Ryan Murphy: Glee to End Next Season, Reworked Series Finale Will 'Honor' Finn

Glee Final EpisodeGlee cocreator Ryan Murphy has made it official: The show won’t go on beyond next season.

At a Paley Center event honoring FX Networks Wednesday night, Murphy confirmed that Season 6 will be Glee‘s last. He also revealed that Cory Monteith’s death has forced him to devise a completely different endgame.

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Best Glee Moments

“The final year of the show, which will be next year, was designed around Rachel and Cory/Finn’s story,” he told reporters. “I always knew that, I always knew how it would end. I knew what the last shot was – he was in it. I knew what the last line was – she said it to him. So when a tragedy like that happens you sort of have to pause and figure out what you want to do, so we’re figuring that out now.

RELATED | Glee Recap: A Farewell to Finn

“I have a good idea,” Murphy added. “I’m going to tell the studio and the network [in a week] how after Cory’s unfortunate passing we can end the show that I think is very satisfactory. And kind of in his honor, which I love.” (Reporting by Scott Huver)

1. Kim says:

Even though no one could see this coming, this is the kind of situation writers CAN get themselves into when they drag their feet and put off storylines.
    Season 4 was terrible. Positively awful. Cory was very underused and forced to stay in Lima to try to pull attention to the newbies (which still have not taken off)

When you waste your talents and you waste the storyline you want to tell (Finn/Rachel haven’t the no contact thing for A YEAR).. then you do risk having things not go the way you plan. Would fans still even be around for the 6 season? Ratings are dropping like flies. I was a Finn/Rachel fan but after season 4 I wasn’t planning on watching this one anyway because it had gotten so bad.

Really wish season 4 had been announced as the last so we didn’t have to sit through 2 more years of BS to get to the end result.

• Esaul says:

The end result is different anyway. So at this point no one’s being forced to stay. I gave up long before season four ended personally. I was never a fan of Rachel/Finn. I love Lea Michele, but can’t stand her character at all.

• Pete says:

Don’t know why you watched the show to begin with if you hated Rachel. She was the primarily lead character for the whole first season. Like.. almost in every scene except Will/Wife drama.

• Esaul says:

Rachel isn’t the only character in Glee. I enjoyed the interactions between Will and Sue early on. I also love Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Artie, Britney, Puck and Coach Beiste. They were the reason why I watched the show. Had a love/hate relationship with Finn.

• Pete says:

Like I said, season 1 was all about Rachel. So you contradict yourself. Blaine wasn’t there. Santana and “Brittany” were background characters. Coach Beiste wasn’t there.

• Esaul says:

I didn’t contradict myself in the slightest. If anything, it indicates that I watched beyond season one since I mentioned characters that appear later. I also indicated I quit during season four. I can watch a show and not like the main character(s). I find Rachel’s character and her growth obnoxious. So what? If others like her, fine. So be it. If they watch for her, then all the more power to them. It might not have been an ensemble drama as Anna mentioned, but I still enjoyed the character development a lot of them had throughout the show. And not once did I say Rachel was the reason why I quit the show either. I tolerated her. I quit mostly due to other shows I watch, but I also felt it wasn’t the same anymore. If Netflix had season four of Glee, I’d probably splurge where I left off like I did the past couple of seasons. I haven’t been caught up to Glee since the start of season two.

• Anna says:

But Glee has never been an ensemble drama. Although they have lots of characters… Rachel, mostly, and Finn have always been front and center.

• Esaul says:

Despite the fact they’re the center of the drama doesn’t mean I have to like them.

• fiona says:

I’m in the same boat as Esaul in that I never liked finn and rachel in the first couple of seasons. It’s not just the primary characters that make the show. I enjoyed those first season because of characters like puck, sue, quinn, tina, artie, et cetera. Everyone must have characters that they do not enjoy as much. Granted. I’ve come to love Rachel a whole lot more in later seasons, but those first couple years I didn’t

• RichieS says:

To me S1 wasn’t about Rachel or Finn. It was totally about the Acafellas and the amazing Howard Baboo.

• kd83954 says:

You can not like a lead character but still adore the supporting cast. I loooooathed Michael Scott on “The Office” but watched for the other characters.

• Esaul says:

Heh. I’ve been trying to convince my girlfriend to watch The Office BECAUSE of Michael Scott. She absolutely hates him, but loves Dwight and Jim. She’s only on season one too! I hated Michael for a long time before he grew onto me. :P

• scooby says:

In S1 of The Office, they wrote Michael Scott trying to make him closer to the Ricky Gervais character in the UK but it wasn’t really fitting Steve Carell so they softened him up after that. It’s probably why your girlfriend hates him now and you grew to like him later.

• Megan says:

Just a side note: The Office is originally from the UK and written by Ricky Gervais and when the US bought it, they just recreated the first 2 season word for word (changing names of course). Hence why the Character didn’t suit Steve Carell. So it wasn’t that they tried to play him closer to Ricky, but that in fact the script had be written for, and by, Ricky.

• hkfan says:

Rachel has always been my least favourite character, but it never stopped me watching the show. There’s a lot more to Glee than Rachel…..

• kim says:

She is the the main character for all the seasons. I have no idea how people don’t like Rachel.

• Jass says:

Maybe because she was annoying and irritating, and could only think about herself (and Finn). Don’t get me wrong, i don’t hate her. I just say what she is like.

• Gunny says:

She was the show for me. I do understand tolerace of a character though because I did not like all the focus on adults (Schue/Emma), the guest stars that sang with Schue, and then the warblers. The original cast was very talented and i preferred watching their stories develop and their performances. Lea Michele has an incredible voice and performance style and I felt cheated when she didn’t get a big song in each show. I didn’t really like her in season four.

• 80s says:

You can hate the lead character and still watch the show — or even love the show. (Piper from OTNB anyone??)

• Alice says:

Rachel and Finn were the only reason I watched. It was good that the show had someone for everyone. The problem was that in Season Four they had too many – I did not like season 4 at all. Character assassination of nearly everyone but Finn and Rachel in particular.

• courtney says:

agreed!!:)

• Jake says:

I finished my run with Glee at “The Quarterback”. If the first two episodes of this season are any indication of what’s gonna be going on this season (which they probably aren’t) I’m not gonna be sticking around I don’t think.

• courtney says:

shut up!!!!! you gay she is fab and has been through so much you disrespectful person!

• Ann says:

To be fair to the writers, the reason why Finn was underused was because Cory spent several months on rehab…twice…during that stint, which is why Finn was off-screen so much.

• Lauren says:

Not true.
        He was filming 2 movies and that’s why he missed the first 3 episodes of Season 4. He only missed the last 3 episodes of Season 4 do the rehab

• nunezz says:

I wish you were right. I wish he’d had spent several months on rehab. But you’re wrong, he didn’t! He spent one month, back in april. And it wasn’t really one whole month, cause he got in april 26. He was off-screen because he was shotting 2 movies last year. Not because he was on rehab. Anyways…

• Sk says:

My sentiments to a tee. I stopped watching season 4 crap after episode 3. I was a travesty what was done to my favorite show. Now, I couldn’t care less about it.

• Paul says:

You actually don’t have to sit through two more years. You can quit watching whenever you want. I, personally, am glad he made this announcement. It gives him plenty of time to plan an appropriate ending

• Star Healer says:

I felt like after Finn died the show was one very long funeral. Usually when an actor dies the show dedicates the next show to them and the show goes on. With all the talent this show had going for it some ones feet was stuck in the past and couldn’t let the show rise to where it could stay a hit. Not happy it became the Rachel show.

• Penny says:

The situation on Glee is unlike most shows because of the storyline and the behind the scenes situation. Finn was a huge part of the show and Rachel’s life. it would have been unreasonable to just do one show and go on like nothing happened. On the show and in real life, Finn/Cory and Rachel/Lea were in love and to just forget about Finn would have been totally unrealistic. I think the show has portrayed what the characters would feel, since that’s what the actors are going through. It’s not the style of show where a major character could just be dropped. I love that they continue to remember Finn. Losing someone has a lasting effect and and grief doesn’t end with the funeral. Of course he would continue to be in their hearts and their minds. Anything else would not seem right!

2. Esaul says:

I admire this decision. It’s a tough to know when to end a show, and to end on his own terms too.

• Kev says:

Um, don’t think it’s Ryan’s choice. FOX renewed them for 2 seasons. That was basically a given it was it. Everyone is signed on for 7 so FOX would have a 7th season IF they really wanted it. But.. given the plummeting ratings.. I’ll be shocked if they even give them a full 6th season.

• Esaul says:

FOX also renewed Glee for another two seasons prior to Cory Monteith’s death. That changes everything. Despite the decline in ratings, Ryan is still ending the show on his own terms. What if he always planned for season six to be its last? There’s no indication that FOX planned to renew beyond the sixth season as well, and we’ll never know.

• Pete says:

You’re a moron. Do you know how contracts work? When actors/writers sign on to a new series it’s for 7 years! 7 seasons. Doesn’t matter what Ryan may want. Fox owns him, the actors and the show for 7 seasons. Actors literally have to negotiate and buy themselves out of the contract if they want to leave (Dianna). Example: Jessica Biel wanted out of 7th Heaven so she posed nude on a magazine cover to try to get them out of her contract. You can’t just “decide” to leave/quit writing the show. Ryan won’t write anymore? Fine, they would hire one of the 8 million other writers Glee has. It’s show business. It’s money and LEGAL contracts.

• Esaul says:

I wasn’t aware that you’re in possession of said contracts. Are you? Resorting to insults also indicates that you don’t have a legal background either. So I have little concern for what you have to say on the matter. Even if Glee is extended beyond season six for whatever reason, I can still state I admire Ryan Murphy for his decision. If he won’t be writing on the show and he leaves, that is still an admirable thing. I’m talking about Ryan Murphy specifically, not FOX.

• Liz says:

Are you a moron? Actors don’t automatically get signed to a seven season deal. It varies. It could be 1 or 2 seasons. When their contract is up the studio has the chance to either pick up a new deal or let them go. Dianna’s contract was up & she left. The original cast was signed on to a 3 season deal so it was assured that they would stay through the high school years. If there is an on going contract they can’t just buy out of it if they want. There’s legal issues.
            That being said I thought glee should have been over last season. I was surprised it got the 2 season pick up. Glee season 1 is still my favorite show.

• ronnie says:

I’m sure after Cory’s death, the studio asked Ryan how many more seasons he could go. When a show loses a major character, the creators are always asked by the studio the best way to forward. Some shows can, and others can’t and the contracts have nothing to do with it. If they didn’t think the show could go further, they would make plans to cancel it. The actors are asked to make a commitment for up to seven seasons, but they also know they can be written out or their role decreased at any time depending on the creative direction of the show. And also, the studio knows a show like Glee is not like a lot of other productions and trying to bring someone else in would be a disaster. Glad they can at least give the show closure. A lot shows don’t get a series finale.

• Alex says:

Do you know how contracts work? Shows can end at any time, regardless of how long the actors are signed for. The contracts only tie the actors to the show, not the show to the network.

• Lon says:

Dianna didn’t buy out her contract Ryan let her go cause he wasn’t going to write for all the graduates

• Paul says:

They will get a full 6th, that’s a given, and Ryan is going out of his terms,not Fox’s.

3. kd83954 says:

I’m not surprised that the show will end after next season, nor was I surprised to hear the season would be heavily focused on Finchel. It’s so horribly sad it has to be rewritten. I have no doubt the writers will continue to honor Cory/Finn for the remainder of the show’s run.

4. JJM says:

Seems like they’re just milking Cory’s death lately to promote the show.

• Esaul says:

If that were the case, then they wouldn’t have withheld the tribute episode until this past week. The cast and Ryan Murphy cared about Cory, and it’s evident too.

• dee123 says:

Uh-huh. Characters will be crying in every scene till the end. Idiot.

• Lisa Gustafson says:

As will the real fans of GLEE. If you don’t want to watch a sixth season, then don’t. It’s your choice. But, let those of us watch continue to watch our favorite actors for as long as we can. Personally, I want to see how the careers of Rachel, Santana and Kurt go. Will they succeed or decide to do something else with their lives.

• KC says:

Because the PSAs they did, the fact that almost all of the actors avoided speaking publicly about it for weeks after, and the fact that they did everything in their power to handle the situation with class and dignity (including not airing a promo for the next episode after the tribute because the promo had a drastically different tone to it) all add up to milking it. Right. Yeah. That makes sense. /sarcasm

• LC says:

You can’t reason with the unreasonable, KC. So let’s leave poor JJM to his/her delusional state of mind. He/She was probably one of the same people who said Lea Michele was milking it with her recent interview…the FIRST ONE she’d done since Cory’s death.
        This really shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Fox announced at the end of Season 4 that Glee was renewed for Seasons 5 and 6 at the same time. That happens VERY rarely…a 2 season pickup. So, it can’t come as much of a shock that they were planning for that to be the endgame. The signing of the actors for a 7th season was, I’m sure, a “just in case”.

• Gunny says:

I disagree. I believe they honestly loved Cory. I’m a fan and appreciate their continued featuring of Cory/Finn. I would be angry if they didn’t.

• Penny says:

If by milking you mean giving the fans what they want, a sendoff for a favorite on the show, then I am glad they are milking it. Doing nothing was not an option so one show to pay tribute to a fan favorite hardly seems to be “milking” it. You can’t just have a character disappear with no explanation and just ignore the fact that he is gone. Thought it was done perfectly- I needed that, the cast needed that and the real Glee fans needed that!! And a great way to allow the characters on the show to give closure to their relationship with Finn

• Alice says:

and just how are they doing that? It’s not like they need to remind people that he died.

5. Christina says:

Can we please ditch Lima then???
    I want the last half of this season and next year to focus on the characters I invested in!!! I don’t care about Mary Sue or whatever her name is or reality show winners.
    Give me Kurt! Santana! Rachel! Occasionally show me Mercedes/Puck.
    I’d say I’d want to see Blaine or Sam but jesus they have been shoved down my throat so much the past 2 seasons that there is no escaping.

• Geo says:

Amen to that.

• Jenny says:

I have a feeling this is where it is heading. Seems like we will get the Seniors graduated and then Lima will be pretty much done. Not really surprised it is ending after next season and also that Finchel was end game. They pretty much said it with what Rachel telling Will that one day she was just going to walk into the choir room and say “I’m home” and they would live happily ever after. Would not be surprised if that was the final scene.

6. rissa says:

Expected this so not surprised. I just hope the last season will be mostly, if not all, in NY. Sad that we will never know how it was going to end for Finchel.

• rissa says:

Or maybe we do know how it would have ended…many fans are saying that what Rachel said last week about her coming back to McKinley after making it big on Broadway and telling Finn who was teaching there “I’m Home” is how the show could have ended…would have been a nice ending if that’s true.

• Sez says:

I have a feeling the last line might have been a cheesy line about “I didn’t stop believin'” or something like that.

• JC says:

See, with Cory now gone, I can see the final scene going one of two ways: Rachel’s fathers entering the picture (flashback to episode 1, I believe, where she revealed her, per se, conception) or just Will, with Rachel on Broadway, accepting some award and saying something like “Don’t stop believing,” or her taking over the reigns at McKinley High Glee Club while Will goes to Broadway, with a similar line. Remember the theme with season 1 was centered heavily around the Journey song “Don’t Stop Believing.” I see it making a subtle reentry. The “I’m home” is warm and fuzzy, I’ve thought of it as well, but it’s too obvious and too….cheesy. I think Murphy would want to end Glee on a more memorable note to close the entire series together.

• AJ says:

Agree. Looks like RM is planning to add Artie to the NY mix. That should make for an interesting dynamic. I like that charater and the way Kevin Mchale plays him.

7. KE says:

I hope one day Ryan will share his plan for Finchel and what could have been. As someone who was a Finchel fan since day 1, I’d still love to hear the endgame plan :-D Like Lea said, it;s been like losing 2 people, Cory and then Finn. :)

• Stacey says:

I am sure it would have been exactly like what Rachel sad to Shue. She would become famous, and Finn would be in Lima becoming a teacher…and teaching the Glee club…She would be ready to settle down, but not give up her career (she could go where the job was, but Lima would be her base), and would have come back to Lima and say, “I am home”. And they would settle down. They might have reconciled, but had a long-distance relationship until that point came… And now, I think she will find a new endgame. Focus on her career. I could see her decide to move to L.A in the series finale! Or heck if she was burnt out about show business, and needing a break, she could come back to Lima and take over the Glee Club but I doubt they would do that for Rachel. They will want to show her succeeding, to honor Finn!

• Jenn says:

I heard someone say they think Rachel’s speech last week was the idea for the end with Finn becoming a teacher and her being on broadway then going back to Lima and telling him she’s home.

• AG says:

You likely did hear the endgame plan in the tribute episode. When Rachel tells Will, “I had it all planned out. I was going to make it big on Broadway. And maybe do a Woody Allen movie. And then when we were ready, I would just come back, and he’d be teaching here. And I’d walk through those doors, and I’d just say, ‘I’m home.’ And then we would live happily ever after.”

Bam. That was supposed to be the ending.

• KE says:

See I thought that at first. That Rachel’s speech was the plan they had. But now, I don’t buy that. I don’t see how they could have kept Finn and Rachel separated in different cities for 2 more years. Their best acting was together. Cory acting with the new kids was painful to watch. His best scenes were with Lea (and Chris!).. I think they would have HAD to bring him to NYC either middle of this year or at worst next year.
        There’s no way it would have been a believable endgame relationship to have them broken up and in 2 different cities for 3(!!) years (by the end) and then have Rachel suddenly appear and get back together the last few minutes of the finale.
        As a Finchel fan, that would NOT have been satisfying for me. When would Finn realize he IS NYC good? All the ever wanted to do was leave Lima….

• Stacey says:

I could have seen Finn turning up in New York for the summer after the school year ended, Rachel and Finn would have reconciled. Spent time together, and then final season would have Finn going back to Lima and becoming a teacher. And Rachel would be ready in the series finale to settle down. But they would have been back together, but had a long-distance relationship until that point she was ready. He would have become a teacher, gotten a official job at McKinley. And they would settle down!

• F.M. says:

I agree with you. And it sucks so much that we will never see that.

8. F.M. says:

No surprises here. After this tragedy I never thought Glee would go beyond its 6th season, and if they hadn’t renewed it for 2 new seasons after the end of season 4, with Cory’s death, I’m pretty sure they would finish the show in the end of this season (5).
    It sucks that Finchel won’t get their happy ending. I would rather have had a Finchel “happy middle” than no ending at all. Right from the start we all knew they were endgame, and now… I hope they do a better job writing the this season and the next than they did with season 4. And I look forward to know how they will end the show, how Rachel’s future will be like without the love of her life.

• O'Brien says:

It’s like Mr. Schue said in the S1 finale – “Life has one beginning and one end, and the rest is a whole lot of middle.” They had a beautiful middle. It’s just one of those things you have to learn in life, to be okay with having a good middle.

9. Alli says:

This is just so sad! Cory was such an amazing actor and Finn such a great character. I lost interest last season when the show became the Darren Criss show and the focus went to a new cast that I just really don’t like or care about. But I came back for the Tribute and it was so good but so sad. It felt like it’s heart was missing. I really hope Ryan stays true to his word and Finn isn’t forgotten and in the end he really does honor Cory/Finn.

• su says:

Hahaha Darren criss show..I agree.. plus the newbies too(except Becca /Kitty..I like her)…all nice songs and my favorites, they ruined it/gonna ruin it..everything it just revolve them than the orginals.. then blaine..Damn Darren, u fail at promoting the premiere.. so I hope u stop promoting it!

• Sk says:

Exactly!!!!!!!! I have not cared for Glee since season. 4 started, just turned my stomach. Finn floundered into oblivion and Cory ‘s talent wasted on the talentless. Now, it is too late. No Finn, no Glee for me. I couldn’t stand Rachel’s story season 4, what a waste.

10. Jennifer says:

Wow! Next? Not the this season? Horrible, I do not wanna watch anymore this commercial show without cory. I just pray for lea, and cory, and casts.

11. Jared says:

When Fox renewed Glee for 2 seasons the writing was on the wall that those would be the final seasons. I like the show and continue to watch but 6 seasons was a great run.

12. RH says:

Good! It should have ended after season 3. All these newbies & ooc storylines has absolutely ruined this show for me. I only made it through half of s4 & have not and will not watch s5 or s6 until they go back to what worked the first couple of seasons with the characters that I miss.

13. leo says:

gonna pretend season 3 is the series finale…

14. Paul says:

I stopped watching after the original crew “graduated” after season three.

15. Brian says:

I hated hated season 4 and stopped watching around the Christmas episode. Sadden to say they only thing that kept me remotely watching was Finn’s storyline. When would he find his dream? When would he get his brass ring? When would he find the joy and happiness in something? And now… I have no desire to keep watching. I’ve very uninterested in anyone else. Everyone is succeeding.. Rachel on broadway. Kurt had Vogue.. Santana is even happier in what she is pursuing than last season. And now you have Finn who died without ever achieving anything he wanted. And that’s where the writers messed up. You can’t have a character that people root for constantly fair and get beat down. They have to have SOME kind of accomplishment. I see my old self in Finn (played football but not QB LOL) and… it’s depressing how much they ruined him in season 4

• I loved Finn! says:

This! They made Finn into a Lima Loser and beat him down constantly. All he did in S4 was sit on that stupid stool watching that craptastic new Glee Club while everyone else got to move on.

• Lydia says:

That’s because someone had to prop up the newbies and unfortunately that job fell to Finn. I always thought Finn and Puck should have moved to NYC and started a band or something but they really seem to want to keep LIma so poor Finn got bogged down there.

• Mena says:

This is what bad writing does for a show. Ryan Murphy really let many fans down when he put Finn on the back burner for the entire season 4′. I hated Glee after that. Rachel was ruined, IMO. I know many people like Blaine, but, I can’t stand that bland character. Blaine nor Sam are lead character material. I choose to remember Finn when he was alive and having a wonderful story and influence on other characters. I will never consider his season 4 story of sitting on a stool applauding and watching the lesser talented characters in Lima.

• Camussie says:

Exactly. It was only in Finn’s very last episode that his life finally seemed to be on a positive trajectory and even then it seems like the plans for the character was to remain in Lima “teaching” the Glee club while everyone else got to move on. Sure he would be going to college mostly off screen but his story for the duration seemed to be stuck in that choir room.

16. Nichole says:

WHY? BECAUSE OF ‘VERY BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY OF KLAINE’ ? HUH?

17. T.A says:

No one could have foreseen this tragedy, but it’s such a shame Ryan decided Finn and Finchel had to be destroyed in S4. It was nothing more then a stall to keep Cory anchored to Lima in hopes of keeping the viewers interested in the Glee Club. So instead of further character and story line development they wasted season 4 on second and third rate talent and forced the best characters and actors on the show into the background in favor of this horrid new cast of sophomores and Blaine/Blam/Blee. It was such a waste and the biggest reason the ratings are in the tank.

18. Pam says:

Never could stand Finn, who soured me on Rachel too, for the most part, so seeing Rachel without him is not a deal breaker for me in any way. I just hope we don’t get even more deification of Finn, like we did in the tribute. It was a terrible character, not any kind of a hero. Cory is not Finn, before someone starts ranting at me.

• Lauren says:

Yes because watching Rachel in Season 4 with a male prostitute was so much better than Finn.

• scooby says:

Uh she never said it was. The options weren’t Finn vs. male prostitute. There are other men in the entire city of New York. C’mon.

• Patricia Nichols says:

THANK you Pam. I wouldn’t “dare” rant at you. I won’t say I couldn’t “stand” the character…..but I want to sort pull what Santana did in the Quarterback episode, after reading all this. Everyone is simply “mired” in the sub-reality of a television fantasy-world. A young boy is “dead” here children. I have no idea how old anyone is….and I am not asking anyone to ‘shout it out loud.’

Hey- I’m a *many years back* show choir kid myself. A veritable gleek from the 80’s standing here in the flesh. I survived.
      Yep- I enjoy the show. (Or I have) Yes- it’s slowly dragged down the ratings and rocky path or character interest….not unlike just about ‘every’ show in television history. (and I can say that AS a professional writer and ‘armchair’ critic)

But guys…I can also “step outside” my own head and realize that young Cory was walking around in a hell that he kept from everyone. (even those closest to him) God bless poor Lea, what we all “need” to be doing now for her if we truly give a rat’s backside about her is saying some prayers for her. I certainly have been since the announcement…..and I hope you join me.
      To lose someone you have chosen as your significant other….especially in a manner like this….is absolutely TRAGIC. I’m sorry…but right now. Screw the show. It will survive. Or it won’t. Shows float…They eb and flow with the certainty of the next coming tide. “IF” you truly care about these characters…..TRULY do….then care about the faces behind them.

These young actors lost a fellow friend. Lea lost her fiance.
      They are each and every one hurting in ways they are trying their VERY level best to hide for the cameras.
      They live by the motto…..”The show MUST go on.”
      That’s how we ‘all’ roll in Hollywood….no matter in what area we work, it’s what we learn very early here.
      Not a lot different than the Broadway rule.

We normally don’t speak up (writers, or any below the line staff)
      And no, I’m obviously not from the writing room at Glee. As one of you mistakenly thought that the room contained so many writers. Please let me dispel that falsehood, my friend. The writers are still the original two with Ryan Murphy overseeing creation. They work it all. (and despite the arguments) In terms of a story line….from a writer’s perspective, That “is” an amazing feat.

In any event….I spoke up merely to say,
      These actors are mainly, at the end of the day, still young kids.
      If you do truly think well of them….then hold them up in your good thoughts.
      In your prayers.
      They could well use it these next few weeks, months even.
      Maybe even years.

For in as much as they may wear brave faces.
      They are crumpled on the inside.

It is more than the character Finn Hudson who has died.
      Their friend…..Cory, is gone.
      He is not coming back.
      Forever.

This is not television….this is reality.

“Please…..think” on that.

I wish you all well.

19. Ava says:

For a series finale, I would like to see Rachel winning a Tony for Funny Girl and acknowledging Finn in her acceptance speech.

• Gunny says:

This would be perfect!!! I don’t apologize for loving that unlikely couple . I agree with the posters who didn’t like what they did to Finn in Season 4. It just didn’t fit with what we knew and loved about him. For awhile I thought they were trying to make Blaine the new Finn and I would have quit had that happened. Tony for Rachel in the last episode with flashbacks to Finn as she gets ready.

20. David says:

OF course the show is ending next season. The ratings have tanked. It probably would have been cancelled this season if Fox hadnt signed a 2 year deal. But that way theyll have plenty of episodes for syndication. I know old shows are already airing but they always want 100+ episodes

21. RS says:

Could never get into this show. However, in the entertainment world generally, I never miss those who stupidly court death and then get it.

22. Stella says:

So they were going to keep Finn in Lima for the next 2 seasons? Now we know why they promoted the Newbies to regulars. They needed them for Finn’s SL. So does this mean we are stuck with those sorry excuses for actors and singers or will they finally dump
    Lima and move the show to NY? I mean who is going want to watch that group once the current seniors graduate? They are terrible!

• Claire says:

They will never dump the McKinley/Lima side of the show because Ryan Murphy would have to admit that his new “stars” have largely been a bust. Plus, what would they do with Jane Lynch?

• NYGlee says:

Sue can move to NY and be Rachel’s manager. That would be comedy gold! And it doesn’t matter if Ryan admits it or not. Everyone knows the Newbies are a FAILURE and the biggest reason people DVR it and FF through the Lima crap.

• Camussie says:

More like Finn was going to be tied to Lima like he had some sort of weird Stockholm syndrome relationship with the place because they needed him to support the newbies. In season 4 that is how it was written for the most part. He supported them and their stories not the other way around

23. Lori says:

It’s good to know when the series will end but I doubt I’ll return as a full-time viewer. Half way through season 4 I gave up watching the show on TV and just started watching the NY scenes online.

• LOL says:

You and most of the Glee viewers! NY is the only thing Glee has that is worth watching! I either DVR & FF or wait for the NY stuff to hit the internet the next day.

• Cam says:

Same here. I stopped watching live mid season as well. I forgot the episode – it was the one where Brittany eats cereal off the floor – but I decided that it was just way too ridiculous and pointless for me to waste my time sitting through it. Watching the NY scenes online was the best decision I could have made.

• Anne says:

Me too. I would just DVR it and read the recaps to see if there was anything worth fast-forwarding to. I mean I’m not gonna watch a whole hour of live TV just for the 7-12 minutes I actually care about.

24. Boiler says:

Some of the comments on this article as well as all Glee articles show why this country in trouble!! You just say whatever the heck you want with no care for who you may hurt. This is a problem with all Glee articles

25. Kelly says:

I hated Finchel from the get go and the “season 6 was supposed to be designed around Rachel and Cory/Finn’s story.” isn’t brand new information, but I will never understand why they played off Finchel so much. Because, really and truly, Rachel wanted to achieve her dreams of being on Broadway and Finn was just weighing her down. Like all the time. Finn on the other hand, was next to worthless as a character. (the character, not Cory.) By the beginning of season 3 I started to really hate Finchel because it was such a boring pairing. Why can’t they just focus on something else? Like, I don’t know, maybe developing the characters that they already have, instead of focusing on new characters.

• It's just sad! says:

Glee has always been Finn and Rachel’s story. It was set up from the Pilot. Rachel’s inner struggle was always managing her professional dreams with her personal ones and Finn was significant because he taught Rachel that she could have both and was more then the sum of her talent. He wasn’t a weight on her. Rachel was significant to Finn because she taught him he was more then just the “jock popular kid”. She was teaching him how to dream. Sadly S4 lost it’s focus and they ended up destroying everything they had spent 3 years building so they could make the Blaine/Newbies Music Video of the week. In terms of character development only Finn and Rachel have ever been given development from the the start.

• Camussie says:

For all of the weighing down he supposedly did he consistently encouraged her aspirations. Before almost every big competition they had he told her that she would own the audience, he supported her audition for NYADA completely, he sent her off to New York by herself so his lack of having a dream wouldn’t get in her way, and his very last episode had him giving her good advice about what type of song to perform for her FG audition.

• scooby says:

Nah I have to agree, he did weigh her down (at the same time getting her off her one-track success goals to be more thoughtful about others, but that has consequences). She was pretty darn confident and self involved before she got together with Finn. She didn’t need the pep talks about her talent and future. Once she locked on, she started the career vs personal life argument in high school of all things. I mean how does this make a female character strong? Her future was revolving around a boy while she was a teenager. Something in her was willing to bail on her dream of Broadway to stay in Lima, frickin’ Lima, with Finn. He was a really nice guy, but had the professional aspirations of a rock. It sort of felt like Shue was living out his dreams vicariously through his students–he nearly ruined his relationship with Emma trying to be more and leave–and now Finn was making his life about pushing someone else’s future. I didn’t get a sense that he had any idea of making one for himself. It’s not like he always dreamed of being a teacher. He fell into it because it kept in his glory days of Glee Club at McKinley. He was stuck and Rachel was someone who wanted to get the heck out of Lima (except for visiting her dads or occasionally coming back to see Mr. Shue). Why was the message always to come back home? Kids trying to get married way too soon to start their future (e.g. Blaine/Kurt taking up the mantel now). Rachel’s career could never realistically support Finn. That goofy but sweet nurse for Sam was obviously meant for a college going Finn. Maybe ending up with her would’ve been better. They’d have a life in Lima that made sense. Rachel could still be his great love but if he really loves her, he’d let her go.

• Camussie says:

Disagree. While he never would have been a star and while it took him a year to find his dream I don’t think him wanting to be a teacher made him unsuitable for Rachel. Plenty of “stars” end up with those who aren’t in the business. Also while I agree Rachel at times lost her focus due to her feelings for Finn that was her choice not him weighing her down and each and every time she did he was the one who kept pushing her towards those dreams.

Also Finn was one who wanted to get out of Lima as well. In fact he said it in the very first episode of the series but once they split the narrative it seems like they felt like his character was needed to anchor that side of the canvas so suddenly he wasn’t good enough to leave even though last I looked they had teachers in New York and even colleges where he could go to prepare to be a teacher.

• Camussie says:

I should add that it is wholly unrealistic that every character on Glee would have had their dream fleshed out since childhood so I always thought it was good they had at least one character take some time to figure it out. Finn taking a whole 9 months to figure out what he wanted to do with the rest of his life after high school doesn’t make him less than nor does figuring that dream out through coaching ND. Really he is ahead of the game because most people don’t figure out what they want to do with the rest of their life until a few years into college and even then it can change down the line

As for the marriage it was a dumb idea which Finn realized and then took steps to correct.

• ftree says:

But she never needed someone to boost her confidence before Finn was in the pciture. That was her so called problem she was too confident in herself and it showed.

• Camussie says:

She also never needed to work with a group of people until her sophomore year and that tells me she would have needed to deal with the challenges of that, Finn or no Finn. Those challenges would have always included her having to deal with her concerns of representing ND well in competition.

• Janvy says:

I agree. Finn sucks and has always sucked. I look forward to more of Rachel’s journey without him.

26. Jake says:

It is weird to me that Glee keeps trying to blur the line between Cory and Finn. During the tribute episode, the hashtag was #rememberingcory, not rememberingfinn. In the quote above he says Rachel and Cory/Finn. It just seems strange, especially in light of what has happened that they keep continuing to try to merge the character with the actor who plays him. **Please note, i’m not hating on Cory. Just stating that it seems odd how they keep referring to things**

27. Nope! says:

Sorry Ryan, but after that disaster of S4 where you separated Finchel, made Finn the Newbies prop, gave Rachel a Man Ho BF, and made us sit through endless amounts Blaine, & Marley Sue and Co there is NOTHING you can do now that will give us satisfying ending.

28. alistaircrane says:

I stopped watching when they got rid of Terri. Judging by the comments, I made the right choice.

29. et al says:

It sounds like Ryan had most of season six outlined. I hope he doesn’t get too overwhelmed crossing out the words Finn and Rachel and writing in Blaine and Kurt instead.

• Please God NO! says:

You just made me throw up a little!

• melly says:

Poor Kurt. He was such an amazing character once- then Klaine happened. I’m sure the series will end with a Klaine wedding, and in the meantime Kurt will be shown as little more than a neurotic “bridezilla”.

• Mena says:

That alternative series storytelling just falls and unfulfilling. I adore Kurt without Blaine. Klaine is so boring. Well, I wish I could say that Rachel’s story of Funny Girl will excite me til the series end, but it won’t. I love Santana, but, she is Rachel’s roommate. Ryan Murphy, I’m afraid will have infused Blaine into NY. I still say, the end of Glee was when the grads graduated season 3. I’ll have fond memories.

• Penny says:

We all have our likes and dislikes or less favorites on the show. I still love Glee, even with all the changes. If it’s been really bad for 2 seasons, why are you still watching it? I’ve loved it still~ I would love to see a lot more of the original or almost original, including Sam and Blaine. There’s room in the show for all of them. We had Quinn, Mike, Brittany and Puck before and they’re gone so room for some of the others and there is good talent there. If you didn’t like the last 2 years you most likely won’t like this season or the last. Save us all the bother and skip it. I know I’ll be watching because no matter what anyone else says or likes, I’m a die-hard Gleek and proud of it. I love good music and talented artists and the show has tons of both, so I will definitely be watching to the bitter end!

30. Annie says:

I think the writing was on the wall after Fox renewed it for 2 seasons that it would end in s6.

I can’t say I’m really surprised that’s how they wanted to end the series. It’s very RIB.

I honestly stopped watching this shows in s4, It lost all the elements that made it great. The new kids were decent but they just didn’t capture you like the originals did.I don’t think it was completely right to force all the new kids last season because there was no way they were going to carry the show and ratings showed that. So I hope next season RIB realize that they need to focus majority on bringing back the originals for the final season.

31. Tracy says:

I hated Finchel but Ryan definitely messed up in season 4. That was the biggest filler season I have ever seen, I still can’t understand what the point was. He writes this giant contrived Break up episode (where everyone break up at the exact same time lol) and basically has all the characters wandering around doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the season. But that’s okay because Ryan had the FINAL scene of the series written out. What about everything leading up to it? Glee might not be half as crappy if the writers didn’t just take the easy way out and skip over the actual storytelling part. That’s kind of important. No one is going to care about the show by the time the final episode airs. Hell, no one cares now.

• Alice says:

Ryan wanted to franchise the show but had to keep around Lea/Cory/ChrisNaya or the fandom would seriously freak out (more so than they did) when the other vets were basically downgraded. Then he wanted to hire a whole new crop of actors and turn them into stars but it didn’t work….well that and the writing for the show sucks now there is no long term planning.

• Gunny says:

I can understand not liking all the characters. I love Glee, but not everyone on the show. But, I do know that Lea had the largest following of fans (Cory was second) – nearly twice as many Twitter followers as anybody else on the show, and she had more song downloads than anyone else. Of course, she and Cory would get the focus. This is a business. I don’t think Ryan really had any other choice but to bring in new kids – they needed a Glee Club. I think Marley and Jake are very talented.

• Yep! says:

S4 was filler and not even entertaining filler. Ryan’s doesn’t seem to be able to follow a series long term w/o getting bored and the show drifting aimlessly away from actual story telling.

• Anne says:

Glee always goes from point A to point D without showing B and C which is why I get annoyed when people claim it’s a well-written show.

32. Ann says:

Happy they will be able to end it with some closure for the characters, actors and loyal fans.

33. winston says:

Honestly, I’d love to see this as a chance for Puck and Rachel. Puck falls through with his plan for the army and continues to make a series of bad decisions and no one(Jacob) can get through to him. The loss of Finn hits him so hard, he hits rock bottom, and he seeks out Rachel for she was the only other person who knew him best. Through a series of arcs he helps her move on with her life and chase her star, writing music that will inspire her to be a better singer, and she helps him find his place in the world, musician for a female fronted band who he dates for a while much to rachels dismay and she eventually with kurts help realizes she feels something for him. She works up the courage to tell him through an original song her conflicted feelings (Her dead lovers best friend she now has feelings for) and why she has guilt moving forward. He tells her its worth a shot, they date for a while until his band has a breakthrough headlining gig for some band and shes been accepted into a uk revival of the Wizard of oz, they are conflicted as to what to do, but Puck showing his growth says if it’s meant to be they’ll come back to each other some day, because he’ll never replace her two true loves Finn and the stage, and he won’t stand in her way, he loves her and respects her too much for that, so go find your dream, like she helped him find his, and maybe one day her heart will open up to having three great loves. this happens at the airport btw. (P.s., Yes I posted this elsewhere, and yes haters feel free to be negative towards it)

• Kev says:

I never minded Rachel/Puck but I still always wanted Puck/Quinn. I know Quinn will prob never appear again but the ONLY time she was likeable was when she was semi with Puck. I prefer no love interests for Rachel (since everyone seems to think she can only have her career/Broadway) but… I would be more inclined for a separate, new person (NOT a prostitute LOL) than someone from her past.

• Gunny says:

Not sure that Rachel with Puck is a way of honoring Finn. Getting a Tony for best new artist or something like that is the best way. I could tolerate some evidence there would be a new guy, but I prefer she is just doing it on her own.

34. ash says:

If Ryan is going to continue to promote the show with Lea as it’s star he might want to start actually giving her screentime and not devoting the show to Blam duets in Ohio.

35. Jaime04 says:

I was never invested much in Finchel, but I love Lea. So happy Ryan will have the opportunity to do right by all the characters and give them closure. As stated previously, season 6 will most likely focus on Kurt & Blaine’s wedding (which I cannot wait for!) and Rachel’s Broadeay career. Love the show and will watch until the end!!!!

36. Penny says:

I refuse to read all of the above posts, because I really don’t care what other people think of the show or what they have to say about it. I LOVE IT!!! Have from the first episode I saw and will watch to the bitter end. The storyline is sometimes a little hoaky, but the musical talent is to die for and I have loved every minute of it. Has it always been the story line I would pick? No, but life doesn’t always go the way I would like so why should their lives be any different? I will miss this show very much; I love musical talent and these people are really talented; I truly hope to see them all succeed whether it be another musical for TV or on Broadway or movies. I wish them all the best. On the good side, I have the rest of this season and all of next still to enjoy. And I will~ every minute of it. And you haters out there, don’t watch the show if you don’t like it, but please just refrain from spoiling our enjoyment of it. You have the right to not like a show, but it isn’t necessary to “bash” it if you don’t like it. Just have a little consideration for those of us that are Gleeks and proud of it!

• Lydia says:

I love how anyone that disagrees with you is a “hater”. How very mature you must be.. Also, if you didn’t read the other comments how do you even know they weren’t positive? Please keep your stupidity out of the fandom.

• Penny says:

So you are telling me that “Should have ended after season 2. If you’re still watching this and you’re not a 14 year old, you must have the mind of one.” is just someone’s opinion? NOT. That is an insulting, hateful comment. Everyone has the right to their opinion, but there is no reason to be insulting to those that still enjoy the show. Kind of like you telling me to “keep your stupidity out of the fandom”. I didn’t say I don’t read the comments, read again. I don’t read ALL of the comments because of people like you who snap back with comments about “stupidity” to a person. Why can’t the discussion just be about the show without slinging insults at the person who writes the comment, without insulting or cursing at them. Plain and simple really!

• Cam says:

Just some advice…you should probably just stay away from the “comments” sections of most Glee articles if you’re so sensitive that a negative opinion about Glee spoils your enjoyment of the show. Sorry to say, but there are a lot of negative opinions about the show these days. Go visit a Glee fansite that worships everything Glee does. You’ll be much happier there.

• Robin says:

I have to agree. Story lines to the side, the musical talent is AWESOME. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

P.S. I would really like to see Rachel get a Barbra Streisand part on Broadway, she can certainly pull it off, and maybe Barbra sees her sing at some point, somehow, and they sing together.

• CD says:

Congratulations you are a retard that likes to watch stupid shows I cant wit till this trash tv show is gone for good less STUPID shows on tv the better!!!!

37. IMar says:

I wish this happen a spin off in NY with the original cast. Ask Mr Shu he wants to be in NY (Broadway too)

38. Mark says:

39. Alex says:

As of season 5 I am only interest in Rachel and Santana stories. I hope they have the ending they deserves.

40. jazzcolfer says:

Murphy underused Cory in season 4 to focus on blam and the newbies. Now all of the sudden Finn was going to be the focus of the show. That’s probably why he was sending him to “Lima University” instead of New York where the good stuff is. Yeah right. Even New York is undersused anyway except when blaine will go there, then it’ll become awful.

• WORD! says:

Ryan is doing damage control throwing a bone to scorned Finn and Finchel fans. He screwed up and they lost over 30% of their fans last season when it turned into Blee and the Klanie Season Premiere was so bad another 20% didn’t bother watching part 2. I don’t believe anything Ryan says anymore. From here on out it will probably be more terrible Newbies with a big dose of all about ME Blaine ruining the NY part of the show. Every once in a while we might get a Rachel, Santana or Kurt bone thrown out but don’t count on much.

• jazzcolfer says:

Exactly. Murphy gave up on the originals and keeps some of them around so the ratings wouldn’t tank more. The songs lists for episode 4 and 5 speaks volume. I wish Murphy would just let Cory rest in peace instead of constantly refering to him in regards to the show when Finn was clearly just a prop last year. I don’t care about what “trustworthy” Murphy supposedly had in store for finchel. Like someone said, It’s just a tv show, a man has died and we won’t forget “him”.

• Sil says:

Ryan Murphy has always said one thing and done something totally different through the seasons, so, his “word”has been proved skeptical. This is “damage control” and “save what’s left of the show”. Ryan and Fox execs have finally got the hint that fans don’t give a rat’s ars over their experiment of season 4 and continuation into season 5. Spin off is the only answer,but is too late. There were so many stories to tell. But, all they did was to stall and delay and fill in secondary stories. A wonderful man died. The character he played will never see his dream come true. We will never see it either. Finn and Rachel represented the essence of what Glee was about. now, it is a joke.

• Penny says:

Your opinion. Some of us love the show just for what it is. A story of a high school Glee club with some amazingly talented young people. Perhaps you expect too much. I expected exactly what the title called for and that’s what I got. Sorry Ryan Murphy doesn’t live up to your expectations but he met mine. But then I don’t expect so much from people. I didn’t pay extra to watch this show each week and he owes me nothing, but still I keep watching. All you people who are doing nothing but bitch, if you know the answers, why is it Ryan Murphy taking the big pay to the bank while you sit on your duff watching a show you seem to despise. Everyone’s a critic, but the worst are the ones that can’t do any better!

41. Trent says:

Is anyone actually surprised by this? I mean with the way the ratings are dropping (not just Glee but Fox overall) I wouldn’t be surprised if they get a shortened 6th season just to wrap it up and then the network does an overhaul…not that it’s really working for NBC.

42. Fernanda says:

the show now will end with Blaine and Kurt getting married 5 years in the future. Rachel will be one of the biggest stars in Broadway married with ????? and one little son called Cory Finn, Santana will still be single and becoming a professional soul singer. Brittany will become the new Sue Sylvester but in a reality show. Quinn will be an important polititian and activist who defends the arts program in high schools. Puck finally sells a movie script about a glee club in a small town, but Kurt, a famous screenwriter, tv producer(as Mr Murphy) and novelist picks that idea into a Television Show….. Back to Lima, there will be a highschool reunion when all the gleeks from the 2 generations will reunite in their old choir room in front of Finn’s picture and all of them sing a final song, ABBA’s Thank you for the music.

43. MikeyM says:

Pits time. The writers were never consistent with characters or plot lines. The only thing that has kept this show on is the music.
    They should bring back the College guy that was on last season. He should get back with Rachel.

• scooby says:

He was a male prostitute so no, maybe move on from that. Maybe she could try to do something will public school kids in NYC, one of those choirs or something, just to try to honor Finn’s memory and ends up meeting someone she doesn’t initially think of romantically because obviously she wouldn’t be ready yet. She even doesn’t have to end up with him on the show. Just give a hint that someone who’s a kindred spirit to the kind of man Finn was is there and she’ll be okay if she wants to be with him.

44. jw says:

The logical ending is Emma has a baby and they name him Finn.

45. This show should have ended 2 seasons ago. After the graduation, a bunch of stupid stories were developed with a no so much fun new cast. Tina and Artie still there! How is it possible? Were they in 7th grade when they started on Glee club? ABSURD.

46. Becky Ann says:

I need me some Jesse/Rachel. Why can’t they be end game? St. Berry are perfect for each other. They have the same dreams, etc.Have them meet up again when Rachel gets the role of Elphaba in Wicked, and Jesse gets Fiyero and they fall back in love over the course of rehearsals and end up getting married, living in NYC, not having kids and just being happy together, and Rachel never has to see Lima again, and she sometimes babysits Kurt and Blaine’s kids who call her Aunt Rachel and just I need it so bad.

• Camussie says:

I thought Rachel and Jessie clicked professionally but I never thought he would have made a good long term love interest for her. Rachel can be focused on her ambitions to the point of being selfish and Jesse would have only encouraged that. For example I think he would have looked up the address to the defunct crack house she sent Sunshine too instead of encouraging her to take a step back and seeing why that may have been wrong. On top of that if the choice came down to her and advancing his career at her expense he would have chosen his career.

• paniccord says:

@Becky Ann, agreed. I loved Jesse and Rachel together (both as a couple and musically, their duets were so good).

47. CBWBDK1 says:

Glee should have ended after season 3.

48. Rachel not blee says:

All I knw is the end better still be focused on Rachel and not Klaine or worse Blaine in any manner. All a long Ryan said it ended on Rachel he never mentioned before it ending on Finchel.

• Peach says:

I bet it will end with Rachel performing Dont’ Rain on My Parade while she wins the Tony for Funny Girl. Shue and her classmates in the audience clapping with some schmatlzy voice over about glee opening yourself up to joy but also heartache.

something like that.

• Penny says:

My Man- in tribute to Finn- also from Funny Girl. It’s the song I would have loved to hear her sing last week, but doubt she would be able to sing it then, One of my all time favorites of her singing and it was a tribute to Finn then

• Cal says:

YAS. I am so here for that!

49. Iya says:

About time!!! The show has been really bad for 2 seasons already. I just hope the final season will focus on the originals (not blam and the noobs) so that maybe I can watch.

50. tanya withem says:

I hope Kurt and Blaine get married and have a happy ending they are my favorites on this show

• courtney says:

same i wish i was marrying blan though he is heaven i have liked him since he came into the show in season 2 omg ilove him so much