The Voice Live Playoffs Results Recap: Did the Right Singers Make the Top 12?

The Voice - Season 5 Team AdamIn the spirit of total honesty, I have to make a confession: Whenever Cee Lo Green serves up his usual blend of word salad on The Voice, my brain goes all fuzzy like an old black-and-white TV set with faulty bunny ears. (Cut to all of the show’s teenage contestants: “What do you mean by black-and-white TV set? And what does a TV have to do with bunnies?”)

But on tonight’s Live Playoffs results telecast — which whittled the Season 5 field from 20 vocalists down to a lean, mean 12 — the henna-headed, eccentric coach delivered a message that not only made sense, but was poignant enough that it bears repeating.

“This is my most uncomfortable moment. I don’t enjoy this at all,” said Cee Lo, as he was asked to choose one artist from among the three lowest vote-getters on his team. After making the confession, however, he added a entreaty to the audience: “Please continue to support these aspiring artists.”

I know I’m a cynical bastard who spends a lot of time snarking about the highs and lows of the country’s various reality singing extravaganzas, but Cee Lo’s appeal resonated with me. When you lose eight legitimately talented vocalists from a competition in the course of an hour, there’s no way to do it without some real pain. Dreams get crushed. Potential gets stifled. Our own votes and hopes get upended.

But the beauty of a show like The Voice is that even the fallen gladiators live on — in dive bars and arenas and clubs across the country, with singles and albums and EPs on iTunes. Me? I’m gonna download that Matt Cermanski CD I’ve been meaning to buy for three weeks now. Which ousted Voice contestant will you vote for with your wallet tonight or in the future? It’s worth thinking about…

Anyway, with that small slice of sentimentality in the books — don’t get used to it, people! — let’s jump to the night’s results:

TEAM BLAKE

Saved by Xtina: Josh Logan
Eliminated: Stephanie Anne Johnson, Olivia Henken

TEAM ADAM
Voted through by America: James Wolpert, Tessanne Chin
Saved by Adam: Will Champlin
Eliminated: Grey, Preston Pohl

No jaw-dropping surprises, I suppose, though I’d say that Ray’s failure to land in the Top 2 on Team Blake was unexpected. As for the coaches’ decisions, I really wish that Xtina had rescued Stephanie Anne over Josh, and that Cee Lo would’ve rescued either Amber or Tamara, seeing how his heinous song choices doomed them before they’d sung a single note.

What did you think of tonight’s Voice results? Were you shocked by any of the voting tallies? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ Saves? Sound off below! And for all my reality TV recaps, news, commentary and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Ryan says:

Not upset about anything that happened, except for Stephanie leaving over Josh. Really Christina? Josh over Stephanie?

• Kye says:

Stephanie Anne was awful. Anyone saying she should stay over Josh is tone deaf. The girl can’t sing and only got this far due to fortunate battle and knock out pairings.

• Carolyn says:

agreed.

• Lumplestilskin says:

I can nitpick one or two decisions, but I can also say without a doubt that this is the very strongest Top 12 in the history of the show. All of them are amazing. They might even be better than any overall Top 12 in this history of American Idol.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Hmmm… there’s some talent, but there’s a lot of duds too. Blake’s whole team is bottom-half fodder, Cee-Lo only has Caroline while Christina and Adam have some talent that will all depend on where we go from here. Adam and Christina (but particularly Adam) have a history of destroying their contestants with ludicrous song choices.

• wat says:

I agree. Stephanie Anne was subpar throughout the show and she was just TERRIBLE during the Live show.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yet ironically it was the three who made it through on Christina’s team who hit multiple wrong notes. Not sure what you’re basing this judgment on, but it’s certainly not based on pitch accuracy.

• Mike says:

um, you’re saying Jacquie hit multiple wrong notes? I think your ears need cleaning.

• HTGR says:

Hmm. I’ve liked Stephanie all along but I didn’t think her Georgia was all that. She mumbled through and swallowed some of it. I don’t know if you heard Kendra a few season back on AI during her save, but from what I recall that was noticeably more precisely and powerfully done. That said I absolutely would have saved Stephanie over Josh (but not way over Matthew or Jacquie).

• HTGR says:

Stephanie sometimes did a little too much like the week before, but it was still very good and the tad extra could easily be reigned in (although I know you see to love the over the over the top stuff adding in ten thousand things like last season’s AI winner, who had an amazing voice, but just went crazy with the runs and sometimes in places that just killed the amazing moment she had just built to, and I mean when she did the Star Bangled banner before the ball game she sounded so amazing to start and then quickly went so out of control with runs and re-writes I literally didn’t even know what country’s anthem she was singing by the end, at least Angie ;) took comments to heart and learned what not to overdo and what to do more of).
            But anyway I don’t mean to be getting on Stephanie since I think she was arguably the biggest loss of tonight (although Preston’s tone was something).

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes, Mike. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Jacquie did indeed hit multiple wrong notes. My ears do not need to be cleaned. Listen again and tell me you don’t hear that. If you still can’t, then it’s your ears that need to be cleaned.

• Luiz says:

This is SO wrong. Jacquie and Matthew were pitch perfect this week (as they almost always are, by the way!). Josh, indeed, hit multiple wrong notes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I ain’t tone deaf (far from it), and you’re wrong.

• MariMari says:

Phew! I thought I might be one of the only people who did not like Jacquie’s performance on Monday. It WASN’T pitchy (meaning out of tune/off-key) but it was so sharp and shrill and shriek-y I did not enjoy it at all.

• HTGR says:

In music sharp is usually meant as form of ‘pitchiness’ so I think there is a lot of confusing going on here since some are taking it to mean something else and then everyone is getting confused.

• PFitzDC says:

Sorry, but you ARE tone deaf Angie–maybe you have a head cold or something, because that girl hit every note dead on….

• Kelly says:

Yep, she kinda was not right.. I rather Xtina picked Olivia though.

• Tyler says:

Stephanie can sing. However, she mumbled some of her words in her last performance thereby making it inaudible at times. I think Christina made the right decision. All I can say is that this is going to be a dude fest this season. My faves are still Tessanne, Will, James and Matthew.

• rfealitychick says:

stephanie lost both her battle round and knock out but still survived. that’s something!

• cjinsd says:

Really! Stephanie is so much more interesting and diverse.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Yup, that was a tough choice. Both Josh and Stephanie have strengths and weaknesses – but somebody had to go. Stephanie is a bit more interesting as a singer to me, but Josh has “real” talent as well.

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

My problem with Josh is not lack of talent, it is how he uses his talent. He rarely deviates from the original and almost imitates the original singer.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@Dan. This is an extremely valid point. It is also one of the reasons that I found Stephanie more interesting. She really played with notes and her interpretation. I’ll miss that….

• AlyB says:

I will too. I liked her a lot. She had a tendency to over embellish but that’s something that can be reined in with the right coaching. I really liked some of her creative choices. That said, I do like Josh. This was a tough cut.

• gravity says:

Yes. Oh yes. Josh OVER Stephanie. A million times YES.

The Top 20 proved kinda predictable, since about 90% of my predictions and 100% of my faves went through (and I can’t give myself credit for being spot-on—I usually never am). Happiest about Will Champlin. The guy is radio-friendly and has excellent taste in music. Adam better not screw his chances with his off-kilter coaching and oddball song choices. That said, excited for the Top 12!

• I agree with you so much. Josh can go. All the way home. Not a fan.

• Chris says:

I would have preferred Stephanie but I can’t say that I am upset with Christina’s decision. She could have made a strong argument for selecting any one of her 3 remaining singers. I thought that Blake, Ceelo and Adam absolutely made the right decisions with Ray, Kat and Will.

• Paola says:

I agreed with Ryan. Josh over Stephanie? Really Christina?

• Micah Spaulding says:

Does anyone care about Preston Adam should have saved him he was my favorite but I do like will,James,and Tessan

• John Egan says:

Preston has a gift and I hope to see him move on to great things in the music industry. Was truly shocked that Adam did not save him. But am confident that the exposure on the show will open many doors. GOOD LUCK PRESTON.

• Eric Petersen says:

Preston was my favorite. I was surprised Adam didn’t save him, but figured that Adam may have thought he was pretty much launched already and that there wasn’t much he (Adam) could do to improve upon that smokey voice. Hope some record man is out there to put him on a label.

• Kat says:

Preston going home was a huge mistake.

• Kim Whitley says:

Preston Pohl got robbed, he was the best on team Adam !!! I have listened to his version
            of “Nothing on you” over & over !!!!!!!

• Angela says:

Preston was the BEST! Could not believe Adam responded that way. I know music and that man could sing anything.

• Nath says:

Christina wants to win this competition so bad she doesn’t hesitate to use everything to make this happen. Very disappoint ((( plus her singer doesn’t have an amazing voice. Yes, this girl definitely has a hearing and an average voice, most of the time she is not singing she is yelling, that is what make a different between her and people who has a VOICE , for example Tessanne.

2. Jacqi says:

Everyone but Team Blake was correct. The bottom 3 should have been the top 3.

• S Blanton says:

I will agree with that.

• danin says:

Dang.I said the same thing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Nic? Hmmm… tough pill to swallow, but I agree with the other two.

• Brandon says:

I was surprised both Austin and Cole won America’s vote since they’re really kinda similar (acoustic, bearded singer-songwriter white dudes). Thought there might be vote-splitting there.

MY top 3 would’ve been:

Ray
      Shelbie
      Cole

• Dm says:

How can you say that? So wrong on your part!

• Simon says:

I partially agree. I still would have kept Cole over Nic, but I definitely think Ray and Shelbie deserved to be the 2 voted through. Austin has talent, admittedly, but something about him leaves me cold. His voice does nothing for me.

I think America got it wrong in some cases, but I think all four judges made the right calls. I’m a big fan of both Josh and Stephanie, so I would have been happy with either one. I had a feeling it was gonna be Josh, though, since she’s been invested in him since the beginning. No complaints about Adam’s team, either. Cee Lo made the right call picking Kat based on originality and star quality, although I would have replaced Jonny with Tamara.

Overall, this is looking to be a really good top 12. I really like everyone, except for Austin and Jonny.

• angie says:

I agree with this one!

• Cindy N says:

I, too, wondered if they eliminated in the wrong order…most definitely America would have voted to save Nick Hawk and Shelby Z…not the two fat guys with beards. This will be the first time they will have to apologize and do a corrective show, on Monday, saying they actually eliminated the top 2 rather than saving them. Or they might NOT admit their mistake…which would be so unfair to the real winners, Shelby and Nic.

3. woodyinho says:

Surprised Christina chose Josh over Stephanie Anne. LOL @ Preston fans who thought he’s going to go far. It’s going to be James Wolpert assuming he keeps his iTunes sales.

• Cassandra says:

Poor Stephanie has to go down in as the first person who lost 3 separate times in a season. I though she was so much better than Josh, but I figured Christina was going to cut her since she’s done it once already.

• Simon says:

Actually, Will is in the same position as Stephanie, being stolen and then stolen back. And then there’s also that Matt Giraud guy from American Idol who got a wildcard spot AND the judges’ save.

• Cassandra says:

Haven’t watched AI in quite some time, but even if Will loses, Stephanie still will be the first person from The Voice to do so 3 times. I don’t really understand why because I think she’s better than a few that made it through(Kat, I’m looking at you).

• Anise says:

Matt GIraud! Now that was a good season of Idol.

• Jacob says:

Yes, but Stephanie lost three rounds in a row! When Will gets kicked off, it will be his third loss, but at least he had a win tonight. Although this is his third round in a row having to be saved by a coach.

• Tyler says:

Yeah, but Will was on the toughest and most talented group–Adam’s team. If he was on Blake or CeeLo’s team, I don’t think he would’ve been shuffled around so much.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I have absolutely no problem with Preston going and I LOVED his first 2 performances. Will is pretty awesome and more versatile, I think. Preston’s last performance showed he had some limitations that Will simply did not. That was the right choice all the way. And if we are talking iTune sales, Will hung out at the top a lot longer than Preston – and is still there…. The judges would be crazy to ignore sales.

• Tyler says:

Agree. I’m glad Adam saved Will. Will proved he deserves to be in the Top 12. I think he should make it to the Top 6 at the very least.

4. Cassandra says:

I’m so pissed CeeLo chose Kat over Tamara. He saddled her with one of the worst song choices in the history of the show, it’s no wonder America didn’t vote for her. She killed that song(in the best way possible).Also really sad to see Shelbie Z. go but Ray is pretty awesome so I’m not angry with him.

• Gailer says:

Should I be more surprised Shelbie didn’t make it? I can’t decide if I am shocked the country vote didn’t go for her. She did have a perfect voice, but was not vulnerable.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Oh, vulnerability is a interesting theory… I couldn’t figure out why voters weren’t going for her. Oh well…

• Kelly says:

Not surprised… she did not have the look. She was too Shelbie Boo Boo pageant like.

• Tom22 says:

I’m toughest on the Genre I like most sometimes. I’m partial to a certain style of blues and if I hear some-one doing blues a different way than I prefer, I’m very critical . Its worse for them to take a style I like “the wrong way”(really “not my way” ) than for someone to be mediocre in a field I don’t know as much about. If I connect with someone in another genre I might be more forgiving about how they “aren’t doing it right”. Not knowing too much about the current female country scene I can’t say.. but from what I have heard the “vulnerable” theory makes a lot of sense…either bad girl or vulnerable and even the bad girls need to always poke some fun at themselves don’t they? Again, not my genre.

• Tyler says:

It looks like country music is out this season. No Shelbie or Olivia. There has got to be manipulation involved. It looks like a rock and R&B music season.

• Matthew vs Chen in the end? says:

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!

• Hugh says:

I totally agree. How can Cee Lo seriously chose Kat over Tamara? The only competition, as female, left to challenge Tessanne Chin, who I’m rooting for by the way. Done know

• Tyler says:

I think CeeLo has a soft spot for Tessanne and wants her to win. I hope that answers your question about why he chose Kat.

• MamaLis says:

Uh, no. I can almost promise you that CeeLo is not in this to “let” Adam’s team win. No matter how much he bonded with the contestant the first week.

• HTGR says:

Tamara is really good, then again she didn’t quite fully deliver tonight’s groups song, which really shouldn’t have been tough for her. Kat was the only one who sounded really good throughout the whole group song tonight.
      And she brings something different to the show that would’ve been missing with Tamara there instead. So glad he saved Kat!

5. Gailer says:

I thought Ray was old fashioned so I wasn’t surprised.
    I am glad Adam went with Will.
    Josh was a surprise save to me but probably ok with who Xtina had to choose from.

6. GingerSnap says:

I can’t really fault the decisions. I would have preferred to keep Stephanie around for awhile longer, but the rest of the decisions were correct.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Some of my favorites went home and I was still okay with every choice. Somebody’s got to go. I will miss Stephanie though…

• Tom22 says:

I figure the fans’s get to speak on the first two slots. The judges are also real people with insanely busy lives…. and they have a passion for music itself and whether they’re getting paid millions for it or not. their time is real to them on personal level.. they know what a long shot it is to catch the public taste ..talent isn’t the half of it.. so at this point, i can’t fault them.. I probably respect them for choosing based on what they feel they can contribute.

7. Joe says:

they could have saved some time at the end there if they wouldn’t have pretended that anyone besides Jacquie Lee, and Matthew Schuler were going to be voted thru and just went straight to the elimination

8. I agree about saving Stephanie over Josh. I enjoy her blend of blues, folk, and jazz.

9. dj says:

I wish Preston and Stephanie could be added to the mix, but I will have to support them offline, like you said. I think the talent has been really good this year, so it’s hard to lose so many people at once.

• Dee Lee says:

Agree – I think Preston especially had such a cool sound and was so smooth in front of the audience. I think Adam made a mistake.

• Teeny Bikini says:

One of the toughest parts of this show for me is losing so many at once. I barely get a chance to know them and then they are gone.

• HTGR says:

yeah those are the two who will be missed above all. That said I’m actually glad he took Will over Preston, although I think I would’ve preferred Preston over James myself (even if James did do better than Preston this week, but that was itt).

• MamaLis says:

Totally with you! Except that wasn’t gonna happen!
        I thought for SURE he was going with Preston, and clearly Will thought he was going with Preston! He had a look in his eyes that was READY for bad news, poor guy. But I guess Lucky Guy, cuz he’s in!
        When Adam said, “This might surprise people….” obviously he was well aware that Preston had been a front runner. And honestly, I LOVED Preston! But I think Adam was smart because Preston had really leveled off the last 2-3 weeks. It was like he was incrementally getting worse or at least incrementally coming down off Pole Position.
        Will, on the other hand, has a LOT of offer and I’m totally okay with that pick!

10. what says:

I was so scared for Will because it appeared to me that Adam and Preston had some kind of bromance thing going on but I’m so happy that he ended up choosing Will.

• Kari G says:

I was SOO happy that Will was saved. He is truly something special.

• AlyB says:

I was really worried for a minute there. I’m so glad he chose Will. I do think Preston has a really unique voice but Will brings a really interesting vibe to the show & I think his song choices will be more in line with what I like to listen to. I think Adam chose wisely.

• analythinker says:

I jinxed it a few times over the last couple of days. Love Preston’s tone but that song choice really hurt him.

11. Laura says:

I was very upset about Preston. I definitely would have picked him over Will.

12. Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

Seriously, so many people say Caroline looks just like Selena Gomez. To me, she looks just like Caroline Glazer from last season. Or is that just me?
    On another note, damn you Christina and your Josh-over-Stephanie choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. David says:

I felt that CeeLo would’ve been better served by keeping Tamara. Kat was a sentimental choice. I’m happy with Josh over Stephanie. I must be the only one who thoroughly enjoyed his performance (other than Xtina). Teamwise, adam has the strongest team followed closely by Xtina. Xtina is making the best song choices.

• Teeny Bikini says:

The playing field has been considerably leveled now so it will be interesting. I like Kat but she is kind of a one-trick pony. Her lower register and ability to be soft or vulnerable are virtually nonexistent. I thought her last performance was really telling in that way.

• HTGR says:

I don’t know about. I think the group song tonight showed the others to be one trick. Caroline was eaten alive by the song and Amber and Tamara were barely hanging on, especially Amber. Kat was the only one who saved the group song tonight. Tamara is pretty awesome, but there are others like her there is no Kat other than Kat this season.

• Davey says:

I don’t think you can judge Caroline by the group number. She’s never going to do a song like that, it was ludicrous for her to be singing it.

• HTGR says:

yeah true since sometimes the one trick is a very good trick, she’ll be fine as soon as she goes back to her things

• Teeny Bikini says:

Kat is unique. There is not doubt about. I guess each shines in different situations. Didn’t she say fronted a band? Maybe a group is the ideal situation for her. I am entirely happy with this top 12 and fully expect/hope to be surprised by Kat next week, because when she’s “on” she’s thoroughly entertaining to me.

• Michelle M. says:

I totally enjoyed Josh’s performance! And the iTunes version is outstanding! He is real talent. Fantastic voice.

14. Kaba says:

I predict Jonny gone next week along with (maybe) Kat next week and Ceelo just Ushering it out with Caroline.
    Or if not two from his team, maybe josh as well.

• JM says:

Sorry, but I have a lot more faith in Jonny than Kat or Josh.

• HTGR says:

He may have more votes than either but I don’t know that I have more faith in him. The group song should’ve been in his wheel house tonight and he was OK but it wasn’t much special and only Kat brought it to life at all.

• Sly says:

He’s not very good. He’s not even bar band good.

• JM says:

I beg to differ. First, to HTGR, most of the group numbers were BAD, and even good singers (Michael, Jacquie) sounded bad so IMO, it’s not a good basis for judgement.
            To Sly and all, I urge you to check these singers out on YouTube and listen to their original music. I have, and compared to others like Cole, James, Preston, etc., Jonny writes the best original music and sings his songs beautifully. He posted that he will be putting ‘DMFD’ on itunes soon, and I and many other fans will buy it.

15. debi says:

I wanted Shelbie Z, Olivia, and Preston to make it, so I was disappointed they weren’t saved. I agree with others that Stephanie or Olivia should have been saved over Josh. He was my biggest surprise. He’s not nearly as good as the others on the show. Adam definitely had the hardest decision. Will just keeps getting saved by somebody, but I like Preston better.

• Emma says:

I thought it was a toss up between Christina’s 3… Josh, Olivia or Stephanie Anne, I thought they were pretty equal, talent wise. My advice to Josh going forward… put the hat back on!

16. Kaba says:

Can we stop to take the time to notice one big thing you guys? I feel Preston sooner deserved to go through than Will, simply because of how popular he is without even trying.
    “No Woman No Cry” and his song from the other night ended up in the top 100s amazingly, even though those were easily two no so great performances. Whereas, Will has given us one of his bests and has topped as well.
    Look at Preston’s potential. His voice alone was enough to get him into the top 100s even with bland performances. If he were to hit his sweet spot he’d be topping the charts.Thats how I feel

• ET says:

If he’s as good as you say, they his leaving the show shouldn’t affect his career…..

• Kaba says:

What kind of limp point is that?
        There have been PLENTY of contestants that have been absolutely insanely good and ARE insanely good that go far before their time and end up not getting the best out of what the opportunity could have offered.
        “Won’t affect his career”
        What?

• ET says:

You said, “if he were to hit his sweet spot, he’d be topping the charts”. My (not “limp”) point is “does he really NEED The Voice to get him there if he’s THAT good”??? I think you know the answer to that as well as I do….

• Teeny Bikini says:

It’s certainly an interesting perspective. I was shocked to see him on the charts at all this week. But he was there, so it is clear he has a fan base, and more importantly, people willing to pay to hear him. It would have been nice to hear him have a breakout performance before he left….

• tealeaves says:

I think Preston was easily one of the best and most interesting singers in this competition. With the right songs he could have gone all the way to the end.

17. Karen says:

Not really surprised Christina chose Josh, but I would have loved to seeStephanie in the top 12. She was just so down to earth and did something different than what we’re used to seeing with black women (at least in terms of mainstream competitive reality singing programs). But I was really glad that Adam chose Will. And Cee-Lo certainly doomed Tamara Chaunice with that god-awful song choice.

18. Canadian Fan says:

I am pleasantly surprised by Adem’s decision to save Will. Good choice over Preston. Blake made the right decision. Still don’t get why Xtina always go out of her way for Josh: what does she see in him? Ceelo sabotaged Tamara with the song choice. He was more into Kat anyway, so no surprise. All in all, sensible decisions from all the coaches.

19. Jeff says:

Preston’s voice is infinitely more unique than Will, or anyone, and overall has performed better this year, I think. He should have been saved over Will, 100%.

20. Kaba says:

I’m sorry…but am I the only one not mad that Josh was chosen over Stephanie?
    His body of works is just more impressive and more worthwhile than Stephanies. Everyone’s just basing the decision off of what they saw last night, which is a more fair way to judge buut…I understand keeping josh

• Michelle M. says:

I agree with you. Josh has a truly seasoned and wonderful voice. Very talented. I think the judges made the best choices!

21. Dee Lee says:

Man, can’t believe Preston was eliminated. He was SO good! Why did Adam go on and on the other night about his voice and how you can’t buy a signature sound like that and then not put him through? Geez. He was the main reason I was watching and thought he had a chance to win. Wow – I’m shocked. Mostly that the geeky guy got through. Yea, he’s got a good voice, but really – can anyone see him selling tickets to a concert?

• sleepyseas says:

I’m stunned about Preston! I thought he would win the show! What a voice. The geeky guy, though, I’m happy about – he’s got an alternative appeal.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Hm… you should read 1 of the 960 reviews he has on iTunes. People love James. He still is hanging out at the Top of the charts and he is the first to break into the Top 10 in time enough to earn the multiplier points. It’s not a leap to think people will also go to his concerts. I think his persona is right on trend and his music is current. I am not really a fan, but I get it. This kid is money in the bank and is bound for the Top 3 easily, just by doing what he did this week.

• We Z says:

I agree. Preston has such a gripping sound to his voice. I’m really sorry to see him go. I agree the last 2 tunes he sang were unorthodox choices and may not have showcased his sound the best. I really hope to hear him in the future.

• Jane says:

Totally agree! I watched mainly to hear Preston, who is the only unique sound of the bunch.

22. Dreme says:

Funny, how Michael’s prediction of Preston Pohl as a mortal lock to advance from Team Adam did not get mention here…

• Michael Slezak says:

Now, now…let’s not act like I don’t own my opinions and biases every week on Reality Check — or that I won’t do that in our upcoming episode. (Hey, if I didn’t, Melinda Doolittle would have my head on a spike!) ;)

23. Canadian Fan says:

Josh and Kat will be sent home probably next week. Don’t see them stick around for long. Austin and Jonny won’t last very long either…One bad song choice is all it takes to send any of them home. Adam and Ceelo are notorious with herendous song choices!

24. David says:

The only surprise tonight was the group performances high degree of awfulness. Otherwise, the Top 12 is comprised completely of the artists who performed the best on iTunes from the blind auditions through the live rounds (when votes actually counted). No surprises in the Top 12 whatsoever.

• AB says:

I think you are the first to point those truly awful group performances. Painful to listen to. Surprisingly, I thought that Blake’s team did the best of the sorry bunch–and individually I don’t think any of Blake’s singers stand much of a chance this year.

25. Diversity? says:

In terms of the actual voices that went through, I’m not wholly disappointed. However, I am very saddened by the lack of diversity in the top 12. There aren’t many people with non white ethnic backgrounds. I think that’s very

• Chuck Finley says:

Yay the racist is here to play the race card! This is The Voice, not The Voice plus Skin Color. I mean really, you are saying that people who are not as talented as others should have been advanced to have a more “diverse” group in the finals, which would mean this no longer a singing contest.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I disagree with this part: “not as talented as others…” Both Tamara and Stephanie had talent, the decision to eliminate either were close calls at best, and probably had more to lack of iTunes sales. For the sake of reading comprehension, the commenter was disappointed in the lack diversity and did not say or imply in any way that Tamara or Stephanie should have been chosen merely because they were African American. You are the one who made that HUGE leap, Chuck. Is too much to ask that you read and understand the entirety of the 2 sentences before *you* play your race card?

• Chuck Finley says:

Diversity, liberal code for racism against white people. In expressing their disappointment of a lack of diversity the poster is implying that there was a racial aspect to who got through and who didn’t. Minorities have zero issue if all the finalists are not white, but if the majority are white there is a problem all of a sudden. Sorry, but I have no patience for those who try to disguise their racism under the banner of diversity. The show had PLENTY of diversity among contestants from the start. If those minority contestants fail to advance, it’s because they don’t sell on itunes and the public doesn’t vote for them. The last thing a show needs is to trade their credibility as musicians and singers to advance someone based on their race and not their talent. At some point, every single person except one is getting kicked off the show, so deal with it.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Dude, you are taking this show entirely too seriously. It clearly doesn’t matter who wins, it’s just a bit of fun. At least it’s supposed to be… Diversity means different things to different people. Thanks for the bizarre rant though… I doubt if you know what all “minorities” think about anything, but you are right there is “thinly veiled racism” at play, except it’s not so “thin.”

• lovinthavoice says:

It’s not racist. It’s an honest observation. There were some very talented individuals who left the show. I find it odd though that some of the ethnically diverse contestants were given either god awful songs (Tamara Chaunice) or songs that didn’t work well for them (Preston and Amber Nicole). People said they were sentenced to elimination by default. These three are amazing singers and have better voices than some who made it through to the next round, and they happen to be non white. Chew on that a little. Let’s be frank the show is not 100% fair and equal, some people get through because they have famous sisters and because they have a good back story. The show and its producers want to push people they feel have more appeal and a person’s background may or may not hurt them. Race is still an issue whether you want to recognize it or not. It’s the world we live in. The show is only about the voice during the blinds, after that people can practice their right to be biased. So I disagree with you, it’s not only a singing competition.

• HTGR says:

OTOH white contestants have won on these shows less than their percentage of the general population and the one racial group that has won more than their percentage of the population is the one you are crying foul over so I’m not entirely sold on your point. Granted these are small numbers and it’s not random selection so statistics are tricky here.
          If their is one group who might cry foul, especially on AI and XF, maybe not on The Voice, it’s Northerners and Californians hah, despite the huge populations in those regions they have virtually and never, respectively, won on these shows or even made the finals for the most part, no matter how good (this applies more to XF and AI though).

• Chuck Finley says:

So it’s not racist, but you turn right around and say these minority contestants where basically plotted against and given poor songs to sing so they could be eliminated? Sorry, but you are making direct allegations of racism against the show. I have to disagree that these were “amazing singers” that got eliminated. In fact, there are only one or two truely “amazing singers” even on the show this season. Shelbie Z could sing fairly well, did she get eliminated for being heavy set or just because she was white? Of course neither of those things are true, people just didn’t buy her iTunes music and she lost. iTunes decides who wins this show at this point more than anything.

• Tom22 says:

I noticed they purposely eliminated all of the blonde contestants. I don’t think Adam made sure there was a Jewish contestant either. They had a gay guy and got rid of him FOUL .. and which one is a lesbian ? I think Jonny should give us a dna sample so we can be sure of what slot to put him in — does he count as italian or is he hispanic.. I can’t tell. Do creoles count as black ? Ray must have some creole in him.. how much does he need? How many Miley Cyrus songs does a guy need to sing till he counts as a white blonde.. Wait ? is Miley actualy a blonde move that wrecking ball in that video hunny and lets figure that one out?

26. Sly says:

Quit doing those horrible group numbers!

• Gailer says:

I was thinking of Idol tonight when they do that.

• sleepyseas says:

Ditto! They were awful!

• Angie_Overrated says:

God, I know. Even the good singers sounded terrible. Jacquie had several flat out wrong notes, leaving one to wonder if her breakout performance on Tuesday was a fluke? But I think the real answer is that no one can sound good in them.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Isn’t it amazing how even the best singers sound awful in those things?!

• Tom22 says:

I love the group numbers ! These singing shows are variety shows.. the competition aspect is only a side line. They have the song and dance with the guest numbers and the hosts “coaches” gagging around like sonny and cher etc…
      Thats why these shows will last.. not for the competition but for the live entertainment and stuff.

27. Angie_Overrated says:

I screamed twice in disgust during the results show: once when the least talented singer in the history of reality singing competitions was saved (Kat) and then again when Christina saved Josh instead of Stephanie Anne. My throat will be hoarse for a week. I turned my tv off in abject horror and dismay after the Stephanie Anne debacle.

There are simply not enough words in the English language to describe how bad Kat is. I just can’t… words escape me. And poor Stephanie Anne. So talented yet so consistently screwed by her coaches. Had she been a pretty hot thang I think her outcome would have sadly been rather different, despite the name of the show.

• Kaba says:

Hey, hey.
      You can get over it now,
      It’s not like she’s going to win.

• ET says:

I don’t like Kat. But, seriously, you think she is worse than Camile Velasco??? LOL!!!!

• S Blanton says:

I agree and am sad that she went home, however the pyt Olivia went home too and she was adorable and also better than Josh, therefore I don’t think looks had anything to do with her decision. Stephanie or Olivia should have been saved, but not just saved, voted for by America.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I hope Jacquie lives up to her hype because otherwise a very talented person was sent home for no good reason. Josh was a strange choice, but maybe we should give Christina the benefit of the doubt. She’s the only real singer of the 4 mentors, and maybe she’s hearing something I haven’t.

• Michelle M. says:

Listen to the studio version of “Crazy” by Josh and you will hear what she hears. A fantastic, seasoned voice!

• Blind but not deaf says:

Id say Adam Levine is a singer, and your opinion is biased, or you are just that ignorant. Just because the FLAVOR of singing isn’t to your liking , does not mean they are not a real singer. Secondly your comment up to this point only further justify my belief your view on who can sing and can not sing is purely based on your emotion.
          Get a clue on judging real talent, and not just your emotional feeling towards it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m not biased at all. I’m a professional singer, and I coach professional singers. Not sure where your argument is coming from, but you’re way off base here, buddy.
            And I think you’re confusing the emotion I have for the people who can sing their faces off (i.e., Christina Aguilera) vs those who have the technique of a first-year student (Kat). Yes, I am emotional when it comes to these assessments, but only because I’ve objectively assessed their abilities, not because of any random favoritism based on anything other than vocal and musical aptitude.

• HTGR says:

Sometimes I think you are too much in teacher mode and lose sight of the big picture.
            (although sometimes, oddly enough, maybe not enough in teacher more, since how can you think it’s good when Candice goes so overboard with re-writes and runs that you don’t even know what anthem she is singing by the end? and even with Stephanie, although I did like her from the start, and still like her, to not once point out that maybe she just did a trace too much of the going all over the place?)

• LB says:

Angie_Overrated, what constitutes a “real singer” in your opinion and why is Christina the only one in the panel of mentors?

• Jacob says:

It’s insulting to the other three coaches to say that Christina is the only real singer among them. She is most likely the best, sure, but if you can’t see the skill in Adam, Cee Lo, and yes, also Blake’s vocals, I don’t know what to tell you. They excel at what they do.

• HTGR says:

Well that ‘least talented singer in the history of reality singing’ also just happened to be the only one to save their group number from becoming a total train wreck. Just saying. And don’t even try to bring up that ridiculata about how even William Huang has better vocals since even you have to know that is plain objectively wrong.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Seriously, I still put her in that camp. I stand by that statement. She’s just hotter and can do roundhouse kicks, but vocally they’re on par with each other.

• HTGR says:

I hope your vocal students don’t pay you then. That’s simply absurd if you are claiming that you mean that 100% literally.

• BrazenSongBird says:

Holy Hyperbole, Batman! Kat’s got some issues, but she’s certainly not the worst to ever grace a reality stage. Mostly what Kat needs is to learn how to properly breathe. Her pitch is mostly good and dropping out of the phrase will diminish with better technique (“g-“). So will the slightly wide vibrato. But overall, I think she has the goods to make it as a rocker. Actually I would have liked Kat and Gray to switch songs this week. I think it would have worked out better. As for one of the worst, I give you Lazaro.

28. I am completely shocked Preston didn’t get through. I know his song choices were not living up to Electric Feel in the blinds but that performance alone solidified him as one of my favorite artists to ever be on one of these shows. I am so disappointed. Love Will but honestly, he’s not nearly as good as his dad (Bill Champlin) and Preston’s studio recordings were fantastic. What a loss. He’s truly a unique talent.

• sleepyseas says:

I can’t believe Preston’s gone. Stunned.

• Jules says:

Whose to say Will isn’t as talented as his Dad?? Who says they even need to be compared? Why is that necessary? Will is PLENTY talented on his own and I’m sure is grateful to be out of his Dad’s shadow for once. I’m personally rooting for Matthew but I’ve appreciated all of Will’s performances. Preston is good but in my opinion I never believed he was connecting with what he was singing. The only time he showed any connection was during his Blind. Will, on the other hand, has been singing from his SOUL. I feel it every time he opens his mouth. I’m sure Adam would’ve wanted Preston to be voted in so he didn’t have to be put in that position but at least he was objective enough to do the right thing in the end.

29. Davey says:

I was so glad Will was saved over Preston who really hasn’t improved seen his audition. And Tamara was better than Kat. Sad to see Stephanie go but I hope she finds encouragement elsewhere.

30. Kenneth says:

Since every mentor’s SAVE charted higher on iTunes than the singers that were cut, there are no surprises here. But, unless they have a break-out moment next week, they’re probably toast anyway. (Personally rooting for Will and Ray to pull it off.)

• Chuck Finley says:

This guy gets it. This show is about making money and iTunes decides who stays and who guys. At this point voting is a waste of time. If you wanted people wanted Preston to stay so badly then why didn’t they buy his music?

• MamaLis says:

No kidding! Isn’t that interesting!
      Plus, it’s like I said earlier about Preston, he was flatlining. And I say that as someone that was hoping for a Preston “win!” If he wasn’t incrementally getting worse, he most definitely was incrementally inching down from his Electric Eel Pole Position – and Adam clearly saw that.
      Also, as a seasoned guitar player, I kept wondering why he wasn’t willing to break it out – just to add to the whole experience. Between that and the questionable song choices, perhaps he had a more limited point of view, whereas Will, I believe, is really ready to grow.

31. Adam says:

I can’t @ Christina choosing Josh over Stephanie. She was supposed to go further. I guess the fourth time’s definitely not a charm for her. But boy, did she have nine lives prior to the live rounds? I’ll be missing you Steph :(. Btw, is it just me or does Caroline look a bit like Lena Dunham?

32. Matthew vs Chen in the end? says:

I think Tamara & Stephanie should have been voted through….. not only do they have amazing pipes, they’re each VERY classy

33. Leslie says:

I was so disappointed that they didn’t pick Preston.
    I hope someone picks him up and produces a disc!

34. Jim says:

So glad that I was wrong, and that Adam saved Will over Preston. I agreed with all of the coach choices, except for Xtina’s. I would have taken either girl over Josh. Particularly with Team Blake eliminating the only other country singer earlier in the show, Christina may have had the opportunity to corner that voting bloc by putting Olivia through.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@Jim. Now, that’s good strategy. I didn’t see Olivia on the charts – that probably had something to do with her ouster.

• Misilin says:

I totally believed Will was going after the first two names were called but to my surprise Adam saved my Will. This guy is the under dog in this competition and funny that he is the most talented both in song delivery or creatively. Anyone could see he was shocked to hear his name and that drive is what will bring out the best in him.

35. Rod says:

Xtina is going to catch a lot of heat for decision tonight. Expect lots of deserved criticism for not sticking with Stephanie Anne. Josh will be out next week because if it, no matter how well he does.

• analythinker says:

Who’s to say Stephanie won’t be the one eliminated next week if she takes Josh’s spot? All I know is Matthew and Jacquie are really solid and they have had more memorable performances than Steph. I’m just saying.

• Emma says:

good point. I liked Stephanie Anne but in all honesty I couldn’t see her outlasting Jacquie or Matt so I guess it doesn’t matter if she went home this week or next. I’m glad Christina stole her back and gave her a shot in the live rounds, I just wish she had picked a better song for her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Word. Stephanie Anne will be sorely missed. Although I think I’m done with the show until Kat is out. Not sure even the mute button would allow me to watch this as long as she is still in this. I’m guessing that will be sooner rather than later (fingers crossed).

• The Guest says:

It didn’t matter who Christina’s save was going to be. You may personally like Stephanie more than Josh or Olivia, but common sense should tell you that Matthew and Jacquie are Christina’s chosen ones and that they’re going to be on the show long after the Christina save goes bye bye.

Same with CeeLo’s team. It’s Caroline and no one else, and everyone else will be going home early.

36. Elena says:

Am I the only one who’s ticked that CeeLo chose Kat? I’m sorry but her singing voice makes me cringe.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No you’re not. Kat is monumentally untalented and possibly mentally ill on top of that. She sucks more than any Voice contestant has ever sucked before.

• Canadian Fan says:

My whole family is with you on that. My son thinks Kat was a kick-boxer, not a singer. If an eleven-year-old gets it, lots of others should get it too. I think Kat will be sent home next week, with Josh.

• Emma says:

OK now that was way offside. It’s fine if you want to say over and over and over again that you don’t like her singing & performing style, but to suggest she’s mentally ill is crossing a line. Not cool. I don’t care for her either but I’m still offended by your comment.

37. S Blanton says:

Although I am highly disappointed that Olivia didn’t make it, as well as Shelby Z, I don’t think they would have made it to the top anyway. Do they deserve to be there? More so than some that were saved but would they have made it past Jacquie, Tessanne and Will? No. They are the three to beat with Jacquie leading the pack!

• ET says:

I don’t see how Olivia could have gone far…. Shelbie might’ve lasted a few more weeks.

• Jeffrey Cook says:

Totally agreed. Jacquie has improved more with each performance than any other artist on the show. I think I’d have to put Matthew and Caroline in with the favorites.
      That said, I’m rooting for Jacquie, and I never would have guessed I would be at this point.

38. karole shivak says:

I don’t think this crop is nearly as good as the last season, the group numbers were not exciting on any level.But all of these singers are head and shoulders above the talent at x-factor.

• ET says:

I didn’t think any of the group numbers tonight were good; but, they were MONUMENTALLY better than the ones on X-Factor last night. That show is already sucking big time this season!!!

39. analythinker says:

Finally, I called every single save right, by America or by the coaches!

40. danin says:

Cole& Austin? Oh come on now.

41. AlyB says:

I would have loved to hear more from Stephanie and I think Tamara delivered more of a consistently solid vocal than Kat & should have gotten the nod. This was a brutal bloodbath of a cut. Overall though, the people I like the best and want to see go deep, made it through so I’m happy & relieved at the results.

42. Kaba says:

Guess I’m in the minority that actually enjoys Kat’s voice.
    I have a hard time buying that there are genuinely poor singers on a show that requires so many prelim auditions in order for one to be able to audition in front of the coaches in the first place.
    Maybe if walk-ins were a commonplace theme such as on Xfactor and AI.
    I can only recall ever pegging Erin Martin of season 2 as a flat out piss singer. Otherwise it’s just appeared that people have just been weaker singers or just poor performers.

• Jeffrey Cook says:

I don’t mind Kat when she’s in her range as a rock singer. I also think she partly got saved because she’s a better performer than she is a singer – and it can make a difference. Even when she misses notes, she can be entertaining to watch.
      I don’t think she’s going to last much longer though.

43. Josie says:

I really think Christina should’ve saved Stephanie or Olivia, and Ceelo should’ve saved Amber or Tamara. Also I’m a little surprised that Shelbie didn’t make it. I have to say although I love Ray, I really think there’s no way Blake is going to win a fourth season in a row.

44. Cee Lo would have a much stronger team if he had Juhi. Understand the push for a rocker chick but Kat is just not all that. And someone needs to ‘splain them pants! What the heck is a zipper doing diagonally across her groin? Was it meant to distract from the voice or from the bad bangs (or fringe if you’re from across the pond)?

45. The Guest says:

Do the saves really mean much? You don’t know how they fared in the voting compared to other teams, but you do know at least two performers got more votes than them. Other than the Swon Brothers, have any saves gone on to make an impact on the show?

46. Spycigal says:

What’s very interesting is that for all 4 teams the Top 3 were also the Top 3 for each team on iTunes….

• So, in other words, which makes sense, the coaches chose based on sales. After all THEY want to win. If their people’s songs aren’t being purchased, then why keep them?

• Spycigal says:

Exactly! To win this competition you need to sell well on iTunes! I do wish they’d change the voting rules on this… if you hit top 10 get a bonus to get you to the next round but don’t let it accumulate beyond top 5

47. Steven says:

A knock against the Voice is that it has not produced any stars the way American Idol has. That is going to change this year. Unfortunately – Adam (and America) let the artist who is going to go on to fame and fortune leave the show tonight.

48. Lanne Farrel says:

Really disappointed that Preston is gone. Adam always touted him as a great blues and soul singer and then chooses Bruno Mars…really? Wish Preston had picked CeeLo for his coach. I think he understands Preston’s voice and talent. I hope some savvy record producer picks him up. Need more music from Preston Pohl!! Msg for Preston-forget everything Adam taught you. No more The Voice for me!

• HTGR says:

Preston and CeeLo probably would’ve worked better than Johnny and CeeLo.

• We Z says:

I completely agree. Really, really bummed. And, ahem music producers, ready to pay for a lot more of that Preston Sound! It’s really unique.

• OMG, I totally agree with you! Preston is the best singer, so unique! And then Adam picks a Bruno Mars song for him! I think it really hurt him with the voters. Preston should’ve picked CeeLo over Adam for sure. Will did a fantastic job on his song, but Adam chose a great song for him, he didn’t do that for Preston. Pisses me off so bad! I can’t believe Preston is out…

49. David says:

I really liked Preston, wish he would have stayed other then Tess. Agree with every other result though. I think James is my favorite ATM.

50. Andrew says:

I like Preston.. His voice is just golden can’t see why Will is so popular.. I see him knocking out a possible front runner from the show probably one from his own team maybe… Top 6 is looking though like there might not be anybody from Blake’s team there (They better step up their game)