Ratings: Dracula Bleeds Viewers, Carrie Steady

Get More: News, Ratings

Ratings Dracula DropsA weaker if thematically appropriate lead-in sent NBC’s Grimm and Dracula falling this first Friday of November sweeps.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

With a vampires-themed “news” special opening the Peacock’s night with 2.6 million total viewers and an anemic 0.7 rating — versus Dateline‘s week-ago 6 mil/1.3 — Grimm dropped 19 and 17 percent to 5 mil and a 1.5.

Dracula in turn drew 3.4 mil and a 1.3, falling 36 and 28 percent from its strong debut.

Over on ABC, Last Man Standing (6.2 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth from its last fresh outing, while The Neighbors (4.6 mil/1.0) was flat. Shark Tank (7.1 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth but easily commanded Friday’s best demo rating.

CBS’ Undercover Boss (9 mil/1.4) added audience but dropped two tenths in the demo, Hawaii Five-0 (9.6 mil/1.3) ticked down a tenth and Blue Bloods (10.7 mil/1.3) lost a few eyeballs but was flat in the demo.

The CW’s The Carrie Diaries, with 942,000 viewers and a 0.3 rating, added a few eyeballs while matching its premiere rating; Top Model (1 mil/0.4) was flat…. Fox’s MasterChef Junior (3.9 mil/1.3) dipped a tenth.

Tags: ,

Comments (41)

• I’m so sad for Carrie Diaries… It’s one of the best shows in The CW in a long, long time!

Comment by James – November 2, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a shame for the CD. It’ s a really solid show but the SatC fans this is to childish and the teenies aren’t that into it. I like the character, Samantha is awesome but the Sebastian thing is a bit pushing things and the writers should move on.

Comment by Maki – November 2, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno. I watched SATC and I’m no teen and I still really enjoy TCD. AnnaSophia is doing a bang up job and just overall the show is really strong. I think its quite realistic.

Comment by liz – November 2, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Same here.Im not a teen and watched SaTC (in syndication and DVD).I also think Anna Sophia is terrific

Comment by Brandy – November 2, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m 26. My mom and I LOVE this show!! It’s great, and I really hope it picks up. Much better than Gossip Girl, which only had two good seasons in the beginning. Carrie needs to forgive Sebastian, he didn’t sleep with Maggie! A kiss is wrong still but come on!!

Comment by lorna – November 4, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I concur that CD is a really solid show. I think this especially true when it focuses on Carrie’s friends and family and her relationship with them.
        Where I have trouble is when the focus shifts onto Carrie’s more romantic relationships. Which I know is kind of ironic considering. It’s just hard to get invested in Sebastian or any other love interest of Carrie’s when we all know that the day that Carrie runs into Mr. Big on the sidewalk is just waiting out there somewhere in the future.

Comment by writingmyownway – November 2, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree James! TCD is one of my favorite the CW shows! these ratings are depressing me :(

Comment by Elyse – November 2, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m just sad people are not giving it an opportunity. I get it’s not the same storyline from the original SatC, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Comment by James – November 2, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t watch SATC idk if maybe that’s why I like TCD so much? I think I would still like it though. I wish more people would give it a chance because it’s fantastic!

Comment by Elyse – November 2, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks for Dracula.

Comment by Et al – November 2, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t Dracula a closed-ended miniseries? If it is, I’m sure NBC will stick it out for 13 episodes.

Comment by WayneInNYC – November 2, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I concur, Wayne. It is/was originally planned as a 10-episode mini-series. Of course, if ratings were spectactular, the mini-series would likely and miraculously morph into a “first season”. Unfortunately, with the dive in ratings between episode 1 and 2, that is not looking promising.

Comment by Stephen V – November 2, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see what you did there. ;)

Comment by DL – November 2, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings wouldn’t be so bad if Dracula didn’t suck. I gave it another try and was even more bored. There’s a scene where Meyers just prattles on and on for five minutes to Renfield and the only revelation we get from his talk talk talking is that he prefers a girl human over turning her. And then there’s the fencing scene. “Hey, this could be good,” I told myself. But there’s no real fight choreography. It’s a scene for two people to flirt in the most boring and drawn out way possible. It may as well have been a hot dog eating contest they were at. Whoever’s writing this crap probably has maybe 50 minutes of story and is filling it with dialogue that they think is way more entertaining than it actually is. Even the scene where Van Helsing is “fighting” that other vamp, it’s all talking while he’s pinned down and hissing. If you take the vampire mythos out of this show, you just get a boring version of Downton Abbey.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 2, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You pretty much summed up my perception of Dracula. Awesome job. Really JRM is trying to turn Dracula into The Tudors or Hamlet with fangs!

Comment by Jake – November 2, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I couldn’t even finish the second episode of Dracula. It had such potential.
        But the writing is horrific, and not in a good horror story way.

Comment by Morgen – November 2, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dialogue is half the fun. The fencing scene was meant to be quick as it featured two minor characters. This show might be too different for you bud. Better stick to criminal minds over on CBS or wait for the murder she wrote reboot.

Comment by cj – November 3, 2013 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think being different is “bud’s” problem with the show there cj. They explained and detailed pretty clearly why they don’t like it. And I agree. You’re allowed to like it but you don’t have to be condescending to those that don’t (stick to Criminal Minds, really?).

Comment by Francine – November 3, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • There’s always someone who defends an unpopular show with by saying something along the lines of, “it’s too INTELLIGENT for most Americans!”

Comment by Sheila – November 3, 2013 06:56 AM PDT
        • Well, I never! While I wait for Mr. Beasley to fetch me a tea, I shall retort to your most appalling accusations, most appalling, mmmmhyes. Writing 101, rule #1: Show, don’t tell. If your dialogue neither moves the story, nor is entertaining, it becomes self-indulgent. Dracula is humorless and takes itself completely seriously, therefore making it impossible for the dialogue to be fun. Please provide examples if you think me mistaken. As for what I think is quality, I do not watch Criminal Minds. If I must champion a single network show, it is The Good Wife, which is endlessly entertaining, smartly written and beautifully acted. I would rather watch the worst Kalinda husband episodes of The Good Wife over the least boring Dracula episode (I challenge you to pick which). A GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 3, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dracula itself just plain sucks!

Comment by Alex – November 2, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like The Carrie Diaries too! I never expected to like it, but the show is just so charming.

Comment by Wouter – November 2, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on, people! Give TCD some eyeballs. It’s really one of the best “teen” shows in a long time.

Comment by Amanda – November 2, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More people need to watch TCD. It’s a good show, it really is, especially with the addition of Samantha. What’s wrong with you people!

Comment by kchamley – November 2, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve gotten really attached to The Carrie Diaries. It’s such a shame that people aren’t giving it a chance because it’s a breath of fresh air compared to the recent teen dramas. The show’s heart-warming. Each episode puts a smile on my face. Maybe if the ratings remain steady, it will get another surprise pickup? *sigh*

Comment by William – November 2, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s true what they say – low ratings affect viewership? Kind of like a vicious catch-22. I was a HUGE SATC fan so even I’m not sure why I haven’t taken a look at TCD. And since the ratings aren’t great, I don’t want to get too invested in a show that may get cancelled. I’ve never read that much about the TCD though. It doesn’t seem to get that much media attention as the other CW shows like the VD or even Arrow.

Comment by charlotte – November 2, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope you will give it a chance. It really is a great, fun show with lots of heart. And seeing the beginning of Samantha/Carrie is so cool.

Comment by brianwhisenant – November 2, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the Dracula episode was great! Especially seeing him smooch (well, yes, it was more of peck than a smooch) the younger guy.

Hey now!!!! :P

Comment by Dee – November 2, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoyed it as well. That little peck closer to the mouth than the cheek was brilliant!

Comment by Rain – November 4, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Dracula. I think it’s a good show, despite all the hate it’s getting.

Comment by Mikael – November 4, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO Fantasy/horror/supernatural programming has reached saturation point just as reality programming has. People will be deserting these shows in droves pretty quickly.

Comment by Stormy – November 2, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save Carrie Diaries please, start watching people and CW move the show maybe to Mondays in place of B&B

Comment by DavidSask – November 2, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wife and love Grimm! Hope it picks up steam here and NBC doesn’t do anything rash, like cancel a terrific show – again.

Comment by Scott – November 2, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typo! Wife and “I” love Grimm!

Comment by Scott – November 2, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Typos are common for me, too. And we share the name. blast it … Scott’s are cursed! :-)

Comment by A Fellow 'Scott' – November 3, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Dracula ep! Lots of dramatic fun. I think there is a lot of potential, and JRM is too pretty not to watch.

Comment by Amy – November 2, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m enjoying Dracula. Like the Victorian setting and jrm is killing it in the role, no pun intended. Hes like spader in blacklist very watchable. My two suggestions though would be… Unless they want to go full villain… Is have Dracula kill bad guys only to get his blood. Sort of like dexter. That way he keeps a lower profile and the audience can continue to root for him. And fix Harper’s character… He’s an unlikable twat. Bad casting there I must say. Still not enough to detract from an otherwise enjoyable hour of tv that flies by.

Comment by cj – November 3, 2013 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dracula is a Bloody Mess and TCD is ridic.

Comment by tia – November 3, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The major problem I have with Dracula is that his annoying American accent is NOT sexy. JRM’s accent has a nasal tone. If I have to listen to boring dialogue, I want the English accent at least. It was hard to get through Episode 1, but Episode 2 was impossible.

Comment by Cindy – November 3, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the 2nd episode very enjoyable. Once you accept the premise of the opposing cults, things can take many interesting turns! I hope it sticks around.

Comment by veronica – November 5, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love Grimm and are avid fans, but Dracula is fast becoming our favorite. What is there not to like? It has sex, gore, and an interesting storyline. Finding it a visual feast. It would be heartbreaking to cancel it.

Comment by Pepper Wolf – November 9, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post