Exclusive Reign First Look: Meet Francis' Royal Competition for Mary's Hand — and Heart?

Get More: First Look, Previews

Reign Season 1 Spoilers Manolo Cardona TomasThe long-standing promise that binds Reign‘s Mary and Francis — and their countries — takes a hit this week when the dashing, soon-to-be Prince of Portugal arrives at the French Court. And we’ve got your first glimpse of Manolo Cardona’s (Covert Affairs) debut as Tomas, aka the reason Mary considers breaking her engagement.

RELATEDReign‘s Megan Follows on Catherine’s Covert Clean-Up

In the episode, King Henry refuses Mary’s request for help defending Scotland from a possible English attack. That’s when Tomas swoops in and asks the young queen to marry him, saying he’ll aid her efforts to thwart England if she’ll be his wife (and dump Francis in the process, of course).

This turn of events evokes various reactions from the rest of the royals. Queen Catherine, Megan Follows tells TVLine, sees the situation as “the lesser of two evils:” On one hand, Tomas’ proposal would get rid of her problematic future daughter-in-law. “But she also knows that her son has very strong feelings for Mary. By winning, Catherine loses. But by losing, everything is then lost,” Follows adds. “It’s a fascinating predicament to find oneself in.”

RELATED | New CW Promo for Nikita‘s Final Season Touts Major ‘Mikita’ Rift

Perhaps Tomas shouldn’t get too comfortable at court, however; during a WBTV/CBS Studios-sponsored set visit, star Adelaide Kane previewed that “there’s going to be some other romances coming and out, some other young gentlemen suitors, which should be fun for me.”

She added with a laugh: “I get all the boys and all the clothes.”

Reign airs Thursday at 9/8c on The CW.

Scroll down to see Cardona and Kane getting to know each other, then hit  the comments with your predictions about what’s in store for Mary.

Reign Season 1 Spoilers Manolo Cardona Tomas

Tags: ,

Comments (16)

• Looks good. I’m surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes. Hope this show sticks around for at least a full season (and more!)

Comment by Ange – October 29, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fun show! It’s worth it just to see what headbands are worn each week, haha.

Comment by Cat – October 29, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis, honestly, can’t die of an ear infection fast enough for me.

Comment by Peach – October 29, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not me, I love Francis’s character! I am enjoying the tension and chemistry with Mary and Francis and hope to see more of it! Is it Thursday yet? ;)

Comment by Lola – October 29, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with you. And the rumors around Europe are all wrong. Francis got the passion. Bash got those gorgeous eyes but not much else. He’s boring.

Comment by deme – November 13, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am enjoying Reign. This is the first CW show that I have watched. Love the dresses too.

Comment by Heather – October 29, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The settings!! (Where do they film?), the clothes!!! The headbands are beautiful.

I do enjoy this show.

Comment by ninamags – October 29, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read that they filmed the pilot in Ireland and then they moved production to Toronto. I wish I remember where I read that so I could give you the link.

Comment by Heather – October 29, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show. The writing and cast are excellent.

Comment by Wright – October 29, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying the show and I love Manolo Cardona. YUM!

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – October 29, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, didnt think i would so much. Great job CW. Maybe pair it next season with Hart of Dixie or Carrie if it survives.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 29, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am OBSESSED with this show! I love love love everything about it!

Comment by Julia – November 2, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show – please keep it around

Comment by Andrea – December 7, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You\’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Comment by lostcovenaturalist.com – January 31, 2014 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post