Parks and Rec's Next Three Episodes, Including Halloween Outing, Bumped by The Voice, SNL

Parks and Recreation PreemptedThe next three episodes of Parks and Recreation — including a Halloween-themed outing that was to air Oct. 31 — are being preempted, NBC confirmed with its latest scheduling alert.

RELATED | NBC Sets Community Return Date, Cancels Freshman Series Ironside and Welcome to the Family

The Voice‘s Battle Rounds this week will spill over into Thursday’s 8 o’clock hour, bumping Orphan Black superstar Tatiana Maslany’s second Parks visit and filling the void left by the now-cancelled Welcome to the Family. Then on Halloween night, NBC will air a holiday-themed Saturday Night Live special.

VIDEO | Reality Check Reviews Best of The Voice’s Battle Rounds! Plus: Are the Coaches Screwing Up the ‘Steal’?

Lastly, on Thursday, Nov. 7, The Voice’s live playoffs results show — which was originally set to fill the 9 o’clock hour (thus preempting Sean Saves the World and The Michael J Fox Show) — instead will air at 8 pm, again bumping Parks.

NBC will “catch up” Parks and Rec fans with back-to-back episodes on Nov. 14 and 21 — though (UPDATE) the show will then disappear again until possibly as late as Jan. 9, 2014, due to other specials, football, The Sing-Off and that live Sound of Music thing, Vulture points out.

1. Christian says:

Makes sense. Hope this helps Sean and Michael. I’m actually enjoying both shows.

2. Damn it, why can’t The Voice just stick to one night?

• Rook says:

Seriously! while the voice is popular it doesn’t produce bankable artist. I can’t even remember the winners.

• erin says:

Given the ad revenue the show generates, I don’t think NBC particularly cares how the artists do after the show. They’re just squeezing every last dime possible out of their best-rated show that brings in a ton of advertising money.

3. Erin says:

This is not ok. Will we get to see these episodes at all? I’m not watching The Voice this season, but how exactly does it run over? It’s not like they don’t know how many contestants there are each week that they just need to add an extra hour.

• Sarah says:

On November 14 and November 21, they are showing back-to-back episodes of Parks and Recreation from 8-9; so yes, those episodes will air. We will get four episodes in those two weeks instead of them being spread out over four separate weeks.

• bar says:

Can you read bro?
      But I agree, this is stupid. Especially since it’s only like three days notice.

4. EDB says:

Literally…what the hell NBC.

5. Ann says:

So, does that mean NBC will air the Halloween-themed episode after Thanksgiving (if they air it at all)??

6. Shannon says:

Are Ben and Leslie dressed as Princess Buttercup and Westley aka the Dread Pirate Roberts from Princess Bride?!?! That would be so awesome.

Why NBC, Why???

7. PopGoesMe says:

Halloween themed sitcoms are my favorite! And now NBC has taken away Parks & Rec and Community Halloween Specials… BOOsauce!

8. badlands75 says:

Yeah, this is not good for P&R. They should just move the show to FXX and be done with it. I will follow it anywhere!!!

9. Maria says:

Nooo!!!! This hurts even more when accompanied by that picture of Leslie and Ben’s awesome Pride Bride costumes!

10. Phillip says:

When will those preempted episodes air?

11. Lecholls says:

This is terrible. So disappointed.

12. eric' says:

NBC, is really beating the horse with The Voice, I personally have tuned out this season, just because I’m burnt out on The Voice, multiple hours each week and now 3x in a week. Too much, even my Adam Levine can’t get me to tune in anymore.

• Patrick says:

ABC did this with Who Wants to be a Millionaire. They ran it so much that it died. It should still be on once a week as a filler on Friday or Saturday. Instead, it is buried in daytime syndication. The Voice is dependent on its judges, any one of whom is a walking scandal waiting to happen. When one, or more, implode, the over exposure will be the death knell of the show.

13. ggny says:

Good bye Parks and Recs. It was a fun 5 seasons

14. Larry says:

NBC is going to eventually kill the show by using it to fill every hole in their schedule. Too much of anything is going to be overload to the audience at some point. This is obviously a scheduling ploy to weakend TBBT and to give the network a better 18-49 demo going into November sweeps.

15. Jared says:

Screw you NBC!

16. Josh says:

Disappointing. Would make more sense to preempt the two new shows that are way under performing. Who exactly makes NBC’s decisions these days?

• Matthew says:

The problem is they want these new shows to continue airing to try and build an audience. Ultimately, NBC will fail in this, because the other 3 non-Parks and Recreation shows on Thursday are a shade better than abysmal. But the logic is sound; if they can boost the other shows to P&R caliber ratings (which I’m aware aren’t that high), then they have 4 moderately-performing shows on their schedule that can be paired together to try and undo the damage done to NBC’s Thursday comedy block. Alternatively, P&R will probably get the same ratings no matter when it airs (within reason), so to pre-empt it makes more sense business-wise.

That is of course until you realize the other shows are garbage.

17. One might think they were purposely killing P and R. WTF? This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Patrick says:

Because it has a huge cast, even after Rob Lowe and Rashida Jones exit the show. And it is a pretty expensive cast. All the stars now have multiple opportunities in other projects. Maybe they aren’t leads, but they can do lots and lots of smaller projects. As the show ages, the salaries of everybody, from the writers, to the crew, to the cast, escalate. The salaries have to go up per the union rules of all the associated guilds.

So, NBC is faced with show that has dwindling/small viewership and escalating costs. It makes some of that back with syndication, but the viewership means that PandR isn’t exactly commanding top dollar in syndication. It’s only on FXX and WGN. This means they didn’t get much for the eps.

Costs are only going to go up, and the earnings are now flat. Maybe they do want to kill it.

18. Alice says:

Booo. It’s the only show on NBC that I watch.

19. Jack says:

NBC puts the one comedy it has that does well on the shelf for reality TV. End of times. This is why NBC will continue to suck.

20. Eliza says:

I have never watched one second of The Voice so, of course, I hate this horrible news. P&R ♥ forever!!

21. Jack says:

Halloween episode for Thanksgiving. Give up NBC.

22. Parks is barely cracking 3 million viewers a week on its own. I kind of don’t blame NBC for going with one of the very few strengths it has to shore up disastrous ratings on Thursdays.

• Zayne says:

Their new comedies are doing even worse. Parks and Rec may not have a big following, but they’re steady and unwavering. They should show that some damn respect.

• hipper says:

I’m a P&R fan… the only thing I watch on NBC but it make sense. When your aging show is barely beating a CW show in both ratings and demos, it’s time to think of a way to shake it up and give new blood a chance.

And yes, it’s not looking good for next season (cast changes is another indicator), but at least we’re getting the pre-empted episodes aired.

23. Joe says:

BOOO. Bad move, NBC. So sick of talent shows like the Voice, X-Factor, etc. UGHHH

24. Babygate says:

Noooo! Why do they keep messing around with their schedules? I get that NBC only has football and The Voice going for them, but geez, you can’t make the whole schedule about The Voice. Mondays, Tuesdays and now Thursdays? NBC gives no respect to its shows. Look at what they have done to Parenthood. I don’t watch it but I know that it has a loyal following and the ratings had been ticking up after the Cristina storyline. So instead of allowing it to own that Tuesday at 10pm slot, they decided to put it against Scandal this year. As if they didn’t know that it would affect the ratings. And they are always messing around with their comedy schedules. They can’t keep shuffling shows around and expect them to grow an audience.

25. Carrie says:

That’s really annoying, especially bumping the Halloween episode. Why air it after the holiday is over? That’s lame. NBC is lame. P&R is the best show they have.

26. Elizabeth says:

This is actually a good thing for Parks. It saves them from disastrous ratings on Halloween because that night is always down and then it gives them four episodes in the middle of November Sweeps. This is a show of confidence by NBC in Parks to carry them through. With episodes now at 8:30 I would not be surprised if Thursday is aided in ratings. Nothing drastic but a bump from 1.3 to 1.5 in demo will lead in to SStW much better than WTTF’s .8

• Michelle says:

I would agree. I’m bummed about a 3-week break, but the scheduling is better for them in the long run. The 8:30 episodes will benefit from not having direct competition from TBBT and then come January, football will be done too and that should help as well.

That said, it annoys me that NBC keeps bouncing this show around the Thursday schedule to the point that no one knows when it’s on. If you’re going to shake things up, why not try another night of the week that’s a lot less competitive? None of their comedies stand a chance on Thursday nights as long as TBBT is running and propping up the rest of the shows airing after it.

27. Esaul says:

Sadly, NBC has to do this to jump start Thursdays.

28. Sarah says:

This is utter bull. I don’t care about the voice, that thing has 2 nights a week already WHY WOULD YOU BUMP P&R FOR THIS?!?!?!!?

29. Amy says:

Lamesauce! They must have made Jerry in charge of scheduling.

30. Yoho says:

ROOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Are you f-ing kidding me?! I have to wait over a month to see another Parks and Rec??!! (I’ll be out of the country during both of those November ‘catch up’ dates)

This is why I’m throwing the towel on network tv. NBC, you are a crap shoot. Parts & Rec is the only show on your network I still watched…

31. Kre says:

Parks and Rec is one of the most underrated shows on TV.

32. Rook says:

Scheduling new episodes on Halloween was kinda stupid, but bumping the rest of the episodes for the Voice is total bullsh-t

33. CJ says:

Come on… Seriously? Can’t we have the Halloween episode to watch online at least? This is completely and totally uncool, NBC. And they wonder why no one will invest in their shows.

34. Geri M says:

Good. Time to burn off the ratings stinkbomb and move on. It can barely beat the crap on the CW.

You people should be on your hands and knees thanking NBC for sticking with this, despite its poor ratings, for five seasons. You think CBS or ABC would have done that?

35. Jo Jo says:

NBC is awful… I hate The Voice… Parks and Rec is a great show and I always lobe the Halloween Episodes ugh NBC you suck

36. lmjo says:

I understand this move, but at the same time, NBC is kinda shooting themselves in the foot. IMO, one of their biggest problems (besides poor shows) in the last few years has been their propensity to change the schedule. You can’t expect to build or maintain an audience if viewers never know when a show is going to air.

37. Aprilcot says:

And NBC wonders why people think it’s the worst…

38. webly3 says:

Are you serious? Parenthood was going to get awesome ratings for having The Voice as a lead-in… and then they move it to 8??? Not cool NBC, not cool. Parenthood & Parks and Recreation are my two favorite shows on TV and neither are getting fair treatment. :(

39. Babybop says:

But… But… Parks and Rec is my reward for making it through my packed weekly schedule! Now I’m sad.

40. Jillian says:

NBC is the worst. The one quality show they have they treat like crap. NBC deserves to fail in the ratings like they oh so often do

41. sara says:

booooooooooooo.

42. Spencer says:

What the Hell?! I’m extremely disappointed in how NBC constantly puts Parks off to the side when it is clearly the best show in television. Super pissed….

43. Boiler says:

With any luck people will be so sick of the Voice that it will go down the tubes. Do they really think they will eat into Big Bang?? Its a tie between ABC and NBC as worst run network

44. Mutt says:

THIS SUCKS! NBC – I AM BLOCKING U IN MY HOUSE, and only watching P&R online. This is the end of the scheduling crap you have been pulling on your cult hits….

45. Hahaha, NBC, you are so stupid. This doesn’t surprise me (it disappoints me). NBC has no idea what it’s doing.

46. Mutt says:

HEY! Since CeeLo just got busted for slipping a girl ecstasy (tho he got off the rape charge, which make no fricking sense), PUT P&R back on!!! He violated his morals, so NBC will do the right thing and pull him off?!?!?! D’oh! I forgot, NBC has no morals, they hired in him in the first place and put a crappy show on TV called The Voice.

47. Elm says:

What the f?! Oh my god, they can’t just do that! :O
    Please, please say this is not the first sign of cancellation?

48. JennaG says:

I heard Parks and Rec is on hiatus until January. And that it may get canceled. True?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Per the update to this story, PARKS is back Nov. 14 and 21, then very likely on hiatus until Jan. 9. “Cancellation” rumors are just Internet cynics doing what they do, fancying the worst.

These preemptions are not indicative of PARKS’ fate but of NBC’s determination to bolster the underperforming SEAN SAVES THE WORLD and MICHAEL J FOX SHOW by giving them stronger lead-ins for a few weeks.

49. Joey says:

This sucks. I was looking forward to their halloween episode. dumb move NBC.