American Horror Story Renewed for Season 4

American Horror StoryThe season of the witch won’t be the last for Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story.

FX announced Wednesday that the spooky smash (which has cast a spell on viewers this season) will return for a fourth season.

PHOTOS | American Horror Story Season 4 (and Beyond): 7 Possible, Mostly Plausible Premises

The current season, Coven, will conclude on January 29. The new season is slated to begin in late 2014.

AHS grande dame Jessica Lange has told Buzzfeed that the newly announced upcoming season will be her final one, but other cast information is not yet known. Based on past seasons, this fourth Story probably will include a mix of familiar faces and new blood.

Likewise, there are no details yet on the new plot of the series — which changes its story and setting every year — but executive producer Murphy has said that he may drop a hint in the final episode of this season. Hit the comments with your ideas for AHS 4.0. How would you like your scares served up next year? And which AHS favorites do you want to see return?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Renewals

1. J says:

It definitely won’t be the same without Lange if it continues past 4, but I’m still in!

• Writer11 says:

Absolutely agree about losing Lange and of course will continue to watch regardless. I am going to say this though – I hope Ryan goes really ‘dark’ again. I’m not into some of the scenarios this year – i.e.’ the young ones and zombies – not enough scary for me. There are so many zombies and shows for younger audience that I’m kind of resenting he’s catered to that. I am just not anticipating each, weekly episode like in past seasons – loving it but not as much. It’s subjective of course, but am interested to know if others agree??

• BL says:

I feel like we may be miniority but I agree with you. Coven is good but not great like Murder House or Asylum. I am just not scared.

• NattC says:

Totally agree, Coven is still amazing and I love it… But Murder House and Asylum were so much darker and unnerving. This one has lost some of that pzazz and I would love to see it go back to the original creepiness.

• Frankieboy says:

Coven is my fave season out of the 3 so far. Maybe cause i am a sucka for a strong female driven cast and witch stories. The acting this season has been on a whole other level of awesomeness. The new episode can’t come soon enough, seeing lange, bassett and bates every week on my screen is just a gift from the tv gods!

• writer11 says:

I’m with you on a strong, female cast BUT since my last comment, I’ve watched another episode and am totally disappointed. So bored with resurrections (Zombies) of the dead and where is Ryan taking Jessica’s character? I feel like it’s all over the map and absolutely nothing is very scary. Go back to dark please. I’m fast forwarding through a lot of the recording now and that’s a bad sign. I’m a horror aficionado and this is not like the first two seasons…. is it about money and buying a young audience to keep it on the air? I’ll keep watching because I’m still hopeful. C’mon, somebody scare me please!! Do I have to write a new show myself? Hmmmm….

2. Martina says:

Besides Jessica Lange, I would love to see Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Dylan McDermott back! I wasn’t expecting to like Emma Roberts’ performance on Coven so I would like to see her again, depending the role she plays.

3. Dexter591 says:

Great news!!!

I’m obsessed with the idea of the haunted carnival/fair! I just think that would be awesome!

4. Makenzie says:

Evan Peters, never leave us

• Violet smithman says:

Omfg yes he HAS to stay. I love him sooooo much! He just absolutely HAS to be in this 4th season!!!! Preferably in a relationship with Tassia again! I love when evan and Tassia are together in the show!!!!

5. Lo says:

Opera/ Playhouse or Carnival!

6. Rose says:

Can they PLEASE get Connie Britton back for this.

7. pam says:

I hope Jessica Lange reconsiders her decision. Her performance is awesome and I would like to see her in season 5, 6, 7…. she can’t leave the show!!

• DL says:

While I will always, always say yes to more Lange, I’m hoping Kathy Bates and maybe Angela Bassett as well will step up to fill her shoes.

8. Martina says:

Now, I would a travelling circus/carnival fair type of theme. Psycho clowns, cannibal lion taners and creepy characters of that sort.

9. Bernadette says:

Bring back Zachary Quinto!

10. Joe R says:

The idea of the series is to reinvent genre cliches and make them scary again (haunted house, spooky mental hospital, witches). I’d like season 4 to give a terrifying makeover to the slasher flick genre. I know we had Bloody Face in “Asylum,” but make an entire season out of an unstoppable killer like Jason or Michael Myers, complete with teens at camp, babysitting and such, but with the signature AHS treatment. Ryan Murphy could totally make it work.

11. pam says:

I would like to see more of Alexandra Breckenridge. She got killed off on the last episode, I hope she returns for more episodes and seasons

12. sarah says:

bring back evan peters and lilly rabe defo. also try and bring back zachary quinto, very impressed with gabouray and kathy bates this years but i doubt they will return. please for the love of god no more emma roberts and sarah paulson.

• DL says:

I don’t love Paulson’s character this year, but she was AMAZING in Asylum (at least, imo). Would actually like to see her come back and take a villainous turn.

13. sara says:

yaaaaaaaaaaaay

14. Tori says:

I think a lot people forgot that HBO already did a supernatural series set in a carnival. I wish they could have beaten Showtime’s upcoming series Penny Dredful to punch of doing the classic monsters. Maybe the next season can revolve around reincarnation or the goverment’s former experimentation into psychic research?

• Joey says:

You’re going to make me cry. Carnivale (as well as Deadwood and Rome) was canceled far too soon.

• Jenn Vince says:

I agree!! Carnivale was cancelled too soon. That was a great show with a lot of promise. AHS could definitely make a storyline like that work!

• Nancy says:

Those series were the best of cable TV. It seems quality writing costs too much while lackluster goes on ad infinidum

15. Michael says:

More Taissa Farmiga in season 4 please!

16. I look forward to whatever they do. This season has been the best and I loved the other seasons too.

17. Maki says:

I liked your Circus Idea. They could cast Gaga and Britney and rock it ;)

18. Arlina says:

How about New Mexico? You have Roswell, Navajo skinwalkers, brujas, curanderos and a banshee.

19. Pati says:

so far this is my least favorite season. But I will keep watching

20. Matt W says:

American Horror Story: Glee

21. Thea says:

I completely second this! Would love to see Murphy and Co. take on carnies!

(You know what else I’d love Team TVLine? An edit button.)

22. Gaara says:

I too would like a travelling circus setting, maybe during the Dust Bowl era. Or something about Roanoke’s lost colony or Anasazi tribe disappearance.. Most of all I’d love anything Lovecraft related *-*

• DL says:

Ia ia Cthulhu! Ancient evil from beyond the stars… I’m so there. Something based off Innsmouth would also be awesome. Creepy town of evil.

23. Fernando says:

I hope Lange will decide to stay I think it’s still to soon, I think a season 5 or 6 should be her last and if they like they could go past these season without her. I just hope next season is really scary like asylum. I love season 3 but I think it lack horror. Storyline wise it’s amazing but just not living up to its name.

• DL says:

I’ve ranted about this before, scares =/= horror. There is tons of horror in Coven, just not scares. I do agree it needs to be more scary, but I don’t think people should equate the two.

24. Kelly says:

Taissa Farmiga need to stay on as a regular in season 4 and future seasons thats all i want :-)

• mary says:

taissa farmiga , evan peters , lily rabe , frances conroy , connie britton , dylan mcdermot , sarah paulson & zachary quinto. they’re my loves.
      i can’t see them go ! THEY ALL NEED TO BE IN 4 ALL OF THEM !

25. Stefan says:

American Horror Story: D.C.

26. Scott T says:

Bring back Patti Lupone and add Laurie Metcalf into the mix. They could easily play siblings, and Laurie sure can pull off the psycho – She was the only good thing about Scream 2

27. Fernanda says:

Jessica deserves a break, she always will be the queen of AHS kingdom, but it’s time to see new faces.
    I want Zachary Quinto returns to AHS, and also, the next year True Blood is going to end, Mr Murphy should cast Stephen Moyer, Carrie Preston, Kristin Bauer, Chris Bauer, Fiona Shaw or as he did with Dennis O’Hare.
    AHS with part of the True Blood cast should be AMAZING

28. sammy says:

SHARKS!!

29. Writer11 says:

I am so disappointed in last nights show. Not scary, not in the least and even fast forwarded through some parts. Sigh… please Ryan, if you read this, go back to scary not ghouls, not gore (ignore the requests for teenage angst) enough all really!! You’ve been brilliant up until this season.. come back to your ‘roots’ of truly scary stuff that has me on the edge of my seat, peeking through my fingers. Please?

30. emma pearson says:

gutted really hope Jessica Lange changes her mind. I would like to see maybe a medieval type them set maybe around Henry Eigth times. Also maybe a few episodes with chloe sevigny bk didnt get to see lots of her in asylum. i apologise for my dreadful spelling.

31. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was thinking yesterday about how good this show is with casting, and I’m really hoping we’re going to get Ian McShane again this season. As the devil. C’mon, that writes itself!

32. Synchronicity says:

I’d love to see them revisit Murder House when the antichrist has gotten older. Possibly an apocalypse theme or Heaven/Hell. That would be rad.

As much as I’d love to see carnivale, I feel like it’s already been tried and tested and hasn’t worked overly well in terms of ratings.

33. Rigo Silva says:

I could see them doing a camp/slasher for season 4 just imagine camp counselers sitting around a camp fire while a killer lurks in the shadows killing them off one by one.

34. Angellica.T. says:

More Coven would be awesome

• Linda says:

When I watch the opening of the show, I’m totally creeped out by those images, especially that ‘stick’ looking thing.. OMG! But then it starts to fall flat, with the exception of the first scene in the season premier – when we see who Kathy Bates character was and she’s really scary/dark – more of that please.. maybe bring the ‘stick’ creature into it and dark woods secrets…. please scare me!! No more teenage zombie crap.

35. annie thatcher says:

i would really like to see evan peters character a lot more and maby his character could at least have more lines i mean come on but other than that i love the series it is really amazing.

36. Diana says:

Evan Peters, please don’t ever leave American Horror Story.

37. Alexandra says:

I would love so see Evan and taissa in season 4 as main characters. I loved them in season one (and partially three) together and think they have great onscreen chemistry. When I found out she wasn’t in season two I almost didn’t bother watching it!

38. Nikki says:

How about: AHS Sin City. Mafia/casinos/strip clubs/glamour there’s always someone trying to up someone else to get rich/get their name in lights for a moment of fame on Vegas.
    OR
    AHS Roaring Twenties. Haven’t really thought this one out but maybe a story around a struggling actor/actress and the deeds they would do to get to the top (1920s period though)

39. Linda Fitzgerald says:

The front credits of Coven scared the crap out of me and I was so excited to see what was going to happen.. the opening scenes with Kathy Bates were brilliant and have fallen very short of scary ever since. Still fast forwarding through every episode. Ryan Murphy!! Go dark please, please. Take something from those front credits, like the ‘stick’ creature, etc. and do something with that. REALLY creepy stuff… the rest is just a fairy tale. Are you listening Ryan Murphy?

40. Nathan Bambarg says:

Personally, I love anything American Horror Story. I’m a huge fan of this fantastic anthology, and always will be. Ryan Murphy has created something spectacular, and I love it. Next season, I think it’d be cool if the story centered around a haunted circus or something. That could be incredible!

As for stars, the only recurring cast members I’d love to see in the fourth season are Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, and Evan Peters. These four have stood out to me as fantastic actors and have played all their roles incredibly well. Jessica Lange’s characters are relatively similar in all three seasons, and it’s quite bothersome to me. The show will go on without her, and it will still be awesome.

41. Heather says:

Evan Peters, that’s all I can say.

42. Emily Becker says:

All I want is for Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe,and Sarah Paulson to return and have main roles. I LOVED the cast of the first season the most and i thought that the onscreen chemistry was best with those actors. I hope Nashville gets cancelled so Connie can return to AHS. I also reallly want Evan and Taissa to have another really epic love story connection , i definitely loved their chemistry in the first season and i thought that Evan’s best character was Tate and that he should play another character similar to him. I don’t really want Emma Roberts to return, I don’t know i just kind of have a thing about her being on AHS, but i really do love her in other movies. I also agree that AHS needs to bring back the creepy darkness that it had in the first and second season. Season three has a lot of “Scare”, but not the same kind of horror it had it the first two seasons. Personally i will be excited about anything the creators decide to do with the plot and story line for season 4. I know the show will be great in any way it decides to go!

43. linds says:

evan peters must be in every season the next one he should be the main character everyone loves him and i do hear rumors about the carnival and i like that idea a lot!!!! Yay can’t wait for next season.

44. Samantha says:

Gypsy. Native American. Hotel (shining comes to mind). Clowns. Small town conspiracy like wax house, the burbs, stepford. Hopefully scary

45. Frank says:

Lily Rabe MUST be there!!

46. Ryiot says:

Yes definitely bring back Zachary Quinto

47. Monalisa Unutoa says:

Keep Taissa Farmiga next season please!!

48. April says:

No clowns PLEASE!!!! NO! NO! NO! THAT’S NOT OK!

49. Nini says:

Evan peters should actually be in season 4 !! @@@

50. Nancy says:

I didn’t get any hints in this year’s finale. Personally I would love more of Misty Day but I know that boat has sailed. I thought the writing was great this year. But the one thing I don’t understand is the fans love for Evan. He’s okay but…

• Linda says:

I agree. I loved the interjection of Stevie Nicks songs and her appearance. Too bad about Misty. I am also enjoying looking at the sets – the aesthetic is very in keeping with my own in many ways. I still really need the story to be scarier though. Leaves me not exactly anticipating each weeks show, this season. C’mon Ryan show us your original brilliance. How about a great UFO/Abduction scenario next time? Make it truly creepy.