American Horror Story Renewed for Season 4

Get More: Renewals

American Horror StoryThe season of the witch won’t be the last for Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story.

FX announced Wednesday that the spooky smash (which has cast a spell on viewers this season) will return for a fourth season.

PHOTOS | American Horror Story Season 4 (and Beyond): 7 Possible, Mostly Plausible Premises

The current season, Coven, will conclude on January 29. The new season is slated to begin in late 2014.

AHS grande dame Jessica Lange has told Buzzfeed that the newly announced upcoming season will be her final one, but other cast information is not yet known. Based on past seasons, this fourth Story probably will include a mix of familiar faces and new blood.

Likewise, there are no details yet on the new plot of the series — which changes its story and setting every year — but executive producer Murphy has said that he may drop a hint in the final episode of this season. Hit the comments with your ideas for AHS 4.0. How would you like your scares served up next year? And which AHS favorites do you want to see return?

Comments (93)

• It definitely won’t be the same without Lange if it continues past 4, but I’m still in!

Comment by J – November 6, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree about losing Lange and of course will continue to watch regardless. I am going to say this though – I hope Ryan goes really ‘dark’ again. I’m not into some of the scenarios this year – i.e.’ the young ones and zombies – not enough scary for me. There are so many zombies and shows for younger audience that I’m kind of resenting he’s catered to that. I am just not anticipating each, weekly episode like in past seasons – loving it but not as much. It’s subjective of course, but am interested to know if others agree??

Comment by Writer11 – November 6, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like we may be miniority but I agree with you. Coven is good but not great like Murder House or Asylum. I am just not scared.

Comment by BL – November 6, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree, Coven is still amazing and I love it… But Murder House and Asylum were so much darker and unnerving. This one has lost some of that pzazz and I would love to see it go back to the original creepiness.

Comment by NattC – November 7, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Coven is my fave season out of the 3 so far. Maybe cause i am a sucka for a strong female driven cast and witch stories. The acting this season has been on a whole other level of awesomeness. The new episode can’t come soon enough, seeing lange, bassett and bates every week on my screen is just a gift from the tv gods!

Comment by Frankieboy – November 7, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m with you on a strong, female cast BUT since my last comment, I’ve watched another episode and am totally disappointed. So bored with resurrections (Zombies) of the dead and where is Ryan taking Jessica’s character? I feel like it’s all over the map and absolutely nothing is very scary. Go back to dark please. I’m fast forwarding through a lot of the recording now and that’s a bad sign. I’m a horror aficionado and this is not like the first two seasons…. is it about money and buying a young audience to keep it on the air? I’ll keep watching because I’m still hopeful. C’mon, somebody scare me please!! Do I have to write a new show myself? Hmmmm….

Comment by writer11 – November 14, 2013 09:58 PM PDT
  • Besides Jessica Lange, I would love to see Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Dylan McDermott back! I wasn’t expecting to like Emma Roberts’ performance on Coven so I would like to see her again, depending the role she plays.

Comment by Martina – November 6, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, me too! I thought Emma Roberts’ character would suck, but I was surprised, she was kind of funny, I expect her come back (maybe Misty Day can resurrect her)

Comment by pam – November 6, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • & bring back connie britton from season 1 ! she was phenominal !

Comment by mary – January 21, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!!

I’m obsessed with the idea of the haunted carnival/fair! I just think that would be awesome!

Comment by Dexter591 – November 6, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I

Comment by Thea – November 6, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooooh that sounds like lots of potential horror ahead – good one!

Comment by Linda – November 6, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Peters, never leave us

Comment by Makenzie – November 6, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omfg yes he HAS to stay. I love him sooooo much! He just absolutely HAS to be in this 4th season!!!! Preferably in a relationship with Tassia again! I love when evan and Tassia are together in the show!!!!

Comment by Violet smithman – February 15, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Opera/ Playhouse or Carnival!

Comment by Lo – November 6, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they PLEASE get Connie Britton back for this.

Comment by Rose – November 6, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not as long as Nashville is still on TV.

Comment by Wouter – November 6, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think we have to worry about that much longer.

Comment by Jo – November 6, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nashville is fine. It is not going anywhere…

Comment by RUCookie – November 6, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I wouldn’t say Nashville is fine. It’s about 50/50 for renewal based on this season’s ratings.

Comment by JC – November 6, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
          • The ratings for Nashville are terrible, my dear.

Comment by Caitlin P – November 6, 2013 11:40 AM PDT
    • Don’t know if it’s true, but I heard something that Murphy’s trying to get Britton for a cameo later this season, her schedule permitting.

Comment by DL – November 6, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Jessica Lange reconsiders her decision. Her performance is awesome and I would like to see her in season 5, 6, 7…. she can’t leave the show!!

Comment by pam – November 6, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I will always, always say yes to more Lange, I’m hoping Kathy Bates and maybe Angela Bassett as well will step up to fill her shoes.

Comment by DL – November 6, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, I would a travelling circus/carnival fair type of theme. Psycho clowns, cannibal lion taners and creepy characters of that sort.

Comment by Martina – November 6, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with this one!!!Traveling circus/carnival fair with psycho clowns that would be awesome…

Comment by Rosemarie – November 6, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like season 4 of Heroes, they’ll just need to bring back Zachary Quinto.

Comment by steven – November 6, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes we definitely need Zachary Quinto

Comment by Ryiot – January 23, 2014 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohh that’s a great idea! it could be very interesting :D

Comment by Jelena (@spobies) – November 6, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, clowns are really creepy for most people – great premise

Comment by Linda – November 6, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Zachary Quinto!

Comment by Bernadette – November 6, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree bring back Quinto!!! :)

Comment by Jane – January 1, 2014 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The idea of the series is to reinvent genre cliches and make them scary again (haunted house, spooky mental hospital, witches). I’d like season 4 to give a terrifying makeover to the slasher flick genre. I know we had Bloody Face in “Asylum,” but make an entire season out of an unstoppable killer like Jason or Michael Myers, complete with teens at camp, babysitting and such, but with the signature AHS treatment. Ryan Murphy could totally make it work.

Comment by Joe R – November 6, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see more of Alexandra Breckenridge. She got killed off on the last episode, I hope she returns for more episodes and seasons

Comment by pam – November 6, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring back evan peters and lilly rabe defo. also try and bring back zachary quinto, very impressed with gabouray and kathy bates this years but i doubt they will return. please for the love of god no more emma roberts and sarah paulson.

Comment by sarah – November 6, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t love Paulson’s character this year, but she was AMAZING in Asylum (at least, imo). Would actually like to see her come back and take a villainous turn.

Comment by DL – November 6, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yaaaaaaaaaaaay

Comment by sara – November 6, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a lot people forgot that HBO already did a supernatural series set in a carnival. I wish they could have beaten Showtime’s upcoming series Penny Dredful to punch of doing the classic monsters. Maybe the next season can revolve around reincarnation or the goverment’s former experimentation into psychic research?

Comment by Tori – November 6, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re going to make me cry. Carnivale (as well as Deadwood and Rome) was canceled far too soon.

Comment by Joey – November 6, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree!! Carnivale was cancelled too soon. That was a great show with a lot of promise. AHS could definitely make a storyline like that work!

Comment by Jenn Vince – January 5, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Those series were the best of cable TV. It seems quality writing costs too much while lackluster goes on ad infinidum

Comment by Nancy – January 30, 2014 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Taissa Farmiga in season 4 please!

Comment by Michael – November 6, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to whatever they do. This season has been the best and I loved the other seasons too.

Comment by Bobby Milford – November 6, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked your Circus Idea. They could cast Gaga and Britney and rock it ;)

Comment by Maki – November 6, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about New Mexico? You have Roswell, Navajo skinwalkers, brujas, curanderos and a banshee.

Comment by Arlina – November 6, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so far this is my least favorite season. But I will keep watching

Comment by Pati – November 6, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to agree – and what about UFO abductions for a future season – no one has done that really well and it could be terrifying.

Comment by Linda – November 6, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about “Asylum”? That had a UFO abduction plot in it.

Comment by TD – November 7, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story: Glee

Comment by Matt W – November 6, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That airs on Fox on Thursday nights. :)

(And I’m a fan! With a sense of humor, unlike most! LOL)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – November 6, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hee hee

Comment by Linda – November 6, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely second this! Would love to see Murphy and Co. take on carnies!

(You know what else I’d love Team TVLine? An edit button.)

Comment by Thea – November 6, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too would like a travelling circus setting, maybe during the Dust Bowl era. Or something about Roanoke’s lost colony or Anasazi tribe disappearance.. Most of all I’d love anything Lovecraft related *-*

Comment by Gaara – November 6, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ia ia Cthulhu! Ancient evil from beyond the stars… I’m so there. Something based off Innsmouth would also be awesome. Creepy town of evil.

Comment by DL – November 6, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Lange will decide to stay I think it’s still to soon, I think a season 5 or 6 should be her last and if they like they could go past these season without her. I just hope next season is really scary like asylum. I love season 3 but I think it lack horror. Storyline wise it’s amazing but just not living up to its name.

Comment by Fernando – November 6, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve ranted about this before, scares =/= horror. There is tons of horror in Coven, just not scares. I do agree it needs to be more scary, but I don’t think people should equate the two.

Comment by DL – November 6, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taissa Farmiga need to stay on as a regular in season 4 and future seasons thats all i want :-)

Comment by Kelly – November 6, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • taissa farmiga , evan peters , lily rabe , frances conroy , connie britton , dylan mcdermot , sarah paulson & zachary quinto. they’re my loves.
      i can’t see them go ! THEY ALL NEED TO BE IN 4 ALL OF THEM !

Comment by mary – January 21, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story: D.C.

Comment by Stefan – November 6, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Patti Lupone and add Laurie Metcalf into the mix. They could easily play siblings, and Laurie sure can pull off the psycho – She was the only good thing about Scream 2

Comment by Scott T – November 6, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica deserves a break, she always will be the queen of AHS kingdom, but it’s time to see new faces.
    I want Zachary Quinto returns to AHS, and also, the next year True Blood is going to end, Mr Murphy should cast Stephen Moyer, Carrie Preston, Kristin Bauer, Chris Bauer, Fiona Shaw or as he did with Dennis O’Hare.
    AHS with part of the True Blood cast should be AMAZING

Comment by Fernanda – November 6, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHARKS!!

Comment by sammy – November 7, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed in last nights show. Not scary, not in the least and even fast forwarded through some parts. Sigh… please Ryan, if you read this, go back to scary not ghouls, not gore (ignore the requests for teenage angst) enough all really!! You’ve been brilliant up until this season.. come back to your ‘roots’ of truly scary stuff that has me on the edge of my seat, peeking through my fingers. Please?

Comment by Writer11 – November 7, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gutted really hope Jessica Lange changes her mind. I would like to see maybe a medieval type them set maybe around Henry Eigth times. Also maybe a few episodes with chloe sevigny bk didnt get to see lots of her in asylum. i apologise for my dreadful spelling.

Comment by emma pearson – November 7, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking yesterday about how good this show is with casting, and I’m really hoping we’re going to get Ian McShane again this season. As the devil. C’mon, that writes itself!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 7, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see them revisit Murder House when the antichrist has gotten older. Possibly an apocalypse theme or Heaven/Hell. That would be rad.

As much as I’d love to see carnivale, I feel like it’s already been tried and tested and hasn’t worked overly well in terms of ratings.

Comment by Synchronicity – November 8, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see them doing a camp/slasher for season 4 just imagine camp counselers sitting around a camp fire while a killer lurks in the shadows killing them off one by one.

Comment by Rigo Silva – November 10, 2013 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Coven would be awesome

Comment by Angellica.T. – November 14, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When I watch the opening of the show, I’m totally creeped out by those images, especially that ‘stick’ looking thing.. OMG! But then it starts to fall flat, with the exception of the first scene in the season premier – when we see who Kathy Bates character was and she’s really scary/dark – more of that please.. maybe bring the ‘stick’ creature into it and dark woods secrets…. please scare me!! No more teenage zombie crap.

Comment by Linda – November 14, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would really like to see evan peters character a lot more and maby his character could at least have more lines i mean come on but other than that i love the series it is really amazing.

Comment by annie thatcher – December 6, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Evan should have more lines

Comment by Diana – December 26, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Peters, please don’t ever leave American Horror Story.

Comment by Diana – December 26, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love so see Evan and taissa in season 4 as main characters. I loved them in season one (and partially three) together and think they have great onscreen chemistry. When I found out she wasn’t in season two I almost didn’t bother watching it!

Comment by Alexandra – December 29, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!! i didn’t either! taissa & evan are pretty much the glue to the whole show , they both HAVE TO STAY.

Comment by mary – January 21, 2014 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about: AHS Sin City. Mafia/casinos/strip clubs/glamour there’s always someone trying to up someone else to get rich/get their name in lights for a moment of fame on Vegas.
    OR
    AHS Roaring Twenties. Haven’t really thought this one out but maybe a story around a struggling actor/actress and the deeds they would do to get to the top (1920s period though)

Comment by Nikki – January 1, 2014 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The front credits of Coven scared the crap out of me and I was so excited to see what was going to happen.. the opening scenes with Kathy Bates were brilliant and have fallen very short of scary ever since. Still fast forwarding through every episode. Ryan Murphy!! Go dark please, please. Take something from those front credits, like the ‘stick’ creature, etc. and do something with that. REALLY creepy stuff… the rest is just a fairy tale. Are you listening Ryan Murphy?

Comment by Linda Fitzgerald – January 1, 2014 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I love anything American Horror Story. I’m a huge fan of this fantastic anthology, and always will be. Ryan Murphy has created something spectacular, and I love it. Next season, I think it’d be cool if the story centered around a haunted circus or something. That could be incredible!

As for stars, the only recurring cast members I’d love to see in the fourth season are Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, and Evan Peters. These four have stood out to me as fantastic actors and have played all their roles incredibly well. Jessica Lange’s characters are relatively similar in all three seasons, and it’s quite bothersome to me. The show will go on without her, and it will still be awesome.

Comment by Nathan Bambarg – January 1, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Peters, that’s all I can say.

Comment by Heather – January 3, 2014 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I want is for Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe,and Sarah Paulson to return and have main roles. I LOVED the cast of the first season the most and i thought that the onscreen chemistry was best with those actors. I hope Nashville gets cancelled so Connie can return to AHS. I also reallly want Evan and Taissa to have another really epic love story connection , i definitely loved their chemistry in the first season and i thought that Evan’s best character was Tate and that he should play another character similar to him. I don’t really want Emma Roberts to return, I don’t know i just kind of have a thing about her being on AHS, but i really do love her in other movies. I also agree that AHS needs to bring back the creepy darkness that it had in the first and second season. Season three has a lot of “Scare”, but not the same kind of horror it had it the first two seasons. Personally i will be excited about anything the creators decide to do with the plot and story line for season 4. I know the show will be great in any way it decides to go!

Comment by Emily Becker – January 5, 2014 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • evan peters must be in every season the next one he should be the main character everyone loves him and i do hear rumors about the carnival and i like that idea a lot!!!! Yay can’t wait for next season.

Comment by linds – January 6, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gypsy. Native American. Hotel (shining comes to mind). Clowns. Small town conspiracy like wax house, the burbs, stepford. Hopefully scary

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2014 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lily Rabe MUST be there!!

Comment by Frank – January 9, 2014 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes definitely bring back Zachary Quinto

Comment by Ryiot – January 23, 2014 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep Taissa Farmiga next season please!!

Comment by Monalisa Unutoa – January 23, 2014 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah they ahould keep taissa and also evan.

Comment by Nini – January 25, 2014 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No clowns PLEASE!!!! NO! NO! NO! THAT’S NOT OK!

Comment by April – January 25, 2014 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan peters should actually be in season 4 !! @@@

Comment by Nini – January 25, 2014 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t get any hints in this year’s finale. Personally I would love more of Misty Day but I know that boat has sailed. I thought the writing was great this year. But the one thing I don’t understand is the fans love for Evan. He’s okay but…

Comment by Nancy – January 30, 2014 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I loved the interjection of Stevie Nicks songs and her appearance. Too bad about Misty. I am also enjoying looking at the sets – the aesthetic is very in keeping with my own in many ways. I still really need the story to be scarier though. Leaves me not exactly anticipating each weeks show, this season. C’mon Ryan show us your original brilliance. How about a great UFO/Abduction scenario next time? Make it truly creepy.

Comment by Linda – January 30, 2014 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post