The Voice Live Playoffs Results Recap: Did the Right Singers Make the Top 12?

The Voice - Season 5 Team AdamIn the spirit of total honesty, I have to make a confession: Whenever Cee Lo Green serves up his usual blend of word salad on The Voice, my brain goes all fuzzy like an old black-and-white TV set with faulty bunny ears. (Cut to all of the show’s teenage contestants: “What do you mean by black-and-white TV set? And what does a TV have to do with bunnies?”)

But on tonight’s Live Playoffs results telecast — which whittled the Season 5 field from 20 vocalists down to a lean, mean 12 — the henna-headed, eccentric coach delivered a message that not only made sense, but was poignant enough that it bears repeating.

“This is my most uncomfortable moment. I don’t enjoy this at all,” said Cee Lo, as he was asked to choose one artist from among the three lowest vote-getters on his team. After making the confession, however, he added a entreaty to the audience: “Please continue to support these aspiring artists.”

I know I’m a cynical bastard who spends a lot of time snarking about the highs and lows of the country’s various reality singing extravaganzas, but Cee Lo’s appeal resonated with me. When you lose eight legitimately talented vocalists from a competition in the course of an hour, there’s no way to do it without some real pain. Dreams get crushed. Potential gets stifled. Our own votes and hopes get upended.

But the beauty of a show like The Voice is that even the fallen gladiators live on — in dive bars and arenas and clubs across the country, with singles and albums and EPs on iTunes. Me? I’m gonna download that Matt Cermanski CD I’ve been meaning to buy for three weeks now. Which ousted Voice contestant will you vote for with your wallet tonight or in the future? It’s worth thinking about…

Anyway, with that small slice of sentimentality in the books — don’t get used to it, people! — let’s jump to the night’s results:

TEAM BLAKE

Saved by Xtina: Josh Logan
Eliminated: Stephanie Anne Johnson, Olivia Henken

TEAM ADAM
Voted through by America: James Wolpert, Tessanne Chin
Saved by Adam: Will Champlin
Eliminated: Grey, Preston Pohl

No jaw-dropping surprises, I suppose, though I’d say that Ray’s failure to land in the Top 2 on Team Blake was unexpected. As for the coaches’ decisions, I really wish that Xtina had rescued Stephanie Anne over Josh, and that Cee Lo would’ve rescued either Amber or Tamara, seeing how his heinous song choices doomed them before they’d sung a single note.

What did you think of tonight’s Voice results? Were you shocked by any of the voting tallies? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ Saves? Sound off below! And for all my reality TV recaps, news, commentary and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (365)

• Not upset about anything that happened, except for Stephanie leaving over Josh. Really Christina? Josh over Stephanie?

Comment by Ryan – November 7, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stephanie Anne was awful. Anyone saying she should stay over Josh is tone deaf. The girl can’t sing and only got this far due to fortunate battle and knock out pairings.

Comment by Kye – November 7, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed.

Comment by Carolyn – November 7, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can nitpick one or two decisions, but I can also say without a doubt that this is the very strongest Top 12 in the history of the show. All of them are amazing. They might even be better than any overall Top 12 in this history of American Idol.

Comment by Lumplestilskin – November 7, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hmmm… there’s some talent, but there’s a lot of duds too. Blake’s whole team is bottom-half fodder, Cee-Lo only has Caroline while Christina and Adam have some talent that will all depend on where we go from here. Adam and Christina (but particularly Adam) have a history of destroying their contestants with ludicrous song choices.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:49 PM PDT
      • I agree. Stephanie Anne was subpar throughout the show and she was just TERRIBLE during the Live show.

Comment by wat – November 7, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yet ironically it was the three who made it through on Christina’s team who hit multiple wrong notes. Not sure what you’re basing this judgment on, but it’s certainly not based on pitch accuracy.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • um, you’re saying Jacquie hit multiple wrong notes? I think your ears need cleaning.

Comment by Mike – November 7, 2013 08:05 PM PDT
          • Hmm. I’ve liked Stephanie all along but I didn’t think her Georgia was all that. She mumbled through and swallowed some of it. I don’t know if you heard Kendra a few season back on AI during her save, but from what I recall that was noticeably more precisely and powerfully done. That said I absolutely would have saved Stephanie over Josh (but not way over Matthew or Jacquie).

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:33 PM PDT
          • Stephanie sometimes did a little too much like the week before, but it was still very good and the tad extra could easily be reigned in (although I know you see to love the over the over the top stuff adding in ten thousand things like last season’s AI winner, who had an amazing voice, but just went crazy with the runs and sometimes in places that just killed the amazing moment she had just built to, and I mean when she did the Star Bangled banner before the ball game she sounded so amazing to start and then quickly went so out of control with runs and re-writes I literally didn’t even know what country’s anthem she was singing by the end, at least Angie ;) took comments to heart and learned what not to overdo and what to do more of).
            But anyway I don’t mean to be getting on Stephanie since I think she was arguably the biggest loss of tonight (although Preston’s tone was something).

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:44 PM PDT
          • Yes, Mike. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Jacquie did indeed hit multiple wrong notes. My ears do not need to be cleaned. Listen again and tell me you don’t hear that. If you still can’t, then it’s your ears that need to be cleaned.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 8, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
          • This is SO wrong. Jacquie and Matthew were pitch perfect this week (as they almost always are, by the way!). Josh, indeed, hit multiple wrong notes.

Comment by Luiz – November 8, 2013 11:10 AM PDT
      • I ain’t tone deaf (far from it), and you’re wrong.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Phew! I thought I might be one of the only people who did not like Jacquie’s performance on Monday. It WASN’T pitchy (meaning out of tune/off-key) but it was so sharp and shrill and shriek-y I did not enjoy it at all.

Comment by MariMari – November 8, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • In music sharp is usually meant as form of ‘pitchiness’ so I think there is a lot of confusing going on here since some are taking it to mean something else and then everyone is getting confused.

Comment by HTGR – November 8, 2013 12:31 PM PDT
        • Sorry, but you ARE tone deaf Angie–maybe you have a head cold or something, because that girl hit every note dead on….

Comment by PFitzDC – November 8, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, she kinda was not right.. I rather Xtina picked Olivia though.

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stephanie can sing. However, she mumbled some of her words in her last performance thereby making it inaudible at times. I think Christina made the right decision. All I can say is that this is going to be a dude fest this season. My faves are still Tessanne, Will, James and Matthew.

Comment by Tyler – November 7, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess a dude fest won’t be SO bad after the chick fests that were American Idol season 12 and The Voice season 4.

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • stephanie lost both her battle round and knock out but still survived. that’s something!

Comment by rfealitychick – November 7, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really! Stephanie is so much more interesting and diverse.

Comment by cjinsd – November 7, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, that was a tough choice. Both Josh and Stephanie have strengths and weaknesses – but somebody had to go. Stephanie is a bit more interesting as a singer to me, but Josh has “real” talent as well.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My problem with Josh is not lack of talent, it is how he uses his talent. He rarely deviates from the original and almost imitates the original singer.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloonie) – November 7, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Dan. This is an extremely valid point. It is also one of the reasons that I found Stephanie more interesting. She really played with notes and her interpretation. I’ll miss that….

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I will too. I liked her a lot. She had a tendency to over embellish but that’s something that can be reined in with the right coaching. I really liked some of her creative choices. That said, I do like Josh. This was a tough cut.

Comment by AlyB – November 7, 2013 07:42 PM PDT
    • Yes. Oh yes. Josh OVER Stephanie. A million times YES.

The Top 20 proved kinda predictable, since about 90% of my predictions and 100% of my faves went through (and I can’t give myself credit for being spot-on—I usually never am). Happiest about Will Champlin. The guy is radio-friendly and has excellent taste in music. Adam better not screw his chances with his off-kilter coaching and oddball song choices. That said, excited for the Top 12!

Comment by gravity – November 7, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you so much. Josh can go. All the way home. Not a fan.

Comment by Brandon Taylor – November 7, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would have preferred Stephanie but I can’t say that I am upset with Christina’s decision. She could have made a strong argument for selecting any one of her 3 remaining singers. I thought that Blake, Ceelo and Adam absolutely made the right decisions with Ray, Kat and Will.

Comment by Chris – November 7, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agreed with Ryan. Josh over Stephanie? Really Christina?

Comment by Paola – November 8, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does anyone care about Preston Adam should have saved him he was my favorite but I do like will,James,and Tessan

Comment by Micah Spaulding – November 8, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Preston has a gift and I hope to see him move on to great things in the music industry. Was truly shocked that Adam did not save him. But am confident that the exposure on the show will open many doors. GOOD LUCK PRESTON.

Comment by John Egan – November 9, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Preston was my favorite. I was surprised Adam didn’t save him, but figured that Adam may have thought he was pretty much launched already and that there wasn’t much he (Adam) could do to improve upon that smokey voice. Hope some record man is out there to put him on a label.

Comment by Eric Petersen – November 10, 2013 05:09 AM PDT
          • Preston going home was a huge mistake.

Comment by Kat – November 10, 2013 08:11 PM PDT
          • Preston Pohl got robbed, he was the best on team Adam !!! I have listened to his version
            of “Nothing on you” over & over !!!!!!!

Comment by Kim Whitley – November 16, 2013 07:59 AM PDT
        • Preston was the BEST! Could not believe Adam responded that way. I know music and that man could sing anything.

Comment by Angela – November 20, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I totally agree about Preston. :) He was my favorite. I do like Will and Ray a lot, though.

Comment by Melanie – January 20, 2014 09:55 PM PDT
    • Christina wants to win this competition so bad she doesn’t hesitate to use everything to make this happen. Very disappoint ((( plus her singer doesn’t have an amazing voice. Yes, this girl definitely has a hearing and an average voice, most of the time she is not singing she is yelling, that is what make a different between her and people who has a VOICE , for example Tessanne.

Comment by Nath – December 9, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone but Team Blake was correct. The bottom 3 should have been the top 3.

Comment by Jacqi – November 7, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will agree with that.

Comment by S Blanton – November 7, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dang.I said the same thing.

Comment by danin – November 7, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nic? Hmmm… tough pill to swallow, but I agree with the other two.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was surprised both Austin and Cole won America’s vote since they’re really kinda similar (acoustic, bearded singer-songwriter white dudes). Thought there might be vote-splitting there.

MY top 3 would’ve been:

Ray
      Shelbie
      Cole

Comment by Brandon – November 7, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1. My question is why is Shelbie gone? I really enjoyed not only her voice but her delivery. So sad!

Comment by BrazenSongBird – November 8, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Shelbie was eliminated by America because she is fat. American is shallow.

Comment by dani – November 26, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ???????

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How can you say that? So wrong on your part!

Comment by Dm – November 7, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I partially agree. I still would have kept Cole over Nic, but I definitely think Ray and Shelbie deserved to be the 2 voted through. Austin has talent, admittedly, but something about him leaves me cold. His voice does nothing for me.

I think America got it wrong in some cases, but I think all four judges made the right calls. I’m a big fan of both Josh and Stephanie, so I would have been happy with either one. I had a feeling it was gonna be Josh, though, since she’s been invested in him since the beginning. No complaints about Adam’s team, either. Cee Lo made the right call picking Kat based on originality and star quality, although I would have replaced Jonny with Tamara.

Overall, this is looking to be a really good top 12. I really like everyone, except for Austin and Jonny.

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this one!

Comment by angie – November 8, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I, too, wondered if they eliminated in the wrong order…most definitely America would have voted to save Nick Hawk and Shelby Z…not the two fat guys with beards. This will be the first time they will have to apologize and do a corrective show, on Monday, saying they actually eliminated the top 2 rather than saving them. Or they might NOT admit their mistake…which would be so unfair to the real winners, Shelby and Nic.

Comment by Cindy N – November 9, 2013 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised Christina chose Josh over Stephanie Anne. LOL @ Preston fans who thought he’s going to go far. It’s going to be James Wolpert assuming he keeps his iTunes sales.

Comment by woodyinho – November 7, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor Stephanie has to go down in as the first person who lost 3 separate times in a season. I though she was so much better than Josh, but I figured Christina was going to cut her since she’s done it once already.

Comment by Cassandra – November 7, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Will is in the same position as Stephanie, being stolen and then stolen back. And then there’s also that Matt Giraud guy from American Idol who got a wildcard spot AND the judges’ save.

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haven’t watched AI in quite some time, but even if Will loses, Stephanie still will be the first person from The Voice to do so 3 times. I don’t really understand why because I think she’s better than a few that made it through(Kat, I’m looking at you).

Comment by Cassandra – November 7, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Matt GIraud! Now that was a good season of Idol.

Comment by Anise – November 8, 2013 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, but Stephanie lost three rounds in a row! When Will gets kicked off, it will be his third loss, but at least he had a win tonight. Although this is his third round in a row having to be saved by a coach.

Comment by Jacob – November 8, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, but Will was on the toughest and most talented group–Adam’s team. If he was on Blake or CeeLo’s team, I don’t think he would’ve been shuffled around so much.

Comment by Tyler – November 8, 2013 10:51 AM PDT
    • I have absolutely no problem with Preston going and I LOVED his first 2 performances. Will is pretty awesome and more versatile, I think. Preston’s last performance showed he had some limitations that Will simply did not. That was the right choice all the way. And if we are talking iTune sales, Will hung out at the top a lot longer than Preston – and is still there…. The judges would be crazy to ignore sales.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. I’m glad Adam saved Will. Will proved he deserves to be in the Top 12. I think he should make it to the Top 6 at the very least.

Comment by Tyler – November 7, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so pissed CeeLo chose Kat over Tamara. He saddled her with one of the worst song choices in the history of the show, it’s no wonder America didn’t vote for her. She killed that song(in the best way possible).Also really sad to see Shelbie Z. go but Ray is pretty awesome so I’m not angry with him.

Comment by Cassandra – November 7, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should I be more surprised Shelbie didn’t make it? I can’t decide if I am shocked the country vote didn’t go for her. She did have a perfect voice, but was not vulnerable.

Comment by Gailer – November 7, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, vulnerability is a interesting theory… I couldn’t figure out why voters weren’t going for her. Oh well…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was a bit put off by her cocky/smug look, at times. Maybe personality means a lot. Danielle was all smiles, I think.

Comment by analythinker – November 7, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh I remember last season when they would announce who was going through to the next week and Danielle almost always had a smug look on her face as if she knew she was going through for sure!

Comment by Christobel – November 7, 2013 09:08 PM PDT
          • Danielle was cute 16 and Shelbie Boo Boo, well, too Boo Boo like… I’m glad she’s gone.

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 09:17 PM PDT
          • Yes I agree. She was too cocky.

Comment by jill – November 7, 2013 10:23 PM PDT
        • I think she was fairly dull the first few weeks and built up zero early base.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Everything happens so fast on this show. I wish the contestants had 2 more weeks collectively to evolve.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 8, 2013 06:15 AM PDT
      • Not surprised… she did not have the look. She was too Shelbie Boo Boo pageant like.

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m toughest on the Genre I like most sometimes. I’m partial to a certain style of blues and if I hear some-one doing blues a different way than I prefer, I’m very critical . Its worse for them to take a style I like “the wrong way”(really “not my way” ) than for someone to be mediocre in a field I don’t know as much about. If I connect with someone in another genre I might be more forgiving about how they “aren’t doing it right”. Not knowing too much about the current female country scene I can’t say.. but from what I have heard the “vulnerable” theory makes a lot of sense…either bad girl or vulnerable and even the bad girls need to always poke some fun at themselves don’t they? Again, not my genre.

Comment by Tom22 – November 7, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It looks like country music is out this season. No Shelbie or Olivia. There has got to be manipulation involved. It looks like a rock and R&B music season.

Comment by Tyler – November 7, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m fine with that. There was way too much country last season.

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!

Comment by Matthew vs Chen in the end? – November 7, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. How can Cee Lo seriously chose Kat over Tamara? The only competition, as female, left to challenge Tessanne Chin, who I’m rooting for by the way. Done know

Comment by Hugh – November 7, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think CeeLo has a soft spot for Tessanne and wants her to win. I hope that answers your question about why he chose Kat.

Comment by Tyler – November 8, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Uh, no. I can almost promise you that CeeLo is not in this to “let” Adam’s team win. No matter how much he bonded with the contestant the first week.

Comment by MamaLis – November 8, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tamara is really good, then again she didn’t quite fully deliver tonight’s groups song, which really shouldn’t have been tough for her. Kat was the only one who sounded really good throughout the whole group song tonight.
      And she brings something different to the show that would’ve been missing with Tamara there instead. So glad he saved Kat!

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Ray was old fashioned so I wasn’t surprised.
    I am glad Adam went with Will.
    Josh was a surprise save to me but probably ok with who Xtina had to choose from.

Comment by Gailer – November 7, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t really fault the decisions. I would have preferred to keep Stephanie around for awhile longer, but the rest of the decisions were correct.

Comment by GingerSnap – November 7, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of my favorites went home and I was still okay with every choice. Somebody’s got to go. I will miss Stephanie though…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I figure the fans’s get to speak on the first two slots. The judges are also real people with insanely busy lives…. and they have a passion for music itself and whether they’re getting paid millions for it or not. their time is real to them on personal level.. they know what a long shot it is to catch the public taste ..talent isn’t the half of it.. so at this point, i can’t fault them.. I probably respect them for choosing based on what they feel they can contribute.

Comment by Tom22 – November 7, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they could have saved some time at the end there if they wouldn’t have pretended that anyone besides Jacquie Lee, and Matthew Schuler were going to be voted thru and just went straight to the elimination

Comment by Joe – November 7, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about saving Stephanie over Josh. I enjoy her blend of blues, folk, and jazz.

Comment by Generation Above Me (@TheGenAboveMe) – November 7, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Preston and Stephanie could be added to the mix, but I will have to support them offline, like you said. I think the talent has been really good this year, so it’s hard to lose so many people at once.

Comment by dj – November 7, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – I think Preston especially had such a cool sound and was so smooth in front of the audience. I think Adam made a mistake.

Comment by Dee Lee – November 7, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Adan made a huge mistake letting Preston go. He was so fantastic and unique and current. The show will not be the same without Preston.

Comment by steph – November 7, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Preston was best of top 20. Not surprised by Adam’s choice as much as “America’s” Guess I should vote.

Comment by S B – November 7, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely!! Preston was by far the best of them all!!

Comment by Amanda C Milton (@mandymarch) – November 7, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think Preston had any chance of winning which is why he wasn’t saved. I found his voice weak actually.

Comment by Davey – November 7, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s funny how people harp on Preston’s lack of range but can that not be said about Caroline? That could not be more evident in the group number. But people love her because of her unique voice.

I personally love Preston’s unique voice and am sad to see him go so early. But I also love Will so it’s tough.

Comment by Patricia Lieu – November 8, 2013 10:48 AM PDT
          • I don’t love Caroline because she’s one-dimensional. I don’t see what’s so great about her.

Comment by Lee – November 8, 2013 11:01 AM PDT
        • I agree Preston was awesome & unique!!

Comment by Donna – November 8, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of the toughest parts of this show for me is losing so many at once. I barely get a chance to know them and then they are gone.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah those are the two who will be missed above all. That said I’m actually glad he took Will over Preston, although I think I would’ve preferred Preston over James myself (even if James did do better than Preston this week, but that was itt).

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally with you! Except that wasn’t gonna happen!
        I thought for SURE he was going with Preston, and clearly Will thought he was going with Preston! He had a look in his eyes that was READY for bad news, poor guy. But I guess Lucky Guy, cuz he’s in!
        When Adam said, “This might surprise people….” obviously he was well aware that Preston had been a front runner. And honestly, I LOVED Preston! But I think Adam was smart because Preston had really leveled off the last 2-3 weeks. It was like he was incrementally getting worse or at least incrementally coming down off Pole Position.
        Will, on the other hand, has a LOT of offer and I’m totally okay with that pick!

Comment by MamaLis – November 8, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so scared for Will because it appeared to me that Adam and Preston had some kind of bromance thing going on but I’m so happy that he ended up choosing Will.

Comment by what – November 7, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was SOO happy that Will was saved. He is truly something special.

Comment by Kari G – November 7, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was really worried for a minute there. I’m so glad he chose Will. I do think Preston has a really unique voice but Will brings a really interesting vibe to the show & I think his song choices will be more in line with what I like to listen to. I think Adam chose wisely.

Comment by AlyB – November 7, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Will has totally won me over. There is a real vulnerability in his voice.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I jinxed it a few times over the last couple of days. Love Preston’s tone but that song choice really hurt him.

Comment by analythinker – November 7, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was very upset about Preston. I definitely would have picked him over Will.

Comment by Laura – November 7, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, so many people say Caroline looks just like Selena Gomez. To me, she looks just like Caroline Glazer from last season. Or is that just me?
    On another note, damn you Christina and your Josh-over-Stephanie choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan (Haleyloonie) – November 7, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, I meant Jacquie looks like Caroline Glazer.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloonie) – November 7, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way Jacquie looks like Caroline Glaser. Jacquie resembles Selena Gomez. But really if combined Sheryl Cole and Selena Gomez, that would be Jacquie Lee.

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant Cheryl Cole + Selena Gomez = Jacquie Lee :)

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt that CeeLo would’ve been better served by keeping Tamara. Kat was a sentimental choice. I’m happy with Josh over Stephanie. I must be the only one who thoroughly enjoyed his performance (other than Xtina). Teamwise, adam has the strongest team followed closely by Xtina. Xtina is making the best song choices.

Comment by David – November 7, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The playing field has been considerably leveled now so it will be interesting. I like Kat but she is kind of a one-trick pony. Her lower register and ability to be soft or vulnerable are virtually nonexistent. I thought her last performance was really telling in that way.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know about. I think the group song tonight showed the others to be one trick. Caroline was eaten alive by the song and Amber and Tamara were barely hanging on, especially Amber. Kat was the only one who saved the group song tonight. Tamara is pretty awesome, but there are others like her there is no Kat other than Kat this season.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think you can judge Caroline by the group number. She’s never going to do a song like that, it was ludicrous for her to be singing it.

Comment by Davey – November 7, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • yeah true since sometimes the one trick is a very good trick, she’ll be fine as soon as she goes back to her things

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 10:07 PM PDT
        • Kat is unique. There is not doubt about. I guess each shines in different situations. Didn’t she say fronted a band? Maybe a group is the ideal situation for her. I am entirely happy with this top 12 and fully expect/hope to be surprised by Kat next week, because when she’s “on” she’s thoroughly entertaining to me.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 8, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally enjoyed Josh’s performance! And the iTunes version is outstanding! He is real talent. Fantastic voice.

Comment by Michelle M. – November 7, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I predict Jonny gone next week along with (maybe) Kat next week and Ceelo just Ushering it out with Caroline.
    Or if not two from his team, maybe josh as well.

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but I have a lot more faith in Jonny than Kat or Josh.

Comment by JM – November 7, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He may have more votes than either but I don’t know that I have more faith in him. The group song should’ve been in his wheel house tonight and he was OK but it wasn’t much special and only Kat brought it to life at all.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He’s not very good. He’s not even bar band good.

Comment by Sly – November 7, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I beg to differ. First, to HTGR, most of the group numbers were BAD, and even good singers (Michael, Jacquie) sounded bad so IMO, it’s not a good basis for judgement.
            To Sly and all, I urge you to check these singers out on YouTube and listen to their original music. I have, and compared to others like Cole, James, Preston, etc., Jonny writes the best original music and sings his songs beautifully. He posted that he will be putting ‘DMFD’ on itunes soon, and I and many other fans will buy it.

Comment by JM – November 8, 2013 01:41 PM PDT
  • I wanted Shelbie Z, Olivia, and Preston to make it, so I was disappointed they weren’t saved. I agree with others that Stephanie or Olivia should have been saved over Josh. He was my biggest surprise. He’s not nearly as good as the others on the show. Adam definitely had the hardest decision. Will just keeps getting saved by somebody, but I like Preston better.

Comment by debi – November 7, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was a toss up between Christina’s 3… Josh, Olivia or Stephanie Anne, I thought they were pretty equal, talent wise. My advice to Josh going forward… put the hat back on!

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we stop to take the time to notice one big thing you guys? I feel Preston sooner deserved to go through than Will, simply because of how popular he is without even trying.
    “No Woman No Cry” and his song from the other night ended up in the top 100s amazingly, even though those were easily two no so great performances. Whereas, Will has given us one of his bests and has topped as well.
    Look at Preston’s potential. His voice alone was enough to get him into the top 100s even with bland performances. If he were to hit his sweet spot he’d be topping the charts.Thats how I feel

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If he’s as good as you say, they his leaving the show shouldn’t affect his career…..

Comment by ET – November 7, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What kind of limp point is that?
        There have been PLENTY of contestants that have been absolutely insanely good and ARE insanely good that go far before their time and end up not getting the best out of what the opportunity could have offered.
        “Won’t affect his career”
        What?

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You said, “if he were to hit his sweet spot, he’d be topping the charts”. My (not “limp”) point is “does he really NEED The Voice to get him there if he’s THAT good”??? I think you know the answer to that as well as I do….

Comment by ET – November 8, 2013 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s certainly an interesting perspective. I was shocked to see him on the charts at all this week. But he was there, so it is clear he has a fan base, and more importantly, people willing to pay to hear him. It would have been nice to hear him have a breakout performance before he left….

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Preston was easily one of the best and most interesting singers in this competition. With the right songs he could have gone all the way to the end.

Comment by tealeaves – November 8, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really surprised Christina chose Josh, but I would have loved to seeStephanie in the top 12. She was just so down to earth and did something different than what we’re used to seeing with black women (at least in terms of mainstream competitive reality singing programs). But I was really glad that Adam chose Will. And Cee-Lo certainly doomed Tamara Chaunice with that god-awful song choice.

Comment by Karen – November 7, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pleasantly surprised by Adem’s decision to save Will. Good choice over Preston. Blake made the right decision. Still don’t get why Xtina always go out of her way for Josh: what does she see in him? Ceelo sabotaged Tamara with the song choice. He was more into Kat anyway, so no surprise. All in all, sensible decisions from all the coaches.

Comment by Canadian Fan – November 7, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Preston’s voice is infinitely more unique than Will, or anyone, and overall has performed better this year, I think. He should have been saved over Will, 100%.

Comment by Jeff – November 7, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. Will’s performance was amazing and his voice is so unique. He is also very charming. He may have gotten the ladies vote!

Comment by S Blanton – November 7, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Preston, but Will is FAR more creative and interesting, IMO

Comment by Ed – November 7, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agree Will is charming and super talented.

Comment by kk lane (@SpaceboundL) – November 8, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will is by far my favorite Voice of all of them.And he is humble and sweet and has been one of most consistently strong on iTunes.and after. Voting closed he ended up with n 2nd place on his team and 5th overall.

Comment by sasha – November 10, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will Champlin so much more talented, I don’t get the people who can’t see that. Gotta respond about Danielle, yeah she always had a smug look and so boring, my gosh, she won.why

Comment by kk lane – November 8, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry…but am I the only one not mad that Josh was chosen over Stephanie?
    His body of works is just more impressive and more worthwhile than Stephanies. Everyone’s just basing the decision off of what they saw last night, which is a more fair way to judge buut…I understand keeping josh

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Josh has a truly seasoned and wonderful voice. Very talented. I think the judges made the best choices!

Comment by Michelle M. – November 7, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, can’t believe Preston was eliminated. He was SO good! Why did Adam go on and on the other night about his voice and how you can’t buy a signature sound like that and then not put him through? Geez. He was the main reason I was watching and thought he had a chance to win. Wow – I’m shocked. Mostly that the geeky guy got through. Yea, he’s got a good voice, but really – can anyone see him selling tickets to a concert?

Comment by Dee Lee – November 7, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m stunned about Preston! I thought he would win the show! What a voice. The geeky guy, though, I’m happy about – he’s got an alternative appeal.

Comment by sleepyseas – November 7, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hm… you should read 1 of the 960 reviews he has on iTunes. People love James. He still is hanging out at the Top of the charts and he is the first to break into the Top 10 in time enough to earn the multiplier points. It’s not a leap to think people will also go to his concerts. I think his persona is right on trend and his music is current. I am not really a fan, but I get it. This kid is money in the bank and is bound for the Top 3 easily, just by doing what he did this week.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Preston has such a gripping sound to his voice. I’m really sorry to see him go. I agree the last 2 tunes he sang were unorthodox choices and may not have showcased his sound the best. I really hope to hear him in the future.

Comment by We Z – November 7, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I watched mainly to hear Preston, who is the only unique sound of the bunch.

Comment by Jane – November 8, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny, how Michael’s prediction of Preston Pohl as a mortal lock to advance from Team Adam did not get mention here…

Comment by Dreme – November 7, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now, now…let’s not act like I don’t own my opinions and biases every week on Reality Check — or that I won’t do that in our upcoming episode. (Hey, if I didn’t, Melinda Doolittle would have my head on a spike!) ;)

Comment by Michael Slezak – November 7, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Melinda gets sassier every season! But I don’t think she will ever slap you like someone I remember from the past …

Comment by dj – November 7, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh and Kat will be sent home probably next week. Don’t see them stick around for long. Austin and Jonny won’t last very long either…One bad song choice is all it takes to send any of them home. Adam and Ceelo are notorious with herendous song choices!

Comment by Canadian Fan – November 7, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU. You just save me 2 weeks of watching the results show!

Comment by nicole – November 7, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are soooooo right about the “one bad song choice.” That is really where we are now… Let the games begin.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And one GOOD song choice can suddenly make someone popular (James Wolpert). We really shouldn’t count anyone out, IMO.

Comment by JM – November 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only surprise tonight was the group performances high degree of awfulness. Otherwise, the Top 12 is comprised completely of the artists who performed the best on iTunes from the blind auditions through the live rounds (when votes actually counted). No surprises in the Top 12 whatsoever.

Comment by David – November 7, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are the first to point those truly awful group performances. Painful to listen to. Surprisingly, I thought that Blake’s team did the best of the sorry bunch–and individually I don’t think any of Blake’s singers stand much of a chance this year.

Comment by AB – November 7, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In terms of the actual voices that went through, I’m not wholly disappointed. However, I am very saddened by the lack of diversity in the top 12. There aren’t many people with non white ethnic backgrounds. I think that’s very

Comment by Diversity? – November 7, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay the racist is here to play the race card! This is The Voice, not The Voice plus Skin Color. I mean really, you are saying that people who are not as talented as others should have been advanced to have a more “diverse” group in the finals, which would mean this no longer a singing contest.

Comment by Chuck Finley – November 7, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1

Comment by ET – November 7, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree with this part: “not as talented as others…” Both Tamara and Stephanie had talent, the decision to eliminate either were close calls at best, and probably had more to lack of iTunes sales. For the sake of reading comprehension, the commenter was disappointed in the lack diversity and did not say or imply in any way that Tamara or Stephanie should have been chosen merely because they were African American. You are the one who made that HUGE leap, Chuck. Is too much to ask that you read and understand the entirety of the 2 sentences before *you* play your race card?

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Diversity, liberal code for racism against white people. In expressing their disappointment of a lack of diversity the poster is implying that there was a racial aspect to who got through and who didn’t. Minorities have zero issue if all the finalists are not white, but if the majority are white there is a problem all of a sudden. Sorry, but I have no patience for those who try to disguise their racism under the banner of diversity. The show had PLENTY of diversity among contestants from the start. If those minority contestants fail to advance, it’s because they don’t sell on itunes and the public doesn’t vote for them. The last thing a show needs is to trade their credibility as musicians and singers to advance someone based on their race and not their talent. At some point, every single person except one is getting kicked off the show, so deal with it.

Comment by Chuck Finley – November 7, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Dude, you are taking this show entirely too seriously. It clearly doesn’t matter who wins, it’s just a bit of fun. At least it’s supposed to be… Diversity means different things to different people. Thanks for the bizarre rant though… I doubt if you know what all “minorities” think about anything, but you are right there is “thinly veiled racism” at play, except it’s not so “thin.”

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 8, 2013 06:20 AM PDT
      • It’s not racist. It’s an honest observation. There were some very talented individuals who left the show. I find it odd though that some of the ethnically diverse contestants were given either god awful songs (Tamara Chaunice) or songs that didn’t work well for them (Preston and Amber Nicole). People said they were sentenced to elimination by default. These three are amazing singers and have better voices than some who made it through to the next round, and they happen to be non white. Chew on that a little. Let’s be frank the show is not 100% fair and equal, some people get through because they have famous sisters and because they have a good back story. The show and its producers want to push people they feel have more appeal and a person’s background may or may not hurt them. Race is still an issue whether you want to recognize it or not. It’s the world we live in. The show is only about the voice during the blinds, after that people can practice their right to be biased. So I disagree with you, it’s not only a singing competition.

Comment by lovinthavoice – November 7, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OTOH white contestants have won on these shows less than their percentage of the general population and the one racial group that has won more than their percentage of the population is the one you are crying foul over so I’m not entirely sold on your point. Granted these are small numbers and it’s not random selection so statistics are tricky here.
          If their is one group who might cry foul, especially on AI and XF, maybe not on The Voice, it’s Northerners and Californians hah, despite the huge populations in those regions they have virtually and never, respectively, won on these shows or even made the finals for the most part, no matter how good (this applies more to XF and AI though).

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So it’s not racist, but you turn right around and say these minority contestants where basically plotted against and given poor songs to sing so they could be eliminated? Sorry, but you are making direct allegations of racism against the show. I have to disagree that these were “amazing singers” that got eliminated. In fact, there are only one or two truely “amazing singers” even on the show this season. Shelbie Z could sing fairly well, did she get eliminated for being heavy set or just because she was white? Of course neither of those things are true, people just didn’t buy her iTunes music and she lost. iTunes decides who wins this show at this point more than anything.

Comment by Chuck Finley – November 7, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • But why didn’t they buy her iTunes music? Lol

Comment by Brandon Taylor – November 7, 2013 09:37 PM PDT
      • I noticed they purposely eliminated all of the blonde contestants. I don’t think Adam made sure there was a Jewish contestant either. They had a gay guy and got rid of him FOUL .. and which one is a lesbian ? I think Jonny should give us a dna sample so we can be sure of what slot to put him in — does he count as italian or is he hispanic.. I can’t tell. Do creoles count as black ? Ray must have some creole in him.. how much does he need? How many Miley Cyrus songs does a guy need to sing till he counts as a white blonde.. Wait ? is Miley actualy a blonde move that wrecking ball in that video hunny and lets figure that one out?

Comment by Tom22 – November 7, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quit doing those horrible group numbers!

Comment by Sly – November 7, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking of Idol tonight when they do that.

Comment by Gailer – November 7, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! They were awful!

Comment by sleepyseas – November 7, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, I know. Even the good singers sounded terrible. Jacquie had several flat out wrong notes, leaving one to wonder if her breakout performance on Tuesday was a fluke? But I think the real answer is that no one can sound good in them.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t it amazing how even the best singers sound awful in those things?!

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the group numbers ! These singing shows are variety shows.. the competition aspect is only a side line. They have the song and dance with the guest numbers and the hosts “coaches” gagging around like sonny and cher etc…
      Thats why these shows will last.. not for the competition but for the live entertainment and stuff.

Comment by Tom22 – November 7, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I screamed twice in disgust during the results show: once when the least talented singer in the history of reality singing competitions was saved (Kat) and then again when Christina saved Josh instead of Stephanie Anne. My throat will be hoarse for a week. I turned my tv off in abject horror and dismay after the Stephanie Anne debacle.

There are simply not enough words in the English language to describe how bad Kat is. I just can’t… words escape me. And poor Stephanie Anne. So talented yet so consistently screwed by her coaches. Had she been a pretty hot thang I think her outcome would have sadly been rather different, despite the name of the show.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, hey.
      You can get over it now,
      It’s not like she’s going to win.

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like Kat. But, seriously, you think she is worse than Camile Velasco??? LOL!!!!

Comment by ET – November 7, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A lack of talent as blaring as this one has left me prone to fits of hyperbole. lol

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good god, how about Erin Gray?!

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • From “Silver Spoons?”

Comment by nhf7170 – November 7, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow. That was a flashback. I remember that show! I think there was a girl on CeeLo’s team once called – Erin. I remember her torturing “Walk Like An Egyptian…” I probably got the name wrong though…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 8, 2013 06:08 AM PDT
          • or “Buck Rogers”

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
    • I agree and am sad that she went home, however the pyt Olivia went home too and she was adorable and also better than Josh, therefore I don’t think looks had anything to do with her decision. Stephanie or Olivia should have been saved, but not just saved, voted for by America.

Comment by S Blanton – November 7, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope Jacquie lives up to her hype because otherwise a very talented person was sent home for no good reason. Josh was a strange choice, but maybe we should give Christina the benefit of the doubt. She’s the only real singer of the 4 mentors, and maybe she’s hearing something I haven’t.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Listen to the studio version of “Crazy” by Josh and you will hear what she hears. A fantastic, seasoned voice!

Comment by Michelle M. – November 7, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Id say Adam Levine is a singer, and your opinion is biased, or you are just that ignorant. Just because the FLAVOR of singing isn’t to your liking , does not mean they are not a real singer. Secondly your comment up to this point only further justify my belief your view on who can sing and can not sing is purely based on your emotion.
          Get a clue on judging real talent, and not just your emotional feeling towards it.

Comment by Blind but not deaf – November 7, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m not biased at all. I’m a professional singer, and I coach professional singers. Not sure where your argument is coming from, but you’re way off base here, buddy.
            And I think you’re confusing the emotion I have for the people who can sing their faces off (i.e., Christina Aguilera) vs those who have the technique of a first-year student (Kat). Yes, I am emotional when it comes to these assessments, but only because I’ve objectively assessed their abilities, not because of any random favoritism based on anything other than vocal and musical aptitude.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 8, 2013 01:00 AM PDT
          • Sometimes I think you are too much in teacher mode and lose sight of the big picture.
            (although sometimes, oddly enough, maybe not enough in teacher more, since how can you think it’s good when Candice goes so overboard with re-writes and runs that you don’t even know what anthem she is singing by the end? and even with Stephanie, although I did like her from the start, and still like her, to not once point out that maybe she just did a trace too much of the going all over the place?)

Comment by HTGR – November 8, 2013 12:19 PM PDT
          • Angie_Overrated, what constitutes a “real singer” in your opinion and why is Christina the only one in the panel of mentors?

Comment by LB – November 8, 2013 05:20 AM PDT
        • It’s insulting to the other three coaches to say that Christina is the only real singer among them. She is most likely the best, sure, but if you can’t see the skill in Adam, Cee Lo, and yes, also Blake’s vocals, I don’t know what to tell you. They excel at what they do.

Comment by Jacob – November 8, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well that ‘least talented singer in the history of reality singing’ also just happened to be the only one to save their group number from becoming a total train wreck. Just saying. And don’t even try to bring up that ridiculata about how even William Huang has better vocals since even you have to know that is plain objectively wrong.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously, I still put her in that camp. I stand by that statement. She’s just hotter and can do roundhouse kicks, but vocally they’re on par with each other.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 8, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope your vocal students don’t pay you then. That’s simply absurd if you are claiming that you mean that 100% literally.

Comment by HTGR – November 8, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy Hyperbole, Batman! Kat’s got some issues, but she’s certainly not the worst to ever grace a reality stage. Mostly what Kat needs is to learn how to properly breathe. Her pitch is mostly good and dropping out of the phrase will diminish with better technique (“g-”). So will the slightly wide vibrato. But overall, I think she has the goods to make it as a rocker. Actually I would have liked Kat and Gray to switch songs this week. I think it would have worked out better. As for one of the worst, I give you Lazaro.

Comment by BrazenSongBird – November 8, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HA! I loved everything you just said!

Comment by MamaLis – November 8, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am completely shocked Preston didn’t get through. I know his song choices were not living up to Electric Feel in the blinds but that performance alone solidified him as one of my favorite artists to ever be on one of these shows. I am so disappointed. Love Will but honestly, he’s not nearly as good as his dad (Bill Champlin) and Preston’s studio recordings were fantastic. What a loss. He’s truly a unique talent.

Comment by Angelica Diamond – November 7, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe Preston’s gone. Stunned.

Comment by sleepyseas – November 7, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whose to say Will isn’t as talented as his Dad?? Who says they even need to be compared? Why is that necessary? Will is PLENTY talented on his own and I’m sure is grateful to be out of his Dad’s shadow for once. I’m personally rooting for Matthew but I’ve appreciated all of Will’s performances. Preston is good but in my opinion I never believed he was connecting with what he was singing. The only time he showed any connection was during his Blind. Will, on the other hand, has been singing from his SOUL. I feel it every time he opens his mouth. I’m sure Adam would’ve wanted Preston to be voted in so he didn’t have to be put in that position but at least he was objective enough to do the right thing in the end.

Comment by Jules – November 7, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so glad Will was saved over Preston who really hasn’t improved seen his audition. And Tamara was better than Kat. Sad to see Stephanie go but I hope she finds encouragement elsewhere.

Comment by Davey – November 7, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since every mentor’s SAVE charted higher on iTunes than the singers that were cut, there are no surprises here. But, unless they have a break-out moment next week, they’re probably toast anyway. (Personally rooting for Will and Ray to pull it off.)

Comment by Kenneth – November 7, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This guy gets it. This show is about making money and iTunes decides who stays and who guys. At this point voting is a waste of time. If you wanted people wanted Preston to stay so badly then why didn’t they buy his music?

Comment by Chuck Finley – November 7, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding! Isn’t that interesting!
      Plus, it’s like I said earlier about Preston, he was flatlining. And I say that as someone that was hoping for a Preston “win!” If he wasn’t incrementally getting worse, he most definitely was incrementally inching down from his Electric Eel Pole Position – and Adam clearly saw that.
      Also, as a seasoned guitar player, I kept wondering why he wasn’t willing to break it out – just to add to the whole experience. Between that and the questionable song choices, perhaps he had a more limited point of view, whereas Will, I believe, is really ready to grow.

Comment by MamaLis – November 8, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t @ Christina choosing Josh over Stephanie. She was supposed to go further. I guess the fourth time’s definitely not a charm for her. But boy, did she have nine lives prior to the live rounds? I’ll be missing you Steph :(. Btw, is it just me or does Caroline look a bit like Lena Dunham?

Comment by Adam – November 7, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Tamara & Stephanie should have been voted through….. not only do they have amazing pipes, they’re each VERY classy

Comment by Matthew vs Chen in the end? – November 7, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so disappointed that they didn’t pick Preston.
    I hope someone picks him up and produces a disc!

Comment by Leslie – November 7, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that I was wrong, and that Adam saved Will over Preston. I agreed with all of the coach choices, except for Xtina’s. I would have taken either girl over Josh. Particularly with Team Blake eliminating the only other country singer earlier in the show, Christina may have had the opportunity to corner that voting bloc by putting Olivia through.

Comment by Jim – November 7, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Jim. Now, that’s good strategy. I didn’t see Olivia on the charts – that probably had something to do with her ouster.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – November 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally believed Will was going after the first two names were called but to my surprise Adam saved my Will. This guy is the under dog in this competition and funny that he is the most talented both in song delivery or creatively. Anyone could see he was shocked to hear his name and that drive is what will bring out the best in him.

Comment by Misilin – November 7, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Xtina is going to catch a lot of heat for decision tonight. Expect lots of deserved criticism for not sticking with Stephanie Anne. Josh will be out next week because if it, no matter how well he does.

Comment by Rod – November 7, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who’s to say Stephanie won’t be the one eliminated next week if she takes Josh’s spot? All I know is Matthew and Jacquie are really solid and they have had more memorable performances than Steph. I’m just saying.

Comment by analythinker – November 7, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • good point. I liked Stephanie Anne but in all honesty I couldn’t see her outlasting Jacquie or Matt so I guess it doesn’t matter if she went home this week or next. I’m glad Christina stole her back and gave her a shot in the live rounds, I just wish she had picked a better song for her.

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word. Stephanie Anne will be sorely missed. Although I think I’m done with the show until Kat is out. Not sure even the mute button would allow me to watch this as long as she is still in this. I’m guessing that will be sooner rather than later (fingers crossed).

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t matter who Christina’s save was going to be. You may personally like Stephanie more than Josh or Olivia, but common sense should tell you that Matthew and Jacquie are Christina’s chosen ones and that they’re going to be on the show long after the Christina save goes bye bye.

Same with CeeLo’s team. It’s Caroline and no one else, and everyone else will be going home early.

Comment by The Guest – November 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who’s ticked that CeeLo chose Kat? I’m sorry but her singing voice makes me cringe.

Comment by Elena – November 7, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you’re not. Kat is monumentally untalented and possibly mentally ill on top of that. She sucks more than any Voice contestant has ever sucked before.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – November 7, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My whole family is with you on that. My son thinks Kat was a kick-boxer, not a singer. If an eleven-year-old gets it, lots of others should get it too. I think Kat will be sent home next week, with Josh.

Comment by Canadian Fan – November 7, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OK now that was way offside. It’s fine if you want to say over and over and over again that you don’t like her singing & performing style, but to suggest she’s mentally ill is crossing a line. Not cool. I don’t care for her either but I’m still offended by your comment.

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I am highly disappointed that Olivia didn’t make it, as well as Shelby Z, I don’t think they would have made it to the top anyway. Do they deserve to be there? More so than some that were saved but would they have made it past Jacquie, Tessanne and Will? No. They are the three to beat with Jacquie leading the pack!

Comment by S Blanton – November 7, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see how Olivia could have gone far…. Shelbie might’ve lasted a few more weeks.

Comment by ET – November 7, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agreed. Jacquie has improved more with each performance than any other artist on the show. I think I’d have to put Matthew and Caroline in with the favorites.
      That said, I’m rooting for Jacquie, and I never would have guessed I would be at this point.

Comment by Jeffrey Cook – November 7, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think this crop is nearly as good as the last season, the group numbers were not exciting on any level.But all of these singers are head and shoulders above the talent at x-factor.

Comment by karole shivak – November 7, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t think any of the group numbers tonight were good; but, they were MONUMENTALLY better than the ones on X-Factor last night. That show is already sucking big time this season!!!

Comment by ET – November 7, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, I called every single save right, by America or by the coaches!

Comment by analythinker – November 7, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All you need to do is look at iTunes to see. It’s not like it’s a secret or hard to figure out. All the lowest sellers got sent packing.

Comment by Chuck Finley – November 7, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole& Austin? Oh come on now.

Comment by danin – November 7, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a theory… I think America put them through because they look like they could be straight out of Duck Dynasty :-)

Comment by Ed – November 7, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Duck Dynasty is definitely a popular show. I was surprised they both got voted through but once that happened it was a no-brainer that Blake would pick Ray.

Comment by Emma – November 8, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beard is the fashion nowadays! Even Adam and Carson are growing beard…

Comment by Canadian Fan – November 7, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention the Boston Red Sox.

Comment by David – November 7, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have loved to hear more from Stephanie and I think Tamara delivered more of a consistently solid vocal than Kat & should have gotten the nod. This was a brutal bloodbath of a cut. Overall though, the people I like the best and want to see go deep, made it through so I’m happy & relieved at the results.

Comment by AlyB – November 7, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess I’m in the minority that actually enjoys Kat’s voice.
    I have a hard time buying that there are genuinely poor singers on a show that requires so many prelim auditions in order for one to be able to audition in front of the coaches in the first place.
    Maybe if walk-ins were a commonplace theme such as on Xfactor and AI.
    I can only recall ever pegging Erin Martin of season 2 as a flat out piss singer. Otherwise it’s just appeared that people have just been weaker singers or just poor performers.

Comment by Kaba – November 7, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t mind Kat when she’s in her range as a rock singer. I also think she partly got saved because she’s a better performer than she is a singer – and it can make a difference. Even when she misses notes, she can be entertaining to watch.
      I don’t think she’s going to last much longer though.

Comment by Jeffrey Cook – November 7, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think Christina should’ve saved Stephanie or Olivia, and Ceelo should’ve saved Amber or Tamara. Also I’m a little surprised that Shelbie didn’t make it. I have to say although I love Ray, I really think there’s no way Blake is going to win a fourth season in a row.

Comment by Josie – November 7, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cee Lo would have a much stronger team if he had Juhi. Understand the push for a rocker chick but Kat is just not all that. And someone needs to ‘splain them pants! What the heck is a zipper doing diagonally across her groin? Was it meant to distract from the voice or from the bad bangs (or fringe if you’re from across the pond)?

Comment by Mary Williams – November 7, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do the saves really mean much? You don’t know how they fared in the voting compared to other teams, but you do know at least two performers got more votes than them. Other than the Swon Brothers, have any saves gone on to make an impact on the show?

Comment by The Guest – November 7, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s very interesting is that for all 4 teams the Top 3 were also the Top 3 for each team on iTunes….

Comment by Spycigal – November 7, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, in other words, which makes sense, the coaches chose based on sales. After all THEY want to win. If their people’s songs aren’t being purchased, then why keep them?

Comment by Barbara Arnold Bost – November 7, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! To win this competition you need to sell well on iTunes! I do wish they’d change the voting rules on this… if you hit top 10 get a bonus to get you to the next round but don’t let it accumulate beyond top 5

Comment by Spycigal – November 8, 2013 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A knock against the Voice is that it has not produced any stars the way American Idol has. That is going to change this year. Unfortunately – Adam (and America) let the artist who is going to go on to fame and fortune leave the show tonight.

Comment by Steven – November 7, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really disappointed that Preston is gone. Adam always touted him as a great blues and soul singer and then chooses Bruno Mars…really? Wish Preston had picked CeeLo for his coach. I think he understands Preston’s voice and talent. I hope some savvy record producer picks him up. Need more music from Preston Pohl!! Msg for Preston-forget everything Adam taught you. No more The Voice for me!

Comment by Lanne Farrel – November 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preston and CeeLo probably would’ve worked better than Johnny and CeeLo.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Really, really bummed. And, ahem music producers, ready to pay for a lot more of that Preston Sound! It’s really unique.

Comment by We Z – November 7, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, I totally agree with you! Preston is the best singer, so unique! And then Adam picks a Bruno Mars song for him! I think it really hurt him with the voters. Preston should’ve picked CeeLo over Adam for sure. Will did a fantastic job on his song, but Adam chose a great song for him, he didn’t do that for Preston. Pisses me off so bad! I can’t believe Preston is out…

Comment by Michelle Deaton – November 8, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Preston, wish he would have stayed other then Tess. Agree with every other result though. I think James is my favorite ATM.

Comment by David – November 7, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Preston.. His voice is just golden can’t see why Will is so popular.. I see him knocking out a possible front runner from the show probably one from his own team maybe… Top 6 is looking though like there might not be anybody from Blake’s team there (They better step up their game)

Comment by Andrew – November 7, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post