Ratings: Grimm Returns Strong, Carrie Diaries Down, Dracula Debuts Well, Shark Tank Hits High

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Grimm - Season 3NBC’s Grimm scared up good numbers with its Season 3 premiere, drawing 6.1 million total viewers and a 1.8 demo rating in the 9 o’clock hour — up from its year-ago Friday time slot premiere (5.3 mil/1.6), its most recent Friday airing (4.9 mil/1.3) and its Season 2 finale (5 mil/1.7), which aired on a Tuesday.

Leading out of that, Dracula‘s debut — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “C+” — bled a few viewers but demonstrated full demo retention, with 5.3 mil and a 1.8 rating, topping the 10 o’clock hour in the latter measure. NBC notes that Dracula is the second-highest rated Friday drama premiere on any network in three years (since Blue Bloods).

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Was NBC’s Dracula Fangtastic or Bloody Awful?

Over on The CW, The Carrie Diaries returned to 840,000 viewers and a 0.3 rating, down from its series debut (1.6 mil/0.6), its freshman finale (1 mil/0.4), Nikita‘s year-ago premiere in the time slot (1 mil/0.3) and Top Model‘s most recent performance in Friday’s lead-off position (1.5 mil/0.6).

RELATED | The Carrie Diaries Season 2 Premiere Recap: Enter Samantha Jones!

CBS’ Undercover Boss (8.6 mil/1.6) dipped in audience and two tenths in the demo, while both Hawaii Five-0 (9.3 mil/1.4) and Blue Bloods (11 mil/1.3) added eyeballs while steady in the demo.

ABC’s Shark Tank (7.3 mil/2.0) rose 20 percent in audience (to an all-time high for a regular telecast) and matched last week’s season-high rating. Fox’s MasterChef Junior (3.9 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth.

Comments (38)

• If the trend continues, does that make Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5-0 bubble shows next year?

Comment by Paul – October 26, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hard to say…but I do seem to recall the CBS president saying that Friday nights were about actual eyeball viewers as opposed to the coveted 18-49 demo. If what he says is true…the I would think CBS is quite happy with between 9 and 11 mil turning into watch both shows.

Comment by CA – October 26, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is just Network Press Release talking. Advertisers only pay for demo numbers so total viewers mean nothing.
        I think Moonves knew NBC great genre night was going to beat his boring cop shows in the important demo, so he said that. But its no true.

Comment by anna – October 26, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wouldnt think so. I kn ow i live in maine and they had high school football on my local cbs so i have to watch blue bloods and hawii 5-0 on demand

Comment by mainecane – October 26, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AS much as i love Grimm, this episode was a bit dull… a really waste of time… i want them to get back to ordinary bases…

Comment by jm – October 26, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree.. I was really looking forward to Grimm, but this ep didn’t really show us anything new and/or exciting.. if they would have at least ended with some sort of run-in between Nick and the others as a cliffhanger till the next ep, maybe,…
      but hopefully, once they get to Nick and him back to “normal” they can continue with everything before the voodoo-priest-turned-blobfish-spitting-green-stuff-into-people’s-faces-turning-them-into-zombies storyline.. :)

Comment by Jules – October 26, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the Grimm episode; I was really expecting much more. It seemed to be more of a set-up episode for next week that the season premier however, I love Grimm and know it won’t be long before Nick is no longer a Zombie and we’re back to the gang working together to take care of the real monsters.

Comment by Tenney – October 26, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully with Juliet having something to do, now that she’s not cursed and knows. Everyone else has been interesting and/or useful. It would be nice if she was, too.

Comment by Mari – October 26, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that stinks because The Carrie Diaries was awesome last night!

Comment by Elyse – October 26, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoyed the ep. of grimm last night alot asskicking zombie action!
      Wondering how long nick will be a raging grimm ‘zombie’……….

Comment by AshleyRae – October 26, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW should have never moved The Carrie Diaries to friday, putting it with American Next Top Model was a horrible choice. Bring it back to mondays or tuesdays

Comment by Sarah – October 26, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I honestly think that Carrie Diaries got a renewal only because there wasn’t another pilot they had enough faith in to pick up instead. As for now, the only place they could possibly move it is Monday’s. That said, even though Beauty and the Beast is struggling it’s still doing better than Carrie. Both shows are goners at season’s end.

Comment by Gilded Lady – October 26, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s part of the reason but also according to deadline, it did wel o Hulu,with CWha arich streaming deal.

Comment by Brandy – October 26, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That makes sense. I’m sure they are going to keep a close eye on this. If they keep slipping, doing well on streaming media won’t matter much.

Comment by Gilded Lady – October 26, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted Carrie Diaries to do well. It deserves too.

Comment by kchamley – October 26, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! It is a great show with a good message at the end (reminds me of the original 90210). It would probably thrive on another night or on ABC Family. Putting it on Friday nights SHOULD result in a decrease in ratings, its a terrible spot. I’d guess a lot of the people watching are older fans of SITC not teenagers.

Comment by 3dhouseofmagic – October 26, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sur that Nikita did not make 0.4 on the 18/49 last year ! Not with 0.95M !

Comment by KyleScott – October 26, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed; 0.3. Amended.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 26, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t understand why The CW didn’t pair The Carrie Diaries with Hart of Dixie this year. *sigh* I’ve really gotten attached to the former.

Comment by William – October 26, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because they were trying to salvage Beauty and the Beast and because 0.6 is awful even by CW standards.

Comment by Gilded Lady – October 26, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Carrie diaries is all about sex. While HoD flirts with the subject it’s not in your face like Carrie diaries. Bad matchup.

Comment by Len – October 26, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You clearly haven’t watched the show because it’s more than just sex. TCD is a coming of age tale with a romantic aspect involved, which is something that Hart of Dixie has in common. They’re more compatible than Beauty & The Beast, hence why The CW should’ve paired the two together.

Comment by William – October 27, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • actually, Carrie Diaries rarely brings up sex. It’s such a good show! I wish people gave it more of a chance!

Comment by Johnny – October 27, 2013 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Shark Tank is doing well. Network television this year is probably more boring than it ever was but I enjoy Shark Tank and Master Chef, Jr. Never thought I would like MC, Jr. but I do.

Comment by Virginia B. – October 26, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to hear Carrie Diaries is down. It’s such an awesome little show.

Comment by Lauren – October 26, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW has so many Sci fi shows happening. Carrie Diaries is a nice change from that. They need to put more faith in that show

Comment by kchamley – October 26, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • H50 in third place in the time slot. LOL

Comment by anna – October 26, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad the Carrie Diaries is down. Hopefully that increases the likelihood that Reign will be saved

Comment by me – October 26, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so too! I liked The Carrie Diaries last year, but I’m just not motivated to keep watching (not really sure why, but with such amazing new shows… :/) and Reign is soooo much better than any of the shows that premiered on the CW last year (and even this year, at least in my opinion). I really hope people give it a chance because I’m hooked as well as pretty much everybody that watched it & whose opinions I’ve read online. And it’s such an unique series for The CW, and a unique approach to history in shows of the gender [reminds me of Merlin, honestly :')]. I’m really crossing my fingers for it to get a full season and then more! i hope people can see that too, it gets better by the episode :)

Comment by Rita – October 26, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha! Looks like I’ve found a kindred spirit! I completely agree with everything you said! Reign is so different that anything the CW has done before and its actually pretty well done considering its intended audience. There has been a few grievances with the wardrobe and whatnot but in my opinion, its really not that big a deal. I would take Reign over something like Carrie Diaries anyway, I tried watching it last year but it doesn’t fit into the Sex and the City world. And it looks like thats the only reason why people are even watching it yet they’re not even doing that right. The CW already has a “feel good” show in Hart of Dixie and its better than The Carrie Diaries anyway.

I even like Reign more than Beauty and the Beast – i feel like the stakes are so much higher in Reign since this is based (LOOSELY) on history while Beauty and the Beast has been done before – its like they’re trying too hard to be the Vampire Diaries or something. I’ve been waaaaaiting for a period drama thats not all nudity and gross. I’m trying to encourage everyone I know to watch it!!

Honestly, Reign is so much better than any of the other shows that debuted this year – I’m not following any of them after the first episode. AND its better than Carrie Diaries and Beauty and the Beast and I’ll even throw in Hart of Dixie. It has the potential, I really hope it doesn’t get canceled early without giving it a chance to find its footing.

ok end of rant. haha

Comment by me – October 26, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Reign is a great show! I am happy to have a historical drama on a major network, especially since The White Queen just ended. I hope the CW is able to keep Reign around. Dracula was interesting but I find Reign far more compelling.

Comment by Ava – October 26, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now Carrie diaries fans know how we Nikita fans felt when the cw shipped this show to the death slot.

Comment by nikita fan – October 26, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TCD should have been kept on Mondays and paired with HOD and BATB should have been moved to Fridays .

Comment by Fernando – October 26, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know because BATB does the exact same ratings on mondays.

Comment by KyleScott – October 26, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TCD will be a much better fit with HOD and could prob grow to 1 million. BATB do not go with HOD and prob will not grow

Comment by Fernando – October 26, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TCD needs a major shakeup in the writer’s room. Have these people ever watched Sex and the City??? Where’s the sex? Why is Carrie acting like Charlotte??? Samantha is the only decent character on this show.

Comment by Amy – October 26, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the show’s doing just fine. It isn’t supposed to be like SATC as it’s a coming of age tale. Not to mention, it’s based on the book series as opposed to the original TV series. What’s refreshing about TCD is that focuses on plot/character development as opposed to ridiculous, over the top plot twists like Gossip Girl or 90210. If more people gave it a chance, I’m sure they would enjoy it because it’s a nice watch. It may very well be one of the best teen dramas in years.

Comment by William – October 27, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post