CBS Eyeing Charmed Reboot: Magical or Madenning? Take Our Poll!

Charmed-Reboot-CBSCBS knows witch way it’s headed this pilot season.

The network has ordered a pilot script for a reboot of Charmed, the long-running, magical-sisters drama that ended in 2006 after eight seasons on The WB.

VIDEO | Witches of East End Exclusive Preview: Ingrid’s Aura Reveals the Truth About [Spoiler]

According to Vulture, which broke the news, the project will be written by Chris Keyser (executive producer, Party of Five and Lone Star) and partner Sydney Sidner, and will reimagine the Aaron Spelling series that starred Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs and Shannen Doherty (who was replaced by Rose McGowan at the end of Season 3).

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, The Mentalist, Bones, Grey’s, Castle, Criminal Minds and More

If Charmed gets ordered to series, it would join Lifetime’s similarly themed Witches of East End — which also follows a sisterhood of spellcasters fighting against evil — as well as FX’s current American Horror Story: Coven, The CW’s The Vampire Diaries and Fox’s Sleepy Hollow as hit shows prominently featuring sorceresses in their plots.

Reactions from the original Charmed ones thus far:

What do you think about a Charmed reboot? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Elyse says:

Very mixed!

• Dennis says:

They need to stop with the reboots. A sequel show might work

• Chance says:

I’m ok with a reboot, but I’d rather have a sequel. That seems like it would be much better than a reboot.

• lori says:

Agree. How about following the next generation?

• That would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately it would be really hard to do without the original trio (well okay, not Doherty, but Milano, Combs & McGowan) reprising their roles on at least a part time basis. That could prove difficult seeing as how Milano is currently on both a lead on Mistress and the new host of Project Runway All stars, and Combs currently plays Aria’s mom on Pretty Little Liars.

• My thought to :) i think it would amazing if they made it about the next generation where charmed ones children take over the fight against evil! so they can pick up from where they left off!! They can’t bring back old the cast because the way it ended and where Piper and Leo was old and plus It wouldn’t be the same. So a sequel would be amazing. They can call it charmed- The next generation awesome!

• Derek says:

I agree 100% with you and believe that a charmed – next generation would be successful. This would give the original cast the ability to be involved and help give direction without forcing them to be the main cast. Kind of a introduction to kick off the series and make appearances once in awhile.

• Amanda from England says:

I totaly Agree. A sequal would be wonderful.

If they can’t get the original 2 young men go further ahead and have a next but one generation when the demons have sorted them selves out and it is 50 years in the future.

• cjeffery7 says:

what is a sequel if not a reboot?? lol

• Jamie Bing says:

To be honest I hope they do redo it because what they did to cole was truly disgusting and it’s a horrible show now in my opinion the minute they stopped phoebe and cole from being together the show went downhill

• Ahmir Love says:

VERYYYYYYY EXCITED- JUST HOPE THAT THE OLD CAST CAN HAVE SOME ROLES- PLEASE MAKE A GOOD DECISION ON THE CAST AND MAKE THE PLOT GREAT- SOMEONE SAID IT SHOULD BE CALLED “CHARMED NEXT GENERATION” SO I AGREE WHERE THE KIDS TAKE CHARGE AND THE SISTERS REPRISE THEIR ROLES…..IM VERY EXCITED AND WANTED SOMETHING LIKE THIS- CAN THEY PLEASE ALSO BRING BACK “LEGEND OF THE SEEKER” PLEASE PLEASE

• Yvonne says:

Why don’t they just continue the Charmed series? Kids & Parents 6yrs older?

2. steven says:

What is this: Reboot City?! The show hasn’t even been off the air that long. Leave it alone.

3. Sage says:

No way. You do not touch Charmed! End of story!

• So true – I still watch it in syndication, one of the most creative shows there was. And the finale was superb!

• Angie says:

I agree with you 100% Darcy, the finale’ was superb. To do a reboot would IMHO, be an insult to the original cast. PLEASE leave it alone! Milano said it right, too soon & would ruin the memory of a well run program.

• shelly olo says:

loved the last and will love the next gen hopfully they will let chris and wyatt take the lead

• Jacqi says:

My thoughts exactly. They ended the show nicely when it went off the air.

• James says:

The second half of Charmed was rubbish. If this reboot rewrites the wrongs of the original Charmed, then this reboot could be a great thing.

• Rachel says:

You shut your mouth. Blasphemy! lol

• Carrie says:

It’s so true. I can’t even stand to watch the Rose McGowan seasons anymore. I wish Shannen Doherty hadn’t left. The chemistry was never as good w/o her.

• Luli says:

What?!?! The seasons with Rose McGowan/Paige were so much better than with Prue… At first it was all Aout Prue, but when she left we saw more of the sisters. Season 5 is my favorite.

• Tiffany says:

I totally agree with you. Season five was my favorite season. And that finale was amazing.

• Steven says:

I disagree. Season 1 was very much about Prue, but season 2 was a lot of Piper, and season 3 was mostly piper and Phoebe.

• kelly says:

I disagree about the finale. Im sorry but at the end they didnt even show a pic of Prue .like she wasn’t even a sister. I jnow it had to do with the fact that they woukd have had to pay Shannen D or something but still..they could have used a pic of her when she was little. Something. And no Daryl? I was very disappointed in the finale. It was always trivial tobme how they could bring grams back at the drop of the hat but not once bring Prue back…i know grams said they couldn’t….”not yet anyway” its like once paige was a part of the family prue did t exist. Idk I am very partial to Prue

• kelly says:

I couldnt agree with u more. Killing prue was awful. I woukd have done it a totally different way..leaving room for her to return. I would have introduced the new sister early on.. what made me mad was in Centennial Charmed where Piper asked Paige if they were close in “this other world” and she says “close enough to avenge Pruces death together”. First of all Paige did not know Prue. Second they didnt avenge Pruces death together like itnwas a mission…it was a whim and if u recall after they vanquished Shax Paige got upset and said “what have u turned me into”. I din think Prue and Paige would have gotten along lol. Ok rant over.

• Anna says:

^^^THIS.

• Luli says:

I completely agree with you!! Charmed is untouchable! I don’t want. Reboot, I want a reunion…

4. Lila says:

WTH? It’s not “reimagining” it’s stealing someone elses ideas. Charmed was great for what it was- and the cast made the show. Leave it be.

5. Dick Whitman says:

I don’t know how I feel about this.

6. Esaul says:

Um. It’d be cool to pull the original cast in. Other than that…pass.

7. Mary says:

I’d rather they did a series a bit into the future and focus on Wyatt, Chris, their sister and cousins.

• Ashley says:

Yes! That’s the only way I’d feel cool about it, tbh. Get Wes Ramsey, Chris Fuller, and cast their sister, and I’d watch that.

• Ashlee says:

This, I’d rather watch a “next generation” rather than a reboot.

• Katie_Mead says:

I’d also prefer to wait for Charmed: TNG than see a reboot.

• Lauren says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Focus on the kids and I’ll watch it. I don’t need a rehashing of an eight-season series.

• Nicole says:

Exactly! Let the kids rise to power. Wyatt and Chris especially would be fun to watch.

• That’d be the one way I’d NOT have it. Charmed was my favorite show ever growing up — and second was Beverly Hills 90210. Did you not see what they did with 90210 (next gen?). They messed it up! They ruined every single character from the original show, they made it soapy, messy, cliché! It was horrible. I couldn’t stand a whole season! NO!

If they’re rebooting Charmed, it should be like Hawaii Five-0, original story, but with their own take, and a different, but hopefully, amazing and lively cast! I’d be up for that. I think I might love that.

• Mary says:

I didn’t watch either version of 90210. The original didn’t interest me and neither did their next generation. Did the original series end with any of them having kids? Charmed had two established kids well before the finale. We even saw them as adults, one of them for a full season. And in the finale we saw the others having children and even at least Piper’s grandchildren.

• Lexiana May says:

Kelly had a son with Dylan.

Brenda was infertile.

Donna had a baby daughter.

Andrea’s teenage daughter showed up for about 5 minutes in like the 4th episode of the 1st season.

I couldn’t tell you if any of the others had kids because I lost interest early on and never watched it again.

It was just ghastly and never became a huge hit.

Charmed had a good ending and all of the loose ends were tied up.

There is no reason to bring it back and that point was proven with the Charmed comic.

You didn’t know about that?? Nobody DID.

It was over almost as soon as it started.

Reboots very rarily work and when they do, it’s usually on cable.

Dallas and Bates Motel are proof of that.

Charmed should live on through reruns and a possible movie about 20 or 30 years down the line.

CBS needs to be original and think of new and creative ideas for their network and not revive something that already had a proper burial.

What will they reboot next??

Angel? The X-files? Hart to Hart? The Simple Life? Married with Children? Baywatch?

I can see that first one now.

Liam: Life after L.A. starring Taylor Lautner as the brooding ex -vampire with a soul and Lindsay Lohan as his long suffering girlfriend, Buffy.

Together they go around the world, buying up wine vineyards and beating up bad guys.

Co-starring Sean Hayes as Spike.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds??

If we don’t write to the networks and tell them to stop the insanity of reboots, something like that could happen at some point.

Charmed ended and CBS should be reminded of that.

NO REBOOT!!

• The 90210 next generation had Silver, who was Kelly and David’s little sister. But they managed to break up two of the key couples from the original show: David and Donna and Kelly and Dylan. I’m sorry, I would hate that. Mess with Mr. Spelling’s shows, break up Piper and Leo, Phoebe and Coop and whatever. A whole new version of the same thing might work so well. That I’d buy. Why not? I can fall in love again.

• Winter says:

90210 was terrible but then you have Degrassi: Next generation and that was great! I could see watching Wyatt and Chris and the others with a pop in from the 3 ladies from time to time.

• Wray says:

Sounds like you forget what the original 90210 was like. It was basically the same thing, except each episode was an afterschool special. It was so corny, poorly acted, cliché, badly written and funny in a bad way. The only reason many love it is because they grew up with the show and the characters. Now I’m not saying the sequel series wasn’t a mess, but it didn’t ruin anything that wasn’t already ruined in the 90210-verse.

• I didn’t grow up with the original 90210. I watched it all on reruns when I was 14 in 2003. What they ruined were endings for original characters, by bringing them back and breaking up original couples (Kelly and Dylan, David and Donna), that sort of stuff! Would you realy want a Charmed, next generation, to see that Piper and Leo broke up?

Let’s face, Charmed wasn’t the genius acting show. It was corny and messy and the special effects? LOL. But it was wonderful, and lovely and amazing. By continuing an ended story, they could ruin it. By redoing it, they can only try and build that story again, which could work or not. What’s the harm in that?

8. mac says:

as long as they bring back Julian McMahon as Cole I’ll watch

9. Kat says:

this was probably my favorite show back in the day…i don’t think i’d want to see a reboot of the show if the original cast members weren’t on.

10. Ashley says:

Charmed was fantastic. It was one of the great supernatural dramas from The WB before supernatural dramas became about love triangles between two supernatural creatures and a human on The CW. I think Witches of East End is doing a good job so far of filling the void that Charmed left for me. It’s a little silly at times, but overall has a bit of a Charmed feel to it. Leave Charmed be. It’s like Buffy (or anything from The WB era). It’s something you shouldn’t touch.

11. Deion says:

Nope! If not a continuation, I’m not having it. And I want Rose McGowan, Holly Marie Combs, and Alyssa Milano. Nothing else will be acceptable.

• Sage says:

THIS! Whether you liked it or not, etc, when you think Charmed, you think of those actresses. No one replaces those ladies at all!

• Dark says:

I say either continue on with Chris Wyatt and Pages and Phoebes kids for a next generation or maybe even continue on with the grand kids when they ended the serious with Piper as a grandmother thats a possibly. Im not saying thats a huge idea but it could be a possibility for a next Generation of Charmed. I mean I think it is a swell idea because I was such a fan of the show I still am

12. David Metcalfe says:

Charmed is my favourite show of all time moving ahead without considering picking up the show where it left of is unimaginable, charmed on tv without Holly Marie Combs, Alyssa Milano and Rose McGowan should never happen

13. D. says:

I loved the original. I couldn’t whatch other actors be Piper Phoebe Prue or Paige.

14. Choco says:

I loved Charmed and the reboot sounds like a bad idea BUT with the right cast this could work.

15. Bill says:

No No NO, I do not like this idea at all, leave the show be and let it thrive in the comics!

16. Molly says:

No rebooting Charmed. I agree that if they did a show around Wyatt and Chris and their cousins, I would watch that. With the same actors preferably. I loved the guy who played Chris…

17. Steven says:

If it’s good then I’ll be thrilled. If not I’ll pretend it never existed, but the original show saved my life so if I can have a piece of that back in my life then i’ll be happy.

18. Dylan says:

As a huge fan of Charmed, I’m excited, but skeptical. It would all depend on what it was like. I’d love for it to be a continuation, or as said above “next generation”. I’m not sure that I’d like a re-boot of basically the same characters, new actresses, same stories. You don’t touch that. But a continuation, next generation type thing…original actors, sure!

19. Tracy Sims says:

I agree with what the others have mentioned. The should a next generation not a reboot. Enough time has passed, cast Wes and Drew and surround them with up-in-comers and it could be a really good show.

20. I LOVED Charmed, but honestly, not enough time has passed for them to replace the girls with other actresses… people are still dreaming about a Charmed movie, with the original cast…

21. Eli says:

The meeting room at every network in the last year:

“We’ve moved on from zombies, drug dealers and post apocalyptic worlds, plus we already have too many cop shows.”

“Hmm… witches!”

“That’s gold!”

22. Jen says:

Way anyone actually asking for this? I mean it wasn’t the worst thing I ever watched (hi 7th Heaven!) but it wasn’t “OMG AMAZINGGG!” either. I think there should be a rule, if the show is still currently in syndication, then it can’t be rebooted or remade in any form. Weren’t there also rumors last week about a Lost reboot too?

23. Nick says:

Will it have Pru or Paige?

24. Aimee says:

Yep, witches are definitely back in fashion.

25. Todd Miller says:

I have always been a huge fan of Charmed. I would love to see a FEATURE MOVIE made of CHARMED.

26. Ash says:

Could be interesting…with the right cast. I’d be curious to see if they’d go with Prue or Paige.

27. Markus says:

Mixed… Beginning with Season 3, the original Charmed became to much of a soap opera with supernatural elements. If they make the new series more about witches vs. evil, it might become good.

• Trista says:

Like it or not Shannon made that show! When she left – I wasn’t far behind.

• Mary says:

Yes and that’s why it ended after 8 seasons was because Shannon left.

• Bobbi says:

I do not share your opinion, Trista. I still watch it daily but not the ones with Pru, only the Paige storylines. Pru was always so depressing. If it weren’t for Alyssa and Holly I would have quit watching after the first season.

28. Tamara says:

If you’re going to reboot a WB show, at least do Gilmore Girls. I’ve often wished that of all the series’ they bring back, that was one of them. There was a strong and varied enough cast to make it work. I think Lauren Graham is the only one with a regular gig now

• Nunney2584 says:

Uh, Jared Padalecki’s has 9 years of Supernatural under his belt too. Otherwise, I completely agree.

Back to the subject matter, I loved Charmed but it’s seriously too soon. Hell, they’ve only just started airing the back 4 seasons in syndication in the UK. Remaking the show w/o the original cast is gilding the lily a bit. Scratch the surface & all you see is the same old themes & stories, with a new ‘fresh’ cast, who aren’t needed or liked because fans & critics alike will always compare them to the original cast. Not gonna work.
      I really like the idea of them bringing back Wyatt & Chris as adults etc, to create a spin off, rather than a reboot, but can’t see the network going there. They’ll want new ‘pretty’ faces to make the show ‘their own’, which will ultimately fail for the reason above. The fans don’t WANT new faces – Milano, Combs & McGowen (& Doherty) are the Charmed ones. Always will be. And there’s nothing the network can do about that unless you’re talking 20 years down the line when the show finishes airing in syndication on TNT & they have a new audience to cater for.

Either way, this is just further proof that Hollywood’s become too damn lazy to come up with new shows and films. It’s always remakes, reboots, spin offs & blatant ripping off other successful projects, be it films or tv. Are there no new ideas in the biz called show any more?!

29. Estee Thomas says:

I’d be willing to check this out but if it doesn’t meet up to the original I wouldn’t keep watching

30. Matt M. says:

Please explain to me how a supernatural serialized drama would fit on a network full of cheaply-produced, stereotypical, run-of-the-day, copy-cat “buddy cop” procedurals…

31. Gusar says:

HELL NO!

Charmed is my second favorite show of all times (the first is Buffy). No way they will able to recreate what made the original so great. Charmed wasn’t about witches. It was about family. The witch stuff was just the surface (that’s why Buffy is so great too, the vampire stuff was just the surface). Then add the chemistry between the girls, their mother, their badass grandmother…

Them even thinking about a potential reboot makes me filled with rage. INTENSE RAGE!!

32. Kittypotts85 says:

Seriously first we get a Hawaii 5-0 reboot – (which I kinda like) then an Ironside reboot that clearly didn’t work, now news of a new Murder, She wrote and to top it all of they want to reboot Charmed (one of my fave all-time series) 8 years after it went of air! What next?!?!? A Diagnosis Murder or Quincey M.E. reboot? Come on network bods – get it together! :-(

• Kittypotts85 says:

*off air

• Mary says:

At least the series that have been rebooted so far have been off the air much longer than Charmed.

• Kittypotts85 says:

That is very true – there is just no need for a Charmed reboot unless they were progress it to the next gen and get Drew Fuller and Wes Ramsey back as a link to the original show. Anything other than that is pointless and bound to get cancelled quickly.

• Hawaii Five-0 is actually one of the reasons I’m pro reboots. It’s very well done, being faithful to the original, but up-to-date to out time and place. It’s awesome!

• david says:

For every successful reboot there are a million that fail. Just look Melrose place. and Hawaii five-0 started really strong but seems to have lost its way (and that’s not just my opinion)

33. sladewilson says:

Charmed had one of the most perfect endings in recent television history. Why mess with that? Unless they’re going to pull some futuristic scenerio, forget it and move on…

34. Mark says:

Maddening is definitely the right word. There are lots of good stories to reboot or relaunch without devolving a franchise that’s this recent (and that had, itself, droned on a year or so beyond it’s steam). One has to hope that this is only the mental burp of an untalented bureaucrat trying to capitalize on the mild success of the other *current* shows listed in the article. Really stupid idea, imo. (Even if the execution were to be brilliant, I can’t help but think it would be helped by such a recent rehash. We’re now living in a world where the network with the oldest demographic is considering a reboot for 30-somethings to relive their 20-somethings?)

35. CHARMED!!! says:

Not being funny, but they need to have the original cast to pull it off successfully I think, and if they do manage it, it will have to be for a really good reason since they actually closed the charmed legacy. If they were to make it about the next generation, but still center it around the girls, I think that they can make it work.

36. Will says:

Next thing you know they’ll do a reboot of The WB’s Roswell… oh wait The CW already has *cough* Star Crossed *cough*

• Jj says:

Agreed. Except the CW show is a cheap half assed version instead of an outright reboot. But still. Doesn’t matter anyways. They’ll never live up to Roswell’s greatness!

37. Julie says:

Charmed was one of my favorite shows. I would love a reboot but ONLY if I see that Holly Marie Combs is involved. Charmed isn’t Charmed without Piper, Leo, and their family :)

38. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    EVERYONE is doing a reboot/remake. SERIOUSLY??? Have we truly run out of original ideas? I need some to take a risk on something new because just because people loved it before doesn’t mean they are going to love it now see Ironside, Knight Rider, Melrose Place, Bionic Woman, Charlie’s Angels, etc. Do I need to go on?

• Nunney2584 says:

And that doesn’t even include the dreadful remakes of films (or remakes of tv shows disguised into films.) *cough* 21 Jump Street, Tron, Godzilla, The Wicker Man, The Mechanic, the 90s film version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for example*cough* ;-)

Don’t even get me started on the films they’re planning on remaking in the future – the very thought of them remaking Stephen King’s ‘It’, Carrie, Poltergeist, Escape From New York & my childhood favourites Jumanji (hey, I was 10, that film was epic to a 10 year old!), & Short Circuit (stop judging me, I said I was a kid, damnit, lol!) makes me rage.
      That said, at least those films are all at least 15 – 20 years old. What exactly is the point in remaking Hitman (Or ‘Agent 47′ without Olyphant as they’re now calling it), The Mummy, xXx, Van Helsing, Fantastic Four, or Daredevil so soon after the originals? (Although, some might ask what was the point in some of those in the first place, lol. Except Hitman. Because Olyphant always gets a pass. ;-) )
      Oh look, I got started, lol. Sorry. :-D

39. Brandy says:

I loved Charmed & like witch shows so I would try it but Ihope they don’t ruin the Charmed legacy and the cast & scripts has to be right .Im watching Witches of East now.

• Wes says:

I Love charmed and miss the show. It did get a little soapy at times for me in the later seasons. I, however do not agree with a new charmed series recast and starting at the beginning all over again, I do agree and would love to see charmed continued with Pipers kids taking the torch so to speak star trek next generation style or whatever. For it work for me Milano, Combs and Mcgowan(weakest link but integral) should be making regular appearances on the show as they guide there kids, maybe stepping in now an then to help but center the stories around the kids lives for the most part with perhaps flashbacks to the original show. Keep seing Hawaii five-O mentioned and it is a next gen version albiet using same character names which I thought stupid so I don’t watch it, didn’t care for original doesn’t matter. If done it must not be center on the original sisters but the kids or …..

Saw posts above about new ideas and hating reboots etc…Reboots are not bad if the continue or how about this idea I had…They could Start from the beginning of the charmed line and have the show center around Melinda Warren and her coven and the beginning of the line with flash forwards rather than flashbacks…that could be interesting as well, perhaps the first charmed ones born from melinda warren fighting and learning and writing the book of shadows thru out time…Hows that for an idea outside the box guys..??

• Wes says:

Oh and btw, just because media etc calls something a reboot does not necessarily mean rehashing, they called star trek next generation, enterprise, and voyager reboots when in fact they were all just based off original but continuations of the original premise with new characters etc. As long as they continue it or look to the past and keep continuity and get same cast as bonus it would be great. Knight Rider mentioned above was a next gen as well that I believe was starting to get better but NBC had the show and NBC sux because they tend to give up on shows at the drop of a hat which is why NBC has nothing much to watch on its network. If they stuck with it I think the writing could have gotten better and hence the show. If this goes forward just be glad NBC is n ot at the reigns!! lol…So guys tell me what you think about my ideas on Charmed..The original series could be used to create a number of spinoff type shows too about other characters that were on it. At any rate I have ideas on episodes for a new charmed as I type this…lol…hell I could write them…:)

40. I can’t with this. I love this show. Why can’t they just do a reunion movie/show?

41. kchamley says:

It’s been 7 years. It doesn’t need a reboot! If anything have a continuation series. Following the kids in the future or something. Absolutely no to a remake.

42. Anna says:

My question is what kind of reboot is it? Will it be starting the show off from the beginning, with three sisters discovering they are witches? Or, will it be a reboot like Dallas, where is it just continuing the storyline from the previous series? I would love to watch the show if it was Chris, Wyat, and the other children fighting demons and such but I think the show ended wonderfully for the sisters and they shouldn’t change it.

43. Burn it! Burn it on the stake!

44. david says:

omg enough is enough, there needs to be someone in Hollywood who will set a limit. With charmed it hasn’t even been 10 years yet. Whats next? Angel, Buffy, Roswell, Felicity? Maybe bewitched and i love Lucy should be redone. Come up with something new.

• Ray says:

CW has already rebooted Roswell for all essential purposes. The show is called Star Crossed and will debut in early 2014. It looks dreadful.

45. Ava says:

CBS is the wrong network for a Charmed reboot. CBS didn’t so Moonlight justice nor will it do justice to a show about witches.

46. david says:

Guys and girls lets pitch a great idea for Dexter reboot lol its been a month.

47. Cory says:

I think this could be better than Charmed…actually it probably WILL even if it sucks. Charmed was a great concept, not such a great show in reality. If they could make it at least a little more serialized and not just vanquish demons every single week I will watch it.

48. Tran 2.0 says:

I voted for “maddening”. What is CBS thinking? One bad idea after another.