Marvel-ous News: Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist Series Headed to Netflix

Marvel_Daredevil_JessicaJones_NetflixNetflix and Walt Disney Co. have announced a truly super collaboration, in which Marvel TV will bring to the streaming service four individual live-action series, all feeding into a miniseries event.

RELATED | ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Plans Thor 2 ‘Crossover’

Kicking things off sometime in 2015 will be a 13-episode series revolving around the character of Daredevil (previously portrayed on the big screen by Ben Affleck, who’s now on his way to becoming Batman). Continuing the multi-year rollout of projects, a Jessica Jones series will come after that, followed by new takes on Iron Fist and Luke Cage. (Click on the character names for their Marvel wikis.)

Once all four have made their Netflix debut, they will team up for a miniseries event that reimagines The Defenders, Marvel’s dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

RELATED | Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets Full-Season Order

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling,” Marvel Entertainment president Alan Fine said in a statement. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

Ready, set, dream-cast all four roles!

1. courts says:

Aw yeah! Jessica Jones and Luke Cage! YISSSS

2. Esaul says:

Cool idea in concept…but not sure how I feel about all this Marvel hype.

• B says:

Except for Spider-Man, Marvel is so boring to me. Avengers was the most boring, over-hyped movie I’ve ever watched.

• Tyler says:

What a hipster

• Zoe says:

This. “I can’t like this, it’s popular.”

• luke says:

He probably think Superman Returns and Brandon Routh were actually the best superman/films in a long time

• Alan says:

that was much better than man of steel though.

• Kevan says:

I didn’t like The Avengers either. NOT because it was popular, but because it was so thoroughly mediocre. Seriously, what made it different from any other generic summer action flick? There was nothing special about it and it kinda plodded along. I was honestly astounded that it made so much money. If you look at the top movies that made tons of money…Avatar was a ripoff of Dances with Wolves meets The Last Samurai, but at least it immersed the viewer in a cool world, so I could understand its popularity. Titanic was sappy and Leo was annoying, but it was epic on scale and the production design was amazing. So it has that going for it. But the Avengers? Um….it’s not even energetic. The final battle sucks. You basically have a bunch of people in costumes trading one liners and the direction is pedestrian. I honestly do NOT get why it made so much dough.

• scooby says:

Anybody who doesn’t appreciate Joss Whedon deserves to be bored. You brought it on yourself.

• Kevan says:

I love Firefly and have since 2002 but the guy is a better writer than a director
            Sorry.

• Spider-man good?? Sorry. Could not buy Tobey M as Peter Parker (Or spider-man). The casting should have been Topher Grace. You need a small smound of humor to Spider-man. Now the Avengers movie was EXACTLY what it sohuld have been . A (kinda) over the top, in your face blockbuster. Sure, the CGI sucked butt at times but the movie entertained.

3. Kre says:

The nerd inside me squealed. YESSS
    Wonder who they”ll cast for these characters.

4. Nicole says:

Would’ve loved a Scott Summers/Cyclops series since Wolverine is the focus of the cinematic universe. But Luke Cage and Iron Fist are pretty awesome so I’m definitely looking forward to this.

5. Deion says:

Excellent news. I had hoped they would focus on street level heroes in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I will take it.

6. OnceFan316 says:

To Bad I wanted to see a Punisher Series but they could always make a New Punisher Movie now that Marvel has the Rights. All though this news is still cool.

7. Joe R says:

Wow! This is pretty ambitious. Four new live-action series?? This is a coup for Netflix.

8. Robby Horine says:

Now is it Luke and Danny in separate series or together in Heroes for Hire? If the later, start casting for Misty Knight.

9. Sam says:

Will the shows be part of the MCU?
    (I guess they will)

10. Joey says:

Excited news! I can’t wait to see the shows!

11. Tom Hunter says:

Just a quick note: Not one of these characters were ever a huge part of the DEFENDERS comics. Not one. The Defenders mainly consisted on Dr. Strange, the Hulk, Namor, Valkyrie, Nighthawk and Silver Surfer. Why they slap the Defenders name on this group is beyond me.

That said, Power Man and Iron Fist?? I’m in!!

• RockGolf (@rock_golf) says:

That was the original 1970’s Defenders. The membership has changed radically over the years, at one point consisting of a significant number of the original X-Men. The series has been brought back several times, and each again had a different cast of characters, although I can’t remember specifically any of these four.
      I don’t understand why they don’t use the “Marvel Knights” designation, which DD, IF and LC have all been part of already.

• Alan says:

membership of the defenders is pretty much like membership of the avengers in the comics, most people have rotated in at one stage or another. i think the only one of the four who hasnt is jessica jones and thats really only because she is just over 10 years old and all her stories have been about how she isnt a superhero anymore.

• Andrew says:

Agreed. I would have preferred they called the mini-series “Marvel Knights”.

• erik says:

really cause last time i checked Iron Fist was a major part of the Matt Fraction penned Defenders series that came out a few years ago…

12. Why call them “The Defenders”, though? Heroes For Hire would be far more appropriate. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are obvious. Jessica Jones hires out her services as a PI, and DD hires out his services as a lawyer, then when the case calls for it he dons the red tights and helps his client, so in essence he charges for two services.

13. A.D. says:

So basically if you want to see these, you have to get Netflix…that stinks!

• Ray says:

As opposed to what you have to get to see… anything else? ‘To see something, you have to purchase something’ is pretty standard. And besides, 7.99 a month for what they offer (including this) is a steal.

• Stuart says:

It’s eight dollars a month. If you’re that big a fan you can afford it. That’s half a movie ticket in LA.

14. Mr. John says:

This is the first wave. There will be more. I’m betting that by the time we see Daredevil, they’ll have plans announced to put Punisher, Moon Knight, Blade, War Machine, Black Widow, Inhumans, Power Pack, etc… on screen in their own productions – and perhaps through a variety of distribution channels.

• Mikael says:

Moon Knight is one of my favorite characters. I really hope a tv show happens! And I hope the DD show is dark and gritty and not like Agents of SHIELD.

• Andrew says:

That’s why I was disappointed when Spike cancelled “Blade: The Series” so soon. In the pilot they name check Mark Spector meaning that at some point we could have had Moon Knight. Much prefer he be a part of the MCU.

15. Joe says:

Are these cartoons?

16. DD says:

I am so psyched for Daredevil! He is my favorite Marvel hero!

17. Anon says:

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage – HOTNESS ITSELF!

18. Drew says:

I would love to see Ben Affleck reprise the Daredevil role!!!

But mainly just to keep him away from Batman.

19. Riana says:

Isaiah Mustafa would be good for Luke Cage especially since he has expressed in the role in the past.

20. Dav says:

Wow. Really strong move by Netflix. They have been pretty successful with their original programming so far and this could do well for them.

21. Mark says:

I’ve only heard of Daredevil.

• Alan says:

there is a great daredevil series from about 10 years ago which crosses over with alias, the series that introduced jessica jones and also had luke cage and iron fist as supporting characters, i highly recommend either series for anyone who wants to read up on these guys before the shows come out.

22. Alan says:

just jessica jones would be enough to make me very excited but this is just beyond anything i ever expected from them, its a good time to be a comic book fan.

23. reggie says:

Tamoah Penikett as DD please

24. Casto says:

Michael Jai White for Luke Cage. Has perfect look and is great in both “Blood and Bone” and “Black Dynamite”

25. liz says:

Holy crap. Yes. I was really disappointed that the CW was doing a random DC character for tv next, but this more than makes up for it! (And I’ve always preferred Marvel so there’s that bias).
    a Jessica Jones AND Luke Cage series!?!? FRAK YEAH. And hopefully cause they’re on Netflix they’ll be stellar.

26. Quinn Mallory says:

Very very excited about this. I especially like how these characters could be developed that much more in 13 one hour episodes than just one movie.

27. Bill says:

I’d rather it be on network TV or even HBO but I’ll take anything, this is awesome news

28. Mark says:

Why not dead pool? Since there’s more freedom with Netflix it would make sense for them to do a dead pool series.

• kajar says:

Yeah… I second Deadpool. He can be wicked entertaining, but I figure he’ll show up on the big screen again eventually… but hopefully not as background character in a Wolverine flick. Switching gears, let’s see them use Psylocke in something. That ninja’s bada$$.

• Alan says:

marvel dont own deadpool.

29. kajar says:

This is awesome news. I really miss the mutants though… wish we could more series with some of those, like Cable or Gambit or Havok or even Cloak & Dagger, Domino, or the Morlocks. That would be cool. No… what we really need is an Alpha Flight series! *sigh* so many great characters to choose from. Not enough time or money.

30. Tommy Mondschein says:

Too bad Tyrese is busy with F&F. Would be a cool Luke Cage. The others should be unknowns.

31. LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

Let’s hope Daredevil is dark and gritty and not “vanilla” like Agents of SHIELD started out

32. James D says:

Heck Yeah all four are awesome. can’t wait for this!

33. Elizabeth says:

The initial photo on the wiki of Jessica Jones reminds me of Judy Greer

34. meatwad says:

dang, they finally gave me a reason to get Netflix, in 2015

35. dean says:

Will Luke Cage and jessica jones be a couple in this or..on their way to be a couple?

36. Shaun says:

That picture of Jessica strongly resembles the lady from Dollhouse and Last Resort.

37. Dee says:

Yvonne Strahovski for Jessica Jones (even though I think she would be perfect for Ms. Marvel). I just really want her to be part of the Marvel Universe

38. lovemunkey187 says:

If Terry Crewes isn’t cast as Luke Cage then somebody needs to be taken behind the wood-shed.

39. david says:

looks like I am getting closer to becoming a member of Netflix!