Awkward Preview: Heartache Brings Out 'Angry' Matty — Plus: Is Sadie His Rebound Lady?

Awkward Season 3 SpoilersJenna Hamilton, you’ve got a lot of explaining to do.

When Awkward returns this Tuesday (MTV, 10:30/9:30c), the emotionally conflicted teen will try to put some distance between herself and her temptation: classmate Collin. But her efforts fail, destroying her relationship with Matty in the process.

Below, star Beau Mirchoff previews the aftermath of the romantic catastrophe and the possible rebound that could mend his broken heart. Plus, cast members Molly Tarlov and Jillian Rose Reed offer up the latest on their characters’ own love lives.

RELATED | MTV Renews Awkward for Season 4

HEARTACHE CENTRAL | “I don’t know what the future of Matty and Jenna is, but it doesn’t look good,” says Mirchoff — and with good reason. As the preview trailer reveals, the good-guy boyfriend – and pretty much everyone else – will find out that Jenna locked lips with Collin. “At first, he’s angry,” says the actor. “He wants to fight Collin. But then he realizes that Collin is not really at fault. Jenna’s at fault here.” So while he initially may want “to rectify the situation” because he thinks his girlfriend only made a mistake, he’ll have to face the reality that “maybe she’s doesn’t love Matty. Maybe she’s realizing that she’s moving on, she’s evolving, she’s going in a different direction than Matty now.”

But is there any hope for the couple? Mirchoff admits, “For Matty to just take her back, it’s kind of sad. For him to take Jenna back, she’d have to change. She’d have to really own up to what she did, and I don’t know if I see that happening right away. Maybe that’ll happen in a little while when she’s down in the gutter. For the time being, I think she’s beat-down, but maybe OK with what’s happening.”

RELATED | MTV Renews Teen Wolf for Season 4

Awkward Season 3 SpoilersJUST FRIENDS? | Matty will find support from a close pal while going through his difficult break-up. “I have a lot of fun stuff with Matty,” previews Tarlov, who plays mean girl Sadie. “As Jenna’s going off the wagon, he needs a friend, and he’s the only person that Sadie actually cares about.” Could this platonic relationship turn into something more? “She actually dropped that crush at the beginning of Season 2,” Tarlov points out. “But I don’t know. I think there’s potential. They really have a good foundation there.” Teases Mirchoff: “Oh, there could be romance. I will say that they’re alone in [the] bedroom a couple times. I don’t know what happens with these teenagers and hormones.” Sadie, however, may already be taken. “I’m excited about her relationship with Austin,” says Tarlov. “He’s going to come back a lot more.”

TAMARA TAKES THE WORLD | Jenna’s behavior “affects the whole group, but Tamara being her best friend, it affects her a lot,” explains Reed. “A lot of turmoil there. It’s going to be a roller coaster ride these last 10 episodes.” Meanwhile, the fast-talking high schooler will have her plate full with her own romance – “There’s a lot of fun relationship stuff for Tamara and Jake. They’re still trying to figure out how to be teenagers in love,” she says – and trying to climb the social ladder. “I would love to say that she’s going to go up, but we all know who’s at the top, and that’s Sadie,” Reed says with a laugh. “I don’t think Sadie will ever let Tamara get there.”

CHANGING VIEWS | Someone other than Jenna will pipe up this season. “If you ever wanted to hear the narration of the show done by another character, then we have an episode where it follows the voiceover of different characters,” previews Mirchoff.

PRETTY IN DRAMA | It wouldn’t be high school without an emotionally fraught dance. “We might meet a new character, and there might be some stuff going down at winter formal,” teases Tarlov.

Comments (12)

• I feel like the show is trying to evolve away from Jenna by continuously putting her down…

Comment by Amz – October 21, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you noticed that she rarely does interviews, and when she does she comes off as kind of a B? Maybe they are planning to get rid of her.

Comment by Patrick – October 22, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why the show had to go this way. So basically your ripping off Glee without all the singing. Jenna and Matty should stay broken up and Colin should be shipped off to Australia because he is so boring. Blah. Hopefully this show gets back on track because the “spring season” blew

Comment by Asia – October 21, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how is the show ripping off glee? and how is the show “putting her down” they are making her a typical teen struggling with her feelings.

But this is why I tragically shipped Jake. Their relationship was based something more than looks. Jenna and Matty’s relationship was based mainly on physical attraction and sex which is why it was easy for her to stray and feel an emotional connection with Collin.

Comment by Miss VCI – October 21, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you stupid or are you stupid? Oh and Collin is awesome.

Comment by Ashley – October 23, 2013 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show because it really portrays what High School is!!!
    High School is not like Glee, and it is definitely not like Pretty Little Liars.

Comment by Luis – October 21, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m alone and it’s pretty obvious it’s never going to happen but……..I still ship Jenna and Jake

Comment by erin – October 21, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not alone. I really wanted her to chose him over Matty. Unfortunately, you are probably correct that it will never happen.

Comment by Hannah – October 21, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show! It is my favorite comedy :D

Comment by Omar – October 21, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interviews. I’m looking forward to the second half of season 3.

Comment by sabrina – October 21, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sucks that Matty really cared for Jenna and then she went and cheated on him with Colin. All Colin cares about is drugs and sex. Now Colin has cheated on Jenna!! Jenna finally feels what Matty felt. And of course she called Matty up to pick her up from Colins party. I hope Jenna owns up to all the wrongs she did and gets back together with Matty.

Comment by Whatever – November 20, 2013 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think Matty and jenna only really had sex they never like went places and really interacted with each other ,however i love them together and we all see how matty really cares for her .

Comment by catie – December 15, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post