New Girl Scoop: Coach Is Staying Put!

New Girl Season 3New Girl has given Coach an extension.

Damon Wayans Jr., whose four-episode comeback arc kicked off Tuesday, has closed a deal to stick around for the remainder of the Fox’s comedy’s third season, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | New Girl Shocker: Coach Hooking Up With [Spoiler]?

Technically speaking, Wayans will continue to receive the Heather Locklear treatment and be billed as a “special guest star.”

As previously reported, the Happy Endings alum is currently developing a new comedy project with Fox to be directed by Modern Family co-executive producer Jason Winer and written by Reed Agnew and Eli Jorne, the showrunners from FX’s canine comedy Wilfred. Titled Man/Child, the potential series is about a pair of single dads who become roommates and struggle to find the balance between being responsible parents and debaucherous bachelors.

1. Gwen says:

Yay!!!!!!!!gwenny

2. Carm says:

Great!!!!

3. Sims says:

YES. Such happy news, was so glad to him on the show this week.

4. dee says:

Awesome!! I knew this would happen!!

5. Lecholls says:

Wow! The whole season. Sounds like apartment 4C is gonna get a lot of use from here on out.

6. Demarcus Seaborn says:

Yay!!! Great last episode.

7. julio says:

Did anyone else think he was a little annoying?

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

A little bit but he’s only been in two episodes, they have to figure out which direction to take his character.

• Bill Nye the Science Guy says:

I thought he was very different in the pilot episode compared to this one. I thought the pilot version was funnier.

• Dan says:

I thought the same thing, but I absolutely love him, and am confident (hopeful) they will use him well.

• Audrey says:

Yep – he was totally different in the pilot, but I love him, so I’ll give the show a chance to define this “new” character.

• atlanta says:

He was totally annoying, and unnecessary. Now the show has too many characters. I wish they would focus more on Jess and Cece.

• Ella says:

I can’t stand him as a character. Wayans is too old school sitcom (think “My Wife and Kids”) and I feel like they’ve sidelined Winston’s character to fit him in. When did Winston become such a loser? They’ve stuck him with a cat and a middle-aged bus-driver as though he’s socially inept and emotionally stunted. I preferred this show when it was just Jess and the three single guys (and CeCe). NO COACH. And definitely no coach-and-CeCe.

• simon says:

I completely agree, i’ve never liked him and My wife and kids was not funny at all. The show was doing really well without him and i don’t se why they had to bring him back. They don’t need him and having him back is taking the shine away from winston. The fact that hes hooking up with Cece has really annoyed me! What are the writers thinking! Cece needs to be with schmidt and i do hope they end up together. I do hope he doesnt stay for the next season if there is one because if he does i wont be watching anymore!

• chelsea says:

Absolutely agree! The pilot coach was not so bad but I was not at all disappointed when he was replaced with Winston. Now that he is back his character is annoying and they are working too hard to make him the center of each episode. Coach and CeCe is the worst idea! And what’s going on with Schmidt? This news was incredibly disappointing to everyone I know that watches and loves the show

• Cat says:

That was his Dad on My Wife and Kids……he is Damon Wayons Jr.

• Rain says:

Not a little, a tremendous amount of annoying. As in, this news just put New Girl on the bubble for me. I’ll give it a few episodes but after Tuesday’s ep I’m not sure I’ll stick around for the season.

• Cratloe says:

yes yes yes

8. Esaul says:

Absolutely love this!

9. Ram510 says:

YES!!! Now I can actually watch the show again. Coach was the best part of the pilot

10. woodyinho says:

Coach was annoying. And it kinda felt like he had a completely different personality compared to the pilot.

• Bill Nye the Science Guy says:

I totally agree. He was a completely different character.

• Maria says:

ummm, he was exactly like the person we got to know in the pilot.

• neha says:

Um, in the pilot, he didn’t even know how to talk to girls. And, in this episode, Nick and Schmidt talk about how he’s always the one dumping girls and going to strip clubs and just being a general party animal. I don’t have an issue with this. Jess has changed A LOT since the pilot (thank god), but so has Coach.

• sue says:

Characters rarely stay as they are from the pilot. Jess, Nick and Schmidt are way different from how they were in the pilot too. Coach had no time to develop into an actual character so they could have taken him in any direction they wanted to. His only memorable trait was that he didn’t know how to talk to women nicely, and this weeks episode was pretty in line with that. lol

11. Simon Jester says:

Meh. I liked him well enough in this episode, but when it ended, I didn’t feel the need to see more of him.

12. Ram510 says:

So this means that he’ll be in every episode from here on out or just these next 4 and miss a couple but then comes back?
    PS they should just go ahead and get rid of Winston now that Coach is back

• hmm says:

are you kidding!? winston has been killing it this season! last night was so funny with him trying to mediate nick and shmidt’s fight and trying to spend the bunny money! it was amazing.

i’m all for new girl having six regulars! i think it helps the show from getting stale and six is a tried and true comedy cast size!

• Dan says:

Winston is finally coming into his own. I love his obsession with the cat, and the bunny money … “I’ll take 50 cents on the dollar.” So funny. If anything, Coach is the one who needs to go, from that episode. But Damon Wayans is hilarious, I’m sure they will make him work.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I strongly disagree but I’m biased as Winston is my favorite. Also, are you implying that a show can’t have two black characters?

• Oh gosh, that’s what I thought too. Hopefully, that wasn’t what they were implying. I think the dynamic between Winston and Coach will be really fun, and I can’t wait to see Coach shake up the status quo between the characters.

• Audrey says:

Winston is now my favorite character on the show by far. I’d love to see him and Coach have srorylines together – as Damon Wayans Jr is also brilliant.

• DJlondon says:

So New Girl can’t have two black characters?? You’re crazy.

13. Eric says:

I missed Coach a lot (he was one of my favorite parts of the pilot), and I absolutely loved DWJ on Happy Endings. But I agree with the people who found New Coach to be quite different than the first time we saw him. I’m not sure how I feel about his character anymore. Time will tell.

14. Williwasnt says:

Why not just do a spinoff where he and Winston get their own place together. Kind of like the odd couple except that they’re both really odd. I’d watch an entire episode of Coach just dealing with Winston’s colorblindness.

15. Ever says:

I’m so happy that the Happy Endings crew is getting work! He was so funny last night, maybe this season will finally improve because it’s been pretty bad so far. Jess and Nick are better when they weren’t an actual couple

16. Yay! What great news! I really liked Coach. I can’t wait to see the dynamic between the 5 characters (six with Cece!).

17. sue says:

Bring it on! I actually REALLY liked the little glimpses we got of the competitive vibe between Coach and Winston. I hope they develop that further because I can already tell Lamorne and Damon have good chemistry

18. Emily says:

Yayy i love coach! Though i dont know what storyline they are going to do for him. I mean even with winston they didnt use much of him and gave him pretth crappy storylines. Now theres another character.Hope they wont turn his character into someone unlikeable. This is good newsss :DD

19. Sara says:

Great news!

20. do it says:

I hope he ends up staying for good!

21. Colleen says:

Great news! I really like Damon Wayans Jr. I’m so glad to have him back on New Girl. Hoping with him around Winston will become a more developed character. Winston and Coach appear to have a very interesting dynamic between them.

22. Ella says:

AMAZING news! New Girl has steadily gone downhill for me since mid season 2 but Coach has brought a certain spark back.

23. schu says:

Awesome news! I fell off New Girl last season, but returned since Happy Endings was over (still bitter) and new DWJ would be rejoining the cast!

24. charlotte says:

Is BONES com back next jear with season 10, I hope it so mach. I love this story!

25. CBWBDK1 says:

This show needs him!!

26. Scott says:

Best. News. Ever. DWJ series regular for season 4. Please.

27. Belle says:

BEST NEWS!!!! Thank you Fox, happy endings indeed :)

28. Janneke says:

I liked him better in the pilot. In this episode he was just continuing his “Happy Endings” character, hope they will change his characteristics during the remainder of this season.

29. Dustin says:

Meh. I didn’t like him in the Pilot and didn’t like him last night.

Honestly, the pilot of this show was horrid. I didn’t watch again, then halfway through season 1, I gave it a second shot, and it’s been a favorite ever since [they ditched the super-awkwardness].

With him back, meh. I did like last night’s episode, but I don’t feel like he added anything to it other than a reason to be out.

30. Adam P. says:

I hope his character has changed since the first season. It might be also a good thing for him to come back since the show has been really low on the ratings last few weeks.

31. Jake says:

He has only been in the pilot and returned this past Tuesday right?

32. MLO says:

Is it just me or is anyone else finding this show increasingly unwatchable? I DVR’d it and then found I fast-forwarded through almost all of it. Except Taye Diggs’ parts… ahem.

• Elyse says:

used to love the show but Nick and Jess as a couple make it really hard to watch. they annoy the sh*t out of me. i’m sticking with it but i’ll probably have to give it the boot here soon if it doesn’t get better.

• Apples says:

I’ve quit watching this season after they butchered my favourite character Schmidt.

33. Sarah says:

I have a feeling the ratings will go up a lot now that he’s back for the rest of the season.

34. kd83954 says:

YES!!!!!!! oh man, i love it! he’s a fresh new character that’ll add some spark to the current characters! i can’t wait!

35. joey says:

so happy he’ll be stay on the show for the rest of season 3!

36. Cratloe says:

Goodbye New Girl! Been going downhill since the season started and now with Wayans the downward speed is picking up.

37. rachelle says:

Yaaaaaaay! #RIPHappyEndings

38. Warren says:

Great news but…please bring back the old Coach.New one is very annoying.

39. slundy99 says:

Glad to have him back, he was a bit annoying but it was his first epi. Now if he starts dating CeCe, then I”m done with him. Schmidt might have messed up but I was always hoping for a comback for him and CeCe. If they were thinking, “let’s break up Schmidt and CeCe so Schmidt goes back to using the douche jar” they weren’t very smart. His character, along with her was developing and growing nicely. #NoCeCeAndCoach

40. Cody D. says:

I do not know if it’s coach’s personality, or maybe it’s d w jr’s personality, but I don’t feel like it fits the rest of the cast at all. They all play their roles very well and fit each other perfectly in a way that makes GREAT comedy without hardly ever cracking jokes. To me, Coach has a very “try hard” sense of humor and doesn’t flow well with the rest of the show. Nothing against him, but I guess it’s just that same stuff we’ve seen from the wayan’s bro’s for years. The New Girl is just a different kind of comedy. It’s just kinda bummed me out to be honest.

41. ddwagner24@gmail.com says:

Get him off the show. Terrible with him back on. Get rid of him.

42. James says:

Yeah, not a fan of coach. Boring, annoying… and it’s a sign the show must be struggling if they have to add high-profile actors to the mix to spice things up. Lame.