Ratings: The Good Wife Does Better, Once Ties Low, SNF Eyes a 15-Year High

Outside The BubbleCBS’ The Good Wife – which has been firing on all cylinders (and only gets better next Sunday) — this week enjoyed a ratings uptick, rising two tenths in the demo (to a 1.4) and gaining 6 percent in total audience (with 9 million viewers).

Opening the Eye’s night (per preliminary numbers c/o CBS), The Amazing Race (9 mil/1.9) rose 11 percent in audience while flat in the demo. The Mentalist (7.3 mil/1.2), however, dropped 20 percent in total viewers and a tenth in the demo as it eliminated at least one more Red John suspect.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Die Another Day

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (7 mil/2.0) fell 17 percent in the demo to tie its series low, Revenge (6.1 mil/1.5) dipped one tenth and Betrayal (3.6 mil/0.9) actually inched up a tenth.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: Time to Pay the Piper

NBC Sunday Night Football’s coverage of the Broncos-Colts game averaged 26 mil and a 9.5 demo rating, and per overnights stands as the highest-rated October primetime match-up in 15 years (since Vikings-Packers, 10/5/98).

1. megan says:

Every single TV critic I follow on twitter has said next week’s TGW is really something. Teases! Can’t wait to see it. Wonder how it can even top last night’s!

2. Sparky says:

Holy crap…can’t wait for next weeks Good Wife!!! Such emotion when Will says you were poison!!!

3. iMember says:

Absolutely excited for REVENGE next week! Last nights episode and this seasons so far has just been so amazing!

4. shuayb says:

I hope Peter decks Will so badly that he cries like the b!t&% he is. He is a poison and I sincerely hope gardner and associates gets eaten up by Florrick and Associates. :)

• DL says:

Yeah I have to admit that while I don’t love Peter (I wish he could express himself better instead of just shooting creepy looks all the time), I will take him any day over Will. I’m tired of Will Gardner! I want to see him make a definitive antagonist turn and be Alicia’s adversary now.

5. J.J. Sawyer Phillips says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I could NOT get my dvr to work properly! Missed ONCE, so it makes me super bummed to hear about the ratings drop, because so far the season has NOT disappointed!

6. G_ashley23 says:

THE GOOD WIFE. best show on tv. period. That Will and Alicia scene will be amazing, love their relationship. The fine line between love and hate is sooo enticing to watch. Robert and Michelle King deserve more praise for their incredible work, as does Julianna and the cast.

7. Christian says:

Watch The Good Wife and Homeland back to back and it’s like night and day. I dare the emmy to pass this brilliant show up over that piece of dreck again! Heads will roll!

8. Joe says:

Revenge has improved so much since last season, hopefully they can get viewers back , but having so many hit shows and sports on, I don’t think it’s going to happen , they need to move it back to Wednesday put Nashville on Tuesday and move scandal to Sunday

• DL says:

My guess is Revenge will score one more renewal to bring up the episode count for syndication, and that next season will be the last.

• Patrick says:

Maybe. The market for hour long dramas isn’t great. There simply aren’t a lot of buyers. Local affiliates don’t buy up hour long dramas. That leaves the cable channels. And they are bad to want to buy up properties that are also owned by their corporate parent, which means they can get them on the cheap.

9. Kim R says:

The Good Wife is must see for Sunday night! My husband and I kept saying to each other…what is Alicia doing leaving the firm with those “kids”. She would be fine with Cary but those other boys are trouble. She is so much better and more professional. I can’t wait until next week! :)

• S. Austin says:

You know my husband and I said the same thing. Why is Alicia setting up shop with those immature Associates? A real bad move!

10. jerrired says:

It’s sad Once and Revenge aren’t doing so hot in the ratings. Both shows have been really good this season so far.

• Stormy says:

I know it all boils down to revenue, but I wish all sports were relegated to sports channels. It isn’t just football. My local network channels pre empt prime time shows for high school tournaments, college games etc.. This includes all sports, basketball, football, swimming, gymnastics etc.

• Ginger Snap says:

Listen, I am a Broncos Fan, but I tuned out of the game pretty early and switched to OUAT. Couldn’t stand the way they were playing, and OUAT is telling a great story right now. This will be the last conflict I have with the Sunday Night Football until November, and I’m more intrigued with the story that OUAT is telling. Revenge? Not so much. I usually gather up a 10 or so episodes of that show at a time and get caught up. But I don’t set aside time on Sunday night to watch.

11. Shiloh says:

This week’s “Good Wife” was truly a great piece of work and the promo for next week’s looks even better. It heartily deserved the uptick in ratings. :)

12. JC says:

Interesting that OUAT was down 0.4 in the demo (it was 2.4 last week in the finals). That’s quite a drop week to week for an established show. Hit by football? Or are viewers not reacting well to the Neverland arc?

• Jen says:

People are sick of Rumpel and his ~issues? i know I am, I mean now he apparently has daddy issues? He’s been alive for hundreds of years, I think that’s plenty of time to get over it.

• ugh these people says:

it dropped for 0,5 mil viewers just as the previous episode. does it mean that these people are sick of regina issues? I mean how many times we have to see how hard headed she is to kill snow and how snow don’t want to kill anyone. people are leaving with every episode it’s a fact. so far it’s because writers work only for captain swan, regina and charmigs fanbases. people are sick of them so they leave. and I was tired of nvl by 2nd episode. it’s dark and depressing and hopeless. I want characters I grow to love in season 1, not these twisted and completely different not likable characters. I want storybrooke I want fairytales characters in our world. I want fairytales not THE LORD OF THE FLIES dammit. I didn’t sign for it.

• rina says:

rumple is the most popular male character in this show fyi. so no, not that. regina has mommy issues as well and he is like what 70 years? she had time to get over it too. actually I’m sick of their pseudo psychological issues. the writers are not that good to make it believable. they screwed everything last season. damage is done. people are leaving. they only way is down. at least now I will know better than to start watching another show written by kitis and horowitz. they are horrible.

• Jus says:

Hard to say. But I think that huge footbal game definitely stole some demo points.

13. Boiler says:

How can you possibly take anything from these ratings with the way CBS screws up the nght with such odd start times? Viewers habits must be different. Also NBC has had some good matchups this year in football which will go away after beginning of the year. Guessing that is when the real picture emerges

14. I do not watch The Mentalist, but I feel for it’s followers on the East Cost. I am not surprised it’s numbers were down so much. I did not start here until 10:45 because of football!

• Stormy says:

Same here. Thank goodness for ABC and PBS!

• Re: delays says:

I actually managed to watch the episode last night even though it was delayed by a half hour. Tired though I was, it was a good episode. It reminded me how good THE MENTALIST can be. I also forgot how good Jane and Lisbon are to watch together. I don’t know what it is but they genuinely click well with each other. I’m thinking of watching next week even. These lengthy delays do make it hard to watch with consistency.

• DL says:

I really enjoyed the episode too, but all I can say is the “shock” ending was SO predictable, and it boggles my mind how Jane (and the other character it involved) didn’t see it coming miles away.

15. abz says:

The Good Wife is probably only show to ever make my blood pressure rise and make me feel anxious. It’s just too exciting I literally can’t even take my eyes off the screen for one second. It’s must see TV each week.
    I don’t even know why they care about the ratings for The Good Wife anymore with the way CBS screws up that night constantly. They treat the show like crap and it’s probably the best drama they current;y have. They should have never moved it to Sundays. They better not cancel it because any ratings drops, CBS has itself to blame for.
    Also, TVLine, there are recaps/reviews for the majority of shows on this site, yet we only get premiere and finale articles for TGW?
    Can’t wait for this week’s episode. I kinda wish I skipped yesterday’s episode so that I could binge watch the episodes together. This is gonna be a long week!

16. Jesse says:

Don’t worry too much about OUAT. It was up against a huge football game this week.

17. Alex Leo says:

I just wanted The Good Wife not to end last night. This show is really amazing. I cannot wait for next week’s episode.
    I’m wondering though where the show is headed. Will Alicia and Cary succeed? If they do, what will happen to Will? Will Diane be taken back to the firm? Will it be Alicia and Cary vs. Diane and Will? What about Kalinda??? Endless questions.

18. MGL says:

I do love The Good Wife, but it has been my dvr show being opposite Revenge; however, that may change next week. I love Alicia and Will. Like others have said that “love / hate” thing is a fine line. There are a lot of possibilities with the new firm, and Cary is great, but the others, are just too young and after last night, inexperienced.

19. JoAnne says:

I honestly don’t like the Rumple arch on OUAT so I prefer not watching it. Yesterday’s episode was so Rumple heavy I switched back to the game more than to the episode. I know it’s terrible for a fan of the show to say so, but I don’t like the storyline. Hopefully, the writers watch the replies on posts like this to get a feel for the viewers. Just my opinion.

• ugh these people says:

it’s called centric. every episode centers on some character. last time it was rumple. I only watched this ep only because of him. top acting. not sure I like the ark tho. but I’ll skip the next one with captain vulgarity. they were shoving him down peoples throats so much I was sick of him even before season started. can’t stand him really. and idk if I’ll come back if they continue to center on charmings self pitying and regina forced whitening and ignore other fanbases like rumbelle, sleeping warrior and swanfire. looks like it’s season 2 once again. well I don’t have patience anymore to wait when they throw us some bone. and I’m tired of their lying.

20. C says:

I can see why the ratings of ouat would have dropped I’m not even a follower of sports so I had no conflict, but the show was just boring. I barely watched the episode as it was on I decided playing a game on my phone was more interesting to be perfectly honest.