Fox Unveils Midseason Schedule, Sets Dates for Idol, The Following — Plus: Glee Takes a Breather

Get More: Scheduling News

Fox_Midseason_Schedule_2014Fox has announced its midseason game plan, and it includes return dates for American Idol and The Following, as well as the annual spring hiatus for Glee.

Idol returns with its traditional two-night, four-hour premiere on Wednesday, Jan. 15, and Thursday, Jan. 16.

RELATED | Fox’s Dads Nearing Full-Season Order

The Following kicks off its 15-week, uninterrupted second season on Monday, Jan. 20, at 9/8c, following the season finale of Sleepy Hollow. (Almost Human will return to the lineup on Jan. 27.)

The new Greg Kinnear drama Rake debuts with a special two-night event beginning Sunday, Jan. 19, and continuing with its regular time period debut on Thursday, Jan. 23, following Idol.

In the spring when Idol results go to 30 minutes, the new Chris Meloni comedy Surviving Jack will air immediately afterwards.

RELATED | Exclusive Video: Almost Human‘s Karl Urban Previews ‘Uneasy’ Human-Robotic Life in 2048

Here’s a rundown of the midseason tweaks:

Friday, Jan. 10:

9:30-10 pm Enlisted (Series premiere)

Wednesday, Jan. 15:

8-10 pm American Idol (Season premiere, Part 1)

Thursday, Jan. 16:

8-10 pm American Idol (Season Premiere, Part 2)

Sunday, Jan. 19:

6-10 pm  NFC Championship Game (Live)

10-11 pm Rake (Series premiere, Night 1)

RELATED | The Following Exclusive Promo: ‘Devil’-ish Joe Haunts Ryan… From Beyond the Grave?

Monday, Jan. 20:

8-9 pm Sleepy Hollow (Season finale; special time)

9-10 pm The Following (Season premiere)

Thursday, Jan. 23:

8-9 pm American Idol  (Time-slot premiere)

9-10 pm Rake (Series premiere, Night 2; time-slot premiere)

Per Fox, Glee‘s current fifth season will resume in the spring.

Comments (49)

• Good . I like it

Comment by Tess – October 25, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Us and Them was permanently shelved. I believe you reported that scoop, Ausiello. What gives?

Comment by MujerdeFuego – October 25, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sue they just said it was “all but cancelled,” only make a couple episodes?

Comment by Lauren – October 25, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Us and Them is receiving the same treatment as Goodwin Games from last season. Series order cut from 13 to between 6-8 episodes, production shut down, cast allowed out of their contracts.

Comment by johnhelvete – October 25, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wasn’t Us and Them already cancelled?

Comment by jake – October 25, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does this mean: “Randy Jackson returning as the new…”? First off, I thought he was done. And how does someone return as the new person?

Comment by Amanda From Michigan – October 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a mentor. New role.

Comment by Jennifer Mitchell – October 25, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What a joke. That guy as a mentor?!? NO thank you. So glad I gave up on that show two seasons ago!

Comment by maryann – October 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Bold’ new show Rake. Yeah, if it’s bold to remake an already popular (and awesome) Australian show. Just watch the original. And MujerdeFuego, they stopped filming Us and Them early, but they’re still going to air the six? seven? episodes they filmed.

Comment by Lauren – October 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I don’t get where Almost Human figures into this. It debuts on November 17, but on January 20 it’s not on the schedule?

Comment by Hana – October 25, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Assuming ALMOST HUMAN will continue Mondays at 8:00p after the SLEEPY HOLLOW finale.

Comment by Sean – October 25, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when is Glee taking a break???

Comment by Eric7740 – October 25, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I`m sure it`s after ep. 10 since they had said that after this mini hiatus they would air 7 ep in a row.

Comment by Ann – October 25, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s actually after Ep 9, then remaining 12 starting in April

Comment by Me – October 26, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing the season finale of Sleepy Hollow on January 20 makes me sad. Why couldn’t they have had 15 episodes and The Following 13?

Comment by meem – October 25, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t the Sleepy Hollow finale be January 13th since The Following is premiering January 29th at its usual time? Or is Sleepy Hollow going to more to 8? But I feel your pain. I don’t mind a shortened season but I would love a few extra episodes. Not to mention that we’ll obviously get quite a few repeats if its not done until January.

Comment by Francine – October 25, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh geez, nevermind on my first question. Obviously I’m not good at reading today!

Comment by Francine – October 25, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX’s schedule is just too damn complicated.

Comment by Derek – October 25, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m not watching The Following again. Very disappointed in the first season. More Sleepy Hollow!!!!

Comment by Tammy – October 25, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I 2nd that!!!

Comment by jazzyt2u – October 25, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! And the new that Joe Carroll is most likely alive… yawn.

Comment by Choco – October 26, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if the new season of The Following is going to be good or bad than Season One.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 25, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rake premieres at 10pm? I thought FOX didn’t air shows at that time.

Comment by steven – October 25, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a *special* post-football premiere, it’s regular timeslot is Thursdays at 9.

Comment by Sean – October 25, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sick of all the singing shows, I think was only one winner that made it really big. Just combine them into one show ” The Voice of the next American Idol with the X-Factor”

Comment by Dennis – October 25, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! And that’s not even all of them… The Sing Off is back this fall, and then there’s America’s Got Talent which features a lot of singers. Definitely over-saturation! It will be interesting to see a few years from now which ones, if any, are still on the air.

Comment by James – October 25, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will the other networks announce their midseason schedules?

Comment by Teag – October 25, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that will be it for The Following. I get the feeling it’s ratings will drop and be cancelled after the season

Comment by Bill – October 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is The American’s coming back??

Comment by Tami Fletcher – October 25, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s on FX, not FOX.

Comment by steven – October 25, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Steven, I know which channel it is on..I was just asking the question.

Comment by Tami Fletcher – October 25, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Americans Facebook page just said it would be back in February.

Comment by Lauren – October 25, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I was really looking forward to Wayward Pines with Matt Dillon, but I guess Fox decided to not put it on their schedule after all even though it was a mid season show!
    Once again no Fox for me as I have decided to not watch Season 2 of The Following.

Comment by sarah – October 25, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wayward Pines is premiering in the summer.

Comment by Sean – October 25, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not being on the air has been the most enjoyable part of The Following so far. Why do they have to go and ruin that?

Comment by Drew – October 25, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox’s scheduling is a hot mess. In an age where reality competitions are dying, is it really necessary to give American Idol a two-night 4 hour premiere?! Also, why is Sleepy Hollow only 13-15 episodes yet they already picked it up for a second season? Why not give it a full 22? And how long is Glee going to be off the air? Fox continually tries to kill Glee by putting it on Thursdays at 9 and then giving it ridiculously long/spontaneous hiatuses that detract viewers from it.

Comment by Jillian – October 25, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Sleepy Hollow 13-episode order works better in a creative level. Less filler.

Comment by Choco – October 26, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What Choco said. Honestly, I actually prefer a 13-15 episode season over a 22 episode season. Maybe thats due to how much cable I watch. I think it keeps the story more focused. As for “The Following” it just showed up on netflix and I tried to watch the season 1 finale. About a minute into it I turned it off and realized just how much I don’t care anymore.

Comment by Jake – October 27, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch the new season of The Following and check out Greg’s new show Rake.

Comment by Joey – October 25, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so excited when The Following was starting it’s run last year. 5 episodes in and I completely gave up on the show. Not good at all (and way too heavy-handed with the Poe references). Sleepy Hollow is where it’s at! Love that show! It’s the much better version of The Following. And now that Fox viewers have Sleepy Hollow to compare with The Following, I think season 2 may be it for The Following. It just doesn’t compare.

Comment by Ron – October 25, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is scheduled to be back mid-April

Comment by Jaime04 – October 25, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, Glee returns Nov 7th for 6 episodes (thru early Dec), then a break until April

Comment by KC – October 25, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the heck is Gang Related ? The acripta I read were pretty good….

Comment by johnny doe – October 25, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i actually really enjoyed the first season of The Following. Who cares if law enforcement were a step behind all the time, its called a scripted show, it happens. The suspense kicked up every week and had a little downfall in the finale but it definitely kept me wanting more. Can’t wait for season 2!

Comment by jonathon – October 26, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Raising Hope??????

Comment by Gail – October 26, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss something (wouldn’t be surprised – lol)? Has Bones been cancelled? Why has it disappeared from the schedule?

Comment by arial2 – October 26, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BONES moves to Fridays in mid-November.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 26, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no, dude this is just mid season tweeks, bones is on Fridays at 8

Comment by Curt – October 27, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, here’s hoping they dont kill RAKE, an incredibly terrific Austrailian show with Richard Roxbugh. It’s gonna break my heart (since they stopped showing it on Audience) if they
    ‘americanize’ this, as our networks have done with almost all British or Aus shows……..the cast couldnt be replicated sol ???.. never mind. we’ll see

Comment by Curt – October 27, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post