Ratings: NCIS and The Originals Rise, S.H.I.E.L.D. Dips, Goldbergs Drops, Loser Returns Down

Ratings NCIS Agents of SHIELDCBS’ NCIS rebounded this Tuesday, besting Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the coveted 18-49 demo (rising three tenths to a 3.1 rating, per finals) as well as in, of course, total viewers (ticking up to 18.8 million).

NCIS: Los Angeles’ 100th episode led out of that with 14.7 mil/2.6 (flat week-to-week), while Person of Interest (12.7 mil/2.2) added some viewers and two tenths in the demo.

ABC’s aforementioned S.H.I.E.L.D. this week did 7.9 mil and a 2.8, down just a tenth in the demo. The Goldbergs (5.1 mil/1.6) dropped 16 percent in the demo, and Trophy Wife (4.1 mil/1.3) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | Has S.H.I.E.L.D. Found Itself Yet? Marvel Exec Jeph Loeb Answers That, Other Burning Qs

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser returned to 7 mil and a 2.2, down 27 percent from its January opener (which aired on a Sunday) to hit an all-time premiere low (but more on par with the regulary scheduled Monday episode that followed that). The Voice followed with 12.7 mil/3.9 (up sharply from last week’s clip show), and Chicago Fire (8.3 mil/2.4) in turn rose 12 and 14 percent.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Do You Believe in Life After Blake (After Blake) (After Blake)?

The CW’s The Originals drew its best numbers yet — 2.2 mil and a 1.1, up two tenths — while Supernatural (2.3 mil/1.0) shed a few viewers and two tenths.

Fox’s Dads (3.4 mil/1.4) inched up a tenth, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.4 mil/1.5) and The Mindy Project (2.8 mil/1.4) held steady and New Girl (3.5 mil/1.8) dropped 12 and 14 percent.

1. manokale says:

go cw, originals should get full season soon

• benis says:

“BUT ITS NOT AS GOOD AS BREAKING BAD” is what all you complainers are basically saying. when has an ABC show on at EIGHT PM ever been anything OTHER than a FAMILY SHOW. I CAPITALIZE different words to MAKE IT SEEM like some words are MORE important than OTHERS, but thats NOT true, every word SHOULD be treated EQUALLY. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR would have wanted it THAT WAY.

2. CBWBDK1 says:

No surprises there. Ncis is still number one while shield is getting worse rather than better.

• rowan77 says:

You clearly didn’t watch last night. Best episode to date.

• Esaul says:

The quality of an episode does not equal its rating.

• rowan77 says:

No it doesn’t, but since the episode was really great, I am saying that it is too soon to say the show isn’t worth watching.

• joe says:

It was not great at all. Talk about low standards. It’s a children’s show.

• Alan says:

yay name calling, thats definitely how to get people to agree with your point of view.

• rowan77 says:

It’s a family show – hence the 8pm time slot. And it was great. Interesting story, fun action, Ming Na kicking butt and another hint about Coulson.

If you don’t want to watch something aimed at the entire family, stop watching shows doing the family hour.

• wrstlgirl says:

Mediocre at best.

• rowan77 says:

Then stop watching. The last two episodes were mediocre. This past episode rocked.

• CBWBDK1 says:

No need to cry marvel fanboy. The episode was mediocre at best. What else do you expect with this horrible cast. Coulson is not leading man material. Skye is annoying as hell. The chinese woman is always grumpy. Ward is a robot and the geek twins are horrible.

• rowan77 says:

Then stop watching. I’m not a fan of Ward, but all shows at this point in their run are trying to find their footing. Characters need to have time to grow and change and the team needs to solidify.

Ming Na’s character has been grumpy because she was basically lied to by Coulson. Now she wants in on the action. The wonder twins are adorable – a mix of Willow and Topher with all of the cuteness and none of the obnoxiousness. Skye needs to become more formed as a personality and Ward needs to be less of a stick in the mud, but Coulson is cool. And he’s unaware of a big secret regarding his recovery. I see this show as having a great deal of potential and given time it my find it’s own voice. Even Buffy grew and changed, and would have Firefly had it lasted more than a half-season.

• et al says:

CBS procedurals are for the elderly and people who hope to someday earn a GED.

• Esaul says:

I have a high school diploma, working on a Bachelor’s degree as an English Major with Creative Writing as a focus. To me, the quality of the writing, acting, the chemistry of NCIS’ cast is better than S.H.I.E.L.D. And S.H.I.E.L.D. isn’t among the best quality works Joss Whedon has delivered.

• Eurisko says:

my counter point to your insulting one would be every network goes for a group of people. Look at ABC. It might as well be called Lifetime. All their shows are for chicks. Shield being the most guy friendly. FOX goes for the egdy youth and NBC tries to be a little bit like the other three. BTW. U of A grad here and i watch NCIS LA. I love my Mad Men but i also love my Kensi.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Most of the shows I enjoy are on ABC, and I am by no means a “chick.”

Good attempt though.

• Eurisko says:

I just meant most of ABC’s shows are geared towards chicks and it’s smart. Not that a guy couldn’t be into chick shows. I have a friend who’s watched Greys from the start and we give him a hard time for it. But Greys, Once/Time, Once/Wonderland, Revenge, Scandal, … chick shows. Network Lifetime.

• Dr. Rookie says:

PhD / In Engineering / Watch NCIS… and Criminal Minds!
        Sorry to debunk your theory.

3. Dmac says:

Well hopefully that ends all the “the show is going to fail without Ziva” by her shippers.

4. courts says:

I guess the people who left NCIS to try out SHIELD are moving back.

• Stacey says:

Not necessarily. NCIS had Voice against in the 8 p.m. timeslot until last week. So some of that viewership went to NCIS. I am sure there is some cross over with Shield in terms of viewers, but not a lot looking at viewership. But this the first time NCIS had outright won by a lot the HH against Shield. They have tied, or been close.

• courts says:

You don’t think there’s a correlation between SHIELD losing in the 18-49 demo and NCIS gaining? Hmmm.

• Stacey says:

Not a lot of correlation. I think Voice is tied more to NCIS. Shield only lost a bit from last week, it will adjust closer to what they had last week. NCIS bounced up in both HH and viewership. Shield and NCIS are very different. Sure some viewers of both… But losing Voice as a timeslot competitor helped NCIS.

• courts says:

That might be true. I myself skipped over to SHIELD and so did my family but went back to NCIS because it was so bad.

• Alan says:

you know the demos are relative comparisons right? there isnt some set in stone scale for how many viewers equates to the number so its entirely possible that people coming over from the voice pushed it up.

5. Liz says:

The originals and chicago fire it’s what my Tuesday is about! Goldbergs are funny too…;-)

6. Joe says:

I’m going to give up on Abc on tues , Shield is not doing the numbers ( even though it’s been renewed all season) expensive show. Goldberg and Trophy wife will be pulled soon , I’m quitting before abc pulls them

• tp says:

I hope they don’t cancel The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife. They are hilarious!!

• wrstlgirl says:

Shield is not doing it with me either. I haven’t completely walked away yet but I’m just not feeling it.

• Ann says:

I don’t think ABC is going to cancel Trophy Wife. It’s a real good show with a good cast. I don’t think ABC will give up on it too easily. I think they’ll move it to Wednesdays once Back in the Game and Super Fun Night get cancelled. I can see them moving The Goldbergs to Friday nights with their other comedies, or moving it after Modern Family.

• cjeffery7 says:

they’ve gotta get rid of The Goldbergs and give Trophy Wife a better lead-in. *likemoving itbehindmodernfamilyonwednesdayscough* which would require moving/cancelling Super Fun Night, which makes me sad because i wish Rebel Wilson all the success in the world, but i dont know if it can hold on with all the negative reviews its been getting. i dont think it’s as bad a people have been saying it is, but too much negative publicity can have an effect…

7. nathan says:

seriously tho what the hell does ABC expect its against NCIS like wtf…same with Revenge, Walking Dead, Homeland and other stuff

• Mikael says:

I agree that Sundays at 9 is a bad timeslot. Walking Dead, Homeland, Game of Thrones dominate. I wish they’d kept Revenge on Wednesdays at 10.

• Badpenny says:

I am not exactly certain what you are trying to say here. The top 3 shows of the night were: The Voice 4.0, NCIS 3.1, and AoS 2.8. ABC is happy with the AoS numbers. Last year they were barely averaging a 1.5 with shows like Dancing With the Stars, The Taste, and Wife Swap going against NCIS.

8. wrstlgirl says:

Chicago Fire was HOT last night….yeah, I know, lame :-) But it was another great episode all the way through.

• Elyse says:

Chicago Fire just might be my favorite show! i hope Chicago PD is just as good :)

• HeatherC says:

Chicago Fire was fantastic last night! I’m glad they’re getting stronger ratings this year and regularly winning that timeslot demo. Honestly, I was a little worried about them but they’re doing pretty great on Tuesdays! =)

• fabe says:

I’m not usually into procedural type shows, but Chicago Fire is just amazing. It does revolve more around the ongoing storylines of the characters, which I love. I was basically hyperventilating after last nights episode. I hope Chicago PD is great too cause I love Sophia Bush!

9. Andrea says:

Good news for NCIS!

10. Maria says:

Glad to see POI getting good ratings after its night/time change.

• bobbi says:

I am totally there with you, Marie on POI comment. I love POI. I was very happy when Root and Shaw were made regular series members.

11. Elyse says:

glad to see the Originals is up!! :)

12. Mikael says:

I’m glad Originals did better this week. I think I actually like it better than Vampire Diaries. I’m sad that SHIELD isn’t doing as well as expected because I’m a huge Marvel and Joss Whedon fan. I do like the show, but I feel like it’s missing something. It could be that I was hoping for Alias/Fringe.

13. prish says:

The husband says, “There are too many computer geeks in S.H.I.E.L.D., while there are only two in NCIS.” (in case the suits want some everyman feedback)

14. Sarah says:

I’m so not thrilled that Dads went up. But I am happy about The Originals. :)

15. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Dads isn’t as bad a show as everyone makes it out to be. I thought it was going to be awful but it turned out it isn’t very offensive and at times can be laugh out loud funny. Not as good as B-99 or New Girl but its decent.

16. Jared says:

Yay for THE ORIGINALS!

17. faby says:

shield drop and drop LOL

18. John 1138 says:

NCIS deserved the bump, nice episode. Happy for POI. The POI writers tweeted that they had an issue because it turns out the actor who plays “Bear”? Not thrilled about veterinarian setting…… :D

• Andrea says:

You about gave me a heart attack! When I first started reading your comment, I thought you were going to say Bear was leaving POI. So glad hat I was wrong because I love Bear!

• John 1138 says:

I’m loving their integrating him into the team, though apparently against Finch’s wishes from his fussy tone (okay, MORE of his fussy tone…) when he remarked about Baer getting his shots scheduled for [i]when he wasn’t involved in an undercover mission[/i]…

The “expensive chew toy out front” remark might have been an inside joke because last week the POIWritiers tweeted a photo of a huge crate of those big rawhide chew toys that he apparently went through while they filmed that episode….

Sorry about the scare!

• John 1138 says:

Here’s the Tweet: “Melissa ScrivnerLove ‏@mscrivnerlove 16h
          Forgot when I was writing this scene that Boker (Bear) might not be a big fan of the vet’s office. #PersonOfInterest”

It had been retweeted bySarah Shahi

• bobbi says:

I love the veterinarian setting. “Bear” was on a covert mission and he played his part well

19. Mark says:

The problem with SHIELD is that it’s too formulaic. Case by week type shows are dull. I want more of a mythology and cases that span several episodes if need be. I wish the show was a bit more like Heroes. Also with so few main characters, everyone always feels safe. No character is ever in any real danger which makes the show boring too.

• kresh says:

Case of the week episodes is what makes me not want to a lot of shows. i mean aaaaa loooot of shows…

• nd says:

NCIS does the same exact thing, procedurals, and its one of the top shows in the world. I cant stomach it. After the first few seasons (caught the reruns on USA network) I got bored with the same old same old. Literally nothing has changed about the show in the past decade. And now I hear the Ziva character is gone. Whatever will they do now.

20. sarah says:

So happy that Originals, Chicago Fire and Person of Interest.

21. Drew says:

The Originals has better writing than SHIELD and that is… not good. The quality of this high budget, high profile show is unacceptably low. A supposedly smart character who can’t work a handgun safety? Seriously?

Maybe if there was a single character who wasn’t stupid and annoying.

22. barbara says:

who needs you ziva last night excellent episode with all the other stars tony even got a head slap!!!! i also think agent susangrady was great

23. Tammy says:

So excited that The Biggest Loser is back and that the Velvet Teddy Bear is on it. Already love his attitude! But how did someone lose over 30 lbs in one week?????

24. Jared says:

Its hard when you market a series about super hero’s and then not have any super hero’s in the show. Instead its just a group of tech wizes trying to help/find people with special powers that nobody has ever heard of. Fans of the show seem to say that SHIELD is missing something. Its the lack of Marvel hero’s. Fans expected a super hero show and unfortunately Shield isn’t that at all.

• Drew says:

I would settle for a good, smart show about an intelligence agency in that world. The problem is that the characters aren’t very smart or competent. They fumble around until the episode is over. Half of the characters are supposed to be geniuses and they’re really not too bright.

They try to make up for it with cute dialogue, but who watches a spy show for cute factor? So I think you’re partly right in that the show isn’t what people wanted/expected, but it also isn’t very good at what it is. “Chuck” was far better at what this show is trying to be.

25. Evan says:

The Originals keeps getting stronger and stronger…. it’s already imo a better show than TVD!!!

• wrstlgirl says:

I like The Originals but that’s not really saying much though. TVD just keeps telling the same stories over and over again just with a slightly different twist.

26. cjeffery7 says:

call me crazy, but heres my idea for ABC. movie trophy wife behind Modern Family, and move Super Fun Night into its slot. Or put it right after SHIELD having canceled the Goldbergs because ABC REALLLY has nothing to pair the Goldbergs with, and leave Trophy Wife where it is. Well, maybe that doesn’t make oodles of sense, but Tophy Wife needs a better lead-in.

• Zach says:

I honestly thought Trophy Wife was kinda meh. It’s better than Super Fun Night, but that’s not saying much. I like Akerman and Whitford, and they have good chemistry, but the show is so damn cutesy.

On the other hand, The Goldbergs has a lot going for it. Unlike with Trophy Wife, the kids actually seem to be talented. Last night’s episode was ridiculously funny. I hope ABC sticks with it, and more importantly sticks with Back in the Game.

• cjeffery7 says:

i agree that the Goldbergs actually has a wonderful cast and it definitely makes me laugh, but i have developed no loyalty to it and i dont expect it to be the mainstream hit that trophy wife has more potential to be. the Goldbergs needs a partner show with a similar vibe. it’s kind of an orphan right now. if it cant find that partner it may very well go kaput.

27. John says:

SHIELD is just flat out not delivering in any conceivable way. The actors are wooden, the characters are thin and about as interesting as cardboard. The case of the week is completely boring and feels redundant. Even the sets are cold and lifeless mirroring the shows overall tone. They’ve basically doubled up on two of everything actor wise, Coulson and May are stoic and calm, the tech kids are just practically yelling over each other they’re always so excited and Ward and Skye are our everyman cyphers who cannot fathom a moment when they are not amazing at everything. This team doesn’t gel because not one of them is original or interesting enough to care about. I love Joss Whedon and I love Marvel but this is starting to feel like a train wreck. Shut down, retool, recast, rewrite and reopen before it’s too late.

• Katherine215 says:

Agree with most everything you’re saying, but I don’t find it cold. It’s actually too bright for me. When I think about aliens/scifi/action shows, I think about Xfiles, Fringe, and Alias, and all of them had a greyer color palatte and less emphasis on bright and sunny settings. It’s too cheerful looking to jibe with the premise.

28. wjrxyz says:

I noticed the NCIS promo had Mike Franks ghost again. They killed off a very popular character and have to keep bringing him back.

• Kim R says:

Not a ghost in this episode…it was a flash back for Gibbs that directly related to the issue at hand in last night’s story. :)

29. Tee says:

Shield isn’t great, and doesn’t seem to be picking up at all storywise. Not sure if it’s the acting or the character development, but all but a couple of the characters just feel off. Especially Skye and Grant. It’ll be lucky to see a season 2, and doubt it will see beyond that, and betting I won’t miss it.

30. rachel says:

I had some apprehensions about the originals but I was happily proved wrong. it’s a lot better than tvd right now and deserves those rising ratings!

31. Tee says:

Originals… have only seen the first 2 eps so far, but not thrilled to have Elijah out of play so fast. I never was crazy about the baby mama storyline (and no, not because of ‘Klaroline’) and the actress seems like she’s playing the same character she did on the Secret Circle. And I could take or leave her there. I’ve heard she was great on some other show, so maybe it’s just fail writing x2.

But I do like Rebekah being there, Marcel seems like an interesting character, and there are no “save Elena” storylines (yay).

32. ivane71 says:

re shield. I haven’t seen it what i do see is its showing in the UK. we usually wait about a year. makes me think it hasn’t a long shelf life and ABC are trying to get some investment back while they can. marvel. and joss Sheldon have few followers over
    here

33. Whatever says:

Love the Originals actually more than TVD.
    The Shield is really not Joss Whedon’s best work or even his best mediocre work. I did like Coulson but that’s about it. I really wanted to like the show but I have to take it off the DVR.

34. mike says:

LOL, this page kills me. A demo drops 2/10 of a point and everybody panics, or talks smack depending on whether they like teh show or not. NCIS draws viewers. That SHIELD is getting the ratings it gets now is probably amazing. And like all Whedon shows, it will grow and develop. and NCIS is not going anywhere.

35. tejasjulia says:

S11 of NCIS is shaping up to be the best season in a long, long time. Getting rid of the deadwood has worked wonders for it.

• PaulM says:

Oh look, “tejasjulia”, the “professional” writer is trying to be clever, (please stop, you are seriously embarrassing yourself) with a “deadwood” comment. Only deadwood I see is yourself……..it truly takes one to know one.

36. Kim R says:

I watch NCIS but PVR SHIELD. I am really enjoying the latter. I like the older type of music they use in their score and I’m enjoying the feel of it. It reminds me of Get Smart a little. Not as comedic but gadgets and the music! Have I mentioned the music?? :)

37. S. says:

Seriously strong episode of The Mindy Project last night. Great cameo in the beginning, but I won’t spoil it. The show’s getting better and better. I enjoy the guest actor choices. They’ve really all done a nice job keeping the show fun and not making me hate them for distracting from Mindy/Danny with the new guys. I hope they get the audience they deserve. I need my Mindy on Tuesdays.

38. Dee says:

My God. What a fantastic NCIS episode we got last night.

Where the hell have these kinds of episodes been for the past 4 or 5 years????

Head-slapping, misunderstandings, insecurities, seriously, where have *these* characters been??

I do like The Originals a lot. More so than Vampire Diaries.

Haven’t seen the Shield episode but will get around to it.

I loved Supernatural, Dean always trying to keep his “family” together. God love that man.

39. Fernando says:

Come ABC move Goldbergs and Trophy Wife to wed. And move SFN and Back in the game or cancel both

40. Guest! says:

Why must you keep bringing up Ziva? I really don’t see any comments here from Ziva lovers lamenting her loss and bashing the other characters. Why do you feel the need to continue bad mouthing a character that is no longer on the show? Geez, give it a rest. You that dislike her talk more about her than those of us that miss her.

41. NoChance says:

“NCIS” still had the overall numbers over “SHIELD” it just rebounded in the cherished by advertisers “demographic” – one day I was part of that group and literally the next (day I turned 50) I became irrelevant to them.
    As far as I’m concerned “NCIS” is still “The Little Engine that Could”.
    I’m sure the show itself has been very happy with it’s numbers here in Season 11.

42. Annie says:

I too am glad that NCIS is doing just fine. A relatively few CdP fans with waaaay too much time on their hands have been ranting, and verbally abusing cast members and CBS execs, and throwing tantrums all over the internet for 3 months now. They seem to be ardently hoping that NCIS will flounder and tank because for them, this show is a vehicle for CdP’s career and their only interest seems to be a soap opera featuring Ziva/tiva. They can’t seem to grasp that millions of fans don’t feel that way and enjoy TEAM NCIS and like it as a crime procedural dramady. Personally I hope these overly melodramatic yellers find some other tv show to wrap their lives around, or better still, put this whole tv thing into perspective.

I have enjoyed the last two episodes more than any I’ve seen in a couple of years and am looking forward to this week’s Tony centric episode and don’t miss the snarky smug comments and reaction takes or smirky, snotty laughs from Lil’ Miss Superior.

43. MST says:

I love The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife, these are the best sitcoms I’ve seen in years, with funny kids (esp. Goldbergs) and quality writing without an asinine laugh track . Shield I was about ready to give up on, but this past week’s episode was very good. Skye and Wade are annoying but improved slightly this week. I’m hanging in there and so glad POI is back!