Once Upon a Time First Look: Storybrooke Drama for Belle and Ariel, Neal/Emma/Hook and More

Get More: Photo Gallery

This Sunday, ABC’s Once Upon a Time travels back to Storybrooke, where things aren’t quiet as one might think.

As previously reported, the show will rewind a bit to when Rumple, Emma et al first set sail for Neverland, leaving Belle in charge of protecting the sleepy Maine burg. Ariel will eventually surface in Storybrooke, sent by Rumple and Regina to help Belle locate an artifact the Dark One can use to trump Pan.

But it appears that just as Beauty makes friends with The Little Mermaid, two men — ID’d in captions simply as “keychain” and “glasses,” and played by James Immekus and Matt Kane — stir up trouble, lashing the lasses together. A possible clue to their identities: Freya Tingley, who last season guest-starred as Wendy Darling, also appears in the episode.

Meanwhile in Neverland: Emma, Neal and Hook try to ignore the tremendous amounts of awkward as they journey to Dark Hollow to find and hopefully capture Peter Pan’s shadow.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Tinker Bell’s Big Face-Off!

I’ve captioned some, though not all, of these preview pics.

Comments (57)

• These captions are hilarious. . . you should do this for all your slide shows.

Comment by IM_Hooked – November 6, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to make the same comment. They had me laughing as I looked through the pictures.

Comment by jerrired – November 6, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second the motion. :)

Comment by JC – November 6, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • definitely, i don’t even know what my favorite is, they’re all awesome

Comment by ceylan – November 6, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please? Can we start a petition for original captions? It would make my life so much more entertaining. :D

Comment by Ginger – November 6, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! Too funny!

Comment by GeoDiva – November 6, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Squirrel baby! Yes. Let that be a lesson not to leave any of Emilie de Raven’s characters on their own for too long.

Comment by Alice – November 6, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! You are great, Matt! Thanks for the laugh!

Comment by SK – November 6, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too, i was laughing so much.

Comment by Clarimar Colon – November 6, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree as well!

Comment by Babybop – November 6, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol just adding another voice of agreement. The captions are hilarious

Comment by liz – November 7, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO @ “Gasp! Hipsters”
    Could those men be flotsam and jetsam?

Comment by abz – November 6, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is a GREAT idea!!!!!

Comment by English – November 6, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael and John Darling.

Comment by Stormy – November 6, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol yeah I figured after reading a bunch of the comments. I don’t why, but they were the first to pop into my head once I saw Ariel and then read that two men stir up trouble.

Comment by abz – November 6, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that they’ll be John and Michael, Wendy’s brothers… Like they became Lost Boys and are now working for Pan. Wendy will appear since she is trapped in Neverland, in the other hanging cage that Baelfire was not in.

Comment by Mellie – November 6, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like this theory, but wouldn’t they have shown Bae reuniting with Wendy (assuming he could see her through his cage)?

Comment by gdv – November 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was passed out. Lost boys drugged him.

Comment by A.B. – November 7, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HA..the (all) spark…you slay me Matt!

Comment by Sonya Smith – November 6, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see that Belle is only there to be a plot device and a victim. Wouldn’t want to branch out with her character or anything.
    All the other promos look too much like every other episode to get worked up about, but I assume now that they have super magical Neal who totally escaped Neverland and wasn’t all let off so that he could impregnate teenage Emma and create Henry, Tink will help them. How come nobody has called shenanigans on Neal’s ‘escape’?

Comment by courts – November 6, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eight minutes? You’re dragging, “courts”….

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 6, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, Matt. I’m at work. Just confused about how they’ve actually had Hook say nobody but Neal has ever escaped Neverland with Pan’s say so without anyone making the connection that perhaps Pan’s centuries long obsession with Henry might somehow connected. Unless they’re saving it as a ~twist or something.

Comment by courts – November 6, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They did address that issue already. Bae confronted Pan & Pan told him he can’t leave Neverland w/o his permission to which Bae replied he did before and Pan basically challenged that theory & said something like did u really leave. no one leaves i dont want to, and yet your here, it’s as if u never left. So Neal not necessarily escaping Nwverland on his own has been addressed.

Comment by tracy84 – November 6, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figured they’re the Lost Boy versions of John and Michael Darling.

Comment by Dani – November 6, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aren’t those dudes with the guns just DARLING? winkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink

Maybe?

Comment by TessaMae – November 6, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael & John Darling are perfectly cast. Can’t wait to see their shenanigans. And I love everything about the Emma/Neal caps. LOL!

Comment by Melanie – November 6, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The guy with glasses is the one is the brit in Switched at birth?

Comment by Lorena – November 6, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is SWITCHED’s “Jace,” yes.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 6, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • frak I hated Jace. Haven’t hated a character in a long while the way I hated Jace (maybe since Kennedy on Buffy lol)

Comment by liz – November 7, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your captions are great. I love that ONCE just exists so I can laugh at everything related to it at this point.

Comment by Christina – November 6, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks more like a Lament Configuration. Hellraiser comes to Storybrooke.

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 6, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank you so so much! I had an awful day and that made everything SO MUCH better! :D :D

Comment by Viv – November 6, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent captions! Thanks for posting photos!

Comment by Kristina – November 6, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting no one noticed the LOST reference yet.

Comment by Arie – November 6, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What reference are you referring at? I’m a diehard LOST fan and didn’t notice anything

Comment by Stefan – November 6, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The caption on 12 with Belle saying that she was about to go adopt a dead squirrel as her baby. Clare did that in the later seasons after she couldn’t find Aaron.

Comment by Mary – November 6, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but it’s not the first time they’ve used/had McCutcheon whiskey on the show. You made me look again, though, cuz I missed it on the first look through the pictures – nice catch!

Comment by Abby – November 6, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every time someone drinks whiskey on OUAT, it’s Widmore’s whiskey. Just like every time someone eats chocolate, it’s an Apollo bar. It’s not the first and probably not the last time we see one of these items. It’s a nice wink to Lost fans and I like it, but it’s not surprising anymore, we’re used to it. I’d be surprised if they suddenly started showing different brands :)

Comment by bluefairy – November 6, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like Belle has been spending her Rumple-less time with Widmore’s whiskey.
    As always, love your captions, Matt.

Comment by Lysh – November 6, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Gasp, Hipsters!”

Gold, pure gold.

Comment by aplwrites – November 6, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, your captions are back….love them. I didn’t think I missed Storybrooke until the the promo, and Hook/Emma/Neal on a dangerous adventure together, that should get awkward.

Comment by Amy – November 6, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt – you are awesome! Thanks for the laughs!

Comment by majamababe – November 6, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Like, really — I was about to take a dead squirrel and pretend it was my child.” HAHA priceless. well done sir well done. i definitely vote for making this a regular thing.

Comment by James D – November 6, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great comments, Matt! I sincerely hope you do more in the future.
    I am so excited for Sunday’s episode! I’ve missed seeing Belle and I can’t wait to see what she’s up to!

Comment by Rachel – November 6, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was extremely funny^^ I don’t think the episode will be that good :D

Comment by Parker – November 6, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the captions, especially the squirrel baby one and “gasp! Hipsters!”. I think the caption for Ariel examining the corkscrew needs to be “look at this stuff. Isn’t it neat?”

Comment by murley – November 6, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hook’s caption with wanting another kiss and Emma saying seriously was great! Hilarious!

Comment by OUAT Fan (@OUATES) – November 6, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And us…?”
    [Silence]

LMAO! Pleas do this more.

Comment by Hodan – November 6, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at “Megatron.” Please keep doing funny captions.

Comment by tvdiva – November 6, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, is Ariel there to get the chronometer from Gold’s shop and bring it back so they can leave Neverland? Or is that a dumb question?

Comment by Stormy – November 6, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol! such awesome captions!

Comment by rk535 – November 6, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone else. I could care less about the show recently, but those captions were awesome. More please!

Comment by Tamara – November 6, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aww

Comment by vera – November 7, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately for the OUAT, Matt’s captions are better than the actual show – so really now, Pan somehow found out about the Regina & Gold’s plan, and sent his henchmen to thwart it? ……..I can’t believe Gold, Regina, and Emma haven’t just teamed up and out magicked Pan – wouldn’t that have been the first thing to try?

Comment by Jake – November 7, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also vote for more funny captions!!

Comment by Jess – November 7, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well…if Hook is really that lonely and Emma’s back with Neal, I’d be more then happy to help him out!

Comment by Jennifer – November 7, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Captions, pure delight. Better writers than OUAT writers. They really believe we are stupid?
    Dragging this season, we need more Dark One Time and less Charmings. Do we really care about Swan Theif or Captain Swan? Save Henry and go home. Leave the Charmings there. MM can be the lost boys mother. Have a great weekend one and all

Comment by greenjellofrog – November 8, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post