The Voice Recap: 'Forgive? Sounds Good. Forget? I’m Not Sure I Could.' [Updated]

Juhi George Horga The Voice - Season 5We interrupt your regularly scheduled The Voice recap with a Public Service Announcement about Adam Levine‘s Battle Rounds Rehearsal Beard™: Dude, you can put on a hideous Hawaiian shirt and allow your carefully manicured stubble to devolve into a mangy mess, but it does not negate your hotness. It’s entirely possible, however, that your common sense, taste level and critical ear may have been moderately damaged by said errant mane.

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers from Big Bang, Scandal, SVU, Arrow, Good Wife, Mindy and More!

How else to explain why Season 5 of NBC’s reality singing juggernaut is continuing without Team Adam’s megatalented Matt Cermanski — that tone! that range! that dreamy smile! — a truly vexing injustice compounded by Mr. Levine’s mistreatment last week of the equally fabulous Donna Allen?

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 6: Weigh in on the Highly Unexpected Results!

What’s worse, the aforementioned Rehearsal Beard of Doom appears to be interfering with the decision-making abilities of the two coaches in closest proximity to Adam. Cee Lo choosing George Horga Jr. over Juhi? Insanity! Xtina acting like Josh Logan overpowered Michael Lynch? It simply doesn’t compute!

Ah well, everybody knows the Battle Rounds is the place where viewers’ smiles too often go to die. And hey, at least Juhi scored herself a Steal — the first time said veto power has been used in Season 5 to remedy a true Voice injustice.

But enough of my kvetcherie — please give a warm welcome to a new, made-up word, born right in the middle of this recap! — let me jump to a ranking of each of tonight’s Battles from least- to most-promising winner:

6. Team Xtina: Destinee Quinn defeats Lina Gaudenzi on “Not Ready to Make Nice” (Lina stolen by Adam) | I really dug Destinee’s audition, but her emoting on the Dixie Chicks’ angry comeback jam was so overbaked I swore I could smell smoke coming out of the oven. Lina, meanwhile, despite the judges fawning over her technical perfection, sounded flatter than a rolled pie crust on at least half her ad-libs. Plus, her stage presence was about as exciting as melba toast. And now, after making two baking references in this paragraph, I’m gonna be honest and admit I’d rather daydream about carb-heavy confections rather than write another word about two chicas whose Battle is most likely being filed in Mark Burnett’s offices under the tab “Most Likely to Produce ‘Knockout Rounds’ Victims.”

5. Team Xtina: Josh Logan defeats Michael Lynch on “Harder to Breathe” | Cee Lo told Josh his vocal on Maroon 5’s first big hit sounded “almost identical” to Adam Levine, and therein lies the problem: At best, Josh came off like a terrific karaoke-bar performer; at worst (on several of his riffs), his pitch was as unsteady as a newborn fawn on a skating rink. Sure, Michael’s awkward dancing and slightly disconcerted facial expression didn’t exactly scream “future Season 5 champ,” but I appreciated his melodic choices and vocal clarity. How Blake and Adam interpreted all that as Josh “overpowering” Michael remains one of the episode’s biggest mysteries.

4. Team Cee-Lo: George Horga Jr. defeats Juhi on “Best I Ever Had” (Juhi stolen by Adam) | Let’s be honest: Matinee-idoly George could’ve easily come from the same factory that produced those One Direction and The Wanted dolls, and he hit all but two or three of the notes on Gavin DeGraw’s rollicking ditty. But while the kid’s got an inspiring, go-getter story and a great attitude (I loved how excited he got after realizing Juhi had been stolen), his performance was more solid than spectacular. Juhi, meanwhile, gave my fave performance of the episode. Like Xtina noted, the unimonikered teen’s “cool inflections” and masterful phrasing — tossing off certain lines, cranking up the grit on “Hey, Carolina” — was mesmerizing. But Cee Lo, perhaps misunderstanding the point of the show is to reward the best vocalists, seemed put off by Juhi — at the tender age of 16 — wondering if her future should be built around music or academics (an uncertainty I found as refreshing as brushing my teeth first thing in the morning). I thought both Adam and Xtina were going to slam their buttons and go in for the Steal, but seeing how capriciously they’ve been used this season, I’ll just be thankful she got one coach to give her a second chance.

3. Team Adam: James Irwin defears Matt Cermanski on One Republic’s “Counting Stars” | Don’t get me wrong: I feel like both James and Matt have enough potential to be serious contenders to inherit Danielle Bradbery’s crown and sash (so to speak). But given Matt’s palpable passion, hypnotic falsetto and groovy stage presence throughout “Counting Stars,” I was certain Adam was going to hand him the win — or that at a minimum, Xtina or Cee Lo would come through with a Steal. To be fair to James, he’s no slouch in the charisma department, either, but as Adam noted in rehearsal, there’s a sense he could perhaps dig a little deeper emotionally (not to mention iron out the occasional wobbles in pitch when at the ends of certain lines). Now, alas, dude has the added pressure of being labeled “The One Who Robbed Us of Matt Cermanski.” For his sake, let’s hope he does something jaw-dropping enough in the Knockouts to redefine himself in a more appealing fashion.

2. Team Blake: Austin Jenckes defeats Brian Pounds on the Bee Gees’ “To Love Somebody” | This wasn’t much of a Battle, but at least we got Cher doling out very specific, very actionable advice to both dudes — and further proving the point I made last week that NBC ought to add her to the coaching rotation should Blake or Adam need to take off a season. Brian struggled to maintain power and control throughout the song — methinks nerves (and the knowledge he wasn’t ever beating Austin) contributed to his woes. Austin, meanwhile, showcased a warm, rich tone and a heartfelt delivery that the ballad away from its disco-falsetto origins and into more of a Joe Cocker soul-rock jam. Cher may have told Brian to go “balls to the wall,” but it’s ultimately Austin who heeded her brassy instructions.

1. Team Adam: James Wolpert defeats Will Champlin on Imagine Dragons’ “Radioactive” (Will stolen by Xtina) | James and Will definitely benefitted from getting a raucous, completely current jam that allowed ‘em to fire up the crowd, and like last week’s Matthew-vs-Jacob showdown, the guys both maintained pretty stellar pitch despite bouncing around the stage with appealing abandon. I didn’t envy Adam having to call a winner, though, as this was perhaps the episode’s closest matchup. Will really stepped up his vocal game, nailing nearly every note and taking some big, rangey risks, even if his literal brow-wipe and not-entirely-distinctive tone proved somewhat problematic. James, for his part, wasn’t as spotless as his rival, but his stylized phrasing and inherent grittiness were hard not to dig (even if his green sweater and mid-’90s accountant shirt proved too precious by half). Xtina did Adam her second big favor of the night — after picking “Harder to Breathe” for a Battle — by pulling Will off the scrap heap. Now the question becomes, will she pair him against Josh in the Knockouts?

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of tonight’s Battle Rounds? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ decisions on Battle wins or Steals? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jim says:

Bring out Holly Henry! She’s who I’m waiting to see!

• David says:

Me three!

• Lumplestilskin says:

I get the feeling that girl’s a one-trick pony. Like Lindsay Pavao before her, I don’t think she’ll make it all the way.

• Lindsey Pavao was a one trick pony? Say Aah was this weird coffee house version of a club song, Heart Shaped Box was turned into this haunting song, she turned Somebody I Used to Knew into a trip-hop song, and Skinny Love was nice, sweet performance. Sure Part of Me was a bad performance but even that was flipped into a new wave track. Lindsey had plenty of tricks up her sleeve.

And you should really hold off calling Holly a one trick pony to at the very least her second performance (and even then, Battle Rounds can be bad representation of an artist). Having seen her YouTube channel I will say she is in no way a one trick pony. And even if Holly were a one trick pony, what did did with The Scientist was one heck of a trick and better than anyone else’s trick this season.

2. Laura says:

I enjoy that my favorites, who were ranked very low on the blind auditions recaps, are now getting higher and higher!

3. Kaba says:

Facts about tonight:
    Will was the real winner in his battle
    CeeLo hit levels of stupid only Christina has hit (season 3, De’Borah..never forget)
    CeeLo WILL regret this
    Juhi has been wronged

Facts about this season:
    My faith in Christina has been restored. I’ve hardly disliked any of her battles
    Donna Allen (never forget)
    Timyra-Joi (we will never forget)
    Briana Cuoco is cruising on fame
    Holly Henry will not be enough for Blake to win
    CeeLo is stupid
    Juhi…JUHIIIIII

• Cassandra says:

Happy to see I’m not the only one who stills holds a grudge over the elimination of De’Borah.

• MC says:

Shouldn’t you wait until you see Holly Henry on Tuesday? Have you checked her YouTube stuff?
      If you haven’t, you’re in for a surprise.

• Kaba says:

I actually HAVE seen her youtube stuff. And like I said, she isn’t going to be enough to get a win.
        Sooooo many people on equal footing

• MC says:

I think Holly is more advanced because she has a sharper, more defined musical identity. I also just prefer her pitch, clarity and tonality. Juhi is very much a work in progress, as even Adam conceded. However, the voters have often disagreed with me in the past (although I was totally on board with Danielle).

• David says:

I’m a big fan of Holly, and — although I’m not really a country music fan — I was also on board with Danielle last season. I expect Holly will be around for a while.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed on De’Borah , but Juhi seriously sucked tonight. Wasn’t crazy about her blind audition and I actually had to mute my tv during that horrendous battle round. Both of them were painfully bad. If it weren’t for the steal (?!?!?!), that round would have been montage feeder.

• Kaba says:

Juhi is certainly an acquired taste. But oh my God I’d rather have someone who knows they have a weird style and loves to work with it than some lame downgrade of Josiah Hawley and Dez Duron

• Tyler says:

To each his own. I loved both of Juhi’s performances and was glad Adam stole her. I always thought she should’ve been on Adam’s team from the start, considering her quirkiness and all that. Plus, IMO she’s an intelligent singer. She knows what she’s doing.

I guess because Blake used up all his steals, I felt the steals were finally being used the way they were meant to be used. The coaches used their steals to fight an injustice: Juhi, Lina and Will. I wish someone had stolen Michael.

I don’t get why Slezak didn’t like Lina. She reminded me of Carrie Underwood. if Blake hadn’t used his steals for Nic and Brianna–he could’ve gotten Lina.

i can see why no one stole Matt. When he suggested to sing part of the song in D minor–I knew he was toast. It proved he wasn’t a versatile singer unlike James.

• Tyler says:

like James

• Angie_Overrated says:

Second worst battle of the night behind George/Juhi. You can be the greatest singer in the world but if the song is too high or low for your voice, it’s game over. And that song was too high for both of them. Twas truly painful. Unless you’re Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson, or Nate Ruess, never sing notes above the staff. This falsetto nonsense never sounds good (and I’m pointing a finger at you too, Mr. Levine!!!).

• The Beach says:

I like the tone of Juhi’s voice but what it with that weird squeak she does at the end of a line?

• Teeny Bikini says:

CeeLo always does something incredibly dumb on this show. But this was the dumbest.

• No, Eric Martin over the Shields Brother remains Cee-Lo’s dumbest decision ever. But this was second of a very long list.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. I actually remember the The Sheilds Bros. They were fun :) But you are right, it’s a crazy long list….

• Tyler says:

I think Cee-Lo’s dumbest mistake was to let Amanda Brown go.

• HTGR says:

Yeah it was. I bet she’d have made the finale then too since he was having a good record of getting his top females to finish second place. I think he just got scared for a moment to actually turn down a four chair turn, who did do well in the battle, for a one chair turn, who did even better in the battle, especially considering that it had been all guys winning to that point which may have also been in the back of his mind.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, I thought Will actually won too. I’m not that sold on James. The round was good, but didn’t totally blow me away or anything.
      Yeah I was shocked what CeeLo did in the Juhi round. I wasn’t crazy sold on her before, but she did pretty well then and better tonight. That was a puzzler. Like the Amanda Brown decision. This time perhaps he feels Caroline is his one and he didn’t want the complication of Juhi mixing in??
      I didn’t think it was that much of a mystery that Josh won at all. Or that James beat Matt (who I wasn’t quite as impressed with as in his audition).

• VoiceFan says:

It was actually America’s vote who messed up big time with Deborah…

4. Ansa says:

I really did love Matt in the blinds and I wanted him to win… But when they sang on the battle rounds, James, to me had a fuller voice…I was sad to see Matt go but I had to agree with Adam. I was so Happy Adam got Juhi…Yay! She was so great and I was for James too…overall I was happy with the results.

5. Jordan says:

Cee-Lo isn’t stupid. He heard that battle like we all did and knew that Juhi dominated, he also knew she wasn’t getting off that stage without being stolen. He must see something in George and even if he is just choosing him because he is inspired by his background that’s okay. In fact, it makes me respect Cee-Lo a little more. He gave up a talented singer who is a dark horse to keep someone who he believes in that might not go far. That’s pretty cool.

6. Kes says:

Juhi was a wasted steal and Micheal Lynch wasn’t anything to write home about. I thought Juhi was as awful as George, with the both of them sounding like billy goats. And yes, I preferred Josh, too. Were we really rooting for a faux-latin singer with no authenticity?

• Kaba says:

“Juhi’s a wasted steal”
      my ass :/

• LG says:

I think Slezak is listening with his eyes and not his ears. Next he will compare one of the female contestants to his beloved Haley Reinhart.

• Kes says:

I mean, I just don’t understand. I get the “unique” factor, but when someone is not good, they are not good! And none of the judges commented on how poor the two singers vibrato was. I almost wanted old school Simon Cowell to come on stage. Constructive criticism is all well and good, but for God sake’s, just call it like it is.

• Shawn says:

I didn’t the Juhi love either. I wasn’t sold on her but it gives me respect for Cee Lo picking someone that wants to make music their life and not someone who might go down another path. I got sick of hearing all the other coaches saying “wow you’re only 16″. It’s like first thing she isn’t the first 16 year old to be on this show, and second why isn’t she in school then. I strongly feel that to be on these shows you should be at least 18 with at least a high school diploma. Kids should focus on their education and just be kids.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Word. This. Yes. Most painful pair-up of the night. The dilemma Cee Lo faced was that he had to pick which one sucked worse to boot off his team.

Overall it was def a weaker night with a one or two excellent matchups. The first two eps of battle rounds were really exciting. Tonight was pretty “meh.”

• Teeny Bikini says:

“faux-latin singer” – LOL.

7. EAP says:

I thought Christina chose right: Josh Logan was better than Michael Lynch.

• MC says:

Definitely. I thought Michael Lynch was off his game. I probably would have picked Juhi and Lina in their battles. Adam used his steals productively, although I actually like Lina more than Juhi. I agreed with Adam that James Irwin won over Matt, but both of them have limitations. Will was a good steal for Christina, but James won the battle imo.

8. jour4790 says:

What happens if Ceelo gets fired for his arrest?

9. Francine says:

Juhi- I really liked her blind audition, but her little squeaks during the rehearsal drove me nuts! It bothered me so much that I couldn’t even enjoy her tonight. I was still surprised Cee-Lo didn’t pick her but he obviously sees something in George.

• HTGR says:

She cut almost all of them out for the final battle performance though (thankfully) and the two lesser ones she did in the battle were fine with. In the rehearsal it was a bit over the top though for sure.

• Francine says:

Oh I agree that she cut the bad ones out and sounded much better in the final performance. It just (unfairly I know) still stuck with me. I have nothing against her though.

• The Beach says:

I agree she thankfully cut most of them out but they were so prolific and irritating in rehearsal that I found myself listening for them during her performance, which is not a good thing.

10. JM says:

I don’t get it. Why would Adam put two mediocre singers at best: James and Matt (sorry Michael) against each other and two great singers: James W. and Will against each other? Does not make sense.

I really don’t see what the coaches see in James I. To me, he has no personality, and his voice falls flat.

So happy Christina stole Will!

And I was happy with Adam’s steals too. I have to say that I don’t understand Christina’s and Ceelo’s choices when they chose Destinee and Jorge, but it seems like they went for passion over skill.

I’m worried about the rest of the singers coming tomorrow since there is only one steal left. There are some really good ones, including Preston and Jonny. I will be seriously upset if either one goes home.

• Artlight says:

Well, Christina explicitly said she chose Destinee because she connected better to the song, not because she was better technically.
      Cee Lo though… who knows what he was thinking :S I’m not a big Juhi fan but she totally beat George

• Kevin c says:

Funny…I was thinking almost word for word the same thing except with names swapped. I was annoyed that Adam paired up James and Matt, because that meant one of them had to lose. I would have been happy seeing both of them advance and both James W and Will sent straight home

• HTGR says:

He should have paired one each against Donna and Tessanne!!!!

• Tyler says:

@ JM: It all comes down to the public vote. Adam doesn’t want two singers with a similar style on his team–and I don’t blame him. They’ll probably split votes. Look at what happened last season when he had two power singers on his team. Both Judith and Sara split votes and got sent packing in the same week! I think Adam learned from his mistake. That’s probably why Adam paired up Tessanne with Donna too.

11. David says:

I don’t think it’s a surprise that battle rounds for Preston Pohl and Holly Henry are being delayed. The Voice producers know that both Preston and Holly charted extremely well on iTunes following their blind auditions, and both already have large fan followings. Other than Preston and Holly, only Caroline Pennell has done so well on iTunes — and she’s still on the chart a week after her battle round. It’s early, but it seems these three are the ones to watch.

• I have a sinking suspicion that both Holly and Preston will actually get montaged tonight (especially Preston; Blake has two battles left, and Holly vs. Cilla seems very lopsided and a potential trainwreck). It would be strange and a bit of mismanagement by the show if the two best selling singers from the Blind Audition, and by a large margin, were resigned to a small snippet in the very next round. Even now, Preston is the fifth highest charting song from The Voice and Holly is eighth and it has been a full month since her Blind Audition.

12. Jules says:

If Terrance Howard and George Michael had a baby, he would look exactly like James. Sucks Matt didn’t get stolen but since they don’t show the battles in order of how they were performed at the show/s, maybe no one had any steals left by then. Carson still has to say the singers are available to steal even if no one has any steals left.

13. AJ says:

xtina just showed everybody how to sang! nice mentoring sessions.

14. Johnny says:

DESTINEE vs. LINA: Honestly, I thought they both sounded great, but I preferred Destinee’s tone and emotion. The right woman won here. I think that Lina was a better steal than most of the others, but I question her ability to win.
    JOSH vs. MICHAEL: Michael was more likeable, but vocally I think Josh did a bit better. I don’t think Josh is memorable enough to win, so I was a bit disappointed to see Michael go without a steal.
    GEORGE vs. JUHI: I know this will be unpopular here, but I preferred George to Juhi by quite a bit. Her rehearsal footage was painful to listen to, though the actual battle was much better. I generally like the quirky/raspy-voiced types, but I just don’t really find Juhi appealing yet. George is a Bruno Mars type and has the potential to sing and sell pop music, but I don’t think his is the kind of voice that will win this competition because it’s not big and showy enough.
    JAMES vs. MATT: Going into this battle, Matt was my clear favorite over James. I think James started stronger, but Matt finished stronger. This was, for me, a clear wrong decision by Adam. I hope that James isn’t propelled forward solely because of his backstory, should he make it to the live shows.
    AUSTIN vs. BRIAN: I personally preferred Brian, but it seemed pretty obvious that the judges were all going to go for Austin. Is either one distinctive to win? I don’t think so.
    JAMES vs. WILL: Sure, the juxtaposition between James’ look and voice is pretty neat. But Will creamed him in this battle, in my opinion. Thank goodness Christina took notice and stole him. I find James to be a bit off-putting and awkward, and not in an endearing way like Michelle Chamuel last season.

Ones to Watch from Tonight: Destinee and Will

• Tyler says:

I don’t think James is supposed to be endearing. I think he is going for the Morrissey persona. Otherwise why did he sing a Jack White song? Jack White is not endearing. But that’s why I like James–he’s talented and different.

15. Ron says:

While I think Juhi easily won that battle (3 seconds in, and I cringed in horror when I heard George hit that dreaded note), by the end I said how both of them showed their youth and inexperience in that performance. Neither were anything to write home about.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Michael Lynch, but if you listen to that particular battle, Josh did actually win. I wasn’t crazy about how Josh started the song, but from the middle on, Josh killed it and took the win. Not sure what Slezak was listening to.

I’ll miss Matt C. I think he and James I. were on equal footing in the battle. And going forward, I actually think Matt has (had) more potential and range than James. I think it was the wrong choice.

Will’s loss over James W. is also a little questionable. Admittedly, I liked James’ audition better than Will’s. But in this particular battle, I agreed with everything Christina said about Will. Overall — and more consistently — Will’s voice was better. It was a good steal for Christina. Despite what Slezak seems to be putting out there this week, I think Christina’s only real mistake so far was advancing Destinee. Destinee lost that battle and should have left. Other than that, Christina has pretty much been on point with her ear and what she’s been hearing and with her choices — other than Destinee. Did I mention Destinee lost that battle?

• HTGR says:

I think Xtina even made the right choice when it came to Destinee too. Her two steals were not bad.
      I was pretty much OK with everything that happened tonight (other than wishing a few of the weaker ones had paired been with some stronger who went home last week).

16. ASDF says:

I’m baffled as to why Cee-Lo kept George Horga. He clearly isn’t in the same league as the other singers.

17. Annie says:

I personally did not like Juhi. Yeah, she’s unique and interesting or whatever, but it just sounded a little artificial and, at certain points, was painful to listen to. George seems like he has some potential, but neither seem even top 12 material.

As for the Destinee and Lina’s battle, I totally agree. Destinee overdid it with the “emotion” and none of it was even slightly believable.

I am actually so angry about Matt. His audition was one of my favourites this season

18. Francine says:

DESTINEE/LINA-I thought they both did a good job. Lina was not flat but Destinee did come across a little over-the-top. I dont know if it was her look or what, but it seemed a little comical to me. I was fine with either one winning though and think Lina was at least a solid steal.

MATT/JAMES- I completely disagree with this. “The one who robbed us of Matt Cermanski”- is that comment for real? This is the first time reading your recap so I don’t know what your style is…. But while Matt’s blind audition was good, he just wasn’t as good as James was tonight. I did want someone to steal him though and was pretty disappointed. But I don’t think loss was some great injustice or anything.

JUHI/GEORGE- George was solid but not particularly memorable. Juhi seems to be an acquired taste.

JOSH/MICHAEL- Again I don’t get your comments. Josh was not off-pitch and should have won this one.

AUSTIN/BRIAN- By far the easiest decision of the night. Austin for sure.

JAMES/WILL- Honestly I hated this song choice. They both seeme so out of place singing it, which sometimes can be a good thing, but I don’t think it was in the case. I enjoyed James’ blind audition more than Will’s, but Will did better on this one and should have won. Since he got stolen though I won’t complain.

These are just my rambling thoughts. Others are free to disagree :)

19. Misilin says:

I was surprised by Adam’s decision, because James wouldn’t have been his obvious pick but Will. I guess he is really desperate to win this season and decide to go for an under dog. considering the level of talent he had last season and still lost, who can blame him. Will is one of my favorite this season after Tessane.

20. Titina says:

I am so so sad MAtt Cermanski is not going to the next round!
    What was Adam thinking??? I am really pissed off. He totally deserved to go on, and while James did well too, come on! Matt won that battle! His tone!! Ugh. So disappointed in Adam´s choices..

21. Chris says:

I can see how Josh was called out as the stronger vocalist, but Michael is definitely talented. I recall Josh’s performances from his stint on reality show “Rockstar Supernova”. He has a lot of soul to his voice, and he has definitely improved vocally over the years.

I’m yet to hear anyone that’s struck me as a “winner”… They all have strong teams! It’ll be a good season.

I’m glad CeeLo is back and Christina’s “refreshed”.

22. CM. says:

No that I was a fan of George’s performance, but I find Juhi’s voice to be too shrill, and can’t really stand hearing it. I get that she is trying to do, but it’s just not working for me.

I disagree about Josh and Michael. I though Josh sounded pretty solid.

Matt C was not robbed. Both him and James sounded pretty weak. Honestly I would have gone either way, they were both so blank. I’d be surprised if either of them would have lasted the next round.

23. VoiceFan says:

I thought the best battle was between Josh Logan and Michael…

24. Pat says:

Juhi sucked. There, I said it.

25. Totally disagree about Josh Logan and Michael’s battle – Josh has a killer voice! One of my favorites in the whole competition. And seeing as how he looks at least a couple years older than Adam, I don’t think for one minute he is a copycat. He just hasn’t had his big break yet – hopefully this is it!

26. jeremy.hudson says:

Destinee vs Lina – I thought they both did a great job. Not spectacular but still good. I can totally understand the save for Lina but I think she would go further in Blake’s team than Adam. Besides, am I the only one freaked out by Destinee’s facial expressions?
    Matt /James – I didn’t dig the song choice very much. It is a very difficult song to sing. Obviously, both of them couldn’t handle the song. However, I still prefer Matt.
    Juhi/Geprge – George was solid but forgettable. Juhi needs to learn how to control her quirkiness. It comes off irrating to my ear sometimes.
    Josh/Michael – My favorite battle of the night! They can totally groove with the song but I’m still angry that no one saves Michael. I really like the tone of his voice.
    Austin/Brian – I don’t care. They’re just cannon fodders.
    James/Will – The same with Counting Stars, this song choice is hideous.

27. Is anyone else sort of annoyed by Michael Slezak’s critiques for “The Voice?” I feel like I am always agreeing with him when it comes to his “American Idol” commentary, but I feel like he judges the contestants on this show with totally different criteria.

Josh Logan’s voice is FASTICALLY cool and soulful, with a much more distinctive tone than Michael Lynch. Matt Cermanski is totally cute, but his voice is pretty average and there’s no way he could have won the show. Lina actually sounded pretty awesome in my opinion. Does Slezak know what “flat” actually means? Her vocals were pretty spot on, except for a few *tiny* shaky moments at the very end of the song. I don’t understand how you can be so quick to point out certain singers’ pitch problems (e.g. Josh and Lina) while completely ignoring others (e.g. Matt) just because they’re cute.

Okay end of rant hehe. Does anyone see what I mean?!?!

• Pat says:

Yup, I feel the same way, I usually give him a pass because he’s such a fan of Haley Reinhart (who is awesome), but he comes off way too sure of his opinions ALL OF THE TIME on stuff that’s way too subjective or just flat out incorrect. Josh Logan killed Michael Lynch. Juhi sounded horrible. Caroline Pennel is utterly mediocre. Matt Cermanski is too. Donna Allen was completely unmarketable and probably rightfully eliminated. Grey is really good and he disregards her like she’s Shannon Magrane/Lazaro Arbos/Jacob Lusk all in one. He’s definitely a favorite picker when it comes to The Voice, and he fights for them regardless of whether they’re the better singer or not.

• sophie says:

ITA, I don’t know what changed but I never agree with him anymore. He has his favorites and is not objective, like overpraising Donna Allen and Juhi but overlooking some real promising talents like Josh.

28. hblanjr says:

I think they wasted a steal on Juhi! Can’t stand her voice and squeaking inflections. Cee Lo made the right choice.

29. TxVoice says:

Overall not an exciting night to watch as most battle’s were ‘meh. Cee-lo not picking Juhi i have to wonder 1) did her attitude about the song selection bleed over into rehearsals more than we saw and made Cee-Lo mad? Cause she was clearly not happy about that choice. 2) Cee-lo already has Caroline who does what juhi tries only better, so it made sense to dump her

30. pfoggy says:

I was really hoping we would see a first on the Voice and Xtina would dump BOTH Destinee Quinn and Lina Gaudenzi. Man that was painfully boring to sit through. They were equally and completely non-memorable in every way possible other than the ability to bat their overly glittered eyelids. Talk about picking the lesser of two evils….

31. MamaLis says:

I actually totally agree with Michael on the Matt thing! He was SO darling! OMG. When no one pushed their buttons for him I was BLOWN away. Adam seems girl-heavy on his team anyway. And even though Will seems like he might have autistic tendencies, like something he’s all but conquered since childhood, I really enjoyed his performance and agreed that he “brought it!!” To me, he was all-in during that performance and it was great.

One last thing – Christina seems night & day from last year. WAY more interested, humble, helpful, fun, and certainly tolerable.

32. Darren says:

To Love Somebody was recorded and released by The Bee Gees on their 1st album in 1967. Long before disco and long before the falsetto style used in the late ’70s. The song in fact was recorded with a soul/rock vibe and was actually written for Otis Redding, who died before recording it.

33. HTGR says:

Dang it all, they actually did do it! They montage Holly! First we get Preston and loved him in the audition and loved him in the battle so the night was getting good and then “and we also had moving on….”. Oh come on man, you montage Holly?? She was one of the ones I think most people were watching all these battle rounds just to see!

• HTGR says:

Simply not doing the ENDLESS previews and reviews before and after every commercial break would’ve left time for it, never mind skipping half the other nonsense stuff.

• David says:

I’m surprised they put Holly in the montage, given that she is one of this season’s best performers on iTunes. Perhaps the match-up wasn’t much of a contest. It will be interesting to see if Holly appears on the iTunes charts on Wednesday, even though jsut about no one heard or saw the battle.

• HTGR says:

I just remembered though, this stuff was all taped earlier, so they don’t have a clue that people like Holly (or Preston) have done better on iTunes. Sure as heck hope she survives knockouts (and she’s gotten be stolen if not). I’m sure if it wasn’t taped ahead there is no way she wouldn’t be safe, but it was. Blake usually protects the young blonde ones well though, although I still sorta feel like CeeLo maybe would’ve served her better or even Adam, but we’ll see, so long as she ends up a Blake favorite, she might be fine for a long, long time.
        Apparently it has often served them poorly if they don’t get shown this week, other than for Cassaddee, although perhaps her fanbase got her through the first live round of voting.
        I liked CeeLo’s…. oops I better keep results for the other thread to not spoil (although the show basically gives it away anyway well before it’s over).

• pcacala says:

Well, it’s Wednesday and she’s peaked at 89 on the Pop charts without even getting her singing aired. The many Hollowers out there are on an iTunes buying spree. She is the only contestant to register a major rebound with a rebroadcast of their audition song. We’ll see her on a episode repeat Thursday, Oct. 23rd. Rebound #2? Wouldn’t it be a refreshing change of pace for NBC to edit their rebroadcasts and give more airtime to those who got montaged, like Holly and especially Cilla? Mr. Slezak, have you ever seen that happen?