CBS Prepping How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off

Get More: News

How I Met Your MotherMeeting the mother? Done that. Now, CBS is looking to the future with a How I Met Your Mother spin-off that focuses on a father.

CBS is talking with 20th Century Fox TV about a possible offshoot of the popular comedy, which will end this season. According to our sister site Deadline, the spin-off concept follows a new group of friends, including a young woman who’s relating the story of how she fell in love with her children’s dad.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Welcomes Back James Van Der Beek as Robin’s Ex-Boyfriend

HIMYM co-creators/executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would write and executive produce the project, tentatively called How I Met Your Father, with Up All Night creator/EP Emily Spivey.

The new show’s central characters could be introduced in the HIMYM series finale; there’s also buzz that McLaren’s Pub may be featured in the potential comedy.

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Music From HIMYMSuits, New GirlSleepy Hollow and Other Shows

When asked at Comic-Con about the possibility of such a project, Thomas joked, “I don’t want to confirm or deny. You never know. There’s CSI: Miami. Maybe it’s How I Met Your Father: Miami.”

Would you watch a HIMYM spin-off? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (109)

• If this would have Lily and Ted in it I’d watch.

Comment by Boiler – October 30, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really Ted? How about Lily and Marshall?

Comment by cas – October 31, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope. In the future Ted kills Marshall. Skins him. Then wears a Marshal skin suit around Lily and since she is pure evil anyway. They live happily ever after. Lily is the Real Mother.

Comment by Eurisko – October 31, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next spin off: E.R (How the hospital was built)

Comment by Gabriel Anthony – October 30, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t spin off imply that there will be a character from the original show?

Comment by Céline (@DarkPassenger85) – October 30, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A lot of the times, yes, but not always. Sometimes it’s just a character that appears in one or two episodes before moving into their own series. Think George Jefferson was only on All In The Family for a few episodes before The Jeffersons. And Xena appeared on Hercules for three episodes before they had her spin off.

Comment by Mary – October 30, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it was more like Bea Arthur, who was only on 2 episodes before going off to ‘Maude’. The Jeffersons were on from the beginning of the show in 1971, with the three Jefferson characters appearing for varying numbers of episodes (33-Lionel, 26-Louise, 15-George).

Comment by Bob – October 31, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. Look at NCIS: LA a spin off from NCIS which in turn is a byproduct of JAG, SVU from the Mothership, etc. It’s just related to the show’s world.

Comment by Esaul – October 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carl!

Comment by Kendall – October 30, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sabi – October 30, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that NO.

Comment by Princess Adora – October 30, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • worse idea ever. I third the No.

Comment by Eurisko – October 30, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I fourth that NO and add a prefixed “Hell”.

Comment by Tone LG – October 31, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • first…. to say this is a bad idea.

Comment by Greg – October 30, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’ll be from The Mother’s POV, and her lead up to meeting Ted?

Comment by Joe – October 30, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be a way better idea than what they’re proposing. I would watch it.
      No interest in watching ANOTHER series where they draw out the spouse’s reveal forever. It would be nice just to see her side of the story, already knowing that Ted is the “father.”

Comment by DL – October 30, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m hoping if they have to make a spin off, they change there plan and go with this, but I think it is unlikely considering the 200th episode is called “How i met your father”, and thats when they’ll tell that story

Comment by Mike R. – October 30, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like this idea, too, especially if they sprinkle in the other characters like Rachel Bilson’s to keep the continuity.

Comment by cc – October 31, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now this is an idea that I can get behind.

Comment by writingmyownway – October 30, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I was really hoping they’d do a series from the mother’s POV, especially with the way this season is going. We’ll learn very little about her.

Comment by jerrired – October 30, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way in hell this is wanted, kill this idea asap!

Comment by DavidSask – October 30, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m ok with this.

Comment by Tom Charles – October 30, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No thank you… Cast of this show is what makes the show so great.

Comment by James R. – October 30, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is with all these spinoffs these days? Are there no more fresh ideas?

Comment by Kevin – October 30, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well network TV has been around for about 80 years, it was going to run up eventually.

Comment by Cesar88 – October 30, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Happy Days had FIVE spin offs! its nothing new!

Comment by Jackie H. – October 31, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But only 2 were successful.

Comment by NJMark – November 1, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love HIMYM, but No, do not do this!

Comment by ambie719 – October 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pass.

Comment by Mary – October 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, not sure if I can go through this again. And considering how HIMYM views female characters, I can’t really imagine how this would go. I especially don’t like how they want to introduce her in the series finale, an episode that should just focus on the main characters and end with them. I guess if it’s Lyndsy Fonseca that would work, since they can go with going, “And that’s how your grandfather meet your grandfather, now the story about how your father met, well that’s even crazier.” To me that’s the best way to do it, as it’s continuing Ted’s story in a way…through his daughter.

Only spin-off I’ll watch.

Comment by Josh – October 30, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, that’s brilliant. I’d totally watch it if it centered around Lyndsy Fonesca. She’s great, and it sorta keeps it in the family. Plus, cameos would be that much easier.

Comment by Christina – October 30, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree.

Comment by neha – October 30, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like this could either be ridiculously amazing or the next “Joey”. I wish they would just stick to new people, new locations, and new “bits” completely.

Comment by neha – October 30, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, that would be the only way I’d watch it. And Lyndsy will be done with Nikita this year…

Comment by Emily – October 30, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately :(…RIP Nikita <3.

Comment by Josh – October 30, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually love this idea.

Comment by Teag – October 30, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh snap, that’s a great idea. Props!

Comment by DL – October 30, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is brilliant! I’d take more Lyndsy on my screen any day, and it would actually relate to HIMYM’s cast.

Comment by kavyn – October 30, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And with Nikita ending, she’s available now!

Comment by kaleb – October 30, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So it’s set in, what, 2040?

Comment by ben – October 30, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t that be sort of a difficult show to pull off? What with it being set 30 years in the future?

Comment by Elm – October 31, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Several other shows are pulling out future sets, and that would at least totally set it apart from this HIMYM. It’d be tough, but has the potential to be great.

Comment by Christina – October 31, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah that’s the only problem. The fact that it’s in the future. But it would make it more than just “HIMYM from a woman’s perspective”, it would make it unique and give them freedom to be more creative.

Comment by Josh – October 31, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant idea! Allows for the same great concept to continue and evolve with a completely different mix of characters. The only question that remains is, how will they top the slap countdown?

Comment by Dave Rudd – October 30, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see this depending on the cast, naturally.

Comment by Esaul – October 30, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d have no problem with this if they make it distinctly different kind of show. If it’s going to be the exact same tone, style, and format with just different characters, I don’t think it would be interesting nor last very long.

Comment by Playhouse – October 30, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I would love it! It would be best if it was from The Mother’s POV on this show, different characters might work, but I think fans would like it better if it related back to the characters we already know and love. They could even use the same kids, just make her tell the story from 2060 or something, :)

Comment by Jessie! (@Jess11871) – October 30, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure about this. While it’s been interesting watching Ted go through his journey, Barney has been my favorite character not Ted. Basically meaning I don’t always enjoy stories that I already know the ending to.

Comment by Mary – October 30, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A spinoff featuring the kids 20 years after the scene on the couch called How your grandfather Died.

Comment by wjrxyz – October 30, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM is my all-time favorite TV show, but this spin-off sounds like a horrible idea. I hope it doesn’t end up happening.

Comment by Rachel – October 30, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Just . . . no.

Comment by Rob Jensen – October 30, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spin-off is the TV version of Baby Bump…both phrases that need to disappear from our vernacular.

Comment by TL – October 30, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree in part. “Baby bump” is just annoying. Spin-off has simply become meaningless, as it is used to refer to both a regular member of the supporting cast being put into a new show (Jeffersons, Good Times), and a single appearance leading to a separate show (Mork & Mindy).

Comment by NJMark – November 1, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess technically the Mork & Mindy case is more of a back-door pilot vs. a spin-off

Comment by Jackie H – November 1, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless it’s either The Mother’s POV or like someone said centered on Lyndsy Fonseca’s character, I’m really not sure about this. It’d just seem like a way to make more money out of an idea that’s already been made and worked.

Comment by Annie-Claude – October 30, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ain’t nobody got patience for that!

Comment by RaineriRRC – October 30, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. No. No.

Comment by Tee – October 30, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This explains why they are dragging out our getting a cha nce to know the mother. Yeah we met her, but we are s everal episodes in and we still haven’t gotten to where they actually meet, a moment they have been showing for a year.I was wondering if they were setting it up to do some sort of spin off .

Comment by Heather – October 30, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like we aren’t actually going to see them meet until the season is over half way over and then we won’t be able tosee a lot of the moments that have been shown as hints over the series. I think it would be an interesting idea for a show, but afraid it will be way too similar

Comment by Heather – October 30, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one of the most ridiculous ideas I’ve heard in a while; it wouldn’t be that bad of an idea if they only aired it for a few seasons, but if it’s anywhere near as long as HIMYM run, it’d be a waste of time and money

Comment by Tatiana Dean Given – October 30, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Babybop – October 30, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My biggest issue with HIMYM is that there was no assured end date, so the writers have to keep changing who the mother is and coming up with ways to make the story fit. I think if CBS picked up the series as a miniseries or set a maximum number of episodes in advance it could work.

Comment by madhatter360 – October 30, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one thinking “That 80s Show”?

Comment by Viktor – October 30, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. You’re not.
      And BTW, EPIC FAIL!

Comment by Jj – October 31, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So not really a spin-off but just extremely derivative?

Comment by Allison – October 30, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope! Just no, we are fine! Thank you, we will pass

Comment by Laura B – October 30, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now i married your mother should be the spin off. and have the kids and the who family and gang. having the kids tell their story is not a spin off. its regorgitating

Comment by ozi – October 30, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, shucks! Why this isn’t so original… there was a show called, hmm, FREINDS, that had the same premise and that lasted only a few years! Oh; ten, you say? And this “original” only nine?

If a show has good characters, interesting situations, is well acted, and has excellent writers, there’s no reason a “spinoff” can’t continue the HIMYM saga, branch off from it, or go in a completely different direction. I’m curious what they come up with.

Comment by Skyfan – October 30, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Friends and HIMYM are nothing alike other than they were both set in NY and filmed in LA. Don’t you remember the Friend’s spin-off, Joey, was a miserable failure even with mostly the same writers? All this new show sounds like is a completely different group of youngsters, with a female lead instead of a male lead, where her primary goal in life is to find a husband. No, thank you. I’ve watched almost 9 full seasons of HIMYM and I’m done with the premise after it ends in May.

Comment by c-mo – October 30, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! Kill it. Kill it with fire!!

Comment by Just sayin – October 30, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather a spinoff where rookie Judge Marshall’s goofy behavior results in him getting transferred to a courthouse in his hometown. There he and Lily try to adjust to living within walking distance of his mother and brothers, while he struggles to fit in with his new coworkers and be involved in his son’s life. OR maybe a spinoff focusing on Ranjit, with each episode taking place in whatever he driving (limo, taxi) and his interactions with whomever enters his car. Kind of like a scripted Taxicab Confessions without the cursing and explicit sex talk.

Comment by Williwasnt – October 30, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great ideas! You should seriously take these to Hollywood. All things considered, no, don’t; they wouldn’t recognise a good idea if it hit them on the head.

Comment by Lisa London – October 31, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NY jurisdiction doesn’t extend to assigning judges to Minnesota.

Comment by NJMark – November 1, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nnnnnope. Would not watch this.

Comment by erin – October 30, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure about this. Reading it first, it sounds a great idea, however HIMYM has lasted 9 seasons with a loyal fanbase – only finding out who the mother was in the S8 finale. I’m not sure people would liken to the new characters without comparing them to Ted & co. It definitely has potential, I’d just be worried about it tarnishing the original. Tough call.

Comment by allthingsentertainment94 – October 30, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My question would be, which former child star from the early 90′s would star on the show as the sidekick the same way that NPH did on the original? I assume it would be a female sidekick.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 30, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about Soleil Moon Frye? Or that girl who played Rudy in The Cosby Show?

Comment by JON – October 30, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • been there done that

Comment by Rebecca – October 30, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Enough already with the spin-offs.

Comment by Hugo (@BlueHuMac) – October 30, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • put other characters to tie up with another show, great, but don’t steal the thunder of HIMYM legacy to other sort of spin off. We had another friends type show called Happy Endings. But how about if they use another HIMYM characters as the other people who dated Ted, Barney and Robin as Victoria, Don Frank, Nora, James (Barney’s brother), Nick, Kevin and Quinn. And we could see the other POV of the recurring cast on the main events of the show. TAKE MY IDEA!!!

Comment by Fernanda – October 30, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know, I love HIMYM and I am sad to see it go, but I was open to spin off, but more something like How I met your father, but from the Mother’s POV, because Cristin Milioti in the few scenes she’s been in has been great, but a whole new group of friends, why even call it a spin off if the only connection is the same story but gender swapped. Hopefully if they actually end up going through with this, they make some changes. If they really are going to go with all new characters, there going to have to rely on more than just spin off status, because besides McCalrens nothing relates to the base show, thus you’ll have to make it excellent to get people to continue to tune in.

Comment by Mike R. – October 30, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could work.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – October 30, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand why some may not want this but I think its worth a shot. It would need to set its own tone of humour which felt linked but also felt like it belonged organically to a different set of people.

Comment by ben – October 30, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given that HIMYM is in “scrapping the barrel” mode this season, I don’t think this is a good idea

Comment by cuius – October 30, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they get Ralph Macchio to play a Barney-like character, I’m in.

Comment by Tony – October 30, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good lord, talk about beating a dead horse. This season of the show is awful and mostly boring. Now they want to do something derivative from it? How about trying something new, instead?

Comment by rowan77 – October 30, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking just today as CBS is not like with his new comedies perhaps the will have to look an spin off of HYMYM, I after that I read this hehe. A lot of spin off does not work, mostly when the main serie finish. I only remember Fraser Works. I think it only Works as happened with Fraser if some of the main characters remain. A new group of friends I think will not work.

Comment by JT – October 30, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post