Sons of Anarchy Recap: 'Grandma Is Dead'

SonsEp8Fallout from Tara’s whopper of an exit strategy officially begins in Tuesday’s Sons of Anarchy, with a heartbroken Jax ridding himself of Gemma (for good?), a sober Wendy plunging off the wagon and an unsettled Unser schooling SAMCRO’s selfish queens, both past and present.

Recovering from her “miscarriage,” Tara reiterates to Jax how important it is that he cut ties with Gemma — a prospect with which he’s fully on board. Unser, meanwhile, has questions and concerns aplenty for his cohort.

“I’m not upset about Gemma, doll,” he explains to Tara, who knows full well that he’s figured out her scheme. “I’m upset about you. It breaks my heart that you had to become something so wrong to do what you thought was right.” After opting to keep her secret, he bows out of any further assistance. Unser later attempts to come to Gemma’s rescue by explaining to Eli — who has his own doubts about Gemma’s guilt — that he should steer clear of any further SAMCRO drama, specifically of the family variety.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy‘s Theo Rossi on New, ‘Animalistic’ Juice: He’s ‘Gone to a Different Place’

During their ride home from Charming’s own clink, Unser reasons with Gemma, pleading with her to let this latest Tara incident go. “What drives you is bad history,” he insists. “It ain’t real, and it ain’t what’s best for these boys… You’ve got a lot of love in you, Gemma. Sweet, deep love. I’ve seen it.” Unfortunately, a defeated Unser adds, “It’s so wrapped around secrets and hate, I don’t know if you could find it anymore.”

Elsewhere, Tara’s tough exterior finally gives way after a visit with her attorney Ally Lowen, who for the first time questions her client’s actions. “You stop it,” she whisper-shouts at her tearful reflection in the mirror. And unfortunately the hits just keep on coming, this time when Tara questions Bobby about Jax’s ability to really, truly make the club a legitimate business.

“Don’t give up on him,” Bobby pleads with Jax’s increasingly withdrawn old lady. “Jax is someone who needs to be with someone, always been that guy. I don’t know if we’re gonna make it… But he ain’t got a chance without you.”

Jax also finds himself on the receiving end of a harsh reality check, when a desperate Wendy shows up at his home looking for Tara. He immediately (and angrily) rebuffs her, to which she responds sadly, “I’m tired of being hated.” Gemma, too, confronts Wendy about the ugly incident, but instead of taking her out, she offers up a deal: “Help me prove what [Tara] has done… I’ll make sure Jax doesn’t kill you.”

Wendy — who earlier in the episode purchased some heroin — seems receptive and asks Gemma to take the drugs with her, but the latter leaves them and challenges her to prove she can be a good mom. Alas, Wendy fails and gives in to the urge to shoot up.

When Jax finally runs into Gemma — for the first time since Tara lost her baby — it’s explosive. Despite her protests, Jax is resolute in his decision to eliminate his mom from his life.

RELATED | Walton Goggins on Venus’ Major Sons of Anarchy Comeback

“You’re a liar and you’re a sick, twisted bitch,” he spews. “Let this eat into your head, mother: You’re never gonna see my wife, and you will never see those kids again. Grandma is dead.”

Back at home, Jax and Tara share a truly gut-wrenching exchange in which the semi-estranged pair finally address the gaping distance between them:

JAX: I’m lost here Tara. I’m trying to put it back together, but I don’t know if I can.
TARA: I know…
JAX: I just feel so far away from you now. I know that’s my fault. Please, just tell me how do I get back?
TARA: I’m not sure.
JAX: Babe… Please let me back in.

And… sob!

Elsewhere on this week’s Sons of Anarchy.

• The Sons’ possible involvement in the school shooting finally is made public when Patterson leaks the club’s name to the local paper.

• An imprisoned Nero takes the fall for supplying the KG-9 that was used in the school shooting. “It wasn’t Teller who supplied the gun, it was me,” he confesses to the ruthless Patterson. “I’m responsible for the death of those children.” However, after evidence clears him (and implicates the late Toric) in the Diosa murder, and Eli helps her see that his confession is bogus, she cuts him loose.

• Juice delivers Connor back to the Kings, but tells Jax that they’re keeping him stateside and that he’s actually “a decent guy.” However, something tells me that the newly violent Juicy Juice may have just done away with him on his own…

What did you think of the episode? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Recaps

1. d says:

Darn this S.O.A episode was AWSOME is it next tuesday yet?!?!?!? Can’t wait to see what happens hurry up next tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Beth says:

This will blow up in Tara’s face very quickly. I was sad when I saw the new cold Tara fighting off the old Tara in the bathroom. I knew Wendy would unhinge so quickly after this, barring what Jax did in the opening by cheating on Tara I feel for the guy. Sadly I don’t believe Tara will make it to season 7. I loved uncers speech to Gemma but of course she is going to stay on the road he knew she would.

• AshleyRae says:

I agree w/you beth about tara she is REALLY SCREWED and the way she acted towards that lawyer chick all H.B.I.C that part pissed me off like really bitch?……Acting like gemma much?

• M3rc Nate says:

Well at least with Tara…its all for her kids…she is burning every bridge, ruining her life, hurting the man she loves, taking away his kids…ALL that, to get those kids out of charming and into a better life. Because even if they somehow grow up normally and dont become bikers in the SOA, they could still easily get killed for being Jax’s children. Considering Tara sees her life as done anyways, her going to prison, she like most mothers is putting her kids first above everything else and is doing really bad stuff so they will be good and safe.

3. Ben says:

Juice was not alone with Connor. Happy was with him so it is very unlikely he is dead. Plus, Juice has only been violent so far to help the club and seems like he would not go against Jax’s wishes at this point.

4. AshleyRae says:

Ahaha……I knew unser and wendy were going to buckle down! Gemma is her own worse enemy those secrets and hatetred got the best of her. Wendy is weak always have and for her to relapse with everything that’s happend?…… Tara is STUPID to have her as a possible gaurdian of abel and thomas. I seriously thought nero was going to bring up the irish about the gun when he mention that jax didn’t give it to him and then blame himself for the shooting. I’m glad he’s out but i’m wondering what’s going to happen BTW him the MC.

5. A.B. says:

It would be even more cold if Tara was only using Wendy to help her plan along and she actually wants to leave the boys with Margaret. However than she would have to deal with the loose cannon that is a stoned Wendy.

6. Winter says:

Yeah great choice for guardian there TARA! Those kids are screwed no mater what happens to them.

7. James D says:

Damn Kurt Sutter for giving me hope, damn him. I want to believe that their is a chance Jax and Tara get out of this somehow, but unfortunatly thats not Sons of Anarchy, Gemma’s going to Kill Tara and Jax will probably kill Gemma. I’m not sure Jax has it in him to kill Tara himself. and as Wayne says Gemma is on the road to ruin we all know she has what it takes to do it. either way this isn’t going to end well.

• Alice says:

Seriously! Oh sure, give us that great Jax/Tara scene AFTER she’s effectively shot to hell any chance of coming out of this alive or with her kids. Curse you Sutter.
      Of course, this family hating each other bit definitely points toward a Hamlet Act V bloodbath at the end of this. It’s going to be messy.

8. V says:

I love Gemma.

• Italia says:

Me too, but remember Tara knows about Gemma’s involvement in John Tellers death. I would leave Tara alone like Unser suggested she do. The truth will come out on it’s own.

• Beth says:

This just dawned on me. It’s easy to forget that Tara has that info on Gemma and to me that is on par with what Tara did but worse. If Gemma was smart she would realize why Tara did that and shut her mouth, but she won’t.

9. V says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Tara is an idiot.

Aside from getting high and crashing the car that one time Gemma really is the best person to take care of those kids. Yeah she might be a terrible person who lies but she loves her grandkids and would die for them. What does Tara think Gemma is going to do…patch in a baby and toddler into a motorcycle gang? The way Tara talks about getting the kids away from Gemma you would think she’d raise Thomas & Abel in a crack whore house. They are too young for her to corrupt.

Even without knowing that Wendy is back on drugs leaving your kids with someone who hasn’t been sober for that long on top of never raising any kids herself seems like a recipe for disaster.

I get she hates Gemma but this plan will blow up in her face and it won’t be worth it.

• Bob says:

“Aside from getting high and crashing the car that one time” That’s one big “aside”, don’t you think?

• Alice says:

I think the idea is that Tara doesn’t want the kids associated with the Sons at all. That would never happen with Gemma as their guardian. Look at Jax.

• the girl says:

Exactly. Consider what could have happened if Jax had not realized that beer shipment was a set up. The members of the club have been putting their families in harm’s way for years now. Think about Donna, and Opie, and Lyla. Not for nothing, Gemma then turned around and left those drugs in Wendy’s care, proving that she is just as selfish and hardhearted as ever. Gemma has not ever wanted what was best for Jax. If she did, she would have supported Jax when he wanted to leave the club and take his wife and children away from Charming. Gemma sees the club as family, and you don’t abandon your family. Tara is facing the reality that the children need to be protected, and that has to come at the expense of the club.

10. I hope Gemma lets it go and focuses on Nero and her, what Tara has done will come out and Jax’s will come ack to his mom, I think Tara will get killed in jail, and jax’s will get his boys but will leave the mc after he gets them out of guns, he will see what length tara went to, to get the boys away from that life,and he will leave.

• Jax & Juice's Girl says:

I don’t see jax FORGIVING tara when all of this comes to light he will be super pissed. As much as i have a love/hate feel for gemma i can’t wait to see what she’s going to do regarding tara,starting in the next ep. and the rest of the season!

11. Yoki says:

With Tara being pregnant in real life, totally plausible she won’t be back.

• Italia says:

If Tara is killed off, Jax will never get out of this life and history will simply repeat itself with his sons becoming part of the crew. So what was the point of the show if not for Jax to want something better for his sons and Tara was suppose to be his support system. They just ruined a great character and a great love story. What pushed them so apart, they always worked together until she was arrested. It does not make sense.

12. wrstlgirl says:

Terrible, terrible plan Tara. I just don’t know how Jax is ever going to forgive/trust her again. How can he?? Yes I know he cheated but I really hope they don’t just decide “well, we’ve both made mistakes, lets move forward” like so many other shows have done. That will be soooo lame. We may be seeing the last of Tara which is really to bad because like Bobby said, she makes Jax whole. Jax just might hit rock bottom with this betrayal. One thing to remember though, Tara knows that it was really Gemma who killed Jax father John Teller, not Clay. Wonder if that will come into play???

13. Maryann says:

I have not watched this season because I won’t be able to stand it if Tara is killed or if Jax and Tara end up with a terrible ending to their story. I will go back and watch when the season ( or the series) is over if it looks like a story I want to actually watch. I just want to see Jax in legitimate business and Jax and Tara together and reasonably happy — and I will be shocked if that actually happens in Kurt Sutter’s storytelling. Such a shame, too… I remember how hopeful the first seasons were in terms of Jax getting free.

• Italia says:

I totally agree. The only way to redeem Tara at this point is if she is being blackmailed into doing what she is doing.

• Winter says:

You have to remember that this is an adaption of a Shakespearean tragedy. It was never going to have a happy ending. It is sad and but I think that is the point. Eventually this kind of violent life will destroy you and everything you love.

14. Faster says:

Anyone catch Juice totally NOT move out of the way at all when that car was speeding down the road? He’s making me nervous.

15. IMHO says:

I think Juicy has a death wish !
    I think something snapped when he had to smother the mother and he got a beat down from his best friend Chibs . Juicy has been acting out since that happened.
    Jax is going to have to throw the Irish under the bus to get away from the school shooting.

16. kink says:

Unser had some good moments in this episode. I predict in the end Jax & Gemma will meet a bloody ending. BTW what’s going on with Clay? Missing him..

17. theman says:

This episode of SOA on 10/29/13 should win an award! You have one theme threaded throughout several characters lives; that is the pursuit of justice, and right vs wrong. What do you do when you know the truth, and would have to use a lie to punish a person guilty of something else? Lieutenant Eli who is purest of heart, contends with this over a jailed setup Maggie, and previously with Nero. Eli’s superior DA Tyne Patterson has a similar cross to bear with Nero who was blackmailed. Does she use the planted evidence against him if it can get her the much wanted incarceration of SAMCRO? Does she try to get a deal with Nero based on b.s.? Tara found her own sense of justice by faking a miscarriage to escape SAMCRO by using Maggie as a scapegoat. Even though both law officers have an opportunity to abuse their power and play with likely frame ups, they decline in the end. Retired Chief Unser, a man with a torn past has to come to peace with the implied knowledge of Tara’s deeds. He decides to persuade Maggie that letting go is more important than justice. A father of a gunned down child by a disturbed boy’s shootout, a k-9 gun no less, sold to the mom by SAMCRO, mows down one of SAMCRO’s guys in his car. SAMCRO find’s him. Jax intervenes knowing the path he must take for the club. Do they kill him when they know the real reasons for this fathers anger? Do two wrongs make a right? This episode explores many different story lines of wrong/pursuit of justice where each character’s have made their own decisions, and not always are they pure. Somehow these all happened in one episode. This was genius!

• Jax & Juice's Girl says:

100% AGREE!!!! Katey sagal NEEDS get an emmy……i liked what she said to roosevelt: I’m a drity biker whore with a record, she’s the good doctor does anything i say really matters?’ Maggie siff also should be recongized as well. Even though i can’t stand tara and the way the writer’s are making her as i guess the bad guy…..the way she’s going all out the things she’s pulling just to get the boys out. HEY TARA BETTER CALL SAUL!

• dogstar99 says:

Corrected: This episode of SOA on 10/29/13 should win an award! You have one theme threaded throughout several characters lives; that is the pursuit of justice, and right vs wrong. What do you do when you know the truth, and would have to use a lie to punish a person guilty of something else? Lieutenant Eli who is purest of heart, contends with this over a jailed setup Gemma, and previously with Nero. Eli’s superior DA Tyne Patterson has a similar cross to bear with Nero who was blackmailed. Does she use the planted evidence against him if it can get her the much wanted incarceration of SAMCRO? Does she try to get a deal with Nero based on b.s.? Tara found her own sense of justice by faking a miscarriage to escape SAMCRO by using Gemma as a scapegoat. Even though both law officers have an opportunity to abuse their power and play with likely frame ups, they decline in the end. Retired Chief Unser, a man with a torn past has to come to peace with the implied knowledge of Tara’s deeds. He decides to persuade Gemma that letting go is more important than justice. A father of a gunned down child by a disturbed boy’s shootout, a k-9 gun no less, sold to the mom by SAMCRO, mows down one of SAMCRO’s guys in his car. SAMCRO find’s him. Jax intervenes knowing the path he must take for the club. Do they kill him when they know the real reasons for this fathers anger? Do two wrongs make a right? This episode explores many different story lines of wrong/pursuit of justice where each character’s have made their own decisions, and not always are they pure. Somehow these all happened in one episode. This was genius!

18. Molly Harper says:

Totally tired of the entire Tara story line. Wanna see more of the MC and less of the drama with the women. Boring.

19. Pita says:

I think I am an odd person out regarding my thoughts with Tara/Jax…more power to Tara however she is going to be killed for what she’s doing. Jax and the club are criminals drama follows them where ever they go and if it is too calm they create it and play like victims. Gemma is the mother of the club and killed Jax’s dad and lets Clay take all the heat. A complete coward.
    Tara was insane to get involved with Jax to begin with. Jax has No backbone. A man who can’t stand up to his mother and walk away to protect his Wife and children is No man at all. I love the show it strongly shows how this kind of life destroys life and Kurt Sutter is amazing in how he pulls all this together. I look forward to seeing how he ties it all together. The actors/actresses are excellent in their roles makes you feel like you are in the show.

20. Babs says:

Pita it sounds like you shouldnt be watching this show being you hate everyone but Tara maybe you should be watching The Good Wife instead..

• Elle says:

Pita is entitled to have her own opinion about the show. Just because your opinion differs is not a reason for her to stop watching. She never said she hated everyone but Tara. You are needlessly defensive.

• TJ says:

I do watch the Good Wife…great show…just like SOA is a great show….you misunderstood. The actors/actresses play their character with amazing passion and well. I appreciate Kurt Sutter for a show that portrays the reality of living a life of crime and then a woman who chooses to marry into the life…Jax, last season, promised Tara he was moving the club in a better way and as soon as he did they were out…did not go as planned. Tara, trying to be a king’s wife, goes to speak with Otto…doesn’t go so well. Jax allows drama, chaos, revenge and hate to change or alter the promise he gave his wife. When she realizes this she begins a plan and did tell Jax about it towards the end of last season. When in Jail Tara realizes, I think, the boys only way out is thru total separation from anything to do with SOA. I believe in Jail she chose to fight fire with fire. She tried the somewhat honost way first…didn’t work. I say honost very loosely…no one in this show is honost.
      The actors/actresses play their parts so well Yes I dislike the ones suppose to be disliked. Who in the world would want Gemma as a Mother n Law…really….LOL…no way. My husband and I still root for Jax to make a clean break but have our doubts he ever will…don’t think he has the back bone really don’t think he wants to. I enjoy the guys in the MC love their individual characters…and oh wow, Venus…hats off to the portrayal of Venus.
      Nero wow how he took the fall for the MC…he’s got Salt. Tara remember did not cave under pressure of Toric or the DA….she is however sharing all secrets and I believe it is going to get her killed…she is sharing secrets that have directly touched her boys. She fighting in a very nasty criminal way. I think she knows she’s going to die and doesn’t really care. I simply like what Tara is attempting to do and that is protect her kids at all cost, even her own life. Don’t agree with how but think she believes it’s the only way.

21. TJ says:

TJ and Pita are the same person …. not sure how that happened.

22. Sherie says:

Please d not end this series! Tara’s gotta go…she’s just evil.

23. Dee says:

As soon as Tara told Gemma she was pregnant before she told Jax, and when she left the pregnancy test results laying on the table instead of personally telling Jax, (who does that?), I thought she must be faking a pregnancy. I thought it was to protect herself in case she turns on Samcro to get a plea deal to get out of Charming with the boys. I am betting that Tara’s lie unravels. Wendy may cave, Unser still loves Gemma and he may get to the bottom of it. I am just wondering though, does anyone else think that Clay may be Jax’s real father vs. John Teller, like maybe Gemma was pregnant by him when she got married to John? That would be a bombshell.

24. pita says:

Dee…those are some interesting thoughts. Clay always refers to Jax as my son…granted he did raise him, mostly, and no one really knows the truth when it comes to Gemma she is a master of lying. I thought the pregnancy story was fake from the beginning thought Tara was making excuses for going places she did not want others to know about and us the viewers don’t really know where she goes…more to come, I hope. I feel sorry for Wendy…she has owned many times over her mistakes begins to turn her life around and really makes strides…then Jax jams a speed ball in her and then both Tara and Gemma Use her and manipulate her horribly and Jax really dude get off your self righteous high horse you Jax have put that kid in harms way over and over again
    Ya I completely agree Tara’s lie seemed to be unraveling during the past episode and Tara herself seemed to be coming unglued…not sure how long she lasts.