CBS Prepping How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off

How I Met Your MotherMeeting the mother? Done that. Now, CBS is looking to the future with a How I Met Your Mother spin-off that focuses on a father.

CBS is talking with 20th Century Fox TV about a possible offshoot of the popular comedy, which will end this season. According to our sister site Deadline, the spin-off concept follows a new group of friends, including a young woman who’s relating the story of how she fell in love with her children’s dad.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Welcomes Back James Van Der Beek as Robin’s Ex-Boyfriend

HIMYM co-creators/executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would write and executive produce the project, tentatively called How I Met Your Father, with Up All Night creator/EP Emily Spivey.

The new show’s central characters could be introduced in the HIMYM series finale; there’s also buzz that McLaren’s Pub may be featured in the potential comedy.

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Music From HIMYMSuits, New GirlSleepy Hollow and Other Shows

When asked at Comic-Con about the possibility of such a project, Thomas joked, “I don’t want to confirm or deny. You never know. There’s CSI: Miami. Maybe it’s How I Met Your Father: Miami.”

Would you watch a HIMYM spin-off? Sound off in the comments!

1. Boiler says:

If this would have Lily and Ted in it I’d watch.

2. Gabriel Anthony says:

Next spin off: E.R (How the hospital was built)

3. Doesn’t spin off imply that there will be a character from the original show?

• Mary says:

A lot of the times, yes, but not always. Sometimes it’s just a character that appears in one or two episodes before moving into their own series. Think George Jefferson was only on All In The Family for a few episodes before The Jeffersons. And Xena appeared on Hercules for three episodes before they had her spin off.

• Bob says:

Actually it was more like Bea Arthur, who was only on 2 episodes before going off to ‘Maude’. The Jeffersons were on from the beginning of the show in 1971, with the three Jefferson characters appearing for varying numbers of episodes (33-Lionel, 26-Louise, 15-George).

• Esaul says:

Nope. Look at NCIS: LA a spin off from NCIS which in turn is a byproduct of JAG, SVU from the Mothership, etc. It’s just related to the show’s world.

• Kendall says:

Carl!

4. Greg says:

first…. to say this is a bad idea.

5. Joe says:

Maybe it’ll be from The Mother’s POV, and her lead up to meeting Ted?

• DL says:

This would be a way better idea than what they’re proposing. I would watch it.
      No interest in watching ANOTHER series where they draw out the spouse’s reveal forever. It would be nice just to see her side of the story, already knowing that Ted is the “father.”

• Mike R. says:

I’m hoping if they have to make a spin off, they change there plan and go with this, but I think it is unlikely considering the 200th episode is called “How i met your father”, and thats when they’ll tell that story

• cc says:

I like this idea, too, especially if they sprinkle in the other characters like Rachel Bilson’s to keep the continuity.

• Now this is an idea that I can get behind.

• jerrired says:

Yeah I was really hoping they’d do a series from the mother’s POV, especially with the way this season is going. We’ll learn very little about her.

6. DavidSask says:

No way in hell this is wanted, kill this idea asap!

7. James R. says:

No thank you… Cast of this show is what makes the show so great.

8. Kevin says:

what is with all these spinoffs these days? Are there no more fresh ideas?

9. ambie719 says:

I love HIMYM, but No, do not do this!

10. Josh says:

Hmm, not sure if I can go through this again. And considering how HIMYM views female characters, I can’t really imagine how this would go. I especially don’t like how they want to introduce her in the series finale, an episode that should just focus on the main characters and end with them. I guess if it’s Lyndsy Fonseca that would work, since they can go with going, “And that’s how your grandfather meet your grandfather, now the story about how your father met, well that’s even crazier.” To me that’s the best way to do it, as it’s continuing Ted’s story in a way…through his daughter.

Only spin-off I’ll watch.

11. Dave Rudd says:

Brilliant idea! Allows for the same great concept to continue and evolve with a completely different mix of characters. The only question that remains is, how will they top the slap countdown?

12. Esaul says:

I would like to see this depending on the cast, naturally.

13. Playhouse says:

I’d have no problem with this if they make it distinctly different kind of show. If it’s going to be the exact same tone, style, and format with just different characters, I don’t think it would be interesting nor last very long.

14. Yes, I would love it! It would be best if it was from The Mother’s POV on this show, different characters might work, but I think fans would like it better if it related back to the characters we already know and love. They could even use the same kids, just make her tell the story from 2060 or something, :)

15. Mary says:

I’m not sure about this. While it’s been interesting watching Ted go through his journey, Barney has been my favorite character not Ted. Basically meaning I don’t always enjoy stories that I already know the ending to.

16. wjrxyz says:

A spinoff featuring the kids 20 years after the scene on the couch called How your grandfather Died.

17. Rachel says:

HIMYM is my all-time favorite TV show, but this spin-off sounds like a horrible idea. I hope it doesn’t end up happening.

18. TL says:

Spin-off is the TV version of Baby Bump…both phrases that need to disappear from our vernacular.

• NJMark says:

Agree in part. “Baby bump” is just annoying. Spin-off has simply become meaningless, as it is used to refer to both a regular member of the supporting cast being put into a new show (Jeffersons, Good Times), and a single appearance leading to a separate show (Mork & Mindy).

19. Annie-Claude says:

Unless it’s either The Mother’s POV or like someone said centered on Lyndsy Fonseca’s character, I’m really not sure about this. It’d just seem like a way to make more money out of an idea that’s already been made and worked.

20. RaineriRRC says:

ain’t nobody got patience for that!

21. Tee says:

No. No. No.

22. Heather says:

This explains why they are dragging out our getting a cha nce to know the mother. Yeah we met her, but we are s everal episodes in and we still haven’t gotten to where they actually meet, a moment they have been showing for a year.I was wondering if they were setting it up to do some sort of spin off .

23. Heather says:

I feel like we aren’t actually going to see them meet until the season is over half way over and then we won’t be able tosee a lot of the moments that have been shown as hints over the series. I think it would be an interesting idea for a show, but afraid it will be way too similar

24. This is one of the most ridiculous ideas I’ve heard in a while; it wouldn’t be that bad of an idea if they only aired it for a few seasons, but if it’s anywhere near as long as HIMYM run, it’d be a waste of time and money

25. madhatter360 says:

My biggest issue with HIMYM is that there was no assured end date, so the writers have to keep changing who the mother is and coming up with ways to make the story fit. I think if CBS picked up the series as a miniseries or set a maximum number of episodes in advance it could work.

26. Viktor says:

Am I the only one thinking “That 80s Show”?

27. Allison says:

So not really a spin-off but just extremely derivative?

28. Laura B says:

Nope! Just no, we are fine! Thank you, we will pass

29. ozi says:

now i married your mother should be the spin off. and have the kids and the who family and gang. having the kids tell their story is not a spin off. its regorgitating

30. Skyfan says:

Aw, shucks! Why this isn’t so original… there was a show called, hmm, FREINDS, that had the same premise and that lasted only a few years! Oh; ten, you say? And this “original” only nine?

If a show has good characters, interesting situations, is well acted, and has excellent writers, there’s no reason a “spinoff” can’t continue the HIMYM saga, branch off from it, or go in a completely different direction. I’m curious what they come up with.

• c-mo says:

Friends and HIMYM are nothing alike other than they were both set in NY and filmed in LA. Don’t you remember the Friend’s spin-off, Joey, was a miserable failure even with mostly the same writers? All this new show sounds like is a completely different group of youngsters, with a female lead instead of a male lead, where her primary goal in life is to find a husband. No, thank you. I’ve watched almost 9 full seasons of HIMYM and I’m done with the premise after it ends in May.

31. Just sayin says:

No! Kill it. Kill it with fire!!

32. Williwasnt says:

I’d rather a spinoff where rookie Judge Marshall’s goofy behavior results in him getting transferred to a courthouse in his hometown. There he and Lily try to adjust to living within walking distance of his mother and brothers, while he struggles to fit in with his new coworkers and be involved in his son’s life. OR maybe a spinoff focusing on Ranjit, with each episode taking place in whatever he driving (limo, taxi) and his interactions with whomever enters his car. Kind of like a scripted Taxicab Confessions without the cursing and explicit sex talk.

33. erin says:

Nnnnnope. Would not watch this.

34. I’m not sure about this. Reading it first, it sounds a great idea, however HIMYM has lasted 9 seasons with a loyal fanbase – only finding out who the mother was in the S8 finale. I’m not sure people would liken to the new characters without comparing them to Ted & co. It definitely has potential, I’d just be worried about it tarnishing the original. Tough call.

35. My question would be, which former child star from the early 90’s would star on the show as the sidekick the same way that NPH did on the original? I assume it would be a female sidekick.

36. Rebecca says:

been there done that

37. No. Enough already with the spin-offs.

38. Fernanda says:

put other characters to tie up with another show, great, but don’t steal the thunder of HIMYM legacy to other sort of spin off. We had another friends type show called Happy Endings. But how about if they use another HIMYM characters as the other people who dated Ted, Barney and Robin as Victoria, Don Frank, Nora, James (Barney’s brother), Nick, Kevin and Quinn. And we could see the other POV of the recurring cast on the main events of the show. TAKE MY IDEA!!!

39. Mike R. says:

I don’t know, I love HIMYM and I am sad to see it go, but I was open to spin off, but more something like How I met your father, but from the Mother’s POV, because Cristin Milioti in the few scenes she’s been in has been great, but a whole new group of friends, why even call it a spin off if the only connection is the same story but gender swapped. Hopefully if they actually end up going through with this, they make some changes. If they really are going to go with all new characters, there going to have to rely on more than just spin off status, because besides McCalrens nothing relates to the base show, thus you’ll have to make it excellent to get people to continue to tune in.

40. Quinn Mallory says:

This could work.

41. ben says:

I understand why some may not want this but I think its worth a shot. It would need to set its own tone of humour which felt linked but also felt like it belonged organically to a different set of people.

42. cuius says:

Given that HIMYM is in “scrapping the barrel” mode this season, I don’t think this is a good idea

43. Tony says:

If they get Ralph Macchio to play a Barney-like character, I’m in.

44. rowan77 says:

Good lord, talk about beating a dead horse. This season of the show is awful and mostly boring. Now they want to do something derivative from it? How about trying something new, instead?

45. JT says:

I was thinking just today as CBS is not like with his new comedies perhaps the will have to look an spin off of HYMYM, I after that I read this hehe. A lot of spin off does not work, mostly when the main serie finish. I only remember Fraser Works. I think it only Works as happened with Fraser if some of the main characters remain. A new group of friends I think will not work.