Eliza Coupe to Star in USA Network Pilot Benched

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Eliza coupe house of liesOh Happy day: Eliza Coupe is once again bringing her comedy chops to TV.

The Happy Endings aluma has been tapped to star in Benched, a single-camera project that received a pilot order from USA Network on Wednesday.

RELATED | Covert Affairs Bosses Preview Annie’s ‘Darker Life,’ Surprising Allies and More

From executive producers Michaela Watkins (Trophy Wife) and Damon Jones (The Groundlings), as well as Mark Gordon (Grey’s Anatomy) and Andrea Shay (Family Tools), the sitcom centers on a career-driven attorney who loses out on a promotion, suffers a nervous breakdown and rebounds as a public defender.

Party Down creator John Enbom will serve as showrunner and executive producer.

Coupe — who most recently co-starred on ABC’s ill-fated Happy Endings and portrayed Will Arnett’s ex on CBS’ The Millers — will next recur on Season 3 of Showtime’s House of Lies.

Comments (19)

• Hey USA. Know what other show you could and should have picked up, that also involves Coupe?

Comment by Eric – October 23, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, good one. But at least she’s not having her talents go wasted! Hope the show is good because I like having her on my tv set :)

Comment by schu – October 23, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this deal includes a Trophy Wife pickup.

Comment by Jo – October 23, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Fernando – October 23, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still don’t get why people like that show. The jokes are tame, the kids can’t act, and the adults (other than Whitford, who is truly excellent in everything he does) aren’t given very much to do. It’s as if all they said was:

Akerman, be cute. Harden, be a hardass. Watkins, be crazy. Morales, be boozy. They’re all good actors, but only Harden seems to rise above the poor material.

Comment by Zach – October 23, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still miss Happy Endings :(

Comment by JC – October 23, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will always miss Happy Endings :(

Comment by Liz S. – October 23, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what she said.

BOOM.

Comment by Amy – October 23, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously couldn’t find a better picture of her than her doing some slutty pose?

Its nice to see her get a new gig, I have liked her since Scrubs. Happy Endings deserved more.

Comment by jericho – October 23, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or is every USA show about either Lawyers, Criminals, Doctors, or Detectives?

Comment by Elle – October 23, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you meant to say “Is it just me or is EVERY show on EVERY network about either Lawyers, Criminals, Doctors, or Detectives?”

Comment by eddie – October 23, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodness I love her. I’d like to see her guest star on Psych while she is on USA. She and Shawn would be hilarious together. Jane and Brad will always be my favorite TV married couple

Comment by A – October 23, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jane and Brad are TV Hall of Fame level great. I will miss them forever.

Comment by Paul – October 24, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • damn she would be perfect for psych.

Comment by Alan – October 24, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew she wouldn’t be away from TV for too long. I don’t even care what the show is about I will watch it because of her!

Comment by Aimee – October 24, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad she got a lead role in a new show. hope it gets pickup.

Comment by Joey – October 24, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems most of the “supporting” actors from ‘Happy Endings’ got work immediately. Good for them. I mean, Adam Pally is practically playing straight Max on ‘The Mindy Project’.

Comment by Hipster – October 24, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post