The CW Developing iZombie Drama Series From Veronica Mars Creator Rob Thomas

izombieThe dead are walking on over to The CW.

The network is developing a drama series based on DC Comics’ iZombie property, and Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas is on board to produce, Deadline reports.

RELATED | Arrow‘s Caity Lotz Talks Bo Staff Bruises, Her Ra’s al Ghul Refresher and Canary’s Mind Games

Billed as a supernatural crime procedural, the project centers on a med student-turned-zombie who takes a job at the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity. But with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories, and with the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.

Thomas will pen the script with his frequent collaborator Diane Rugierro.

1. mayiread says:

Sounds a little like Tru Calling, Zombified.

2. Alia says:

Sounds like it might have a bit of a Warm Bodies vibe to it.

3. Zach says:

Ugh, Rob why do you keep working with The CW?

4. Wut…. what happened to Rob’s Les Miserables project? Or he’s juggling many things now? Well, interesting project. Let’s see whether it’d fall through.

5. alistaircrane says:

Okaaaay…I’d much rather Rob started working on Season 4 of a new Veronica Mars series for cable or Netflix.

6. Nate says:

Either way it’s Rob Thomas and a teenage girl solving crimes. I’m in!!!!!

7. meatwad says:

no, just no

8. wrstlgirl says:

For me I’m getting burnt out on all the comic book turned TV show stuff. And this one sounds kinda stupid.

9. uh….um…….yeah no thanks

10. meatwad says:

this will probably be the hottest zombie in history and show almost no signs of actually being a zombie

11. kavyn says:

Why do they always turn high concept shows into cop shows? This is exactly what ruined Awake on NBC a few years ago.

• Alan says:

its so the general public will accept it because anything more complicated than a crime of the week has been deemed to hard for people to get according to tv executives.

12. Alan says:

so the cw has decided that they are going to adapt every comic book they can get their hands on then, cool. izombie was a decent concept, should be able to transfer it to screen pretty easily and rob thomas is great so this should be at least decent.

13. This before Amazon/Wonder Woman? Well, at least it’s a female lead.

14. rod says:

Alona Tal better be calling her agent right now.

15. murley says:

Yes please. I hope the Les Mis project is still on the table as well. Sign me up for both.

16. JC says:

Hahaha I’m sorry, but this just sounds like one of those parody concept pitches. :) I don’t think I’d ever be able to take it seriously. “I solve crimes! And eat brains!”

17. Jo says:

This sounds like some awful CBS show. However, with Rob Thomas on board I will give it a shot. Veronica Mars was probably initially described as a modern Nancy Drew procedural, and we all know it turned out to be so, so, much more.

18. Firelight19 says:

What is that the 7th pilot the CW has in development right now?

IZombie
    Hourman
    1930s Hollywood show produced by Ellen Degeneres
    Western/Mars show from Bruno Heller
    Flash
    SPN Spinoff
    Futuristic Oz show

19. E says:

Leave it to the CW to turn zombies into hot teenagers. I know they’re going from source material, but I never thought I’d see a day where that became mainstream.

20. Lisa S. says:

This almost sounds like Diana Rowland “My Life as a White Trash zombie” series of books. Excellent series of books by the way. Same premise with big differences in the details.

• KS says:

I thought the same thing! Zombie works in a coroner’s office to get brains. I hope Rowland has a good lawyer since they’re ripping off her concept.

• ThatGuy says:

Whatever changes the CW might make to the source material, the characters in iZombie premiered in 2009 with the official series beginning in 2010 … the first book in Rowland’s series wasn’t published until 2011.

21. liz says:

sounds a bit dumb, but Rob Thomas is fantastic so I’ll give it a shot based on his involvement.

22. not a fan of Zombies says:

It would appear the Zombie craze cannot be stopped. Oh well, I quite enjoyed the vampire craze, I guess it’s time for zombie fans to have their day.

23. Karen says:

Yep, Rob Thomas, I am there for you. Actually sounds kind of fun. Hmmm, is Kristen Bell busy?

24. Sounds like they are going to ruin the book completely. Unfortunate.

25. boone says:

Rob Thomas. Enough Said.

26. a few seasons back they said the CW was going to have a Zombie show centered on two sisters surviving together, but that never happened, I will be surprised if this does! But seeing what they did with Beauty And The Beast, making the guy just some hunky guy who isn’t really a beast, I doubt I will be interested, even though I love anything zombie most of the time, this sound rather silly! It probably wont last anyway, even if it does get to air, but who knows! At least its a show with a female lead as a hero of sorts, but how can they call this a drama really, it sounds too funny to be a drama!