’t watch either of the reboots of either OLTL and AMC but i watched them when they were on ABC.So i’m sorry that they have once again been cancelled but i had a bad feeling that it was going to happen because of Prospect Park shelving OLTL indefinitely and reportedly telling the actors that they were free to audition for other stuff,I also think the lawsuit against ABC is/was PP”s way of trying to get money and thinking ABC might settle rather then going to court because IMO Prospect Park has no case.Finally since i never watched the reboots as i said i’ll remember the 2 soaps as ending on ABC.

• monica wallace says:

I am so disgusted that on GH nobody ever dies, and remains dead. Robins back, Faison, gets arrested and always gets away. Whoever writes for GH should taje a brake. Its a great show without the characters always returning from the dead. Im just saying. Mj

6. linda says:

No more SOAPnet? Aww, that’s a shame.

7. rebecca says:

I haven’t had Soapnet in years but I still miss 90210 on weekend mornings.

8. EJ says:

I don’t care about Agnes Nixon’s heart breaking. Her greed, stupidy and stubbornness robbed both AMC and OLTL of proper burials on ABC. And characters from both could have been brought over to GH.

9. Allyson says:

NO do NOT cancel Soapnet network. Are they INSANE?! I am mad! I love watching Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Beverly Hills 90210 reruns!!! Can we start a petition?

• Sheila says:

Probably won’t help. I don’t think they’ve been bringing in any money. The channel was supposed to fold a couple of years ago.

• linda says:

I feel a Kickstarter project coming up. ;)

• Joe says:

It won’t help they are not reviving the soaps you think they are going to save a network

• Joey says:

SOAPnet died years ago when they took it off in a bunch of markets and replaced it with Disney Junior. The only reason they kept is on this long was because Time Warner and other providers found that it was still bringing in big enough numbers, and they didn’t want to lose those people should the network go dark. Eventually Disney stopped charging a carrier fee for SOAPnet. Now its basically run by one dude while all their resources have moved to Junior and other Disney networks.

It was pretty clear that the network was going to be shutdown soon when they lost the CBS soaps earlier this year, and stopped pursuing any new programming at all. Their PM hours are basically just reruns of that afternoons soaps until sunrise hits.

10. Claudia says:

Sad, but not entirely surprsing

11. roxy says:

*sigh* I watched the reboot (AMC) and while it had potential it wasn’t the same but I was happy to have my show back, sad to see it gone once again

12. GuessWhat says:

I was saying this wouldnt work from the start.
    You had HUGELY declined ratings on TV and then you expect success online?
    It made NO sense.

13. Tess says:

So disappointed that AMC’s done for good. Not that the online reboot was firing on all cylinders fantastic, but it was decent enough and showed potential to get better once they ironed out their kinks. I sort of wish now though that they had never bothered with the reboot and like others have said just allowed the show to have proper send-off when it was on ABC. The reboot just got fans hopes up and having it end again is like a promise unfulfilled.

14. Emelie says:

Disappointed again. One thing is for certain—I stopped watching the ABC network when they cancelled OLTL & AMC and haven’t watched it since.

15. Garnet74 says:

Not at all surprised. And no. I don’t blame ABC. Looking at you, Prospect Park. Seemed like a viewer con from the go.

16. awnb95 says:

Can’t Soapnet wait at least until the Veronica Mars movie comes out so they can play off that by doing marathons or something.

17. awnb95 says:

Can’t they wait at least until the Veronica Mars movie comes out so they can use that to boost ratings by doing a marathon or 2.

18. Barb says:

Since I couldn’t watch basic hulu on any of my devices, didn’t catch the show unless it was found elsewhere. AMC did seem better than OL but only watched about three weeks of the show. ABC should have just kept the shows running there instead of putting cheap stuff on now as they do (which I refuse to watch a single second of if I happen not to be working that day). Now we also have SOAPnet going bye bye for good. They’ve basically switched to showing more nighttime shows rather than daytime soaps so I basically stopped watching them. If I want to catch up with any of the current shows, just DVR them.

19. Joanna says:

Such a shame, but not unexpected. PP has been lying to viewers just as ABC did from the get go. I got hulu just to watch these shows & was not impressed by either but kept hoping the shows would get better with time. Now my hulu can be cancelled as well. I feel bad for all the cast & crew of both shows for the loss of their jobs.

20. Kel says:

I’m so sad to see Soapnet go! I love the reruns of Beverly Hills, 90210, Gilmore Girls, OTH and Veronica Mars.

21. SOAPnet’s Veronica Mars, OTH, Gilmore Girls is the soundtrack to my weekend!

22. Susie says:

Will miss the SOAPNet channel~

23. Joe says:

Kinda funny more people are complaining about soap net being done than the soaps dying again , I stopped watching soapnet years ago after they stopped showing the classic nighttime soaps ( Dallas , dynasty , knots landing etc etc )

24. R.D. Frable ♞ says:

Some of us can’t afford DVR… most cable/satellite companies require you to upgrade to HDTV service to get it! Our cable, though, offers Video On Demand which includes a long list of ABC programs… wouldn’t it make sense to include daytime shows on that?

25. Asking questions are genuinely fastidious thing if you are not understanding something completely,
    but this paragraph presents nice understanding yet.

26. Joey says:

This really sucks. I understand why they are shutting it down, and recognize how lucky we all have been that Disney decided to keep the network alive on certain providers for as long as it did. But still. People like my grandma are going to miss out on their stories now that they don’t have a network to turn to for reruns. I mean, yeah, they can get a DVR, but some people are just not willing or able to figure that out.

Hopefully Disney will see that there is still an audience for rerun soaps and put them on Lifetime or even ABC Family in their late-night hours. I think Disney can give up the dirty money they make from whatever megachurch they sell their paid programming time to and put some Soaps on.

Actually, Lifetime would be pretty perfect. They don’t need to air the same movies every night, and now that they just have GH and Days, they could easily fill primetime Lifetime slots with them each night.

Hell, maybe CBS will buy the rights for TVGN and just go all-Soap from 7-10.

27. TinLV says:

Wasn’t terribly impressed by the online version of OLTL, but was going to keep watching to see if it got better, but the online AMC was great, the writing, the sets, the new actors.. I loved everything about it. So I’m really p.o.’d that PP couldn’t keep it going.. at least they tried. I still blame ABC for cancelling the shows in the first place. Now soapnet will be gone, so I guess I’ll watch GH on ABC video replay, cause I’m not usually home during the day. Better than nothing, I guess, but I’d rather sit on my couch to watch than at my computer.

28. i;m going to miss soapnet.i loved watching all the old episodes of AMC, OLTL,and GH

29. Siobhan says:

On Soapnet, i’ve been catching up on the classic GH episodes from when Michael was in prison and Brenda was being harassed by The Balkan. I’m really upset that soapnet is going away cause I really wanted to catch up on what happened then since I took a break from soaps for a while.

The also watch veronica.mars and bh90210 reruns every day! I’m so mad that soapnet is.going away!!

30. POIs tell people where they can find anything that they might find
    of interest such as a Thai restaurant, a sporting goods store, or an art
    gallery. They are currently the leading navigation software producers in
    Europe. The batteries can cause the GPS unit to overheat and ultimately even become a fire hazard.

31. Ann says:

So sad..I’m not tech savvy and the first week of AMC airing was frustrating. I gave up temporarily because my dear mother in law was dying from MDS. Just as I was catching up the show is canceled..arrgh:’-( as far as the tech goes, cable in this country isn’t good enough. Found my problem was that no other device could even be on at the same time when viewing the show. Am purchasing the iTunes…very much appreciate ALL involved with the efforts made…Thank You all and especially Agnes Dixon<3

32. A-Orange says:

I’m so disappointed yet again to have AMC taken off the air, especially without some resolution to the story. Oh well, I’ll really miss all my favorite characters on AMC. I’ll never give up hope that someday AMC will return. I can dream can’t I…

33. Eileen T says:

I blame ABC. never ever should have cancelled AMC and OLTL. What were they thinking?Did anybody watch The Revolution? Soap royalty was taken off the air for that show..unbeleivable

34. jackie nance says:

For us that have day jobs, Ipersonally enjoyed coming home to relax and watch Dyas of Our Lives. I recently started getting this channel, gonna miss it.

35. mlm says:

You will be told to make a list of everyone you know and try to
    get them to a similar meeting where they will be presented with the same emotionally based presentation and be asked to decide
    to start a business based on their emotional response to the information coupled with their affinity for you as a friend or family
    member. There is a learning curve if you’ve never marketed online before.
    That said there are some skills that are more necessary than others when marketing online.

36. denisa lintner says:

I want soapnet back
    I watch Days of our Lives. One treehill and 90210. I’m very upset that is was discontinued. Can we protest and try to get it back on

37. J. Lopez says:

There should be room for every interest on TV..shutting shows and networks down is a scary sort of thing happening in this country. Where is the loyalty to lifelong fans? If the blessed buck and ratings rule what will we have left? Makes me glad I’m getting older. Reality TV can’t be all that’s left . Took a look at the new station El Rey and was bored instantly. Wow! So disappointing not just for soap fans but for the general direction of networks and their owners. There was a time when they cared about their audiences.

38. soapsarehistory says:

Here’s an irony for you all. Bob Iger, head honcho of ABC, lives in Brentwood, CA. When a house on his street, designed by a highly respected architect, believe it was Paul Williams, he joined all the petitioners to ‘save’ it. But when our voices are out there, he manages rather nicely to turn a deaf ear. Perhaps this is not his field of expertise but it sure smells bad that he can be so very selective. Guess it’s haves vs. have-not’s once again. So, guess we have-not’s will just have to suffer in silence once more, possibly for good now. It was wonderful while it lasted but I know that network television is most definitely NOT for me and has not been for many years now. I am a strict FOX devotee and am probably going to stay that way for a very, very long time. It is unbearable to watch anything on the networks. Programming is banal, ridiculous and stupid and more no-talents than the heavens should allow!!!

39. Dolores says:

I am very upset about losing soap net. For real do we really need a Disney Station?
    Very Upset…. can”t Soap net do anything. The poll shows we are all upset about the station not being kept on. Can we contact anyone to get this station back on.

40. latricia says:

Mad no more gh cant see what will happen to subriana and patrick

41. HitesMites says:

Farewell Pine Valley. I knew you well. For 35 years! Old habits die hard. I will miss it terribly.

42. Patricia says:

I cant believe they did this to me. i was going crazy wondering what happened to my soaps. what am i gonna do when i get home from work. there’s not much to watch. i guess i have to record them in the day time. it really sucks that they took Soapnet away.

43. teen sex says:

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme
    in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to work
    on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will
    be thankful to you.

44. Doreen says:

I’m so disappointed and disgusted that soap net is gone. They always take the good stuff off and put horrible reality shows and food network stuff on that most don’t care about. I really really miss the soap net. It’s just not right. Please bring it back.

45. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing,
    it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these
    days.

46. Shannon says:

I want to know if I can watch these shows on tv. all my children, knots landing? old Dallas? on directv?