Fox Orders Ancient Egypt Adventure Drama

logo-fox-300Fox is traveling far back in time — though not to Terra Nova-esque extremes — to put on its newest show.

The network has given a 13-episode series order to the ancient Egypt-set action-adventure drama Hieroglyph.

RELATED | Fox Orders Unscripted Comedy Slide Show From Producer Steve Carell

The project — penned by Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim, Clash of the Titans) — blends fantasy and reality when a notorious thief is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah. In his new role, he must navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and divine sorcerers.

“We wanted to do a show about deceit, sex, intrigue in the court and fantastical goings-on – no better place to set that than ancient Egypt,” Fox entertainment chief Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “Travis Beacham has an inventive mind, and he has wrapped this all together in this intoxicating new drama.”

Beacham will executive-produce alongside Peter Chernin (Rise of the Planet of the Apes), Katherine Pope (New Girl) and Miguel Sapochnik (Fringe), who will also direct the pilot.

Other recent projects getting straight-to-series orders from Fox: The DC Comics Commissioner Gordon origins story Gotham and a multi-cam comedy set in a women’s college, from producer Tina Fey.

1. Cherry says:

Interesting premise. But god awful title! They need to change the title.

2. Templar says:

To err is Hollywood, to totally catastrophize requires FOX!

• jestsaying says:

Only in Hollywood can you pen a godawful script that turns into a godawful movie with bad critiques and disappointing sales and they give you ANOTHER big budget script to write. Repeat. And then you get an option to write a script for a Fox pilot… Reason why I love shows like Episodes? Cause they acknowledge this tongue in cheek and it feeds my hatred for network suits legitimately.

• WayneInNYC says:

Pacific Rim may have not done well in the US, but It’s grossed over $400 million with overseas performance. And just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean the movie is “godawful.” I, and EVERY one of my friends who saw it, enjoyed it for what it was. A throwback to 50′s Kaiju films.

3. Esaul says:

I’d loved if instead this were an historical drama versus a mix of fantasy/adventure.

4. DL says:

I’d much rather see a modern day series about unearthing ancient Egyptian secrets, magic, and, you know, the good old millennia-old conspiracy. But I’ll give this a shot. :P

5. Kristina says:

I think this could be good. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

6. liz says:

*side eye*. I’m pretty protective of my ancient Egyptian stuff (cause they never do it right) but I’ll definitely give it a shot

7. kirads09 says:

“a notorious thief is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah. In his new role, he must navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and divine sorcerers.”

Dare I say it? Sensing remnants of the biblical story of Joseph?

COULD have potential, if done right. Not sure if that can be pulled off. If done well, I think would like it. But then undoubtedly Fox will cancel it on the same level as Alcatraz and Terra Nova.

8. Sara says:

I’m a sucker for historical-ish shows. I’ll check it out to see what it’s all about (plus…pacific rim was such a fun movie)

9. Mel says:

Sounds interesting. Don’t think this particular historical story has been told yet. Props for originality.