The Walking Dead Renewed for Season 5, Scott Gimple to Return as Showrunner

RickWalkingDeadSeason4And the zombie apocalypse marches on: AMC has renewed The Walking Dead for a fifth season.

PHOTOS | Walking Dead: 10 Characters From the Comic We Want to Meet

Calling it “one of the most anti-climactic renewal announcements ever,” AMC president Charlie Collier enthused, “This is a show that has erased traditional distinctions between cable and broadcast. Its expanding base of passionate fans has grown every season, most recently — and most notably — with the Season 4 premiere earlier this month, which broke viewership records for the series and became the biggest non-sports telecast in cable history. On behalf of the incredible team on both sides of the camera, thank you to the fans and here’s to more Dead.”

RELATED | AMC Orders Walking Dead Spin-Off — Get Scoop on the Premise

TWD‘s Season 4 opener drew 20.2 million viewers (live+3) and 13.2 million adults 18-49, setting a new record for a non-sports cable telecast.

Scott Gimple will return as showrunner in Season 5.

1. D'Arcy says:

Question is: Who will be the showrunner?

All jokes aside, the ratings are massive, so of course this is not a surprise.

Aside from ratings, the plot has picked up a bit, it seems, this season. I’ll still keep watching as long as it keeps being entertaining. However, I still don’t really recommend this show to friends. It’s not quite there, and hasn’t been since that very first episode of season 1.

• D'Arcy says:

Dang I wrote the joke about the showrunner before the article was updated saying Gimple is remaining. Of course he would be, but my joke is kind of ruined now :(

• n8ball78 says:

Your joke wasn’t really good anyway. Its been said to death already. Hell people where making that joke the day he got the job.
        That said I agree this season has been pretty solid so far. Last week’s episode was kinda slow but I’m sure its leading somewhere good.

2. wrstlgirl says:

This show is outstanding, I’ve loved every episode with the exception of a couple Woodbury eps last season but that problem was solved much to my liking :-)

• Pati says:

I agree with you, the show is great. every time I read the comments here people are always complaining

• wrstlgirl says:

Yet they can’t turn away :-)

• Sierra1707 says:

It’s unfortunate that the producers can’t come up with a show tailored to each & every individual viewer. Surely, we all have time to watch 20+ million versions of The Walking Dead.

• you’re always going to find a lot more negative complaints on the Internet.it’s because along with everyday people, the negative people who didn’t use to interact with society as much, are now in the middle of everything online. There’s nothing that allows for comments that isn’t overflowing with negativity.

that plus, people aren’t as willing to whine to each other about everything face to face. they don’t have enough confidence to act better than everything in their real life. But that’s the way it always is and will always be.

think about it… Do you go around paying attention to the stuff you don’t like and then commenting on it. I doubt it. But you might complain about something when you think it makes you look different or better than somebody else.

3. Mac says:

If anything, Im surprised AMC hasnt announced a multi season renewal for the show. Because its clear now more then ever that TWD will be on the air for at least 5 more years. Likely more.

• Jace says:

Maybe they cant announce more than a season ahead due to contracts with the actors, granted most characters die, but Rick, Carl and Daryl are probably the only ones that are… not 100%, but maybe 99% safe.

• Peach says:

Carl and Rick are the only definite ones for a while.. and thats until Carl finishes puberty… then Rick would probably be sent to the farm.

• Jace says:

I dunno, Daryl’s popularity might force AMC to keep Reedus on, i don’t how accurate it is, but a lot of people ‘claim’ they’ll stop watching if Daryl dies.

• wrstlgirl says:

If Daryl died I wouldn’t stop watching but the show would suffer creatively. I can’t imagine it without him or Rick for that matter.

• Abby says:

@ wrstlgirl – Can you explain how it would suffer creatively? Because I think what you really mean to say is “It would suffer from not having Daryl, and that would upset me.”

• wrstlgirl says:

@Abby, sorry that didn’t quite come out right. Yes, I do believe the show would suffer greatly without Daryl’s character. He’s such a formidable piece of the foundation losing him would leave a huge hole. More so than any other character so far.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I don’t know that I would quit watching, but, if they kill Daryl, I think they’re effectively killing the show. Daryl is the picture of a survivor. If he doesn’t make it, it sort of sends the message — who can?

• Matthew says:

You think it’s bad, but he never even existed in the comic book (unless he’s been added in the last 5 or 6 issues) and that gets along just fine. Gets along even better, especially in terms of the Woodbury/Prison storyline.

• wrstlgirl says:

@Matthew ~ the fact that he doesn’t exist in the CB means nothing when talking about the show. It’s entirely possible that Daryl and Merle were created and considered to be expendable until Daryl’s popularity with the audience blew up. When that happened they made him a permanent piece of the canvas. And rightly so.

• Matthew says:

So? Lots of beloved characters die. He is definitely not a part of the show’s foundation though. It’s Rick and Carl’s story, and every single other character is expendable. Even Rick is, as someone pointed out above, in certain situations. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Darryl character, and would love to see Kirkman’s comic-book take on him. But I don’t think killing him off would hurt the show at all; it would free Reedus to make movies and explore his new popularity, while creating huge buzz for the show. A couple fanboys/fangirls might leave, but what’s a handful of viewers when you have 20 million of them? Heck, if I was on the production team, I’d be having serious talks about when and how to off him, especially now that the group has Tyreese. So yes, he is completely, 100% expendable in terms of the series, no matter how much you love him.

• wrstlgirl says:

I think you’re nuts to think that only a hand full of viewers would get upset and leave but everyone’s entitled to their opinion. That’s why we’re here. But they’ve got a lot of work to do to get people to like Tyresse enough to except the loss of Daryl. Not saying it could never happen. I, for one, don’t think we have to worry about it.

• Peach says:

I don’t care about the popularity of a character. I don’t care about many panties get moist thinking about Daryl Dixon but if you got a good enough storyline that would end with him being killed. BRING IT. I’d rather see a damn good story. I hate it when shows pander to entitled fans. It brings down the overall quality IMO. The entire point of the comics/show is that it can be anyone at anytime… because that’s the world they live in.. and consistently giving a character favoritism armor cheapens it for me. (seriously once carl is done with puberty… the timer on Rick starts) Characters die. It hurts because they’ve become a part of our lives. I’m just over the fans that throw hissy fits and then threaten the writers and the actors because of the death.

• FitzeesMrs says:

I’d turn it off forever before the next commercial if Daryl dies. Me and every other woman who watches. And I think the powers that be know that.

• chris says:

the walking dead will be on for over 15 years if you didn’t know. but the walking dead is going through some tough times.so just that you could go to the walking dead wiki.

4. boriqua1ny says:

what about Hell on Wheels? Need more Bohannon….

5. alistaircrane says:

More Carol and Daryl lovin’, please!!!! I ship them hardcore!

6. sarah says:

i think losing daryll would be a mistake, he is a great and very cool character. he is very popular and losing him would cause fangirls to riot, but losing him i think would be a mistake too. you cant kill of the fan fave.
    look at sons of anarchy opie’s death was horrific fans went mad and although ratings r okay people still complain over his death and i feel watching the show it has lost its heart and most endearing character..
    losing reedus would be a mistake.
    wouldnt be shocked it glen, maggie, beth ,and carol dont make it 2 next season tho.

• Diana says:

I just started watching TWD a few weeks ago. I am now completely caught up and current. Gotta love binge watching a show. I completely agree with you about Daryl. He is the heart of the show, in a ruff and rugged kind of way. Same with SOA. When they killed Opie they killed the morality and heart of that show. This season of SOA has been hard for me to watch. Opie really kept Jax grounded and seeing him as he is now leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The amount of love I have for Charlie Hunnam can’t help me like Jax this season.

• ricardo ud says:

en lo personal si no ,uere daryl quien tiene que moorir??????
      ablemos bien para empezar the walking dead es una serie en su mayoria de drama y los televidentes miran una seriepor el genero que les interesan por que yo no creo que solo la miren poor ver a unas cuantas balas matando muertos en vez de introducirte en la serie y para que se consolide aomo una serie de drama tengo bastantes ejemplos : lori, andrea , merle , hershel y posiblemente judith .
      la verdad es de que todo va acabar cuando haiga habido suficiente tristeza para que los directores digan de que es el fin y los que se quedaron en l a serie hasta las ultimas disfruten de una zzona totalmente segura ; esa es mi opinnion .
      si no muere daryl o otro personaje querido ahora cada capitulo nos vamos ir a amistano ma s con ellos y sera mas dura su perdida

7. Curt says:

nope, dont care. they give too many that they then take away so its almost impossible to get ‘into’ a character. and Rick … pffffft

8. Teag says:

I like Daryl but I’d be okay with him dying.

• joyce humphries says:

are you crazy daryl keeps the show real just like merle wasn’t happy about that but losing darly not good

9. Joey says:

Good news. Happy about the show getting a season 5.

10. Сериал КЛАСС! Ждать по пол года новый сезон, это мучительно!

11. page says:

DARYL will die in season 5 not looking forward to that

12. No Happy Ending says:

I just hope that when the show does end, it is because the producers/writers/directors have a plan. There is nothing worse than seeing a show go on and on once all the good plot twists and turns have been used up just because it still has enough ratings for advertisers to throw money at (*cough*Simpsons*cough).

I’d rather watch a well thought out series that comes to an end in 5 -7 seasons than one that drags on forever and you quit watching it because it has gotten so banal.

13. Katelyn says:

What happened to Judeth

14. Sarah says:

I am a girl, and I love Daryl but just because he does die I’m not gonna stop watching, I liked it way before he even showed up, plus I hope they keep the show running at least a few more years so I can show my kids what inspired me to have the personality that I have today. People die and there is nothing we can do about it, maybe kirkman is saying everyone we love is never safe for a reason. Like when Rick was talking to Carl in season 2 better angels “I’m going to die, your mom and there is no way you can ever be ready for that” so if Daryl dies I will be crying but I know there is more ahead and every true walking dead fan should feel that way!