Revenge Recap: Publicity Nightmare

ANA ORTIZ, MADELEINE STOWEIn this week’s Revenge, while Conrad’s new publicist, Bizzy Preston (Devious Maids’ Ana Ortiz), sets about trying to mend the rift between Emily and Victoria – good luck with that, honey! – Nolan gets a rare chance to pull off a takedown of his own. But why does he have it in for the Hamptons’ Edina Monsoon? And how does he manage to get even without donning a single neckerchief? Read on. I’ll explain.

NOL’S CORE | Early on in “Resurgence,” Nolan reveals to Emily that, to protect one of her clients ages ago, Bizzy outed him to the world – including the father with whom he was only just starting to reconnect. As a result, the two remained estranged for the last decade of Papa Ross’ life. (Aw. When Nolan’s sad, we’re all sad. Even his canary yellow pants can’t cheer him – or us – up. Am I right?) So Nolan and Emily put their heads together and (a) arrange for Bizzy to blab to Victoria that Emily was married once before (a “fact” that will pay off next week, presumably) and (b) break into Bizzy’s cell phone, learning not only all of her clients’ dirty little secrets but also her own. (No PR PR Persons Award for her!) But, rather than end both her career and her marriage, Nolan offers to remain mum about her affair – provided that she breaks it off – thereby potentially saving her marriage. “Guess my takedowns have a silver lining,” he remarks. Emily, are you taking notes?

HANGING BY A THREAT | Speaking of Ems, she and Aiden are busy trying to figure out how to handle his new order from Victoria – that he seduce his old flame – when suddenly the queen bee kicks him out of Grayson Manor and informs him that his services are no longer needed. (This, after seeing him get out of the shower! Time for glasses, Vicky.) Though a crafty minx like Emily shouldn’t be perplexed by this turn of events – Daniel asks her to let his former girlfriend, Sarah, bake their wedding cake, for Pete’s sake! – she doesn’t connect the dots and realize that Betty Crocker is Victoria’s new weapon of choice… until, that is, she sees a screen grab of her fiancé almost kissing his ex at an Independence Day clambake. (Somehow she does not respond to this by saying “D’oh!” in a Homer Simpson voice.)

FRENCH TWIST | When a date with Margaux starts to get, how you say, le hot and le heavy, Jack pulls back, prompting Frenchy to bail. Shortly thereafter, Amanda’s widower visits her grave, tearfully admits how much he misses her (don’t we all?) and finally, determined to move on with his life, removes his wedding band. This gesture seems to do the trick for him, as one apology to Margaux later, they’re going at it as if their hook-up is going to get one-tenth the attention that Nolan and Patrick’s did.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? You had to love that Nolan got to take someone down. But were you surprised that he didn’t seem to spend more time trying to make sure that Patrick was okay? Speaking of the takedown of the week, how did you like Ortiz as Bizzy? Personally, I thought she nailed it. (Then again, she’s by and large pretty awesome.) Line of the week, as usual, was one of Victoria’s: When party guest Sarah said that she was living it up like the 1 percent, Mama Warbucks scoffed, the 1 percent “of what?” Who do you think next week’s returnee is? Since Conrad has decided to write his memoirs, my money’s on Mason Treadwell. Anyway, your turn. Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Tsuki says:

My first thought was Mason. I miss his character so much.

2. arianeb says:

Advice to directors filming “sunrise” scenes on the west coast. Film them in reverse order: the kiss and the walking apart should have been filmed first when the sun was high, then the meet and talk scene should have been filmed afterwards when the sun was almost setting. That way you avoid an obvious continuity error.

• Alichat says:

Sorry, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

• arianeb says:

There was a continuity error on the show that was kind of funny. The difference between the east coast and the west coast is that the east coast gets sunrises over the ocean while the west coast gets sunsets. Revenge is set on the east coast but filmed on the west coast. In the “sunrise” scene between Emily and Aiden, the sun was clearly getting lower as the scene went on, proof that they were filming at sunset. The fix would be to film parts of the scene in reverse order, then when the scene plays in the right order, the sun would be rising as the scene went on instead of setting.

• SJ says:

“The difference between the east coast and the west coast is that the east coast gets sunrises over the ocean while the west coast gets sunsets.”

A useless factoid literally nobody knows or care about. Move on now.

• Marcie says:

I care. You’re just too stupid to understand the point.

• E says:

A useless factoid? I would call it basic grade school level science and common sense.

• BTM says:

Obviously not “literally” no one knowing, since that person did. As to caring about, I was pleased to learn something new that made perfect sense once I read it.

I never lived near the ocean, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this sort of thing bugs people who do.

• Kati says:

Sunsets over the water will also show to the west of an ISLAND on the east coast.

3. Nick says:

I say either Mason or Lydia, we never saw her killed, she was just mentioned

4. Jake says:

Revenge has seriously recovered from a bad second season–didn’t think it could happen after the first two episodes but the show is great again, love it!

5. Lore says:

Mason is in jail!! he cant come back, maybe Lidya, maybe Ashley?

• Kiwirevengefan says:

I wouldn’t put it past Conrad to pull some strings to get Mason out of jail just to write his memoirs! After all he knows that Mason probably didn’t kill the white haired man.

6. H says:

I thing Emily and Margaux, know each other and she’s just part of the plan. I love Emily and Aiden together

7. Alichat says:

My first thought was Lydia is returning. Does it seem odd that a family just recently proclaimed to be completely broke can throw this big, honkin’, expensive party?

8. Phillip says:

The surprise guest is Lydia. The head was blonde and she looked tall.

9. bj says:

I usually like Ana Ortiz; but, unfortunately, to me, she was really, really not good here. I also haven’t been buying the rush for Daniel/Sarah rekindling, nor the Jack/Margaux speed. Nolan, as always, was terrific, though!

• Lisa London says:

I have to agree. Ana is great but she did not deliver here at all.

• Nosey says:

I could see the rush on both accounts due to lack of closer. Daniel had no closer w/ Sara, and Jack can’t go through the closer w/ Fauxmily. I don’t think Jack was saying goodbye to his dead wife but to Fauxmily. I think he can’t face her, and the dead wife scene was a scapegoat. This is the same for Fauxmily, she never mentioned not seeing Jack again, perhaps b/c she doesn’t want to say goodbye to Jack,or she does not want to reveal to Aiden her feelings for Jack. But due to then lack of closer these quick relationships make sense to me.

• Ben W says:

I usually love her too, but thought she was boring doing this. I think she is too like-able so I wasnt really routing for Nolan to take her down. Actually, I thought the whole episode was boring. If my roommate didnt force me to watch, I would have switched to something else. lol.

10. Av says:

I like Sarah for some reason. What if she loses it and shoots Emily? I just can’t see Aiden or Victoria doing it.

11. dee123 says:

Please be Lydia. I loved her sparring with Victoria. Victoria’s line about her “Taxi cab bounce” is still funny.

12. GeoDiva says:

Has to be Lydia.

13. abz says:

I don’t like this whole Sarah/Daniel thing. Emily better put a stop to this nonsense soon.
    Loved Ana Ortiz (Side note: I really miss Hilda Suarez :) ) and so glad Nolan got more screen time this week.

14. Anonymous K says:

Not a fan of Bizzy. Or Sarah/Daniel. Liked it that Nolan got to pull off a takedown of his own though.

15. Fernando says:

ABC missed a big event. They could have had a Scandal and Revenge cross over. Conrad could have hire Olivia Pope but all and all Ana was decent, I love her on Devious but I kinda didn’t take her seriously on here

Also I think a lot f ppl are missing this but the person who returns could be Emily’s mom, they just left her story open and she could think the Grayson were who killed her daughter well fake Amanda or she knows who her real daughter is and coming to help

• Drew says:

Ew, no. Scandal is so much better than Revenge. That would RUIN Scandal for me. No crossovers, please. Revenge was good, though.

• Kiwirevengefan says:

If Conrad hired Olivia Pope then there is no way Emily or Nolan could have taken her down! Trust Conrad to hire someone useless.

16. Susie says:

I’m sorry but Nolan and Patrick kissing was by far the hottest kiss ever on revenge. Good luck to the rest of the cast trying to top them!

• Nosey says:

Totally disagree, I think Jack an Fauxmily (both kisses) tops that. In fact I have liked every kiss seen Jack does (Fauxmanda, Fauxmily, and Margaux), one of the reason I really like the Jack Porter character, I like how he woos his women. I absolutely love how he comes to these extravagant parties in jeans and button down, and still have and effect on women. I thought Nolan-Tyler had better scenes than Nokan-Patrick. Maybe b/c I liked Tyler’s character, love the bitterness between Tyler and Faumily. Patrick is really quiet, and the quiet ones are usually the worst ones b/c you don’t know what to expect, sure there is more to come from Patrick.

17. Chris says:

Love that Classic Victoria is back– laughed out loud when she told Sarah to go watch the fireworks in a field somewhere

18. Jeremy says:

Maybe I’m in the minority here but this episode is really boring.

19. tiger says:

Why do I continue to watch this hot mess??? Hoping maybe this could be the winning episode. I wish the Nolan character would stop with the whisper talk, it’s annoying like nails on chalk board. If this show gets another season, somebody is in bed with somebody.

20. missvci says:

why are so many guessing it’s Lydia. I thought they confirmed her death in the season 2. premier

21. Shannon says:

I am still catching up but more and more I think about it the more I think it is Charlotte who shoots Emily. I am also torn to who I want Emily with whether it’s jack or Aiden. Both love her and have unique qualities. I love Nolan but get a bit frustrated that is a genius yet can be quite naive sometimes especially with his love life and who he trusts.

• Nosey says:

The nice twist is if it actually is her sister who pulls the trigger. I even think Victoria pulling the trigger is a nice twist, she tries to frame but doesn’t have to. Jack, Aiden, or Nolan would not need to pull the trigger, they have leverage over her, all they have to do is reveal her identity. Nolan, I could never see pulling the trigger under any circumstance, Jack I could see pulling it if Carl happened not to be his or if anything happened to him b/c of her. Aiden I could see pulling the trigger if she reveals her feelings for Jack an he snapped. Daniel I can see doing it if he maybe found out her manipulation. If the shooting is real an not a part of the plot to fake her death, based on where she was shot I would agree it is Charlotte.

• Joy says:

I think it’s either going to be Daniel or Charlotte that shoot Emily.
        Daniel can’t be trusted… he’s been “trigger-happy” before.
        Learning that Emily has just been using him would put him over the edge!
        Charlotte has been really dark this season and totally hating on her sister.
        She could pull the trigger without realizing Em’s is her sis!

22. Shannon says:

Can we have Franco come back for Nolan or has that ship sailed? Maybe he will figure things out and be on team Nolan.

23. Shannon says:

Is Patrick really Patrick or some actor Victoria hire or Emily? It seemed like someone Victoria hired to play Patrick and get chummy with Nolan who is Emily’s closest ally. He seems to be playing a part and also has his own agenda underneath. Did Charlotte set up Daniel to see Sara? Does Charlotte have her own plans. While I am not a fan of Daniel and he could have done so many things to eradicate things but chose to stand by his father, I still feel sorry he is getting screwed over left and right in people’s plans. Ashley and Emily met when Emily saved Ashley from the Russian people. Neither remember each other why?

24. R EB says:

a slight blooper was the French press coffee pot handle…as the scene went on the handle went up and down on it’s own

25. Shannon says:

I like Nolan’s takedowns because they crush them but still make hem useful. I have a feeling Margo is hired to get her claws in jack for a story and other planters to get in good with Emily’s alies and thus gain info and the whole story. Margo’s subtle hints makes me think her intention is getting close to jack and getting info.

26. Nosey says:

I also wondered if Margaux is using Jack, I thought it was to get closer to Nolan, not to get info from him. Her character is definitely is still a mistery. I did not think about her “subtext”. Is she trying to get info on Conrad from him? Wow, who’s is this mistery person. Since some are saying Mason, and others are saying Lydia, I am going out on the limb and say the remaining Ryan brother. If it is female maybe the girl they called Carrion. It has to be someone we know. I can’t imagine showing Mason’s book in the promo, then hiding his face, and I can’t imagine Lydia also escaping the blast so I don’t believe it is either of them

• Kiwirevengefan says:

Please not Kenny Ryan, that sub plot was so boring!

• Nosey says:

I agree, I would rather it be Mason or Lydia (or any of the supporting characters from Season 1) but I just can’t see how. Maybe the mystery person is the psychiatrist she locked in th storage unit. I rather it by Tyler, Frank Stevens, or Fauxmanda, characters from Season 1 brought substance to the plot. I just can’t see anyone from Season 1 coming back, it may very well be Mason, maybe he comes back to torment her like Tyler did!!!

27. Tea says:

Patrick needs to be back ASAP. That’s the storyline I’m really interested in right now.
    (You’re right, they should have shown a bit more concern on Nolan’s part – wasn’t Patrick “the one” just an episode ago??)
    Margaux does nothing for me. Jack would be better off with Daniel’s ex – now, that would be twist.

28. am says:

emily’s mother

29. azu says:

Emily’s world is falling apart on her and she doesn’t even realize it because she has her head so far up her own ass. Things are going to end badly for her

30. katrina says:

Im hoping its fauxmanda! Could it be? Gosh I wish, she was a great part to the show!

31. trina says:

DAVID CLARK!!!!

• Kiwirevengefan says:

If David Clark returned then that would just about end the show. Since it has probably been renewed for a forth season then I think not!

32. lc says:

I agree!…everybody on this show whispers…I feel like i have to turn on close captioning to “hear” what everyone’s saying!!!…so annoying!!

33. Mikael says:

I just hate Charlotte so much. I can’t even remember why she hates Emily so much, enough to sabotage her engagement with Daniel. And speaking of Daniel, he’s a mess. He claims to love Emily so much, but he’s consistently rude to her and almost cheats on her. I hope there’s a twist and he gets shot on the boat for real.

34. Amber says:

I love Daniel!, Emily should fall for him at the end!

35. Nicole says:

I love Daniel and Sarah together , seem just the perfect couple . Oh and Patrick and Nollan , yeah