Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Plans Thor 2 'Crossover'

Marvels Agents of SHIELD Thor CrossoverMarvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about to drop the hammer — Thor’s hammer.

The ABC drama, which takes place in the same universe as feature films such as The Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America, will air a November episode that picks up where the upcoming movie Thor: The Dark World leaves off.

RELATED | Has S.H.I.E.L.D. Found Itself Yet? Marvel Exec Jeph Loeb Answers That and Other Burning Qs

Dark World, the sequel to 2011’s Thor, will bow in theaters Nov. 8. Less than two weeks later, in the Nov. 19 episode of S.H.I.E.L.D., EW.com reports, Couslon & Co. will deal with the movie plot’s fallout — some of which “threatens to destroy a member of the team.”

RELATED | Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets Full-Season Order

And just when you thought the episode, titled “The Well,” couldn’t possibly have any more geek cred: Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s Jonathan Frakes will direct. No Thor characters/actors, however, will appear in the S.H.I.E.L.D. follow-up.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. resumes its 22-episode freshman run on Tuesday, Nov. 5.

1. Mikaela says:

Tying it all together! Love it! Maybe they’ll make a reference in the film if we’re really, really lucky!

• Fido says:

.. like having Thor give Coulson a big hug for being alive ?! :)

• Alan says:

i doubt they will reference the show in the movies while its still in the early stages, if and when the show makes it into a second season then they might get confident enough to reference the show in movies.

2. Brenna says:

Looks like I’m not completely done with this show after all. Can’t wait!

3. Damn says:

Wait, won’t this ruin the ending to the film for people who haven’t manage to see the film during the 2 week gap?

• Teag says:

I figure the fans following the movie and show will have seen the movie in time for the episode.

• LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

I guess I’m one of the few who plan on watching Thor 2 when it comes out on DVD…not anxious to go out and see it. I hope there’ll be a clear explanation or something. They didn’t do a good job w/ Extremis (if I didn’t watch IM3 the weekend before series premiere…it would’ve been confusing to me lol)

• creativkook says:

Thor is already out overseas and I can tell you that it’s much, much better than the mess of Iron Man 3. Think more tesseract type power than crazy experiment, too, though they are from space.

• LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

I’ve seen Thor, Captain America and The Avengers and I still don’t know what exactly the tesseract does. lol

• Kevin McB says:

As to what the Tesseract does: “Yes.” It’s the MacGuffin of the Marvel movieverse. You need something done? Break out the Tesseract! I’m pretty sure the Tesseract is responsible for everything from the rise of Hitler and assassination of JFK to the TARDIS-like interior of Coulson’s plane and Lola.

• Jake says:

It was confusing to me that’s for sure, but it wasn’t horrible (I still haven’t seen Iron Man 3 believe it or not) Maybe I’ll rent it tomorrow or something, just to have something to do.

• Evyn says:

you should go watch it, it´s much better than IM3 and the first Thor movie

• PPPG says:

I have no choice but to wait (deaf – need the SDH) so I, too, hope it’s adequately explained.

• WingsStef says:

I am going to guess they are going to make reference parts that take place on Earth? I haven’t seen an advance showing or anything but from previews it looks like much maybe most of the movie takes place in Asgard or one of the other realms? So you probably won’t get spoiled too much. But this is just a guess.

• Alan says:

its about 3/4 in asgard or the rest of the nine realms with the rest of it on earth, and there is enough minor stuff left over that an episode could be built on without spending too much time on the major points of the movie.

• Eurisko says:

um what? that’s not very smart.

• Raist1 says:

I’m guessing that anyone that has seen a trailer for the film will not have the film be spoiled by what they see in the episode.

• Dj says:

The show is still dealing with plots from Ironman 3 and it doesn’t spoil the ending of that film.

• Delirious says:

I really hope they do the same thing with Thor 2 – don’t think I’ll be able to watch it in theaters, at least not before I watch the Agents episode :S

• BiancaHorkan says:

I may not see the movie in time… So I might end up spoiled or not “get” something.

This is both good & bad.

4. Eurisko says:

this show is very lucky. ABC/Disney/Marvel is giving it the time, every chance, to get better.

• BenM says:

Why wouldn’t you? The Marvel Cinematic Universe is an unmitigated success. If any show in ABC’s stable can add viewers over the course of seasons, this is it.

• David4 says:

You do realize that ABC / Disney / Marvel are all owned by the same company right?

• matthewstaller1@gmail.com says:

Eurisko was just making a statement. A good one too. By this point, it’s no secret that Disney owns Marvel and ABC. Not to mention the partnership between Yahoo! and ABC. Oh, then you have ABC partnering with ESPN because Disney owns both of them too.

• Alan says:

given the amount of shows out there that were much worse than this but got better as time goes by (im looking at you arrow and that awful voice over you used to have) why shouldnt they give it the chance to go from a decent show to a great one.

5. As if I needed another reason to go see the movie.

6. Alex says:

Frakes is the second Star Trek actor to direct an episode of SHIELD – Roxann Dawson directed an earlier one (“Eye Spy”, I think). Now all they need is LeVar Burton and they’ll have the Star Trek actor-director trifecta!

7. Brian says:

Love the news, hate that a Thor character won’t be involved.

• Alan says:

considering they have made a big deal about the avengers being in the dark about coulsons revival im not surprised. if anything captain america should be the first to see coulson given how he is now an agent of shield himself and coulson is a massive fanboy for him.

8. yasmin says:

The beast of Jotunheim, maybe?

9. aec127 says:

Saw Thor 2 last night… just found out that it was released here in the Philippines a week early

10. Trenton says:

I dislike peopole hating on this show…it is just getting it’s sea legs. If it lacks anything, its not having an identified villain who get’s equal screen time. This show is kind of thus far a procedural serial hybrid. But they need to cast a proper villain to give the storytelling some balance. Someone to root against.

11. Where are all those “so-called” Whedon fans? Really don’t understand why people claim to be Whedon fans but don’t even give the show a decent chance! C’mon people, which tv show is great from it’s very first episode, only a handful. Give him a chance to mould SHIELD into something great!

• Len says:

They are already all watching the show. About 7 million would be about the right number of due hard Wheaton fans based on past ratings of his various tv shows.

• C. says:

How long does it take to give a show a decent chance? We’re five episodes in now and it’s still terrible… Most TV Shows aren’t great from the very first episodes but most of them have at leat give their public a taste of their potentiel by the fifth episode. If this is what S.H.I.E.L.D’s potential looks like, I’ll pass.

• Brooke says:

I dunno, The Vampire Diaries is universally acknowledged to have had a crappy first 6 episodes, and then it took off and has never slowed down years later. Buffy season 1 doesn’t even hold a candle to the worst episodes of its later seasons. Star Trek TNG’s first season was like treading water compared to its later years. Sometimes this stuff just takes time. I wish writers could make it all gel immediately every single time, but it makes sense to me that it takes time and trial-and-error to find a voice and the thing that Works.

• Jake says:

Vampire Diaries first 6 episodes were basically “Twilight” with a better cast and better characters. Once it started going deeper into its mythology and slightly away from the “twilight-isms” it got exponentially better in my honest opinion.

• Alan says:

star trek the next generation had a disaster of a first season, it didnt start to improve until the middle of the second, stargate sg1 was awful for its first season too, arrow was universally hated until the second half of its first season now everyone loves it, fringe was terribly boring at first but it grew to be loved, the wire took half of its first season before anything really started happening and that went on to become one of the shows which is consistently considered to be one of the best ever made. i personally dont give up on a show until ive seen half of its first season and ive seen no clear improvement from it, so far in my opinion every episode of shield has been better than the last and its well on its way to sorting out the few minor problems that are being blown way out of proportion because people are unhappy that it wasnt perfect straight away.

• C. says:

I don’t think those unhappy with the show are waiting for it to be perfect… at least I’m not. In this case, what you think of as only “minor problems”, mainly bland characters and generic plots, are just preventing me from watching a whole episode without being completely bored and uninterested. This show had the chance of benefitting from a whole universe already created and well loved, it was legitimate not to expect something without any real identity. I’m not saying it’s wrong to like the show, but that “But it’s Whedon!” is certainly not enough to keep me watching.

• Annemijk says:

Whedon fan here, I started watching the show mainly because of Whedon and will probably never stop watching it because I really like Whedon BUT it doesn’t have the Whedon feel yet. I regonize that both Buffy and Dollhouse got better troughout their first season and better after that so I will keep watching. But the show does have a very diffrent feel than the other Whedon shows (but that could possile be because of the tv-rules of today, having very pretty people with pretty hair and clothes and not to deep or dark)

12. shuayb says:

You Americans are way to picky! A show must be exactly how you want it to be or you’ll be done with it. Shield is fantastic, I don’t find one thing wrong with it. It has ALL the elements of a Marvel movie we’ve come to love so it just baffles me why people hate the show. I dunno. Marvel nd ABC shouldn’t try. You’ll watch walking dead, homeland, the kartrashians etc…. Whatever the moderators will probably delete this comment…

• Alan says:

its not americans thats the problem its comic book fans, as a group we are way too picky, just look at the reaction iron man 3 got and you can see how ridiculously petulant we can be when things were exactly how we expected it to be down to the number of extras in a scene.

13. Anne says:

My guess is we will get a Loki end tag for the episode.

14. Roger says:

Loving S.H.I.E.L.D. and this makes me extra happy.

15. joey says:

happy about this news! I can’t wait to see the episode!

16. Drew says:

The problem with this series is that all of the characters are morons. They bring a cyber-terrorist onto their team, knowing full well that she is still associated with the terrorist group that they plucked her from, and then they all act shocked and mystified when this woman turns out to be… a cyber-terrorist on their team! Dun-dun-dunnnnn!

Seriously, it was lame. The characters are insanely stupid and annoying. They’re all so cutesy that it’s impossible to take them seriously as a team of elite agents of a (formerly) top secret, high level spy agency. These people should be hardcore badasses, but they’re all like middle school kids who got the keys to daddy’s spy plane. Each episode would be five minutes long if only they had somewhat competent agents… not that I’m surprised since the SHIELD agents in the background of The Avengers played retro video games and then ran around the room like unarmed, helpless Three Stooges characters when their silly hovering base was attacked.

The show is like a bad comic book, dipped in artificial sweetener and glitter. And don’t give me this “give it time!” crap. I gave it time. The first season of “Buffy” wasn’t its best, but I could see potential in the FIRST SCENE of the series (the “helpless blond girl” breaks into the school with the bad boy who we all assume is the vampire and then turns the tables… it summed up the theme of the series perfectly). “Firefly” didn’t need five episodes. “Angel” had a deceptively good first episode, leading into a horrible series.
    Whedon shows aside, it is a complete myth that you need to give a show five episodes to get good. If they don’t know how to make you want to watch a show within five episodes, that means that they have no idea what this show is supposed to be. In which case, why are they making it? Seriously… who makes a TV series with no idea what that show is supposed to be?
    This whole “you have to give it three and a half seasons to really get good!” line is something that bad TV writers made up and somehow convinced countless viewers to believe. When was the last time a movie needed five hours to hook you?

I’ll be the first to admit it if this show ever gets better, but given the actors, the characters, the setup, the writing thus far and the general look of the show, it’s a really long shot. They’d need to revamp the whole thing.

• Walloftextguy says:

I agree will all you said… except about angel which have a bad first season and gets better with season 5 probably better than any Buffy season.

The “bad first season” syndrom is a frequent problem for new series. You have to set a ton, establish characters and a believable world, find a plot fitting in a single season (because you don’t know if you’re gonna have more) and, more importantly, get an audience.

This wasn’t a problem 20 years ago, with shows like Star Trek TNG, because producers were more patient and viewers had less choice on TV. TNG had time to adapt and transform the show in something really enjoyable but now we have tons of new TV shows each year and they are hit or miss. Look at Game of Thrones, it’s safe to say the first season is well above all the others.

But what about Shield ? They already had:
      > A entire world established by movies and comics
      > Workable characters like Coulson
      > A large audience, fans of Avengers or Whedon (and I am one of them)

But in my point of view it’s a failure because:
      > Bad concept: A show about humans amongst superheroes is a nice idea (and the pilot, maede by Whedon, was leaning to that) but we follow shield’s agent, not exactly your regular human, but acting like teens in a field trip while doing superspy stuff… it’s not a good mix. They should have show humans having troubles to keep up with superheroes, not humans-not-super-but-a-bit-but-not-really doing stuff we really don’t care about

> Bad characters. The “same-face” and “everyone’s pretty and nice” syndrom is strong in this show. And that’s getting in the way of acting. It’s very ahrd to relate to any of this characters and even to care about them. They are not believable at all (like Skye) or just really not interesting (like James Bond-like guy). Why make a show about a group when you don’t care for any of them ?

> Completly ignoring the background. This show could be set in a normal world, in Fringe world, in any other world but Marvel. Except random jokes about superheroes every once in a while, what makes Marvel: Agents of Shield being in the Marvel Universe except the name ? You really don’t get the feeling the story is taking place in a superhero world, so what’s the point ?

> Trying too hard, too soon. The show is trying to get deep and get some feels from the audience while characters are barely established and we really don’t care about them. It’s extremely boring to see Skye struggeling with her loyalty when you’ve seen so little about her and all you can remember is that she lived in her car while having perfect hair and perfect clothes. How are you supposed to care about her ? This show is filled with stuff like that. Same stuff with Coulson, we get something happened but are we really supposed to be concern about a character that’s if “off” on purpose since the beginning ? Ok he was in the movies but he was always a side character.

There’s many things wrong with this show and at this point, I really don’t see how they could correct any of them. The main characters are boring to the point I struggle finishing episodes, this is not something you can change, even with several seasons.

I’m just hoping for this show to be cancelled and replaced by something else.

• Drew says:

I’m probably an ex-Whedon fan at this point. I was a huge Buffy fan and I loved Firefly. But I haven’t really liked any of his work since Firefly went off the air (including the last season of Buffy which was a steaming mess).
        My problem with “Angel” was that before the show premiered, we were promised a more adult series set in the “Buffy” universe. It was supposed to be a dark, noirish series about this reformed vampire struggling to make amends for all of the pain and suffering that he caused. It was supposed to go into the dark little corners of a city like LA, exploring the evils that lurk there. And each of the characters were designed to grant the show access into specific corners… Cordelia has her toe in the entertainment industry, Wesley was in with the higher class museum type people, and later you had Gunn who was a street kid, Kate the cop and Fred (the woman who gets over severe psychological trauma overnight) could have been an in with the academic world.

Except, the series didn’t follow through. Before the pilot was aired, the WB had them retool the series to make it less dark and mature. Right there, the point of the series is pretty much gone. But by season 2, they did away with the client of the week and pretty much had the main characters locked in the hotel every week. The concept of Angel making amends was gone. And the series just got more absurd with each passing week, with green karaoke-singing demons and Pylea… I really didn’t like the show by the time season 2 came around.

And a lot of those problems are still following Whedon. The “cute” gags like the karaoke demon really don’t belong on a series that is supposed to be dark. Just like cutesy, bubbly characters don’t belong on a spy series. Seriously, Fitz and Simmons wouldn’t even work on “Chuck” and that was a spy spoof. Not to mention Skye or whats-his-name.

Coulson doesn’t come across as a capable leader for the team, and I fully agree with you about not really caring what happened to him. The mystery doesn’t have me on the edge of my seat at all. I know that they brought him back because they wanted him in the series. If they wanted to explain it, they should have done that in the first episode. Otherwise, bringing it up every week just reminds me of a really lame element of the series. They killed him and then took it back… and they should just shut up about it already.

I tend to go on about the problems I have with Whedon shows (obviously). I think it’s because I know how truly awesome his work can be, but for some reason he’s chosen to forgo character and depth in favor of flash and pop these days. It is a shame.

17. jejehi says:

Show needs better characters not more tie-ins.

18. Charlotte says:

Well, I’ll still be tuning in to see what they do now they have a full season order. It *is* getting better and growing on me I have to say.

19. Rachel says:

I’m actually liking the show (mostly), although I agree it’s still getting its legs. I’m kind of annoyed though that now I have to go spend $25 to see a movie I was going to wait for the DVD for. The first Thor was barely worth the DVD cost (which may have been like $1 from the library), I don’t have huge expectations for the second. Now, if we had been talking Captain America 2 or the next Avengers movie, I might feel differently.

I’m just annoyed. I don’t see movies that quickly.

20. Farley Ong says:

I’ve read other news that Dr. Erik Selvig character is going to be in that episode. And I think based on what I’ve seen in the movie…

SPOILER
    As I’ve already seen in the post-post-credit scene, I think that the agents will deal with that monster from the Bifrost that got sucked through the portal and into London and was thrashing some warehouse or it could be that the Aether has infected someone from the team or it could be that one member gets sucked into that portal and Selvig will be there to help the team but I highly doubt it coz the Convergence was already gone when the movie was done or so I think.
    SPOILER

21. lariet50 says:

If only they could manage to get Tom Hiddleston in it. Sigh.

22. Babygate says:

Well, let’s see if his stunts does anything to mitigate the very underwhelming execution of this version of the Marvel universe. The show has been steadily dropping in the ratings as a result of the bad writing, bad casting and bad storytelling. Maybe this will turn it around.

• Jake says:

somehow I doubt it. So far the only major revelation thats been gleaned by this show is that Coulson is alive and they stuck him with possibly less than second tier S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. The stories (at least for me) have been only marginally interesting. I might be dropping it and sticking just with the movies to be honest.

23. Supes says:

I gave up on this show after the 3rd episode…something is missing in SHIELD and it’s a shame it had so much potential, it still does I’m sure. Maybe I’ll give it a chance next year when it’s on netflix but short of THOR coming to the show I’m not tuning in anymore at the moment. Took it off my DVR as well.

Now Sleepy Hollow has been a nice fun suprise of a show, been enjoying that and very much looking forward to Almost Human (I’m hoping it’s good but then I had the same hope for Agents of SHIELD).

24. Mike says:

Show is horrible and Im the biggest geek here. A good show, like Breading Bad or Game If Thrones doesn’t need to get their “sea legs” in order first. If its good it hits the ground running.
    Some fan boys will hang on to anything.

25. MorlUK says:

whats wrong with you people!!! its a good show, granted the first couple of episodes were slow but now we are getting to see a bit of depth with the charecters like with fitz/simmons last week. I was rooting for gemma to find the anti-body. and all the tie ins and references are interesting. Its not too serious! stop moaning and enjoy the fact that there is a marvel TV show. a dude with fire was on it for crying out loud!!