Ratings: Dracula Bleeds Viewers, Carrie Steady

Ratings Dracula DropsA weaker if thematically appropriate lead-in sent NBC’s Grimm and Dracula falling this first Friday of November sweeps.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

With a vampires-themed “news” special opening the Peacock’s night with 2.6 million total viewers and an anemic 0.7 rating — versus Dateline‘s week-ago 6 mil/1.3 — Grimm dropped 19 and 17 percent to 5 mil and a 1.5.

Dracula in turn drew 3.4 mil and a 1.3, falling 36 and 28 percent from its strong debut.

Over on ABC, Last Man Standing (6.2 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth from its last fresh outing, while The Neighbors (4.6 mil/1.0) was flat. Shark Tank (7.1 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth but easily commanded Friday’s best demo rating.

CBS’ Undercover Boss (9 mil/1.4) added audience but dropped two tenths in the demo, Hawaii Five-0 (9.6 mil/1.3) ticked down a tenth and Blue Bloods (10.7 mil/1.3) lost a few eyeballs but was flat in the demo.

The CW’s The Carrie Diaries, with 942,000 viewers and a 0.3 rating, added a few eyeballs while matching its premiere rating; Top Model (1 mil/0.4) was flat…. Fox’s MasterChef Junior (3.9 mil/1.3) dipped a tenth.

1. James says:

I’m so sad for Carrie Diaries… It’s one of the best shows in The CW in a long, long time!

• Maki says:

It’s a shame for the CD. It’ s a really solid show but the SatC fans this is to childish and the teenies aren’t that into it. I like the character, Samantha is awesome but the Sebastian thing is a bit pushing things and the writers should move on.

• liz says:

I dunno. I watched SATC and I’m no teen and I still really enjoy TCD. AnnaSophia is doing a bang up job and just overall the show is really strong. I think its quite realistic.

• Brandy says:

Same here.Im not a teen and watched SaTC (in syndication and DVD).I also think Anna Sophia is terrific

• lorna says:

I’m 26. My mom and I LOVE this show!! It’s great, and I really hope it picks up. Much better than Gossip Girl, which only had two good seasons in the beginning. Carrie needs to forgive Sebastian, he didn’t sleep with Maggie! A kiss is wrong still but come on!!

• I concur that CD is a really solid show. I think this especially true when it focuses on Carrie’s friends and family and her relationship with them.
        Where I have trouble is when the focus shifts onto Carrie’s more romantic relationships. Which I know is kind of ironic considering. It’s just hard to get invested in Sebastian or any other love interest of Carrie’s when we all know that the day that Carrie runs into Mr. Big on the sidewalk is just waiting out there somewhere in the future.

• Elyse says:

I agree James! TCD is one of my favorite the CW shows! these ratings are depressing me :(

• James says:

I’m just sad people are not giving it an opportunity. I get it’s not the same storyline from the original SatC, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

• Elyse says:

I didn’t watch SATC idk if maybe that’s why I like TCD so much? I think I would still like it though. I wish more people would give it a chance because it’s fantastic!

2. Et al says:

That sucks for Dracula.

• WayneInNYC says:

Isn’t Dracula a closed-ended miniseries? If it is, I’m sure NBC will stick it out for 13 episodes.

• Stephen V says:

I concur, Wayne. It is/was originally planned as a 10-episode mini-series. Of course, if ratings were spectactular, the mini-series would likely and miraculously morph into a “first season”. Unfortunately, with the dive in ratings between episode 1 and 2, that is not looking promising.

• DL says:

I see what you did there. ;)

• Ratings wouldn’t be so bad if Dracula didn’t suck. I gave it another try and was even more bored. There’s a scene where Meyers just prattles on and on for five minutes to Renfield and the only revelation we get from his talk talk talking is that he prefers a girl human over turning her. And then there’s the fencing scene. “Hey, this could be good,” I told myself. But there’s no real fight choreography. It’s a scene for two people to flirt in the most boring and drawn out way possible. It may as well have been a hot dog eating contest they were at. Whoever’s writing this crap probably has maybe 50 minutes of story and is filling it with dialogue that they think is way more entertaining than it actually is. Even the scene where Van Helsing is “fighting” that other vamp, it’s all talking while he’s pinned down and hissing. If you take the vampire mythos out of this show, you just get a boring version of Downton Abbey.

• Jake says:

You pretty much summed up my perception of Dracula. Awesome job. Really JRM is trying to turn Dracula into The Tudors or Hamlet with fangs!

• Morgen says:

I agree. I couldn’t even finish the second episode of Dracula. It had such potential.
        But the writing is horrific, and not in a good horror story way.

• cj says:

Dialogue is half the fun. The fencing scene was meant to be quick as it featured two minor characters. This show might be too different for you bud. Better stick to criminal minds over on CBS or wait for the murder she wrote reboot.

• Francine says:

I don’t think being different is “bud’s” problem with the show there cj. They explained and detailed pretty clearly why they don’t like it. And I agree. You’re allowed to like it but you don’t have to be condescending to those that don’t (stick to Criminal Minds, really?).

• Sheila says:

There’s always someone who defends an unpopular show with by saying something along the lines of, “it’s too INTELLIGENT for most Americans!”

• Well, I never! While I wait for Mr. Beasley to fetch me a tea, I shall retort to your most appalling accusations, most appalling, mmmmhyes. Writing 101, rule #1: Show, don’t tell. If your dialogue neither moves the story, nor is entertaining, it becomes self-indulgent. Dracula is humorless and takes itself completely seriously, therefore making it impossible for the dialogue to be fun. Please provide examples if you think me mistaken. As for what I think is quality, I do not watch Criminal Minds. If I must champion a single network show, it is The Good Wife, which is endlessly entertaining, smartly written and beautifully acted. I would rather watch the worst Kalinda husband episodes of The Good Wife over the least boring Dracula episode (I challenge you to pick which). A GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR.

• Alex says:

Dracula itself just plain sucks!

3. Wouter says:

I really like The Carrie Diaries too! I never expected to like it, but the show is just so charming.

4. Amanda says:

Come on, people! Give TCD some eyeballs. It’s really one of the best “teen” shows in a long time.

5. kchamley says:

More people need to watch TCD. It’s a good show, it really is, especially with the addition of Samantha. What’s wrong with you people!

6. William says:

I’ve gotten really attached to The Carrie Diaries. It’s such a shame that people aren’t giving it a chance because it’s a breath of fresh air compared to the recent teen dramas. The show’s heart-warming. Each episode puts a smile on my face. Maybe if the ratings remain steady, it will get another surprise pickup? *sigh*

7. charlotte says:

Maybe it’s true what they say – low ratings affect viewership? Kind of like a vicious catch-22. I was a HUGE SATC fan so even I’m not sure why I haven’t taken a look at TCD. And since the ratings aren’t great, I don’t want to get too invested in a show that may get cancelled. I’ve never read that much about the TCD though. It doesn’t seem to get that much media attention as the other CW shows like the VD or even Arrow.

• brianwhisenant says:

Hope you will give it a chance. It really is a great, fun show with lots of heart. And seeing the beginning of Samantha/Carrie is so cool.

8. Dee says:

I thought the Dracula episode was great! Especially seeing him smooch (well, yes, it was more of peck than a smooch) the younger guy.

Hey now!!!! :P

9. Stormy says:

IMO Fantasy/horror/supernatural programming has reached saturation point just as reality programming has. People will be deserting these shows in droves pretty quickly.

10. DavidSask says:

Save Carrie Diaries please, start watching people and CW move the show maybe to Mondays in place of B&B

11. Scott says:

Wife and love Grimm! Hope it picks up steam here and NBC doesn’t do anything rash, like cancel a terrific show – again.

12. Amy says:

I loved the Dracula ep! Lots of dramatic fun. I think there is a lot of potential, and JRM is too pretty not to watch.

13. cj says:

I’m enjoying Dracula. Like the Victorian setting and jrm is killing it in the role, no pun intended. Hes like spader in blacklist very watchable. My two suggestions though would be… Unless they want to go full villain… Is have Dracula kill bad guys only to get his blood. Sort of like dexter. That way he keeps a lower profile and the audience can continue to root for him. And fix Harper’s character… He’s an unlikable twat. Bad casting there I must say. Still not enough to detract from an otherwise enjoyable hour of tv that flies by.

14. tia says:

Dracula is a Bloody Mess and TCD is ridic.

15. Cindy says:

The major problem I have with Dracula is that his annoying American accent is NOT sexy. JRM’s accent has a nasal tone. If I have to listen to boring dialogue, I want the English accent at least. It was hard to get through Episode 1, but Episode 2 was impossible.

16. veronica says:

I found the 2nd episode very enjoyable. Once you accept the premise of the opposing cults, things can take many interesting turns! I hope it sticks around.

17. Pepper Wolf says:

We love Grimm and are avid fans, but Dracula is fast becoming our favorite. What is there not to like? It has sex, gore, and an interesting storyline. Finding it a visual feast. It would be heartbreaking to cancel it.