Kerry Washington to Host Saturday Night Live

Kerry Washington Hosts SNLThings will get a bit Scandalous in Studio 8H when Kerry Washington makes her debut as a Saturday Night Live host.

RELATED | SNL Vet Explains Diversity Woes: Is a Lack of ‘Ready’ Black Female Comics the Problem?

TV’s “It” girl will lord over the long-running sketch comedy series on Nov. 2, NBC has announced. Joining her will be Eminem, with his sixth turn as an SNL musical guest.

Just think — if “Olivia Pope” shows up to “fix” the government shut-down, we may get an Obama-centric cold open worth watching.

VIDEO | Seth Meyers Clarifies His Saturday Night Live End Date

As previously announced, preceding Washington as SNL host, on Oct. 26, will be actor Edward Norton, with musical guest Janelle Monáe.

1. Justin says:

Why is she hosting? There’s no way that she could possibly be funny.
    She’s black.

• Matt says:

Please tell me you are joking because if you aren’t this is the most racist comments I have ever heard!! Seriously?

• magreeda says:

I’m pretty sure Justin is being sarcastic because there was just an article on TVLine yesterday about how SNL can’t find funny black women to hire for the show.

• Matt says:

I actually did read the article, but I do need to apologize because you are probably right about him being sarcastic, and I do have to admit that I rushed to judgement on this one!

• tp says:

This is why I like this site better than others. There are actual grown-ups here who apologize. My hats off to you Matt. Have a good one :)

• Justin says:

Yes. That was sarcastic humor because yesterday – Kenan Thompson made ridiculous comments. I took it upon myself to point out the irony in a sarcastic manner.

2. T.t says:

It’s funny how yesterday you talked about there being only 2 black female hosts in the last few years and now we have a third. Someone over at nbc is a fan of tvline.

• Shannon says:

I was just thinking yesterday that Kerry Washington should host SNL after reading that article…and now she is. Hmmm… ;)

• Sarah says:

I was thinking the exact same thing!

• S. says:

Clearly NBC pays a lot of attention to advice from Shannon, Sarah, and myself. ;) I specifically mentioned Kerry before so that’s hilarious. I mean, we bring the knowledge. Glad we’re finally getting recognition. (They were probably already thinking about it but let’s take credit while we can.)

3. Amilah says:

Wow, I am excited and a little concerned. Im not sure she can be funny. This seems like kner jerk reaction to your story yesterday abiut the lack of women of color on SNL. I wonder if NBC is just trying to capitalize on the success of Scandal.

• Shannon says:

Scandal is on ABC

• Brooke says:

What an odd comment. Kerry Washington is blowing up everywhere after her roles in Djano Unchained and Scandal. She’s on magazine covers that have never/rarely featured black women on their covers. She’s a legit talent and is receiving well deserved notice all over. That she’s hosting SNL is no surprise at all. She’s current and relevant and many people are a fan of her these days. It would be stranger for SNL to ignore her.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Seriously.

• Tracey says:

Brooke, I agree with you 1000% !!!! This is Kerry’s time and all of the attention she is getting is completely deserved!! i usually don’t watch SNL, but I will definitely be watching to support Kerry!! Go Kerry Go!!!!

• This is a silly comment. Knee-jerk reaction? As if you can get a busy person like KW to agree to host last minute. This has likely been in the works for a while — but COINCIDENTALLY announced now with SNL being under fire for a) rarely having black female hosts and b) Keenan Thomson’s unfunny behind saying there were no funny black comediennes trying out for the show.

• If you have any doubt about her comedy skills I recommend watching an early episode of Psych called “There’s something about Mira” where she plays Gus’ crazy ex-wife. She is AMAZING and almost unrecognizable, at least compared to “Olivia Pope”. I randomly re-watched it after seeing the first season of Scandal (and becoming mildly obsessed) and it still took me halfway through the episode to realize it was Kerry Washington.

• Anne says:

Clearly, you didn’t see her in Psych – she was crazy hilarious as Gus’s ex-wife.

4. Alyssa says:

YES! She is a fantastic actress, and she can be hilarious. She’s also an alumni of my school. You go Kerry!

5. merjutt says:

Oh! Whoopee! That’s breaking news???!!

6. et al says:

I certainly hope comedic legend Kenan “good burger” Thompson can get poor, hapless, Kerri Washington ready in time!!!

7. Seriously, People who think this is a knee jerk reaction to Keenan’s speaking out is an idiot. These hosting gigs don’t come up from Lorne Michaels sending Kerry a text. This process takes a couple weeks at least of ironing out details between agents and legal. This was already in process before Keenan opened his mouth and spoke without thinking. Why wouldn’t it be? She was nominated for an Emmy, in an oscar nominated film, and won 2 image awards in the last year. She is huge right now, so quit your conspiracy theories.

8. Ed says:

I’ve given up hope on SNL, I miss the old days circa 2001

9. doug says:

Jane you ignorant slut….

10. Kristi N says:

Awesome! Kerry Washington is the best!

11. Suzanne Dawson says:

I hope there is a Sleepy Hollow skit! Was she the actress in Little Man? If so, she was funny!

12. Mark says:

She was just in a Tyler perry movie this summer. Now maybe we’ll be able to see if she can do comedy.

• the tyler perry movie that was released this summer called “peeples” with kerry WAS a comedy.

• Jellymoff says:

That movie was just produced by Perry, not written or directed, so he can’t really be blamed if it was terrible. I didn’t see it, so I don’t know. That being said, I’m not questioning how terrible Perry is.

13. do it says:

She’s the lead on a 22-episode-a-season broadcast drama. I can’t believe she has time to do this. That’s some serious work ethic.

14. Miss VCI says:

This is all too perfectly timed, i’m convinced that Kenan purposely made that controversial statement about “no ready black women” to make the announcement of the 1st black female host in a while a bigger deal and boost ratings which face it SNL needs that.