Exclusive: Brothers & Sisters Alum Commits to NBC's Midseason Drama The Night Shift

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

The Night Shift NBCBrothers & SistersLuke MacFarlane is reporting for duty on NBC’s midseason drama The Night Shift, playing an Army guy who shares a mysterious past with Brendan Fehr’s MD character, TVLine has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

MacFarlane will guest star as Rick Lincoln, a soldier who is just back from his latest stint in Afghanistan. When he arrives at San Antonio BFMemorial Hospital, we learn that he has a close connection to Fehr’s Drew (hmm… )

From Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah (Freaks and Geeks, 90210), The Night Shift is a medical procedural about a group of ex-Army doctors burning the midnight oil at a hospital. The cast includes Six Feet Under‘s Freddy Rodriguez, Lost‘s Ken Leung and Royal Pains’ Jill Flint.

MacFarlane recently wrapped Season 1 of the Canadian ensemble comedy Satisfaction.

Comments (19)

• If the mysterious past or connection is that he is gay and they had had relations, then poor Luke is being typecast. He should be able to play any kind of role, not just gay ones.

Comment by Mika – October 17, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing. I enjoyed watching him in Person of Interest. Thought he did a good job.

Comment by abz – October 17, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well there is more to playing a gay character than just being gay. Are you typecast if you only play straight roles? It should be about his character and what he has to offer other than his sexuality. ;)

Comment by Dani – October 17, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He plays straight on Satisfaction, but to me he will always be gay Scotty

Comment by rod – October 17, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really miss Brothers & Sisters. It was a really good show.

Comment by abz – October 17, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had no interest in this show till now, may check it out now. Love Brothers and sisters

Comment by LilacBarries – October 17, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With those pictures, they could almost be twins.

Comment by TL – October 17, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they make out, I’m in!

Comment by Christian – October 17, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will watch just to see Luke M

Comment by Curt – October 17, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brenden Fehr is going to be back on TV!!!! How did I not know this.

Comment by Drewer – October 17, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show actually sounds more interesting by any news that reveals more about it. I’m going to check it out for sure.

Comment by Dani – October 17, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, and underrated actor! Brilliant in Over There.

Comment by Michael – October 17, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brendan Fehr. I can’t even explain how happy I am for him! I hope this takes of. He deserves it.

Comment by Kate'shomesick – October 17, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luke Macfarlane is one of the best in the biz. Funny, talented, and a class act all around

Comment by Jennifer – October 17, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been a big fan of his since B&S.

Comment by AU – October 17, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll
    certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

Comment by post – October 17, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is indeed a gay story if not another doctor drama is snooze alert regardless of cast!

Comment by DavidSask – October 17, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be gay. They would make such an adorable couple. I’m already shipping this.

Comment by Steven – October 18, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post